I'm in Cairo, about to walk across town to see my president address the Muslim world. I know there's a lot of cynicism and hopelessness about this speech. Not here. I think my president knows exactly what's going on.
Mr. Obama, end the double narratives of Israel and Palestine. One is a narrative of democracy, one is a narrative of dispossession. They originate here and they both have truth in them. Israelis have brought western institutions, but to Jews only, and Palestinians have been dispossessed and smashed again and again; and the west ignores their situation; and the narrative is all the Palestinians have, and it imprisons them.
Reader, over here I have discovered that I am something of a Tom Friedman or an As'ad AbuKhalil when it comes to the Arab states. Egypt is no democracy, and its glorious monuments are monuments to slavery and the oppressor (the pyramids). This place needs political reform, but the neocon error, which gave rise to this site, was the belief that it could be done by force and exalting Israel. It must be done by example; and of course the greatest example would be for the U.S. to begin to impose international legal standards on Israel's behavior.
A letter to Obama urging the enforcement of international law, written by the deputy foreign minister of Hamas, was carried out from Gaza yesterday by Code Pink co-founder Medea Benjamin, who had led an international delegation to the blasted territory. She is going to deliver it to the U.S. Embassy today. It invokes Obama's background as a legal scholar and calls on "enlightened" world opinion to bring international legal standards to "our ground zero," as Hamas calls Gaza.
I've been there. It is their ground zero.
It is amazing that a feminist antiwar group should become the intermediaries on such an important outreach– and in fact the letter contains an invitation to come to Gaza from Hamas. But such is the stranglehold of the Israel lobby on our politics; everyone else is feckless, and so a group of pink-swathed feminists who joke with the Hamas security about their scary beards have become players.
The people in this part of the world are far better informed about the Israel lobby than Americans. Another pity.
The way to end the two narratives is to demonstrate the true greatness of liberal institutions to the Arab world. To bring justice, based on international legal standards, to the Palestinians.
Barack, you know this as well as I do. Open your heart to the Muslim world. I know you are bought and paid for, as any American politician is; but offer them glints of your understanding. It will be transformative.
- J Street cheerleading for Kerry features Congressman warning Palestinians will … 1
- Zirin challenges sportswriters to report Israeli violence against Palestinian soccer … 12
- Michael Ratner’s journey away from Zionism 23
- Israel is now attempting to ‘de-Arabize’ Palestinian Christians, but in … 25
- ‘This wall will fall’ (the writing on the wall, at … 7
- US Homeland Security investigates Israeli arms deal to Iran 29
- Video: 8-year-old boys stopped by soldiers– ‘you were about to … 36
- Marty Peretz’s message to Chris Hughes: Keep ‘The New Republic’ … 17
- A model factory for a colonialism in trouble: the SodaStream … 0
- ‘Apartheid on the Hill’: Students transform Tufts campus to highlight … 0
- Thousands denied water in Jerusalem as California Gov signs energy … 0
- ‘Daily Beast’ labels Abbas ‘stubborn’ for refusing to recognize Israel … 0
- On John Judis’s ‘Genesis,’ and its critics 0
- 2013 was record year in new settlement construction, and 2014 … 0
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department ‘midwives’ democracy 0
- ‘Netanyahu is a Nazi’: Scenes from an Orthodox anti-military draft … 0
- AIPAC reaches out to Christians with morphing Star of David 149
- ‘Daily Beast’ labels Abbas ‘stubborn’ for refusing to recognize Israel … 141
- Anti-anti-semitism: How did a movement against bigotry lend itself to … 119
- ‘Netanyahu is a Nazi’: Scenes from an Orthodox anti-military draft … 114
- Robert Caro, Nakba-denier 93
- Obama warns Israel about delegitimization, and Oren suggests annexation 93
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department ‘midwives’ democracy 92
- Pelosi calls Israel’s creation ‘the most spectacular political achievement of … 91
- RT @alexbkane: "How do we oppose a demand for one person, one vote?” Congressman Jerry Nadler summarizes the liberal Zionist quandry http://t.co/QtIemdtXzU, 38 mins ago
- RT @CornellSJP: Protect free speech on campus! http://t.co/RvdWb9G5UR @WRFIRadioNews @SJPNational, 38 mins ago
- J Street cheerleading for Kerry features Congressman warning Palestinians will demand the vote if two states fails http://t.co/LdipMdfzNR, 3 hours ago
- Dave Zirin (@EdgeofSports) challenges sportswriters to report Israeli violence against Palestinian soccer players http://t.co/Uw93TXGyFz, 5 hours ago
- RT @boun0479: Denver bus ad for justice in Palestine RT @EvaBartlettGaza:"@boun0479 http://t.co/qvCBDFnyPW" @MaxBlumenthal @Mondoweiss, 8 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Zirin challenges sportswriters to report Israeli violence against Palestinian soccer players (12)
- Israel is now attempting to ‘de-Arabize’ Palestinian Christians, but in the 1950s it was Jews from the Middle East (25)
- tokyobk: Read and understand a post before you use fancy or foreign words or accuse someone else of being daft. Free...
- Evangelicals who dissent from Christian Zionism wear ‘stain of indelible infamy,’ Israel says (76)
- ritzl: Agree mostly, except that they don’t seem to be afraid. That’s the insanity part, to me. For a...
- J Street cheerleading for Kerry features Congressman warning Palestinians will demand the vote if two states fails (1)
- ritzl: I know I’d have to ask them to get an answer/non-answer, but what does J-Street hope to accomplish with...
- Michael Ratner’s journey away from Zionism (23)
- German Lefty: @ Citizen People get interested in this subject for various reasons. I think that in most cases...
- seafoid: But it is not an identity that is mediated via the religion ? Judaism is supposed to be moral, good,...
- tree: I don’t think its religion, seafoid. I think its an identity issue. See Marqusee here: So what was the...
- On John Judis’s ‘Genesis,’ and its critics (61)
- Donald: Thanks tree. I think I’ve heard of Grodzinsky’s book, but haven’t gotten around to reading...