My first post-Snowden moment

Miranda2

About Katie Miranda

Katie Miranda is an illustrator, jewelry designer, and cartoonist living in Portland, OR. She is currently working on a graphic novel called "Tear Gas in the Morning" which is a memoir about the nonviolent resistance movement in Palestine. Visit katiemiranda.com to learn more. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/katiemiranda.bazaarkhalil Twitter: @KatieMirandaArt
Posted in Israel/Palestine, US Politics

{ 19 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Scott says:

This girl a great talent.

2. ritzl says:

My niece unfollowed me on twitter based on the Palestinian activists I was following and was followed by (not many, but that’s beside the point). I tried to explain, but there’s colleges to get into, jobs to be backgrounded for, etc.

I guess we’re all going to have to make choices. Tor remains uncracked. Maybe back to samizdat. Or something. Or maybe just leave it out in the open that some desk jockey in Virginian gets his or her jollies in such quantity that it all becomes noise/zebra effect.

Great strip.

• lysias says:

It’s not just some desk jockey in Virginia or Fort Meade, Maryland. Remember, the NSA turns over raw intelligence to the Israelis under that Memorandum of Understanding.

3. MHughes976 says:

I think you might as well go ahead and tell your friend whatever you’d like her to know. If secret police organisations want to find out about someone I can’t believe that simple discretion is much of a barrier. Your courage in producing a work called ‘Tear Gas in the Morning’ will be noticed by both admiring and invidious eyes.

4. Citizen says:

Miranda’s great!

5. pabelmont says:

Marvellous!

DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME!
    DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME!
    DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME!

I sometimes think we should fill our emails with formal “this is for NSA” paragraphs saying, maybe,

“Ahmed, Mohammed, bombs, joke, terrorism, explode, anti-imperialism, New York city subway, anti-USA, really funny, anti-Israel, Boston water supply, let’s blow up, planning, tomorrow’s the day — hey, hey, NSA, you listening in, did I make your day?”

After all, they are not supposed to be listening to us! so if we waste their time, they were acting illegally in the first place. Or were they? What would the corporate-imperialist supreme court have to say, years later?

If millions of people did this, and varied the messages to defeat the pattern-recognition software, we might tie the NSA in knots (at least, until legislation or regulation made such [jokey] stuff even more dangerous than it doubtless already is. (Don’t talk that way in the airport’s security line!)

DON’T DO IT! PROBABLY GET YOU IN TROUBLE.
    DON’T DO IT! PROBABLY GET YOU IN TROUBLE.
    DON’T DO IT! PROBABLY GET YOU IN TROUBLE.

6. Chu says:

It’s always worse than you imagine. Now that everyone and their grandmother has a cell phone, it provide audio (and video) access to anyone – at anytime. Victory, I’d say for NSA agents and their Stassi global networks.

7. I made a comment about the Shoah Foundation including the Nakba in their visual history project and wondered if that would raise red flags were I work.

It is prudent to be cautious as no one wants to subject themselves to unnecessary risk and intrusion. Your response was sensible and I’m sure your friend understood though it highlighted the reality of the situation quite starkly.

However, we must also remember that “silence = assent.”

Many courageous Palestinians have committed themselves to justice. I can do no less even though the price I might pay is so unequal.

8. I know they’re watching me. I know they are!
    When I go to look at an item for sale at Amazon or some other internet merchant, the NSA then bombards me with advertisements for exactly the same item for days and days afterwards. Just to let me know they’re watching me.
    To taunt me!
    And to torment me!
    They never let me have a moment’s peace! ! !

9. Eva Smagacz says:

Oh poor Dickinson, I recommend clearing cookies, but it’s really scary…….

• I don’t really think the targeting used by Google Ads relies upon cookies in your browser. I think it’s something more sophisticated like some type of “tracking”, but I’m not certain.
      At any rate, I’ve pretty well learned to ignore all the ads.
      And I’m certainly not going to throw away any of my perfectly good cookies!
      Waste not, want not (as they say in Yorkshire)! ! !

10. Denis says:

Suggested amendment to Ms. Miranda’s bio, required b/c sometimes modesty trumps veracity (that’s when commentors step in):

Katie Miranda is an illustrator, jewelry designer, and brilliant cartoonist living in Oakland, CA.