Kagan appointment shows, Jews are the new WASPs

"Behind the law are people’s stories," Barack Obama said today in nominating Solicitor General Elena Kagan for the Supreme Court opening. He bragged on her bringing diversity and being the grandchild of immigrants, but didn’t mention that she’s Jewish. Already today two reporters on National Public Radio, both Jewish (I think), did. Nina Totenberg and Ari Shapiro said there will be no Protestants on the Court when John Paul Stevens leaves. Assuming Kagan gets in, there will be three Jews (all appointed by liberal Democratic presidents), and several Catholics.

The Kagan appointment means that we have entered a period in which Jews are equal members, if not actually predominant members, of the American Establishment. Obama’s two closest political advisers are Jewish, Rahm Emanuel and David Axelrod, and are said to be his foreign-policy braintrust. The economy is supervised to a large degree by Jewish appointees, Larry Summers and Fed Reserve Board chair Ben Bernanke (Time’s man of the year last year, a selection overseen by Rick Stengel, the Time magazine editor, who is also Jewish).

Recently a Jewish friend in the media said, "We’re the new WASPs," referring to the patrician class that used to represent the elite in American society.

How did this happen and what does it mean?

Elena Kagan’s parents’ generation experienced anti-Semitism in seeking position, but her generation experienced no such discrimination. We exploded on to the scene in the 1970s, in the age of the "meritocracy," when test scores increasingly determined precedence.

"Theirs was a religion oriented to continuous contact with texts: a culture of handling books, reding them, and reflecting on their messages.," Jerry Muller writes in Capitalism and the Jews. "Jews came from a culture that favored the nonviolent resolution of conflict, and that valued intellectual over physical prowess. All this was a recipe for what economists call ‘cultural capital.’"

Muller also says that as an afflicted minority, Jews learned to look out for one another.

This was once a recipe for disaster. In the late 19th century, Jewish prevalence among the professions and real-estate ownership in the big central European cities of Vienna, Berlin, Prague and Budapest led to an anti-semitic reaction. Muller notes that half of Hungarian doctors, lawyers and journalists were Jewish before World War I (including, originally, Theodor Herzl).

People don’t talk about Jewish achievement because they fear that doing so will breed anti-Semitic reaction. I grew up hearing that Jewish prevalence in the U.S. professions was just what it was in Europe before the Holocaust. But this is not actually true: Today in the U.S., Jewish prominence exceeds the Jewish presence in Europe, because today we are leaders in many fields, we are granted governing powers. Elena Kagan was the dean of Harvard Law School. She was succeeded by another Jewish woman.

This is a glorious Jewish and American moment. Never before in history have Jews been so included, so trusted, as we are in the U.S. People know this and accept it. Americans like Jews in powerful positions. How else do you explain the number of Jewish senators, from places like Wisconsin, Oregon, and Minnesota?

What are the consequences of this achievement? Well, for one thing, it will not last. We are now the models, and Jewish cultural gifts are transferrable. Others can cultivate habits of study. Jews are wealthy by and large–the wealthiest American group by religion, far outstripping Episcopalians--and wealth and gumption don’t mix.

This moment is sure to transform Jewish life, too. No longer can Jews tell themselves, as my parents told me, that we are outsiders. We’re principals in American society. We cannot claim the traditional privileges of a minority, to look out for one another. We have great responsibility for the whole society.

So this moment is going to change Jewish identity forever. It was always asserted by parochial Jews that Jews could not fully assimilate into western societies; we were not wanted. This is simply not the case any more.

The Kagan moment spells not just the end of anti-Semitism, but the end of Jewish responses to it, including the Israel lobby. Muller ends his book by suggesting that Jews should be Zionists, because Zionism was a natural nationalistic response to western nationalism that left no place for Jews. But Muller is a historian, and that is a historical judgment. That moment is over. Jews are fully empowered in the most powerful country in the world. It’s time to get our heads around that fact. We have reached our rendezvous with destiny, and this means coming to terms as equals with the people whom Jews in rising have most dispossessed, Palestinians.

Posted in American Jewish Community, Israel/Palestine, US Politics

{ 113 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Mooser says:

“a culture of handling books, reding them, and reflecting on their messages.,”

And I swear it’s all true, as God is our proofreader!

