How Israel deals with nonviolent Palestinian protest

Watch this video from Nabi Saleh:

You might recognize the woman in the video. She is the same mother who fought as her 11-year old child was abducted by the Israeli military (video below). This is yet another tactic Israel has used to try to break the back of the nonviolent protests in the West Bank.

I was recently in Nabi Saleh during the delegation I co-led with Anna Baltzer. I met the brave people of Nabi Saleh who face this level of abuse week in and week out for protesting the theft of their land. As I sat with the families’ missing loved ones in Israeli prisons and they showed these videos, I watched them not only as a journalist and activist, but also the father of young children. I was horrified and couldn’t keep from crying.

As I listened to the stories in Nabi Saleh I marveled at the protesters’ courage, persistence and discipline at maintaining nonviolent protest in the face of such barbarity. I doubt I would be able to make the same choice.

Inside the Military Repression of Nabi Saleh: Arrest of Children from Joseph Dana on Vimeo.

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.

1. Seham
    June 14, 2011, 5:51 pm

A pattern (though not recent) of Israeli violence against women. No one will question what in that society makes it OK to attack women who aren’t doing anything, save that for racist comments and innuendos about Arab men and Arab society. How Israelis manage to get away with this behavior without being described with the same terminology that the MSM reserves for Arab regimes in mind boggling. These victims of Israeli violence will never make it into one of Obama’s speeches.

• munro
      June 14, 2011, 7:01 pm

“How Israelis manage to get away with this behavior…”

Erica Jong wrote “Arabs and Other Animals” yet remains accepted by American and Israeli feminists:
      link to counterpunch.org
      link to gawker.com

• James
      June 15, 2011, 12:19 am

obama is a cop out on this issue.. so is every other member of congress almost without exception… harper in canada is the same… all of them would really benefit from watching a video like this, but they would probably think these folks did something to provoke it…

as for the abuse on these women – one wonders if it has to do with the fact these women are the one’s having babies that will grow up to challenge this same fascism from any angle they can to overcome it… so the idf acts like a terrorist but it is okay because it is state supported terrorism… when the opportunity to demonstrate non violently is turned on it’s head as it is here, these folks with resort to other ways to get the message across to these idf soldiers who are the front for a very racist society being cultivated in israel at present..

2. tinywriting
    June 14, 2011, 5:54 pm

Hijacking the thread, sorry. Have you all seen this: link to richardsilverstein.com
    Apparently the BDS movement is starting to panic Israeli business leaders.

• petersz
      June 14, 2011, 6:50 pm

It was the Business Community in South Africa that first demanded an end to apartheid. This is very good sign. It looks like elite people in Israel are now beginning to panic! Soon there could be flood of money, people and business out of Israel if something isn’t resolved very quickly.

3. Woody Tanaka
    June 14, 2011, 6:13 pm

Everyone of these IDF thugs should be hanged or in prison. Scum.

4. justicewillprevail
    June 14, 2011, 6:17 pm

These Israelis are thugs and morons who have no humanity whatsoever. But no-one in Israel bats an eyelid, it’s all perfectly normal. What weird psychopaths they are. If I hear another one whining about their tragic victimhood, as they sit by the pool, or in their air-conditioned subsidised home, I will not be responsible for my actions.

5. munro
    June 14, 2011, 6:30 pm

Same place last year
    Woman dragged and kicked by IDF soldiers Nabi Saleh 14-05-2010

Israeli police officer slaps Palestinian woman lawyer on Nakba day (at 00:35)

6. Seham
    June 14, 2011, 6:54 pm

Every single week Palestinians face the same brutality for peacefully protesting and every single week they go out and continue to peacefully protest. Ni’lin, Bil’in, Al Masara, Silwan, etc. The only difference is that every once in a while an international or Israeli is the one at the receiving end of Israeli regime violence and we hear about it. Right now every single week Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and other human rights organizations are issuing weekly/daily press releases on violence in the Arab world at the hands of Arab dictators yet they expect us to applaud them when they issue a statement once a year about Israeli violence against Palestinians. Really, really am I to believe that it is easier for these human rights organizations to get into Syria and Bahrain than into Palestine? Ugh, every single day I find myself more disgusted and repulsed by everyone except for a small circle of activists (and be wary Israel because it is growing!) that care about justice.

