- ‘Children killed in their sleep’: Israeli artillery fire hits UN … 89
- The threat of sanctions worked against Israel in 1956 — … 30
- Remnick gets the timeline wrong 16
- ‘Israel today, Israel tomorrow, Israel forever,’ Rep. Hakeem Jeffries says … 41
- Gaza protests across West Bank are suppressed by skunk water, … 3
- Video: Mark Regev, deciphered 30
- More voices describe Gaza slaughter as a ‘genocide’ 25
- Over a hundred people join Norman Finkelstein for civil disobedience … 5
- Survivors of massacre in Khuza’a say Israeli forces used Palestinians … 0
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 0
- Pro-Israel Facebook page is titled, ‘Death to Dianna Buttu’ 0
- Claim that Hamas killed 3 teens is turning out to … 0
- As in Vietnam and South Africa, Gazan masses are willing … 0
- The killing fields 0
- Video: Protesters set Israeli checkpoint aflame following funeral in Beit … 0
- Destruction of Gaza’s children is something ‘every one of us … 0
- Video: If you voted for Hamas, Israel has a right … 258
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year … 245
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 241
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 237
- Kerry is off the Israel bandwagon 161
- Hamas mimics Hezbollah tactics, and no one will have stability … 152
- Israeli embassy puts Mona Lisa in a hijab — ‘Israel … 151
- Claim that Hamas killed 3 teens is turning out to … 146
- RT @JulieCouz: Gaza toll (MoH): 1,364 dead (315 children and 166 women). Wounded: 6,785 (2,307 children & 1,529 women, 2 hours ago
- RT @Jonathan_K_Cook: Depressing reality: Israel's killing in Gaza about to surpass the 1,400 killed in Op Cast Lead in 2009. And no end in sight., 2 hours ago
- RT @RobinDGKelley: Powerful essay by David Lloyd, Slaughter is not self-defense: The assault on Gaza and the corruption of language http://t.co/E90EvxKFXr, 10 hours ago
- RT @BenEhrenreich: Americans, in case you were still wondering what 1361 dead Gazans have to do with you: http://t.co/fnV17AgkQj, 11 hours ago
- RT @RobinDGKelley: My response to @cvaldary ignorant "letter" was written 2 years before http://t.co/rDcJbI7o7B backed by AIPAC & CUFI http://t.co/U9FINpCao4, 11 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Video: If you voted for Hamas, Israel has a right to kill you, says president of NY Board of Rabbis (245)
- Shingo: But I do admit, “complicity” must be an awful thing, it being such a suggestive word. And then here are the...
- Mooser: “It is indeed pathetic that such an important American rabbi only sees Judaism as a tribal religion...
- Mooser: Notice, Shingo, that a new type of culpability has emerged for the Palestinians. It’s called...
- ‘Children killed in their sleep’: Israeli artillery fire hits UN school, killing at least 20 (53)
- just: “A Norwegian doctor who has just returned from Gaza Strip narrated in a press conference in Brussels...
- AlGhorear: It gets worse. U.S. resupplies Israel with munitions as Gaza offensive rages
- Blownaway: Don’t worry the US is doing something. They are re supplying Israel with more ammo so they can...
- The threat of sanctions worked against Israel in 1956 — and it can work again (10)
- ‘Israel today, Israel tomorrow, Israel forever,’ Rep. Hakeem Jeffries says at NY rally (31)
- just: gives a whole ‘nother meaning to iron dome, too. (no offense to the beautiful and follicly challenged...
- Slaughter is not self-defense: The assault on Gaza and the corruption of language (31)
- Sycamores: Joe Carton tweets Israeli soldier leaks accounts of revenge attacks against civilians in #Gaza link to...
- Video: If you voted for Hamas, Israel has a right to kill you, says president of NY Board of Rabbis (245)
Author Archives: Philip Weiss
“Israel today, Israel tomorrow, Israel forever,” Brooklyn congressman Hakeem Jeffries said at rally for Israel, echoing George Wallace on segregation, while US Rep Grace Meng of Queens said Israel does more to protect civilians than any other country. Really? NYC Comptroller Scott Stringer said Israel’s survival is at risk more than ever and said “we discovered” tunnels, merging Israel and the US, to the largely religious audience
As the Israeli slaughter in Gaza continues into its fourth week, many international voices have used the word “genocide” to describe it. Genocide entails the intent to destroy a people in whole or part and acts of genocide, “killing members of the group, causing serious bodily or mental harm, or inflicting conditions of life calculated to bring about the physical destruction, in whole or part, of the people you’re trying to destroy”
Fundraising memo advises Michelle Nunn, Dem candidate for Senate in GA, to say the right thing on Israel to raise $250,000. Matt Yglesias says everyone knows Jewish money is essential in politics, but journalists wont say so because it’s an “anti-Semitic trope.”
There was a pro-Israel rally of 10,000 people in New York yesterday, a half block from the United Nations, and Rabbi David-Seth Kirshner, who is an executive of the NY Board of Rabbis, suggested that Palestinians who voted for Hamas are combatants who deserve to be targeted by Israel. The crowd cheered. Kirshner went on to say that the Israeli army is “the most moral army in the history of civilization.” He ended his remarks with the word, Amen.
