A young American Jew describes being arrested for standing in opposition to the Jerusalem Day parade

The young man being arrested in the video above is Lucas Koerner, and he was a member of the delegation that I recently co-led to Israel/Palestine. Below is Lucas’s account of what took place in Jerusalem, which he originally posted on his blog.

Returning from Hebron Wednesday afternoon, I glanced outside my window, only to see miles and miles of blue and white. Today was Jerusalem Day, and a parade of thousands marched through the streets celebrating, as if in an orgy of nationalistic fervor, the 44th anniversary of the Israeli conquest of East Jerusalem. What shocked me initially was how eerily monolithic the procession was: it seemed as though the ocean of Israeli flags was meant to blur all distinctions between old and young, boss and worker, women and men, settler and 48er. In light of the events of recent days, I sensed a strong political undertone beneath the cheers and yells of the ecstatic crowds. Coming on the heels of Netanyahu’s defiant speech before Congress, it appeared to me that the marchers streaming down Sultan Suleiman St. that evening sought to echo their PM’s bold remarks, that all of Jerusalem was “theirs” forever. Indeed, it seemed that this display of triumphal nostalgia concealed a deeper, far weaker emotion, a lurking fear of a future in which nothing between the river and the sea would be exclusively “theirs” but would have to be shared with the other.

After witnessing first hand, over the past week and a half, the many horrors the occupation has inflicted on the Palestinian people, my fellow delegates and I trembled with indignation at the chutzpah of these Israeli marchers as they boisterously paraded through East Jerusalem, brandishing their flags of conquest. Prompted by the traffic to walk the rest of the way to our hotel, we were inspired to launch an impromptu parade of our own. Donning our keffiyehs we had purchased at the Hebron Keffiyeh factory and our small Palestinian flags, we we’re met by spit, aluminum cans, and pure, unadulterated hatred. Police instantly set upon us, accosting me, demanding that I put away my 3 by 5 inch Palestinian flag. It was remarkable how so much as giving voice to the other, the “Arab”, the Palestinian, in 3 by 5 form in E. Jerusalem no less could ignite such visceral fear and hatred.

Upon returning to the Holy Land Hotel, my comrades (Haneen, Amanda, Peter, Lydia, Tammy & Tiffany) and I decided that we would go back to the parade merely to hang out and observe, this time without our small Palestinian flags. In order to avoid any provocations, we simply posted up on the side walk, and, still wearing our keffiyehs, we proceeded to wave and make peace sign gestures to the paraders, who marched on the other side of the street, separated from us by a high gate. The initial reaction of the marchers was a combination of shock and disbelief. I myself had elected to wear, along with my keffiyeh, a kippah adorned with a small Palestinian flag. This last article of clothing on my head contributed, I believe, more than anything else to the climate of collective bewilderment, especially among the youth. For them, Judaism and its physical symbol, the kippah, were inseparably bound up with the particular strain of ethno-religious nationalism associated with the state of Israel. It simply never occurred to them that a Jewish person would, in the name of Jewish ethics, stand in solidarity with the oppressed Palestinian people in their struggle for freedom. I feel that it was precisely this cognitive dissonance on a societal level that formed the motivation for my arrest.

As we walked up and down the sidewalk, waving our peace signs, many Palestinians of all ages approached to join us. With twenty or thirty people now gathered on the sidewalk facing the parade, we turned over leadership of what had become a demonstration to Palestinian activists, and we happily clapped and danced to their songs and chants. Standing on two feet high pylons, we tried to maintain our visibility as internationals in order to confer as much protection as possible to the Palestinians. The demonstration remained totally peaceful – just singing, whistling, and clapping. In fact, much to the chagrin of the paraders, we often danced to their music. Many Palestinians, fascinated with my kippah, approached me and exclaimed, “I love you”. For a moment, a space was opened for Palestinians to freely gather in their own streets and protest, peacefully demanding their basic rights. We were soon to learn just how brief that moment would be.

Suddenly, the police moved in without warning of any kind. Officers on horseback came so close to the sidewalk, nearly hitting some of the demonstrators. I stepped down from the pylon. In that instant, my impulse to flee was counteracted by the firm realization that, standing on a sidewalk waving a peace sign, I had every right to be there, and if I fled, who would stand with the Palestinians? I stepped back up on the pylon. Moments later, an Israeli police officer ran up, seized me, and dragged me to the other side of the street. He then punched me in the face, put me in a choke hold, and with four other officers, slammed me to the ground. I was eventually handcuffed and carried to the car; I allowed my body to go limp and refused to walk on my own in a gesture of nonviolent defiance. Throughout the whole affair, the only thing audible coming from the policemen was a constant stream of curses words, “motherfucker”, “piece of shit”, etc., which was to me a ringing confirmation of how infuriated and threatened they were by a 19-year old wearing a kippah and a keffiyeh standing with the Palestinians.

To be continued in the next post: “In Israeli Jail”

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.
Posted in Israel/Palestine

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

1. MRW says:

I’m looking forward to the next installment. Bravo.

• israeli says:

the writer is really in the wrong place. I can understand the will to feel as some enlighten activist etc, but it’s really sounds like as you live inside a kind of action-movie (“comrades”…LOL).
      I can gauss that if I will come to America and I’ll organize a demonstration in the streets of Washington, without a permit\coordination with the police, and I will resist arrest the way you did – I would get the same reaction from the police, if not worse. You know, it’s not something personal against you, it’s not because you did some “daring” act as wearing a Cipa with a cafiyah on you (scarf-cafiyah is a popular item of clothing for Israeli Jews..lol), it’s just because you did something you confessed to do in the article – organize an “spontaneous” demonstration.

• Citizen says:

If you lived in the USA, israeli, you’d know that your request for a demonstration permit would not be turned down because of your ethnic/religious background, or because your views were unpopular. If it was turned down, you’d have quick access to the courts to have your civil rights upheld, and they would be. What Lucas is shown doing in the video clip is clearly well within his basic civil rights in America.

• Mooser says:

Might as well get this out of the way right now, cause it looks like it’s gonna be a long comment thread:

2. Linda J says:

That’s what I would call “staying human,” Lucas Koerner! My admiration and best wishes.

3. Shingo says:

What an amazing youg man!

He didn’t just talk tough, he maintained his convictions while beaten assaulted and beaten. That’s courage.

What a welcome he was given to the facist state of Israel. We’re going to see a lot more of these images – Israeli beating up and brutalizing Jews.

4. Bumblebye says:

A gang of uniformed thugs. This is how Israel treats the mildest forms of dissent? Even that takes some courage in Israel. An oppressive and increasingly extreme culture, so what happens to young Israelis and their potential future lives when they speak out? At least Lucas can go home to the US. What will have to happen there before the US government can ignore the Lobby, what would have to happen to shame the Lobby and shut it up even temporarily?

• James says:

“A gang of uniformed thugs. This is how Israel treats the mildest forms of dissent?” hey it’s a democracy, lol….

kudos to lucas!

• marc b. says:

incredible, lucas! (jeesh, an exclamation point.) he is a symbol of jewish moral strength and resilience, not these fragile, latte-drinking fascists in blue and white, whose ego crumbles under the weight of a single critical word.

5. eljay says:

>> … an Israeli police officer ran up, seized me, and dragged me to the other side of the street. He then punched me in the face, put me in a choke hold, and with four other officers, slammed me to the ground. I was eventually handcuffed and carried to the car … Throughout the whole affair, the only thing audible coming from the policemen was a constant stream of curses words, “motherfucker”, “piece of shit”, etc., which was to me a ringing confirmation of how infuriated and threatened they were by a 19-year old wearing a kippah and a keffiyeh standing with the Palestinians.

Clearly, solidarity and Hamas are to blame for the actions of these “generation to generation” fear-scarred, “Jewish state” thugs. >:-(

You are a brave young man, Mr. Koerner. Kudos to you.

6. Shunra says:

That is a very impressive video. And I think Mr. Kroener is correct about the cognitive dissonance of seeing a man wearing a yarmulke/kipa and saying what he did. I found myself responding quite viscerally to the way those two visual cues clashed.

It’s an impressive lesson.

7. HRK says:

What can I say–I’m truly amazed. When I was his age, I was magnitudes of times less mature.

Wow!

8. ToivoS says:

Wow. Impressive. It is amazing how the Israelis are turning the symbol of the star of David into a symbol of oppression. That is their choice, of course.

After all, they have the backing of the world’s major superpower. It comes down to don’t f*** with us because we have the US military behind us.

9. Seham says:

I LOVE this dude.

10. Seham says:

It’s interesting what’s happening with the Palestine/Israeli conflict ain’t it? After all these years and all the money that Israel has spent to spin their little propaganda all over the world on various types of media, I find *myself* actually feeling sorry for Jews that get their religion gets tarnished with the thuggish brutality of the Zionist state. Israel does to Jews what Bin Laden did to Muslims.

• Shingo says:

Hiw blog entry reveals a young man with a remarkable insight and perception:

• Kathleen says:

“I hate to sound patronising, but Lucas is teh epitome of everything that made Judaism such a powerful force throughout history. He is a credit to all Jews.”

Lucas is a credit to human kind. This myth fueling that Jews have as a collective group been involved with human rights issues is just that a myth. Ridiculous and inaccurate.

• Antidote says:

I basically agree it’s a myth, Kathleen. Disproportional Jewish promotion of human rights, equality, unrestricted immigration for all ethnic/religious groups, liberalism and communism (a secular version of Christian values) was and is, as far as I can tell, a feature that developed in the Diaspora, where Jews were always a small and frequently oppressed and persecuted minority of outliers. It was obviously in their self-interest, consciously or not, to support such values in order to simultaneously benefit and counter charges of selfish-clannish self-promotion (a frequent accusation of Gentiles who have forever accused Jews of wanting to rule over them whenever they pushed for equal rights, a suspicion supported by certain passages in the Torah and the Talmuds). But see what happens if a liberal American Jew goes to Israel to demand equal rights and unrestricted immigration/ROR for Palestinians. He gets beaten up and locked up. This clash between ‘Jewish values’ emphasized in the Diaspora and ‘Jewish values’ in the Jewish majority state was and is inevitable. I hasten to add that Christians were and are no more hypocritical about ‘Christian values’. Preaching Christian brotherhood and love was always shot through with elite concerns of ruling over pagan or otherwise heretical majorities and minorities. A history of bloodshed and oppression.

