- Florida Congresswoman sides with Israeli police over her own brutalized … 15
- Jewish activists light children’s dolls on fire at Yad Vashem … 10
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Update) 73
- Urgent call from Gaza civil society: Act now! 8
- Gaza war spreads as rockets are launched into Israel from … 7
- Video: While the world watches Gaza, protests rage across the … 3
- Israel viciously bombs Gaza, that’s the only truth 16
- Gaza under attack again 86
- Dreaming in Gaza 0
- Relentless bombing on Gaza continues: Israel kills media worker, 9 … 0
- Obama raises big bucks at home of man who said … 0
- Terrifying tweets of pre-Army Israeli teens 0
- Where was God in the Warsaw Ghetto? Or in Gaza? 0
- Will the immolation murder of Mohammed Abu Khdeir be the … 0
- Palestinians are ‘trapped’ in Gaza in ‘lopsided conflict’, Brian Williams … 0
- Israeli leaders incite hatred against Palestinians and are shocked when … 0
- Relentless bombing on Gaza continues: Israel kills media worker, 9 … 302
- Terrifying tweets of pre-Army Israeli teens 189
- Child’s beating in Jerusalem brings unprecedented coverage of Palestinian experience … 156
- ‘Operation Protective Edge’ begins: Gaza rocked by Israeli airstrikes as … 142
- Please, pray for Palestine 141
- Terror in Gaza: 57 seconds after ‘warning,’ Israel destroys a … 139
- ‘Survival and well-being of the Jewish state’ is a national … 129
- Israel’s message to the Palestinians: Submit, leave or die 128
- RT @allissonCD: Big anti-Arab rally planned for tomorrow in #Jerusalem I wish it weren't so...it's literally not against Hamas, but "Arabs.", 2 hours ago
- RT @davidsheen: #antifa972 anti-fascists of all ethnic groups are needed to oppose "Death to Arabs" march & prevent lynches tomorrow https://t.co/aeNJwPaE0Q, 2 hours ago
- RT @ubuntifada: VIDEO: Medics treat shebab as IDF unloads tear gas near Azza Camp in #Bethlehem on 9th night of clashes. http://t.co/T1tkp288wU @Mondoweiss, 2 hours ago
- Florida Congresswoman @USRepKCastor sides w/ Israeli police ovr brutalized teenage constituent http://t.co/25I6bC0m29 http://t.co/jPhQUAKNu3, 6 hours ago
- Jewish activists light children's dolls on fire at Yad Vashem to protest Gaza attack http://t.co/qKkH64I0vP http://t.co/1vURFFwShY, 7 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Relentless bombing on Gaza continues: Israel kills media worker, 9 people watching World Cup on beach (193)
- Sumud: I never knew that Walid, I’m not surprised though. I’ll have to look up Tarazi on YT I...
- Sumud: How many diehard supporters of this monstrosity are still clapping their bloodstained hands like there’s no...
- MahaneYehude1: @Talkback: A Palestinian who criticizes the ongoing occupation of “Eretz Israel” and its crimes...
- Terrifying tweets of pre-Army Israeli teens (122)
- Annie Robbins: i said nothing about you not being pro palestinian. i knew one of our helpful commenters would...
- bigNavySeal: Thanks for the explanation Tree! In that case… I just can’t believe these posts are being...
- bigNavySeal: funny how you’re immediately assuming that I’m not pro-palestian without providing me with...
- Video: Diane Sawyer misrepresents photo of Gazans in aftermath of Israeli bombing as Israeli victims of Palestinian missiles (108)
- Why is Mohammed Abu Khdeir’s death different from all other Palestinian deaths? (30)
- Relentless bombing on Gaza continues: Israel kills media worker, 9 people watching World Cup on beach (193)
Author Archives: Adam Horowitz
Video: Diane Sawyer misrepresents photo of Gazans in aftermath of Israeli bombing as Israeli victims of Palestinian missiles (Updated)
Major media fail: Diane Sawyer shows two photos of Palestinians in the aftermath of Israeli bombing of Gaza but says the first is a photo of Israelis who have been bombed.
Please help us continue to cover breaking news from Israel/Palestine, and as a thank you get Ali Abunimah’s new book
Mondo is helping to change the conversation about Israel and Palestine, but we need help to do so. Please contribute; and for all those who give $30 or more, a special offer: Ali Abunimah’s new book, The Battle for Justice in Palestine.
A video shot July 5, 2014 by Ronnie Barkan in Jerusalem.
Family of Tarek Abu Khdeir calls for his immediate release after brutal beating and arbitrary arrest
Tarek Abu Khdeir’s family sends an update on his case and his condition. Following his highly publicized assault by Israeli police, Tarek, the Israeli authorities denied medical treatment for 5 hours before he was transferred to Hadassa Hospital despite needing critical medical attention for severe injuries to his head and face. He was then taken directly to court and is currently in detention at the notorious Russian Compound (al-Maskobiya), known for its harsh interrogations. He has not yet been formally charged, though prosecutors claim he was throwing stones despite being unable to provide any evidence to the court. When asked by the court under what basis Tarek was being held, prosecutors said they were still “collecting evidence.” His hearing is scheduled for Sunday.
