Bill Maher confesses that his anti-religious movie Religulous cut Judaism a break. And states that the Israelis show restraint toward Palestinians.

Jewish Journal:

I mean it’s [Judaism is] certainly not as dangerous as Islam and Christianity. Those are warlike religions.

And here’s his take on the Middle East, praising war:

I’ve never hid the fact that I don’t think it’s a conflict where both sides are equally guilty. I’m more on the side of the Israelis; that’s why Benjamin Netanyahu did my show a few years ago, before he was Prime Minister…

HJ: Why are you more on the side of Israelis?

BM: Take this conflict; here, everyone in the newspapers, the pundits, they talk about it like it’s very complicated. It’s not that complicated: Stop firing rockets into Israel and perhaps they won’t annihilate you. I mean, it’s so crazy when you look at these images on TV. Ok, they just had a little war. It lasted a week like most Israeli wars do; the Israelis lost a handful of people, shot down most of the rockets, and the neighborhoods in Gaza are devastated. They’re rubble. They lost over 1,000 people and yet somehow Palestinians are celebrating in the streets? I don’t get this celebrating when you just totally got your ass kicked.

HJ: The Atlantic journalist Jeffrey Goldberg pointed out that many in the media tend to point out the disproportionate casualty count between Israelis and Palestinians, and he wisely wondered if there is a moral difference between attempted murder and successful murder.

BM: It’s obvious that Israelis, in all of their battles with the Palestinians, show restraint. Because they have nuclear weapons. And if the situation was reversed, I don’t doubt for a second that Palestinians would fire them immediately. They’d use the maximum of what they have available and the Israelis don’t.

Posted in Israel/Palestine

{ 97 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Avi_G. says:

This is the money quote.

It proves once and for all that Maher is just like THE most fascist hawks in Israel. “Restraint” is measured by the refrain from using nuclear weapons.

Ponder that sentence for a moment and then see if you can fathom the depth of depravity of Bill Maher’s brain.

In other words, he’s saying that unless Israel drops a nuclear bomb on Gaza and wipes that little Strip of land off the face of the planet, then whatever Israel does — up to and including the slaughter of 40,000 or 70,000 Palestinians — is an act of restraint on Israel’s behalf.

He hates Palestinians THAT much. Talk about the dehumanization of the Other.

If the group in question were Jews instead of Palestinians, and someone in the media spoke like that about them, he would be fired immediately. The morning papers and shows would be buzzing with the news of that person’s anti-Jewish statements and he would be denounced up and down left and right.

As for his “warlike” comment. Well, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

All those gun-toting colonists who beat up, burn, maim and kill Palestinians with impunity sure aren’t Christian or Moslem. They are Jews, fanatics and terrorists like any other.

• peeesss says:

Yes, Maher , with that little smirk has always demeaned Palestinians and Muslims in the most dehumanizing ways. His so-called wit is is as racist as anything said by any so-called “entertainer/celebrity” and is countenanced by our media watchers. “Warlike”? Has the witless Maher ever read the Torah.?

• abdulwalee says:

here these voices are kept quiet in US media that’s the problem most American are kept stupid about the facts and the descent surrounding the jewish voices who oppose the occupation of the Palestinians

2. pabelmont says:

Restraint (not being the first to introduce nukes to M/E) is not the same as proportionality. Someone should straighten this obviously brainwashed (seems a willing bath) bozo out — on more points than mere this one.

3. chinese box says:

“BM” is very appropriate for these statements.

I guess Maher thinks he’s being edgy by supporting this crap. Maybe he’s trying to differentiate himself from Jon Stewart.

4. AM says:

Not surprising coming from Bill Maher; Progressive Except Palestine at its best.

Of course, in this scenario, based on what I’ve seen of him, I think he _genuinely_ believes the propaganda story. For someone who lambastes religious beliefs as a sign of weak minded people, he doesn’t pause once to question the myths of Zionism and the hasbara that he effortlessly calls on.

5. Dan Crowther says:

I was going to post a comment, but I can’t stop slamming my fist into my desk. This clown makes my skin crawl – and he’s not funny. He’s a real life Bania from Seinfeld

6. seanmcbride says:

When I first started pointing out that Bill Maher, whom I generally think is smart and funny, was weirdly biased and irrational on Israeli and Jewish issues, I stirred up considerable outrage and found no one who agreed with me.

Well, now everyone knows the scoop on Bill Maher with regard to these issues. I wonder what took others so long to notice the obvious.

Bottom line: Bill Maher is yet another agent, operative and gatekeeper for the Israel lobby in the mainstream media. That is why he has his gig. If he stopped defending and started criticizing Israel, he would lose that gig immediately.

Even a little bit of Zionism (messianic ethnic nationalism) can destroy one’s ability to engage in reasonable and consistent thinking. Maher, who prides himself on his rationality and skepticism, sounds like an utter fool whenever he tries to discuss Mideast politics. He is as much a fundamentalist and cultist regarding Zionism and Jewish nationalism as Mike Huckabee and Michele Bachmann are fundamentalists and cultists regarding Christianity. Maher is no better than the zealots he ridicules — he is a zealot himself.

Bill Maher is essentially a fraud — and quite a ridiculous one at that, since he is so vain and preening about his supposed no-nonsense noggin. Often one is laughing at him, not with him.

Regarding “warlike religions” — the Old Testament is drenched in messianic (and even genocidal) militarism and racism. The entire Abrahamic tradition (including Judaism, Christianity and Islam) is largely animated by the spirit of militaristic imperialism. Zionism isn’t a deviation from ancient “blood and soil” Judaism — it is the logical and inevitable expression of that tradition.

• Ellen says:

sean, I think lots of people saw Maher for what he is: dim in the brain, not funny,a fraud, a Zionist gatekeeper. There is nothing smart about him and his smirk and sarcasm is revolting.

Like that revolting phony whats-his-name that played the Borat character, his job is to built hate and fear of Moooslims disguised as humor. It is an old propaganda trick.

This guy was transparent from day one. I do not know why anyone can watch the fake.

• W.Jones says:

” I stirred up considerable outrage and found no one who agreed with me.”

Where was that?

