US writer Kristian Davis Bailey is racially profiled, arrested, strip-searched, detained, silenced, traumatized on trip to Palestine

Middle East

Two months ago, the Detroit writer Kristian Davis Bailey, who is active in the Black Lives Matter movement and Palestinian solidarity work, posted a notice on his Facebook page directed to friends who were worried about him saying that he had been detained for more than a day when he entered Palestine from Jordan. Today Bailey has come forward with a full account of his treatment last December, and it’s riveting. Published at Colorlines, the piece is titled, “Traveling While Black: I Was Racially Profiled and Locked Up in Israel.”

Calm, measured, and thoughtful, I urge you to read this account in its entirety for a glimpse of the Israeli security mentality, and how it reads people of color. Here are some excerpts.

I was subjected to a full strip search and placed under arrest. I entered Palestine in the backseat of a police van, handcuffed and shackled and flanked on either side by Israelis with U.S.-made military-grade assault rifles.

The police drove me 30 minutes from the Jordanian-Palestinian border to a station in Ma’ale Adumim—an Israeli settlement in the West Bank that is illegal under international law. Here, the police interrogated me before I could speak to the lawyer I had asked for, in contravention of Israeli law. They told me to sign multiple forms that were printed only in Hebrew, a language I cannot read or understand. The police then confiscated all of my electronics—phone, computer, camera, voice recorder and hard drive.

After briefly consulting with a public attorney, police took me to the Russian Compound in Jerusalem. Despite repeated requests, I was not allowed to call my parents, the U.S. Embassy or any local contacts.

Nobody knew where I was.

Bailey was jailed overnight. The next day a judge demanded $1500 bail and Bailey’s passport, and ordered him to remain in the country for 10 days.

Police released me 27 hours after I first arrived on Palestinian soil. It was only at this moment that my family had any idea where I was.

He couldn’t go anywhere because he didn’t have his passport, and stayed with friends in Tel Aviv and Jaffa. But things got really crazy when he was brought in for a second interrogation

Two days after my release, I was summoned to the Ma’ale Adumim police station for a second interrogation.

During a two-hour period, the two police officers questioning me spent no more than 10 minutes asking about the Captagon I was allegedly smuggling. For the rest of the time they scrutinized photographs from my camera and phone. Based on these pictures they interrogated me about my prior travels in the region, the organizing I’d done in the U.S. and my attendance at a political rally for Rasmea Odeh headlined by Angela Davis.

The police attempted to create a narrative that I supported Al Qaeda and ISIS and they called me a liar when I stated, unequivocally, that I did not.

Bailey says it’s clear to him what happened. He was racially profiled, and that profiling is part of the structural racism of Israeli society.

Israeli border agents racially profiled me long before accusing me of drug smuggling. Halfway through the bus ride between the Jordanian and Israeli terminals, an Israeli soldier ordered me and a Muslim man from the U.K. traveling with his wife and children off our bus the moment it entered Israel-controlled territory. We were the only two questioned out of 20 people.

Bailey explains that he was traumatized by the experience, muzzled, and transformed. But he is not abandoning the work.

I was targeted at the intersection of Israel’s Zionism and anti-Blackness. I was targeted at the intersection of the global War on Drugs and the War on Terror. I was targeted for being a young Black male. The international marker of “Blackness as criminal” superseded the global mobility of a U.S. passport.

And while the racism I experienced didn’t surprise me, I was traumatized. I’ve spent much of the last two months withdrawn from my family and friends. I feel defeated in the sense that racist Israeli border authorities and police stole time and opportunities that I will never get back.

Whether intentionally or not, authorities stopped me from delivering messages about Black internationalism to the conference I was supposed to attend.

Here’s a promising and idealistic young American writer and look what happens to him when he’s coming to Israel to speak. Noam Chomsky got turned away at the same border on a similar type of mission and the Israelis later apologized. What will our government do for Bailey? Queens Congressman Gregory Meeks reached out to US embassy officials on Bailey’s behalf, he says, but it’s not clear that this intercession played any role in the case. The US government ought to protest this treatment. It won’t, of course, beyond some mild demurral; and so Kristian Davis Bailey’s case goes into the deep file of border harassments and rejections and deportations that is, at least, changing Israel’s image for the world.

Of course Bailey says Palestinians suffer far worse. But if you think this incident is trivial, you’re wrong. Saying he was “deeply ashamed” of his country, George Orwell once condemned Britain for the miserable way it treated Henry Miller, when that writer tried to enter the country.

A couple of bureaucrats had got an artist at their mercy, and the mixture of spite, cunning and stupidity with which they handled him made one wonder what is the use of all this talk about democracy, freedom of the press, and what not.

Bailey’s treatment was even worse; and the lesson is just as clear.

Thanks to Ofer Neiman.

1. diasp0ra
    February 25, 2016, 3:40 pm

But miss Israel was Black that one time, so I’m sure that makes up for this.

• rugal_b
      February 25, 2016, 3:55 pm

Actually, antiblack and anti-Brown (or better known as anti-Arab) racism are widely documented to occur in IIsrael towards its own Jewish citizens. Racism by white jews is increasingly becoming a common talking point among the millenials Jews, who are developing the same form of political and social consciousness as POC Americans. This a white supremacist problem, not a Jewish or Israel specific one. Black Jews have it just as bad in Tel Aviv as black Americans in Chicago or Los Angeles. Brown Arab-Jews have it slightly better but only as long as they tow the line and pay fealty to the sociocultural and political values of white, European Jews.

• diasp0ra
        February 25, 2016, 6:42 pm

@Rugal_b

Might want to re-tune your sarcasm detectors there.

• RoHa
        February 26, 2016, 4:41 am

And bang goes your pretension to education.