• Mooser says:

That’s what I love about being Jewish! You can spout crap about how smart we are, how bookish, how much we acheive, and none of it has to be substantiated in any way! What a life! It’s like all the unsubstantiated things they say about blacks and Arabs, only in reverse.

But then again, who would know exactly how smart Jews are, and how much they have accomplished, besides a Jew? Just ask one!

2. Participants in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore maybe, DC and Virginia suburbs maybe, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami.

I think you’re generalizing from your own experience.

And, the comments about ethnically defined screens even to consider “over-representation” are arbitrary and invites prejudice.

You site the range of Jewish professional participation in big cities within Germany prior to the first right-wing “populist” drift in which the nazi party achieved participation in a coalition, and then later dominance, then establishment of martial law and permanent negation of the legislature and courts. To then state “it can’t possibly happen here”, is flawed logic.

It probably won’t happen here, thankfully. But, “can’t” is a big big word. (I know you didn’t say exactly “can’t”.)

• Mooser says:

“It probably won’t happen here, thankfully.”

Aww, don’t say that Richard! I have great faith in you! If anyone can accomplish it, you can! After all, look what you accomplished with your son!

• Mooser says:

“Still swimming upstream in Portland, OR (where I got my undergraduate degree), the south, midwest, rural areas.”

And from the pogroms in Des Moines, you shouldn’t know!

• My son does not post here, nor do you know him personally at all. Any representation that you present about my son would be a misrepresentation.

• “I avoid those places, religiously (NPI). All those Jewish skulls on posts outside of the city gates really bring me down!
          And from the pogroms in Des Moines, you shouldn’t know! ”

It conflicts with Phil’s generalization that Jews are solidly in the mainstream, accepted in the elite, partially true.

• Mooser says:

“My son does not post here, nor do you know him personally at all.”

Why not? Give the kid a link, fergod’ssakes, and have him join the fun.
          But you are right, Witty, I only know what you yourself told us about him! If you are so goddam sensitive about the unbalanced, emotionally bankrupt, fearfully neurotic, sexually repressed (if not worse) dispossesser and potential murderer you raised, why the hell did you mention him? You were the one who told the story of the notebook and the flight to Chabad as if it reflected well on your son and your parenting. Guess what, Richard, it don’t, and you can’t make it do so.

• Mooser says:

Richard, you only need to press the “report abuse” button once.
          Try the “report self pity” button, it might work better.

• Mooser says:

“It conflicts with Phil’s generalization that Jews are solidly in the mainstream, accepted in the elite, partially true”

You know it, Richard! When I see all those crucifixes outside Portland, with the signs “This is what we do to Jews”, it really gives me the willy’s!

• Mooser says:

To be fair, Richard, I must stipulate that if you think that being chabad and a settler is the best contribution a person can make to Judaism and Zionism, I really have no evidence to dispute that. It just might be, under the circumstances.

• yonira says:

you are a being more of a prick than usual Mooser, trouble with your goyish wife?

• Mooser says:

Yonira, you will soon know all the joys and challenges of holy matrimony yourself, you won’t need to ask me. Set a date yet?
          One thing I never have figured out, is what’s Judaism’s rules about pre-marital sex? For it or agin’ it? Can you enlighten us on this?

• Avi says:

Mooser,

You better ask eee. He’s the resident ‘authentic Jew’. If anyone knows, it’s him. He even has a certificate of authenticity to show for it and it only cost him two installments of $19.99.

• Mooser says:

Authentic! Of coss! And I thought he was saying “atheist”! I never get it right.

• Mooser says:

Anyway, I looked it up, and the Talrah (or was it the Tomud?) says it’s fine, dandy to have pre-marital sex with your non-Jewish girl friend, as long as she intends to convert. Or if you intend to have her intend to convert.
          As far as post-marital sex, Judaism is very strict about that.

3. eee says:

Phil,

“We had certain cultural advantages for the globalized meritocracy. Jewish culture favors scholarship, close families, and abstention from alcohol. The traditional basis of advancement, attachment to the land, meant little in the new age of American professionalism. Kagan’s parents were both bookish, her mother a teacher, her father a lawyer. She said today that her brothers are also public school teachers.”

Jews are 2.2% of the population of the US. That means that if there were no different than the gentile population there would be 2.2% times 9 or 0.2 Jewish supreme court judges. When there are 3 judges, there would be 3 divided by 0.2 or 15 times as many Jewish judges as expected. Are Jewish families 15 times more bookish, cohesive anti-alcohol etc. than gentile families? Of course not. We can repeat this analysis in other areas where Jews are predominant and get similar results.