• seanmcbride says:

W.J. Jones,

Where was that?

It was well before the release of Religulous (2008) but I can’t remember the specific date and forum. Members of the forum were generally bright and progressive. At the time they were unable to detect any bias in Maher’s attacks on religion, but his agenda seemed obvious to me based on my reading of his emphases and emotional tone when he discussed the topic. They thought I was being outrageously unfair to Maher at the time. Most of them would probably agree with me now.

Maher has a major neoconservative streak in his personality — that is why he has treated neocons like David Frum, Richard Perle and Benjamin Netanyahu with such warmth and deference — not with the hysterical venom that he obsessively directs towards Christians and Muslims. Seriously: this guy is perfectly transparent.

On the other hand: I agree with many of his points of view (I am also passionate about environmentalism and animal rights) and I think he is quite smart. I certainly much prefer him to the boneheads on Fox News and on the talk radio circuit. I am sure he would be fun to hang out with.

• W.Jones says:

“I am sure he would be fun to hang out with.”
          I’m not. Sometimes people have ” stage personalities” and they are better or worse in real life. He likes to skewer people’s views in general, and that could come out even if you dont go into IP. Basically, you make a comment to him in conversation and either he ignores or derides it, and then grins at you.

Sarah Silverman or the other hand would be lots of fun for me. By the way, her videoclip campaigning for Obama says “And he loves Israel” as one of the main reasons he should get votes.

• Mooser says:

“Zionism isn’t a deviation from ancient “blood and soil” Judaism — it is the logical and inevitable expression of that tradition.”

Now, now, don’t go away mad, seanmcbride! If you don’t like that particular “tradition” we have plenty of other for you to try on, and remember, alterations are always free!
      And, as always seanmcbride, I stress that if Judaism or Jewishness does not please you, or if you find its effect deleterious on your bad self, you are free to leave it anytime you choose, without even making an announcement. You may convert to your choice of religion, or have none at all.
      And if you just stay for the bagels and the jokes, no one really minds. Good luck.

• Mooser says:

O BTW, Sean, when you say “blood and soil” Judaism in quotes, which Jewish text are you quoting? I never heard the term when I was in Hebrew School, but admittedly, I was not a very good student.

And if you, for some reason I am entirely unable to fathom, insist on taking the Zionist’s at their word about the nature of Judaism and Jewishness, I can’t help that. I mean, given what the Zionists set out to do, why on earth would they tell the Jews (who they expected to do it for them) anything else?

7. With due respect for all American readers, what does the fact that such a blatant moron can be a major star in America say about that country?

• Ellen says:

It says the most Americans are brainwashed and don’t see through him. He is promoted on MSN. Arianna Huffington gives the bigoted clown a column.

• aiman says:

In the same way Assad is a “monster” and Obama is a “prophet of hope and change”, in the same way a bearded cleric advocating murder of westerners is a criminal while a collared and tied Christopher Hitchens is applauded by members of the liberal-left, seduced by his wit and upper class British accent as he openly advocates war and murder. In the same way it is said ‘I like him, but don’t agree with his politics’. And so on and so forth. Bottomline: most human beings everywhere are tribal and not morally consistent.

• Mooser says:

“With due respect for all American readers, what does the fact that such a blatant moron can be a major star in America say about that country?”

That there’s still a chance for an idiot like me to be regarded as a big intellectual type?

• Antidote says:

“what does the fact that such a blatant moron can be a major star in America say about that country?”

It says what I’ve been saying on numerous occasions to counter the neurotic and hyper-emotional Israel-haters and projectionists on MW: he is a typical and perfectly honest American adoring Israel as the mirror image of the American way of fighting wars, which is: the stronger country (US) kicking the ass of a weaker country/adversary.

“It proves once and for all that Maher is just like THE most fascist hawks in Israel. ”

Like there are no fascist hawks in US history who were/are neither Jewish nor Republican?

Restraint, from the US perspective, is not dropping nukes.
      Where they did, they eventually even apologized, sort of, to Japan.
      Dropping the bomb on Japan was neither necessary nor in any way proportional.
      Both Japan and Germany (in WW I or II) were much weaker countries that were already fighting for survival and had in fact already collapsed when the US bombed their cities into rubble, and the devastation in Tokio achieved by conventional weapons was as substantial as the one in Hiroshima. I see no other reason for dropping the bomb on Japan than to facilitate a test case for the purpose of studying short- term and long-term effects, and to provide a deterrent emphasizing the message that all resistance to vital US interests and hegemony was futile and suicidal not just for the aggressor but possibly the entire globe

8. Bill Maher, proving once again that every issue is real simple as long as you don’t bother to learn anything about it.

9. “Stop firing rockets into Israel and perhaps they won’t annihilate you.”

Or perhaps they will. Very reassuring.

10. radii says:

Bill Maher usually has some pithy quips when making his observations and often skewers with the truth – but he’s got his head up his ass on this one

11. Taxi says:

Another pointless article about another inconsequential zionist.

Really Phil, you think Mahr’s got any worthy credibility on the I/P conflict?

The dude’s an islamophobic hasbarado. I don’t know why he doesn’t work for Fox News – he’s got about as much understanding of the conflict and for sure no integrity.

I bet he frothed at the mouth with the UN Palestine Upgrade the other day. Racist warmongers like him should be shunned not written about.

There needs to be some legal punishment for aiders and abettors of racism, not more articles on their abhorrent world view.

• “Another pointless article about another inconsequential zionist.”

I did not know how to put it right … you did Taxi, congrat …

And a little personal note about religion : religion is only a means of control and power by the elites. Those that act ethically rarely invoke religion as the main force behind their actions. That alone says it all … Wanna change the world ? Change your heart, mind and soul first. Those simple rules need not be written in any “holy books” from any “holy land” …

• Mooser says:

“Wanna change the world ? Change your heart, mind and soul first.”

Wow, that power and control really does work!

• It is working albeit slowly … But we know for sure (10’000 years experience and counting, billions of victims and counting ) that the opposite definitely does not …
          Religions are dogmas that obstruct people’s mind, heart and soul … Religions are the opium of the people … And as such they sadly work !

