Mr. Speaker I rise in opposition to this resolution. While I certainly share the hope for peace in the Middle East and a solution to the ongoing conflict, I do not believe that peace will result if we continue to do the same things while hoping for different results. The US has been involved in this process for decades, spending billions of dollars we do not have, yet we never seem to get much closer to a solution. I believe the best solution is to embrace non-interventionism, which allows those most directly involved to solve their own problems.
This resolution not only further entangles the US in the Israeli/Palestinian dispute, but it sets out the kind of outcome the United States would accept in advance. While I prefer our disengagement from that conflict, I must wonder how the US expects to be seen as an “honest broker” when it dictates the terms of a solution in such a transparently one-sided manner.
In the resolution before us, all demands are made of only one side in the conflict. Do supporters of this resolution really believe the actors in the Middle East and the rest of the world do not notice? We do no favors to the Israelis or to the Palestinians when we involve ourselves in such a manner and block any negotiations that may take place without US participation. They have the incentives to find a way to live in peace and we must allow them to find that solution on their own. As always, congressional attitudes toward the peace process in the Middle East reveal hubris and self-importance. Only those who must live together in the Middle East can craft a lasting peace between Israel and Palestine.
- J Street cheerleading for Kerry features Congressman warning Palestinians will … 1
- Zirin challenges sportswriters to report Israeli violence against Palestinian soccer … 12
- Michael Ratner’s journey away from Zionism 23
- Israel is now attempting to ‘de-Arabize’ Palestinian Christians, but in … 25
- ‘This wall will fall’ (the writing on the wall, at … 7
- US Homeland Security investigates Israeli arms deal to Iran 29
- Video: 8-year-old boys stopped by soldiers– ‘you were about to … 36
- Marty Peretz’s message to Chris Hughes: Keep ‘The New Republic’ … 17
- A model factory for a colonialism in trouble: the SodaStream … 0
- ‘Apartheid on the Hill’: Students transform Tufts campus to highlight … 0
- Thousands denied water in Jerusalem as California Gov signs energy … 0
- ‘Daily Beast’ labels Abbas ‘stubborn’ for refusing to recognize Israel … 0
- On John Judis’s ‘Genesis,’ and its critics 0
- 2013 was record year in new settlement construction, and 2014 … 0
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department ‘midwives’ democracy 0
- ‘Netanyahu is a Nazi’: Scenes from an Orthodox anti-military draft … 0
- AIPAC reaches out to Christians with morphing Star of David 149
- ‘Daily Beast’ labels Abbas ‘stubborn’ for refusing to recognize Israel … 141
- Anti-anti-semitism: How did a movement against bigotry lend itself to … 119
- ‘Netanyahu is a Nazi’: Scenes from an Orthodox anti-military draft … 114
- Robert Caro, Nakba-denier 93
- Obama warns Israel about delegitimization, and Oren suggests annexation 93
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department ‘midwives’ democracy 92
- Pelosi calls Israel’s creation ‘the most spectacular political achievement of … 91
- RT @alexbkane: "How do we oppose a demand for one person, one vote?” Congressman Jerry Nadler summarizes the liberal Zionist quandry http://t.co/QtIemdtXzU, 19 mins ago
- RT @CornellSJP: Protect free speech on campus! http://t.co/RvdWb9G5UR @WRFIRadioNews @SJPNational, 20 mins ago
- J Street cheerleading for Kerry features Congressman warning Palestinians will demand the vote if two states fails http://t.co/LdipMdfzNR, 3 hours ago
- Dave Zirin (@EdgeofSports) challenges sportswriters to report Israeli violence against Palestinian soccer players http://t.co/Uw93TXGyFz, 4 hours ago
- RT @boun0479: Denver bus ad for justice in Palestine RT @EvaBartlettGaza:"@boun0479 http://t.co/qvCBDFnyPW" @MaxBlumenthal @Mondoweiss, 7 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Zirin challenges sportswriters to report Israeli violence against Palestinian soccer players (12)
- Israel is now attempting to ‘de-Arabize’ Palestinian Christians, but in the 1950s it was Jews from the Middle East (25)
- tokyobk: Read and understand a post before you use fancy or foreign words or accuse someone else of being daft. Free...
- Evangelicals who dissent from Christian Zionism wear ‘stain of indelible infamy,’ Israel says (76)
- ritzl: Agree mostly, except that they don’t seem to be afraid. That’s the insanity part, to me. For a...
- J Street cheerleading for Kerry features Congressman warning Palestinians will demand the vote if two states fails (1)
- ritzl: I know I’d have to ask them to get an answer/non-answer, but what does J-Street hope to accomplish with...
- Michael Ratner’s journey away from Zionism (23)
- German Lefty: @ Citizen People get interested in this subject for various reasons. I think that in most cases...
- seafoid: But it is not an identity that is mediated via the religion ? Judaism is supposed to be moral, good,...
- tree: I don’t think its religion, seafoid. I think its an identity issue. See Marqusee here: So what was the...
- On John Judis’s ‘Genesis,’ and its critics (61)
- Donald: Thanks tree. I think I’ve heard of Grodzinsky’s book, but haven’t gotten around to reading...