Banksy goes to Gaza

News travels fast. Yesterday, Banksy published video and photos from a recent trip to Gaza on their Instagram account and set the internet ablaze. The New York Times published a statement from the artist: “I don’t want to take sides. But when you see entire suburban neighborhoods reduced to rubble with no hope of a future — what you’re really looking at is a vast outdoor recruitment center for terrorists. And we should probably address this for all our sakes.”

Image: Banksy

Image: Banksy

And look, a Banksy promotional travel video-documentary “Make this the year YOU discover a new destination” where he rappels through the tunnel and burst out on the other side — in Gaza –“Well away from the tourist track”:

We love Banksy — who doesn’t?

Banksy writes, “A local man came up and said ‘Please – what does this mean?’ I explained I wanted to highlight the destruction in Gaza by posting photos on my website – but on the internet people only look at pictures of kittens”:

Banksy in Gaza

Banksy in Gaza

Banksy also explains, “Gaza is often described as ‘the world’s largest open air prison’ because no-one is allowed to enter or leave. But that seems a bit unfair to prisons – they don’t have their electricity and drinking water cut off randomly almost every day.”:

Banksy -- Gaza

Banksy in Gaza

People are going nuts:

About Annie Robbins

Annie Robbins is Editor at Large for Mondoweiss, a mother, a human rights activist and a ceramic artist. She lives in the SF bay area. Follow her on Twitter @anniefofani

1. Karl Dubhe
    February 26, 2015, 3:59 pm

That’s one heck of a video.

A photo’s worth a thousand words, but that left me speechless.

2. Bornajoo
    February 26, 2015, 4:05 pm

Thanks Annie

Another great artist adds his voice to the ever growing list. The video is laced with ironic humour and brings home the horror of the total destruction of the place ad the daily nightmare of living there.

• Annie Robbins
      February 26, 2015, 4:31 pm

Thanks Annie

my pleasure and someone helped with this article (as sometimes happens around here), i can’t take all the credit. but thank you.

3. Les
    February 26, 2015, 4:18 pm

The Times can’t spare a reporter in Gaza because it would upset their promos for the notion that Israel and Hamas are equals as were the terrorist Jews of the Warsaw Ghetto and the Nazis who exterminated them.

4. pabelmont
    February 26, 2015, 4:25 pm

Mocks advice for travel to nifty “undiscovered” places, too! In this case, arguably “undiscovered” by all those “liberal Zionists” who somehow don’t “get it”.

A delight.

5. Bumblebye
    February 26, 2015, 5:19 pm

It must’ve spread fast for me to have seen it 10 hrs ago – when I linked it in response to a comment on another thread a couple of hours later (was it kay24 mentioning it was already in Haaretz?) it was only 17hrs old! I don’t usualy see/find stuff til it’s at least a couple of days old.

• Annie Robbins
      February 26, 2015, 5:41 pm

very fast bumblebye. adam sent it to me yesterday w/the “ablaze” embed in the first sentence. i just didn’t have the juice in me to write anything at that time. i think there were just a couple hundred hits on youtube. now there’s 340k

• bintbiba
        February 26, 2015, 5:54 pm

annie… Thank you for that . I love Banksy .What an imagination and vision . The crying woman in the ruin of a doorway is a timeless record . So affecting !!
        I’d love to have a reproduction of it. Will have to enquire here about that.

• Annie Robbins
        February 26, 2015, 9:43 pm

Will have to enquire here about that.

by all means bintbiba, let us know the results. i’d love one too, it is really gorgeous. i recommend the closeup. which currently is right here: http://banksy.co.uk/

• DaBakr
        February 27, 2015, 2:19 pm

@bt

i thought-at least at first glance-it was a reproduction of the famous A. Rodin’s ‘Thinker’ statue.

6. Kay24
    February 26, 2015, 9:21 pm

Thanks for writing about this Annie. Banksy seems to be doing good work, and must feel satisfied that the focus is on the plight of the Palestinians, victims of a military occupation, and periodically targets for testing new Israeli made weapons (maybe American made too).

Nothing like beautiful art highlighting the pain and suffering of people, because we have seen the ugliness from Israel, very often.

• bintbiba
      February 27, 2015, 4:55 am

annie… of course ‘the closeup’ minus the surrounding obscenity of the rubble ( The realism would be too much to bear… As a work of art…it is so beautiful. I hope to be able to find out whether posters are available.
      Don’t you just love the children on the merry-go-round fluttering around that grim watch tower?
      There is so much poignancy and childlike innocence + provocative depth in Banksy’s work that I find hard-hitting!.

7. Qualtrough
    February 26, 2015, 9:48 pm

I can pretty much guarantee you that Hasbara task number one right now is to expose and broadcast Banksy’s real identity and to cast aspersions on anything he ever did or was ever involved in.

8. RoHa
    February 26, 2015, 11:57 pm

Excellent work by Banksy.

“on the internet people only look at pictures of kittens”

We do sometimes look at other things. But kittens are what the internet is for.

9. amigo
    February 27, 2015, 8:03 am

This gem made it to the pages of the Irish times.Unfortunately it was not a comment based item .

I wonder if the Zionist animal lovers will drop whiskas food parcels for the cat.Just to salve their consciences. Ok , I am being kind ,making the assumption , they have a conscience.Anyone know the daily minimum food quota for Gaza,s furry friends.Perhaps someone from the Israeli health dept can tell us.

• Pixel
      February 27, 2015, 11:14 am

Whiskas. Haaaa!

Love this:

Banksy writes, “A local man came up and said ‘Please – what does this mean?’ I explained I wanted to highlight the destruction in Gaza by posting photos on my website – but on the internet people only look at pictures of kittens”

———-

I was, just this minute, before coming into MW looking at David Williams newest work, Men & Cats

While real men may not eat quiche (link to Amazon) many do love cats.

