Misrepresenting Charles Keating

A comment yesterday said I'm wrong about where Spitzer grew up.

"Spitzer grew up in the Bronx, a-----e. Where did you "gather"
that he grew up on Park Avenue? You're even less successful as a journalist
than you are as a husband/lover, so perhaps you should gather
a little more carefully."

Sounds like I'm wrong. But I deleted the post because it is signed
Charles Keating and Charles didn't write it. I believe
n censoring misrepresentation

"I've been posting on your blog for many months now. I always
address the issues raised by you and/or related
issues raised by fellow posters. I never toss out
vulgar or indeed any personal insults," Charles writes to me.

Much appreciated. I again apologize to readers that I don't do a
better job of monitoring this stuff. And to the people of Manhattan
for suggesting that they are in any way responsible for Spitzer...

1. David Brion Davis
    March 12, 2008, 11:50 am

The question remains, can anything Phil says be trusted when he can't get the most basic biographical details straight? He wanted to smear Spitzer as a "rich Jew" so he made up Park Avenue. For obvious reasons, The Bronx doesn't sound rich to most people.
    What a cowardly, sniveling, dishonest, self-righteous, ignorant, un-journalistic, lying sack of shit Philip Weiss is!

2. Tom
    March 12, 2008, 12:17 pm

Wow, David Brion Davis, you are an angry angry man. I feel sorry for your wife.Perhaps you should get a life.

3. Spitz
    March 12, 2008, 12:36 pm

I feel sorry for the wives of most of the posters on this blog.

4. Charles Keating
    March 12, 2008, 2:11 pm

Spitzer grew up in the Fieldston section of Riverdale, a well-to-do corner of the Bronx, where Eliot attended Horace Mann, a private school. link to lawdragon.com

5. Leila
    March 12, 2008, 2:23 pm

You know, folks, a blog is not a newspaper. It doesnt' usually have an editor. It is a forum for personal meanderings. Philip was speculating and musing on Eliot Spitzer, got his childhood neighborhood wrong, and took correction like a man. So he mouthed off. You let him know about it. That's how blogs work.

If you don't like the format then don't read the blog.

Trouble is, when you have the likes of Maureen Dowd, David Brooks and William Kristol mouthing off in the pages of our most revered newspaper, without any self correction or fact checking, then newspapers become little better than overpriced blogs; and as a corollary, blog readers become incensed when blogs are not free newspapers.

I suspect the people calling Weiss an names are just pissed off at the philosophical and moral questions he raises.

Why don't you put up your own post on your blog, answering him? Instead of impersonating others in comments in order to spew invective, which convinces no one of your argument. (If you have an argument)

6. David Brion Davis
    March 12, 2008, 2:37 pm

Fair enough, Leila. But then as the child of millionaire Lebanese drug dealers, you may have an odd perspective on things. Or did I get that detail wrong? Oh well.

7. Charles Keating
    March 12, 2008, 2:42 pm

While the Bronx as a whole is one of the poorest areas in the United States, there is wide variation between neighborhoods, including affluent areas such as Riverdale and Country Club.The Bronx is home to three of New York City's most elite private schools: Fieldston, Horace Mann, and Riverdale Country School. Horace Mann School is a part of the Ivy Preparatory School League, a division of the greater New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS), which comprises all the private schools in the New York State.

8. Charles Keating
    March 12, 2008, 2:47 pm

Phil may be speaking slightly poetically, but he knows what he is talking about. His defamers think the posters on his blogs are morons, which they are not.

9. Sim
    March 12, 2008, 4:35 pm

My research shows me that Riverdale, Fieldston, and Horace Mann are impoversihed public schools with 60% drop-out rates. That research may be flawed, but no more so than Phil's, when he "gathered" that Spitzer grew up on Park Avenue.
    Will somebody answer from whence he gathered that?

10. Crimson Ghost
    March 13, 2008, 9:26 am

Hoew many Americans know that ALL 5 members of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors — largely responsible for the collapse of the dollar and soaring inflation — are Jews.

Only 2 percent of the US population, but yet all 5 Federal Reserve governors are jews, including chairman Ben S. Bernanke and assistant chairman Donald L. Kohn. Others are: Kevin M. Warsh, Randall S. Kroszner and Frederick S. Mishkin. Not one gentile in the bunch.