It’s “toe the line”, as all regular readers of MW know.

• rugal_b
        February 26, 2016, 8:54 am

@Roha, regular MW readers know what…the fact that Israel is a white European supremacist establishment just like the US, Canada, Australia or how to property spell “toe” ?

February 26, 2016, 11:07 am

“rugal b” is here to educate us!

February 26, 2016, 11:52 am

“Israel is a white European supremacist establishment just like the US,”

“Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! I am the…”

2. MHughes976
    February 25, 2016, 3:56 pm

I don’t for one minute think that they believed that the ibuprofen was anything bad – it being so obviously what it was and so obviously not what they said – they just wanted to disrupt the Birzeit conference. It wasn’t the narrow-minded bureaucracy of Orwell’s time but something a bit more intelligent and a lot more cynical.

• kalithea
      February 26, 2016, 10:05 pm

I would replace intelligent with sinister.

• MHughes976
        February 27, 2016, 6:10 am

Sadly those terms are completely compatible.

3. Froggy
    February 25, 2016, 4:31 pm

“Bailey was en route to speak at Birzeit University in the West Bank about the Black Lives Matter movement and its connections to Palestine when he was stopped at the Allenby Bridge crossing between the West Bank and Jordan by an Israeli official who said that his Ibuprofen was in fact a drug favored by ISIS militants (!).”

… not to mention little old ladies recovering from hip replacements.

• RoHa
      February 26, 2016, 4:43 am

Dear God!
      That Ibuprofen stuff is openly on sale in every chemist and supermarket in Brisbane. I’m surrounded by terrorists!

February 26, 2016, 10:43 am

Ibuprofen, I find, works very well on oral or dental pain. By using Ibuprofen, I can transcend dental medication.

4. Neil Schipper
    February 26, 2016, 2:35 am

Photo shows a gazillion crazed white Israelis chasing some black guys who are running for their lives! Dopey grievance mongers: take notice!

• diasp0ra
      February 26, 2016, 3:33 pm

What does that have to do with this incident, which is not at all unique?

5. Neil Schipper
    February 26, 2016, 3:44 am

jp replaced photo with a video.

orig photo archived: link to web.archive.org

6. rightcoaster
    February 26, 2016, 2:41 pm

I return to Mondoweiss from time to time to see what’s new, especially when I am waiting on “hold” … and nothing is ever new. The site misrepresents itself, as dishonestly as anything the natterers here complain of. This comment is to a post by Weiss, whose world it is — so I guess he can define the laws of physics that apply to it. Sort of like the proprietary regime of the Saudis, where the laws there are also created by the owner.

The header tabs refer to Israel/Palestine, Middle East, US Politics — but despite them, there is only one theme here — anti-Israel in any flavor shape or form contrivable. I’m impressed at such a single-minded (or shall I say “groupthink”) devotion to one issue can fill these “pages” with a never-ending stream of biased naivete. I think there are pills for such OCD, but evidently nobody here is medicating with them.

• diasp0ra
      February 26, 2016, 3:32 pm

@rightcoaster

What’s an “unbiased” way to cover Apartheid and Colonialism?

Is there a neutral way to cover crimes against humanity? Racial profiling? Murder?

Keep on coasting.

• rightcoaster
        February 26, 2016, 4:04 pm

Thank you for asking a question to which I hope (but doubt) you honestly seek an answer. First of all, you do not know what apartheid is, or you would not ask it in this context. That Israel is not an apartheid country or society (although it is far from the utopia you seek, your utopias exemplified by every other country from Morocco to India and eastward), is demonstrated, since you are fixated on Arabs, by the fact that it is legal for Arabs to own property in “Jewish” neighborhoods, and for Jews to own property in Arab ones, and for either to live in either although few do so; that Arabs and Jews can vote in the same elections for any of the candidates, I think marriages or at least cohabitations are not illegal between Arabs and Jews (straight or queer, by the way), and many other examples can be cited if you really are interested. As for “colonialism:, I’m pretty sure you don’t know what that is, either. But Israel is a proper country, and it is at war with certain other countries, such as Syria and Iraq and Lebanon, and with “entities” including the PA and Hamas and Hezbollah. As such, the borders of the recognized State of Israel have never been agreed by the nations and entities still at war with it (her? I think “medina” is feminine). So, where is the colonialism you decry without understanding, and where is the irredentism you also do not understand but which is an ongoing threat to the genuine and highly successful country of Israel?

If you wish to study apartheid, start by understanding it lots better than the glib tossing of the word. If you wish to study colonialism in the Arab Middle East, a really good place to start might be Rathmell’s published PhD thesis focusing on Syria — shows how utterly messed-up that place and its neighborhood is today and has been since Ottoman days. Then try Rogan’s History of the Arabs, and you will see the same thing, if you keep your BS-detector on for discounting his uncritical Arabist swooning — a total mess, which is always, always, always blamed on somebody else.

So, if you would think about your notions instead of parroting words you do not comprehend, you might really get somewhere. But not on Mondoweiss, a strange place with laws of its own.

• Annie Robbins
        February 26, 2016, 7:58 pm

actually that’s untrue. ie here’s an article about chomsky w/nary a word about israel w/the exception of an inclusion of dershowitz’s critique of chomsky w/a mention of israel in his description , hardly germane to the article link to mondoweiss.net

and here’s an article on sanders w/no mention of israel link to mondoweiss.net

here’s another 2 on clinton, no mention of israel in either
        link to mondoweiss.net
        link to mondoweiss.net

more recent articles w/ no mention of israel

link to mondoweiss.net
        link to mondoweiss.net
        link to mondoweiss.net
        link to mondoweiss.net

those are just a few. maybe your obsession w/israel makes it so that’s all you see. just thought i’d clear up that one misconception.

