Israeli police ransack Tariq Abu Khdeir family home and arrest relatives in apparent revenge raid

The Abu Khdeir home following vandalism by the Israeli police. (Photo provided by Hassan Shibly)

Just hours after 15-year-old Tariq Abu Khdeir left for Ben Gurion International Airport to return home to Tampa, Florida, Israeli police raided and ransacked the home of his family in the Shufat neighborhood of occupied East Jerusalem. The police arrested Abu Khdeir’s uncle and cousins without charges.

The Israeli motive appears to have been revenge for the family’s role in publicizing CCTV footage of Abu Khdeir’s brutal beating at the hands of Israeli police, and their public campaign to secure his return to the US.

Abu Khdeir had been jailed without charges after being beaten inches from his life during rioting in Shufat in protest of the murder of his cousin, Muhammad Abu Khdeir, by Israeli nationalists seeking vengeance. Footage of the beating was aired on news outlets around the world:

By beseeching a shockingly obstinate Florida congressional delegation to agitate for Abu Khdeir’s release and return home, his family generated further media attention, throwing the Israeli government on the defensive. Under pressure from the US State Department, Israeli police finally released the brutalized teen on July 16.

photo 1 (1)

According to Hassan Shibly, the director of CAIR-Florida and legal counsel to the Abu Khdeir family, Tariq Abu Khdeir headed for the airport with his parents at 6 AM on July 17. Back in Shufat, the day passed without any disturbances. At 1 AM, however, a squadron of Israeli police burst into the Abu Khdeir family home in Shufat and ransacked the place, smashing furniture and emptying cabinets with reckless abandon.

The police left with Tariq Abu Khdeir’s 59-year-old uncle, Iesa, in handcuffs, along with his cousins Musaa and Anen.

Musaa Abu Khdeir’s mother told Shibly she was informed by a magistrate judge that her son and Iesa Abu Khdeir would be released but they remain in custody.

According to Shibly, the family is “terrified.”

As the army bombards Gaza by sky and invades it by land, pushing the civilian death toll over 200, the police raid back in Shufat suggests that Israel’s thirst for revenge has become insatiable.

About Max Blumenthal

Max Blumenthal is an award-winning journalist and bestselling author.

1. just
    July 18, 2014, 3:05 pm

What I have to say is very foul and will not contribute to any conversation…

I can say this, though: they profess belief in Judaism and a higher power, and they act like the Devil himself. Pure, malicious evil.

• Mndwss
      July 18, 2014, 3:51 pm

They are bombing graveyards in Gaza.

As someone in gaza said: They are even trying to kill the dead.

• Miriam
        July 18, 2014, 5:06 pm

Mndwss…..about graveyards in GAZA…..strangely enough as I was scanning news items in JTA today….I spotted an item that US Congressional reach has passed resolution to protect graveyards anywhere from destruction especially if its religiously based, no doubt it was an aipac written piece aimed at protecting long abandoned old European Jewish cemeteries..but the first place I thought about was the international graveyard in Gaza…where they’ve been tending the site for decades with care. Why is US Congress more interested in protecting graveyards over living people in peril in Gaza???

• just
        July 18, 2014, 5:31 pm

As I said, they are evil personified.

• amigo
        July 18, 2014, 5:49 pm

Justice delayed , is justice denied.

• Chu
        July 18, 2014, 9:59 pm

Good, the spirit will rise with a multitude of powers.

• amigo
      July 18, 2014, 5:03 pm

Just , I said it for you but it was rejected.

This image somehow got my gander up.

• just
        July 18, 2014, 11:00 pm

;-)

July 18, 2014, 6:21 pm

“they profess belief in Judaism and a higher power”

Well, wouldn’t they? And why not? What does it cost them?

• W.Jones
        July 19, 2014, 1:19 pm

Hello, Mooser.

It’s fun reading your writing because of your sense of humor. Sometimes Sean talked with you about the overlapping of Judaism and state nationalism. And in fact since you are such a fun conversant, I would like to invite you to my friendfeed group.