You need to find another explanation. Unfortunately, I don’t have an explanation either. Also, since your explanation is obviously wrong, it could be that what Jews have is not transferable to the general population and that Jewish advantage is not fleeting. What is fleeting are the Jews themselves. The America diaspora may assimilate almost fully in 3-4 generations.

• annie says:

impeccable logic!

• Mooser says:

. “We can repeat this analysis in other areas where Jews are predominant and get similar results”

Thanks, “eee” (I’ve never, ever known a Jew with that name, not even an “atheist Jew”) for confirming all those stories of Jewish nepotism! I feel a lot better about my future now.

Mooser,
          Nepotism is prevalent in all populations. However, there is no nepotism involved when recruiting college professors or granting pulitzer prizes or supreme court judges or Field Medals. Nepotism is not the answer to why Jews do well.

• Mooser says:

“Nepotism is not the answer to why Jews do well.”

I never thought so either, “eee”. Frankly, I put it down to a blessing from God. Straight from the Head Jew His own Self!
          No doubt you agree, as a Jew: all our blessings come from God!

• Mooser says:

“As an atheist Jew, I reject that explanation. Since God does not exist, nothing comes from him.”

I can die happy now! I have lived to see “atheist Jew” become a shibboleth! Who’d a’ thunk it?

• my spouse’s law firm (for the past 15 years headed by the son of a Polish Catholic immigrant plumber) has one hard, fast rule: NO relative of a firm member may be hired to work with the firm. Our own sons had to find their own way in life, with no ‘affirmative action’ based on tribal affiliation or the hard work of their parents.

• eee says:

It is impeccable back of the envelope probability computation. What is wrong with it? If a certain community is 2.2% of the population and there are 9 supreme court judges you would expect there to be 0.2 judges from that community which means that 80% of the time there is no one from that community on the court and 20% of the time one person from that community is on the court.

• Mooser says:

I’m not disagreeing with you “eee”. Your impeccable computation more than proves that America today is a welter of nepotism and favoritism for connected Jews. And such naches it brings you!

“still afraid to talk about their success?”

What? I should go shouting through the streets for the Evil Eye to come to my house, and give us all cholera?
          A hell of a lot you know about Jewish culture, boychik!

Reminds me of a story I haven’t told more than six times before: I was at a fancy Bar Mitzvah, when the older brother of the Bar Mitzvah boy swept into the catering hall for the reception, in his new Barney’s suit. This paragon of modern American Judaism was immediately under discussion, and was described thus: “Oy, thats Jonathan, his older brother. Post-grad at Columbia, on the tennis team, and you should hear him davan! His mother turned to the group of her son’s admirers, and said “Ach, Der tate oysn oygat, he’s too smart for his own good!” or something like that. You don’t want to screw around with the Evil Eye, baby! And the naches you get from a kid like that is sure to attract it. So you deprecate.
          Are you really Jewish, or just faking to get the quarterly checks, “eee”?

Mooser,

You can take the yid out of the shteitel but you cannot take the shteitel out of the yid. You really need to make aliyah or convert.
          You say: May good bless the Czar, and keep him far away from us. (Shalom Aleichem)
          I say: Fuck the Czar (paraphrasing Ben-Gurion and Jabotinsky)

I am quite sure I am right.

• Mooser says:

Sorry, “eee”, I’m just a stupid God-believing Jew and you are flying way too post-modernist high for me. So ‘splain it to me, Ricky

Is Obama “the Czar”, or is Netanyahoo?

But you, “eee”, as the Communist or Anarchist rebel and revolutionary, why, that part rings so true!

• >> I don’t have an explanation either.

Oh come on, 3e, spit it out! It’s them precious high octane genes! Be honest — we promise not to call you a supremicist….

• eee says:

If you have evidence it is the genes, I would like to see it. I have not seen convincing evidence.

What is your explanation?

• Mooser says:

“If you have evidence it is the genes, I would like to see it.”

Next time, look at your palm with a high-power magnifying glass before you wash it off. Too bad those little guys are all brain, and no, (if you get my meaning) brawn, birth-rate wise.

I’m telling you, “eee” it’s all about hybrid vigor, baby!

• eee says:

What is your explanation Mooser?

