- UN and Hunter College events feature plight of Bedouin refugees, … 0
- AIPAC promotes Netanyahu on two states (and ignores the statements … 0
- Jamal al-Dura calls on Israeli government to bring him his … 1
- Kerry faults Israelis for complacency — peace isn’t ‘on the … 4
- Cornell SJP publishes ‘Notes on Palestine/Israel’ as an antidote to … 0
- Exile and the Prophetic: Notes from a ‘marginal Jew’ 2
- CBS stands by Bob Simon, blowing off CAMERA’s charges of … 6
- Video: Medea Benjamin interrupts Obama speech on US drone … 21
- Two friends meet for 5 minutes in Jerusalem 1709
- Palestinian-American Raed Zidan plants flag on top of Everest, dedicates … 1361
- Christians denounce Israel’s manhandling of worshipers at Holy Sepulcher on … 952
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 809
- In photos: Gaza marches and rallies mark 65 years of … 442
- Washington Post’s racism map omits Israel 438
- Israeli report on al-Dura case is vengeful and ‘surreal,’ says … 401
- International Criminal Court opens preliminary investigation into attack on Mavi … 355
- Kennedy’s insistence on right of return prompted Ben-Gurion to rewrite … 104
- International Criminal Court opens preliminary investigation into attack on Mavi … 96
- Abulhawa declines to ‘balance out’ several Israelis in ‘Al Jazeera’ … 94
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 93
- Washington Post’s racism map omits Israel 73
- Uncompromising hope inspired by Ghassan Kanafani 63
- Dershowitz should stop lying about Tutu’s record 56
- Biden says Jewish ‘influence’ behind American cultural politics is ‘immense… … 55
- RT @theIMEU: INFOGRAPHIC: 1,397 #Palestinian children have been killed since 2000 due to #Israeli occupation & settler presence http://t.co…, 13 mins ago
- RT @intifada: Mexico has gone public about military coordination with Israel in Chiapas, home to the Zapatistas liberation movement http://…, 14 mins ago
- RT @shunradan: Habeas corpus RT @Mondoweiss: Jamal al-Dura calls on Israeli government to bring him his son http://t.co/rklLMIaYji, 32 mins ago
- Jamal al-Dura calls on Israeli government to bring him his son http://t.co/mfziN3EkNk, 36 mins ago
- AIPAC promotes Netanyahu on two states (and ignores the statements from the rest of his government) http://t.co/g9RwcfQAmK, 37 mins ago
click link to see last 100 comments
- Jamal al-Dura calls on Israeli government to bring him his son (1)
- Pamela Olson: Fascinating… This time Israel not only jumped the shark, the shark had a laser gun and was...
- Two friends meet for 5 minutes in Jerusalem (53)
- Glenn Greenwald on the Woolwich attack and blowback from the ‘war on terror’ (27)
- Woody Tanaka: “Influencing the Iraqi regime to surrender with a show of military might isn’t the same thing as...
- kalithea: For further understanding of the hypocrisy involved in the phony “war on terror”, read the...
- Yitzgood: The Greenwald article states the following: What was the US/UK “shock and awe” attack on...
- Mohammed Assaf, singing sensation out of Gaza refugee camp, torches Arab Idol competition (32)
- Annie Robbins: yeah, i just finished maysoon’s kick*ss article. the next episode of arab idol starts in less...
- Kerry faults Israelis for complacency — peace isn’t ‘on the tip of everybody’s tongue’ (4)
- dbroncos: Kerry needs more appropriate garb for this peace process skit. Maybe a red feather wig and some clown...
- CBS stands by Bob Simon, blowing off CAMERA’s charges of anti-Semitism (6)
- Jamal al-Dura calls on Israeli government to bring him his son (1)
Our WritersMore Writers
Category Archives: Middle East
Code Pink’s Medea Benjamin interrupted President Obama several times during a speech at National Defense University on the ongoing “war on terror,” including U.S. drone policy and the Guantanamo Bay detention facility.
Glenn Greenwald wrote another of his important blowback articles this morning in the Guardian; Was the London killing of a British soldier ‘terrorism’? He asks an essential question concerning the definition and use of the term “terrorism”. The media in western societies should be scrutinizing this definition and the hypocrisy with which the term is applied.
In the current media discourse the actual culture and history of the Arab Jews is completely ignored in favor of a bare-knuckles political approach that marks Jews and Arabs as separate categories. The narrative is one that has been constructed by the Zionists and leaves out the existential and cultural substance of the Sephardic community.
Turkish PM raises Mavi Marmara at White House press conf, calls grow for Obama to investigate killing of Furkan Doğan
Yesterday, President Obama held a joint press conference with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. Although the focus was on Syria, and the myriad scandals overtaking the White House in the past week, Israel/Palestine came up as well.
Last night Bill Maher had Glenn Greenwald on his show. Maher, a self-professed atheist who thinks religion is poison but thinks Israel is wonderful got a big surprise.
US promotes regional states/Israeli alliance against Iran while leading provocative naval drills in the Gulf
The U.S. is promoting a military alliance among Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Turkey in order to counter what they perceive as an Iranian threat.