• diasp0ra
        February 26, 2016, 5:06 pm

@Rightcoaster

Actually, Israel fits the Rome statue definition of Apartheid to a T:

Inhumane acts “committed in the context of an institutionalized regime of systematic oppression and domination by one racial group over any other racial group or groups and committed with the intention of maintaining that regime.”

I don’t know what your definition of Utopia is, but it sure isn’t that a state give full equality to all those it rules. Yes, that includes /all/ the people it rules, even those it doesn’t want to admit it rules in the West Bank and Gaza. Even the Palestinians inside Israel have literally dozens of laws designed to keep them under.

What kind of “proper” state is so obsessed with demographics that it needs to mark out what percentages of what ethnicity they want in Jerusalem?

Now, your snide remarks aside, Israel is an excellent example of settler colonialism. I have no clue how you could argue otherwise. That it is successful or proper country does not factor into its definition. The US is a super power, but also a product of settler colonialism. How is this not obvious?

But it sounds like you almost believe yourself. I know exactly what I’m talking about, thank you very much, do you?

February 26, 2016, 5:29 pm

“But not on Mondoweiss, a strange place with laws of its own.”

Not at all! Same rules for everybody.
        Why, did you think you didn’t count? Don’t worry, you do.

• gamal
        February 26, 2016, 6:04 pm

“your utopias exemplified by every other country from Morocco to India and eastward), is demonstrated”

you think this racist sneering doesn’t give you away?

Rogan was a student of Hourani and should not be dismissed because of the shout out by rc,

Andy Rathmell is mainly a security analyst, no idea about his PhD but I would suggest that if your reaction to academic studies is “shows how utterly messed-up that place and its neighborhood is today and has been since Ottoman days.” I’d suggest you re-register with your High School because your education did not take the first time round as you are as ignorant and small minded as it is possible to be,

” That Israel is not an apartheid country or society (although it is far from the utopia you seek, your utopias exemplified by every other country from Morocco to India and eastward), is demonstrated, since you are fixated on Arabs”

as far as i am aware that is the first time i recall seeing a poster here proffer a racial insult to another poster,

“the utopia you seek, your utopias exemplified by every other country from Morocco to India and eastward” what are you talking about you supercilious moron.

• DaBakr
        February 26, 2016, 6:08 pm

@rc

sorry rc. all you are going to get {besides a lot of zionist-hating sht} is a lot of links. links to so-called ‘definitions’ of ‘apartheid’ constructed by many who have/had overly anti-zionbist views. you’ll be linked to numerous u.n. documentation of voting from all sorts of ‘committee’ on what is or isn’t apartheid and tailored to specifically reflect the conditions of a dispute where borders were to be negotiated over and are not and never have been defined. and when somebody says the ‘territories of judea and samaria are ‘illegal under international law’ they forget to add the insipid little “considered” before “illegal” as there really is a semantic difference. you may not hear that discussed but you’ll hear of many places to go to read of apartheid comparisons.

• Annie Robbins
        February 26, 2016, 8:33 pm

all you are going to get ..is a lot of links. links to so-called ‘definitions’ of ‘apartheid’ constructed by many who have/had overly anti-zionbist views.

hmm, i generally link to the legal definition of the “crime of apartheid” as defined by the 2002 Rome Statute. link to en.wikipedia.org

it’s sort of irrelevant what views people have wrt to the legal definition of the crime since there is only one legal definition.

• talknic
        February 27, 2016, 12:38 am

@ DaBakr “sorry rc. all you are going to get {besides a lot of zionist-hating sht} is a lot of links. links to so-called ‘definitions’ of ‘apartheid’ constructed by many who have/had overly anti-zionbist views.”

Sorry to burst your smelly little inconsequential Ziofart bubble buddy. The 2002 Rome Statute, which is the Internationally accepted definition of apartheid doesn’t mention Zionists, Israel, Jews. It’s equally applicable to everyone

” and when somebody says the ‘territories of judea and samaria are ‘illegal under international law’ they forget to add the insipid little “considered” before “illegal””

Another Ziofart bubble about to burst. UNSC res 476, doesn’t use the word ‘considered’. In fact none of the UNSC resolutions reminding Israel of the binding laws and UN Charter they emphasize and reaffirm and condemning Israel for its illegal activities in non-Israeli territory use the word ‘considered’ OR ” judea and samaria”

“when it comes to apartheid definitions-you will find most mw commenters are satisfied with a direct comparison with zionism and usually zionism will emerge as the ‘far worse of the 2’. have fun”

Uh huh. Seems they’re actually citing the Internationally accepted definition, the 2002 Rome Statute, which doesn’t mention anything you wish it would.

So apart from making an utter fool of yourself, (thanks, keep up the good work), you’re wasting your time babbling bullsh*te

• talknic
        February 27, 2016, 12:51 am

@ rightcoaster “Thank you for asking a question to which I hope (but doubt) you honestly seek an answer”

Citing the 2002 Rome Statute not honest? Opinions, no matter by who, are irrelevant. Only the actual words of the definition are the definition

” it is legal for Arabs to own property in “Jewish” neighborhoods”

Uh huh. Cite the statistics showing actual Arab ownership. BTW Many Arabs in the illegal Jew only settlements in the occupied territories?

and for Jews to own property in Arab ones”

Again, cite the statistics and then let’s do a comparison of how those laws are enacted

BTW Israelis, Jewish and non-Jewish are prohibited by International Law from illegally settling in non-Israeli territories

That’s enough for you to ignore for now

• Kris
      February 26, 2016, 3:44 pm

@rightcoaster: “I think there are pills for such OCD, but evidently nobody here is medicating with them.