• >> I have not seen convincing evidence.

Oh, now, you’re being disengenuous, 3e. By *your* logic, advancement of jews is not due to social effects. And you fret about assimilation (miscegenation?) in the US, which may be taken as a worry these precious, high octane genes might get watered down going forward.

If it looks like a duck, ….

C’mon, be honest, 3e. Tell us what you really think! Promise not to pen in any ASCII goosestepping characters, as per: |- |- |- |- |-.

• Mooser says:

What is your explanation Mooser?”

Finally! It’s about time you admitted you don’t know your ass from a hole in the ground, and you need to ask somebody who knows a hell of a lot more about it.

And my explanation is that it’s a bunch of bullshit. Jews are mostly just like everybody else, only more so. Everybody knows that.
          But thanks for asking!

• eee says:

My position is that I have not seen convincing evidence for any explanation. I do not reject a social explanation. I reject the ones presented so far. There may be a convincing social explanation. I have not seen it.

I do not fret assimilation in the US as it is done freely and without coercion. If a Jew wants to intermarry I do not see it as a problem. I am just saying that this has consequences. I don’t view it as bad that the Jews in the US will mostly assimilate. I am just pointing out that the future of the Jews is in Israel because of this phenomenon.

And that is what I really think.

What is your explanation?

Mooser,

So according to you it is just luck that Jews are over represented in the supreme court and in other elites. Ok. Got it.

• Mooser says:

So according to you it is just luck…”

The Luck of the Jews! You’ve never heard of that?

• eee says:

I see now, you are a small green Jew carrying a pot of gold.
          The fact that it is not easy being green (Kermit) may explain a lot of your comments.

” and without coercion.”

Without coercion? I’ve still got an “infinity” sign on my ribs from her Dad’s 12-gauge! And he was already talking about how he would spend his grandkid’s Nobel Prize money as I was saying “Well, I guess I’d better!”

• demize says:

Wait, I iz a tragic mulatto? The sum of all fears of supremecists. An Italian-Jew. I am now gesticulating wildly, and feeling guilty for it.

• tee hee.

rumor has it Kagan is lesbian.
          dead end genes

(my genes merely have holes in the knees)

• only more so

chuckle

• LeaNder says:

wonderful dialogue, Mooser, I really would miss you around here.

• demize says:

Mine are loose-fit. I’m very urban;)

• Mooser says:

Like I said, Lea, nobody except these zio-trolls would feed me this kind of straight lines.

• Mooser says:

“We had certain cultural advantages for the globalized meritocracy. Jewish culture favors scholarship, close families, and abstention from alcohol. The traditional basis of advancement, attachment to the land, meant little in the new age of American professionalism.”

Okay, okay, but how, then, do you explain Zionism and Israel?

• Avi says:

What’s it to you and American Jews? You’ve already made your opinions clear about American Jews and how they should mind their own business (but keep sending money).

4. annie says:

excellent wrap at the end of your post phil.

5. Mooser says:

“Also, since your explanation is obviously wrong, it could be that what Jews have is not transferable to the general population and that Jewish advantage is not fleeting. What is fleeting are the Jews themselves.”

Yeah, yeah, the food tastes like poison, and the portions are so small!!
    So tell me, “eee” what good is all this Jewish smartness, if we are dying out? Maybe we should have traded a few IQ points for a higher sperm count?
    Hey, but if you wanted to give it away for nothing, I can’t stop you.

• eee says:

We are not dying out in Israel at all. It is American Jewry that is slowly but surely disappearing.

• Mooser says:

“It is American Jewry that is slowly but surely disappearing.”

Don’t lose too much sleep over it, “eee”. The wonderful “Christian Zionists” will keep the money coming in to Israel, now and forever! Cause if there is one thing you can count on, it’s the constancy and good faith of the “Christian Zionists”. Well, as long as we keep our part of the bargain. You do know what that is, “eee”, don’t you?

• Mooser says:

“American Jewry that is slowly but surely disappearing.”

Only to re-appear magically in Congress and the Supreme Court.
        Their next ruling: Oy Gevalt Stop in the Name of Love!

• Mooser says:

“How can you say that American Jews are fully empowered if they are still afraid to talk about their success?”

You see, “eee” those stupid Goyim have this stupid thing called “modesty” and “forebearance”. I know, I know, it’s nothing a Jew would want, but you know how it is, some of us get fooled, or worse, “seduced”.

