America is fed up with the ‘old man’s commiseration club’

Karen Kwiatkowski, former US Air Force lieutenant colonel, is fed up, at Lew Rockwell’s site:

Earlier this week I participated in a panel discussing military aid to Israel, and why it should be reduced drastically….

Far more vulnerable to an imminent pop, with few tears by average Americans, will be foreign financial aid to all countries, including Israel, the largest recipient of such aid. AIPAC is stale and aging, an old man’s commiseration club, sufferable only because it is habitual. Christian Zionists, some of whom I witnessed earlier this week engaged in verbal and physical violence towards a CNIF [Council for the National Interest Foundation] member, are losing their cool in more ways than one. For the first time, I met an infamous supporter of U.S. tax-funded assistance to Israel and its geographical expansion, a retired three star Army general and helpful contributor to our current pro-Israel policy that includes several wars and occupations in the Middle East, and our torture and rendition of detainees. He worked as a second to Stephen Cambone and was part of the neocon cadre so prominent in the Pentagon and Executive corridors in 2002 and afterwards. The portly and emotion-driven Jerry Boykin must have been a weak and angry shadow of his former self, I thought to myself.

But indeed, he is what he is, and what he always was. What changed was my perception of him, my new and concrete awareness that he was a fraud, a walking sale pitch for more war and war spending when, in fact, none was or is necessary. Oil will be pumped, processed and traded, and Israel will survive and prosper, even as the United States withdraws financial aid and symbols of military might from the region. The great build-up of bases in the region, from Saudi Arabia to Iraq, in Bahrain and Kuwait, in North Africa and Afghanistan – all without a serious defensive debate or justification is amazingly typical of a bubble in the months and years before it decisively collapses. It’s the hurry up and get on board phase of the Ponzi scheme, the mad rush to get in on the deal, because it is almost too good to be true.

Americans are beginning to ask questions, and the answers they are getting from the U.S. Government, the Israel lobby and Israel’s political leadership amount to “…move along, nothing to see here, folks.” When pressed for details, Americans are getting congressional obsfucation, bumper sticker-style labels, and a bit of self-righteous anger.

1. annie
    May 31, 2011, 11:09 pm

she’s one of the first people who turned me on to the neocons in the cheney admin. she’s awesome, what a breath of fresh air.

• Citizen
      June 1, 2011, 8:28 am

Yes, she’s long been a most courageous soul. Her work totally ignored by our MSM and our Congress.

• annie
        June 1, 2011, 2:10 pm

ignored? more like blacklisted.

2. bijou
    May 31, 2011, 11:12 pm

Kwiatkowski, not Kiatkowski. FYI.

• kylebisme
      June 1, 2011, 12:05 am

…and Lieutenant Colonel, not Lieutenant.

…and retired, not former.

3. Frankie P
    May 31, 2011, 11:22 pm

What is apparent to many who view this whole situation is that when the bubble is completely deflated and those Americans start demanding answers and actually doing some research to find them, the answers that they discover are going to anger them. AIPAC will become a hated target, and in my view, rightfully so; unfortunately, it won’t stop there, and American Jewry as a whole could very well be scapegoated for the misdeeds of a handful of powerful, wealthy Zionistas. Yes, real antisemitism could rear its ugly head, and when I say real antisemitism, I mean people who hate folks because they are Jewish, not someone who is hated by Jews, the current ridiculous manifestation. When will these American Jews realize that the people who claim to represent their interests are actually endangering them? It’s enigmatic.