The problem is really that few commenters here are taking the Ziocaine as prescribed by Dr. StandwithIsrael. At billions of dollars a year, it is too expensive, and the side-effects are truly horrifying.

• MHughes976
        February 26, 2016, 4:27 pm

If our problem is naïveté then I suppose we are failing to recognise that ‘it’s complicated’, I would be interested to have an indication of the complex tangle that we are missing – then we can have a discussion without use of drugs.

February 26, 2016, 4:59 pm

“The site misrepresents itself, as dishonestly as anything the natterers here complain of.”

Thanks for registering, and contributing at least 51 UPVs, in spite of that. “I think there are pills for such OCD”. Don’t know if will they help with the logorrhea, tho.

But keep the ‘hits’ coming, “rightcoaster”.

• rightcoaster
        March 2, 2016, 9:10 pm

What’s a UPV, and what or who is Hophmi? Sorry, I am a stranger to this world and don’t yet comprehend the language or customs.

• eljay
      February 26, 2016, 6:23 pm

|| rightcoaster: I return to Mondoweiss from time to time … The site misrepresents itself, as dishonestly as anything the natterers here complain of. … I’m impressed at such a single-minded (or shall I say “groupthink”) devotion to one issue … I think there are pills for such OCD, but evidently nobody here is medicating with them. ||

Mr. Weiss and MW “groupthinkers” who advocate justice, accountability and equality in I-P suffer from OCD…says the hateful and immoral Zio-supremacist who is irresistibly compelled to “return to Mondoweiss from time to time” and post “zingers”.

Funny stuff. :-)

• kalithea
        February 26, 2016, 10:25 pm

I wouldn’t call rc’s post a zinger. I would call it condescending hasbara rubbish meant to whitewash a pariah state, Israel, committing war crimes and a crime against humanity.

• eljay
        February 26, 2016, 11:10 pm

|| kalithea: I wouldn’t call rc’s post a zinger. I would call it condescending hasbara rubbish … ||

rightcoaster and Steve “zingers” Grover: Kindred spirits.

• rightcoaster
        February 28, 2016, 11:55 pm

Annie — a reply to yours of the 26th citing a handful of non-Israel/Palestine articles…I took the time to count (approximately) the number that DO deal with Israel/Palestine/Zionism/Jews/BDS, the main obsession of the jargonists and non-thinkers here: there seem to be over 60 of those. So while you say those you cite are “just a few” — you are literally correct. They are indeed a few, and I hope I can be forgiven for seeing the forest and not your few trees.

• rightcoaster
        February 29, 2016, 12:19 am

Taking advantage of one of the few “reply” buttons available to respond to diasp0ra’s comments about the Rome Statute; there is none under his/her comment. I’m not a lawyer, and the ICC is a politicized instrument, so dealing with the words of that rats’ nest is beyond my capacity. But the gleeful, reflexive, righteous citation of it raises questions in me, although not in you.

I wonder why you and the others here are so focused on the alleged systematic inhumane treatment of Palestinian Arabs to the exclusion of all the other allege-able systematic inhumane treatments of minority groups (and in some cases of majority groups) in the neighborhood. Treatment of the Kurds in Syria, Iraq, Turkey for example. Treatments of Shia by Sunni in Syria, Yemen, and Saudia. Treatments of Copts in Egypt. Assyrian Christians in Iraq have not been treated well, most would agree. There surely are other examples….or there’d not be so much bloodshed going on right now. And you go on obsessively about the occupation of the West Bank, where there is an unresolved state of war, and not about the Turkish occupation of Cyprus, result of a pure Turkish aggression. What is it that is so fascinating to you all about Israel’s alleged misdeeds that no others matter? Many of you seem to spend so much time and effort in the Wonderful World of Weiss that you can’t have time for jobs, a love life, much of anything else … certainly not on any other issues. Well, I suppose everyone needs a hobby.

• talknic
        February 29, 2016, 1:34 am

@ rightcoaster ” I’m not a lawyer, and the ICC is a politicized instrument, so dealing with the words of that rats’ nest is beyond my capacity. But the gleeful, reflexive, righteous citation of it raises questions in me …”

What questions? You forgot to mention

“I wonder why you and the others here are so focused on the alleged systematic inhumane treatment of Palestinian Arabs to the exclusion of all the other allege-able systematic inhumane treatments of minority groups (and in some cases of majority groups) in the neighborhood. “

Oh. Some Ziowhataboutery. Why am I not surprised?

“alleged systematic inhumane treatment”?

It’s actually well document in the Knesset by the raft of discriminatory Laws that institution passes.

Furthermore Israel has been for almost 68 years acting outside of its borders in territories the Israeli Government itself claimed on May 22nd 1948 were “outside the State of Israel” … “in Palestine”,

The Jewish state has been ignoring countless UNSC resolutions, starting wars with all of its neighbours.

That’s right. The preemptor starts the war. Which is why there are no UNSC resolutions against any state for having invaded or attacked Israel because all Israel’s wars have been preemptive and in territories “outside the State of Israel” … “in Palestine”

“… Treatment of the Kurds in Syria , Iraq, Turkey for example”

Syrian Kurds, in Syria. Iraqi Kurds in Iraq. Turkish Kurds in Turkey. As distastefully as those minorities are treated, the States are operating within their own sovereignty. Israel is operating outside of its sovereign extent. Read the UN Charter re interference in matters of State within their own borders.

There are no UNSC resolutions against Israel for anything it has ever done within its own borders.

“Treatments of Shia by Sunni in Syria, Yemen, and Saudia. “

Same, sovereign states acting within their own borders

“There surely are other examples…”

None like Israel, operating outside their borders

“And you go on obsessively about the occupation of the West Bank, where there is an unresolved state of war.”