But don’t worry “eee” as long as your around, the reputation for Jewish intelligence is in no danger of getting too out of hand. And our reputation for excessive piety is in no danger of being exagerrated, either, as long as we have “atheist Jews” like you.
      Gosh, “eee”, I don’t know what we would do without you!
      Besides, wouldn’t you rather be a “New Jew, a tall, proud warrior race”?

Mooser,
        “modesty” and “ forbearance” are sometimes synonyms for fear.

• annie says:

feeling guilt or fear

maybe you could form a support group eee.

• jimby says:

dear eeek, a lack of “modesty” and “ forbearance” can easily be confused with obnoxiousness. Best be careful.

• LeaNder says:

“modesty” and “ forbearance” are sometimes synonyms for fear.

“Sucessful Jews” often seem to be quite modest. Why boast about others success? What funny game is this?

You should study Greek tragedy, hamartia, fatal flaws, e.g. pride and fall. It’s not just a Jewish narrative.

And yes, I mentioned this before: Smart Jews: The Construction of the Image of Jewish Superior Intelligence.

• VR says:

“The Jews must understand that there is nothing wrong with being successful instead of feeling guilt or fear about it.”

That depends on the method of attainment, do you want to use Israel’s example? There is plenty of fear and cover up, that is why there is plenty of ignorance and misconception in the USA about the conflict. It is actually quite easy to multiply your wealth with wanton theft, colonial hubris covering it up with lies, there is plenty to fear because there are innumerable atrocities. “You have one home? I have two homes, one earned and the other stolen – but I still have twice the wealth.”

• annie says:

What is fleeting are the Jews themselves

what’s happening to the flock! everyday an anti zionist is born!

• eee says:

Of course I meant the Jews in America. The Jews in Israel are forever.

• Mooser says:

“Of course I meant the Jews in America. The Jews in Israel are forever”

Off coss! Ho-kay! So natcherel, so plain! Makes perfect sense! Let me see if I have this right: In a country and community which accepts them, gives them full civil and human rights, even seems to favor them, can’t marry them quick enough, the Jews are in danger of disappearing, but where they have created a separatist, supremacist colonial country with an illegal occupation-and-settlement strategy, surrounded by untold millions who would like to see them go, they are forever!
          Gosh, I can’t wait til I get heart disease and cancer. It is, no doubt, the sign I am going to live forever, in good health!

• Mooser says:

“The Jews in Israel are forever.”

Forever, like diamonds! No wonder Witty calls Zionism “a jewel”!

But us American Jews, we only got paste. And wait, do I hear the rattle of a boxcar just over the hill?

• no wonder they’re Fleet ing with all those enemas about.

• Mooser you’re killin’ em, man.

From the comedy stage to the Supreme Court, jooz roolz.

• Mooser says:

PG- Straight men like “eee” you don’t get every day. I gotta do my thing as long as he feeds me the lines.
        And you can tell, just how badly “eee” has been injured by anti-Semitism, too. The reticence, the unwillingness to voice an opinion, the lack of faith in authority, the almost neurotic self-effacement. All the tragic consequences of a life lived under anti-Semitic oppression. So sad.

6. To Phil Weiss, America is the world. If Jew hatred in America and limited horizons have been replaced with the new reality of the “new Wasps”, then this is the reality throughout the world.

I’ve been reading the story of refusenik Mark Azbel and he tells the story of Jew hatred in the Soviet Union circa 1980. Now 2010 is not 1980 and I cannot testify regarding the situation of Jews in post communist Russia, but America is not the world and Jew hatred did not recede across the world at the same time that it receded in America.

• Mooser says:

Barack Hussein Obama, President of the United States, Prince of Iraq and Afghanistan, and Defender of the Jewish Faith!

7. kalithea says:

If I’m not mistaken 45 members of Congress are Jewish, a large number Democrats.

So, how does this help the cause of Palestinians, when the majority of these members of Congress signed a letter demanding that the President stop his criticism of settlement expansion? How does this help the Palestinian cause when these same members of Congress paraded themselves in front of a mike in Jan. 2009, trashing the people of Gaza during the Gaza invasion and praising that slaughter? How does this help the Palestinians when these members of Congress passed a resolution approving the Gaza Invasion and care less that the blockade is now over 3 years old??