My thanks to MRW for linking to Alan Hart’s website. I watched the panel with Gilad Atzmon and found it extremely interesting. I have since watched a number of the “Hart of the Matter” interviews, which I link to below. Watch the two with Ilan Pappe; he’s a levelheaded universalist who is not afraid to speak the truth about the situation, which puts him squarely at the top of the SHIT list.

link to alanhart.net

Frankie P

• annie
      June 1, 2011, 12:11 am

most americans are not that bigoted, they just are not. of course there will be ugly horrible things said, just look at the kind of sewer the islamophobics hang out in. it’s out there but it isn’t that majority. there will be a massive pushback against bigots if anyone tries blaming our jewish community for what’s happening. look at the christian zionists, there are millions more of them and they’ve been providing a lot of muscle on this project. it’s no good focusing on the possible fallout. just have faith we are strong enough to overcome a lobby without descending to the pits of hell. we can do it.

• Chaos4700
        June 1, 2011, 12:23 am

I think you underestimate the capacity for American ignorance, annie, and for how little a span of history it is between today and Mississippi, burning. Islamophobia was shockingly easy to fan and turn into voting power and policy — on a national level, no less — and the backlash will be twice as bad when Christian Zionists invariably turn on Jews.

• annie
        June 1, 2011, 12:45 am

we will have to tackle it when the time comes. we can’t appease warmongers and racists. we have to be the voice of reason and believe in people’s basic goodness. we just do.

• annie
        June 1, 2011, 12:47 am

check out this video from the panel Kwiatkowski participated in and linked to in her article. William J. Murray knocks Alison Weir’s camera across room at CNI press conference .

apparently the hall they rented was rented out by a group of zionists directly afterward and a mini scuffle broke out captured on film.

• Potsherd2
        June 1, 2011, 10:06 am

annie – you are naive. Racism is stamped into the American soul. Antisemitism is going the be the inevitable fallout – and rightly so, when you find an Israeli flag in almost every synagogue in the country. It’s not just a VERY VERY SMALL handful of Jewish billionaires. The typical US Jew, brainwashed on a constant diet of lies, stands firmly and complicitly behind the Israedolatry.

• libra
        June 1, 2011, 3:43 pm

Annie: “look at the christian zionists, there are millions more of them and they’ve been providing a lot of muscle on this project.”

Muscle maybe, but surely not even an ounce of brain? I don’t see anyone on Mondoweiss talking to them. Nor is Mondoweiss talking to the big Zionist donors and powerbrokers. It’s conversation is with Richard Witty and his ilk. If they withdrew their support, the influence of the Zionist lobby on US policy towards IP and the Middle East would be massively curtailed. If I’m wrong on that, then Richard really is wasting our time here. And more fool us.

Your absolutely right about Karen Kwiatowski though. I think she connects with people on the more traditional right who are disgusted with neo-conservatism. Particularly those who are aware of its Trotskyist roots and methods.

• pabelmont
      June 1, 2011, 8:03 am

Would Americans be more accommodating to the Lobby (and to Jews) or less — after the tragedy of Israel/Palestine had been made horribly clear to them — if they understood that the pro-Israel Lobby is funded (to the extent funded by Jews) by a VERY, VERY FEW, VERY, VERY RICH Jews (who arrogate to reflect the opinions of all USA Jews, but who do not in fact speak for all USA Jews) who are essentially similar (operationally within USA politics) to BIG BANKS, BIG ARMAMENTS, BIG OIL, BIG PHARMA, BIG AGRI?

Put another way, can we cure the dominance of (say) BIG OIL (to prevent action on climate change) without also curing the dominance of BIG ISRAEL (to prevent action on I/P peace with justice)?

June 1, 2011, 11:37 am

“American Jewry as a whole…”

Whew, I was getting worried for a second, but people can’t hate what they can’t find. Hell, Jews can’t even find it, and they invented it just a few years ago.

• MRW
      June 1, 2011, 1:38 pm

Frankie, Annie, and Chaos,

I would love to see a panel in Britain with Alan Hart, Gilad Atzmon, Sabbegh, Ilan Pappe, whoever else is hanging out there, and Phil Weiss, Adam Horowitz, and Jeffrey Blankfort. A no-holds-barred discussion for two hours, then a free-for-all with a Q&A, then an 1/2 hour round-up. (If speakers are smart, then never let their audience go home after a Q&A. The audience remembers the questions, not the speakers. Speakers should always come back to reinforce their POVs.)