It’s been a war of colonization with Palestine since 1897, link to jewishencyclopedia.com
        That’s over a century and still going!

“… not about the Turkish occupation of Cyprus, result of a pure Turkish aggression”

OK I get what you’re trying to say. If those other states treated the minorities within their borders better, and MW published articles on all those other states, will Israel suddenly after 68 years start to adhere to the Law!

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!! YOU’RE A F*CKING GENIUS!!

Israel would suddenly adhere to the UN Charter! Suddenly withdraw from all non-Israeli territories taking all its illegal settlers! Suddenly pay reparations for 68 years of dispossession, illegal territorial acquisition, destroyed homes, farms, villages! BRILLIANT!

Say … wait a minute … Israel has had almost 68 years to do that! Instead, it has illegally acquired MORE non-Israeli territory, dispossessed MORE non-Jews, illegally settled MORE Israelis in non-Israeli territories, slaughtered MORE AND MORE non-Jews, destroyed MORE non-Jewish homes, farms, villages

• eljay
        February 29, 2016, 7:19 am

|| rightcoaster @ February 29, 2016, 12:19 am ||

Looks like your OCD meds haven’t kicked in yet.

|| … I wonder why you and the others here are so focused on the alleged systematic inhumane treatment of Palestinian Arabs to the exclusion of all the other allege-able systematic inhumane treatments of minority groups (and in some cases of majority groups) in the neighborhood. Treatment of the Kurds in Syria, Iraq, Turkey for example. Treatments of Shia by Sunni in Syria, Yemen, and Saudia. Treatments of Copts in Egypt. Assyrian Christians in Iraq have not been treated well, most would agree. There surely are other examples … ||

Do you frequent websites dedicated to the plight of the Kurds or the plight of the Shia or the plight of the Copts and berate the people there for focusing primarily on one issue to the exclusion of Israel’s past and on-going (war) crimes and human rights violations?

No, of course you don’t. If there’s one thing you Zio-supremacists are good at it’s hypocrisy.

|| … Many of you seem to spend so much time and effort in the Wonderful World of Weiss that you can’t have time for jobs, a love life, much of anything else … ||

And yet here you are – as jobless, loveless and useless as the rest of us. :-)

• amigo
        February 29, 2016, 8:43 am

“What is it that is so fascinating to you all about Israel’s alleged misdeeds that no others matter? Many of you seem to spend so much time and effort in the Wonderful World of Weiss that you can’t have time for jobs, a love life, much of anything else … certainly not on any other issues. Well, I suppose everyone needs a hobby.” rollercoaster.

yeah rc –why don,t they leave Israel alone and just keep the money coming.

February 29, 2016, 12:31 pm

“Many of you seem to spend so much time and effort in the Wonderful World of Weiss that you can’t have time for jobs, a love life, much of anything else…”

“Hophmi” , projection vomiting at the commenters here won’t do a darn thing about the birth-rate, the “demographic time-bomb” or “the silent Holocaust”.

Hows about a little strength-thru-joying, instead of all that kvetching, “Hoph”?
        “It’s nice work, if you can get it, and you can get it if you try*.” A Jewish man said that, “Hophmi” and I believe him.

(*”Loving one who loves you, and then taking those vows,” that is. Ask the local gentry, they will say “it’s elementary”! It’s an institute you can’t disparage.)

• oldgeezer
        February 29, 2016, 2:29 pm

@rightcoaster

“that you can’t have time for jobs, ”

You’re right. I’m collecting a pension and living off investments.

Just remember I like my fries crispy and work extra hard so those investments keep giving me great returns.

February 29, 2016, 2:56 pm

“You’re right. I’m collecting a pension and living off investments.”

I’m a trophy husband.

(Or maybe she said “an atrophied husband”? I better not ask.)

Oh, I see I mixed “rightcoastetr” and “Hophmi” up. I wish they would try to distinguish themselves in some way so I can tell them apart.

• oldgeezer
        February 29, 2016, 3:15 pm

@Mooser

I must be a trophy partner too. My better half says she longs for the day she can keep me in a jar on the mantel. I wasn’t sure what she meant until now.Thanks!

• amigo
        February 29, 2016, 3:56 pm

“You’re right. I’m collecting a pension and living off investments. ” old geezer

Me too except for the investments.I invested in three countries , Ireland , UK and the USA , so they all contribute to a comfortable retirement .My concern is , that rightcoaster is spending far too much time at MW when he/she should be working and paying his /her social security taxes to ensure my continued happy and productive retirement spent fighting for the oppressed and downtrodden.I am not much of a believer in heaven and all that life after death stuff , but just in case I turn out to be wrong , I will have a few good deeds to put on the table.

February 29, 2016, 4:28 pm

“heaven and all that life after death stuff , but just in case I turn out to be wrong…”

I think I know how you feel.
        While not prepared to judge whether anything in my life ‘becomes me like the leaving of it’ ,
        I have left testamentary instructions to my wife, at my obsequies, to quote MLKJr’s inspiring evocation of the old spiritual from his justly famed 1963 speech . (While the choir sings “Mooser’s in the Cold, Cold Ground”, I guess)

• oldgeezer
        February 29, 2016, 7:33 pm

@amigo

Pensions are great. It seems I have just been informed by my wise partner that my empty wine bottles do not constitute investments despite the fact I’m owed the bottle deposit on them. But yes we need these rugrats to work harder.

• kalithea
      February 26, 2016, 11:58 pm

@rc

The real reason you graced this site again with your presence is because hasbara ocd compels you and your minions to counter this story with Zionist propaganda as news of this nasty incident spreads far and wide in the U.S.

