- Ari Shavit calls out every brutality, except the ones Israel … 4
- At least 20 Palestinians killed as Israel resumes attacks on … 0
- Dead American soldier in IDF signed up to fight global … 0
- ‘Lesson: The Jews will defend themselves even if it means … 6
- Tariq Abu Khdeir is not deterred: Despite Israeli police attack, … 12
- ‘I mourn my Jewish community, which seeks to justify these … 33
- Amid fierce debate, members of German think tank take a … 22
- Air strikes and rocket fire resume as Gaza negotiations collapse 72
- Man who saved Jewish boy in Holocaust acts to save … 0
- Social worker, 45, among 3 killed by Israeli soldiers at … 0
- Checking under Israel’s Iron Dome 0
- Rabbi slams ‘militarization’ in St. Louis but when it comes … 0
- Palestine posters archive nominated to UNESCO Memory of the World … 0
- Knight in shining armor? 0
- 5 micro incidents of hope 0
- Gov. Cuomo annexes Jerusalem to Israel — and ‘NYT’ echoes … 0
- US branch of the Jewish ‘family’ owes the homeland ‘unconditional … 170
- Watch: Young Israeli Jew at Western Wall calls for ‘another … 117
- The Walzer Problem 96
- Video: Gaza forces young Jew to overcome ‘giant hostile ferocious … 89
- Is the firing of Steven Salaita the beginning of a … 86
- Tunnels-to-kindergartens propaganda Netanyahu peddled to NYT and CNN is exploded … 85
- Hillary Clinton’s 11th-hour diplomacy 80
- Air strikes and rocket fire resume as Gaza negotiations collapse 72
- .@yaacovlozowick: "Lesson: The Jews will defend themselves even if it means killing children" http://t.co/0ij9iEaC67 #Zionism, 39 mins ago
- RT @alexbkane: Passenger in taxi tells protesters to "go to Gaza". One responds she would love go but blockade prevents her, 45 mins ago
- RT @alexbkane: "You're terrorists" one man tells those calling for end to Jewish institutional support of Gaza blockade, 46 mins ago
- RT @alexbkane: Breaking: 20 anti occupation Jews inside mainstream Jewish groups office calling for end of support for Gaza siege http://t.co/eCn3eEJNxJ, 46 mins ago
- RT @the_daily_panda: This powerful piece at @Mondoweiss is very much worth reading: "Have I failed to acknowledge Palestinian violence?" http://t.co/3u8txBfyjx, 46 mins ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- HAMAS made me do it! (13)
- Gruesome tales surface of Israeli massacres against families in Gaza’s Shujaiya neighborhood (29)
- With ceasefire set to expire, Palestinians aim to lift the siege while Israel wants to turn ‘Gaza into Ramallah’ (14)
- Kay24: At least not in our lifetime. I will die a sad person knowing the Palestinians never got justice, ever. :((
- Witnessing Gaza (30)
- Rob Reiner wants to pick Palestinians’ leaders for them (16)
- Marco: The anti-Tea Party sentiments of Hollywood liberals like Reiner is motivated more by condescension towards...
- UPDATED: Bay Area demonstrators succeed for second day in ‘Blocking the Boat for Gaza’ (36)
Author Archives: Philip Weiss
David Gordon, an Ohioan serving in the Israeli army, was found dead from gunshots yesterday in Israel. He had resolved to serve in Israel after touring Holocaust sites in Poland and becoming convinced that there was a global epidemic against the Jewish people, carried on by Islamic radicals today, aiming to wipe out the Jews in “Holocaust 2.0″
The state archivist of Israel, Yaacov Lozowick, tweets that the lesson of this war is that “the Jews” will defend themselves even if that means killing children, “just like every other warring nation,” and Phil Weiss finds that nihilistic and murderous and doesn’t want to be part of “The Jews” that maintains such belief.
Nine people occupied Senator Dianne Feinstein’s office in LA yesterday to protest her vote to give more arms to Israel during the Gaza massacre. Four interfaith leaders were arrested
Our congressman, Sean Patrick Maloney, is a progressive who is at the forefront of social equality issues. But he’s had nothing but sympathy for Israel in the last month and he voted to send the country another $225 million when it was massacring Palestinians. His constituent Joan Turner wrote to him about the vote and he completely avoided the question. That blindness can’t last.
Josh Ruebner of the US Campaign to End the Occupation offered a clinic in stepping up the tactics to Palestinian supporters: They need to pressure public officials, as he did when he told Eliot Engel he has Palestinian children’s blood on his hands
“You can’t negotiate” with Hamas, you have to “eliminate” them and deal with the Palestinian Authority, Hollywood director Rob Reiner says, putting on his foreign policy hat. So Palestinians have no self-determination.
Max Blumenthal’s photos from Gaza show the crushing devastation of the Israeli attack on the strip. It even bombed the cemetery in Beit Hanoun. He and Dan Cohen have produced a storify of images.
What Israel fears most are the “delegitimizers,” says Richard Boyd Barrett, member of Irish parliament: people who say, No no no, this isn’t just about this or that assault on Gaza, Israel is a dysfunctional racist apartheid state that needs to be internationally isolated and dismantled.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo struck a belligerent tone on his trip to Israel and repeatedly placed occupied Jerusalem inside Israel. The New York Times echoed this pro-Israel propaganda without demurral.
