Girl rapper tells of sharing stairs to her Jerusalem house with Jewish settlers who flash pistols

This is a short film produced by Defence for Children Palestine. Tayma ‘Fteiha is a 13-year-old girl rapper who must share the steps to her home in Silwan, East Jerusalem, with settlers who have colonized her neighborhood and aim to demolish Palestinians houses. They flash their pistols at her as they walk up the steps. She says she feels “crushed” every time she leaves her house.

“We had a childhood just like everyone else, but it wasn’t a normal childhood,” says 13-year-old Tayma. “Everywhere we turn, the settlers are around us … They came to our land, stole our land, and are saying that it’s theirs.”…….

“All the houses here are under threat of demolition [by Israel] so that the settlers can build a park for their children,” says Tayma. “They want to throw Palestinian families on the streets so that they can build parks for their own children.”

…..

“My dream is like the dream of any Palestinian kid,” says Tayma. “It is to live in safety and not in the shadow of colonization, and not to feel crushed every time I leave the house. And my other dream is to become a famous Palestinian rapper.”

About Annie Robbins

Annie Robbins is Editor at Large for Mondoweiss, a mother, a human rights activist and a ceramic artist. She lives in the SF bay area. Follow her on Twitter @anniefofani
Posted in Israel/Palestine

{ 19 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Mike_Konrad says:

This video has been floating around for a while. EI had it weeks ago.

• mike, if you click on the video you can see it was downloaded onto youtube on october 3rd, that’s not a secret. however, i just saw it for the first time yesterday and when i read her dream was to become “a famous Palestinian rapper” i thought hey, why not show this excellent video on mondoweiss.

i was impressed by her courage and voice. i didn’t google around to see if anyone else had ever covered it.

and btw, there’s another palestinian artist i didn’t get around to reporting about until he had already made headlines. you can read more about him here: link to mondoweiss.net

better late than never!

• Mike_Konrad says:

What I noticed about the video was that her songs are political, not about love.

13 year old girls should be singing about love. Not about boys throwing stones; but about boys with nice hair.

I do not know who to blame about this more?

The conservative Arab culture – which does not give women romantic freedom – or their political predicament. Probably a bit of both.

• it’s her life she writes about. settler neighbors are not the result of “conservative Arab culture”. she lives in silwan, it’s being ethnically cleansed.

• tree says:

13 year old girls should be singing about love.

Speaking of paternalism, maybe you should be checking your own log before casting aspersions about the mote in others eyes. Check your own sexism in that statement of yours. Do you you really think that you should be the arbiter of what 13 year old Palestinian girls are thinking about?

Its long ago, in less liberated times, but trust me, I had political views when I was 13, and they were stronger than my adolescent crushes (and “nice hair” is a crush, not love). And I grew up in a pretty average middle class household without a lot of personal hardships to deal with.

I don’t know your age, but you really do need to examine your prejudices, Mike. You pretty much stereotype everyone.

• Cliff says:

How is it the girl’s fault that Jewish settlers harass her?

Your religious fundamentalism has warped what little morality you had left.

• kayq says:

Women do get romantic freedom, thank you very much. Also if you’re expecting her to sing about love, then that says a lot about Western Culture.

For a 13 year old, she seems very intelligent and aware. Also if you live in Palestine, your whole life is dictated by politics and you can’t escape that.

• pjdude says:

thats rather misoynistic. who the hell are you to say she can’t sing about a topic because she is female.

• seafoid says:

So obviously if it is a few weeks old the behaviour of the settlets is kosher. And anyone who disagrees hates Jews.

2. Although I don’t want to see my city divided again, the reality is stronger and I think the Jews don’t have to buy more houses in Silwan, only when peace come.

• Woody Tanaka says:

1) Al Quds is not “your city.”
      2) typical zio, blaming the victims. No one is forcing these Jews to oppress the Palestinians. They are choosing for themselves to do it.

• @Woody: I don’t understand you at all!! I say something that support the Silwanis and you negatively reply? What do you mean typical zio? Strange comment!!

• Woody Tanaka says:

MY1, perhaps you should consult with the MY1 who has better English if this is intended to support the Palestinians, but it reads as if you are saying that the Jews will only stop stealing this land (no, they’re not “buying” anything) when the peace comes (which your implicitly blaiminv on the Palestinians).

. If you want to be supportive of them, you should persuade your fellow israeli Jews to elect a government that will arrest these Jews, return the property to its rightful Arab owners and pay full compensation, and then pull completely back to the 1967 line.

• Woody: You correct. When I read my sentence again I see it has double meaning. The correct sentence is: “Although I don’t want to see my city divided again, the reality is stronger and I think the Jews don’t have to buy more houses in Silwan. They can buy only when peace come.”

Thanks for your recommendation, but I don’t want people to be arrested. For the rest I agree: full compensations for ALL victims of the conflict and free Palestinian state on the basis of 1967 line.

• seafoid says:

Israel is a democracy. I am sure west quds will respect the demographic will of ej.

3. @Walid: Please, listen carefully from 1:54 “Hada…..Lalarab…” “All…for Arabs”.

• Inanna says:

She’s pointing out which houses have Arabs living in them and which ones have Jewish settlers living in them. Pointing out those facts is in any way controversial. I bet you listen to Beatles records backwards.

• @Inanna: My comment to Walid has nothing with the Silwan’s houses and with the video’s subject. I only wanted that he pay attention to the girl’s language.

4. kayq says:

Oh it’s probably also worth noting that this video features Tamer Nafar from Palestinian hip-hop group DAM!