How does it help peace in the Middle East that these members of Congress parade themselves in front of Aipac at the annual Likud orgy and then when Aipac asks them to pass a Resolution endorsing severe sanctions against Iran, they do exactly that?!!

I believe that this increasing number of Jews in office and the Lobby’s influence in Washington is the reason that criticism of Israel is suppressed and no administration has the guts to take tough action against Israel. This large presence of Jews in Congress and the Lobby’s influence is the reason that Palestinians have been subjected to injustice and oppression for so long with no end in sight, and I don’t think it’s anything to brag about or celebrate!

• kalithea says:

One more: How does this large Jewish presence in office help the Palestinians when they helped draft a Resolution CONDEMNING the Goldstone Report??

• eee says:

You are asking the wrong question and thus being antisemitic. You should ask the following question:
      Is a Jewish member of Congress likely to be less pro-Palestinian than a non-Jewish member of Congress?

• kalithea says:

No, I don’t think I’m asking the wrong questions, since we are beyond the question you prefer. Why should I dilly-dally with ambiguous political correctness when the proof is so blatant that the majority of Jews in Congress are pro-Israel and anti-Palestinian?

Your anti-Semitic allusion doesn’t surprise me one bit, but I’m beyond being bullied by this kind of manipulative, underhanded tactic.

• eee says:

” Why should I dilly-dally with ambiguous political correctness when the proof is so blatant that the majority of Jews in Congress are pro-Israel and anti-Palestinian?”

You persist in your anti-semitism.
          You know, 100% of red herring pulled from the sea are wet. Can we deduce therefore that red herring are wetter than the other fish in the sea? Only an antisemitic idiot like you can.

Therefore the only valid question to ask is not why the Jews in Congress are not pro-Palestinian. The only valid question is whether they are more not pro-Palestinian than the average Congress person. This is not political correctness. It is basic fairness and decency.

• kalithea says:

You really are conniving aren’t you? But I’m not going to give you an iota of satisfaction. Your little power trip is lost on me, so quit while you’re ahead.

“The Jews in Congress are voted in by the same people that vote for the gentiles. They therefore hold positions that help them get elected. Surprise, surprise, these positions are also held by non-Jews that want to get elected. … The only valid question is whether they are more not pro-Palestinian than the average Congress person.”

Nope! The real question is:

What came first the Zionist or the Christian Zionist?

• annie says:

because pro palestinians (jewish or not) would never receive the kind of massive funding it requires to run for public office?

because pro palestinians (jewish or not) get slandered and stabbed in the back by the lobby?

because pro palestinians (jewish or not) are all anti semites?

because zionists rule baby!

Kalithea,

What power trip?
          Do you want to shut me up?
          Well you can’t. And you still remain a raving antisemite as I have shown.

• Mooser says:

“You know, 100% of red herring pulled from the sea are wet. Can we deduce therefore that red herring are wetter than the other fish in the sea?”

And I thought herring was either creamed or pickled!

• kalithea says:

I’m still getting *crickets* on my question:

What came first the Zionists or the Christian Zionists?

By the way, I don’t need a power trip to draw attention to myself, and I’m not the one using conniving manipulation (ex: “you still remain a raving antisemite) to silence others.

You’re the one trying to silence around here with your “anti-semitic” meme! I’ve had it up to the wazoo with your petty dead-end argument!

• eee says:

You are asking a question that every school child knows the answer to.

First came the antisemites, like you. Then as a reaction came the Zionists and then the Christian Zionists. So you can be proud that people like you started the process that you know complain about!
          The ironies of history.

• Mooser says:

“Then as a reaction came the Zionists and then the Christian Zionists.”

The Christian Zionists? You mean the ones who say all the Jews in Israel who won’t convert will be burned up on Judgement Day? (or thereabouts). Those Christian Zionists? You just keep depending on them “eee”. Maybe they will help as more and more Jews, and many, many others, get sick of your Jewish remittance state.

O BTW, anybody read Ran HaCohen’s latest column in Antiwar? I’m sure you have heard the saying, that just like Prussia, Israel is an Army which happens to have a State? Ran says that Israel is not a country which has an illegal occupation, Israel is an illegal occupation which happens to have a country and army.
          And he presents lot’s of evidence to show that; The Occupation is Israel, not the other way round.

• kalithea says:

I see you still refuse to answer the question. Why doesn’t it surprise me?

