- Why did ‘NYT’ serve as platform for ‘military propaganda’? 0
- Reluctantly taking down monstrous orientalist video, college union in Israel … 0
- George Orwell would hate Israel 6
- First photographs of ‘Arabs with Altitude’ and Palestinian flag … 0
- Exile and the Prophetic: Freeing the president 0
- Why Palestine is different 1
- PLO: Israel has built 16,000 settlement units over the past … 0
- SF officials describe ‘apartheid’ label as ‘intolerance alienating the Jewish … 27
- Two friends meet for 5 minutes in Jerusalem 1709
- Palestinian-American Raed Zidan plants flag on top of Everest, dedicates … 1362
- Christians denounce Israel’s manhandling of worshipers at Holy Sepulcher on … 952
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 810
- Washington Post’s racism map omits Israel 438
- Israeli report on al-Dura case is vengeful and ‘surreal,’ says … 401
- There’s been a sea change in US opinion on the … 314
- Video: Soldiers aim guns at fallen boy’s head outside West … 302
- Kennedy’s insistence on right of return prompted Ben-Gurion to rewrite … 106
- Abulhawa declines to ‘balance out’ several Israelis in ‘Al Jazeera’ … 94
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 93
- Washington Post’s racism map omits Israel 73
- Biden says Jewish ‘influence’ behind American cultural politics is ‘immense… … 57
- Two friends meet for 5 minutes in Jerusalem 54
- Israel cracks down on American travel to West Bank by … 50
- Both Massad, and ‘Open Zion’, ignore the experience of Middle … 49
- .@SamBahour: Why Palestine is different http://t.co/CmnxsX7z9n, 5 hours ago
- PLO: Israel has built 16,000 settlement units over the past 3 years http://t.co/FmdggAwUDR, 5 hours ago
- The Latest from Mondoweiss for 05/25/2013 - http://t.co/BewpNLCk98, 7 hours ago
- SF officials describe ‘apartheid’ label as ‘intolerance alienating the Jewish community’ http://t.co/gygE6OQrnP, 20 hours ago
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: Cpl Goldberg slams "veteran smear artist" https://t.co/Uc4sMIIv7E Yeah, about that... http://t.co/dTO4wxGpLF, 21 hours ago
click link to see last 100 comments
- George Orwell would hate Israel (6)
- MichaelSmith: Orwell was critical of Zionism in his day and had some understanding of its negative consequences....
- Cliff: In defense of liberty? LOL Israelis have never gotten shot in defense of liberty. They got shot stealing...
- Taxi: “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a...
- Why Palestine is different (1)
- Ramzi Jaber: Great article Sam. Thank you. Obama’s statement that “a *strong Jewish state* would ensure...
- SF officials describe ‘apartheid’ label as ‘intolerance alienating the Jewish community’ (27)
- In electric atmosphere, Medea Benjamin takes over the president’s speech (15)
- Kerry goes for the Hail Mary, but Obama is punting (45)
- Hostage: Sure we’re willing to make tough choices. The Jewish people are willing to accept the sacrifices...
- Weiner’s Park Ave apartment belongs to man whose ‘only agenda’ is Israel (24)
- upsidedownism: “Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota and other House Republicans, who suggested that...
- George Orwell would hate Israel (6)
Our WritersMore Writers
Category Archives: US Politics
Secretary of State John Kerry is making an all-out effort to restart peace negotiations between Israel and Palestine. Many well-intentioned people with hands-on experience in resolving other longstanding, global issues, like those of Ireland, South Africa, and U.S. civil rights have engaged in the Palestinian-Israeli issue. While there is always a great deal to learn from other global experiences, the case of Palestine is different and unless Secretary Kerry recognizes this all efforts will be in vain. Three issues related to this conflict that are crucial to understand are: historic guilt, colonial responsibility, and the U.S. “special relationship” with Israel.
Today, I bring you a hard-hitting work of in-depth political analysis re: Private First Class Bradley Manning. It seems some malcontents on the Board of San Francisco’s Gay Pride Parade have suggested Private Manning for Grand Marshal.
AIPAC is promoting Netanyahu as supportive of the peace process, but the statements of the rest of his government paint a very different picture.
“Notes on Palestine/Israel” is an annual publication put out by Cornell Students for Justice in Palestine. As campus Palestine activists, we are often accused of being unwilling and unable to “dialogue” reasonably with our Zionist counterparts so we open this volume of “Notes” with our analysis of the problems of engaging in such empty and token calls to dialogue. Dialogue in our view is not just mere claim and denial but an actual critical engagement with real political questions. With that in mind, we offer this volume of “Notes” as our dialogue.
My reflections on being a marginal Jew come from my pre-emptive victory shout-out for the Church of Scotland who kept the main thrust of “The Inheritance of Abraham” and then, lo and behold, yesterday it passed the General Assembly. A pre-emptive declaration of victory and a real one, too!
Code Pink’s Medea Benjamin interrupted President Obama several times during a speech at National Defense University on the ongoing “war on terror,” including U.S. drone policy and the Guantanamo Bay detention facility.