• hophmi says:

“This myth fueling that Jews have as a collective group been involved with human rights issues is just that a myth. Ridiculous and inaccurate.”

Fueling what? What myth? Who made up the myth? Who claims the myth?

Do you deny that there are a disproportionate number of Jews involved in human rights activism?

Do you deny that Jews were organizationally an integral part of the civil rights movement and disproportionate involved in the civil rights movement?

Do you deny that the most public support for the Part51 project came from Mike Bloomberg, a Jewish mayor?

Do you deny that Jews are disproportionate involved in social justice movement in the United States?

Do you deny that Jews are also disproportionately involved in the pro-Palestinian movement?

You seem obsessed with trying to make the case that Jews are somehow less involved in these causes than they actually are. What is your reason for this?

• Woody Tanaka says:

hophmi,

I think that a very good case could be made that Jews, when outside of Israel, are integral parts of human rights initiatives, whereas Jews inside Israel (or Jews outside Israel discussing situations in Israel) are supporters, beneficiaries and perpetrators of human rights violations against the Palestinians. Often, as with many of the Soviet Jews and American Jews, they are often one and the same person. (Cf., e.g., the “PEP” phenomenon.) It seems, from that argument, that the support for human rights would be not out of any sense of social justice, but from a practical sense of what benefits them. (When in the US, no mixing of religion and state; but in Israel, the state is defined by a particular religion.) I’m not sure I agree with this thinking in its entirety, but you would be a fool to deny that there is some kernel of truth to it.

• Kathleen says:

But do not hear Christians I know always repeating that they have a collective history of always standing up for the underdogs. If I did I would slam them. Because we know that Christianity has had a twisted and sordid past when it comes to human rights.

So get tired of the “Jewish identity” claim that Jews have this history of standing up as a collective unit for the human rights of others. Total hooey

• gazacalling says:

Thousands of years of history is way too much material to make effective generalizations about. So talking in terms of empirical history is nothing but myth-making.

However, should we think that myths are meaningless? Of course not. The true identity of Christians and Jews is standing up for the rights of the oppressed. Do they both violate this throughout their empirical histories? Of course. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that this is wrong according to their own beliefs.

This very myth, that standing up for the oppressed is what the good Christian and good Jew does, is constitutive of these religions and provides the resources for calling their members out for poor behavior, back to their true identity.

It’s a powerful thing to point out the perpetration of oppression by Christians and Jews as a deviation from their true essence. Isn’t it? The myths provide the language, the material, the images that will really resonate with anyone who takes these belief systems seriously.

Of course it is a myth, but it’s vital to recognize that there can be true and false myths — or better, that myths are on a continuum in which some are more true (reflect human experience better and more deeply) than others.

Why is Dostoyevsky better to read than superhero comic books? They are both literature, both fundamentally “untrue” on some level. Yet one is a deep reflection on human experience, while the other is usually silly wish-fulfillment.

When we talk about societies and social behavior, we are multiplying variables so exponentially fast — trying to include so many different people and actions and transactions and behaviors — that we inevitably have to cut things down to size, reduce things to patterns and stereotypes and myths. The only healthy way to do this is to do it self-consciously, to realize that your knowledge is incomplete and fragmentary, and that in large part you are in fact evaluating myths.

Yet some myths are better and more true than others, so they need to be evaluated. Living up to the demands of Christian belief or Jewish prophetism is difficult and flawed human beings will fail to do it even when they try.

But this doesn’t mean the attempt isn’t noble, or that we shouldn’t celebrate those who succeed! Lucas is the epitome of everything that made Judaism such a powerful force throughout history. He is a credit to all Jews!

• If there are Jewish people involved in the civil rights movement, then it is because they are Americans, democrats, liberals and most of all humanists. They happen to be Jewish, so what? There are also Christians, Buddhists and atheists. If you are trying to claim that Judaism is historically intrinsic to civil rights then it is at odds with the Judaism practiced in Israel. Conclusion: your religion might have values in common with civil rights and equality – it doesn’t mean you either practice them or that they ‘belong’ to your tradition, any more than any other cultural tradition. Certainly Israel is doing its best to trash the liberal Jewish values practiced in America, but American Jewishness hasn’t much in common with Israeli Jewishness. They are culturally different traditions.

• gazacalling says:

OK, that last part might be right. But the part that reduces striving for civil rights to “humanism” is wrong. The struggle for civil rights draws enormous strength from religious traditions. This is actually a historical fact.

What does “humanism” mean? It means standing up for the oppressed, for all human persons, just because they are persons, apart from whether we are in the same group. Right? Well, this idea is a powerfully religious idea, because it gives the reason behind this maxim, namely that everyone is a child of God, created in the image and likeness of God, and therefore deserves great respect. Can you detach this ideal of conduct from its religious grounding? Certainly you can try to do this, but that’s not the point. The point is that is an ideal of these religions, and that this is the ideal is undeniable. So when someone lives up to them, it brings credit on them and on their religious tradition, which preaches what they put in practice.

Only if you’re really biased against religion and want to always dismiss its importance this is hard to accept. It is unfortunate but true that the conduct of religious adherents give plenty of reason for cynicism and bias against it. But, there’s also plenty of examples of people who live up to the true essence of their religion, and this must be entered into the record.

• GalenSword says:

The cops were acting in the tradition of Polish Jewish communities, which as an autonomous elite group within Commonwealth Poland had the right and obligation to self-police and which tried to crush any deviance. Jews that reached out for universal justice typically rejected and were rejected by the Jewish community.

After the partitions of Poland the upper mercantile class lost control of the Jewish community and we see the development of Jewish radicalism in opposition to all Jewish traditions.

The dynamic among Zionism, Jewish radicalism, and various forms of Jewish traditionalism becomes very complex toward the end of the 19th century.

• Walid says:

Justice, for a change Hophmi is not that wrong; call it what you want and you can include or exclude the religion and ethics of it but any which way you look at it from the American experience, when it came to philantropy the Jews have always been at the head of the class. It’s not the baloney as some here are saying, from the perspective pf the Palestinian conflict, I’m seeing many more Jewish organizations trying to better the lives of the Palestinians than Arab ones. I’m sure we all know by name at least a dozen or so Jewish groups out of 30 or 40 working for the Palestinians’ human rights inside Israel and the WB; how many Arab ones do we know? Let’s not discredit the work of these Jewish organizations because of how we feel about the Zionist creeps. So the Jews brag about their collective human rights record, some have earned that right but it’s wrong to disparage or discredit a whole group based on the vile actions of some Israelis.

• I am not against religion, but most of modern ideas around emancipation, rights and equality stem from the Enlightenment. As does rationalism, the powerful force behind Marx and Freud, if you want two Jewish examples. Religion can give succour to radicals and conservatives, it doesn’t necessarily entail one or the other. That is a matter of interpretation. The Enlightenment, on the other hand, encouraged radical scepticism, as opposed to faith in authority and mythology.

• Citizen says:

Walid, those who constantly remind everybody they are the most charitable folks are not necessarily the most charitable, especially when it comes down to the actual and regular sacrifices made for charitable purposes. In point of fact Americans are by far the most charitable people in the world, and everyday
          low-income working class families are the most generous group in America, especially church-goers, and it’s not because of tax deuctions because they mostly don’t itemize their tax deductions. Details here: link to american.com

• gazacalling says:

Yeah, and let’s not forget that Zionism was thoroughly secular in its beginnings, though things changed after ’67.

• gazacalling says:

JWP, your comment seems exactly right to me. You seem to be admitting that the Enlightenment is unbalanced, however.

If one is truly going to align oneself with the oppressed, sometimes it will be necessary to be on the side of authority, other times on the side of radicals against authorities who are oppressive.

• Kris says:

“I’m sure we all know by name at least a dozen or so Jewish groups out of 30 or 40 working for the Palestinians’ human rights inside Israel and the WB; how many Arab ones do we know? ”

Surely you realize that Arabs working in the US for Palestinians’ human rights are at great risk of being accused of abetting “terrorism,” and being arrested and imprisoned? This is just one more example of AIPAC’s poisonous influence on our government.

Any Arab-American or Arab resident or visitor who speaks up at all for justice for Palestinians, or raises money for charity for Palestinians, is asking to be thrown into federal prison.

• ToivoS says:

Walid you should be ashamed to criticize Arab American support for Palestinians. Just look at what happened to Sami Al-Arian, the Florida professor who tried to help. He was arrested in 2003 and remains to this day in federal prison. Jews are free to raise funds for Palestinian causes — Moslems are not.

• Hostage says:

Phillip and a few others at this site repeat that hooey. No facts to back up such collective glorification.

There is a Jewish tradition, one of the “shared values”, regarding charitable works that might help explain why so many Jews are social activists or engage in philanthropy (more below). For example, the Talmud says that Tzedakah (charity) is equal to all the other commandments combined. Tzedakah and acts of kindness are the equivalent of all the mitzvot of the Torah. See Baba Batra 9a and Jerusalem Talmud, Pe’ah 1:1.