12. tombishop says:

Bill Maher has always had a blind spot for Zionism. How someone can claim to be anti-religious and support the theocratic, non-democratic (for Palestinians) state of Israel is a wonder to behold.

In the comment above, he shows total ignorance of the nakba and the theocratic justification used establishing Israel establishing as a Western base of operations in the Middle East.

In stating that Judaism is not warlike he also shows ignorance of the Tanakh (which is also the first five books of the Christian Old Testament) which today’s Zionists use to justify their aggression against the Palestinians.

The Christian Zionists, which he rails against, played a crucial role in establishing Israel and keeping U.S. foreign policy tied to Israel ever since.

Bill Mahr’s position, is at its core, racist.

13. jewishgoyim says:

Bill Maher… Oh and did he mention that taking any other position would be very damaging to his career? Just how many prominent media figures stand on the side of the Palestinians? Propaganda is useful because it gives people a way avoid admitting they think what they think because they are cowards and submissive to power however illegitimate and criminal it is. It preserves the self-esteem of guys like Maher (and that of a lot of less famous people). People crave ways of justifying what’s happening because it allows them to avoid responsibility.

I mean how does Maher KNOW that Israelis were responding to Palestinian rockets and not the other way around? Because he chooses to believe it. Because not believing it would be harmful to his interests. The beauty is that most people will never acknowledge they have no choice other than thinking what they think… It’s so internalized they don’t even realize it. I’m sure Maher thinks he’s a courageous guy.

14. Scott says:

Sounds like he should have supported Romney. I wonder whether he is deluded, or me–for supporting Obama.

15. tokyobk says:

But you are right that without a doubt he treats Islam differently than other religions and basically has a neocon view of the ME.

• does not give Judaism a break at all, a point he stresses here

iow, when he says judaism is certainly not as dangerous as Islam and Christianity. Those are warlike religions. it’s not meant as a ‘break’ nor does it insinuate judaism (and by extension jews) is/are less ‘war like’ than christians and muslims.

okey dokey.

• tokyobk says:

Yes, okey dokey. But that is not what Phil said. He said that Maher confesses his movie gives Judaism a break. Maher says the opposite and if you watch the movie you see Maher does not give Judaism a break.

• bk, please review this, specifically the bolded section:

But I’ve seen your live stand-up show and it seemed to me the religion you poke fun of the least is Judaism. Why is that?

BM: We do poke fun of it quite a bit in “Religulous” but I mean it’s certainly not as dangerous as Islam and Christianity. Those are warlike religions. The Muslim world was conquered in a century. Mohammad died in 632; by 732, they were at the gates of France, they were in the Pyrenees. Jesus Christ, I mean, you don’t do that by handing out pamphlets and singing ‘Cumbaya.’ They conquered by the sword.

HJ: So, in your opinion, Judaism is not as bad because it’s not as violent?

BM: There’s a lot to be made fun of in any religion, and that includes Buddhism, by the way. A lot of my Hollywood friends think ‘Oh, Buddhism is a philosophy, it’s not a religion.’ It’s a religion because it includes crazy whack shit that doesn’t exist, that somebody made up, like reincarnation. OK. But I mean, Judaism, we had a lot of fun when we did “Religulous” [because] we went to the institute where they invent devices that allow people on the Sabbath who cannot use electricity to take an elevator or ride in a wheelchair.

HJ: The Shabbes Elevator

BM. The Shabbes Elevator. Stuff like that is just insane and it’s funny but it doesn’t really threaten anybody’s life. I did a joke in my act about, ‘I’d like to see Joe Lieberman as President because he doesn’t use electricity on Friday night and so if there’s a nuclear attack, he gets a Shabbes goy to launch our nuclear missiles.’

maher was asked directly about poking fun of Judaism and his response, in his own defense, (unprompted by the interviewer) related to the danger of christianity and islam. what that tells me, a reader who has not seen his movie, is that maher’s humor surrounding both islam and christianity as depicted in his movie related at least in part to a violent nature in those religions. whereas, the humor he found in judaism was not related to violence.

and after he said that, in response, the interviewer (who probably heard what i heard) ask him straight up in his opinion if Judaism was not as bad because it’s not as violent?

maher answered the question indirectly by mentioning ‘insane and funny’ stuff in judaism with the caveat: but it doesn’t really threaten anybody’s life

this indicates to the reader the humor in his movie about judaism was non threatening and the others were not. that essentially is ‘giving judaism a break’. (unless the reader believes judaism is less (or non) violent in nature compared to other religions and maher is therefore accurately depicting reality in his humor)

now, have you seen the movie? perhaps i am incorrect. perhaps he doesn’t make fun of any religions thru mocking violence. in this case the proof is in the pudding. but i read it the way phil did.

this is a confession as well as a defensive response that addresses (justifies) the question asked of him: “it’s certainly not as dangerous as Islam and Christianity”.

• tokyobk says:

Phil Weiss said “Bill Maher confesses that his anti-religious movie Religulous cut Judaism a break.”
          Bill Maher does the opposite of that in the section you quote. He stresses that his movie makes fun of Judaism as well, stressing that “We do poke fun of it quite a bit in “Religulous” which the movie does.
          Bill Maher is a neocon and Islamophobic, here and elsewhere

10. Menachem Schneerson
          11. Ovadia Yosef
          12. price tag attacks
          13. Yigal Amir
          14. Yitzhak Laor
          15. Yitzhak Shapira

and dozens of other important topics related to Jewish religious Zionism and Judaism that are not in the least funny.

Maher is a big league and dedicated propagandist and apologist for Zionism in all its forms, secular and religious. And he is incredibly bigoted and venomous towards most groups outside this magic circle — especially Christians and Muslims — for whom he is seething with hatred.

Really — in some ways Bill Maher is rather creepy.

Now what is funny is that Maher totally loses his shit when anyone points out any problems with the 9/11 official story — and that includes leading members of the official 9/11 official commission. Fearless and independent thinker? No way. Israeli propaganda tool? Yeah — all the way.