I hope this African American spreads the details of his harrowing experience at the hands of Israeli Zionists with as many of his brothers and sisters as possible. Oh, wait! He’s a writer! And he freelances with Huffpo and Ebony the largest black publication in the U.S.! Ohhh…too bad for you…and he’s already spreading the news of this racial profiling at the hands of Zionists…oh my!

link to twitter.com

link to colorlines.com

Bad, bad publicity for Israel. He’s everywhere…God bless him.

Even an army of you hasbara minions won’t be able to stop this solidarity movement of blacks for Palestine.

link to blackforpalestine.com

The movement against Zionist Apartheid is gaining steam; no wonder you Zionists are busy getting legislation pushed against freedom of expression. No matter what you do; this is unstoppable.

• rightcoaster
        February 29, 2016, 12:49 am

Kalithea, your fury is misplaced. I haven’t read the article, and my remarks are not based on it in any way. I do wonder why you revert to a knee-jerk reaction, when there are large numbers of Ethiopian Jews in Israel who, while they evidently are an economic underclass and surely suffer some racial discrimination, their plight, such as it is (how many would choose to return to Ethiopia because of it?) doesn’t attract the venom of the others here, nor of you.

Actually, my Black aunt was also strip-searched decades ago by Chicago police, and surely for far less than this guy: I looked up Odeh, and a rally for her by a Black Lives Matter guy reveals his utter stupidity, or insensitivity, or ideological motivation — you pick. The whiner deserved more than what he got, I think: Black /Lives Matter, but Jew Lives Don’t Matter; I get it, you don’t.

February 29, 2016, 11:37 am

” I haven’t read the article, and my remarks are not based on it in any way.”

So you are doing all this for Mondo, without even reading the articles? Good on’ya, “rightcoaster”!

• rightcoaster
        March 2, 2016, 9:14 pm

Mooser, misuse of English …I hadn’t read it when Kal puked in my direction and I started a response. I read bits of it while writing, then failed to clarify. Regrets.

March 2, 2016, 10:02 pm

“rightcoaster” , a “hit”, a “UPV” or a “session” are in order of increasing value, some of the criteria used by Goggle Analytics to rate a website.
        You can decide which matters more, those analytics or your words.

March 3, 2016, 2:35 am

“I hadn’t read it when Kal puked in my direction…”

Try not to be an ass, “rightcoaster”.

“Black /Lives Matter, but Jew Lives Don’t Matter” Oh Lord, how did we get so pathetic? Do you have any conception of how unutterably pathetic that is?

Whats’a matter “rightcoaster” afraid they will take your rights away and give them to somebody else?

7. Herchel
    February 26, 2016, 5:16 pm

Black lives matter and Palestinian solidarity activism – The true hallmarks of honesty, trustworthiness and integrity.

For sure we should take everything he says at face value without a shred of corroborated evidence

• Annie Robbins
      February 26, 2016, 8:27 pm

finally we agree on something!

• kalithea
        February 26, 2016, 10:27 pm

Ditto to that! lol.

• chocopie
        February 27, 2016, 12:50 am

Absolutely!

• diasp0ra
      February 27, 2016, 8:04 am

@Herchel

It’s not like you care about evidence anyway. Remember that post where you demanded proof that rape threats and sexual abuse was routine in Israeli jails, and once provided you disappeared? As usual?

Furthermore, you constantly put forward allegations and accusations and never back anything up, and when asked for sources you disappear as usual.

• Herchel
        February 27, 2016, 1:55 pm

1. It’s called censorship in the name of “moderation”
        2. Um, when exactly was that evidence I demanded produced Such that it was incumbent upon me to “reappear” and respond – as if I would be permitted to do so.

• diasp0ra
        February 27, 2016, 6:02 pm

@Herchel

Really? Are you seriously going to argue that all your links and sources wouldn’t be let through moderation?

Can you give us examples, since this appears to happen so often that you don’t bother anymore?

February 27, 2016, 6:40 pm

1. It’s called censorship…/… as if I would be permitted to do so.

No censorship, at best, is when you have a prior agreement to publish, which you do not. You are submitting material to a site, which decides not to print it. Why, does the “Weiss” part of “Mondoweiss” obligate them in some way to you?
        And as you say, the Moderators can even toy with you, if they wish. The cards are stacked against you! And it doesn’t matter what you say, you still produce “UPVs” and “sessions” and “hits” for the site.
        Your words mean squat compared to that. (Which is not to mention the excellent replies you provoke, Herchel, words that do inform, and more “hits”, etc.
        And here’s the answer “Herchel”: Blogger is free!!! Take ten minutes, and you could be rhetorically dismembering Mondoweiss to an enthusiastic and large audience. And you will be the Moderator!
        What’s stopping you? Tradition?

• Herchel
        February 28, 2016, 11:44 am

If only the facts were on your side you wouldn’t have to engage in such transparently dishonest rhetoric…

Obviously you all have the right to censor and edit reader feedback as you see fit to comport with your narrative… but you do sound a little bit silly when you defend your right to do that but then question my contention that my responses are never published.

And I will repeat number two again, because it continues to go on unaddressed… I wasn’t the one claiming that Israeli prison officials were threatening people with rape. In the absence of any of you lemmings coming forward with evidence to support this ridiculous claim, please tell me how exactly it is my “disappearance” after challenging this obviously false accusation means a thing.

If someone had actually uncovered some evidence to corroborate that pathetically untrue claim, it would be a different story. But, as we all know, no such evidence has been presented or even exists. It is your disappearance that is telling.

Talking points and code words like “zio-supremacist” only get you so far… but because you are motivated by bigotry and anti-Semitism rather than logic, we needn’t peel back too many layers of the onion to see the truth.