I would contribute for our boys to go over there to do it. (Including Mooser and Danaa) Like a good party, you need every kind of personality.

4. Keith
    May 31, 2011, 11:45 pm

“Karen Kwiatkowski, former US Air Force lieutenant ….”

I believe that should state “a retired USAF lieutenant colonel.” I quoted her many threads ago in support of the geo-strategic impetus for the Iraq war. Apparently, she is now a columnist for Lew Rockwell’s anti-state, anti-war, pro-market website. For a putative progressive website to lovingly quote a free marketeer is cause for concern. We live in the age of rigged market capitalism, and her analysis is a tad shallow, bubbles providing opportunities for some.

• JewishAnarchist
      June 1, 2011, 2:19 am

It appears you are conflating state-capitalism with freed-markets. A common mistake but a mistake nonetheless. State-capitalism (what you are calling “market capitalism”) and freed markets are mutually exclusive… if you have one, you don’t have the other.

• Keith
        June 1, 2011, 12:16 pm

JEWISHANARCHIST- I am discussing capitalism the way it functions in the real world, not some theoretical wet dream. Markets are dominated by those with market power, and are the most effective means of social control yet devised. I take it that you are a believer in the invisible hand?

• MRW
        June 1, 2011, 1:48 pm

Keith, uhh….not exactly. Don’t whack JewishAnarchist so quickly. So that you don’t have to buy this fascinating book, take a look at this series on The Real News:
        link to therealnews.com

Ha-Joon Chang is difficult to understand, but so erudite and entertaining. (Transcript below the videos.)

The complete series is here:
        link to therealnews.com

• Keith
        June 1, 2011, 5:23 pm

MRW- “Keith, uhh….not exactly. Don’t whack JewishAnarchist so quickly.”

Perhaps if I knew what you were talking about I could better respond. Was it the phrase “rigged market capitalism” that JewishAnarchist twisted to mean “market capitalism?” What JA appears to be doing is to misrepresent me so as to defend anarchism using the argument in his link, that is, I am confusing corporate/state capitalism with “freed markets.” As if truly “free markets” are the solution to our economic problems. The anarchist notion of ideal free markets is an ideological construction without reference to empirical reality, a wet dream. Actually, the closer you get to truly free markets, the worse things become as cutthroat competition takes hold.

As for your link to Ha-Joon Chang, I fear that I don’t have the time right now. I am currently reading “Superclass” by David Rothkopf, with “Web of Debt” by Ellen Brown, and “13 Bankers: The Wall Street Takeover and the Next Financial Meltdown” by Simon Johnson on order. A book I highly recommend is “The Global Economic Crisis” by Michel Chossudovsky and Andrew Gavin Marshall. I don’t care much for most economists who are basically ideologues who earn their living misrepresenting reality in service to power.

We live in interesting times, we live in scary times, we live in dangerous times. The global economy is headed off a cliff due to the power of a rogue financial system. A global system financially united by a private banking system which more or less controls the economy for private gain. A debt based system where unsustainable compound interest accruals make a sustainable economy impossible. A worthy topic for discussion, however, to do so requires distilling and summarizing a Ha-Joon Chang into your own words. I’m game, however, it might be difficult to work that in to Mondoweiss’ Israel/Palestine emphasis.

• JewishAnarchist
        June 1, 2011, 5:24 pm

Keith, I think you’re misunderstanding my comment. I made no allusion to how capitalism functions in the real world (I certainly didn’t see anything in your previous comment that would lead me to believe this is something on which we disagree). The only part of your comment I was addressing was your conflating capitalism with the free market as if they were the same or even similar.