• Kathleen
      June 14, 2011, 8:38 pm

For decades is what I have heard from friends who have been going to witness for decades

7. Seham
    June 14, 2011, 7:02 pm

People always say to me, “if you won’t vote for Obama who will you vote for, who is the alternative?” oh please, I don’t give a f**K about an alternative and Obama went on television and spoke about violence in the Middle East and didn’t mention a single word about the violence engulfing Palestinian civilians on a daily basis, instead when he talked about violence he only mentioned Israelis as victims. Palestinian women and children (I’ll leave the men out of it, they’re such an easy target for the West that why even bother) are victims of Israeli violence, oppression, racism and cruelty every single day and they don’t even get symbolic empty rhetoric. Say what you want about Israelis, but the American government both Democratic and Republican are just as disgusting and just as complicit. I am sure if Netanyahu showed this video to Congress that those monkeys would have jumped up for another standing ovation for him.

• Woody Tanaka
      June 14, 2011, 7:39 pm

Bravo, Seham. True, true.

• Chaos4700
      June 14, 2011, 7:55 pm

He’s pretty much guaranteed to be a one-term President, anyway, no matter what his die-hard supporters want. He kept virtually none of his promises on the things most important for which he was elected. The Republicans have run circles around him, politically and rhetorically, and they are quite literally spouting lunacy at this point. The signpost was Emmanuel jumping ship, and there are rumors that Clinton is shopping her resume around too.

If people want Gitmo and bank bailouts and unending war in the Middle East, they’ll just vote Republican. Those of us who don’t have, no choice but to write someone in under Coke and Pepsi.

• Kathleen
      June 14, 2011, 8:07 pm

Tell it like it is Seham. Right behind you! Spread this clip far and wide

• stevieb
      June 15, 2011, 8:10 am

Yep. Good comment. Americans need to boycott the next elections….

Vote Green. Everybody. *

*(Unless Zionist compromised, like here in Canada).

8. Taxi
    June 14, 2011, 7:54 pm

Hey Adam,

Why the dull headline to such an emotive and despicable video?

For inspiration to pep up some headlines, you gotta get a book called ‘Shakespeare’s Insults’. Over 5000 gems of unabashed observations of the knaves and thugs of human kind. All his descriptions fit the zionist portrait to a tea. For example: scurvy lord; witty fool; clog; timorous thief; rude boy; caitiff; hater of love; filthy officer; jackanape with scarves; hourly promise-breaker; notable coward; infinite and endless liar; coxcomb; sprat; counterfeit module; double-meaning prophesier; damnable both-sides rogue; common liar; monstrous malefactor; backfriend; vengeance proud; Triton of the minnows; viperous traitor; bastard; decayed dotant; varlet; foreign recreant; measureless liar; egregious murderer – ooh and my all time favorite: implorator of unholy suits.

9. Kathleen
    June 14, 2011, 8:06 pm

These Israeli soldiers are flat out mother fuckers. Brutal inhumane racist mother fuckers. I have heard about how brutal they are to peaceful protesters for decades from Art Gish and other CPT members and others. Just brutal racist mother fuckers. No way around it.

That first woman that they started beating and then slammed her up against the truck. What the hell had she done? Beating that guy on the knees. So great people are capturing Israeli soldiers brutality on camera.

• munro
      June 15, 2011, 3:35 pm

The look in the eye of the soldier, the attacker, 6 seconds into the video says more than 5 years of Mondoweiss.

10. rob
    June 14, 2011, 8:14 pm

I’m sorry to say as I watched that video my thoughts are not of non-violence, but it’s not about me, it’s about the people of Nabi-Seleh and all the other peoples of the OPT and also the Palestinians who stayed behind in what is now Israel and are treated as less than second class people.

After having listened to their stories, I came away with such respect for the people, the Palestinian people, who have put up with this day after day, year after year; the three o’clock in the morning raids by fully armed soldiers with tear gas masks sticking rifles in children’s faces, the arrests, the beatings, the confiscation of people’s land and homes, the placing of boulders to block the roads to harass the people from using what roads they are allowed to use, the checkpoints we endured for minutes that they endure for hours, if they are even let through that day, the sometimes allowing a man to keep his land, but to not let him build on it, when not even a tent is allowed to be erected, all because their relentless pursuit of the unobtainable Building Permit was again denied, the harassment that takes place in so many shapes and forms, the systemic harassment of it all so they finally give up and leave.

Well, I’ve got news for them, the Palestinian people won’t give up, they are here to stay!

What I learned while there was that the main thing, above all else, is about the need for basic equal human rights for all, and yes, non-violence is the only way.

I hope that one day Syed will be able to leave East Jerusalem and go wherever his heart desires…..and then be able to return to his home, and it still be there waiting for him.

I hope that one day soon, there will be no more need to show videos like the violent dispersal of a non-violent demonstration and that the Palestinian people get all they deserve, starting with equal rights and everything else that comes with it.

