- Battle over Maryland’s anti-boycott Israel bill heats up 3
- Conservatives for Palestine 40
- Robert Caro, Nakba-denier 44
- On John Judis’s ‘Genesis,’ and its critics 14
- 2013 was record year in new settlement construction, and 2014 … 10
- ‘Daily Beast’ labels Abbas ‘stubborn’ for refusing to recognize Israel … 133
- Thousands denied water in Jerusalem as California Gov signs energy … 53
- A model factory for a colonialism in trouble: the SodaStream … 52
- New Israeli legislation favoring Christians seeks to divide Palestinian community 0
- Judith Butler, Rashid Khalidi and over 150 other scholars condemn … 0
- Mainstream press embraces Netanyahu’s speech as supporting Kerry initiative 0
- Florida Jewish leader quits a Hillel board to protest bar … 0
- Notes from the cells 0
- Vassar faculty say president’s statement against boycott sidesteps US responsibility … 0
- Two Gazans killed by a missile strike, and hundreds mourn 0
- Anti-Defamation League exploits fear of Muslims to undermine anti-gay bill 0
- AIPAC reaches out to Christians with morphing Star of David 149
- ‘Daily Beast’ labels Abbas ‘stubborn’ for refusing to recognize Israel … 132
- Anti-anti-semitism: How did a movement against bigotry lend itself to … 119
- ‘Netanyahu is a Nazi’: Scenes from an Orthodox anti-military draft … 113
- ‘NYT’ dismisses Wieseltier attack on Judis as tempest-in-a-teapot 99
- Obama warns Israel about delegitimization, and Oren suggests annexation 93
- Pelosi calls Israel’s creation ‘the most spectacular political achievement of … 91
- Poll: If two-states collapse, Americans overwhelmingly favor ‘democracy’ 89
- Battle over Maryland’s anti-boycott Israel bill heats up http://t.co/LEcPTytRdk, 9 hours ago
- Conservatives for Palestine http://t.co/5yUMJSwVh4, 9 hours ago
- On John Judis’s ‘Genesis,’ and its critics http://t.co/yMIYGBUGZc, 11 hours ago
- Robert Caro, Nakba-denier http://t.co/8hsI5vhGAk, 11 hours ago
- The Latest from Mondoweiss for 03/09/2014 - http://t.co/Q4KHvVnyuQ, 16 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- ‘Daily Beast’ labels Abbas ‘stubborn’ for refusing to recognize Israel as Jewish state (133)
- Robert Caro, Nakba-denier (44)
- tree: Israel didn’t bomb Cairo. This is totally false. Not only did the IAF ( Israeli Air Force) bomb Cairo in July...
- Ellen: Annie, we cannot expect it to do any good for the Nakba deniers who have created a nether reality to get...
- Hostage: If your assertion is to have any weight one . . . would have to argue that *after* the Arab governments...
- Conservatives for Palestine (40)
- gamal: As I am not given to rational well thought out posts let me Start by saying that what links you, Krauss and...
- American: Krauss says: March 9, 2014 at 6:22 pm Phil, since when did a bunch of Holocaust deniers or people...
- LeaNder: Since Jeffrey Blankfort is mentioned in Phil’s post, I hope he won’t still be banned from commenting on...
- House delivers for AIPAC, 410-1, passing Israel as ‘strategic partner’ bill (21)
- Pamela Olson: “Israel has… never been as strong as it is now. Think of Israel’s economic dynamism, its...
- Battle over Maryland’s anti-boycott Israel bill heats up (3)
- Pamela Olson: Speaking of suppression of free speech and thought — exciting news from Florida. Prominent Rabbi...
Author Archives: Philip Weiss
“If you have anything nice to say about Palestinians, don’t say it here.” — a colleague warned Air Force Lt. Col. Karen Kwiatkowski when she shared an office with neoconservatives plotting the Iraq War at the Pentagon in 2002
Robert Caro celebrates Israelis as underdogs in the war of independence, failing to note that 750,000 Palestinians were expelled from the nascent state. So don’t expect him to treat the difference between JFK and LBJ on Israel with any insight.
Recognizing Israel as a Jewish state was never part of two-state negotiations before the last year or so. Israel has insisted on it as a way of forestalling any partition. The Palestinians reject the demand; 20 percent of Israel is non-Jewish. But the Daily Beast calls them “stubborn” for dong so.
John Judis says that the Israel lobby compelled Truman to decide on partition in Palestine. Joseph Dorman in the New York Times says that the incompatibility of Arabs and Jews produced the measure. An important argument, and one the Times handles fairly for once.