For instance, capitalism requires the state to enforce intellectual “property” laws so that corporations can charge a 1000% markup on a product and pay the people who made it pennies. Capitalism also requires the state to monopolize (or grant a monopoly) on the medium of exchange. It’s the power to loan money into existence that allows the corporate/political class to access and accumulate a disproportionate share of capital (at an artifically low rate). I could continue listing these aspects of capitalism but I’m sure you get the point. If you have these things, you don’t have a free market. Take away these things (and the other state-granted privileges) and you no longer have capitalism.

All I’m saying is that the terms have totally different meanings and to use them otherwise is to use them exactly as the corporate/political class wants them used.

And it depends on how you interpret the invisible hand metaphor but I definitely believe in cooperation without coercion. That’s not capitalism. Capitalism is the iron fist.

• Keith
        June 1, 2011, 7:02 pm

JEWISHANARCHIST- “I was addressing was your conflating capitalism with the free market as if they were the same or even similar.”

Ah, but I didn’t. I referred to Karen Kwiatkowski as a “free marketeer,” and to our current system as “rigged market capitalism,” hardly synonymous with a free market, which doesn’t exist. Apparently there was some confusion as to what I meant. I certainly don’t conflate anarchists with corporate capitalists, the two being very different. That better?

• MRW
        June 1, 2011, 8:46 pm

Keith, I agree with you absolutely about so-called free markets which is why I thought you might enjoy the wry Ha-Joon Chang, without having to read him. Haven’t read Superclass, although I know of RothKopf.

I’ve followed Ellen Brown for years, read Simon Johnson’s 13 Bankers, and am familiar with the writings of the people in Chossudovsky’s book. Curiously, it was Sir James Goldsmith in a one-hour interview on Nov 15, 1994 with Charlie Rose who warned, brilliantly, of all these things that would happen and no one listened. (He died two or three years later, some say mysteriously, but it’s listed officially as a heart attack.) You can watch him on Google video. The first 12 minutes here should convince you to watch the rest. The supreme high arrogance of Laura Tyson (who joins the conversation in the middle) as Clinton’s Chair of the Presidents Council of Economic Advisers is stunning. Everything Goldsmith predicted is coming true.

• Keith
        June 2, 2011, 12:20 am

MRW- Thanks for the link. Sir James Goldsmith appears to be a man of integrity who, in spite of his love of capitalism, feels compelled to point out the obvious truth of the matter. Chomsky was saying much the same at roughly the same time. I only watched half of the video, about 25 minutes. Listening to Laura Tyson lie her ass off made me nauseous. Is it possible that she believes the crap she was spouting? She is proof that a skilled dissembler can hold their own against fact filled rationality. The sad fact is that corporate/financial globalization is one of the greatest threats against the survival of the species, and needs to be stopped and rolled back. We need as much local autonomy as possible, not energy intensive trade dependencies and debt based financial servitude and control by the self-serving elites.

• ToivoS
      June 1, 2011, 3:33 am

As an old time lefty I continue to be amazed that I am cheering on right wingers like Michael Schuer, Karen Kwiatkowsky, Justin Raimondo, Eric Margolis, Ron Paul and others. I support them because they have very sensible antiwar credentials. We are such a pathetic minority we need to accept allies where we find them. It does not mean we have to abandon our concerns for social and economic equality in the US. But we should embrace them as allies on these other issues.

• Chaos4700
        June 1, 2011, 8:29 am

Hey, even us relatively young lefties are starting to reconsider things. I understand that Ron Paul’s stances on a lot of issues are antithetical to my positions as a socialist. But he is the only candidate with a shot at the White House who has promised categorically to end the wars, stop the “special relationship” and halt giveaways to the big corporations.

Sure, he might dismantle other mechanisms of the federal government that I think should stay there, but you know what? The federal government has become hopelessly corrupt. I don’t think there is any way to save the system in its current form so breaking it down and having the opportunity to rebuild it thereafter doesn’t sound so bad to me. And I’m not actually so staunch an idealogue that I refuse to acknowledge the possibility that Ron Paul is right about some things that I might be wrong about. If his solutions work and don’t cause strife, then great.

