Bloom where you are planted

The Separation Wall cuts through the West Bank landscape. (Photo: WIkipedia)

The Separation Wall cuts through the West Bank landscape. (Photo: WIkipedia)

Bloom Where you are Planted

I’ve dug roots into the land
I was born in
that grew
through the dry layer
of Israeli sand
castles and fortresses
and below
into the rich
red
soil
of Palestine
I drink
deep
and I bloom.

Winter
Dedicated to my friends and heroes in Gaza

I am not quite alive
not quite dead
Some would say I
am not
dead
enough

ghostlike
silence
falls like snow
all around me
When I opened my mouth and screamed
no sound came out.
Or did it?
If sound came out of my mouth they would have heard me.
Wouldn’t they?

One day my rage
will melt
ice
into tears
will flow
feeding
wild
flowers
of spring.

for Freedom

Checkpoints full of families all dressed up
All the Men take off their belts
one by one
Waiting

Streets full of shining children in new clothes
All the Little boys hold toy guns
forming groups
Dreaming

This Eid is stained with longing

About Neta Golan

Neta Golan is a co-founder of the International Solidarity Movement. She lives in the occupied West Bank with her Palestinian husband and their three beautiful daughters- an illegal act under Israeli apartheid law.
Posted in Israel/Palestine

{ 14 comments... read them below or add one }

1. just says:

Simply beautiful. Thank you Neta!

2. Neta Golan is a… She lives in the occupied West Bank with her Palestinian husband and their three beautiful daughters- an illegal act under Israeli apartheid law.

Illegal act?? Really??

• LeaNder says:

I wondered about that too, MY1. Could it be related to the fact that one needs knowledge of Japanese to read her blog killingwithoutconsequence.com?

Could it mean, it’s illegal to marry anyone that is not Palestinian plus who has the same status (Israeli Arab, WB/Gaza citizen, Jerusalemite, however that was termed. Anyway someone that can live but not vote there.

Apart from that allowance to marry inside your special groups marriages are illegal. You cannot marry a solidarity activist for instance?

Whatyathink?

Winter feels very, very familiar. And if my above interpretation is correct, I don’t object to rootedness, which admittedly triggers series of textual associations.

• just says:

MY1– from what I understand, Neta Golan is a Jewish Israeli and an activist with ISM. She lives in Oslo Designated Area A (Ramallah). For her, as an Israeli citizen, it is illegal for her to enter ( much less live with her family) without permission from the IOF.

And yes, it is apartheid.

• Neta Golan says:

Just nails it above. There is a military law forbidding Israeli citizens from entering “area A” and another forbidding Palestinians from the occupied territories to enter the parts of Palestine now considered Israel. I have been arrested leaving Nablus with my daughters. My sister in law came to take my girls form the checkpoint back into Nablus and I was taken to the Ariel settlement police station. On another occasion when i was taking the girls to visit their grandmother I was allowed through the checkpoint but they were not. If we leave the country, I have to leave through the Sheikh Hussien bridge where they are not allowed and my husband and daughters need to leave through the Alenbi bridge where I am not allowed. All these restrictions are from the Israeli military which is the sovereign here.

• LeaNder says:

Thanks for explaining Neta. Good luck anyway. For me as a German, I can assure you, the idea of criminalizing intermarriage is highly disturbing. Maybe I should add, similarly disturbing is the use of the term race by many American Jews lately.

• Neta Golan;

Why? Why all these restrictions?

Look, Neta, I am a Jewish Israeli like you lives in South Jerusalem all my life, even before 1967. I still remember my parents “doing Shuk” in Bethlehem market without any problems. They took a bus from Beit-Safafa to Bethlehem. Like my parents, thousands of Israeli visited the WB cities every day for shopping, fix their cars and especially to take treatment by Palestinian dentists (Oh, the prices, the prices…). Before calling me a liar, please ask the old members of your husband family about it.

This situation ended in year 1988!!! restrictions started then and were expanded. Around year 2000, Israel started to build the wall which you call “apartheid Wall”. Now, let me ask you: What happened in those years? Did Israel one day became “Apartheid State” as you say after years that Israelis visited WB only for the fun? Maybe something in the behavior of the Palestinians forced us to put many restrictions? Don’t you think that Israel must take measures in order to protect our lives?

I have a lot to write you, but let’s finish here. Shalom.

• MHughes976 says:

This seems like usurpation and conquest rather than sovereignty. Thankyou for making the indignities that you endure the source of powerful information for us.

3. oldgeezer says:

Beautiful. Sad and hopeful.