• Annie and Mooser will always think Tokyobk is up to stealth Zionism, no matter what, even when we agree.

bk, this is not personal and it has been a long time since i ever expressed that towards you. i was actually impressed with your eventual forthcomingness in that one crammed Shmully and guilt comment section. can we get back to the point instead of your diversion wrt your hypothetical musings about accusations not in play today. thank you!

repeating “Maher does the opposite” again doesn’t enhance your argument. yes, he does stress his movie makes fun of judaism in lieu of directly answering his opinion on “Judaism is not as bad because it’s not as violent?”

but there is no ‘opposite’ to giving judaism a break in his movie because he ‘admits’ he jokes around with is using an example of not using electricity on the sabbath. his confession judaism is certainly not as dangerous as Islam and Christianity used in the very explanation/response about letting judaism off the hook does set up an opposing view, but it doesn’t support your theory.

anyway, have you seen the movie? like i said, the proof is in the pudding. did he make humor of only 2 of the 3 religions via violence while leaving one out? not really understanding the point in saying he’s a neocon and Islamophobic but ignoring the implications of his words in the interview. maybe there was a tad of hop in assumption, but not a leap by any means.

• W.Jones says:

“Maher says the opposite and if you watch the movie you see Maher does not give Judaism a break.”
          I think he does. He portrays its sabbath rules as sometimes silly, but that is not a harmful comedy about it. It is like saying to someone with red hair that they are “flaming” today or something. It is kind of like kids in the hall who bust on eachother.

The portrayal of Islam, on the other hand, was not giving it a break. I think the same thing is true of his portrayal of Christianity. He ended his movie by deriding apocalyptic thinking (pointing to Christianity and Islam which here he labels warlike), but failed to mention that this kind of thinking is also existing in the rabbinical community.

I agree with Phil’s characterization.

• Mooser says:

“Actually, read the whole interview and watch the movie and you see it does not give Judaism a break at all, a point he stresses here.”

Tokyoburgerking, what a breathtaking presumption you use. Oh well, I bet you get away with it most of the time. Yup, you are just the guy to tell us whether Judaism got its proper “breaks” or not.

• I’ve seen the movie. He goes after Jews, but only anti-Zionist Jews. There’s a long interview with a representative of a small anti-Zionist Orthodox sect that is just appalling–the guy keeps tying to explain his position, and Maher keeps interrupting him. The scene assumes that Zionism is just obviously correct (because of the Holocaust, of course) and the interviewee is a wacko.

• Antidote says:

“As an atheist, I view Maher (and Hitchens) the way most Christians view Fred Phelps and most Muslims Anjem Choudary–as an embarassment.”

Ha – completely agree.

But I would add that Maher simply plays on the somewhat valid point that Judaism, unlike Islam and Christianity, has erected significant barriers to proselytism – one of several factors (next to voluntary and forced assimilation/conversion, pogroms, ethnic cleansing and genocide) that has kept numbers small. How many Palestinians would voluntarily convert to Judaism if this would solve the ‘demographic problem’ and ROR issue?

Zionists conquering the Middle East converting Muslims into Jews and proceeding to the gates of France?

No matter how many nukes Israel has, and notwithstanding the relative powerlessness of the Palestinians, the larger picture always puts them into the role of David rather than Goliath

link to en.wikipedia.org

• Woody Tanaka says:

“As an atheist, I view …Hiitchens… the way most Christians view Fred Phelps… as an embarassment.”

LMAO. And to the vast majority of athiests, you’re like someone in Fred Phelps’ Church complaining that the Pope is an embarassment to “Real” Christianity.

• The vast majority of atheists don’t think of Hitchens, or anyone, as the Pope of atheism,

• Woody Tanaka says:

“The vast majority of atheists don’t think of Hitchens, or anyone, as the Pope of atheism,”

And I didn’t say we do.

I’m merely pointing out that your view of Hitchens as an “embarassment” to atheism would be rejected by most atheists on about the same rate that the opinions of one of Phelps’ followers is rejected by mainstream Christians.

• seanmcbride says:

8. pro-Israel
      9. pro-Jewish
      10. pro-Jewish apartheid
      11. pro-Jewish nationalism
      12. pro-Zionist

Right?

What do these self-contradictions tell us about where Maher is really coming from? One should be especially curious about people who are militantly opposed to every form of ethnic and religious nationalism in the world except one — Jewish nationalism.

Maher’s militant Jewish nationalism seems to be more emotional than opportunistic.

What are the odds that Bill Maher is one of hundreds, or even thousands, of Israeli/Mossad sayanim (helpers, operatives) in the mainstream media?

16. Mndwss says:

Crazy man this Maher person…

“It’s not that complicated: Stop firing rockets into Israel and perhaps they won’t annihilate you.” – Bill Maher

If only Jews in the Warsaw ghetto had thought about that when they threw Molotov cocktails over the wall at the Germans.

Perhaps they would not have been annihilated?

Almost all western politicians say today that Israel has a right to defend itself.

I guess those modern politicians would have supported Germany when they “defended” themselves against defenseless ghetto people in Warsaw…

17. chinese box says:

On second thought, I guess Maher must really believe this stuff. It would cost him a lot less (probably nothing, in fact) to take a “moderate” stance on this issue than his statements about the 9/11 hijackers cost him.

18. Maher gets to pretend he has plausible deniability by sizing up the conflict in such casual terms without actually critically examining the history. That his career would get no boost from voicing a pro-Palestinian is a given so regardless of whatever might be said in their favor, it’s a no-brainer for him to give them a pass at every opportunity. Dennis Miller admitted on Maher’s show that after 9/11, he chose to never utter a word of criticism against Shrubya. Maher, despite his worthwhile observations in other areas, is as dishonest as Miller in this regard, and illustrates quite well the layers of gatekeeping whether enforced or voluntary. He won’t do much more than parrot the Israel as white hats line because he won’t have much to defend without specifics. This allows him to continue with an overall impression of progressive bona fides while trumpeting just how wonderfully restrained Israeli brutality is. It certainly helps keep his blinders in place by not looking at anything else connected with 9/11. It’s possible that he’s that ignorant, but I think that he is more likely just an opportunistic shill that doesn’t have to worry about speaking truth to power here as it never would occur to him, because *he* can live with the consequences of Israel’s actions against the Palestinians (& Iranians, and any other Muslim entity Israel chooses to designate as the enemy)

It’s as if the Z-team had a conversation similar to this one with Maher -

[first lines]
    Lt. Col. Korn, XO: [speaking to Yossarian] All you have to do is be
    our pal.
    Colonel Cathcart: Say nice things about us.
    Lt. Col. Korn, XO: Tell the folks at home what a good job were
    doing. Take our offer Yossarian.
    Colonel Cathcart: Either that or a court-martial for desertion.

