- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 89
- Cornell student government puts the kibosh on divestment debate 2
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an 11
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel 43
- American citizen, translator and student—Mariam Barghouti arrested and detained in … 10
- NY Times profile of Gazan long distance runner reveals reality … 6
- Let God’s people go — and return, too 2
- Roger Ailes demands NY village official take down ‘Facebook’ post. … 3
- Why are two Republican congressmen doing a walkabout on the … 0
- About that special relationship… 0
- Two desperate anti-Semitism charges, from Foxman and Boteach 0
- Israel to annex 1,000 dunam of Palestinian land; Peace Now … 0
- A prayer for Passover 0
- It’s time to reveal the Israeli role in the US … 0
- ‘Secret’ London conference seeks to link BDS to… terrorism 0
- To reach the ‘moveable middle’ in Jewish life, you must … 0
- Simon Schama’s Israel whitewash 158
- ‘Poof’ — Kerry blames Israel for breakdown of talks (Updated) 144
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 110
- 66 years ago today 42 members of my family were … 107
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 104
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 100
- 6 DC heavyweights tell Kerry, Netanyahu in West Bank is … 99
- The Jewish community must not embrace Ayaan Hirsi Ali 97
- RT @aptly_engineerd: My friend's cousin, a US citizen, has been arrested by Israeli police for translating at protests. What democracy? http://t.co/EOVKhaPvry, 5 hours ago
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: The smears leveled at me & others this week were not an assault, but a desperate defensive action by those terrified by the arc of history., 5 hours ago
- Updated: Remote-control weapon installed atop wall near Bethlehem may shoot water/skunk water instead of live ammo http://t.co/c2gMBYyA4J, 6 hours ago
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an http://t.co/c2gMBYyA4J, 6 hours ago
- RT @henrystreetedit: Israel arrests and detains US citizen, translator and student Mariam Barghouti http://t.co/wuB1Uusib4 #FreeMariam, 7 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an (11)
- Henry Norr: From “Remote-control machine gun repairs just got quicker” Jerusalem Post 5/24/2013...
- Sumud: Thanks Henry I was going to mention Cook’s article myself. FYI the original version at The National is...
- talknic: Most likely device like a water cannon http://www.maannews.net/images /PhotoViewer/275053.jpg
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link Max Blumenthal to KC shooter suspect (89)
- Philip Munger: My exchange with MJ today: Philip Munger @PhilipMunger @MJayRosenberg Is there a place in your heart...
- Donald: “If you want to limit the power of Zionist activism, then you have to change the paradigm for activism...
- talknic: yonah fredman Your concerns are so touching…. Say, Is anyone gonna die because of anything Max...
- NY Times profile of Gazan long distance runner reveals reality of occupation (6)
- David Samel: Just to add one thing. The Times headline reads “Mideast Tensions Sideline a Gazan Marathon...
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel (43)
- Sumud: Friedman has to maintain the fairy tale about the apartheid wall for 2 reasons: - Palestinians are savages...
- Roger Ailes demands NY village official take down ‘Facebook’ post. She says no (3)
- dbroncos: … Watergate hit him “like a stomach punch” A punch that disappeared up to the elbow.
- American citizen, translator and student—Mariam Barghouti arrested and detained in West Bank (10)
- talknic: Copies of the Privacy Act Waiver can be signed and safely in the hands of your family in advance.
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an (11)
Category Archives: Arab Spring
Amos Yadlin is very comfortable with Israel’s regional situation. In a conversation with New York Times journalist Ethan Bronner, the former Israeli general predicted that the peace talks with the Palestinians would fail. “The chance of Kerry succeeding is like my chance to win the lottery if I didn’t buy a ticket,” he said, but dismissed predictions of doom if that came to pass, suggesting that Israel can cope with pressure and that the country should unilaterally withdraw to the line drawn by the West Bank separation barrier. Yadlin was also sanguine about the Arab Spring’s impact on Israel, saying that Arab countries are focused internally and that Egypt’s military regime is preferable to the Muslim Brotherhood.
The theory of the ‘clash of civilizations,’ promulgated by the late Samuel Huntington (above) and once widely taken seriously, has been destroyed by events of the past few years in The Middle East
The gloom today about the prospects for genuine democracy in Egypt may be premature, explains a distinguished scholar. Yes, the latest news from Egypt continues to depress. Three years after masses of brave demonstrators filled Tahrir Square, the new military government continues to arrest thousands of innocent people — with the apparent support of a majority of Egyptians. The security forces have libeled the Muslim Brotherhood as “terrorist,” despite no evidence, outlawed the organization and killed at least hundreds of its members. But doomsayers should look at European history.
Abdalhadi Alijla argues the Arab Spring has been counterproductive towards the Palestinian cause.
Naftali Bennett’s talk at the 92nd Street Y in Manhattan veered from Israel’s status as a “lighthouse nation” to why the peace process was doomed to fail. But the main event of his discussion with neoconservative Dan Senor was the right-wing star’s warnings about why the U.S. should not strike a deal with Iran. “If a decade from now, God forbid, a nuclear suitcase blows up in an American city, we will be able to trace it back to these days,” Bennett told the crowd. The HaBayit HaYehudi leader urged for Western sanctions to be ramped up on Iran three days before talks over the Islamic Republic’s nuclear energy program will kick off again in Geneva, with many signs pointing to a deal.