The Algerian national soccer team announces they will donate their World Cup prize money to the people in Gaza: “They need it more than us”
The bodies of three missing Israeli teens – Gil-Ad Shaer,16, Naftali Fraenkel, 16, and Eyal Yifrah, 19 – were found today in a West Bank field near the village of Halhul, not far from where they went missing on June 12. The Israeli government is meeting in an emergency cabinet session tonight to discuss an official response. Even though initial reports indicate the killing was not an official operation ordered by Hamas leadership, Israeli politicians have already increased calls to use the teens death as justification for “war” on the Palestinian political party.
Last week we published “Growing Jewish support for boycott and the changing landscape of the BDS debate” by Paul Duffill and Gabriella Skoff and it has generated quite a discussion. Below are three critical responses that were sent to us.
Human rights orgs condemn collective punishment of Palestinians in response to disappearance of three Israeli settlers
The recent wave of arrests, attacks, killings and total closure of large parts of the West Bank following the disappearance of three Israeli settlers is a clear form of collective punishment against the Palestinian people. As the Occupying Power, Israel is obligated to carry out its search for the missing settlers in line with its obligations under international humanitarian law (IHL) and international human rights law (IHRL). Although some of the measures carried out by the Israeli forces in large parts of the West Bank may have a link to the investigation into the disappearances, the methods employed are indiscriminate in their nature and are undermining the fundamental rights of the persons concerned.
Famed American author, historian and civil rights activist Maya Angelou passed away today at age 86. Angelou is best known for her 1969 memoir of growing up in the Jim Crow south, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. The above video was recorded in 2006, on the third anniversary of Rachel Corrie’s death.
Pope Francis visits the Separation Wall in Bethlehem. Jamil Dakwar says the Pope provided “iconic images worth 1000s of advisory opinions.”
Following two months of campaigning at DePaul University, student coalition DePaul Divest has declared victory in a campaign to divest from corporations that profit off of human rights violations perpetrated against Palestinians via the illegal Israeli occupation of Palestine.
‘It’s time to build the future of the American Jewish community’: Open Hillel announces first national conference
Open Hillel announced today that it will be holding a national conference this fall. The conference will take place from October 11-13 at Harvard University. The conference will bring in speakers spanning the spectrum of political views on Israel-Palestine. Organizers plan to particularly focus on including those — such as Judith Butler, David Harris-Gershon, and Rashid Khalidi — who have recently been banned from speaking at Jewish institutions.
Jeff Stein has followed up on his Newsweek report from Tuesday on how Israel spies on the U.S. more than any other ally. Today he writes the reason this is not more widely known is because it is hushed up by the Israel lobby.
Watch as authors China Miéville, Gillian Slovo, Tom Warner and Omar el Khairy visited Jerusalem to learn about the Israeli occupation as part of the 2013 Palestine Festival of Literature.
The U.S.-led peace process is in tatters following Israel’s suspension of talks. While it’s not yet clear the talks will permanently break down, the trend is in that direction. Rather than view these events as a setback for a peaceful resolution in Israel/Palestine, there are several reasons why this turn of events should be understood as a positive step forward.
A video by Rap News about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and its relationship to settler colonialism, among other things.
A video shot by the International Solidarity Movement today in Hebron shows Israeli soldiers detaining Rami Rajabi, a six-year-old child, as he walked to school. After 20 minutes of pressure from locals and activists the child was released, but there are currently at least 230 Palestinian children in Israeli detention.
China Miéville: It’s become a cliche to talk about Palestine as a dystopia, but when you see Hebron you know where the cliche is coming from
The 2013 Palestine Festival of Literature took place across historical Palestine, with events in Jerusalem, Gaza, Nablus, Ramallah and Haifa. In this video, one group of the festival’s international participants are shown around al Khalil / Hebron, where Israel’s apartheid system is at its most explicit.
The American Studies Association says the onslaught of attacks it has faced since voting to endorse an academic boycott of Israel has only accomplished in strengthening the group. They report “over the past several months, the ASA has welcomed more than 700 new members. The ASA has also collected more membership revenue in the past three months than in any other three-month period over the past quarter-century.”
New York mayor Bill de Blasio met with Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman and gave him a “Big Apple” memento.
Israeli troops fired on Palestinian protests today outside Ofer prison in the West Bank with live ammunition. At least 12 protesters were sent to the hospital, some with serious injuries. Israel recently cancelled an agreed upon prisoner release as part of the US-led peace process.
Always looking for your Mondoweiss fix? Follow us on Facebook, Twitter & our new and improved newsletter
Sign up for the new and improved Mondoweiss newsletter and follow Mondoweiss on Facebook and Twitter.
Last night in Decatur, GA about 30 people gathered in a church basement to hear Josh Ruebner discuss his new book Shattered Hopes: Obama’s Failure to Broker Israeli-Palestinian Peace. The evening was a small window into the awareness spreading across this county of the U.S. role in Israel/Palestine, and the movement growing in its wake.
The American Muslims for Palestine (AMP), a national education and advocacy group, is using the beloved Cherry Blossom Festival to attract attention to its message: US aid to Israel has got to stop.
Randi Zuckerberg, sister of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, will be helping AIPAC promote its new “Technology Division” at a New York event March 31st hosted with the New York Observer.