Jews were collectively discriminated against as a group throughout Christendom. Like the blacks who led their own US civil rights movement, it was mainly Jewish advocates who were responsible for the establishment of the 19th century and early 20th century “human rights” movement and the incorporation of minority rights in the international law of Europe. Jewish leaders in the communities of Western and Ottoman Europe, like (e.g. Lucien Wolf, worked on behalf of Jewish and other minorities that wanted to be integrated into the societies where they lived. They were responsible for the movements to provide international guarantees of equality for Muslim, Jewish, and other groups in the newly created states in Europe and the Ottoman Empire. See for example Oscar Isaiah Janowsky, The Jews and Minority Rights (1898-1919), Columbia University Press, 1933; Jacob Robinson, Max M. Laserson, Mark Vishniak, “Were The Minority Treaties a Failure?”, New York, Institute of Jewish Affairs of the American Jewish Congress and World Jewish Congress, 1943; and Carole Fink, Defending the Rights of Others: The Great Powers, the Jews, and International Minority Protection, 1878-1938, Cambridge University Press, 2006.

Robinson worked for the rights of others in a number of landmark cases, he also served as legal counsel for the Jewish Agency and as a member of the Israeli UN delegation. He continued to write about minority rights, but NOT about the minority protection plan in resolution 181(II) or Palestinian rights. So, there is evidence that he was swayed by his Zionist beliefs. There were non-Zionist Jews on the original Palestine Commission, like Sylvain Levi, who did speak out about the difficulties for the Arab inhabitants and the impact of the minority rights movement in the discussions regarding the Jewish national home held during the Versailles Peace Conference. He said:

At the present moment, some 600,000 or 700,000 Arabs only dwelt in that country, but it would be impossible for an equal number of Jews to adapt themselves to the same conditions of life, since they had in Europe, and especially in Western Europe, acquired certain methods of life which would not be satisfied by the conditions which were sufficient for the Arabs. In the third place, the masses of people who might wish to return to Palestine, would largely be drawn from those countries where they had been persecuted and ill-treated, and the mentality which such a regime was likely to engender could be easily realised. Those people would carry with them into Palestine highly explosive passions, conducive to very serious trouble in a country which might be likened to a concentration camp of Jewish refugees. … …For many years the Jews had, in the countries inhabited by them, claimed equality of rights, but those claims had not yet everywhere been admitted. Under the circumstances, it seemed to him shocking that the Jews, as soon as their rights of equality were about to be recognised in all countries of the world, should already seek to obtain exceptional privileges for themselves in Palestine.

American Jews have had a number of notable social activists and advocates that contributed in so many different areas that they are hard to classify or quantify, e.g. Howard Zinn. Many of us recall the three members of the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) , Michael Schwerner, Andrew Goodman and James Chaney who were murdered in Mississippi while looking into a KKK church bombing there that was intended to discourage black voter registration. Many Jews had instrumental or leadership roles in the civil rights movement. So, it may appear as though Jews were over-represented based upon the work of a handful of people. The Julius Rosenwald School Building Program (1912) has been called the “most influential philanthropic force that came to the aid of Negroes at that time.” It eventually provided seed grants for the construction of more than 5,300 buildings in 15 states, including schools, shops, and teachers’ houses which were built by and for African Americans. The co-founders of the NAACP included Chairman Joel Elias Spingarn, Stephen Wise, and Henry Moscowitz.

Jews were also active in other areas. Stephen Wise, Felix Frankfurter, and Morris Ernst co-founded the ACLU – and Ira Glasser was a long-time director. Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a co-founder of the Women’s Rights Project at the ACLU. Joe Levin was a co-founder of the Southern Poverty Law Center. Some of the early leaders of the women’s labor union and sufferage movements were Aletta Jacobs, Ernestine Rose, Hannah Greenbaum Solomon, Lillian Wald, Gertrude Weil, Rose Schneiderman, and Clara Lemlich. Other labor leaders include Morris Hillquit and Samuel Gompers. Leaders of the feminist movement included Betty Friedan, Gloria Steinem, and Bella Abzug.

• Walid says:

Toivo and Kris, I’m not talking about individual efforts like by al-Arian. There are many more such as the American-Palestinian teacher and Gaza fundraiser Riad Hamad that ended up at the bottom of Lady Bird Lake in East Austin 3 years ago supposedly a suicide that had duct-taped his face and hands before “drowning” himself. I’m aware of the risk for American Arabs trying to help Palestinians but I’m thinking back to before 911 when there were Arab organizations, but not that many. I was thinking more about those speaking out for Palestinian rights, like what Lucas and the Code Pink and similar groups are doing.

When it came to throwing money at the problem, none gave as much to Arafat as the Saudis but they never really took a firm political stand in favour of the Palestinians. I didn’t say anything about missing Muslims organizations. If you want to talk about shame, look at the money aspect of it and see how much and from where UNRWA’s annual budget of about $500+ millions is coming from. It was reported that “of the top 20 overall donors to UNRWA’s general fund in 2008, not one was from the Middle East. The US contributed $270 million, the EU countries $230 million; Jordan gave $233,551; Syria gave $118,719; Egypt gave $10,000; Lebanon gave $1,703; and Saudi Arabia gave nothing. The Vatican, on the other hand, gave $20,000.”

Canada for some reason left the UNRWA program this year. It could have something to do with its Christian Zionist P.M. that has very deep love for Israel. I felt that some here are taking a baseball bat to Jewish claims about their human rights record and unjustly denying the efforts of all those Jewish organizations helping the Palestinians. Why the fuss about what they brag about when we see the good that some of them are doing?

Citizen, I already knew the extent of American generosity and when I said the Jews were at the head of the class, I meant it on a per capita basis for this group. I don’t have actual figures but I feel that the 6 million Jews in America are carrying their weight when it comes to fundraising for non-Jewish organizations. There are many differences between American Jews and Zionist ones in Israel.

• Citizen says:

Justicewillprevail, how are the American Jews we’ve recognized as neocons and those that have been/are czars and key henchmen in our spreading police state under the Patriot Act & those pushing for internet censorship, all in the name of “homeland security,” reflecting American core constitutional values posited in the Bill Of Rights, and American culture?

• Citizen says:

Walid, if you would please read the article I linked to you will see that it acknowledges that wealthy folks give more to charity per capita than working class folks–they can afford to, and they are also much more likely to itemize their tax deductions (and do PR & networking). I was speaking of people with relatively little material wealth giving the most in terms of real material sacrifice–the article I linked to spells this out.

• They’re not, obviously. I wasn’t talking about those turncoats and foreign agents. I was talking about the people referred to here, who have joined the struggle for civil rights, as well as the many american jews who have no interest in the fundamentalists of Israel, but generally subscribe to the American principles of freedom and equality. The neocon warmakers and traitors do not, much as they like to think they do, represent Jewish values or American Jewish beliefs. They have hijacked, as Israel has, Judaism for their own political beliefs and self-aggrandisment.

• Walid says:

Citizen, I had read it before answering you. In principle we are talking about the same thing and while you are referring to the general and poorer church-going people that are good contributors to charities relative to their incomes, I was concentrating on the Jewish group that I believe are also good contributors to Jewish charities, of course, as well as non-Jewish ones because the rumble on this thread is about what Jews are doing. Some here believe that Jews have no business bragging and from where I’m standing I think that non-Israeli Jews do. It’s about differing opinions.

• Citizen says:

Walid, quit backtracking & hedging on what you originally said, which was that “any which way you look at it from the American experience, when it came to philantropy the Jews have always been at the head of the class.” The article I hot linked to in my intitial response to you above in this thread clearly conflicts with your shameless bold assertion. And anyone can go read that article and determine who really has earned the right to brag, if that were in their character–I will give a hint: not the ones who are always bragging.

• Citizen says:

See also The Art & Science of Philanthropy by Peter Frumpkin, which details many less than honorable and charitable strategic reasons for philanthropic donations, with plenty of real life sordid examples, naming names many here would recognize, such Mayor Blumberg and Michale Milkin. And we all know the kind of philanthropy that is essentially a way of political and economic networking, a sign of being part of the power clique.

• Walid says:

Citizen, I’m just having a bit of a problem explaining what’s on my mind. I don’t like bragging in general but it doesn’t annoy me as much as it amuses me to see others doing it. I go by the old J-C saying of “not letting thy left hand know what your right hand doeth”. The minute it does, it stops being a charitable act and it becomes an investment in something or other like you mentioned about Bloomberg et al and from my knowledge of Jews, based on their smaller numbers, they are heavy investors . You’re saying that non-Jews are bigger investors but more discreet ones. As there are more non-Jews in America, it makes you right. Maybe my knowledge of Jews is screwed up and in need of fine tuning.

• Citizen says:

Walid, you had no problem saying very clearly what was on your mind, and that was that no matter what way you look at it, American Jews were at the head of the class when it came to charitable giving. Again, the article I referenced (above here) directly disputes your assertion, and it speaks for itself, and contains its own credibility and authority, which anyone can go see is not pulled out of thin air like your statement. I was only the messenger, bringing said article here to juxtipose to your blanket bragging assertation, which cites no authority. Further, if my memory serves, the article parses the working class Americans who are the biggest charitable donors in terms of actual material sacrifice as between regular church goers and not, and concludes that certain Christian sects, and it names some of them, give a bit more than other sects, but does not suggest the group as a whole gives because of religious indocrination, suggesting their motive is one more of basic character, not religion. Hence, your reference to Matthew 6:3 is misleading in terms of the article’s content. Too, you might want to note:
          “he that gives a gift to his friend out of love, may make it known, , “but not if it be by way of alms”.”
          (p) Piske Tosephot in Sabbat. c. 1. art. 134.

• Walid says:

Citizen, what I said came from what I knew and I shouldn’t have made a blanket statement about their donations. You probably noticed that I never join discussions on Phil’s self-questioning of things Jewish. This is because I dont want a bloodied nose as I knew little about them. I should have remembered this when I got into this discussion. I’ll keep reminding myself to stay away from discussions on American Jews.