19. abdulwalee says:

the real problem is in fact the American public is not getting the full story watch this and tell me do you still think the American public are informed about this issue

link to youtu.be

Israel Attacks Gaza, Silence from Mainstream Media about Israeli Violations of International Law
    link to youtube.com

20. seethelight says:

Phil, why are you giving Maher any notice? The man is an entertainer, not a thought leader. He exists to make people laugh, which is fine as far as it goes. But he doesn’t deserve any mention on a serious blogsite like Mondoweiss. Absolutely no one with an IQ higher than 50 makes a decision based on anything Maher says or does.

• Ellen says:

Entertainers can and do influence perception. For much of the population, their world view and “understanding” comes fromentertainement.

that is why we find propaganda in comic books, entertainment movies and with the Mahers of the world. It is very relevant.

• chinese box says:

@seethelight

I agree that he’s a lightweight, but he reaches a large audience and may be influencing other PEPs (Rachel Maddow?), so I think it’s appropriate to call him out here.

21. RE: “Bill Maher says . . . Israel ‘kicked ass’ in its ‘little war’” ~ Weiss

MY COMMENT: For every day that passes, Bill Maher sounds more and more like David Mamet and/or Dennis Miller (politically speaking).

22. RE: “I mean it’s [Judaism is] certainly not as dangerous as Islam and Christianity.” ~ Bill Maher in the Jewish Journal

SEE: “IDF rabbinate publication during Gaza war: We will show no mercy on the cruel”, By Amos Harel, Haaretz, 1/26/09
    ‘[There's] biblical ban on surrendering single millimeter of [Land of Israel] to gentiles,’ publication said.

During the fighting in the Gaza Strip, the religious media – and on two occasions, the Israel Defense Forces weekly journal Bamahane – were full of praise for the army rabbinate. The substantial role of religious officers and soldiers in the front-line units of the IDF was, for the first time, supported also by the significant presence of rabbis there.
    The chief army rabbi, Brigadier General Avichai Rontzki, joined the troops in the field on a number of occasions, as did rabbis under his command.
    Officers and soldiers reported that they felt “spiritually elevated” and “morally empowered” by conversations with rabbis who gave them encouragement before the confrontation with the Palestinians.
    But what exactly was the content of these conversations and of the plethora of written material disseminated by the IDF rabbinate during the war? A reservist battalion rabbi told the religious newspaper B’Sheva last week that Rontzki explained to his staff that their role was not “to distribute wine and challah for Shabbat to the troops,” but “to fill them with yiddishkeit and a fighting spirit.”
    An overview of some of the army rabbinate’s publications made available during the fighting reflects the tone of nationalist propaganda that steps blatantly into politics, sounds racist and can be interpreted as a call to challenge international law when it comes to dealing with enemy civilians.
    Haaretz has received some of the publications through Breaking the Silence, a group of former soldiers who collect evidence of unacceptable behavior in the army vis-a-vis Palestinians. Other material was provided by officers and men who received it during Operation Cast Lead. Following are quotations from this material:
    [There is] a biblical ban on surrendering a single millimeter of it [the Land of Israel] to gentiles, though all sorts of impure distortions and foolishness of autonomy, enclaves and other national weaknesses. We will not abandon it to the hands of another nation, not a finger, not a nail of it.” This is an excerpt from a publication entitled “Daily Torah studies for the soldier and the commander in Operation Cast Lead,” issued by the IDF rabbinate. The text is from “Books of Rabbi Shlomo Aviner,” who heads the Ateret Cohanim yeshiva in the Muslim quarter of the Old City in Jerusalem.
    The following questions are posed in one publication: “Is it possible to compare today’s Palestinians to the Philistines of the past? And if so, is it possible to apply lessons today from the military tactics of Samson and David?” Rabbi Aviner is again quoted as saying: “A comparison is possible because the Philistines of the past were not natives and had invaded from a foreign land … They invaded the Land of Israel, a land that did not belong to them and claimed political ownership over our country … Today the problem is the same. The Palestinians claim they deserve a state here, when in reality there was never a Palestinian or Arab state within the borders of our country. Moreover, most of them are new and came here close to the time of the War of Independence.”
    The IDF rabbinate, also quoting Rabbi Aviner, describes the appropriate code of conduct in the field: “When you show mercy to a cruel enemy, you are being cruel to pure and honest soldiers. This is terribly immoral. These are not games at the amusement park where sportsmanship teaches one to make concessions. This is a war on murderers. ‘A la guerre comme a la guerre.’” . . .

ENTIRE ARTICLE – link to haaretz.com

• ALSO RE: “I mean it’s [Judaism is] certainly not as dangerous as Islam and Christianity.” ~ Bill Maher in the Jewish Journal

MY COMMENT: Inevitably, the correctness of Bill Maher’s claim depends upon which versions of Judaism, Islam and Christianity Bill Maher is referring to.

SEE: “Outrage in Gaza Redux”, By Rabbi Brant Rosen, 11/16/12

. . . Israel’s military assault on Gaza in 2008-09 represented an important turning point in my own relationship with Israel. I recall experiencing a new and previously unfamiliar feeling of anguish as Israel bombarded the people living in that tiny, besieged strip of land over and over, day after day after day. While I certainly felt a sense of tribal loyalty to the Israelis who withstood Qassam rocket fire from Gaza, I felt a newfound sense of concern and solidarity with Gazans who I believed were experiencing nothing short of oppression during this massive military onslaught.
      And now it’s happening again. Only this time I don’t think the term “anguish” quite fits my mindset. Now it’s something much closer to rage.
      It’s happening again. Once again 1.7 million people, mostly refugees, who have been living in what amounts to the world’s largest open air prison, are being subjected to a massive military assault at the hands of the world’s most militarized nation, using mostly US-made weapons. And our President is not only looking on – he is defending Israel’s onslaught by saying it has a right to “self-defense in light of the barrage of rocket attacks being launched from Gaza against Israeli civilians.”
      Let’s be clear: this tragedy didn’t start with the Qassams. It didn’t start with the election of Hamas. And it didn’t start with the “instability” that followed Israel’s withdrawal from Gaza.
      No, this is just the latest chapter of a much longer saga that began in 1947-48, when scores of Palestinians were ethnically cleansed
      from their cities and villages in the coastal plain and lower Galilee and warehoused in a tiny strip of land on the edge of the Mediterranean. . .

