How many films and reports and dispatches from Palestine must we take in before we are allowed to talk about Israeli occupation (45 years old this week) as a crime which we, as Americans, should be ashamed to support with well over $3 billion a year in taxpayer funds? How long until we can talk about a nonviolent Palestinian resistance movement (now 10 years old in its current manifestation) as a struggle formed in the mold of the life work of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Gandhi? Hopefully 5 Broken Cameras, like its best-known predecessor Budrus, helps hasten the arrival of this long overdue moment of reckoning for Americans.
While this extraordinary and artfully composed film tells both a deeply personal and truly universal tale, ultimately it is a story about the ongoing project of the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians from their land. Begun in 1947-49 with three quarters of a million Palestinians forced to flee their homes to make way for Israel, and entrenched in 1967 with the onset of Israeli military occupation in the West Bank, East Jerusalem, and Gaza Strip, this is an ethnic cleansing that continues to this day. But it is a process that takes place at relatively slow clip and by various means (both “legal” under Israeli law and illegal under international law), such as through the building of walls and settlements, via Kafkaesque military decrees, house demolitions, incursions, imprisonment and intimidation.
To resist such a project is a treacherous endeavor more akin to a marathon than a sprint. And as we watch Emad raise his sons amidst torched olive trees and fallen friends, the miracle, it seems, is that he has the will first to get out of bed every day, and then to raise his camera to document the unjust world he lives in.
- Despite ravages of war, Gaza supports armed resistance to lift … 9
- No justice, no peace — in Gaza or Ferguson 5
- Anti-occupation activists in New York blast United Jewish Appeal for … 6
- ‘Absolutely not!’ — Young Colorado Jews meet hostility when they … 8
- Salaita’s stellar teaching record exposes political motivation behind his firing 14
- We must disrupt the status quo (and that’s why I … 4
- Ari Shavit calls out every brutality, except the ones Israel … 36
- What’s 7 letters and begins with Z and runs in … 12
- Jewish Voice for Peace stomps AIPAC and J Street in … 0
- Gov. Cuomo annexes Jerusalem to Israel — and ‘NYT’ echoes … 0
- Lady Gaza comes to Melbourne 0
- Video: Gaza forces young Jew to overcome ‘giant hostile ferocious … 0
- 5 micro incidents of hope 0
- Israel correctly fears its ‘delegitimizers,’ says leftwing member of Irish … 0
- Israel accuses Gaza children of using Hamas as human shields 0
- West Bank man detained at Allenby crossing for 28 days … 0
- US branch of the Jewish ‘family’ owes the homeland ‘unconditional … 170
- Watch: Young Israeli Jew at Western Wall calls for ‘another … 117
- ‘Lesson: The Jews will defend themselves even if it means … 107
- The Walzer Problem 96
- Video: Gaza forces young Jew to overcome ‘giant hostile ferocious … 89
- Is the firing of Steven Salaita the beginning of a … 86
- Tunnels-to-kindergartens propaganda Netanyahu peddled to NYT and CNN is exploded … 85
- Hillary Clinton’s 11th-hour diplomacy 80
- PHOTO: Dima & Kamal Qadan display bombs dropped onto their Rafah home by Israeli warplanes http://t.co/ClygZvf6ET http://t.co/465YhPitEk, 3 hours ago
- .@DanCohen3000 reports: Despite ravages of war, Gaza overwhelmingly supports armed resistance to lift the siege http://t.co/Lo8p5Xv1SJ, 3 hours ago
- No justice, no peace -- in #Gaza or #Ferguson http://t.co/e5HFdpvDXN http://t.co/k4znqJapuV, 4 hours ago
- Anti-occupation activists in NYC blast United Jewish Appeal for supporting attacks on #Gaza http://t.co/Bxo6LgtXUJ http://t.co/oBYV9EjXdz, 5 hours ago
- 'Absolutely not!' -- Young Colorado Jews meet hostility when they try to talk to org leaders http://t.co/0I8FTHCkn7 http://t.co/qdTrnIFMCX, 6 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Despite ravages of war, Gaza supports armed resistance to lift the siege (9)
- ‘I mourn my Jewish community, which seeks to justify these inexcusable acts’ (54)
- Mooser: “Mooser, is it really so complicated? They are “Jewish Voices”, they organize “as Jews”, they don’t...
- What’s 7 letters and begins with Z and runs in the ‘NYT’? (12)
- More Orientalist insinuations in the New York Times (63)
- Mooser: I got no problem separating the boys from the gulls.
- ‘Lesson: The Jews will defend themselves even if it means killing children’ (115)
- Dead American soldier in IDF signed up to fight global jihadists plotting ‘Holocaust 2.0′ (22)
- Mooser: “Have you ever visited any Holocaust sites? Auschwitz-Birkenau?” Because if he did, he would...