• Citizen says:

So, Walid you’re not from America? Do you live here? The blanket statement you made is constantly made in certain circles here. And never questioned. Phil is an American from a certain fairly insular Jewish childhood background, as he’s basically often said, and he’s been “putting away childish things,” and, so, in short, like many inquisitive Americans with moral/ethical character integrity, nobody can “keep him down on the farm.” He’s a good example of what is best about America. Lucus is following in his foot steps. A good Gentile American example is Alison Weir.

• Mooser says:

Hophmi, when did you pay off the mortgage and get the deed to Judaism? BTW pal, I own my house and property outright, but I still haven’t found a way to keep passer’s-by from saying “Jeez, what a dump!” if they want to.

• Mooser says:

“You seem obsessed with trying to make the case that Jews are somehow less involved in these causes than they actually are.”

And you seem obsessed with trying to make the case that Jews are somehow more involved in these causes than they actually are. And you just keep on fighting it out along those lines, Hophmi. I’m sure it’s a winning strategy.

Hophmi doesn’t care what Jews are noted for, as long as he can keep up two canards: First, that “Jews” somehow defines a group for his purposes, and two, that Jews are different from other people.
          Zionists do this because, as Hophmi makes perfectly obvious, Zionists own the Jews. Hophmi doesn’t care if Jews are hated or liked, as long as they are seen as different, and in the Zionists bailiwick.

• eGuard says:

(Oh please, mooser, stop it. Since this check it’s just too much. It’s not a once-in-a-while any more).

11. Woody Tanaka says:

Lucas, please take care of yourself. Those Israelis won’t blink twice about murdering an American in cold blood, if history is any guide.

12. American says:

I hope I live long enough to see Lucas Koernerpe become President of the US .
    More of a man at 19 than anything in Washington today.

Good for you Lucas.

13. sky7i says:

One altruist outshines and befuddles a thousand automatons, inspiring hope in humanity. Awesome!

• Walid says:

Bravo to Lucas and to all Jews of good will. What a difference beween him and the Zionist apologists lurking around Mondo.

14. talknic says:

Bravo

A fine example

There will be more

and more

and more

15. A fine young man! The way he was arrested you’d think they’re neutralising an axe wielding mass murderer! I felt like throwing up! I’m assuming he had no prior knowledge of how outspoken dissent is faced in Israel. Maybe he had already though unconsciously bought the idea that after all Israel is still a democracy where free speech is tolerated! Not so now, mind you!

16. Janet Green says:

Congratulations on standing up for human rights in such unfavourable circumstances.

17. Israelis love to celebrate their real live jewish heros, don’t they?

Now all they have to do is visit Lucas, in jail.

It reminds of Bono’s foolish question, where are the gandhi’s in the Israel/Palestine conflict?

Just like Mohandas Gandhi, they can be found in British built jails.

• Kathleen says:

Bono’s question was so foolish. So many Palestinian Gandhi “s thrown in Israeli prisons for decades.

The Gandhi approach is expanding. Tough for Israeli soldiers and officers to keep up with. Along with facts on the ground, arrest, protest getting out on the internet etc

• Mndwss says:

“Israelis love to celebrate their real live jewish heros, don’t they?”

Yes Mr. Koerner and people like him is now being hated as false prophets.

When Israel realize they can no longer continue their oppression and starts to behave, then they will claim that they have always supported these people.

It is sad that false prophets usually are dead for a long time before they are called true prophets.

• hophmi says:

He admits resisting arrest, and he admits not showing his passport when asked, a request that is perfect reasonable for a police officer to make of a person who is not a citizen, particularly in an area where security is a serious matter.

Most Americans who do this (and there have been plenty) are not bothered in any way. As usual, you all make judgments from the security of own homes about a society where heightened security is a real issue day-to-day. It is typical of a mindset that says it is perfectly OK for civilians to die so long as they are Israeli, and even better if they are Jews.

• Woody Tanaka says:

“It is typical of a mindset that says it is perfectly OK for civilians to die so long as they are Israeli, and even better if they are Jews.”

And people like Lucas, standing there with his Palestinian flag, might also steal Israel’s precious bodily fluids!!

• Citizen says:

Why did the Israeli cops ask for his passport when all he was doing was stating his POV on the Israeli government and US government in English?

• Mndwss says:

Resisting arrest?: “I allowed my body to go limp and refused to walk on my own in a gesture of nonviolent defiance.”

If you do not cooperate in your own strangulation and arrest, then you are resisting?

Resistance is futile. (Seven of Nine).

• Oh, such a feeble attempt, hoppy. Wrap yourself in some victimhood myths and lecture this brave guy on the rights of the thuggish police. Ha ha. But you are right, security is a real issue, especially for Palestinians constantly harassed and attacked, as well as those who support and defend them in the face of vicious and violent Israel goons who fear no retribution for their squalid racist actions.

• talknic says:

hophmi

Odd that the only folk we hear that from are folk like you.

To prove other wise, you could simply quote, verbatim, where you’ve heard it elsewhere…. thx

I’ll wait………..

• talknic says:

hophmi June 10, 2011 at 1:52 pm

“As usual, the arrest begins exactly at the point when police apprehend the subject, so that we have no idea what happened before that.”

Missed the start did you? BTW when else would an arrest begin? Before they get there. Get a proof reader for your nonsense.

” He admits resisting arrest”

Being arrested for resisting arrest is a rather interesting notion. think about it…….for a while…….a long while…… You can think?

” he admits not showing his passport when asked”

The officer said “Give me”. No please, no why.

Get your proof reader to clean your ears of the Hasbara issue ear wax

” a request that is perfect reasonable for a police officer to make of a person who is not a citizen”

Uh huh… NONE of the marchers or the officer are citizens of Palestine either (the status of Jerusalem has never been legally changed from being a part of the Class A Provisional State of Palestine. Israel did not declare it as a part of the State of Israel, the corpus separatum was not instituted and Israel has never legally annexed ANY territory to the extent of it’s declared, recognized, and confirmed sovereignty)

And no, it is not a reasonable request. “Excuse me sir, may I see your identification” is a reasonable request.

• eljay says:

>> It is typical of a mindset that says it is perfectly OK for civilians to die so long as they are Israeli, and even better if they are Jews.

I watched the same video and I don’t recall anyone anyone dying, anyone about to die or anyone being threatened by this young man. And he wasn’t even a dirty Ay-rab!

But, sure, a peaceful protest is just another Holocaust in the making. It figures that a cry of victimhood is the Zio-supremacist response to acts of unprovoked aggression carried out by members of their supremacist collective.

• annie says:

you could simply quote, verbatim, where you’ve heard it elsewhere

he hasn’t. he’s just calling his accusation a ‘mindset’ for rhetorical purposes. the only ‘mindset’ saying it is perfectly ok to kill jews is a nazi mindset. but he knows what a fool he’d sound like calling us nazis so he wraps it into his defense of israeli authority.

yawn

• Chaos4700 says:

And remember folks! Hophmi claims that he’s a lawyer!

• Mooser says:

“And remember folks! Hophmi claims that he’s a lawyer!”

Oh, he is, and Zionism is his client. And it’s his life-long job to argue that Jews should not be treated as individuals, but as the property of the state of Israel.

• Cliff says:

Hophmi is very eager to defend police brutality when it is carried out by Zionists.

Not Jews, because he doesn’t give a damn about ‘Jews’ – since that would include a anti-Zionist Jews.

The anti-Zionist movement owes a lot to Jewish intellectuals. Hophmi, being the fascist that he is – only considers Zionists like himself as Jews. Everyone else is a blah blah blah [whine whine whine].

Anyone else think hophmi is yonira? Both of them would come here and cry in every thread without saying anything.

18. Citizen says:

Go Lucus. You are more inspiring and courageous than our entire US government. You represent the highest Jewish and American values!

19. seafoid says:

Amos Oz covers the behaviour of the Cossacks in Poland/Russia as part of his family’s history in his autobiography ” a tale of love and darkness”.

The Cossacks would sweep into the shtetl and unleash waves of brutality against the defenceless Jews.

Now it’s Israel doing the same.

20. eGuard says:

Curiously enough, the earlier video here yom yeru 2011 has received only 17k views since posting on June 1. This one, posted June 8, 18k. I suspect the YouTube counting.

• Kathleen says:

A few years back someone tried to explain to me (I am basically technically challenged) how you tube and others break the hits up so the number count is not accurate

21. Kathleen says:

What the hell did this young man do? Looks like nothing except tell the truth. What were the charges? Is he still in jail? What is going on with him now? The Israeli police were so friggin aggressive yanked him right out of that crowd. Let’s get him on Amy Goodmans Democracy Now. Contact Democracy Now. So easy. Let’s get this young man his cause and his violent arrest in the news some more.
    link to democracynow.org

To think this is what Israeli police do in broad daylight to a young Jewish man protesting the occupation and telling the truth. Not hard to believe the reports about abuse, torture in their prisons. Brutal and angry officers.

SPREAD THIS VIDEO AROUND. I just took it over to numerous other sites including (Washington Note, Race for Iran, Hardball) Go lateral, viral with this clip of abuse for speaking the truth.

22. Kathleen says:

Hope someone calls C Spans Washington Journal in the next few mornings and brings up this violent and looked like unnecessary arrest. Not like Washington Journal would have this young man on but getting what happened out there is so important. C spans Washington Journal is under attack by the organization Camera.
    link to camera.org
    They are trying to shut down the bit of factual information getting through via callers by claiming that callers are the same people Myron Kaplan at Camera defines all callers who bring up this critical issue with legitimate criticism as anti semitic, anti Israel and anti Jewish. You can see so clearly how the I lobby has shut down this debate and the facts for decades

Keep calling Washington Journal and bringing up the facts, Mondoweiss, If Americans Knew and other sites that deal with this issue honestly. Washington Journal is the only MSM outlet where facts about this conflict can get through. Go for it. Call and bring this young mans arrest up.