ENTIRE COMMENTARY – link to rabbibrant.com

AGAIN, MY COMMENT: Inevitably, that depends on which versions of Judaism, Islam and Christianity Bill Maher is referring to.

SEE: “‘You are fighting a religious war against gentiles’: What rabbis told Israeli soldiers in Gaza war”, By Mail Foreign Service, The Daily Mail, 3/20/09

Rabbis in the Israeli army told battlefield troops in January’s Gaza offensive that they were fighting a ‘religious war’ against gentiles, it has been revealed.
      An army commander wrote of the shocking command in an Israeli newspaper today – one day after it emerged that Israeli soldiers were told they could kill innocent civilians during the war.

‘Their message was very clear: we are the Jewish people, we came to this land by a miracle, God brought us back to this land and now we need to fight to expel the gentiles who are interfering with our conquest of this holy land,’ the commander said.
      The account by Ram, a pseudonym to shield the soldier’s identity, was published by the left-leaning Haaretz newspaper in the second day of revelations that have rocked the Israeli military.
      They were leaked from a February 13 meeting of armed forces members to share their Gaza experiences.

Some veterans, alumni of an Israel Defence Force (IDF) military academy, told of the killing of civilians and their impression that deep contempt for Palestinians pervaded the ranks of the Israeli forces.
      The institution’s director, Danny Zamir, confirmed that Thursday’s published accounts were authentic.
      In longer excerpts in its Friday ‘Week’s End’ edition, the daily quoted ‘Ram’ as saying his impression of the 22-day operation was ‘the feeling of an almost religious mission’. . .
      . . . the rabbinate’s message imparted to many soldiers the sense that “this operation was a religious war”.

A squad commander from Ram’s Givat Brigade, named as Aviv, recounted his misgivings about orders to break down doors with armoured vehicles and shoot anyone inside, floor by floor. In the event, the order was amended to include ‘operating megaphones’ so advancing troops could tell people they had five minutes to get out or be killed.
      Aviv said ‘there was a very annoying moment’ when he briefed his men and one challenged that order, saying: ‘Yeah? Anyone who is in there is a terrorist, that’s a known fact. . .
      ‘And then his buddies join in: “We need to murder any person who’s in there, yeah, any person who’s in Gaza is a terrorist’ and all the other things that they stuff our heads with, in the media,’ Aviv said. . .

ENTIRE ARTICLE – link to dailymail.co.uk

23. doug says:

Mahler believes it, that’s the problem. It’s also the result of the long campaign painting Palestinians, Arabs, and Islamists (gotta include Iran) as irrational and/or devoid of normal human feelings.

Ya know,
    They hate Jews more than they love their own children.
    They worship Death and can’t wait to have 72 virgins.
    They are falsely claiming land that isn’t theirs: ( remember this! A land without people for a people without a land)

when you are exposed to this over and over you’re gonna wind up living in a different reality.

Just read Goring’s rationalizations. People always somehow justify the most horrible acts.

24. seafoid says:

Bill Maher is very disappointing for an Irish American.
    But anyone who earns megabucks has to toe the line I guess. That is the system and ADL and AIPAC are the guards.
    Is there anyone with their own talkshow who stands up for the Palestinians or the Pakistanis ?

25. Sumud says:

Maher’s fawning over Israel’s militarism reminds me of this NSFW Latuff cartoon:

link to indymedia.org.uk

• piotr says:

Maher may play a scholar of religions on TV, but his knowledge seems to be confined to a collection of anecdotes.

Let us start with the beginning of Islam. The native region of the Prophet (PBUH) was inhabited by tribes that are pagan, Christian and Jewish (almost surely converts) and the religion that he revealed is called “Abrahamic” for a reason. The idea of holy war is of course fully present in the Torah, with Joshua, Samuel, David and lesser but important figures like Simeon and Levy. With a little difference that the heroes of Torah were committed to genocide, and the heroes of Islam, to voluntary conversion and tax on unbelievers.

Second question may be: can religions be divided into “warlike”, “pacifist”, “hard to tell”. One can quickly see that such simple label may be applied to sects or social trends within religions that can go in any which way. Consider Buddhist Samurai warriors, or Mongol-Manchu wars in XVII/XVIII century. One may conjecture that universalist religions like Christianity, Islam and Buddhism are better suited for Empires than more tribal or exclusive religions like Judaism and Hinduism, or Shinto, which may be better at preserving single nation states.

Because it was already commented with very good quotes, I will just add one old Jewish joke to explain superiority of Jews over Muslim. About 100 years ago several Jews were discussing which language is the nicest, until one convincingly declared: Yiddish! Why? Because you can understand every single word!

• I know it’s a cartoon, but ugh — Dershbag’s “O”-face. I need to go rinse my eyes in bleach, now… thanks!

I had a comment rejected recently for accusing one of our habaratchniks of “enjoying himself too much” while looking at maimed Gazan babies. Next time I’ll just borrow your link.

26. seanmcbride says:

The main thing one notices about Bill Maher is that he hates Christians and Muslims in a highly visceral, obsessive and nasty way, but that he holds very warm feelings for Jews and Israelis. He almost comes across as a Kahanist. (Keep in mind that Jeffrey Goldberg, Leon Wieseltier and Yossi Klein Halevi are all former Kahanists.)

From the standpoint of the Israeli government, Likud and Jewish settlers, Bill Maher is pure gold — a priceless propagandist for “liberal Zionism” (that is, Greater Israelism and Jewish racism/apartheid).

