I'm in Cairo, about to walk across town to see my president address the Muslim world. I know there's a lot of cynicism and hopelessness about this speech. Not here. I think my president knows exactly what's going on.
Mr. Obama, end the double narratives of Israel and Palestine. One is a narrative of democracy, one is a narrative of dispossession. They originate here and they both have truth in them. Israelis have brought western institutions, but to Jews only, and Palestinians have been dispossessed and smashed again and again; and the west ignores their situation; and the narrative is all the Palestinians have, and it imprisons them.
Reader, over here I have discovered that I am something of a Tom Friedman or an As'ad AbuKhalil when it comes to the Arab states. Egypt is no democracy, and its glorious monuments are monuments to slavery and the oppressor (the pyramids). This place needs political reform, but the neocon error, which gave rise to this site, was the belief that it could be done by force and exalting Israel. It must be done by example; and of course the greatest example would be for the U.S. to begin to impose international legal standards on Israel's behavior.
A letter to Obama urging the enforcement of international law, written by the deputy foreign minister of Hamas, was carried out from Gaza yesterday by Code Pink co-founder Medea Benjamin, who had led an international delegation to the blasted territory. She is going to deliver it to the U.S. Embassy today. It invokes Obama's background as a legal scholar and calls on "enlightened" world opinion to bring international legal standards to "our ground zero," as Hamas calls Gaza.
I've been there. It is their ground zero.
It is amazing that a feminist antiwar group should become the intermediaries on such an important outreach– and in fact the letter contains an invitation to come to Gaza from Hamas. But such is the stranglehold of the Israel lobby on our politics; everyone else is feckless, and so a group of pink-swathed feminists who joke with the Hamas security about their scary beards have become players.
The people in this part of the world are far better informed about the Israel lobby than Americans. Another pity.
The way to end the two narratives is to demonstrate the true greatness of liberal institutions to the Arab world. To bring justice, based on international legal standards, to the Palestinians.
Barack, you know this as well as I do. Open your heart to the Muslim world. I know you are bought and paid for, as any American politician is; but offer them glints of your understanding. It will be transformative.
- Students post eviction notices at U of Michigan dorms, draw … 5
- Mockupation Israel: IDF trains in Ashkelon playground because it ‘looks … 3
- Israeli government kills plan to uproot Bedouin 6
- Brandeis profs take side of ‘courageous’ Al Quds president, against … 6
- Swarthmore Hillel should invite Blumenthal and Abulhawa into the schoolhouse … 3
- Bill Keller says neocons are warmongers who trust Netanyahu more … 13
- From the Royal Albert Concert Hall to an Israeli Dungeon: … 15
- After attending Mandela’s memorial, Knesset member’s blood rejected in gov’t … 43
- Remember Mandela’s actions, Kerry urges Palestinians and Israelis 0
- Man of zeal? 0
- Fallows: A free society must reckon with Blumenthal’s book, as … 0
- Help send Netanyahu to the Mandela memorial! 0
- Kerry threatens to delay Palestinian prisoner release if PA refuses … 0
- On Human Rights Day, stop the blank check to Israel 0
- Obama and Kerry drop talk of Palestinian state for ‘state … 0
- Honor Mandela by viewing Palestine with the same moral clarity … 0
- Israeli report: Kerry proposed long-term Israeli military presence in the … 145
- Netanyahu’s ‘gift’ to Pope: book on Catholic church’s persecution of … 128
- Deconstructing Netanyahu’s tribute to Mandela 120
- Obama and Kerry drop talk of Palestinian state for ‘state … 88
- Obama’s Mandela eulogy — moving, and hypocritical 87
- Man of zeal? 85
- ‘NYT’ and Wash Post won’t tell us why Dems are … 83
- At New America Foundation, Max Blumenthal warns Israeli policy is … 76
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: @Mondoweiss @sjabulhawa I'm on board and Susan is in Philly. What do you say @SwatHillel?, 39 mins ago
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: The People, 1; Gatekeepers, 0 -- I was just informed that Goliath has been selling steadily and will enter a second printing in mid-January., 44 mins ago
- RT @ibnezra: Thinking about starting a Tumblr blog called: "Israel's Wall, in snow." Here is the first post. http://t.co/Is1dOUTPpz, 1 hour ago
- RT @AliAbunimah: There will not be a popular intifada before the Palestinian Authority is dissolved, writes @IyadBurnat http://t.co/Z5fPwFcD6r via @intifada, 2 hours ago
- .@SwatHillel yr stance helps free all Jews from the orthodoxy of Zionism that has blindered our community for decades http://t.co/GzuLZEUrfC, 2 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Israeli government kills plan to uproot Bedouin (6)
- DICKERSON3870: RE: “Israeli government kills plan to uproot Bedouin” MY COMMENT: I doubt that the plan...
- Students post eviction notices at U of Michigan dorms, draw attention to Palestinian plight (5)
- DICKERSON3870: RE: “[M]embers of Students Allied for Freedom and Equality (SAFE) dispersed the notices in the...
- Mockupation Israel: IDF trains in Ashkelon playground because it ‘looks like Gaza’ (3)
- DICKERSON3870: RE: “We’re reported extensively on IDF training exercises in the West Bank. Large swaths of...
- Protesters ask Target to drop Israeli settlement product SodaStream (34)
- Brandeis profs take side of ‘courageous’ Al Quds president, against their own president (6)
- Talkback: Bellamy salute in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Bellamy_salute
- After attending Mandela’s memorial, Knesset member’s blood rejected in gov’t drive because she is African (43)
- Shmuel: Thanks for the extra research, Ira. I took a quick look at the criteria in a few “western”...
- tree: The USA and Canada ban African blood donations to safeguard the blood supply against AIDS and other diseases....
- tree: The standards for accepting African blood in Israel are not dissimilar to the standards established for giving...
- Bill Keller says neocons are warmongers who trust Netanyahu more than Obama (13)
- DICKERSON3870: P.S. PUSH POLL – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P ush_poll
- Israeli government kills plan to uproot Bedouin (6)