- From the Royal Albert Concert Hall to an Israeli Dungeon: … 15
- After attending Mandela’s memorial, Knesset member’s blood rejected in gov’t … 27
- Narrative stronger than weapons: the 23 short stories in ‘Gaza … 3
- Shared values: Likud member says Prawer Plan akin to what … 19
- Netanyahu didn’t go to Mandela memorial because he needed ’100s’ … 22
- Forward publisher says ‘America’s full acceptance of its Jewish citizens’ … 30
- 92d St Y speaker decried those who ‘suck the cocks … 8
- Israeli government hid map of Prawer plan from Bedouins and … 2
- Man of zeal? 0
- Fallows: A free society must reckon with Blumenthal’s book, as … 0
- NBC features Peres’s support for apartheid as Mandela ‘languished in … 0
- Remember Mandela’s actions, Kerry urges Palestinians and Israelis 0
- Help send Netanyahu to the Mandela memorial! 0
- Obama and Kerry drop talk of Palestinian state for ‘state … 0
- Honor Mandela by viewing Palestine with the same moral clarity … 0
- Kerry threatens to delay Palestinian prisoner release if PA refuses … 0
- Israeli report: Kerry proposed long-term Israeli military presence in the … 143
- Netanyahu’s ‘gift’ to Pope: book on Catholic church’s persecution of … 128
- Obama and Kerry drop talk of Palestinian state for ‘state … 88
- Obama’s Mandela eulogy — moving, and hypocritical 87
- Man of zeal? 85
- At New America Foundation, Max Blumenthal warns Israeli policy is … 76
- Deconstructing Netanyahu’s tribute to Mandela 76
- ‘NYT’ and Wash Post won’t tell us why Dems are … 76
- RT @WordreamsTweets: @Mondoweiss article about the upcoming Gaza Writes Back, copyedited by Wordreams! http://t.co/Hsb8Vj8Gjz, 11 hours ago
- RT @Remroum: Made a donation to @Mondoweiss. But didn't take the gift copy of @MaxBlumenthal's book. Got my copy already. Donate: https://t.co/kEg7uuogeA, 11 hours ago
- RT @Detroit_to_Gaza: @Mondoweiss - University of Michigan Palestine rights campaign goes global: http://t.co/GVdeW7QCaD: "Thousands of students 'evicted' ", 12 hours ago
- RT @Remroum: Hillel is not a space for Jewish students, according to the Hillel president, but a space for Zionist Jewish students http://t.co/q1aU7Nsv9q, 12 hours ago
- RT @MJPlitnick: Israeli pols show contempt for Mandela's legacy: Israeli lawmakers absent from SA ambassador's memorial for Mandela http://t.co/xHIlE9ChE2, 14 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Deconstructing Netanyahu’s tribute to Mandela (77)
- From the Royal Albert Concert Hall to an Israeli Dungeon: Omar Saad, a young violist and conscientious objector (15)
- ‘NYT’ and Wash Post won’t tell us why Dems are hurting Obama on Iran deal (76)
- Israeli report: Kerry proposed long-term Israeli military presence in the Jordan Valley (143)
- Justpassingby: Hostage You are complaining about negotiations that he supervised before there was ever any question...
- Interview with Roger Waters: ‘It’s a duty for artists to speak out’ (12)
- talknic: @ yonah fredman ” I believe that this pressure will work (smoother and sooner) if there is a belief...
- Shared values: Likud member says Prawer Plan akin to what ‘Americans did to the Indians’ (19)
- Cliff: From a moonofalabama commentator quoting a book by Mark Mazower: There were no historical parallels for such...
- Forward publisher says ‘America’s full acceptance of its Jewish citizens’ is bad for the Jews (30)
- yonah fredman: Jewish lore tells of Jews who threw their tefillin into the water when they saw the Statue of Liberty...
Category Archives: Arab Spring
Naftali Bennett’s talk at the 92nd Street Y in Manhattan veered from Israel’s status as a “lighthouse nation” to why the peace process was doomed to fail. But the main event of his discussion with neoconservative Dan Senor was the right-wing star’s warnings about why the U.S. should not strike a deal with Iran. “If a decade from now, God forbid, a nuclear suitcase blows up in an American city, we will be able to trace it back to these days,” Bennett told the crowd. The HaBayit HaYehudi leader urged for Western sanctions to be ramped up on Iran three days before talks over the Islamic Republic’s nuclear energy program will kick off again in Geneva, with many signs pointing to a deal.
Containment allows Israel to keep everything it has taken in Jerusalem and the West Bank – with more to come — Marc Ellis, at Mondo
Can President Obama’s secret aid plan and Europe’s constructive engagement trump the will of alliance between Israel and Middle Easter dictators? Stay tuned – with little hope.
It has been more than two years since a wave of revolts and demonstrations hit a number of Arab countries calling for dignity, freedom and justice. With persistence and determination protestors in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya succeeded in toppling their long ruling dictators, no longer tolerating being misrepresented or oppressed by tyrants. However, the main question we pose in this article is: with the change of political climate in the Middle East, what effect has the Arab Spring had on Palestinian refugees’ hope of return?