Here’s an example of Zionists influencing the Evangelical demography:

link to ajclosangeles.org

This also happened in the Southern States. Christian Evangelicals have the Achilles heel: They’re duped by their belief that when all the Jews return to Israel, Armageddon will occur and the Messiah will return, and Zionists exploit that belief for all it’s worth.

So, in essence, you and I both know my question was rhetorical and Zionists came before Christian Zionists, of course!

Now, you may think this is anti-Semitic, but I can provide you with a slew of examples of Zionists “wooing” Evangelicals.

I have to admit, it’s brilliant because the Evangelical vote is a powerful voting bloc in the U.S. and if you want to control Congress that’s one way to do it. The other way is to stack the other side with lots of Democrats who support social issues and at the same time are completely loyal to Israel for obvious reasons, they’re Jewish. The Lobby finances and ensures these Democrats get all the support and exposure they need to win.

Therefore on the issue of Israel, it doesn’t matter whether Congress has a Republican majority or Democratic one, because it’s been fixed in such a way that Israel always comes out the winner.

This is how you subvert democracy.

• kalithea says:

Oh, one last important point: This is how Palestinians don’t stand a chance! The status quo of oppression and settlement building would never have survived if it were not for the tacit approval of the U.S. government.

• I have a slightly tattered flak jacket I’ll be happy to lend to you, kalithea. Yours — ours — is a minority position. But then, that’s what Phil’s post was all about, isn’t it.

btw, I’ve been reading Muller’s essays. It astonishes me that Phil thinks them the holy gruel. It’s hasbara on pugnacious steroids; the history is so bad I’m surprised Catholic U has not hired an exorcist to monitor Muller’s classes. Muller fails to discuss the Medici banks? The bank of St George (dominated Europe for over a century, longer than Sandy Weil’s Citicorp will last, and nearly as long as Rothschild ruled Europe). sheesh, so much for jewish smarts.

• kalithea says:

Finally, you remind me of a bratty kid who does something wrong in class and then points a finger and makes it look like someone else did it. In other words, my main objective is justice and freedom for Palestinians, so I’ll fight whatever obstacle is in the way of that objective, but the way you try to make me stumble is by throwing anti-semitic accusations in my path. However, I’m trying to fight an grave injustice that’s been going on for decades, and I’m not going to stop this fight because someone pretends to be offended to make me look bad.

So now I have another question: if Congress weren’t stacked against my objective, do you think I would care squat whether there are a lot of Jews in Government or whether Zionists were wooing major voting blocs to do their bidding? The fact that this is occuring and is so blatant begs the question: Why?

The answer is not good. Zionism is untenable because it’s an injustice supported by inhumane restrictions on the freedoms of others, and therefore it requires powerful patronage to make it sustainable. Palestinians don’t stand a chance.

• Rabbi Yechial Eckstein and the International Fellowship of Christians and Jews

Eckstein invested a few shekels in IFCJ; his investment has rewarded him seven-fold or more. John Hagee’s CUFI now has acolytes with observer status in Knesset, from which perch they return to the US to lobby US legislators to do Israel’s bidding. CUFI and Eckstein’s group collect millions of dollars from US Christo-dummies. Through their entre to Knesset, ChristoZioDummies pour those millions into Knesset-empowered Israeli hands to build new settlements on lands belonging to Palestinians, displacing Palestinians and violating international law as well as US (toothless) policy.

• Mooser says:

“And you still remain a raving antisemite as I have shown.”

See, there it is again! So traumitised by the experience of anti-Semitism, one becomes afraid to even mention it, lest it generate more. And if there is one thing you learn from being on the receiving end of anti-Semitism, it’s that the accusation of Anti-Semitism is no threat in an anti-Semitic society, which is why they are so afraid to use it, even when it is clearly warranted by people “asking the wrong question”. Not to mention the general air of timidity and apologetics. Gosh darn it, them anti-Semites have destroyed our proud Jewish characters!

• You are asking a question that every school child knows the answer to.

sad eee
          day late
          shekel short

we had that conversation yesterday already.
          Those to whom evil is done do evil in return.

• eee says:

Of course, that is why I murdered 23 Germans.
          You are an idiot.

• that’s a point that needs to be developed, kalithea, and one that goes to the heart of what is most disturbing about hasbara, about the charge of holocaust denial, and the entire need for an ‘israel lobby.’