To address your topic directly, there are two issues: First, what do the religion’s teachings say about the nationalism? Secondly, what does the religious community say?

To answer the first part: the religious writings take the view that the Messiah would establish an autocratic theocracy. However, since the writings were “prophecies”, they can be seen as metaphors, and one need not see it in terms of the kind of political system they had in 1000 B.C. Don’t forget that God did not prefer for Israel to have a king in the first place. That implies that God’s perfect king might not be the kind of king people normally think of it. So the Christians can be right about that. Yet Jewish tradition did involve a focus on a real life theocracy, and it was due largely to the Romans that they did not have this.

A second major point about this is that Judaism does teach that its nation would dominate the world. And yet again, this is expressed in prophecy, and leaves open the possibility that the nation is really supposed to be a prophetic metaphor for all the world’s believers. That’s because the Bible sees prophecies in terms of metaphors. Abraham was supposed to be the father of “many nations”, his descendants were to inherit the Levant, and the whole world is supposed to follow his God. So how can the prophecies of national power really only be about one nation only? If all those nations come to believe in Jehovah (and most nations have), and the nation of Israel is supposed to be generous and loving, why do entire societies have to be fully segregated from eachother from top to bottom? I also believe that Isaiah actually is not always talking about the ancient nation of Israel when he uses the term Israel, either. Sometimes he differentiates the two.

My conclusion from this is that Judaism has an internal tension about theocratic autocracy and nationalism. On the surface, it can look like Judaism teaches both, but if you open up the prophecies independently of those ideologies, then you should conclude that the religion really does not teach autocracy, and its belief in national power is far more flexible.

Studying Judaism in an extremely loyal and honest way to see if it opens up to an interpretation that is non-autocratic and non-nationalistic must be a major demand for its adherents who are capable enough to face the challenge. I believe that M.Ellis and others have the mental prowess and familiarity with Judaism to take on this task. But we are getting into an interpretation of ancient Judaism that is rarely taken head-on outside of Christian circles.

• Penfold
      July 19, 2014, 1:03 am

“What I have to say is very foul and will not contribute to any conversation…”

I agree, there are things I would love to say but I suspect it would just come out as a long stream of expletives.

• LuLu
      July 19, 2014, 11:27 am

@just, these people do not and are not following Judaism which is the Torah. These are pure devils. Anyone following the word of God, i.e Torah, would not do this. God always punishes, wait and see, He too will fulfill His promise against the evil and wicked who are tyrants on the lands.
      People need to start realizing the difference between Jews vs Zionist.. These are Zionist. Jews are their victims just like everyone else.

2. a blah chick
    July 18, 2014, 3:13 pm

Just when you think that they couldn’t sink any lower they manage to find another sub basement.

3. justicewillprevail
    July 18, 2014, 3:27 pm

Just shocking in its deliberate callous vindictive spiteful thuggish nastiness. Uppity Palestinians who publicise the beating of a young man will get put in their place – prison without trial, humiliation and no doubt more beating. You think they can’t sink any lower into the moral cesspit, but here they come to excavate another layer. This family, in any ‘civilised’ country, deserved apologies and reparations – this is Israel’s version. A boot in the face. No-one is immune from the fascists in Israel. State-sanctioned thugs.

4. Kay24
    July 18, 2014, 3:46 pm

Evil, malice and hatred, the hallmarks of the Israeli armed forces. This is adding insult to injury. This family has been through agony, with the gruesome death of their child, and the horrible beating of another kid, and now the zionist nazis, once again show their savagery, trashing this home.
    Is this also “defending” themselves Obama (and the rest of the Israeli supporters?).

• bintbiba
      July 18, 2014, 4:15 pm

Graceless, charmless, uncouth, vulgar!! I can think of much , much worse…. but my beloved mother would have been ashamed of me ! They are to be pitied ,as that is very deranged behaviour!