Vassar faculty say president’s statement against boycott sidesteps US responsibility to speak out against ‘gross injustice’
Vassar faculty issue a strongly moral statement in favor of the instrument of boycott, pushing back against the college president and faculty dean’s letter strongly rejecting boycott of Israel as an infringement on academic freedom.
Conservative donors maintain the hegemony of the rightwing Israel lobby, Bruce Warshal explains in the Florida Sun Sentinel. Organizations are afraid of losing conservative donors if they accept liberal Zionist donations!
The conventional wisdom has solidified on Netanyahu’s speech at AIPAC yesterday. He’s a man of peace. The New York Times and Politico and Wolf Blitzer all reflect this, though there’s been no substantive shift.
Benjamin Netanyahu couldn’t stop talking about the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement at AIPAC today. He has elevated the boycott movement to a new level of importance, and compelled US media to discuss its goals and methods, which he sought to characterize as anti-Semitic.
Steve Walt, Paul Pillar, Michael Scheuer, and Geoffrey Wawro are among those addressing a national summit on the Israel lobby, Friday in D.C.
Obama’s relationship with Netanyahu has been famously strained, but when Politico compiled its list of “awkward allies” of the U.S., Equatorial Guinea made the list but Israel did not.
“You’re like family coming home,” Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi tells Prime Minister Netanyahu at the Capitol. And she says the establishment of Israel was “the most spectacular political achievement of the 20th century,”
Obama says that the U.S. will have limited ability to protect Israel from the international “fallout” of continued occupation. We have already lost Europe’s support, he warns Jeffrey Goldberg.
Shibley Telhami reports a poll of 1000 Americans showing that by two-to-one they are for one democratic state in Israel and Palestine if the two state solution collapses. But Telhami says that politicians will be paralyzed, unable to reflect these attitudes.
Scarlett Johansson gets her Oscar at AIPAC: the actress’s image is used, to applause, to promote Israeli brain-imaging company at the Israel lobby group’s annual conference
BDS is ruled out of NYT debate on boycott, for it “attacks Israel itself.” Two Zionists participate, including Daniel Gordis who describes Israeli colonization of East Jerusalem as “urban sprawl.”
As young American Jews become more disaffected from Israel, Penn Hillel is reaching out to non-Jewish student leaders to take a free trip over there, “instilling an intellectual connection,” so they will come home and influence US policy
Progressive California governor Jerry Brown is to sign a deal with Israeli PM Netanyahu in the Silicon Valley Wednesday. Just as progressive NY Mayor Bill de Blasio is pushing ahead with his high-tech deal with Israel for a new campus. The Israel lobby is entrenched in Democratic politics.
Check out the graphics and messages of the 2014 AIPAC policy conference. The pro-Israel lobbying group is reaching out to Christians and if it is alienating liberal Democrats, well, so be it.
John Judis says that AIPAC has been damaged by dual loyalty concerns that have never gone away; it is representing a foreign government, and not American Jews, many of whom are liberal
It’s time for the media to discuss what Zionism means, but though the words anti-Zionist appear in a piece on the Judis-Wieseltier flap in the New York Times, the Times fails to discuss the actual ideology and policy at stake
How thinskinned is AIPAC that it has to blacklist Jim Lobe, the venerable Washington bureau chief for the international news agency Inter Press? He has been denied credentials to the annual policy conference
NYT’s Jerusalem bureau chief: ‘I come knowledgeable about the Jewish American or Jewish Israeli side of this beat’
Jodi Rudoren tells Hadassah magazine that she said Gazans were ‘ho-hum’ about Israeli attacks. Actually she said that Gazans who had just lost family members to attacks were “a bit ho-hum.”
The excellent Rashid Khalidi spoke at a UN high school in 2011. But Ramaz School’s principal has said that Khalidi is too advanced for Jewish students to be able to hear him without being overwhelmed
Thanking Wieseltier, Shavit wants to save young American Jews who’ve been ‘exposed to anti-Israel propaganda’
Ari Shavit says Leon Wieseltier was one of four American “menschen” in the media who helped his Zionist book, which is aimed at getting young American Jews to believe in Israel and disbelieve the anti-Israel propaganda
Treasury Secretary Jack Lew will be there. Secretary of State John Kerry. And 14,000 delegates and a lot of Congresspeople. But AIPAC doesn’t want Mondoweiss.net covering its policy conference. We got shot down for credentials