• If she were smart, America-hater Caroline Glick would hire Maher away from HBO and install him at her Latma ‘comedy’ project. At least Maher is occasionally funny, and I’m sure he’d jump at the chance to do black-face work.

• W.Jones says:

If it was a high-paying US show, don’t you think he would? And isn’t he exactly where he wants to be, with his own show?

• piotr says:

Indeed, the best that can be sad about Latma productions is their frugality. Thinking about it, “We Con the World” could not be shown to Stevie Wonder, but perhaps he has heard it?

27. Sin Nombre says:

Well well, a little example writ particularly blatant:

After all, when one sees a jewish attack on Christianity it’s invariably framed as being the result of the attacker feeling the terrible terrible weight of all the Christian tormenting of jews throughout history. I.e., absolutely and purely defensive.

So … Maher makes no pretense whatsoever of that here, clearly (and gleefully) setting out on the offensive to demean and degrade Christians especially (moslems obviously not being a big audience), obviously soft-shoeing it insofar as mainstream jews go and now actually admitting his deceitfulness. And … who expects any condemnation of any of this from the Abe Foxmans of the world? And who denies that he is essentially being *lauded* by the Jewish Journal here, and regarded as oh so cool? Admirable? *The* kind of guy to promote?

But no no no; no matter the offensive nature of the attacks upon them and their religion, Christians cannot conclude anything but that they are forever and eternally the oppressor/aggressor/offensive actor in relations with jews. That whenever they encounter any anti-Christian animus from jews, whenever they see their religion demeaned, degraded, ridiculed, that it stems only from the most innocent and indeed *rightful* of places. And when they see the jewish community remaining silent about it or even enjoying it as here; no no no, once again it can stem from only the most innocent and indeed rightful of places too. *They*—Christians—can *never* feel assaulted, insulted, under attack, or being victimized by vicious satire, smear, parody or ridicule. No no no: Never.

Next up, Maher or his equivalent noting how absolutely delightful it’s been in terms of getting laughs to link the word “priest” or the term “the Church” with the word “pedophile” for the last decade or so and all the smirking applause to be gotten from the word “alter-boy,” and afterwards explaining the invisible-to-all-others reason why they chose to not mention all those rabbis from all those East Coast jewish communities who’ve protected them and who it’s been discovered seem to have had a fondness for young boys and girls too. Gee, maybe cause those rabbis weren’t “dangerous,” ha ha ha….

• Mooser says:

“*They*—Christians—can *never* feel assaulted, insulted, under attack, or being victimized by vicious satire, smear, parody or ridicule. No no no: Never.”

Gosh, I don’t want to belabor the obvious, but a reaction like that towards satire, parody or ridicule wouldn’t be very, well, Christian, would it? I mean, where’s the charity and the forbearance, to start with. And as far as the implications of “Christians” reacting to these things, as you term them (“assaulted”, “insulted” and the ridiculous “under attack”) can you see anything except sin (possibly mortal sin) as the result?

• Mooser says:

“Next up, Maher or his equivalent noting how absolutely delightful it’s been in terms of getting laughs to link the word “priest” or the term “the Church” with the word “pedophile” for the last decade or so and all the smirking applause to be gotten from the word “alter-boy,”

Yes, but you just can’t expect people, even men trained in contemplation, to think of all the long-term consequences when they’ve got other stuff on their minds. You know how it is, everybody is all now, now, now, what do I want now.
      If only people would slow down and think a bit.

28. After Maher lost his TV show for saying the 9/11 terrorists were not cowards, I heard him being interviewed by I believe Terri Gross waving the flag about his patriotism and claiming to be half Jewish on his Mother’s side.

I take it he said the right things to get his show back.

• W.Jones says:

During the movie Religulous, his mother said they were Catholic in the past and “I don’t know what we are now”, and she looked at Bill for the answer, but he didn’t say anything.

• Eva Smagacz says:

• seanmcbride says:

Eva,

He hates Christians (Roman Catholics in particular), he is a passionate Zionist, he is warm to Jews in general (including neoconservative Jews), and he gives Judaism a pass compared to his strident attacks on Christianity and Islam.

From which one might reasonably speculate that Bill Maher identifies more with his Jewish than his Roman Catholic heritage. He may, in his own mind, be a militant ethnic Jew. Sometimes he even sounds like a Kahanist.

Of course he has a perfect right to do this. And we have a perfect right to mock him for his self-righteous, hypocritical, bombastic, unconscious and not very bright self-contradictions. Mock away. He invites mockery on this front.

All liberal, progressive and libertarian Zionists invite mockery — they don’t make a lick of sense. Their pretzel logic is usually hilarious. At least Likud Zionists display some integrity and consistency in their stance towards the world. They are who they seem to be.

• Mooser says:

“According to Wikipedia, for what it is worth, Maher’s mother is Jewish, and father is Catholic.”

There it is. He’s one of those December Double-Dippers!

• W.Jones says:

“pretzel logic”?

• W.Jones says:

By the way, Eva, thanks for sharing. I admire your work.

29. Baruch B says:

My visceral response is that Bill Maher is an untutored wit. He has a skill with insufficient tutoring to justify his public position. He has no feeling for Judaism, let alone any other religion. He seems to look at Judaism like a crude modernist believing that all religious practice is backward. The wheelchair business really got to me. Since the 19th century there has been something called “modern orthodoxy” beginning with the ideas of Sampson Rafael Hirsch. I became acquainted with him just after high school when I explored Orthodox Judaism and which I rejected. But I did develop some appreciation for some things. What is wrong with wanting a day to separate from all the technology we have to put up with within the capitalist marketing perspective as long as the day does not become a day of fanatical rules. And in modern orthodoxy one is suppose to break any rule to save someone’s life so that they can experience more Sabbaths in the future. Cannot one extrapolate that someone in a wheelchair might feel better about making an effort to experience the Sabbath and yet not have their life not be made more miserable by doing without their chair. Cannot the elderly have something in this regard if they live high up in a highrise? In high school I had a friend whose father put a timer on the family TV so the father could watch football. I did think that was not the right spirit. That is my opinion.