Jewish Voice for Peace used to get way less website traffic than the big Israel lobby group AIPAC and the liberal Zionist lobby J Street. Now the Gaza slaughter has vaulted JVP over those other groups, which have condoned the massacre.
Carey Wedler, who gained fame for burning her Obama t-shirt over his military policies, has been compelled by the Gaza slaughter to bust loose with a video called “How I Became a Self-Hating Jew” in which she reviews Zionist history of terrorism and ethnic cleansing and racial discrimination and says she no longer will be shut down by the “extreme hostility” of people she knows.
The only story people are talking about today is the 91-year-old Dutch man Henk Zanoli’s decision to return a prize he got from Israel for rescuing a Jewish boy during the Holocaust because Israel slaughtered six of his relatives in one strike on a house in Gaza last month. The only way out of Israel’s “racist… quagmire” is to grant Palestinians equal rights, says Zanoli. People question whether the Boycott Divestment and Sanctions movement can be effective? The international attention on this story just shows that symbolic actions of this nature will wake Israel up.
Rabbi slams ‘militarization’ in St. Louis but when it comes to Gaza– the press ‘loves underdog and suffering’
Rabbi Susan Talve has shown great sensitivity to people of color in St. Louis who are subject to racial profiling and militarized police and even white anarchists. But when asked about the people of Gaza who seek equal rights and human rights, she hems and haws. No wonder; she just went to Israel on a trip sponsored by the rightwing Israel lobby group AIPAC.
Israel’s foundation in a ‘terroristic campaign of expulsion, ethnic cleansing and murder’ is the ‘deep wound in that part of the world’ — Sullivan
Gaza has caused journalists to examine the root causes of the conflict. Israel was founded in terror, ethnic cleansing, expulsion, and murder, and Gaza is filled with refugees from this “deep wound,” Andrew Sullivan says, and Americans must understand this context for the conflict,
Dan Cohen and Max Blumenthal have posted photographs of homes in Shuja’iyeh Gaza that bear carved graffiti of Stars of David, evidently cut by Israeli soldiers during the ground invasion of the neighborhood.
The idea of a two state solution that was around the corner allowed liberal Zionists to claim that they were liberals and supported a “Jewish democracy.” Now Gaza has ended the illusion, and it has put many liberal Zionists in crisis. Writings from Joseph Dana, Adam Shatz and Jonathan Freedland all speak to this moment.
Cuomo and Zuckerman take a suckers’ tour of tunnels (a few miles from massacres they can’t make time for)
A few miles from the scenes of massacres of Palestinian civilians, NY Gov Cuomo and Daily News publisher Mort Zuckerman show solidarity with Israel by giving credence to the tunnel chimera, the belief that Hamas tunnels aimed at killing Israeli civilians.
Aviation enthusiasts plan to fly 15 planes with Israeli flags and trailing a We Love Israel banner over NY and NJ beaches, and Manhattan too, on Aug. 24. Not in formation!
Mass Senator Eliz Warren’s announcement that she will go to Israel in the fall to pad out her flimsy foreign-policy file feeds speculation that she may have national ambitions. Gov. Andrew Cuomo is there now. Hillary Clinton is running to Obama’s right on Israel.
A Wall Street Journal report by Adam Entous says that Israel relied on allies in the Obama administration and Congress to dip into US weapon stocks as it carried out a massacre in Gaza, even as President Obama was trying to restrain Israel. The proof of Israel’s autonomy inside the U.S. government has angered Obama and brought relations to a new low, says the Journal. We can hope.
Tunnels-to-kindergartens propaganda Netanyahu peddled to NYT and CNN is exploded by Israeli news site
The New York Times said that Hamas had built a tunnel into Kibbutz Be’eri in Israel, in a story pumping up fears that Gaza tunnels target kindergartens. Now it turns out that tunnel was 2 miles away from Kibbutz Be’eri; and the Times was echoing Israeli PM Netanyahu’s propaganda
Governor Andrew Cuomo today likened Hamas to Al Qaeda, telling Israeli PM Netanyahu that New Yorkers know what Israel is going through now because they were hit on 9/11. Netanyahu said that Hamas was like ISIS, in rejecting “modernity”
Zoabi, subject of police investigation, decries ‘jingoistic consensus’ gripping Israeli Jewish public
Haneen Zoabi, a Palestinian member of the Israeli knesset, is under investigation for alleged incitement against police. The investigation is a result of jingoistic and fascistic mood in Israel, she says, and investigators are ignoring racist incitements to war crimes by Israeli Jewish politicians
Shmuel Rosner’s attack on liberal Zionist American writers for going wobbly over the Gaza slaughter rather than show family loyalty is proof of the overbearing narcissism of the Israeli establishment. Sad that it is published in the NYT and echoed at Slate.
Daily News publisher, Gov. Cuomo, Yankees president, and NE Patriots’ owner are latest to rush to Israel’s side
Netanyahu once said that the US is something that can be easily moved, and the roster of prominent Americans rushing to israel’s side in the middle of the Gaza massacre show he’s right: the Yankees president Randy Levine, the NE Patriots owner Robert Kraft, Daily News publisher Mort Zuckerman, and Gov. Cuomo all rush to embrace Israel.