- Khalidi: It’s time for Palestinians ‘to get off their knees’ … 6
- Tony Blair’s Middle East speech: dangerous and anti-Muslim 12
- Jenin refugee camp hit by wave of Israeli raids and … 4
- BDS activists leaflet Ben & Jerry’s shops on commercial ties … 14
- Israel stops US-led peace talks citing Palestinian unity (Updated) 33
- From McMecca to McJerusalem 2
- Video: Israeli soldiers detain 6-year-old child on his way to … 60
- ‘Al Jazeera’ examines Jewish constellation of lobby elites, and marginalized … 56
- ‘NYT’ photo feature on women in Gaza ignores Israel and … 0
- John Judis’s Truman book is a landmark in anti-Zionism 0
- Father of photographer critically wounded at West Bank protest: ‘This … 0
- Bridgegate 2.0: Israeli tech students manipulate traffic patterns 0
- Global Earth Day coalition drops SodaStream over complicity in Israeli … 0
- Snowden revealed a world of conspiracies I once would have … 0
- UN peace envoy denied entry to Church of the Holy … 0
- Max Blumenthal’s guilt by association – with Jewish ethics 0
- Obama and Kerry are spurred by ‘vainglory’ in pursuing talks … 186
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 185
- John Judis’s Truman book is a landmark in anti-Zionism 116
- How many ‘Palestinian Arabs’ want to kill ‘all Jews?’ 112
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 111
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an 87
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel 78
- Peter Beinart misses South Africa’s apartheid lesson, Gideon Levy gets … 74
- RT @alexbkane: DAM in Ramallah http://t.co/MIRu1HwO0T, 18 mins ago
- Rashid Khalidi sees John Kerry’s failure strengthening the call for boycott, divestment and sanctions http://t.co/J6FVaShSqW #BDS, 2 hours ago
- Rashid Khalidi says US opposition to reunification of Palestinian parties exposes the “farce” of the peace process http://t.co/J6FVaShSqW, 2 hours ago
- Khalidi: It's time for Palestinians 'to get off their knees' and turn to Europe and ICC http://t.co/J6FVaShSqW http://t.co/UkS8SEPdaq, 2 hours ago
- Report: Starbucks to buy 10% stake in SodaStream http://t.co/gffMLICMkv, 2 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- BDS activists leaflet Ben & Jerry’s shops on commercial ties to Israeli settlements (14)
- Khalidi: It’s time for Palestinians ‘to get off their knees’ and turn to Europe and ICC (6)
- Registration of Jews and other human beings (70)
- lysias: Yarosh has moved Right Sector headquarters to Dnepropetrovsk. Ukraine’s far-right leader moves HQ to the...
- lysias: If the ADL is really behind the hoax, I wonder how that can be squared with Israel not supporting U.S....
- Hostage: Yes, I surmise that you laugh much like KKK members do when African-Americans talk about discrimination....
- ‘Al Jazeera’ examines Jewish constellation of lobby elites, and marginalized ‘universalists’ (56)
Category Archives: Gaza
In what might be justified by the New York Times as an attempt to “depoliticize” and “humanize” Palestinian women in Gaza the paper ran a photo essay this past Sunday titled “Female in Gaza.” However the article obfuscates, covering up Israeli oppression and obscuring Gaza’s connection to the West Bank and to Palestinians in general.
The Gaza Writes Back book tour has brought the lack of Palestinian freedom of movement home to American audiences in an unplanned way. Sarah Ali, a contributor to the book, was supposed to be on tour with Rawan Yaghi, Yousef Aljamal and Refaat Alareer. But she was denied a visa by Israel. Nevertheless, the tour has carried on, with the contributors giving presentations on the realities of life in Gaza and the impact of Operation Cast Lead, Israel’s attack on Gaza at the end of 2008.
‘We ask you to show solidarity with the farmers and their families of Gaza’: Open letter to Neil Young from Gaza agricultural workers
A letter from the Gaza Union of Agricultural Work Committees Association asking Neil Young to cancel his upcoming show in Israel.
Sarah Ali received a permit from Israel to travel from Gaza to Jerusalem to apply and interview for her U.S. visa. However, after she received her visa, Israel would not allow her to travel out of Gaza to Jordan to join her colleagues on book tour in the United States.
Katie Miranda contrasts anti-BDS concerns heard on U.S. campuses versus the reality of life for Palestinians in the occupied territories.
Remember the massive Israeli photo ops earlier this month during the grand unveiling of “advanced” weapons bound for “terrorist organizations” in Gaza? Well, Reuters is reporting some US analysts don’t think it was headed to Gaza.
The youngest American in CODEPINK’s International Women’s Day Delegation bound for Gaza recounts her 22 hours detained in the Egyptian airport.