23. Shingo says:

The over reactions by the cops is so indicative of the over reaction the IDF have to provocation, even when it’s not provocation. This young man did nothign illegal, but hey, the cops had to defend themselves right and why should they use proportionate force?

24. Kathleen says:

Arrest of Lucas
    link to livefromoccupiedpalestine.blogspot.com

Sure do not see the Israeli police ripping any of these young people from the crowds for screaming “death to Arabs” “burn their villages” “slaughter Arabs”

Lucas gets aggressively pushed, handled and then brutally arrested for saying “not in my name”
    Aye yi yi

25. annie says:

bravo! an excellent way to start my day! thank you wonderful lucas!

26. Kathleen says:

More on Lucas being arrested
    link to desertpeace.wordpress.com

Poets for Palestine at Hampshire College
    link to whynotnews.org

Can’t even pull up the clip on google by switching different variations of these wordsyou tube lucas Koerner arrest in Israel not in my name

When I go to the you tube page and put in Lucas Koerner arrest not in my name. Nothing. Switched words. Nothing. Now as I said above I am technically challenged. But as Eli Pariser points out in the below clip, hope folks will go google this arrest and see what you pull up. How are they filtering information like this arrest?

Just a while back watched a clip of Move On Eli Pariser describing internet “filter bubbles” And how information on the web can be blocked, filtered, controlled
    Eli Pariser “filter bubbles”

• petersz says:

Just watch this video showing Netanyahu’s speech being mixed with Lucas Koerner’s arrest. I like it when Netenyahu says Israel is a real “democracy” with all the fawning Congressmen and then shows Lucas being grabbed and pinned to the ground by Zio police thugs for doing nothing more than peacefully protesting. Reminds you of the sort of incident that was only too typical of a certain European country in the 1930s which was by then very far from being a democracy!

• Kathleen says:

So the Israeli cop or agent in the blue shirt looks like the same officer who first makes an aggressive move on Lucas in both incidents. Is it the same man? Sure looks like it. Lucas non violent methods really pisses this Israeli cop off

• Walid says:

About bubbles and how people are directed either towards or away from specific causes, keep in mind that Pariser of Move-On Org (Obama’s lead fundraiser org) and his Canadian partner Patel at the international affiliate, Avaaz, with a combined following of several million members are on the Advisory Council of J Street. Your man is an expert on bubbles.

• Kathleen says:

It is an interesting topic though. I find it interesting that I can not find the Lucas video at you tube. Can you go there and find it easily?

27. uribs says:

Just wanted to say thank you, Lucas. As an Israeli who is very ashamed of what is going on here, we need you around. Take care!

• Kathleen says:

cool…so glad that he has some Israeli’s support. Can you let the Israeli police know what you think about his brutal arrest. Demonstrate your support there? Stay human

28. Kathleen says:

Just wondering about this control and filtering of information on the web. Can not pull anything up at you tube when I put in “Lucas Koerner arrest in Israel”

Please give this a shot and see what you pull up?

29. Kathleen says:

“I stepped back up on the pylon. Moments later, an Israeli police officer ran up, seized me, and dragged me to the other side of the street. He then punched me in the face, put me in a choke hold, and with four other officers, slammed me to the ground. I was eventually handcuffed and carried to the car; I allowed my body to go limp and refused to walk on my own in a gesture of nonviolent defiance. Throughout the whole affair, the only thing audible coming from the policemen was a constant stream of curses words, “motherfucker”, “piece of shit”, etc., which was to me a ringing confirmation of how infuriated and threatened they were by a 19-year old wearing a kippah and a keffiyeh standing with the Palestinians.

To be continued in the next post: “In Israeli Jail””

Really want to hear what is happening to Lucas. What a brave and committed young man. Get this story everywhere you can.

To think the Israeli youth can shout “kill the Arabs” “burn their villages” “slaughter the Arabs” And then they brutally arrest a young Jewish man for peaceful non violent protesting.

30. James North says:

Richard Witty said, ‘This brave young man’s actions and testimony are my worst nightmare. If the Israeli police beat a young, kippah-wearing Jewish man in broad daylight in front of the cameras, what did they do in Gaza, at night, after they refused entry to the press?
    ‘My pious exhortations to “make the better argument” fall a little flat here. That’s exactly what he was trying to do before they assaulted him.
    ‘You won’t see me trying to threadjack this discussion! I’ll hide elsewhere on the site until this blows over.’

• Chaos4700 says:

Bingo! I suppose if we’re lucky, he’ll show on this thread long enough to whine about how you’re treating ME! ME! ME! and swoon decorously about what a martyr he is. He, of course, will never acknowledge that this young in this article even exists, because then Witty would have to confront the fact that he DOES exist and, being the embodiment of everything Witty’s straw man arguments bemoan that everyone in the conflict should be, this man speaks out against everything Witty stands for.

In other words, this man is Gandhi and Witty is a British imperialist.

• eljay says:

>> James North June 10, 2011 at 9:41 am

Yup.

• libra says:

James,

It’s good of you to stand in for Richard during these troubling times. He really was quite badly affected for a few days after IDF soldiers shot dead 23 unarmed Palestinian protestors at the weekend. So imagine how he must be feeling after the manhandling and arrest by Israeli police of this nice Jewish-American boy. Why, he could almost be Richard’s own son.

I’m sure Richard admires this young man’s courage and articulate advocacy of his cause (perhaps even bringing back nostalgic memories of his own youthful, unalloyed liberalism). However, I think it would be unfair if his absence from the comments here at Mondoweiss is interpreted as agreement with what was said in this video. In particular, I feel I must point out that as a liberal Zionist he doesn’t bother with the emotionally laden language of “morally reprehensible”.

• eljay says:

Don’t be surprised if RW condemns Mr. Koerner for being part of “solidarity” which, in RW’s opinion, is nothing but destabilizing maximalism.

Also, don’t be surprised if, hypocritically, he ignores the violent solidarity of the officers who are stomping all over Mr. Koerner and his right to free speech and peaceful protest in “the only democracy in the Middle East”.

31. Taxi says:

“Palestinians, fascinated with my kippah, approached me and exclaimed, “I love you”.”

Me too. I love you. You are amazing! The jews WILL have a decent future despite the crimes of israel and zionism – exactly because of young American jews like you dear Lucus.

Wow you are beautiful and brave and brilliant!

May you go forth in peace and multiply.

32. jonah says:

This young American man is very ingenuous and blinded by his own beliefs, as actually young (and not only young) leftist activists usually are. He should try to understand the world, namely the Middle East world, before loudly shouting his trite slogans (“apartheit”, “right of retourn” and so on). He should maybe try to go yelling for freedom and human rights in Jisr ash-Shughur or any other Syrian city and hope to get out alive from his humanitarian journey. But of course this will never happen: Israel is and remains the ideal favourite travel destination of these Western human right activists desiderous of a a bit action against the cruel “Zionist oppressor”, without taking too much risk.
    Good for a his own blog and the delighted approval of like-minded fellows.

• Bumblebye says:

Jonah said: “There are worse offenders in the world than Israel, go fix them first before you dare turn your attention to Israel, despite it commiting its crimes in your name and with your parents tax dollars.”

• Taxi says:

Actually in Syria, Lucas will be allowed to say anything he wants about the ‘khkhkhite ov khiturn’ and scream his lungs out about ‘abartide’ without being arrested for it.

But he will indeed get the same brutal treatment form the syrian Gabas (Brit slang for police) if he indeed critiqued the government in public.

So like the only difference between the thuggish israeli and syrian police, is the color and design of their uniforms.

Both are hated for their violence and torture and murder of peaceful protesters.

You can smugly look down on the age of the protestor (agism?) all you like, you can call him a leftie or a rightie or an unpsidedownie all you like: it won’t stop him – clearly your opinion is inconsequential.

Because even a five year old can tell that all you’re doing is attacking the messenger instead of responding in good faith to THE message.

And the message is?……..

GAME OVER MISTER OCCUPIER!

Now start packing your settler bags and start looking for alternative suitable accommodation by this Christmas.

• Woody Tanaka says:

“This young American man is very ingenuous and blinded by his own beliefs, as actually young (and not only young) leftist activists usually are.”

Yeah, a belief in the common humanity and rights of all, including Palestinians. I know it’s a strange concept to the Zionists, but imagine a bit. It’s pretty easy once you put down your bigotry.

“He should try to understand the world, namely the Middle East world, before loudly shouting his trite slogans (“apartheit”, “right of retourn” and so on)”

No, he does understand the world, that’s why he shouts those things.

“He should maybe try to go yelling for freedom and human rights in Jisr ash-Shughur or any other Syrian city and hope to get out alive from his humanitarian journey.”

Do the fascists in Syria claim to be the homeland for Lucas? No. But the fascists in Israel do. Sounds like the perfect reasons to fight the fascists in Israel and leave the fight in Syria to the Syrians.

“But of course this will never happen: Israel is and remains the ideal favourite travel destination of these Western human right activists desiderous of a a bit action against the cruel “Zionist oppressor”, without taking too much risk.”

Tell Rachel Corrie or Furkan Doğan about the lack of risk. Oh, that’s right. You can’t. They were murdered in cold blood by the Judeo-fascists…

“Good for a his own blog and the delighted approval of like-minded fellows.”

Good for the decent people in the world. Which, of course, eliminates 95% of all Zionists…

• Theo says:

I am not young and not what you may call a leftist, however I admire the courage of that young jew who has the guts to take the side of the weaker. The best he could do is to take a few likeminded friends and do the same in the front of the WH in Washington.
      The scene most likely will repeat itself, several burly policemen will jump him as we have a free country only on paper.

• James says:

“blinded by his own beliefs”……….geez, where have we been seeing this on a nationalist level recently?????????????

• Mooser says:

“blinded by his own beliefs”……….

Gosh, I’m so confused! I thought that’s what Zionists are supposed to be? I mean, dream, work, and prevail over the odds and all the nay-sayers to make the new Zion? And now this is a bad thing? Oy!