Containment allows Israel to keep everything it has taken in Jerusalem and the West Bank – with more to come — Marc Ellis, at Mondo
Can President Obama’s secret aid plan and Europe’s constructive engagement trump the will of alliance between Israel and Middle Easter dictators? Stay tuned – with little hope.
It has been more than two years since a wave of revolts and demonstrations hit a number of Arab countries calling for dignity, freedom and justice. With persistence and determination protestors in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya succeeded in toppling their long ruling dictators, no longer tolerating being misrepresented or oppressed by tyrants. However, the main question we pose in this article is: with the change of political climate in the Middle East, what effect has the Arab Spring had on Palestinian refugees’ hope of return?
Secretary of State John Kerry actually believes that this latest iteration of the decades-old industry known as the “peace process” might really succeed. But unfortunately for him, Kerry’s political calculations are about to run aground on the unforgiving shoals of political reality. These talks are doomed to the same failure as the 22 years of failed diplomacy that precedes them.
American law stipulates that foreign aid is cut-off in the event of a military coup–but in the case of Egypt, that won’t happen. Too much is at stake for U.S. elite interests–namely Israel, the Suez Canal and influence in the Middle East–for a military aid cut-off to actually go through. In fact, Secretary of State John Kerry already signed off on $1.3 billion in aid to the Egyptian armed forces this year. Above, Egyptian protesters celebrate after Mohamed Morsi was deposed from power.
I loathe the premise that people of colour should be ‘grateful’ that others are taking notice of their subjugation, or that they should bite their tongues and clench their fists and instead show gratitude because their varied plights are being in some way ‘acknowledged‘ by others.
Here’s the story of Amina Tyler, a 19-year- young woman who has brewed a storm of controversy in Tunisia. Tyler around 10 days ago posted two photos of herself topless on Facebook. The first image showed Amina with the words “F*** your morals” written across her chest. The second has the words “My body belongs to me and is not the source of anyone’s honor” written in Arabic.
Unconditional American support only goes so far when the rest of the world is turning against you. That’s why Barack Obama went to Israel– to try and help Israel break out of its deepening political loneliness with an effort to jumpstart negotiations and reconcile Turkey to Israel. Will it work? By most indications, Israel’s actions and political system will continue to isolate the country.
Peter Rugh interviews Omar Barghouti about the Brooklyn College controversy, the global BDS movement and the Arab Spring rebellions across the Arab world.
“Westernized” is very often the first accusation pointed in your face when attempting to discuss or even try to raise gender matters in our society.” Especially if it stems from someone who has just come back from abroad, let alone it being a woman. I cannot deny that being abroad for the first time in my whole life has put me in a very serious confrontation with my own identity not only as a Palestinian, or as a Muslim but also as a woman.
Following air strikes Sunday by the Syrian military on the country’s largest refugee camp, Palestinians are fleeing from the relative shelter of refugee status in Syria to strapped aid services in Lebanon. Once home to 150,000 refugees, Yarmouk camp in Damascus has emptied with Palestinian leaving en masse for the first time since violence erupted two years ago for the ouster of President Bashar al-Assad.
Gaza commemorates the 25th anniversary of the First Intifada and of the founding of Hamas with the arrival of Khaled Meshaal
After the assault on Gaza was over, The New York Times printed a story pointing to Iran as a motivation for why Israel waged its assault. But a series of analysts dispute that claim for various reasons.
Army Occupies School In Jenin Israeli soldiers invaded, on Tuesday evening, a school east of Jenin city, in the northern part of the West Bank, and used it as a military post and monitoring tower. http://www.imemc.org/article/64551 Israeli forces detain 10-year-old … Continue reading
US immigration officials detain and interrogate Imran Khan about drones and who’s pushing the State Department
U.S. Immigration detained Imran Khan in Canada on Saturday as he was boarding a plane for New York to attend a fundraiser. They interrogated him for 2 hours over his views on drones. Khan made big waves last month leading … Continue reading
On Monday, Michael Oren, the Israeli ambassador to the United States, addressed a packed house at Congregation Beth Elohim in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Throughout the talk, Oren painted a picture of a blameless Israel, where a belligerent occupation, radical and racist settlers and the crippling blockade on Gaza didn’t exist. Above, Oren (center) poses with Rabbi Andy Bachman, on the right.
Both U.S. and Israeli ambassadors to the UN addressed Hezbollah at the UN Security Council meeting yesterday after Hezbollah Secretary General Hasan Nasrallah confirmed on Saturday it was Hezbollah who sent the drone shot down by Israel. U.S. Ambassador Susan … Continue reading
In a shocking radio address in Lebanon, Hezbollah’s Secretary-General Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah just announced the drone brought down by Israel last Saturday indeed originated from Hezbollah. Nasrallah also announced the drone was Irainian made but assembled by members of Hezbollah. … Continue reading
Check out this 18 minute anti Obama infomercial from RightChange.com titled “Absolutely Uncertain”.
Mousata Bayoumi says the anti-Muslim film attributed to causing mass protest in the Middle East is actually an “archly stupid” scapegoat that reflects the far-right’s influence over media, not unlike the “manufactured controversy over the ‘Ground Zero mosque.’”