It brings tears to my eyes just writing this and remembering what I saw while there, I will never forget this incredible journey.

I thank you Adam and Anna, and all the other delegates who taught me so much, for making my trip such a memorable one, for opening my eyes and my soul for the Palestinian people.

• Taxi
      June 14, 2011, 9:38 pm

rob,
      You’re a very sweet and kind soul.

• stevieb
      June 15, 2011, 8:16 am

“I honestly don’t know how they do it, they have a resolve far stronger than I could ever hope to have. That is where my respect goes, to the people of Palestine!”

Palestine is their home. For thousands of years.

11. Kathleen
    June 14, 2011, 8:29 pm

From the links
    “14 year old Islam Tamimi, one of the children seen being photographed in a night raid, has been in jail for the past three weeks. Days after the video was shot he was arrested and detained for a number of hours at the Halamish military base. Two days after he was detained, the army raided his home at 02h00 and arrested him. He was left in the cold, blindfolded and bound for the rest of the night and then taken imminently to interrogation without lawyer or parents present. The interrogation lasted eight hours.”

A 14 year old boy, blindfolded, bound, 8 hour interrogation no parents no lawyers.

Daily Israel commits crimes against humanity.

Contact
    link to icc-cpi.int
    Human Rights Watch
    link to hrw.org
    New York
    Address: 350 Fifth Avenue, 34th floor
    New York, NY 10118-3299 USA
    Tel: +1-212-290-4700
    Fax: +1-212-736-1300
    Contact New York Office

12. radii
    June 14, 2011, 8:58 pm

out controller-parasite israel still strikes fear into too many here (politicians because of the $ and the media) so the threshold nears but has not yet been crossed for changing the paradigm … but the threshold will be crossed, in less than a year or two I expect, and then everyone will want to pry this hideous parasite from our nation’s levers of power … the conduct of the zionists cannot be covered up and explained away any longer as they become a monolith of brutality, racism, and ugly inhumanity … coddling a younger generation in the bosom of hate and race-baiting and collective sociopathy

13. James North
    June 14, 2011, 9:31 pm

Richard Witty said, ‘Uh-oh. Another thread I have to hide from. I was planning to resurface once the Lucas Koerner post blew over, but I can’t come up for air just yet.
    (‘I do wonder why the Israeli soldiers are in combat gear to attack peaceful demonstrators? Never mind, I never challenge what I call “Israel’s right to defend itself.” But if there were a glimpse of any of those Palestinians throwing a single stone. . .? I would have spoken up then.’)

• Chaos4700
      June 14, 2011, 11:11 pm

Yeah, really, the Zionists are not anywhere to be seen on this thread at all, huh. I guess their all too busy labeling us as the violent ones and condemning BDS as something “militant” and “fascist” on the other denial-friendly topics.

• libra
      June 15, 2011, 7:52 am

James, as Mooser pointed out yesterday, we can’t all have Richard’s gift for clarity and brevity. I expect this is yet another thread where Richard’s brevity will be all too clear. Though, as ever, I much appreciate your (very) Witty synopsis.

14. RoHa
    June 14, 2011, 10:32 pm

More humanising the other, I suppose.

• eljay
      June 15, 2011, 11:20 am

>> More humanising the other, I suppose.

Yup. And if it looks oddly (but “necessarily”) brutal, well, that’s just “nuances”.

Anyway, Israel is “the only democracy in the Middle East”, and Syria and Libya are worse, so there. :-)

15. NickJOCW
    June 15, 2011, 7:15 am

Did you get this refreshing piece from the Washington Post on Sunday? link to washingtonpost.com

16. Chu
    June 15, 2011, 12:57 pm

IDF needs to fight a real battle. They look like pansies beating
    up women. Why don’t they send troops to help the US in Afghanistan
    if they’re a useful ally ? Gates was critical of Europe lats week;
    shouldn’t the same apply to our ally that bilks us for every cent
    possible?

17. joer
    June 15, 2011, 1:39 pm

Are these soldiers getting in touch with their Jewish selves, or are they just being bullies? I can never get used to images like this. I’ve heard satisfied reactions to incidents like these by Israel’s admirers who say they want to show that Jews can be tough. Well, dressing up in body armor and beating up women is not being tough. If they want to prove they’re tough, they should go out and fight somebody fair. And if they end up in prison, like they should, they can prove Jews are tough every day in prison.

18. Cliff
    June 16, 2011, 5:57 am

Richard Witty:
    ‘Everyone’s a victim! Even the executioner!’