• eljay says:

>> He should maybe try to go yelling for freedom and human rights in Jisr ash-Shughur or any other Syrian city and hope to get out alive from his humanitarian journey. But of course this will never happen: Israel is and remains the ideal favourite travel destination of these Western human right activists desiderous of a a bit action against the cruel “Zionist oppressor”, without taking too much risk.

So, to sum up: We’re not as good as the best but, hey, at least we’re not as bad as the worst!

That sure is something to be proud of, especially in the “only democracy in the Middle East”, supremacist “Jewish state” of Israel.

33. Kathleen says:

Folks in 4o minutes the international round up will be live on the Diane Rehm show. Calling, emailing, tweeting a comment about the above story or any other recent story about the I/P conflict can be effective when millions hear this information. I have been able to get through more than my share over the last ten years about the I/P conflict and many other issues. My strategy with screeners (Dorie at the Rehm show is fair and balanced, of course the show loves FIRST TIME CALLERS)always be polite. Get a piece of information through (Lucas Koerner being arrested while young Israeli supporters can scream violent statements about Arabs and no arrest etc) You could also mention MONDOWEISS…IF AMERICAN KNEW ETC and then ask the guest a question about the issue.

With a screener make it short, clear and accurate.

So again in 30 minutes you can call 1-800- 433-8850 or email [email protected]. I am not a tweeter but go right ahead. Lets get Lucas arrest on the Rehm show..make the issue broader than just his arrest.

You can also put up comments at the Rehm site
    link to thedianerehmshow.org

• Kathleen says:

of course when you are calling just keep pushing redial. Get several phones going if you really want on. Sometimes you end up on a busy stagnant line. Redial the numbers directly. Use the national news that is open to get relevant, accurate information through.

Give it a try. Good luck

• saritalr says:

Kathleen – I was listening to the DR show yesterday (although not keeping up with this thread) and heard you (or someone else) mention Mondoweiss. Wonderful job!!! You spoke clearly and I hope some listeners were able to discover this site as a result. Bravo for all your hard work.

And of course, triple bravo for Lucas – Tufts University has a lot to be proud of. You were brave, well spoken and proactive. We can all learn from you.

34. Kathleen says:

Diane just mentioned, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Libya. Not a mention about every expanding illegal settlements. Challenge them. Give a call, email, twitter, facebook. Get it out to millions of people. Mention Mondoweiss
    link to thedianerehmshow.org
    [email protected] ….1-800-433-8850

Ok folks International Round up. Get the word out. Use the airwaves that are open. Give it a shot. Mention Mondoweiss

link to thedianerehmshow.org

My comment over at the comment section at the Rehm show website
    During a recent a march in support of Israel Israeli youth screamed violent and ruthless statements about Arabs. Such as “kill the Arabs” “burn their villages” “slaughter Arabs” and Israeli soldiers and police officers did nothing to interrupt these violent statements

White Shirts in Jerusalem cry ‘Butcher the Arabs’

by Phil Weiss and Annie on June 3, 2011
    link to mondoweiss.net

During those same protest a young American Jewish man Lucas Koerner was peacefully protesting Israel’s occupation. He was aggressively and brutally arrested by Israeli police for shouting “not in my name”

link to mondoweiss.net

Can you please have your guest discuss these brutal and violent arrest that Palestinians have had to deal with for decades for peaceful protesting against the Israeli occupation.

Hope Diane and team are brave enough to have Lucas Koerner on your program.

Come on Rehm team open your eyes and your air waves. Go to those links watch for your selves

• Kathleen says:

oops sorry about “epitaphs” was thinking about a friend who passed. Statements

• hophmi says:

Ever hear what they shout at Arab marches? Oh, I forgot, it’s not your concern.

• Kathleen says:

link please. Proof. Have heard Jews at the Aipac conference and Palestinian Solidarity gatherings scream profane and violent words and statements towards Palestinian and others. Have never ever heard any Arabs scream horrific things like. “kill Jews” or “burn their illegal settlement homes” or “slaughter Jews” Can you provide equivalent proof or links verifying what you are claiming?

• Woody Tanaka says:

This is what I heard during the last Arab march:
          “Give us our rights”
          “End the occupation”
          “Stop stealing our land and water”
          “About the hummus… you’re welcome.”
          “Stop murdering our children with white phosphorus”

• Kathleen says:

And Hophmi keeps repeating claims and seldom backs them up. So easy to do if it is true

• Jim Haygood says:

Classic trolling technique on display here — the ‘When did you stop beating your wife?’ meme, adapted to fit the I/P issue, along with a drive-by allegation of irresponsibility.

Got to hand it to brother hophmi — he’s a hasbara pro. But his audience has all seen this movie before. And it gets old.

• Walid says:

“Ever hear what they shout at Arab marches? Oh, I forgot, it’s not your concern.”

It pains me to have to say that hophmi is again right on that one. The slogan shouted at anti-Israel rallies in Arab countries is “Death to Israel”, “el mott ‘la Israeel” so why be shy about it? When you hear half a million shouting these words, you find yourself also shouting them whether or not you mean them. I suspect that most of the people at these Israeli parades shouting similar things about Arabs are equally taken up in the euphoria of being in a massive wave and don’t really mean what they are shouting. Talk is easy but to actually butcher people or burn down their homes is not.

• Chaos4700 says:

“Death to Israel” is not the same as “Death to the Jews.” This is hophmi using his own children, metaphorically, as human shields to stand between Zionism and its fate.

35. zafarz says:

This is an outrage no American citizen should tolerate. Also watch here link to bit.ly
    Netanyahu celebrating “Real Democracy” while US Congress Cheerleads endlessly.

36. Chu says:

Nice work to Lucas.

Another first hand look at Israeli democracy. Makes one proud.

The elements of fascism always bubble to the surface when their communist enterprise is called into question. Plundering the Arab land by force, they had to rely on fascism to survive, although it’s seems more like a communist-religious state behind the fascism.

Someone at the State Department needs to call this nation out. Sure they’ll call it the new mccarthyism, but it’s better to cut the appendages that bind us to this corrupt post-colonial state. The US has enough corruption to deal with, besides supporting a quasi-fascist-commie regime whose leader lectures our president in his own office. We look like suckers in the long run. This sitting president needs to make a prime-time evening speech to the people of the US if he’s reelected, to lay down some news ground rules. He’s got some tools in his chest- The USS Liberty- Pollard- Israeli Racism. take your pick and there’s certainly more dirt to expose to the masses.

37. Seham says:

I love the Palestinians chanting “Allahu Ahkbar” when Lucas was arrested, they were praying for him. :)

38. iamuglow says:

Much Respect to you Lucas. Much, much respect.

I hope this video finds a wide audience. A change is going to come.

39. Kathleen says:

Ok just got the question I wanted to ask about in about the most recent NIE report onIran on the Diane Rehm international round up and mentioned Mondoweiss as the site to go to on the I/P conflict. All towards the end of the program. Second time I have gotten a plug in for you guys on the Rehm show. Did not have time to bring up how the whole show had gone an hour without even getting near the I/P issue.

Hope this brings even more readers to the site

In the last 10 minutes of the show
    link to thedianerehmshow.org

• American says:

Good work kathleen!
      You are relentless….I love it.

• Kathleen says:

Yep as so many human rights activist have been and continue to be. A pleasure plugging Mondoweiss. Of course they cut me off right before I was getting in the Lucas arrest and how the Rehm show had just spent close to an hour without even whispering about the I/P conflict

• Kathleen says:

Have literally gotten on many of these shows hundreds of times over the last 10 years. Great way to get info out and ask the questions that many MSM host will not. Even challenge the host on their unwillingness to challenge. That is why I try to encourage others to get on the air waves that you can access. Washington Journal being one of them.

They are being hammered by Camera (cspan watch) for allowing callers to state facts.

• Just heard your question, diss of AIPAC, plug for Mondoweiss, and mention of the illegal settlements on today’s Diane Rehm show here starting at minute 48:08. Great work Kathleen, you inspire!

• Kathleen says:

I have learned to pay homage to the journalist that these folks respect. Well quite honestly I have a great deal of respect for Hersh. But former weapons inspector Scott Ritter was saying what Hersh said in his article 8 years ago. Ritter, El Baradei, Flynt Leverett and others were hammering on how so many unsubstantiated claims about Iran were being repeated over the last 8 years. And then I have heard David Gregory, Diane Rehm, Stephanapolous, Bob Schiefer, Christine Amanpour, Neal Conan and many others allow guest to repeat the standard hooey about Iran . Referring to their nuclear program as a nuclear weapons program. Claiming that they are enriching uranium beyond what they are legally able. Repeating the debunked “Iran wants to wipe Israel off the map” bullshit. And then Terri Gross and Rachel Maddow repeating this bull themselves as well as allowing guest to fuel the falsehoods.

So I give Hersh kudos instead of hammering away at all who have said the same thing the last 8 years. Too bad Diane chose to shut me down so quickly when I was trying to get to Lucas’s arrest. But did get the Mondo plug in

• Citizen says:

Kathleen’s question was delivered well, and clearly; the guest answered that so many political pundits & AIPAC constantly refer to Iran as arming itself with nukes because there has been circumstantial, not “conclusive” evidence of prepatory testing that Iran has kept mum about. Kathleen had used the term “conclusive” in the way they talk to the public about the matter–and, although Kathleen specifically mentioned AIPAC as one of the disinformation peddlers, the guest did not specifically mention AIPIC in his generalized response. Kathleen was very clear in her spelling out clearly that Mondoweiss was a good place for information on the I-P conflict.

• Kathleen says:

I have been using the air waves for a solid ten years now. First phone call to a national radio program was just before the 2000 Supreme Court Presidential selection. I was irate. Recount for heavens sake. Recount. Made it into the US Supreme court hearing on the Bush Vs Gore case. Could not believe they stopped the recount after they sent it back to Florida’s supreme court…states rights. We witnessed a fucking Supreme Court judicial coup.

