The Obama Administration’s Middle East policy of appeasement has encouraged such an ominous act of bad faith [statehood bid]….
Our muddle of a foreign policy has created greater uncertainty in the midst of the “Arab Spring.” And our policy of isolating and undermining Israel has only encouraged our adversaries in their aggression.
With the end-run on Palestinian statehood imminent before the U.N., America must act swiftly.
First, every nation within the U.N. must know America stands with Israel and the Oslo accord principle of direct negotiations without equivocation.
Second, America must make it clear that a declaration of Palestinian Statehood in violation of the spirit of the Oslo accords could jeopardize our funding of U.N. operations.
Third, the Palestinians must know their gambit comes with consequences in particular that America will have to reconsider the $4 billion in assistance we have provided to the Palestinians over the last 17 years.
Fourth, we should close the PLO office in Washington if the U.N. grants the standing of a Palestinian state.
And fifth, we must signal to the world, including nations like Turkey and Egypt whom we have considered allies in recent years, that we won’t tolerate aggression against Israel.
Israel is our friend and ally. I have traveled there several times, and met with its leaders. It is not a perfect nation, but its existence is critical to America’s security in the world.
It is time to change our policy of appeasement toward the Palestinians to strengthen our ties to the nation of Israel, and in the process establish a robust American position in the Middle East characterized by a new firmness and a new resolve.
If America does not head off the aggression of forces hostile to Israel we will only embolden them.
That would be a tragic mistake.
- ‘Apartheid on the Hill’: Students transform Tufts campus to highlight … 4
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department ‘midwives’ democracy 28
- ‘Netanyahu is a Nazi’: Scenes from an Orthodox anti-military draft … 40
- ‘Visit Palestine’–My personal message to Mayor Bill de Blasio 4
- Caught in an honest moment, Kerry casts doubt on the … 19
- NYC Community Board member calls BDS ‘the face of anti-Semitism’ 9
- Following criticism, ‘NYT’ quotes Barghouti, Vilkomerson and Ashrawi on BDS 8
- On American Zionist Education: An excerpt from ‘The Politics of … 9
- ‘Politico’ leaves Israel off list of 25 ‘awkward allies’ of … 0
- Pelosi calls Israel’s creation ‘the most spectacular political achievement of … 0
- Opponents of UCLA divestment ignore strong South African support for … 0
- National summit to re-assess the special relationship — Friday in … 0
- Netanyahu mentions ‘BDS’ 18 times in denouncing movement and its … 0
- Capitalism and its contradictions: From Arizona to Florida to #UCLAdivest 0
- Anti-anti-semitism: How did a movement against bigotry lend itself to … 0
- John Kerry and David Broza perform for AIPAC 0
- AIPAC reaches out to Christians with morphing Star of David 149
- ‘NYT’ says East Jerusalem isn’t occupied, and Israel lobby takes … 108
- Anti-anti-semitism: How did a movement against bigotry lend itself to … 107
- Israel lobby group compiles secret dossiers on pro-Palestinian speakers 102
- ‘NYT’ dismisses Wieseltier attack on Judis as tempest-in-a-teapot 99
- Obama warns Israel about delegitimization, and Oren suggests annexation 93
- Pelosi calls Israel’s creation ‘the most spectacular political achievement of … 91
- Poll: If two-states collapse, Americans overwhelmingly favor ‘democracy’ 84
- RT @alexbkane: SEIU organizer has swallowed the hasbara, claims Israel treats immigrants fairly https://t.co/1Yz6bSjYVo, 5 hours ago
- RT @EliClifton: 'D.C. elite say pro-Israel lobby losing influence, likened to NRA' http://t.co/Ekawm3GoKs, 5 hours ago
- RT @Remroum: State Dept to 'check out' vicious attack on Palestinian athletes http://t.co/QRDaEZUNFu via @Mondoweiss, 9 hours ago
- 'Apartheid on the Hill': @TuftsSJP transforms Tufts campus to highlight Israeli occupation http://t.co/nrVwEehYXj, 9 hours ago
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department 'midwives' democracy http://t.co/2nA5CBXhOc, 10 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Caught in an honest moment, Kerry casts doubt on the ‘peace process’ (19)
- ‘NYT’ provides frank descriptions of lobby’s power in review of Truman book (17)
- ‘Netanyahu is a Nazi’: Scenes from an Orthodox anti-military draft protest in Jerusalem (40)
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department ‘midwives’ democracy (28)
- State Dept to ‘check out’ vicious attack on Palestinian athletes (80)
- gamal: “just imagine what would have happened to the players in Saudi Arabia or Mali!” exactly also kicking...
- Anti-anti-semitism: How did a movement against bigotry lend itself to another form of bigotry? (108)
- lyn117: @JeffB Recent immigrants to the U.S. come here almost exclusively to become U.S. citizens and adopt...