IMEMC 15 Mar by Chris Carlson — A Gaza official said that the number of the Gaza Palestinians killed by Israel since early 2014, as a result of military escalation, has increased to 18.
Medea Benjamin shares her harrowing story of being detained in Egypt while on her way to mark International Women’s Day in Gaza.
The Israeli air force repeatedly bombed the Gaza Strip as a response to a barrage of projectiles that Islamic Jihad fired into Israel. The latest round of fighting was started with an attack on Israeli soldiers and efforts to avenge the deaths of Palestinians killed in recent days. But the roots of the latest fighting are Israeli violations of the November 2012 truce between Hamas and Israel, and the years-long blockade and occupation crippling the Gaza Strip.
Tuesday marked a day of funerals as Palestinians across the West Bank and Gaza mourned six killed by Israeli forces within twenty-four hours. Three were killed in the West Bank in separate instances and three were killed in the Gaza Strip from an air strike. Above, the funeral of Saji Darwish, 18, in Beitin, a village in the West Bank.
IMEMC Sat 22 Feb by Chris Carlson — A Palestinian child, age 13, has been seriously injured, on Friday evening, as Israeli forces east of Rafah fired at him. Al Ray reports that medical sources at Abu Yousef al-Najjar Hospital in the southern Gaza Strip said Fadel Abu Odwan, 13, was shot in the pelvis, assessing his this status as critical.
Life in Gaza in becoming more difficult than ever with the blockade and unavailability of essential services such as water. Water in Gaza is heavily contaminated with salt and sewage which are difficult to remove. The majority of the population in the strip depends on desalinated water purchased from private vendors at high cost ($13 for one cubic meter). Families with poor conditions can’t afford desalinated water; therefore depend on contaminated municipal water or water from private agricultural wells. This impacts people’s health, particularly children and puts their safety at risk. Water contamination causes serious diseases such as cancer, liver problems, renal failure, high blood pressure, diarrhea, and hepatitis.
The Palestinians of Gaza fear another Israeli military offensive is imminent. Israel is flexing its military muscle and Egypt has joined the band, beating the drums of war.
Israeli restrictions on the Gaza Strip have caused severe losses for strawberry growers, whose produce goes to European markets. But the current growing season is even worse. Growers’ losses have been doubled, as a heavy winter storm hit the region in December, damaging their fields and ripe crops.
Nothing can possibly justify the Syrian regime’s policy of collective punishment against the Palestinians of Yarmouk, writes Omar Chaaban.
There was a packed house for the London launch of Just World Books’ Gaza Writes Back, Short stories from Young Writers in Gaza, Palestine yesterday.
While searching the internet for ways a private citizen in the U.S. could support humanitarian projects in the West Bank and Gaza through charities based in the U.S., I was not surprised to find that it takes some digging to find opportunities, especially in Gaza.
‘Look where the world is and where we are!’ an exclamation I very frequently heard at home, and even expressed myself at some points. Going out to this world though, makes this thought invalid. It is a world where a major concern is offering dogs a better life, healthier food and softer napkins because humans do not have problems to worry about. In this world, brains are squeezed to figure out what problems may occur in 2050, and how they can be solved because there is nothing to solve at the moment other than the fact that there aren’t comfortable couches and free Wi-Fi in shopping centres. People are not worried about water supply or power cuts, when to do the laundry or how to charge the laptop. All the basics are available, and what is sought is only to better the quality of life.
GAZA CITY (AFP) 25 Dec — A three-year-old Palestinian girl was killed in an Israeli raid on the Gaza Strip after the fatal shooting Tuesday of an Israeli near the Gaza border, in the latest uptick in Israeli-Palestinian violence.
Dr. Eyad el Sarraj died on December 17 at the age of 69 and is being buried today in the Gaza Strip. The founder of the Gaza Community Mental Health Programme in 1990, he made helping people move beyond their personal and collective trauma his life’s work. Nancy Murray remembers el Sarraj and their work together writing he had the “determination to live in open, nonviolent defiance of occupation, both as an assertion of his own humanity, and in recognition of the humanity of others, Israelis as well as Palestinians.” Above, Dr. Eyad el Sarraj and his son Ali in the garden of their house, circa 2005.
GAZA CITY (Ma‘an) 15 Dec — Israeli authorities started to pump industrial diesel donated by Qatar into the Gaza Strip on Sunday morning, a Gaza official told Ma‘an. The move is part of a temporary agreement to ease the blockade following days of record flooding that has devastated large swathes of the besieged coastal enclave.
Fidaa Abuassi writes about talking to her family in Gaza as they deal with a severe winter storm without fuel or electricity due to the siege.
Refaat Alarer, editor of a new volume of short fiction from Gaza, writes: ‘Palestine is a martyr away, a tear away, a missile away, or a whimper away. Palestine is “a story away.”