I have argued for years that Israel’s only route for integration into the Middle East is through Palestinians. Without a just resolution of the Palestinian issue, Israel will forever be isolated, turning to the West for support and living in its “dangerous neighborhood” as a militarized pariah. Contra my argument, what if Israel’s way into the Middle East is through its military dominance and becoming a significant cooperative player in the “stabilization” of the Middle East – without a real Palestinian state?
I love it when American pundits talk about American intervention just shy of American boots on the ground – as if everyone else’s suffering is unimportant in comparison.
Seven candidates for New York City mayor gathered on Sunday at a one-of-a-kind forum devoted to Muslim community issues. The debate focused on a range of issues, from police surveillance of Muslims to school holidays to the Brooklyn College BDS panel. While most candidates spoke out against police surveillance of Muslims, only two said the program was unconstitutional. And the front-runners in the race–Christine Quinn and Bill de Blasio–did not denounce the expansive surveillance program. Above, from the left, is Public Advocate Bill de Blasio; Comptroller John Liu; City Council Speaker Christine Quinn; and Rev. Erick Salgado.
Until last week the Arab world’s position on Israeli borders was firm. Then Secretary of State John Kerry visited the Middle East and the Arab League reversed its stance on settlements, backing “land swaps” between Israel and the occupied Palestinian territories.
As Israel strikes Syria from the air, Prime Minister Netanyahu is affirming that discussions about the Arab League’s proposal aren’t about so much about land swaps. The recognition of Israel as a Jewish state is more important. Of course, it helps that Israel already has a solid lock on the land it wants. Now it’s time to wrap up the Jewish state idea.
US has accused Syrian regime of using chemical weapons, but UN investigator says rebels have used them. At the New York Times, Bill Keller, who pushed the Iraq war, advises, “Syria Is Not Iraq,” and that “getting Syria right starts with getting over Iraq.” The columnist ascribes great power to the U.S. to be able to fix things over there– on what basis?
Islamophobic ‘Foreign Policy’ article compares Boston bombing and Palestinian resistance to occupation
Yair Shamir’s May 1, Foreign Policy article “Our Shared Islamist Enemy: From Boston to Israel, radicals are attempting to destroy Western culture” endeavors to draw baseless parallels between the Boston Marathon bombings and the resistance of Palestinians against the Israeli occupation, what he inaccurately portrays as an “aggressive and offensive jihad, unconnected to any particular conflict or borders, which conjoins Islamist terror groups around the world.” His unabashedly Zionist agenda rears its head through this opportunistic attempt to play into the media circus surrounding the Boston bombings.
Legal fight continues against NYPD spying on Muslims: an interview with civil rights lawyer Jethro Eisenstein
Jethro Eisenstein has battled the New York Police Department’s civil rights violations for 42 years. Now, the civil rights lawyer is taking the fight to the NYPD’s expansive program of spying on the Muslim community. Mondoweiss’ Alex Kane sat down with Eisenstein to discuss the lawsuit against the NYPD surveillance program, the police department’s history of spying on dissidents, the Boston bombings and proposals on the table to rein in the excesses of the NYPD.
Listen to these Palestinians, now yet again refugees in another land. First the Zionist armies exiled them from their villages in Palestine in 1948, now the armies of Bashar exiled them from Syria, which had became a temporary home.
Morris Davis, the Chief Prosecutor for the Terrorism Trials at Guantanamo Bay for more than two years, has authored a petition at Change.org calling for President Obama to close the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay. He writes: “If any other country were treating prisoners the way we are treating those in Guantanamo we would roundly and rightly criticize that country. We can never retake the legal and moral high ground when we claim the right to do unto others that which we would vehemently condemn if done to one of us.”
The situation at Guantanamo continues to deteriorate. Here’s 6 facts you should know about Guantanamo Bay and the ongoing act of protest most of the prisoners are participating in.
Islamophobia has reared its ugly head post-Boston bombings. This time, though, the major purveyors of it aren’t right-wing bigots. Instead, it’s the U.S. government and a general tolerance for the violation of Muslims’ civil rights. The treatment of Dzokhar Tsarnaev, the main suspect in the Boston bombings, is a case study in how there’s a “Muslim exception” to the U.S. Constitution. This “Muslim exception” is rooted in Islamophobia.
The Israeli military shot down a drone today that invaded Israeli airspace. The military is now scouring the Mediteranean Sea off the coast of Haifa in search of wreckage from the drone. The incident comes about six months after the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah sent a drone that invaded Israeli airspace.
Read the introduction to Jacobin magazine’s special section on Palestine and the Left.
New York Times: The Defense Department is expected to finalize a $10 billion arms deal with Israel, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates next week that will provide missiles, warplanes and troop transports to help them counter any future threat from Iran.
Instead of feasting their feat, innocent men and women of all ages were limping and crying. In a matter of seconds, Boston became Baghdad on the tax day. Bodies, blood and broken limbs were on the streets of Boston and … Continue reading
A cartoon by Katie Miranda illustrating the Morsi government’s approach to Gaza.
The takeaway: We see and hear of victims of terrorism in Syria, Libya, Iraq, Palestine, Pakistan, and Afghanistan every day. The death of an innocent, no matter where, is nothing short of horrifying.