• Citizen
        June 1, 2011, 8:34 am

ToivoS, Ithink it’s working the other way too–Dennis Kucinich has growing support that does not come from the general left, but from the general right. That Kuncinich and Ron Paul have been working together is hopefully the sign of changing times.

• Sumud
        June 1, 2011, 11:16 am

Citizen ~ I listen to Scott Horton’s AntiWar Radio via podcast and he makes a point consistently that the political landscape in the US has become Dems+GOP vs. people like Kucinich and Ron Paul, or as he sometimes puts it “the war party” vs “the rest of us”. Describing the Democrats as left-wing is utter nonsense. The Dems and the GOP have zero respect for your constitution and zero concern with empire, endless wars of aggression and corporations hijacking government.

It’s time for a new American Revolution. The Arab Spring is intimately linked with America, and the cycle won’t be complete until you lot have also put out the trash.

• annie
        June 1, 2011, 11:39 am

i’m glad to hear this. it used to be we were on the fringe but i think we’re gaining ground. i’m way over the 2 party system like ….yesterday. and i used to be a solid dem. no more, i am now weened, the wot weened me…enough already!

• MRW
        June 1, 2011, 1:12 pm

Too bad Kucinich isn’t electable IMHO. He’s a good man, and he understands precisely what’s going on.

• annie
        June 1, 2011, 1:24 pm

i love kucinich. btw MRW, i responded to a comment you made yesterday on some long thread wrt the one time missing ‘recent comment’ feature on the front page. just wanted to make sure you were aware the feature is back up. it looks a little different but it is back now directly under the “Subscribe for updates ” function.

• MRW
        June 1, 2011, 1:30 pm

Yeah, Annie, I noticed that a few days ago. Glad it’s back, even if shortened. I guess the real estate goes to ads now. LOVE the anti-hypocrisy tool. Hope someone somewhere connected to Mondoweiss is archiving all the posts and comments in case something blows up.

• MRW
        June 1, 2011, 1:10 pm

Smart, ToivoS. At 3:33 am.

• MRW
      June 1, 2011, 12:58 pm

Keith,

I think you’re being shortsighted. (1) Kwiatkowski takes publishing avenues where she can get them, which are few. (2, and more importantly) That woman was the first person (person) to alert the world to Israeli Generals’ unfettered access to the Office of Special Plans — they didn’t even have to sign in, as regulations required — and our conduct of the Iraq War. She resigned so she could discuss it. I have a lot of respect for her, and I couldn’t care less if her only publishing venues were Arutz Sheva or David Duke’s sites.

I’m sure you and I and the rest of blog commenters here are sophisticated enough to take truth where we can find it. God knows we’re forced to trudge through lies in the NYT. So much for imprimaturs.

And to assume that people are unipolar because they may hold one POV among 250 is an asinine way to judge them in their totality.

• Duscany
      November 24, 2011, 2:09 am

“For a putative progressive website to lovingly quote a free marketeer is cause for concern.”

I don’t see any cause for concern when Weiss quotes a fearless clear-eyed woman.

5. Chaos4700
    May 31, 2011, 11:59 pm

I seem to recall someone talking about this theme here in a comment recently, and it also seems relevant to this article so I’ll go ahead and post it here:

Here On Earth: Radio Without Borders, May 24, “Chosen Peoples”

The idea of the chosen is everywhere in American and Israeli history, both trying to grasp the meaning of divine election and to bear its burden. We’ll examine the special relationship between the U.S. and Israel through the prism of their perceived special status as chosen peoples.

I haven’t had a chance to catch up on this via podcast yet, but WPR produces top notch programming and this series in particular is even-handed. I recommend checking out the episodes in the archives, particularly those from the “Inside Islam” series.