• Kay24
        July 18, 2014, 4:25 pm

I try hard to contain myself too. I wish I could use stronger language.
        Let’s agree to have some tea and fume about it. Heh.
        I wish the media would cover this interesting tit bit. But, no, how can they say anything that would offend their bosses?

5. Jenin Younes
    July 18, 2014, 4:05 pm

my dad never allowed me to publicize his awful experience at Ben Gurion saying he thought Israel would retaliate against his family. I thought he was being paranoid. Not any more.

• ritzl
      July 18, 2014, 5:53 pm

Yeah. What are the odds of it happening to you, right?

We’re all learning right along with you, Jenin. Even cynics like me. And I hate to say it (but at least I recognize it and can manage it) cynicism is turning to malice.

Better days.

• Jenin Younes
        July 18, 2014, 9:11 pm

Yeah, speaking of malice, definitely lost some friends in the last few days. I try to keep politics and friendships separate, but I can’t be friends with people who defend what Israel is doing, no matter how great they are otherwise

• bilal a
        July 19, 2014, 12:55 am

Torat Ha’Melech is wildly popular in Israel in spite of the controversy it aroused, and as the Israeli political leadership fanned the flames of hatred and vigilantism – culminating in the burning to death of Mohammad Abu Khdeir – the pogrom advocated by these two rabbinc nutjobs and their numerous supporters was carried out. Just as it is being carried out by the IDF in Gaza today. The crazed genocidal doctrine of Shapira and Elitzur isn’t some fringe phenomenon: it is the national spirit – and military doctrine – of the state of Israel.

…would you want to live in the same country with a population of committed genocidal maniacs? Israel cannot be reformed or “saved”: it can only be dismantled. The whole society is poisoned by hatred, racism, and a quasi-religious ideology rivaled in its violent fanaticism only by groups like al-Qaeda and ISIS. The Israelis are demonstrating this every day as they wantonly dismember Palestinian children while celebrating their own brutality. ….

They are sadists, pure and simple, who murder for the sheer joy of it.

link to original.antiwar.com

And this Judeo-Christian zionist culture runs American Hollywood, academia, Wall street, and Congress, spreading their disease globally.

so sad for humanity.

• ritzl
        July 19, 2014, 1:40 am

@Jenin- It really is a deep character flaw, innit? Question is whether it’s a permanent malignancy or a treatable condition.

I hope your friends are treatable/educable.

• nettee
        July 19, 2014, 3:59 am

Funny you say that Jenin,I too am friendless now.All my friends believe thoroughly in the Israel narrative.
        For me(a former liberal Zionist) the images of dead children and the absolute wanton slaughter is enough to convert me forever-no equivocation,explanation can sway me now.
        So I look for some new friends and I creep off to Mondoweiss to convince and console myself that I’m not alone!

• Jenin Younes
        July 19, 2014, 11:38 am

@ ritzl–some have proven themselves educatable/treatable; others not so much. those are the ones I am no longer friends with.

Nettee–hope you find some consolation here. I, too, come to the comments section when I feel the world is just too insane and to remember there are sane, good people who care about the rights of all humans

6. seafoid
    July 18, 2014, 4:41 pm

A Jew in the land of Israel Is holier. Even the atrocities are holier. The arseholes are holier. And on the seventh day gd looked at Israel and looked into selling it on ebay so as not to bring shame onto the family.

July 18, 2014, 5:09 pm

“And on the seventh day gd looked at Israeland looked into selling it on ebay”

I really doubt He will find a customer for it. Do you want it? I wouldn’t take it if it was offered to me on a plate. A whole country full of Hophmi’s, Dabakrs, and the rest. No thanks.

Maybe God should put it in Craigslist in the “free for the picking up” column.

• seafoid
        July 18, 2014, 5:14 pm

I’m sure there’s a sucker somewhere in oklahoma who’ll be tempted especially if gd throws in bar refaeli and a few of the elite tsahal amazon torturers with their tits out.

