- Statement: Legal experts and human rights defenders demand international community … 10
- Photos: Across the U.S., thousands continue to march in solidarity … 2
- ‘Lone soldiers’ and young ideologues from around the world contribute … 12
- Video: Celebrities, artists and activists call for Palestinian freedom in … 10
- New York Times silences Israel’s Palestinian citizens on Gaza war 4
- Israeli embassy puts Mona Lisa in a hijab — ‘Israel … 76
- 9 things the American media isn’t telling you about Israel/Palestine 0
- Video: Frantic scenes during Qalandia demonstration as wounded are rushed … 0
- Horrifying details continue to emerge of massacre in Khuza’a 0
- 10,000 march on Qalandia in solidarity with Gaza 0
- Hamas mimics Hezbollah tactics, and no one will have stability … 0
- How Israel militarized social media 0
- Jews Say: End the War on Gaza — No Aid to … 0
- U.S. casts lonely vote against establishing war crimes inquiry in … 0
- In photos: Over 1,000 New Yorkers protest Israel’s attack on … 0
- NY Times reports source of UNRWA school attack is unclear … 0
- Massacre in Gaza: At least 60 killed in Shuja’iyeh, over … 363
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year … 245
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 240
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 237
- Hamas mimics Hezbollah tactics, and no one will have stability … 152
- Kerry is off the Israel bandwagon 149
- Claim that Hamas killed 3 teens is turning out to … 146
- Israel is in a pickle 138
- RT @ThisIsGaZa: I always wanted to write for @intifada. I never thought it will be my Brother's death I write about. http://t.co/RzXAbTrjca #gazaunderattack, 37 mins ago
- RT @alexbkane: Thanks @Colorlines' @jamilahking for posting about my 2012 interview on Palestine with @RobinDGKelley http://t.co/KCoAfb3bmD, 50 mins ago
- Statement: Over 140 legal experts & human rights defenders demand an end to Israel's collective punishment of Gaza http://t.co/1yAA8hSXWK, 51 mins ago
- RT @YousefMunayyer: This @CBSNews comment by @bobschieffer is disgusting and racist. No place for this in US MSM http://t.co/YnSmJ9WF5p, 1 hour ago
- RT @ishaantharoor: Gaza and the death of the two-state solution http://t.co/7zvkqSks9P, 1 hour ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Which crowded cities can you fire into? (50)
- talknic: @Jon66 … does a double down on stupid “Is it identified so that you know it’s a military...
- just: “And most of all, you’ll be completely safe from persecution.” Not if you disagree with the...
- talknic: @Jon66 does Habara stupid so well! IDF have their headquarters in empty isolated fields? WOW!!! I wonder if...
- Controversial, illegal, and documented: Israeli military strategies in Gaza (40)
- ritzl: @DaBakr: A) Nonsense. B) Complete nonsense. C) What are the tunnels “there for?” You know, skip...
- Dr. Kristol’s curriculum: US ‘special responsibilities’ include ‘ancient longings’ of Jewish nationalists (19)
- Mooser: “Zionism has opened the door wide for the reemergence of white ethnic and Christian religious...
- Breaking: Israel shelling hospital in Beit Hanoun, injured Palestinians and internationals trapped inside (6)
- ‘Israel is wrong by any moral standard’ — Robinson says, as US media pile up (47)
- Sumud: I thought the UN didn’t know the origins of the rockets but you say “the UN has repeatedly...
- NY Times reports source of UNRWA school attack is unclear even though Israel said they did it (35)
- Which crowded cities can you fire into? (50)
Author Archives: Philip Weiss
Israeli embassy in Ireland has removed Islamophobic images from its twitter feed. “Israel Now, Paris Next” and “Israel is the last frontier of the free world” were messages accompanying images of the Mona Lisa and Michelangelo as Muslim terrorists.
The latest headlines say that President Obama has lost his patience with Israel over the wanton killings of civilians in Gaza. Media is reporting on an “angry call” he made to Israeli prime minister Netanyahu yesterday. But when Obama had a real opportunity to rein in Israeli impunity, he failed to take it. Nine months after Israel’s Operation Cast Lead decimated Gaza in 2009, the Goldstone Report accused Israel and Palestinian authorities of war crimes. The Obama administration did everything it could to kill the report.
Was it the poof moment? The apartheid comment? The helluva pinpoint operation moment? Whether or not he had an epiphany on Israel, John Kerry is distancing himself from its demands in his ceasefire talks, leading some to accuse him of a “betrayal.”
Jon Snow of Channel 4 demonstrates what it means to bear witness to atrocities in Gaza. Our governments are not interested. People must take action, and “that in the end is the greatest hope that the people in Gaza have.” Will he endorse BDS?