More than this at the Jewish Peace Fellowship jewishpeacefellowship.org we studied the difference between Rabbi Johanan ben Zakki, the peace rabbi in Roman times, and Rabbi Akiba, or even bar Kokhba, the warriors. Also we can find in the Torah, the Bible, that the Jews wiped out the Amalikites and that they were not to do this sort of thing again. If one has killed on less of a scale, it does not necessarily mean they are less violent because another has killed on a greater scale. If one has nuclear weapons, they are violent.

Maher thinks he is “objective” because he can make fun of his own when in fact he demonstrates he has no understanding of “his own.” He is poorly tutored and his wit is ill-informed.

30. pjdude says:

always liked bill maher but when it comes to religion and this conflict(and the crap they put in foods but i digress) he nothing more than a hack. also I find it amusing paint judaism as the least war like of the abrhamic faiths when both christianity and islam have far more restrictions on violance than judaism

31. Anyone who watches Maher’s program has seen the glee and satisfaction he took in the killing of Osama bin Ladin and Muammar Qadaffi. So he endorses the right of some to take violent measures against those who wronged them. His laying the blame for the I/P situation on the Palestinian missles, then, is racism, pure and simple.

32. W.Jones says:

Thanks for posting this, Phil.

BM: “They lost over 1,000 people and yet somehow Palestinians are celebrating in the streets? I don’t get this celebrating when you just totally got your ass kicked.”

Well, you probably don’t understand how religulous people in third world countries can experience joy when they are in the middle of particularly hard times anyway. Those guys have their families hurt very badly, and then they go to religulous places and praise the Lord. Hey, at least it works for them.

33. W.Jones says:

He is basically saying that Israelis were restrained because they didn’t use nukes and they annihilated the other people only because they were getting rockets fired at them.

His view of Christianity and Islam as more “warlike” religions must be that Christianity and Islam annihilate people for no reason and use nukes too.

It’s worth pointing out though that besides WWII, despite several countries from those two religious background having them (including rightwing Muslim Pakistan), they having been used.

• Mooser says:

“And how does the New Testament stack up against the Old one in terms of instructing people to become earthly warriors?”

Okay, W. Jones, you don’t have to rub our faces in it. Yes, many, many, many times more people have become Christian warriors for various causes, then there have ever been Jewish warriors. Not even close.
      Even if all Jewish children are rigorously and unceasingly drilled in Old Testament Jewish supremacist ideology, and not suffered to live past thirteen unless they make blood oaths to the Old Testament cause. There’s just not enough of us.

34. It’s a trend. British comedian Pat Condell skewers Christianity and Islam but gives Judaism a pass.

link to youtube.com

The wealthy Zionists create movements out of thin air. Maher, Condell they are Zionist chesspieces.

• Breaking the mold in that regard is Australian comic Jim Jefferies. He seems to be an equal opportunity offender. He’s outspokenly atheist and was running down his views of the different major religions and gets to Islam. He notices how the crowd goes quiet just at the mention. He then notes that if he couldn’t have beer and bacon, *he’d* probably fly a plane into a building. I forget what riff he did on Judaism but they were not spared.

35. I wonder if he read the Deuteronomy.

• Talkback says:

“Bill Maher says Islam and Christianity are ‘warlike religions’ but Israel ‘kicked ass’ in its ‘little war’.”

There’s trash. And then there’s Bill Maher.

36. kalithea says:

I disagree with those who think it’s pointless to write about Maher but I also think that writing about his views so matter of factly is also wrong. The man should be tarred and feathered for his bigotry and shamed repeatedly.

As I’ve stated countless times, Zionism is evil at its core and makes the evil in people predominate.

So Israelis demonstrated restraint? We should ask the few survivors of families which were decimated in Cast Lead and Pillar of Cloud whether Israelis showed restraint.

I can’t stand the sight of him for a minute; he’s that repulsive to me. Too bad he still has a public soapbox to pollute and poison minds.

37. Kathleen says:

been awhile since I saw that movie. But so obvious he went light on Israel so tilted, jaded, unfair. The movie made it clear that Maher has his head up where the sun does not shine on this issue. Islamophobic movie. Can not call it it a film

38. Kathleen says:

Did you ever watch Bill Maher’s interview with former head of the CIA’s Bin Laden unit Micheal Scheuer. Scheuer so politely wipes up the floor with Maher’s blind support for Israel. Could someone link that for me? Worth watching

• W.Jones says:

“Michael Scheuer destroys Bill Maher on Vimeo”
      vimeo.com/34497939

• seanmcbride says:

Kathleen,

Maher earned an English degree from Cornell — that’s cool — Cornell is a fine university. But he is hardly an expert on international relations or a serious mind in any domain. No wonder Michael Scheuer was easily able to take him apart. In general, Maher is a very gassy personality whose arrogance greatly exceeds his knowledge and intellectual command of any subject.

39. Accentitude says:

That’s kind of a dumb way to describe a religion: “warlike.” Does that mean that Billy thinks that the religion itself resembles or takes on the characteristics of war? It doesn’t seem to work quite as well as if I said that Bill Maher is a troll-faced goober who says dumb things for dumb reasons, pretends to be progressive, cutting-edge and hilarious when he’s absolutely none of those things.

By the way, how many asses has Israel kicked, Bill? Are we counting the GSS and the Shin Bet in the equation or are asses kicked during torture sessions not included in the final tally?

40. Ellen says:

Watch Bill Maher say on his show that he could not “get by” if something happened to Israel, when challenged by thoughts of being more concerned about the US than Israel.

link to youtube.com

Starting at minute 4:00.

Maher went through a cognitive breakdown.

41. MHughes976 says:

Maher thinks that you can prove simply – none of that complication – that you’re in the right by having a massive arsenal and not using it all on every possible occasion but even so kicking ass. That’s just another way of saying that might, so much might that you can prevail with little effort, is right.
    To say ‘I’ve kicked you and I might come back and knock your teeth out’ isn’t really a display of moral restraint, it’s an attempt to terrorise.
    Liberal militarism is still a very powerful force, isn’t it?

42. Dexter says:

Bill Maher has always been a racist who disguises himself as a progressive.

Watch As’ad Abukhalil completely expose Maher for the ignorant buffoon that he is! It is worth watching folks…