If the truth is so compelling, why is it necessary to go to such lengths to distort it (hasbara), silence it(holocaust denial) , , buy and bully it (AIPAC) , ?

• Mooser says:

“Of course, that is why I murdered 23 Germans.”

You inglorious bastard!

• Mooser says:

“You are asking the wrong question and thus being antisemitic.”

Not to mention our reputation for intellectual honesty and open inquiry!

Nope, I don’t think we need to worry about philo-Semitism getting out of hand as long as good ol’ “eee” is here to defend us from it!

On the other hand, Phil-o-Semitism is just around the corner!

8. Citizen says:

“The court will have no Protestants, the most prevalent denomination in the US.” –JP

9. kalithea says:

Finally, a topic the gives “eee” the perfect opportunity to gloat, brag and dominate the discussion.

• eee says:

I thought it would be the post about Phil complaining about Israel getting accepted to the OECD today, but so far no such luck.

• annie says:

the perfect opportunity to gloat, brag and dominate the discussion.

while schlepping his theory jews are fearful and full of guilt. how refreshing!

10. Les says:

Proof positive that Kagan is a liberal

link to rawstory.com
    Kagan supported detaining terror suspects indefinitely without trial

11. Mooser says:

Shorter Richard and “eee”:

Even if God, in his infinite wisdom and compassion, has seen fit to spare me from the persecution Jews have suffered for thousands of years, that’s no reason why I can’t do it to myself, vicariously, second hand. I’ll show Him!

12. How can you say that American Jews are fully empowered if they are still afraid to talk about their success?

Because empowerment is not incompatible with paranoia.

13. Chu says:

Does anyone know if Kagan is a reformist, conservative, Orthodox?

14. Keith says:

JEWISH SUCCESS- Here I go repeating myself. A primary reason for Jewish success (not the only one, but the major one) is the organizational dynamic of Zionism. An organized minority always dominates an unorganized majority. The mutual support and organizational effectiveness of Zionist Jews, motivated by the fear of anti-Semitism and another Holocaust, has propelled Jewish success. If not for Zionism, the Holocaust, and Israel, I doubt that Jews would be as successful as they are. This is one of the reasons that the Jewish elite are generally strong supporters of Israel.

• Mooser says:

A primary reason for Jewish success is… The sample from which we select our Jewish success is self-selected.
      And besides, what choice do we have? It’s either big success or ignominious failure. It’s anti-Semitic to even hint Jews are more or less just like other people.

Besides, for every hundred or thousand Jewish success stories, there’s me! And that makes up for an awful lot of Nobel prizes and money! And spell-check tells me I can’t even spell the word!

15. Jews will become the new WASPS when they develop as extensive social and family networks as WASPS did, and still do.

“And this is good old Boston,
    The home of the bean and the cod,
    Where the Lowells talk only to Cabots,
    And the Cabots talk only to God.”

Having a first-generation American like Rahm Emanuel in the White House, the son of a Jewish terrorist (specialised in bus bombs) in Palestine in WWII, who himself served in the IDF, is no way to start a dynastical network.

It was only when Jack Kennedy’s dad turned himself, somehow, from an Irish rum-runner to a Boston Brahmin that the US got that political dynasty.

I’ll believe it when I see a Jewish-American US president.

16. Todd says:

I don’t know that I would call the present age a glorious age for America. Would it even be smart to take credit for running America at this point? How can anyone claim that Americans are satisfied with their elites? America is broke, discredited, and a very different place than it was a generation ago. Does an ethnic minority elite really have that much power and influence over the nation?

17. marc b. says:

that is the paradox of the ascendance of the so-called ‘jewish elite’. ‘jewish’ influence in the arts? has there ever been such a surfeit of shit floating about on the airwaves, in the theatres, in bookstores? ‘jewish’ influence in economics? in foreign affairs? if larry summers, ivan reitman and elliot abrams want to take credit for the current state of the union, it’s all theirs.

• Mooser says:

Exactly, marc. Here we are, just itching to take all the credit for a manifest failure. Where I come from that’s called “getting left with the bag”.

• marc b. says:

and regretably, many a ‘man on the street’ may wind up suffering for the crimes of financiers who self-identify as ‘jewish’, when their conduct is the result of psycho-pathology, not ethnicity or religion.

18. Great article Phil. Herzl was wrong.