An advocate for Israel has started a Facebook page on July 25 called “Death to Dianna Buttu,” aimed at the Palestinian lawyer and advocate Diana Buttu
A rogue faction of Hamas killed three Israeli teens on the West Bank and Israel knew this weeks ago, Israeli official Micky Rosenfeld told BBC’s Jon Donnison, but the truth didn’t stop Israel from blaming Hamas and launching a massive onslaught, killing 900 Palestinians.
Ayman Mohyeldin of NBC publishes searing images from Shuja’iyeh, scene of an Israeli massacre of Palestinians, as a ceasefire allows residents to collect the many dead. He says 81 bodies have been recovered in a few hours, bringing total number of Gaza dead to over 1000.
Anything but supporting BDS is mere words, says Ronnie Kasrils, in stating that the strategy of Hamas in Gaza recalls Vietnamese and South African resistance to oppression
Michael Oren says on CNN that Hamas’s strategy is to drag Israel into Gaza and “get Israel to kill large numbers of civilians” — and then the networks show it for headlines. “Obscene,” Karl Penhaul of CNN says of the charge.
Sean Hannity hectored Yousef Munayyer of the Palestine Center on Fox News Thursday night, badgering him to say whether Hamas is a terrorist organization, Yes or No, and not allowing Munayyer to answer otherwise. He said Munayyer has a “thick head.” Munayyer handled the abuse with dignity.
Raising money for Israelis being bombed in hospitals and schools, NY synagogue has not one breath for Palestinian dead
Greenburgh Hebrew Center in NY shows contempt for the Israeli victims in Gaza, in a fundraising appeal that describes Palestinians bombing hospitals and schools. The attitude is shared by Israelis who have no compassion at all for 155 Palestinian children killed (as Gideon Levy says in Haaretz).
Joan Rivers went off on the media for its coverage of the Gaza onslaught. She said the media are “insane” and BBC and CNN should be “ashamed” of their coverage.
Dr. Kristol’s curriculum: US ‘special responsibilities’ include ‘ancient longings’ of Jewish nationalists
“The Case for Nationalism” is neocon William Kristol’s course in Jerusalem in December, $3000 a head: US nationalism has special responsiblities, evidently including US might to support the “ancient longings” of Jewish nationalists for a homeland in the Middle East
Israel’s actions ‘unjustified’ in eyes of women, non-whites, Dems, indy’s, and those under 50 — Gallup
The latest Gallup poll shows that by two to one, those under 30 and non-whites find Israel’s actions in Gaza unjustified. Women, Democrats, and Independents also overwhelmingly disapprove the actions. Though American support for Israel remains strong, Gallup says
The US media shift against Israel continues: NBC features the onslaught on a UN school and dispenses with the Israeli claims Hamas did it, CNN lets the Israeli ambassador hang himself in a rant; and Eugene Robinson of Washington Post says Israel is wrong by any moral standard
Some liberal Zionists see the slaughter in Gaza and condemn it (Israel’s image is destroyed, MJ Rosenberg says) while others have wrung their hands and talked about deaths on both sides, while supporting Israel. A conversation about Zionism’s errors is beginning inside the Jewish community.
Bernard Avishai has been critical of Israel since the days of Golda Meir, he writes, in objecting to Mondoweiss.net’s characterization of him as part of a mainstream media that is “finally” coming to criticize Israel.
Gaza is a massacre, and if you can’t say so you’re blind or corrupted. But the US supports Israel while covering itself by saying the civilian deaths are “heartbreaking.” “How can any person with a shred of decency support what Israel is doing in Gaza?” John Mearsheimer asks.
Max Steinberg was an American Jew who died fighting for Israel in Gaza. Allison Benedikt at Slate says he was indoctrinated by Birthright, the program that introduces young American Jews to Israel, and Birthright is in part to blame for his death
The Jewish National Fund is promoting a singles trip for American Jewish singles that went to Israel and Palestine recently as an opportunity to find “love in the shadow of war.”
A BBC Arabic reporter was shoved by an angry Israeli while on air from Ashkelon; and Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman says the gov’t wants to bar Al Jazeera from the country, even as the outlet’s Gaza offices were struck by Israeli fire
More than a dozen Jews occupied the offices of the Friends of the Israeli Defense Forces in NY today, and read the names of victims of the Gaza slaughter. Police had arrived by late this morning
Madeleine Albright says the pictures of civilian deaths in Gaza are “hurting Israel’s moral authority.” Andrea Mitchell is concerned about Israel’s economy, now that airlines aren’t flying in. While Richard Engel and Ayman Mohyeldin document the imprecise nature of the Israeli onslaught.
Author Naomi Wolf went to synagogue Friday and left early because they didn’t mention Gaza massacre, which she regards as a genocide. Where is God? God is standing with your neighbors when they are being annihilated, she writes.
The patently brutal and disastrous Israeli policy in Gaza is at last opening space inside the US mainstream media to express criticism of Israel. The conflict is repulsing the mainstream much as the massacres of Cast Lead five years ago forever alienated the US left.