• amigo
        July 18, 2014, 5:47 pm

“Maybe God should put it in Craigslist in the “free for the picking up” column.” Mooser.

Suspended animation until a cure is found.

• Kay24
        July 18, 2014, 5:51 pm

There is always that junk company that WE pay to have junk removed.
        It might be worth our money.

• Citizen
        July 18, 2014, 6:12 pm

I’d pay to have the entire US Senate removed.

July 18, 2014, 6:25 pm

“There is always that junk company that WE pay to have junk removed.”

Whatever happens, we will pay.

• jimby
        July 18, 2014, 7:41 pm

I think some Texan would love to raise red heifers there.

• ritzl
        July 19, 2014, 1:45 am

LOL! Hagee/CUFI would love to buy it and burn it.

7. Steve Macklevore
    July 18, 2014, 5:58 pm

I’d really like to see shits like Professor Alan Dershowitz see this and understand that this is the reality of the country they love so much.

It’s a dirty racist vindictive shit-hole of a place, with one remarkable talent. just when you think they’ve stooped as low as any society can go, they go even lower.

Fuck Israel!

8. xanadou
    July 18, 2014, 6:08 pm

In the face of israel’s sadistic inhumanity, one wonders how much longer the world will remain silent, sitting on its thumbs. The phenomenon also explains the peculiar silence and indolence of pre-WW2 Germany and US/Euro passivity induced by cowardly politicians, media and the vast community of the Nazi admirers among the elites.

There is, however, nothing that compares to the uncritical glee of the israeli citizens who are happy to climb a hilltop and be entertained, yet again, by watching the destruction of humanity while sipping freshly brewed coffee. Whatever next? An orchestra of starved Palestinians to play soothing tones in the background? Mahler or Wagner?

9. Stephen Shenfield
    July 18, 2014, 7:11 pm

Palestinian-Americans are a very significant threat to Israel’s hold over US politics. Blackmail with their relatives in Palestine as hostages is an obvious way to keep their mouths shut. Targeting them directly would be unnecessarily risky.

10. Daniel Rich
    July 18, 2014, 8:40 pm

The Apartheid State must have ‘legitimate rape’ cases…

• a blah chick
      July 19, 2014, 6:54 am

In fact I think there have been a couple of recent cases where the court said she provoked the guy.

11. asda
    July 18, 2014, 8:42 pm

The more injustice i see in the palestinian territories, the more i begin to identify with the horrors of the holocaust. The more i feel in some strange way for the parents and relatives of the israeli aggressors. How interesting, yet sad.

12. Kate
    July 18, 2014, 9:00 pm

I used to think there was logic in Israel’s actions, if I could only figure it out. I no longer think that. They’re just crazy in a very vindictive, paranoid way. They’ll do anything.

July 18, 2014, 9:35 pm

Kate, isn’t it obvious that many Israelis, and indeed, the most powerful of Israelis, are convinced the world will thank them for eliminating the Palestinians.
      Perhaps they know something we don’t.

13. Sycamores
    July 18, 2014, 10:30 pm

i want thank Mondoweiss, Max and Commentators for keeping us up to date. the lost of life is heart breaking. i have never seen so many people that are so angry towards Israel invasion of Gaza. things are changing on the ground. a line has been drawn, you have to choose what side of the line you are at. i can only hope tomorrow will bring us better news. i’m truely sorry for my expression of naviety but i’ve to believe things can change, the death of innocence is unbearable.

14. Marnie
    July 18, 2014, 11:51 pm

When I first saw this headline, I thought it was the US Abu Khdeir’s home had been ransacked by police. The way the US has been kissing the Israeli death machine’s giant ass, and the fact that israelis have been in the US to give police departments some pointers, it seemed so real to me. I don’t put anything past them and no one else should either. The fact they appear have carte blanche when it comes to wickedness confirms in my mind who they serve. Like a blah chic said so well “just when you think that they couldn’t sink any lower they manage to find another sub basement”.

