The most confusing thing in all the back and forth about Obama's pronouncements about the Middle East in the last few days is why there is so much talk of the Palestinians trying to declare statehood at the UN in September. The unity deal between Fatah and Hamas, by all appearances, is supposed to just be a decent interval before new elections for new leadership, which would have to demand one man-one vote. How then to explain any apparent eagerness for the UN to force the two-state solution down everyone's throat?
The irony is that UN recognition of a Palestinian state is actually the best chance that remains for Israel to survive as a Jewish state. It would therefore make a certain amount of sense for the US to want this and push for it. Expect J Street to call for support of such a UN declaration for this very reason. It is thus not altogether inconceivable that Obama could come out in favor of a UN recognition, but of course I highly doubt it. Indeed, Obama added nothing of substance either way at AIPAC to his Thursday May 19 speech, nor for that matter to Hillary's remarks last year which were news at the time. If he really wanted to save the two-state solution that badly he would be bolder.
So why, then, is Abbas talking about UN recognition in September? The most logical explanation to me is that he has decided it is necessary to deliver one final blow to the two-state solution by forcing the US into the humiliating position of putting the final nail in its coffin at the UN. Again, there is a chance, albeit a small one, that Obama or even Netanyahu could call his bluff, which would likely result in the most bloodshed of all. The point is that we now know what the gruesome end of the "special relationship" looks like.
- UN and Hunter College events feature plight of Bedouin refugees, … 0
- AIPAC promotes Netanyahu on two states (and ignores the statements … 0
- Jamal al-Dura calls on Israeli government to bring him his … 1
- Kerry faults Israelis for complacency — peace isn’t ‘on the … 4
- Cornell SJP publishes ‘Notes on Palestine/Israel’ as an antidote to … 0
- Exile and the Prophetic: Notes from a ‘marginal Jew’ 2
- CBS stands by Bob Simon, blowing off CAMERA’s charges of … 6
- Video: Medea Benjamin interrupts Obama speech on US drone … 21
- Two friends meet for 5 minutes in Jerusalem 1709
- Palestinian-American Raed Zidan plants flag on top of Everest, dedicates … 1361
- Christians denounce Israel’s manhandling of worshipers at Holy Sepulcher on … 952
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 809
- In photos: Gaza marches and rallies mark 65 years of … 442
- Washington Post’s racism map omits Israel 438
- Israeli report on al-Dura case is vengeful and ‘surreal,’ says … 401
- International Criminal Court opens preliminary investigation into attack on Mavi … 355
- Kennedy’s insistence on right of return prompted Ben-Gurion to rewrite … 104
- International Criminal Court opens preliminary investigation into attack on Mavi … 96
- Abulhawa declines to ‘balance out’ several Israelis in ‘Al Jazeera’ … 94
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 93
- Washington Post’s racism map omits Israel 73
- Uncompromising hope inspired by Ghassan Kanafani 63
- Dershowitz should stop lying about Tutu’s record 56
- Biden says Jewish ‘influence’ behind American cultural politics is ‘immense… … 55
- RT @DanielSeidemann: @AmbassadorOren You apparently treat American support for Israel the way your boss treats double beds in flight: a div…, 2 hours ago
- RT @TomJunod: 4 U.S. citizens killed by drone. 1 targeted; 3 "not specifically" so. Now apply that ratio to thousands of Pakistanis and Yem…, 2 hours ago
- RT @libzionistssay: Seen on Metronorth: Obama meets Miss Israel! I have been convinced that Israel is right about everything. http://t.co/V…, 2 hours ago
- UN and Hunter College events feature plight of Bedouin refugees, due to be expelled again from E-1 http://t.co/jDg5vkX5Ou, 2 hours ago
- RT @theIMEU: INFOGRAPHIC: 1,397 #Palestinian children have been killed since 2000 due to #Israeli occupation & settler presence http://t.co…, 2 hours ago
click link to see last 100 comments
- Glenn Greenwald on the Woolwich attack and blowback from the ‘war on terror’ (30)
- Jamal al-Dura calls on Israeli government to bring him his son (1)
- Pamela Olson: Fascinating… This time Israel not only jumped the shark, the shark had a laser gun and was...
- Two friends meet for 5 minutes in Jerusalem (53)
- Mohammed Assaf, singing sensation out of Gaza refugee camp, torches Arab Idol competition (32)
- Annie Robbins: yeah, i just finished maysoon’s kick*ss article. the next episode of arab idol starts in less...
- Kerry faults Israelis for complacency — peace isn’t ‘on the tip of everybody’s tongue’ (4)
- dbroncos: Kerry needs more appropriate garb for this peace process skit. Maybe a red feather wig and some clown...
- CBS stands by Bob Simon, blowing off CAMERA’s charges of anti-Semitism (6)
Our WritersMore Writers