Have called hundreds of times since. People need to use these airwaves more. Word, information, questions out to millions at one time. Folks need to keep getting critical information this way.

If the host of these shows are not going to ask relevant challenging questions …you can! Get relevant information out that seldom makes it into the MSM. Use these airwaves! Always be polite…get through the screener…still be polite and ask the questions that you want after you are on the show!

You get to know what the screeners want to hear…give it to them and then get that piece of information out as well as asking challenging questions. Folks should give it a try

40. where’s my love Adam, I emailed you that video?

here’s another good video of Lucas remixed with Netanyahoo’s speech. good stuff, although i wish there was a little more oomph like some repeated words to drive the message home and music. zanga zanga style.

there’s another video with Rae Abileah, listen to what Netanyahoo says about Tripoli at the end. Wow. So democracy is good enough for Tripoli but not good enough for Palestinians?

• Kathleen says:

Always important to acknowledge where things come from. Huge lesson in life even the small things. A hat tip, a thank you.

41. Jim Haygood says:

From this editorial posted in a student newspaper, I gather that Lucas Koerner is a student at Tufts University:

link to tuftsdaily.com

It doesn’t say where he’s from. But someone who knows where Koerner lives should contact his U.S. Representative and Senators, and ask them both to intervene (by demanding that the U.S. ambassador offer consular visitation and protection), and to make a statement concerning Koerner’s harsh treatment by the ‘middle east’s only democracy.’

The video of Koerner’s summary arrest is an effective antidote to the billowing fantasies spun by Netanyahu about Israel being an advanced, modern and tolerant state. A video is worth 10,000 words. And an unorthodox kippah is worth a free escort to jail, evidently.

By the way, when will Abe Foxman be issuing his statement condemning the absence of ‘tolerance’ on display in the video? Just asking!

42. radii says:

Good-looking kid. Articulate. Passionate. Balls of steel. We need a lot more like him. He spoke so eloquently against the simplistic tribalism taking place right in front of him. I sure hope his profile increases and he becomes a leader.

43. Kris says:

I love you, too, Lucas Koerner! Thank you for your outstanding courage and integrity!

44. ToivoS says:

Watching this video and the over-reaction of the Israeli police, I thought of the Freedom Riders. The thing about the Freedom Riders was that for the first time white people showed up in a civil rights demonstration in the south. The hatred of those mobs was directed against the white participants (sure they still hated the Negroes, but they had been dealing with their protests for decades and felt they could handle that). This was something different and they did not know how to deal with it. And as history has shown, they did not deal with at all — in fact white violence in this instance set back segregation policies irreversibly.

This image of an American Jew with his Jewish beanie (kippah?) and the symbol of Palestinian nationalism (that checkered scarf thing) must have enraged those Israeli cops to no end. In 1961 those Freedom Riders lives were in real danger. At least Lucas can make his case today in Jerusalem without being killed. Besides that one difference, this is a Freedom Ride moment and more power to Lucas for making it happen,

• Shunra says:

Interesting parallel! I wonder how that played out in South Africa, during the Apartheid struggle, also with a very clear visual marker of side-taking – and in Northern Ireland.

The kippah (also known as a yarmulka) is so firmly associated with right-wingedness that the cops must have felt very threatened – their world was no longer visually demarcated into good-guys/bad-guys.

That explains the roughness, I think.

45. yourstruly says:

adolf hitler’s goose-stepping spectaculars that he used to dazzle and bamboozle the multitudes into accepting a life of submission and service to him.

in return for the glory of his third reich?

a decade or so later

outside a public school auditorium

in a major american metropolitan area

right here in the homeland

standing shoulder to shoulder with like-minded anti-fascists

outside a certain public school auditorium

inside?

a pro-nazi party rally, well attended

and then, near the exit, there’s some sort of commotion

a woman is being escorted out, rudely and roughly too, her face having been bloodied. she had a look of committment and defiance that couldn’t be missed

at a meeting of a pro-nazi organization

she had stood up in protest

and how’s that for having the courage of one’s convictions?

so what a surprise, circa 40 years later

at a meeting of mostly anti-zionist jews

upon hearing the above story

guess what?

“i’m the person that got thrown out”, from one of the women at the meeting

and now, lucas koerner, an american jew

for having spoken out against the jewish occupiers of palestine

he gets pummeled by the police and put in jail?

when will such brutality end?

when the last chain is broken

said chain being?

inequality

46. yourstruly says:

and until that last chain is broken

none of us will be free

• yourstruly says:

how to smash that last chain?

creatively

that light and other elementals get a chance to work their magic upon us

whereupon, here and there, far and wide -

“Eureka! And all along thought it was only me? Never realized most everyone else knows it too.”

the golden rule?

not merely preaching it

living it

• yourstruly says:

seems there’s a tug-a-war going on among jews as to which side?

the zionist entity israel’s?

or on the side of the palestinian people?

which way to go?

choose the way that leads to peace on earth and goodwill to all living beings?

which is?

justice for palestine

based on?

the spirit of those eighteen magical days in tahrir square

47. David Samel says:

I have a new hero and he is 19. Slightly embarrassing that he exhibited more courage in that video than I’ve ever shown and I’m three times his age.

48. Marlene says:

Good going Lucas! Your family must be proud of you for bringing such a caring human being into this world.

• Thank you Marlene for your encouragement and support. Yes, we are proud of him for standing up for human freedom and dignity! I thank everyone on this comment page who expressed caring for his well-being.

49. dbroncos says:

Well done Lucas!

50. zafarz says:

Does anyone here know of the outrage this has caused amongst members of congress? link to bit.ly

51. Citizen says:

Lucas is not alone:

Israel has a chance to heed the calls of their brave young people who refuse to be the  brutalizers it wants them to be. The ones who refuse to serve and the ones breaking the silence or the ones boycotting their own illegal  settlements.  They are the conscience of Israel.  And the conscience of  the Jewish people is reflected in the woman who courageously interrupted  Netanyahu’s speech before Congress.  These young people are Israel’s redemption.   Because the day will come when their racist system that  measures human worth by religion will crumble.  The day will come when  military force is not enough to stop people from pouring into the streets to march for justice; and a critical mass all over the world  will say enough. link to veteranstoday.com

• Citizen says:

Israel’s hand will ultimately be forced into respecting human rights and international laws not because an American President or the U.S. Congress will force it into complying, because they won’t. They lack the moral courage to stand up to Tel Aviv. It will, infact, be forced by courageous Jewish heroes like Lucas Koerner and Rae Abileah who will  be joined by hundreds of thousands of peace loving Israelis. We know they are there. We know they live in Israel and Palestine. Good Jews will never allow being associated with an evil state. link to sajepress.com

And one day everyday Americans will know about Rachel Corrie just as they know about Anne Frank. And she won’t be known as “pancake girl.” Heck, they may even know about the evil attack by Israel on the USS Liberty!

Obama and Congress do not know it, but history has already passed them by. The wheel of history is turning.

• yourstruly says:

what was that?

the shock wave from the sound of so many people at one and the same time saying “enough already”

• yourstruly says:

how about a global rally in support of justice for palestine?

with everyone in support of the palestinian cause having a chance to stand up and be counted

when?

for starters, why not july 4th?

those who are for said justice to do what?

in order to be counted, at dawn on the 4th, wherever one happens to be, one only has to stand outside for five minutes

saying what?

enough is enough

and the counting?

by way of aerial & satellite imaging

prediction?

that not only will lots & lots of people elsewhere than in the u. s. of a. be participating in this global “enough is enough” rally, but, surprise, large numbers of americans will too.

• yourstruly says:

who and what is a jew?

a human being first and foremost

and the i/p conflict?

opportunity

based on?

on which side one is on?

the slaveowning * zionist entity israel’s?

or on the side of the palestinian people?

where siding with the settler entity is a ticket to where?

doomsday**

whereas if one happens to side with the enslaved palestinian?

victory

one, that’s all it’ll take

*by dint of its occupying palestine, homeland of the palestinian people

**based on perpetual war + global warming = doomsday

• yourstruly says:

but this is the way it is, nothing one can do about it, so why try?

by oneself, perhaps not, but in solidarity with everyone else?

the spirit of those eighteen magical days in tahrir sqiare?

revisited?

universally?

no reason why not

52. Kathleen says:

Hope to hear soon what is happening to Lucas.
    Was thinking about our dear friends Art (deceased 2010) and Peggy Gish who is back in Iraq this morning.

Went back to listen to Art and Peggy Gish. They did a great interview with Amy Goodman in Athens a while back. (Amy is open to suggestions for shows)

They have been taking extreme risk for peace for decades. Lucas is well on his way. Their devoted work has and continues to inspire

link to democracynow.org
    “AMY GOODMAN: We’re talking to Peggy Gish. Her husband Art Gish, also a Christian Peacemaker. Art, you spend your time in the West Bank, in the Occupied Territories.

ART GISH: Yes. Since 1995, I’ve been going to the West Bank every winter for three months. And I just came back from spending another three months there.

AMY GOODMAN: Why? Why have you chosen to go there? And explain how the Christian Peacemaker Teams developed.

ART GISH: Christian Peacemaker Teams came out of the peace churches, the Quakers, the Mennonites, the Church of the Brethren, out of the idea that if we’re really serious about peace, we ought to be willing to take the same risks as soldiers take and go into a nonviolent—into violent situations and be a nonviolent presence there. What if people who want peace made the same kind of commitment that soldiers make?

AMY GOODMAN: What do you mean?

ART GISH: That we go there, and we take risks, and we stand in the middle, and we work for peace in there.

AMY GOODMAN: Explain what you’ve done in West Bank.

