Well because that’s where the power is. The permanent Establishment in D.C. has a neoconservative flavor right now, Obama has to truckle to those folks. (Ask me why later.) The Foundation for Defense of Democracies is a neoconservative shop. It takes a hawkish stance on confronting Iran. The Obama aide is Gary Samore. The press release below. Two Israelis are confirmed speakers. Where’s the American realist? Where’s Trita Parsi of the National Iranian American Council?
Washington, D.C. (December 8, 2010)- On Monday, December 6th, Iran refused to discuss its nuclear program in its latest round of negotiations with Western powers. As in past talks that failed to persuade Tehran to abandon its nuclear program, U.S. and European leaders are once again facing long odds. Recognizing the urgency of the situation, FDD will devote its annual Washington Forum, which takes place December 8-10 in Washington, D.C., to Countering the Iranian Threat. U.S., European, and Israeli diplomats, members of Congress, intelligence specialists, military officials, and proliferation experts will explore the nature of the Iranian regime, and the policy options available to confront it.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Dr. Gary Samore, White House Coordinator of weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), Counter-terrorism and Arms Control
- Representative Pete Hoekstra (R-MI), Ranking Member, House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
- Representative Ted Deutch (D-FL), Member, Committee on Foreign Affairs, and Judiciary
- Ambassador Uri Lubrani, Iran Advisor to Israel’s Ministry of Defense and Israeli Ambassador to Iran before the 1979 Revolution
- Major General Yaakov Amidror, Former Head of the Israel Defense Force’s Research and Assessment Division, charged with preparing its National Intelligence Assessment