• Miriam
      July 19, 2014, 6:56 pm

Marnie…..a slight correction …..American police/sheriffs departments have been IN ISRAEL….Dozens of states and thousands of police, over the past few years to receive ‘special’ training overseas, there in the belly of the beast. Though by no means is this link the only resource, I’m posting it because of where it was found. However, I do recommend researching this topic ….and hoping that some enterprising writers/journalists might take up this topic and deepen the resources. Who pays for it and what is exchanged aside from immeasurable propaganda. Orwell might have considered including this in 1984, but thought it was “overkill”….
      see this one:
      link to jewishvirtuallibrary.org

15. The Hasbara Buster
    July 19, 2014, 2:44 am

Business as usual for the Israeli army and police. When Salam Amira, then 16, filmed an Israeli soldier shooting a blindfolded and handcuffed detainee in the foot with a rubber bullet, and sent the video to the Israeli human rights group B’Tselem, the IDF began to shoot at her home. See this brave girl standing by her window, which has a hole with cracks spreading in all directions, here. Now it’s the turn of Tariq’s relatives for daring to film his brutal beating.

It is terrifying to think that if this boy had not been American, his “confession” would already be in the hands of the Israeli police and he might spend months in prison. Shared values?

16. Sumud
    July 19, 2014, 3:40 am

Over 1000 people have been arrested in recent weeks. The raid on the families home is pure intimidation.

Gestapo.

17. Mondowise
    July 19, 2014, 4:20 am

i am so genuinely sickened by the horrific evil of iZrael. it affects me so severely and i can’t bear the agony…i’ve felt anger like i’ve never known before, disgust beyond words, pain so profound i’ve dropped to my knees. on and on and on their evil deeds continue unabated and supported by our psychopathic govt. it’s truly unbearable. i empathize deeply with how Palestinians must feel being the victims of such brutality…FOR OVER SIXTY YEARS!!!! they suffer a collective punishment akin to the holocaust, whereas izraeli zionists suffer a collective narcissism akin to Hitler.

the hideous criminal face of iZrael is rapidly becoming uglier, more repulsive and far more intolerable to the world. their only meaningful victory is self-delegitimization. and despite the ongoing silence (complicity) at iZrael’s egregious crimes, i am convinced the sentiment worldwide is dropping like a rock and will indeed manifest in some productive action, else those who can effect change cannot be classified as human beings.

18. Daniel Rich
    July 19, 2014, 4:24 am

Israeli fears shift from skies to below ground.

I shit kid you not.

The ‘Palestinian Underground Mole Machine Excrete Lebensraum’ Brigades [PUMMEL] are nearing the walls of… oh, crap… they’re everywhere!

Where’s a proper sinkhole when you need one?

19. Daniel Rich
    July 19, 2014, 4:26 am

Israel pounds Hamas targets .

It’s on google, so it won’t be long…

20. eileenfleming
    July 19, 2014, 9:02 am

Because Tarek Khdeir, is a resident of Tampa District 14 and I am a Florida correspondent for The Arab Daily News, I phoned US Representative Kathy Castor’s office in DC on 7 July.

The woman answering the phone asked if I had already left a message and I replied no, but chances are she will be hearing from many Media outlets.

After being put on hold I was instructed to phone the Tampa office (813) 871-2817 and ask for Press Secretary: Marcia Mejia.

After being put on hold in Tampa, I was told Marica Mejia was unavailable so I left my phone number requesting a call back.

No call back came so I published my article and informed the Tampa office offering to edit the article to include US Representative Kathy Castor’s statement- I am still waiting:
    link to thearabdailynews.com

• just
      July 19, 2014, 9:57 am

12 days and nothing from Castor…the silence is deafening and telling.

21. Citizen
    July 19, 2014, 10:25 am

All explaind by AIPAC dollars and US main media control by Zionists.