ART GISH: OK. The most important thing we do is listen. And we listen to all sides. We act as international observers. I like to say we have the grandmother effect. There are things nobody would do if their grandmother is watching. So, in any conflict anywhere in the world, it’s really important to have outside observers there who are a presence there, and the people know they’re being watched, and that will reduce the violence.

And then, third, we also engage in nonviolent direct action. If the Israeli military wants to demolish a Palestinian house, we’ll sit on the roof of the house. We stand in front of tanks and bulldozers, and our slogan is “getting in the way.”

AMY GOODMAN: We just passed the anniversary of the death of Rachel Corrie on March 16th.

ART GISH: Yes, I knew her.

AMY GOODMAN: A few days before the invasion of Iraq—

ART GISH: Yes.

AMY GOODMAN: —she was killed in Gaza by an Israeli military bulldozer. She stood in front of a house—

ART GISH: Yes.

AMY GOODMAN: —just like you, standing to prevent it from being crushed. How did you know her?

ART GISH: I did some work for ISM. That’s the group she was working with, International Solidarity Movement. And I led the training for two days of nonviolence training for her, so I trained her to stand in front of bulldozers.

AMY GOODMAN: And your thoughts, your reaction after she was killed?

ART GISH: Well, that touched me very deeply, since I have some responsibility in that. But she’s one of my heroes, of course. And, you know, I think of the times I stood in front of tanks and bulldozers, and it could have happened to me.

AMY GOODMAN: And what happened in those cases? Explain exactly what you do. For example, talk about your experiences in Hebron. Did it happen there?

ART GISH: Yes. There was—in the main central produce market in Hebron, I saw two Israeli bulldozers, two Israeli tanks smashing the whole area. And a big tank came toward me, and I stood there, and it stopped, right in front of me. I didn’t realize that day that maybe I saved my wife’s life that day, because while she was kidnapped, she showed a picture of me standing in front of the tank to the kidnappers, and they were quite impressed and said we’re going to let you go.

AMY GOODMAN: You were in the West Bank. But you, when you were kidnapped, in Iraq.

PEGGY GISH: I was in Iraq, yes.

ART GISH: She was in—yes.

AMY GOODMAN: And you had this photograph with you?

PEGGY GISH: I had the photo with me and the photos of my family, my children, right, and showed that to them. And then they went out with it, and ten minutes later the guard came back in and said I would be released the next day with our translator.

AMY GOODMAN: What drives you to devote so much time to this kind of activism? For our radio listeners, your white hair, Art, your white beard. For kids who might think, what on earth are you doing? You live safely here in Athens, Ohio, but you’re constantly going off to places where you put your own lives in danger.

ART GISH: Well, first of all, it’s a privilege and a gift to be able to stand with the victims, with the oppressed of the world. That’s a privilege. I wouldn’t want to give it up for anything. What motivates us is our religious faith, our faith in God. And as Peggy put it so well, it’s love. It’s our love for the people that drives us.

AMY GOODMAN: Where were you born, Art?

ART GISH: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

AMY GOODMAN: And Peggy?

PEGGY GISH: I was born actually in Nigeria. My parents were working there when I was very young. And then I grew up in Chicago.

AMY GOODMAN: And what got you involved in this peace work, Peggy?

PEGGY GISH: Ah, what got—well, we started our activism with civil rights work, and it a just opened the door to all kinds of other issues for us. Then we became involved with the anti-Vietnam War protests and draft resistance, death penalty abolition. And so, we began to see the interconnection with so many oppressions and problems, economic problems, with the war machine. And then we heard about a group that had a different kind of response, one that would be of standing with people and working with them nonviolently within their countries in those situations.

And so, as we worked in Iraq, we looked for those creative people who were interested, and we did a training with a group of Shia Muslims in Karbala in 2005, and they became known then as the Muslim Peacemaker Teams. With them, then we went into the city of Fallujah seven times during the year of 2005 to work for reconciliation between Sunni and Shia. So that’s the kind of thing that we do. And it’s exciting because we’re a part of a movement of the local people who are doing that and building that up for their country.

AMY GOODMAN: Are you planning to go back to the West Bank, Art? Peggy, to Iraq?

ART GISH: I hope to.

PEGGY GISH: I hope so.

ART GISH: Insha’Allah.

PEGGY GISH: Yes, we hope.

AMY GOODMAN: Well, I want to thank you both very much for being with us, Peggy and Art Gish.

ART GISH: Thank you.

AMY GOODMAN: They’ve written a number of books. Peggy’s book,Iraq: A Journey of Hope and Peace. Art Gish’s book, Hebron Journal: Stories of Nonviolent Peacemaking and At-Tuwani Journal: Hope and Nonviolent Action in a Palestinian Village.”

53. Kathleen says:

I am still concerned about how You tube is possibly filtering the clip of Lucas Koerner being violently harassed and arrested. You can find the video of his arrest mixed with Netanyahu’s congressional speech. But you can not access the clear, concise, brutal arrest. This seems so manipulative to me
    link to youtube.com

54. Kathleen says:

Look at the way you tube has categorized his arrest now. Slow the availability down

American-Jewish young man is being harassed and treated unfairly he is then arrested in Jerusalem
    Thumbnail4:16

This content may contain material flagged by YouTube’s user community that may be inappropriate for some users.

To view this video or group, please verify you are 18 or older by signing in or signing up. If you would instead prefer to avoid potentially inappropriate content, consider activating YouTube’s Safety Mode.

55. Kathleen says:

So google owns you tube. Who owns and controls google? Board of directors? How they are filtering info, blocking access etc?

link to ginside.com

Googles/ you tube Board of Directors
    link to google.com

So do Brin and Page co founders of Google have an agenda to shut down, or slow down access to relevant information about the I/P conflict? Like Lucas’s arrest etc?

“Brin immigrated to the United States from Russia at the age of six. Earning his undergraduate degree at the University of Maryland, he followed in his father’s and grandfather’s footsteps by studying mathematics, double-majoring in computer science. After graduation, he moved to Stanford to acquire a Ph.D in computer science. There he met Larry Page, with whom he later became friends. They crammed their dormitory room with inexpensive computers and applied Brin’s data mining system to build a superior search engine. The program became popular at Stanford and they suspended their PhD studies to start up Google in a rented garage.

The Economist magazine referred to Brin as an “Enlightenment Man”, and someone who believes that “knowledge is always good, and certainly always better than ignorance”, a philosophy that is summed up by Google’s motto of making all the world’s information “universally accessible and useful”[4] and “Don’t be evil”.

So if Sergey Brin believes “knowledge is good and certainly better than ignorance” Why would Sergey Brin and Larry Page (Google co founders now owners of you tube) allow critical information about the I/P conflict etc to be compromised through easy flagging of say a video of Lucas’s brutal arrest to be slowed down? Compromised by those who want to shut down access to this kind of relevant information?

• Citizen says:

Yeah, he’s an “enlightenment man,” which is why he treats a video of the brutal arrest of an American Jew peacfully protesting rogue state actions as pornography. I imagine this spcialized bent has something to do with his parental indocrination at home?

• Kathleen says:

The “filter bubble” that Google and you tube are going along with here is disturbing.Slow relevant information about the I/P issue down

56. Kathleen says:

This “filter bubble” that Facebook, Google, You tube etc are participants in sounds like an extremely manipulative way to shut down the flow of information to individuals. Keep wondering about how any whyYou tube has reduced access to the clip of Lucas Koerners arrest. How this impedes people’s access to critical information about this type of Israeli violence

link to guardian.co.uk

How the net traps us all in our own little bubbles

An invisible revolution has taken place is the way we use the net, but the increasing personalisation of information by search engines such as Google threatens to limit our access to information and enclose us in a self-reinforcing world view, writes Eli Pariser in an extract from The Filter Bubble

57. elainemey says:

I met Lucas at a Palestinian demonstration in Copley Square, Boston last fall. He and four/five friends had just formed their SJP group at Tufts U. and I was happy to be able to provide him with a list of speakers that had spoken at Brown U in support of Palestinian rights.

Lucas, I admire your courage in the face of Israeli violence and hope that you weren’t badly hurt.

58. es1982 says:

Haaretz published an article about this in today’s paper (Hebrew here, English here).

59. eljay says:

>> es1982: Haaretz published an article about this in today’s paper …
    >> From the article: “Israel Police claims the young man attacked and bit an officer … ”

Of course Israel Police claims this. The reality – that the kid was yanked off the pillar he was standing on, manhandled clear across the roadway, forced to the ground and immobilized, and then hauled away like some worthless Ay-rab – doesn’t sound nearly “victimhood” enough.

60. Vouts says:

Where is the post about his time in Israeli jail?Its not in his blog

61. nadia4700 says:

As a current student at University of Texas at Austin, I am enrolled in a class titled “Israel/Palestine: Parallel Lives.” This class is taught by two professors, one Palestinian and one Israeli. The remember, vividly, when my Palestinian professor started off the class by saying, “We disagree on a lot, but we agree on more.” This statement has stuck with me, and after reading about this courageous individual, I feel hopeful that my generation is beginning to gravitate toward this mentality of tolerance and understanding versus violence and extremism. In his blog, Lucas Koerner uses the words “the other” to describe the Palestinians in regards to Jews in Israel. This conception of the other or the enemy holds strong within the Israel/Palestinian conflict, but throughout my studies of their culture, I have learned that there are many more similarities between these two peoples than most would like to admit. The interpretations of “The occupier and the occupied” is causing a large divide between two peoples with a shared history, and is propagated over an ethno-religious nationalism within Israel (as mentioned in Koerner’s blog). His attempt for peaceful protest and its shameful handling by the Israeli police brings to light the corruption within Israeli’s “democracy.” It is Jewish-Americans like Koerner that are providing a chance for peaceful resolution, but the Israelis who choose to quiet this young man are the ones who wish to prolong this hatred. Personally, I stand on the side of peaceful resolution, education and tolerance. I stand by Koerner.