• eljay
        February 28, 2016, 2:02 pm

|| Herchel: … code words like “zio-supremacist” … ||

Zio-supremacist (zionist + supremacist) isn’t a code word – it’s merely a word that accurately describes hateful and immoral people like you who believe that Jews are entitled:
        – to a religion-supremacist state in as much as possible of Palestine; and
        – to do unto others acts of injustice and immorality they would not have others do unto them.

Don’t be afraid to own it.

February 28, 2016, 8:30 pm

“If only the facts were on your side…/…bla, bla, bla”

You could have opened a blog in the time it took you to type that comment, “Herchel”.

And by now, you would be moderating comments! What’s stopping you?

8. hophmi
    February 26, 2016, 7:08 pm

Other than the fact that Bailey happens to be Black, I don’t see the evidence of racial profiling in this story. According to this site, Israel gives some anti-Israel international activists in the West Bank, some of whom get involved in the political theater of Palestinian protests, a hard time. You’ve published White activists who make this claim, and now you’ve published a Black activist who’s making it. That’s not racial profiling. That’s a cynical attempt to falsey cast a non-racial conflict over land in racial terms for the purpose of selling BDS to people of color in the United States.

• Annie Robbins
      February 26, 2016, 8:15 pm

I don’t see the evidence of racial profiling in this story.

Israeli border agents racially profiled me long before accusing me of drug smuggling. Halfway through the bus ride between the Jordanian and Israeli terminals, an Israeli soldier ordered me and a Muslim man from the U.K. traveling with his wife and children off our bus the moment it entered Israel-controlled territory. We were the only two questioned out of 20 people.

so what you mean is even had bailey not been racially profiled before arriving at the Israeli terminal he would have gotten the same treatment once they figured out he was an activist anyway? if that’s the case why weren’t adam and phil profiled when they entered? both easily identified as bds activist had anyone bothered to do a minimum amount of research?

• chocopie
        February 27, 2016, 12:56 am

Yeah, Adam and Phil can waltz in and out of Palestine repeatedly. I’m glad they can, but I wish my Palestinian daughter could do that, too. Any country that asks you your grandfather’s name at the border sucks.

February 27, 2016, 11:52 am

” both easily identified as bds activist had anyone bothered to do a minimum amount of research?”

I don’t know about Phil, but a world-famous pianist is welcome anywhere, anytime.

• hophmi
        February 29, 2016, 10:51 am

“so what you mean is even had bailey not been racially profiled before arriving at the Israeli terminal he would have gotten the same treatment once they figured out he was an activist anyway?”

I don’t see any evidence here that his treatment had anything to do with his race.

” if that’s the case why weren’t adam and phil profiled when they entered?”

Were border guards on the lookout for drug dealers when Adam and Phil crossed? The Israelis don’t give everyone a hard time, and everyone they do give a hard time to is not a person of color. Look, just admit that it’s important for your propaganda to play up stories of people of color who have trouble in Israel so that you can sell BDS to people of color in the US. I get it. You don’t have to be sanctimonious about it. Racializing the conflict in the Middle East is super-important for BDS Central.

“both easily identified as bds activist had anyone bothered to do a minimum amount of research?”

So you’ve learned a valuable lesson. The Israelis don’t deport every BDS activist, and they’re not looking to deport every BDS activist. When they do deport BDS activists or give them a hard time (which they have to activists who are white and Jewish, as you’ve reported on this site) there is usually a reason. Occam’s Razor.

I wonder if Kristian Davis Bailey is planning to visit Burundi. Bailey could really raise awareness of the possible genocide that could take place in Burundi if the world doesn’t wake up. But I guess, like always, Palestine is the world’s most important issue, and there aren’t a lot of Jews in Burundi.

February 29, 2016, 12:13 pm

“Were border guards on the lookout for drug dealers when Adam and Phil crossed?”

Pssst, “Hophmi”! Wanna buy a bottle of Ibuprofen? I got Advil, generic (Je suis generic!), gel-caps, and Extras-Strength, too. Anything you want, kiddo. Just answer the magic word (I say “Vladimir”, and you say…?) and you get half off.

• talknic
      February 27, 2016, 12:54 am

@ hophmi “Other than the fact that Bailey happens to be Black, I don’t see the evidence of racial profiling in this story”

Zionism is toxic. It eats away any possibility of rational though

• eljay
        February 27, 2016, 11:22 am

|| talknic: … You’re stark raving insane. You say yourself “Other than the fact that Bailey happens to be Black” then ” I don’t see the evidence of racial profiling in this story” … ||

Funny, isn’t it? If a black person is targeted, it’s not necessarily racism; but if a Jewish person is targeted, it must be anti-Semitism.

• hophmi
        March 1, 2016, 10:25 am

So, according to talknic, every time someone Black is arrested anywhere, it’s an example of racial profiling. What was that about rationality, talknic?

• talknic
        March 1, 2016, 7:41 pm

@ hophmi March 1, 2016, 10:25 am

“So, according to talknic, every time someone Black is arrested anywhere, it’s an example of racial profiling”

Quote me instead of trying to build pathetic lame little strawmen out of blatantly false accusations.

Why is it hophmi et al so willingly break the basic tenets of Judaism in defense of the ‘Jewish’ state’s illegal actions in non-Israeli territories?

“What was that about rationality, talknic?”

What is it that drives you to make false accusations hophmi? Can’t be rationality or morality. Money maybe?

Maybe you’re just another pathetic, socially inept, serial abuser riding on and hiding under the coat tails of the equally vile Zionist Federation’s plan to colonize Palestine, while getting your jollies from the safety of the internet, knowing no one is able to deliver your well deserved comeuppance for being a lying jerk.

