How many films and reports and dispatches from Palestine must we take in before we are allowed to talk about Israeli occupation (45 years old this week) as a crime which we, as Americans, should be ashamed to support with well over $3 billion a year in taxpayer funds? How long until we can talk about a nonviolent Palestinian resistance movement (now 10 years old in its current manifestation) as a struggle formed in the mold of the life work of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Gandhi? Hopefully 5 Broken Cameras, like its best-known predecessor Budrus, helps hasten the arrival of this long overdue moment of reckoning for Americans.
While this extraordinary and artfully composed film tells both a deeply personal and truly universal tale, ultimately it is a story about the ongoing project of the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians from their land. Begun in 1947-49 with three quarters of a million Palestinians forced to flee their homes to make way for Israel, and entrenched in 1967 with the onset of Israeli military occupation in the West Bank, East Jerusalem, and Gaza Strip, this is an ethnic cleansing that continues to this day. But it is a process that takes place at relatively slow clip and by various means (both “legal” under Israeli law and illegal under international law), such as through the building of walls and settlements, via Kafkaesque military decrees, house demolitions, incursions, imprisonment and intimidation.
To resist such a project is a treacherous endeavor more akin to a marathon than a sprint. And as we watch Emad raise his sons amidst torched olive trees and fallen friends, the miracle, it seems, is that he has the will first to get out of bed every day, and then to raise his camera to document the unjust world he lives in.
- Northeastern University SJP chapter suspended as members are subjected to … 2
- Six Palestinians killed in 24 hours by Israeli forces 7
- J Street cheerleading for Kerry features Congressman warning Palestinians will … 5
- Zirin challenges sportswriters to report Israeli violence against Palestinian soccer … 26
- Michael Ratner’s journey away from Zionism 25
- Israel is now attempting to ‘de-Arabize’ Palestinian Christians, but in … 30
- ‘This wall will fall’ (the writing on the wall, at … 7
- US Homeland Security investigates Israeli arms deal to Iran 29
- ‘Daily Beast’ labels Abbas ‘stubborn’ for refusing to recognize Israel … 0
- Thousands denied water in Jerusalem as California Gov signs energy … 0
- A model factory for a colonialism in trouble: the SodaStream … 0
- 2013 was record year in new settlement construction, and 2014 … 0
- On John Judis’s ‘Genesis,’ and its critics 0
- Conservatives for Palestine 0
- Robert Caro, Nakba-denier 0
- ‘Apartheid on the Hill’: Students transform Tufts campus to highlight … 0
- ‘Daily Beast’ labels Abbas ‘stubborn’ for refusing to recognize Israel … 141
- Anti-anti-semitism: How did a movement against bigotry lend itself to … 119
- ‘Netanyahu is a Nazi’: Scenes from an Orthodox anti-military draft … 114
- Robert Caro, Nakba-denier 93
- Obama warns Israel about delegitimization, and Oren suggests annexation 93
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department ‘midwives’ democracy 92
- Pelosi calls Israel’s creation ‘the most spectacular political achievement of … 91
- Poll: If two-states collapse, Americans overwhelmingly favor ‘democracy’ 89
- The Latest from Mondoweiss for 03/12/2014 - http://t.co/a0R9du5SH0, 2 hours ago
- Six Palestinians killed in 24 hours by Israeli forces http://t.co/1Pd5ziFxW9, 12 hours ago
- RT @alexbkane: "How do we oppose a demand for one person, one vote?” Congressman Jerry Nadler summarizes the liberal Zionist quandry http://t.co/QtIemdtXzU, 13 hours ago
- RT @CornellSJP: Protect free speech on campus! http://t.co/RvdWb9G5UR @WRFIRadioNews @SJPNational, 13 hours ago
- J Street cheerleading for Kerry features Congressman warning Palestinians will demand the vote if two states fails http://t.co/LdipMdfzNR, 15 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Zirin challenges sportswriters to report Israeli violence against Palestinian soccer players (26)
- Northeastern University SJP chapter suspended as members are subjected to police interrogation (2)
- Israel is now attempting to ‘de-Arabize’ Palestinian Christians, but in the 1950s it was Jews from the Middle East (30)
- talknic: And of course the notion that Israel has only 20% Arabs is a blatant falsehood. By 1950 the population of...
- Tal: I would like to second MahaneYehuda’s words. My grandparents made Aliya from Tunisia. They had never seen...
- Walid: “I am an independent person and a Zionist from my own free choice.” Spoken like other Iraqis that...
- Grindr in Hebron: A dispatch from the last debate (87)
- just: I guess you did not read the article. “I have not been able secure permission from the event’s planners...
- J Street cheerleading for Kerry features Congressman warning Palestinians will demand the vote if two states fails (5)
- talknic: JStreet/AIPAC = good cop/bad cop Dec 2009 http://wp.me/pDB7k-lU
- Six Palestinians killed in 24 hours by Israeli forces (7)
- Blownaway: What choice do they have? They have been disarmed, not just by Israel but also by the PLA. All they have...