6. yourstruly
    June 1, 2011, 12:15 am

anerucans are getting congressional obfuscation, bumper-sticker labels & a lot of self-righteous anger?

as it was in egypt before the miracle of the nile?

similar outcome here?

any reason why not?

7. American
    June 1, 2011, 3:20 am

Israel alone isn’t the sum total of weapons industry lobby but it’s a important portion of it.
    To really appreciate all it’s tentacles you have to look at how it operates.
    And JINSA is a good example.
    Here for instance is their board of advisors. What they all have in common is they are either Jewish or they are retired military now working for or owning companies that supply the pentagon and military or are involved in various Police functions or Homeland Security consulting or businesses.
    They are current or former insiders with “contacts”.
    link to jinsa.org

Like AIPAC they infiltrate every possible avenue and group that they hope to influence to support Israel. For instance taking “Hispanic” groups to visit Israel to show them the need for US support of Israel.
    link to jinsa.org

One has to go thru the site to see how through these people are, they leave no stone unturned, thru Jewish loyalty or shared profit interest in war or flattery to only semi important groups who are impressed to be asked to particpate in something, they gather up any and all that could or would ever be of any use to Israel in ensuring it’s military supremacy and flow of US dollars and weapons to Israel.

Yep, this has to end, all of it, before it’s too late. If it isn’t too late already.

• GuiltyFeat
      June 1, 2011, 5:20 am

“To really appreciate all it’s [sic] tentacles you have to look at how it operates.”

I have little faith that the mods will let this through. Sadly too many people have cried wolf over anti-semitism that when a real incident rears its head, it is dismissed with the others. What is disappointing, though is that none of the non-Zionists will call American out for this language because they are afraid of alienating him and causing internal strife. Shame.

• Sumud
        June 1, 2011, 11:24 am

GuiltyFeat ~ Before you castigate others, how about you examine American’s claims on there own merits? If everything he/she claimed is true, is it still anti-semitism?

• GuiltyFeat
        June 1, 2011, 1:28 pm

The nature of the language negatively impacts the integrity of the claims.

A witness may say accurately “I think the mugger was an African American.” But if he says, “He was robbed by a f#$!ing n!$#ger” then he forfeits his right to give testimony.

Despite what you think, language is important.

• Woody Tanaka
        June 1, 2011, 3:52 pm

“But if he says, ‘He was robbed by a f#$!ing n!$#ger’ then he forfeits his right to give testimony.”

First, for you to compare American’s phrase to this slur is asinine, as they are not equivalent.

Further: No, he doesn’t forfeit his right to give testimony. All he has done is cast doubt upon his testimony in the eyes of the listener. But the use of language does not, in any event, change the truth of what happened.

So if you want to put your head in the sand about what American is talking about, that is your prerogative, but it doesn’t change the truth or falsity of that which American is discussing.

June 1, 2011, 11:44 am

Mr Newton, even if everything you say is true, your decision to describe the solar system in terms of of numbers and math strikes a basic blow at religion and God! Paints a very nasty picture!

Yes sir, I just love Guilty Feats interpretation. Now, all I have to do is pump out lots of anti-Semitic pamphlets and books. And whenever somebody criticises Zionism, or Jews or Israel, it should be (and I’ll make damn sure it is) easy to find a corresponding passage in my anti-Semitic tome, and therefore dismiss the criticism.

Man, for a professional Hasbarist, you are pathetic, Guilty Feat. You are gonna have to step it up a notch or two.

June 1, 2011, 11:46 am

“your decision to describe Israel in the same terms that appear in the Protocols”

Absolutely! From now on all criticism of Israel must be done in mime! And oh boy, is Marcel Marceau gonna be surprised when he’s put up on charges of anti-Semitism!

• MRW
        June 1, 2011, 1:02 pm

GuiltyFeat,

You wrote this to American: “American, even if everything you said is true, your decision to describe Israel in the same terms that appear in the Protocols and other racist publications paints a nasty picture.”