Glenn Greenwald wrote another of his important blowback articles this morning in the Guardian; Was the London killing of a British soldier ‘terrorism’? He asks an essential question concerning the definition and use of the term “terrorism”. The media in western societies should be scrutinizing this definition and the hypocrisy with which the term is applied.
Israel is making Kafka’s castle seem easy to access and navigate. But, then, Palestinians already live in a Kafkaesque world where their appeals to democracies and dictatorships end up in the same garbage can. Since we know that democracies can be imperial and colonial powers, democracies can likewise be regressive and enablers of regressive politics on distant shores. Israel may be a democracy for Jews but it increasingly acts like the only regressive democracy in the Middle East.
Kerry’s trip to the Middle East is either: Groundhog day to 1991, messianic, or a laughingstock. In any case, nothing will happen, experts say, without Obama showing a willingness to take on AIPAC and the Israeli government. And he won’t. Above, Benjamin Netanyahu speaks with Kerry during Holocaust Remembrance Day at the Yad Vashem memorial in Jerusalem, on April 8, 2013.
Israeli authorities have found another way to impede free access to the occupied territories for American travelers. Haaretz’s Amira Hass reported over the weekend that tourists from the U.S. have had to sign a declaration requiring them to obtain a military permit for travel to the occupied West Bank. It’s another example of Israeli restrictions on American travel to occupied Palestine, and it exposes a galling aspect of the “special relationship”: all the military aid and diplomatic support to Israel doesn’t shield Americans from being routinely discriminated against based on their political affiliations or ethnic background.
Jewish philanthropies stay away from org dedicated to Yiddish culture because it doesn’t focus on Israel or the Holocaust
Yiddishkayt’s Executive Director, Rob Adler-Peckerar, has written an interesting blog post explaining how Jewish philanthropies have all but ignored the Helix program because it does not focus on the Holocaust or Israel.
Reporters Without Borders on the Israeli al-Dura investigation: ‘the nature and substance of this report are questionable and give the impression of a smear operation’
Reporters Without Borders just released a statement on recently released Israeli investigation into the death of Muhammad al-Dura.
A cartoon from Katie Miranda looking at the changing meaning of the term “anti-Semitism.”
One day after the Palestinian flag reached the top of the world, a flag raising ceremony was held in Paterson, New Jersey (video 3:12) accompanied by the Palestinian national anthem and cheers of “Long Live Palestine”.
When a listener asks a question about public broadcasting’s debt to Zionist funders, the Diane Rehm show cuts him off
Fresh from its triumph in exposing the Mohammed al-Dura death hoax, a secret Israeli Government Commission is nearing the completion of an even more comprehensive investigation absolving the IDF of all deaths of civilians in Lebanon in 2006, Gaza in 2008-2009, the Mavi Marmara in 2010, and Gaza in November, 2012.
In the current media discourse the actual culture and history of the Arab Jews is completely ignored in favor of a bare-knuckles political approach that marks Jews and Arabs as separate categories. The narrative is one that has been constructed by the Zionists and leaves out the existential and cultural substance of the Sephardic community.
My father, Herbert Moore Ellis, died yesterday. There is darkness in my mind. There is also light. My father’s memory lives on.
New York City Councilman Lew Fidler is still outraged over the Brooklyn College panel that took place in February on the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement. In a letter sent in late April, the Assistant Majority Leader at the council suggests the hiring of a “professor from Israel” at Brooklyn College to correct what he calls bias in the school’s Political Science Department.
Al Jazeera pulled Joseph Massad’s article – “The Last of the Anti-Semites” – from their website yesterday. Massad’s article is disappearing. Like disappearing Palestine, it will reappear. Neither are going away.
In the wake of the horrific Nour Joudah case, in which an American teacher was refused entry to Palestine to resume her job this year, activists are ramping up their campaign to thwart the United States-Israel Strategic Partnership Act. The legislation would “codify into law U.S. acceptance of Israel’s discrimination and allow it to continue to deny visas to U.S. citizens,” according to a letter sent by a coalition of Palestine solidarity groups.
Joseph Massad’s contribution to the 65th anniversary of the Nakba, published on Al Jazeera’s website, is called “The Last of the Semites.” The subtitle is telling: “It is Israel’s claims that it represents and speaks for all Jews that are the most anti-Semitic claims of all.”
Turkish PM raises Mavi Marmara at White House press conf, calls grow for Obama to investigate killing of Furkan Doğan
Yesterday, President Obama held a joint press conference with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. Although the focus was on Syria, and the myriad scandals overtaking the White House in the past week, Israel/Palestine came up as well.
A coalition of civil rights and advocacy groups have charged that prolonged federal investigations of Palestine solidarity activism on campuses are chilling students’ constitutional rights. The letters, sent to the DOE civil rights division in San Francisco and the DOE’s assistant secretary for civil rights, are a response to the spate of Title VI civil rights complaints that have been filed by Jewish students who advocate for Israel.
CNN’s Anthony Bourdain is going to Israel and that is a really good thing.