March 1, 2016, 8:05 pm

“Maybe you’re just another…”

That can’t be! The “Hophmi” I know of is a paragon of outreach:

“I am on the board of a new organization called the Jewish-Muslim Volunteer Alliance, which does joint Jewish-Muslim volunteering and holds an annual Iftar dinner each year, and I also sit on the board of an institute within the American Jewish Committee that does Muslim-Jewish outreach, and has done work with Imam Khalid Latif of NYU, – See more at: link to mondoweiss.net

9. kalithea
    February 26, 2016, 10:51 pm

Not only was he racially profiled but the last thing Israeli Zionists want is for the growing connection between Black Lives Matter and the Palestinian cause for justice to strengthen and the latter become a cause that a majority of blacks in the U.S. will sympathize with and embrace like their own as brothers and sisters united against injustice and apartheid anywhere.

The more blacks embrace the Palestinian cause the more they will scrutinize their politicians for Zionist influence so that it is erased as an obstacle against justice once and for all from the political process.

This is the real fear that motivated the racist profiling and the illegal arrest of this writer.

• hophmi
      March 1, 2016, 10:27 am

Actually, I think many in BLM are resentful of people like Bailey who have attempted to hijack their movement by mixing it up with anti-Israel activism. Bailey doesn’t represent BLM. He represents a minority within BLM.

• John O
        March 1, 2016, 11:56 am

And your evidence for this is…?

March 1, 2016, 12:21 pm

Actually, I think many in BLM are resentful of people like Bailey who have attempted to hijack their movement by mixing it up with anti-Israel activism.”

Sure, “Hophmi”, all the BLM folks call you “Grandmaster Outreach” and confide to you their most intimate thoughts. Especially about how they dislike Palestinians

” Bailey doesn’t represent BLM. He represents a minority within BLM”

Now, don’t get mad at “Hophmi” for this. It’s only natural of him to see it that way. As Jews, we have always been such a large majority everywhere, we tend to look down on (ick, boo!) minorities. Who needs ’em? We just have never, ever understood what it is to be one.

• Bumblebye
        March 1, 2016, 2:18 pm

I think you’re mistaken hophmi. I’ve been “exploring” racial justice groups via fb for a few months now. I’ll visit a page, see shared posts and visit those pages, and so on. Quite a number of them have occasionally posted (what most of us here would consider) educational pieces on the Palestinian situation. Few comments beneath are negative. When they are, the commenter is one of the following:
        a) a visiting Jewish zionist
        b) a (predominately) white evangelical
        c) a young Jew on a learning curve – and they are learning from blm

• amigo
        March 1, 2016, 2:37 pm

“So, according to talknic, every time someone Black is arrested anywhere, it’s an example of racial profiling.” hophead

Sort of like every time a Jew is attacked anywhere , all Jews are attacked.

Actually , if you had read the article , you would not have made such a moronic comment and would have avoided making a jackass of yourself.

Didn,t you know , that only Yonah is allowed the privilege of commenting on articles he has not read.One of you intellectually lazy zios is enough to be dealing with.

• hophmi
        March 2, 2016, 9:43 am

“Sort of like every time a Jew is attacked anywhere , all Jews are attacked.” Said no one ever.

10. kalithea
    February 27, 2016, 12:50 am

It’s ironic that Black Lives Matter found solidarity with the Palestinian cause for justice when all along Israel has been demonstrating solidarity with American police officers training them in Israel. No wonder it’s starting to look more and more like a police state with all that Zionist influence on the force.

link to muzzlewatch.com

Hillary’s such a hypocrite. Black people need to know how Zionism is affecting their own rights. Hillary is Zionism’s preferred candidate for the Presidency. It’s time to spread the word in the black community.

Hillary said of blacks: We have to bring them to heel. Zionists have been trying to bring Palestinians to heel for decades but not just with rubber bullets, skunk water, and tear gas canisters to the head, but by systematically razing heavily populated areas with U.S. made bombs.

How can Hillary be a friend of BlackLivesMatter when her master is Zionism; a supremacist ideology inflicting Apartheid on Palestinians?

11. Ossinev
    February 27, 2016, 7:01 am

@rightcoaster
    “I think marriages or at least cohabitations are not illegal between Arabs and Jews (straight or queer, by the way”

You seem to be hesitating/stumbling a bit through this one. As you appear to claim to be a devotee of the true facts can you describe precisely the law in Israel with regard to interfaith marriages. Again and on the same theme can you define exactly what you mean by”queer”.

Looking forward to your response.

Would hate to see you accused of being a glib tosser.

12. Herchel
    February 27, 2016, 1:57 pm

Black lives matter and Palestinian rights… What a perfect marriage. Two fraudulent movements predicated on myths, lies and distortions.

• talknic
      February 27, 2016, 6:27 pm

Hey Herchel … You forgot to show any evidence of the alleged myths, lies and distortions.

Remember, an accusation, no matter how often repeated, is not evidence

• diasp0ra
      February 27, 2016, 6:44 pm

Birds of a feather flock together. Movements for liberation, as well as Apartheid regimes.

You know what I’m talking about ;)

• Marnie
      February 28, 2016, 11:57 am

So you’re saying Black lives do not matter and Palestinians should have no rights.

Thanks for taking of your mask.

February 28, 2016, 8:39 pm

“Thanks for taking of your mask.”

Yup, and that was a “comment”, too, not a response. “Herchel” felt, (apropos of what, I do not know,) that it needed saying without any provocation. He felt very strongly that we needed to know that he felt that way.

So what does a guy do after he writes a comment like that?

Does dust off his hands, stand up from the keyboard and said: “That one’s a win-win, if I ever saw one, for Zionism and my own credibility!”, and feel he has done a day’s work? Does he call his wife or friends up and say “Look at the powerful pro-Israel statement I got published on Mondo!”

I sure as hell can’t figure it out.