Secretary of State John Kerry actually believes that this latest iteration of the decades-old industry known as the “peace process” might really succeed. But unfortunately for him, Kerry’s political calculations are about to run aground on the unforgiving shoals of political reality. These talks are doomed to the same failure as the 22 years of failed diplomacy that precedes them.
American law stipulates that foreign aid is cut-off in the event of a military coup–but in the case of Egypt, that won’t happen. Too much is at stake for U.S. elite interests–namely Israel, the Suez Canal and influence in the Middle East–for a military aid cut-off to actually go through. In fact, Secretary of State John Kerry already signed off on $1.3 billion in aid to the Egyptian armed forces this year. Above, Egyptian protesters celebrate after Mohamed Morsi was deposed from power.
I loathe the premise that people of colour should be ‘grateful’ that others are taking notice of their subjugation, or that they should bite their tongues and clench their fists and instead show gratitude because their varied plights are being in some way ‘acknowledged‘ by others.
Here’s the story of Amina Tyler, a 19-year- young woman who has brewed a storm of controversy in Tunisia. Tyler around 10 days ago posted two photos of herself topless on Facebook. The first image showed Amina with the words “F*** your morals” written across her chest. The second has the words “My body belongs to me and is not the source of anyone’s honor” written in Arabic.
Unconditional American support only goes so far when the rest of the world is turning against you. That’s why Barack Obama went to Israel– to try and help Israel break out of its deepening political loneliness with an effort to jumpstart negotiations and reconcile Turkey to Israel. Will it work? By most indications, Israel’s actions and political system will continue to isolate the country.
Peter Rugh interviews Omar Barghouti about the Brooklyn College controversy, the global BDS movement and the Arab Spring rebellions across the Arab world.
“Westernized” is very often the first accusation pointed in your face when attempting to discuss or even try to raise gender matters in our society.” Especially if it stems from someone who has just come back from abroad, let alone it being a woman. I cannot deny that being abroad for the first time in my whole life has put me in a very serious confrontation with my own identity not only as a Palestinian, or as a Muslim but also as a woman.
Following air strikes Sunday by the Syrian military on the country’s largest refugee camp, Palestinians are fleeing from the relative shelter of refugee status in Syria to strapped aid services in Lebanon. Once home to 150,000 refugees, Yarmouk camp in Damascus has emptied with Palestinian leaving en masse for the first time since violence erupted two years ago for the ouster of President Bashar al-Assad.
Gaza commemorates the 25th anniversary of the First Intifada and of the founding of Hamas with the arrival of Khaled Meshaal
After the assault on Gaza was over, The New York Times printed a story pointing to Iran as a motivation for why Israel waged its assault. But a series of analysts dispute that claim for various reasons.
Army Occupies School In Jenin Israeli soldiers invaded, on Tuesday evening, a school east of Jenin city, in the northern part of the West Bank, and used it as a military post and monitoring tower. link to www.imemc.org Israeli forces … Continue reading
US immigration officials detain and interrogate Imran Khan about drones and who’s pushing the State Department
U.S. Immigration detained Imran Khan in Canada on Saturday as he was boarding a plane for New York to attend a fundraiser. They interrogated him for 2 hours over his views on drones. Khan made big waves last month leading … Continue reading
On Monday, Michael Oren, the Israeli ambassador to the United States, addressed a packed house at Congregation Beth Elohim in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Throughout the talk, Oren painted a picture of a blameless Israel, where a belligerent occupation, radical and racist settlers and the crippling blockade on Gaza didn’t exist. Above, Oren (center) poses with Rabbi Andy Bachman, on the right.
Both U.S. and Israeli ambassadors to the UN addressed Hezbollah at the UN Security Council meeting yesterday after Hezbollah Secretary General Hasan Nasrallah confirmed on Saturday it was Hezbollah who sent the drone shot down by Israel. U.S. Ambassador Susan … Continue reading
In a shocking radio address in Lebanon, Hezbollah’s Secretary-General Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah just announced the drone brought down by Israel last Saturday indeed originated from Hezbollah. Nasrallah also announced the drone was Irainian made but assembled by members of Hezbollah. … Continue reading
Check out this 18 minute anti Obama infomercial from RightChange.com titled “Absolutely Uncertain”.
Mousata Bayoumi says the anti-Muslim film attributed to causing mass protest in the Middle East is actually an “archly stupid” scapegoat that reflects the far-right’s influence over media, not unlike the “manufactured controversy over the ‘Ground Zero mosque.’”
Thomas Friedman’s latest column, “Look in Your Mirror,” contains research provided to him by the neo-conservative propaganda think tank, the Middle East Media Research Institute.
Inevitably and tragically the United States has once again experienced a blowback of a policy not of its sole provenance.
‘Rocks For Palestine’, is a poem creatively drawn out in Arabic calligraphy by Everitte Barbee.
Last May 25, 108 people were massacred at Houla near Homs, Syria. Al Jazeera report confirms that gov’t militias carried out the attacks