The Obama Administration’s Middle East policy of appeasement has encouraged such an ominous act of bad faith [statehood bid]….
Our muddle of a foreign policy has created greater uncertainty in the midst of the “Arab Spring.” And our policy of isolating and undermining Israel has only encouraged our adversaries in their aggression.
With the end-run on Palestinian statehood imminent before the U.N., America must act swiftly.
First, every nation within the U.N. must know America stands with Israel and the Oslo accord principle of direct negotiations without equivocation.
Second, America must make it clear that a declaration of Palestinian Statehood in violation of the spirit of the Oslo accords could jeopardize our funding of U.N. operations.
Third, the Palestinians must know their gambit comes with consequences in particular that America will have to reconsider the $4 billion in assistance we have provided to the Palestinians over the last 17 years.
Fourth, we should close the PLO office in Washington if the U.N. grants the standing of a Palestinian state.
And fifth, we must signal to the world, including nations like Turkey and Egypt whom we have considered allies in recent years, that we won’t tolerate aggression against Israel.
Israel is our friend and ally. I have traveled there several times, and met with its leaders. It is not a perfect nation, but its existence is critical to America’s security in the world.
It is time to change our policy of appeasement toward the Palestinians to strengthen our ties to the nation of Israel, and in the process establish a robust American position in the Middle East characterized by a new firmness and a new resolve.
If America does not head off the aggression of forces hostile to Israel we will only embolden them.
That would be a tragic mistake.
- Long ago, Bill Buckley and Woody Allen agreed on occupation 1
- ‘Israel is the home of all Jews,’ declares a right-wing … 5
- ‘NYT’ abided by Israeli gag order even as ‘EI’ scooped … 7
- Reports of anti-Semitism in Ukraine and Hungary 14
- The Book of Exodus and the Book of Palestine 3
- Palestinian youth say the talks with Israel are futile 0
- Stephen Walt: publishing ‘Israel lobby’ ended any thought of serving … 49
- Resurrecting Passover? 27
- Passover for Palestine 0
- China Miéville: It’s become a cliche to talk about Palestine … 0
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 0
- Palestinians can have an embassy in Jerusalem, but God forbid … 0
- Fear of Arab-Americans in the public square 0
- Handling holy hypocrisy at holiday season 0
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 0
- You know Israel’s in trouble when ‘NYT’ runs op-ed saying … 0
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 180
- Simon Schama’s Israel whitewash 158
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 111
- 66 years ago today 42 members of my family were … 107
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 104
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 100
- 6 DC heavyweights tell Kerry, Netanyahu in West Bank is … 99
- The Jewish community must not embrace Ayaan Hirsi Ali 97
- Long ago, Bill Buckley and Woody Allen agreed on occupation http://t.co/iJJGCcrHNp, 42 mins ago
- ‘Israel is the home of all Jews,’ declares a right-wing official http://t.co/yMgZDiLFRW, 43 mins ago
- Reports of anti-Semitism in Ukraine and Hungary http://t.co/B8f815HzG0, 2 hours ago
- .@nytimes abided by Israeli gag order even as @intifada scooped it repeatedly http://t.co/qNl4HF9meg, 2 hours ago
- When religion has to take the history challenge only fragments survive http://t.co/1mDwWkeMlS, 5 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- ‘Israel is the home of all Jews,’ declares a right-wing official (5)
- Palestinian youth say the talks with Israel are futile (35)
- just: Thanks Kay24. By the way, it’s against Jewish halachic law to destroy these trees…….. from...
- The Book of Exodus and the Book of Palestine (3)
- libra: Professor Ellis: Imagine a Christian liturgical reading from Auschwitz on Easter Sunday. Let’s call it a...
- ‘NYT’ abided by Israeli gag order even as ‘EI’ scooped it repeatedly (7)
- Long ago, Bill Buckley and Woody Allen agreed on occupation (1)
- adele: Ha ha, Buckley. Bad childhood memories, horrifying man. I first saw Buckley on tv as a kid, right around the...
- Stephen Walt: publishing ‘Israel lobby’ ended any thought of serving in US gov’t (49)
- pabelmont: Kathleen — thanks for Juan Cole’s essay, a lovely essay and photos. There was indeed a...