Noura Erakat on MSNBC, James Zogby and Mouin Rabbani on CNN, Ayman Mohyeldin on NBC — the Israel lobby is having to contend with an alternative view of the conflict in the mainstream. Here comes the cavalry: Joe Klein citing the Israeli peace camp to explain that the Gaza operation is precise and we can’t trust US reporting!
Mohamed Abu Nie is a 15-year-old American boy who was arrested July 3 in occupied East Jerusalem during a Palestinian protest and been detained since. The State Department says it is “gravely concerned” about his case and suggests his family believes he has been mistreated.
Israeli embassy in Ireland has removed Islamophobic images from its twitter feed. “Israel Now, Paris Next” and “Israel is the last frontier of the free world” were messages accompanying images of the Mona Lisa and Michelangelo as Muslim terrorists.
The latest headlines say that President Obama has lost his patience with Israel over the wanton killings of civilians in Gaza. Media is reporting on an “angry call” he made to Israeli prime minister Netanyahu yesterday. But when Obama had a real opportunity to rein in Israeli impunity, he failed to take it. Nine months after Israel’s Operation Cast Lead decimated Gaza in 2009, the Goldstone Report accused Israel and Palestinian authorities of war crimes. The Obama administration did everything it could to kill the report.
Was it the poof moment? The apartheid comment? The helluva pinpoint operation moment? Whether or not he had an epiphany on Israel, John Kerry is distancing himself from its demands in his ceasefire talks, leading some to accuse him of a “betrayal.”
Jon Snow of Channel 4 demonstrates what it means to bear witness to atrocities in Gaza. Our governments are not interested. People must take action, and “that in the end is the greatest hope that the people in Gaza have.” Will he endorse BDS?
An advocate for Israel has started a Facebook page on July 25 called “Death to Dianna Buttu,” aimed at the Palestinian lawyer and advocate Diana Buttu
A rogue faction of Hamas killed three Israeli teens on the West Bank and Israel knew this weeks ago, Israeli official Micky Rosenfeld told BBC’s Jon Donnison, but the truth didn’t stop Israel from blaming Hamas and launching a massive onslaught, killing 900 Palestinians.
Ayman Mohyeldin of NBC publishes searing images from Shuja’iyeh, scene of an Israeli massacre of Palestinians, as a ceasefire allows residents to collect the many dead. He says 81 bodies have been recovered in a few hours, bringing total number of Gaza dead to over 1000.
Anything but supporting BDS is mere words, says Ronnie Kasrils, in stating that the strategy of Hamas in Gaza recalls Vietnamese and South African resistance to oppression
Michael Oren says on CNN that Hamas’s strategy is to drag Israel into Gaza and “get Israel to kill large numbers of civilians” — and then the networks show it for headlines. “Obscene,” Karl Penhaul of CNN says of the charge.
Sean Hannity hectored Yousef Munayyer of the Palestine Center on Fox News Thursday night, badgering him to say whether Hamas is a terrorist organization, Yes or No, and not allowing Munayyer to answer otherwise. He said Munayyer has a “thick head.” Munayyer handled the abuse with dignity.
Raising money for Israelis being bombed in hospitals and schools, NY synagogue has not one breath for Palestinian dead
Greenburgh Hebrew Center in NY shows contempt for the Israeli victims in Gaza, in a fundraising appeal that describes Palestinians bombing hospitals and schools. The attitude is shared by Israelis who have no compassion at all for 155 Palestinian children killed (as Gideon Levy says in Haaretz).
Joan Rivers went off on the media for its coverage of the Gaza onslaught. She said the media are “insane” and BBC and CNN should be “ashamed” of their coverage.
Dr. Kristol’s curriculum: US ‘special responsibilities’ include ‘ancient longings’ of Jewish nationalists
“The Case for Nationalism” is neocon William Kristol’s course in Jerusalem in December, $3000 a head: US nationalism has special responsiblities, evidently including US might to support the “ancient longings” of Jewish nationalists for a homeland in the Middle East
Israel’s actions ‘unjustified’ in eyes of women, non-whites, Dems, indy’s, and those under 50 — Gallup
The latest Gallup poll shows that by two to one, those under 30 and non-whites find Israel’s actions in Gaza unjustified. Women, Democrats, and Independents also overwhelmingly disapprove the actions. Though American support for Israel remains strong, Gallup says
The US media shift against Israel continues: NBC features the onslaught on a UN school and dispenses with the Israeli claims Hamas did it, CNN lets the Israeli ambassador hang himself in a rant; and Eugene Robinson of Washington Post says Israel is wrong by any moral standard
Some liberal Zionists see the slaughter in Gaza and condemn it (Israel’s image is destroyed, MJ Rosenberg says) while others have wrung their hands and talked about deaths on both sides, while supporting Israel. A conversation about Zionism’s errors is beginning inside the Jewish community.
Bernard Avishai has been critical of Israel since the days of Golda Meir, he writes, in objecting to Mondoweiss.net’s characterization of him as part of a mainstream media that is “finally” coming to criticize Israel.
Gaza is a massacre, and if you can’t say so you’re blind or corrupted. But the US supports Israel while covering itself by saying the civilian deaths are “heartbreaking.” “How can any person with a shred of decency support what Israel is doing in Gaza?” John Mearsheimer asks.
Max Steinberg was an American Jew who died fighting for Israel in Gaza. Allison Benedikt at Slate says he was indoctrinated by Birthright, the program that introduces young American Jews to Israel, and Birthright is in part to blame for his death