That’s your description and your problem (even if it is like exhuming the dead.)

American happens to be right about JINSA, and most of us who have been paying attention in this country for the last 15 years know it. Knowledgeable and honorable retired officers from our military sounded this bell long ago.

• Woody Tanaka
        June 1, 2011, 4:05 pm

That is absolute nonsense. The use of tentacles/octopi to describe a group that is powerful or manipulative is a very common metaphor. Here is one referencing Iran’s tentacles. Is that antisemitic??? The fact that the metaphor was once used by antisemites does not make the metaphor antisemitic. To think it is is a clear logical error.

This idea that it is okay to shut someone up or attack them by hinting that they are being antisemitic is become really popular around here and it is a disgusting, deplorable underhanded attack.

• GuiltyFeat
        June 2, 2011, 2:52 am

“What they all have in common is they are either Jewish or they are retired military”

Where is the evidence for this? I can see the names that have their former rank listed next to them, but I can’t see the other names with their religion listed next to them.

Everything about American’s statement is a racist assumption couched in racist terms.

I do not call anti-Semite easily and I’m not saying that American is an anti-Semite, but he is distressingly comfortable using the language of anti-Semites.

“Either Jewish or retired military”

Here a selection of names from the JINSA board that are not retired military, please tell me how American knows they are Jewish and why no one else in this thread challenged him on that statement:

J. Kenneth Blackwell
        John Bolton
        Beau Boulter
        Stephen Bryen
        Connie Mack
        Dave McCurdy
        Richard Perle
        Kenneth Timmerman
        R. James Woolsey

Do you still maintain that American’s unchallenged statement is fair and true?

• tree
        November 24, 2011, 3:42 am

The last time you you were posting regularly around here, you were pretty much calling everyone an anti-semite so please don’t pretend now that you don’t use the term “easily”. Oh course, that’s when you weren’t just taking personal offense at things that other posters said.

• Citizen
      June 1, 2011, 8:57 am

Good to know the new demography of the US is being instructed in the fact that “the system” includes genuflecting to a foreign country the size of a postage stamp–perhaps they now have been reminded that their favorite icon the Virgin Mary was a Jewess. Shouldn’t someone remind our new Latino political leaders that Collin Powell “went out of his way to identify the pro-war neoconservatives as affiliates of the Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs, a think-tank with decidedly hard-line views on Israel’s security. “Powell referred to Rumsfeld’s team as the ‘JINSA crowd.’ ” Later in “Soldier,” readers are told that the neoconservatives in the Defense Department — nearly all of them Jews — supported war against Iraq as the first step to replacing Arab despots with democratic governments that would sever their ties to the Palestinians, thereby enhancing Israel’s security. In explaining why he did not resign over his profound differences with the White House, Powell cited the example of Gen. George C. Marshall, who refused to quit as secretary of State even though he opposed President Truman’s recognition of Israel as a quest for “Jewish votes.”” link to wincoast.com..

8. hophmi
    June 1, 2011, 3:15 pm

“AIPAC is stale and aging, an old man’s commiseration club, sufferable only because it is habitual.”

LOL. The 10,000 people who attended its policy conference, including many college students, along with most of the Senate and Congress, beg to differ.

It’s funny that you guys can’t decide whether AIPAC is all-powerful or stale and aging. Sounds like a classic inferiority complex to me.

• Chaos4700
      June 1, 2011, 6:54 pm

Ronald Reagan was taking lots of naps while he was in the White House. You say that as if the two factors are mutually exclusive.

9. Edward Q
    June 1, 2011, 6:06 pm

Gen. Boykin made some pretty crazy remarks while he worked for the Bush administration such as “my God is better than their (Islam’s) God”. He is definitely a Dr. Strangelove type and unfortunately not the only one. I wonder how concentrated these people are in the military.

There is a man who has been trying to fight religious fundamentalism in the military but I forget his name.