(Three in my house.)

• Pixel
        February 27, 2015, 11:18 am
      February 27, 2015, 5:20 pm

“I wonder if the Zionist animal lovers will drop whiskas food parcels for the cat.Just to salve their consciences.”

Maybe. I can’t stop thinking about the 15 yr. old kid interviewed in Jerusalem, who couldn’t wait for burnt-animal sacrifices to start up again at the Temple. I wouldn’t let him near my cats.

10. calisson
    February 27, 2015, 8:22 am

Really interesting article. I think he has chosen to take sides–against injustice.

On an editorial note, “he rappels threw the tunnel and burst out on the other side..”?

I think you meant “through the tunnel”….

11. Vera Gottlieb
    February 27, 2015, 9:27 am

I am ashamed of my Jewish background. ‘The Chosen’ treating anyone like this – no shame, no consideration, no pity – pure hatred, pure loathing. For shame, israel – for shame!!!

• bintbiba
      February 27, 2015, 11:07 am

No, Vera….
      Nothing to do with your background !

It is people who act, not backgrounds.
      Be proud of who you are ….you do your people proud.!!!

• Pixel
        February 27, 2015, 11:19 am

@bintbiba

• seafoid
        February 27, 2015, 11:21 am

Hey Bintbiba

I found another quote that explains why I am not Charlie and why I love Falastin

“Soul is indigenous, it needs to grow out of its own ground”

Israel has no soul. It sold it all for military superiority.

And the land is still Palestinian regardless of the concrete.

The olive trees feed the soul. The soul thrives on helping people, not killing them.

• Walid
        February 27, 2015, 12:14 pm

I join bintbiba and Pixel, Vera, you have nothing to do with this Zionist mess.

• amigo
      February 27, 2015, 12:22 pm

Vera, you represent what is good about the Jewish people.

• seafoid
      February 27, 2015, 1:52 pm

Israel is a car crash, Vera. It’s up there with the GOP as the manifestation of short termist pointless self destructive venality

• Cliff
      February 27, 2015, 1:57 pm

This has nothing to do with your background. Do not let Zionism define your Jewishness. Your identity is your own.

February 27, 2015, 5:28 pm

Oddly enough, in a certain way, it’s possible that crazy Rabbi who got the blurb on the bus about the “Gentile waiting for the Jew to act” may have a point. When there is a visible and operating non-Zionist Jewish religious and/or fellowship extant, it can’t help but point out that there is indeed a division on Zionism in the Jewish world.
        And creating those non-Zionist Jewish denominations (look, you can’t expect non-Zionist Orthodox to hang out with non-Zionist Reform, can you? So there would need to be several, at least) is something no Gentile, no Palestinian, can do for the Jews. But if we do it, the reverberations will be profound. I get the feeling that it’s close.

12. Pixel
    February 27, 2015, 11:35 am

I just saw this link on JG’s twitter feed. Its only relevance, here, is that it’s also art. I’d never seen it before. lol
    Tehran Cartoon Biennial 2009: Best Caricature

• Pixel
      February 27, 2015, 11:39 am

He’s taking that pair off; they were hurting his ears.

13. bintbiba
    February 27, 2015, 11:51 am

……..and Falasteen loves you back , Seafoid . You are an embodiment of Soul !

A very special friend of mine and I would love to smoke that ‘Shisha’ with you sometime soon.

14. bintbiba
    February 27, 2015, 12:10 pm

……and Falasteen loves you back , Seafoid !! You are the embodiment of Soul !

I have a very special friend …and we’d both love to smoke that ‘shisha’ with you!!
    Please come to London.

15. bevkrell
    February 27, 2015, 6:17 pm

My respect and admiration to Banksy who through his art has shown us the suffering of the Palestinian people.

16. michelle
    February 28, 2015, 2:34 pm

you tube has blocked the video
    G-d Bless

• Bornajoo
      February 28, 2015, 2:37 pm

@Michelle – no it’s still there, I just checked

• michelle
        February 28, 2015, 2:56 pm

hello Bornajoo
        I hope your day is wonderfilled
        m
        you are quite right
        i’m on a library/broadband computer
        and just watched the video
        old dog new tricks takes time lol
        going to a public place to view videos that make me cry
        what fun …. not
        hitler was crazy he needed help not power or a position of leadership
        who is the hitler of Israel or Zion or whatever and who is allowing
        this craziness to represent Israel or Zion or whatever
        G-d Bless

• Bornajoo
        February 28, 2015, 3:10 pm

“hitler was crazy he needed help not power or a position of leadership”

Great line Michelle. You can easily swap Hitler with Netanyahu: Netanyahu is crazy, he needs help not power or a position of leadership

I hope the rest of the day gets better

17. Mayhem
    March 1, 2015, 9:08 pm

From Banksy propaganda video

No cement has been allowed into Gaza since the bombing

Now the facts Gaza cement being diverted to black market – and taxed by Hamas

Has Banksy got any plans of going to Syria where the real action is?

• Kay24
      March 1, 2015, 10:45 pm

It makes many wonder why Israel gave Hamas the opportunity to do black market deals over there. Israel massacres Palestinian civilians, and flattens their homes, and look, it is Hamas who is benefitting from cement deals. Once again it is all Hamas’s fault, isn’t it? No Israeli precision bombs sent into civilian homes, no deals for Hamas later.

Banksy may have plans to go to Syria, but presently he is focusing on one of the most brutal occupations in the world, the one that has been going on for more than 60 years.
      One criminal nation at a time and all that.