Mr. Speaker I rise in opposition to this resolution. While I certainly share the hope for peace in the Middle East and a solution to the ongoing conflict, I do not believe that peace will result if we continue to do the same things while hoping for different results. The US has been involved in this process for decades, spending billions of dollars we do not have, yet we never seem to get much closer to a solution. I believe the best solution is to embrace non-interventionism, which allows those most directly involved to solve their own problems.
This resolution not only further entangles the US in the Israeli/Palestinian dispute, but it sets out the kind of outcome the United States would accept in advance. While I prefer our disengagement from that conflict, I must wonder how the US expects to be seen as an “honest broker” when it dictates the terms of a solution in such a transparently one-sided manner.
In the resolution before us, all demands are made of only one side in the conflict. Do supporters of this resolution really believe the actors in the Middle East and the rest of the world do not notice? We do no favors to the Israelis or to the Palestinians when we involve ourselves in such a manner and block any negotiations that may take place without US participation. They have the incentives to find a way to live in peace and we must allow them to find that solution on their own. As always, congressional attitudes toward the peace process in the Middle East reveal hubris and self-importance. Only those who must live together in the Middle East can craft a lasting peace between Israel and Palestine.
- Netanyahu tweets red-telephone picture, to show how happy he is … 0
- Schumer says it’s a ‘mistake’ for Kerry to criticize settlements 0
- Romeo and Juliet in Palestine 0
- Because Israel mocks the peace process, we need BDS, ‘Salon’ … 0
- Infographic: 20 Years of talks Keep Palestinians occupied — with … 0
- The Almond Tree: A peace proposal 0
- Israeli ambassador’s present to Obama — settlement cufflinks! 0
- American Studies Association national council endorses academic boycott of Israel 0
- Eric Alterman’s ‘I Hate Max Blumenthal’ Handbook 0
- Ari Shavit is hardwired into the Israeli elite—but knows nothing … 0
- Avigdor Lieberman bombs everywhere but in The New York Times 0
- Netanyahu’s ‘gift’ to Pope: book on Catholic church’s persecution of … 0
- Introducing Ms. Marvel (aka Kamala Khan): A superhero to counter … 0
- ‘New Republic’ writer claims Jews have ‘self-critical intellectual space’ on … 0
- Interview with Dr. Haidar Eid: ‘The Palestinian struggle is not … 0
- A loving remembrance of Peter Kaplan 0
- Preaching to the choir: reflections on Max Blumenthal’s ‘Goliath’ 337
- Corasanti responds to Abulhawa: My purpose in writing ‘The Almond … 192
- ‘NYT’ article on Palestinian refugees manages to quote Israeli govt … 138
- Netanyahu’s ‘gift’ to Pope: book on Catholic church’s persecution of … 115
- AIPAC plays the long game on new Iran sanctions 81
- The Almond Tree: When novels distort legacies of struggle 59
- Only sanctions against Israel will end occupation — Gideon Levy 58
- The country that cried wolf 58
- RT @robertdanin: Kerry-Netanyahu joint presser suggests US and #Israel have agreed to kiss and move on, if not make up. http://t.co/dwyFS9eO3f, 2 hours ago
- RT @YousefMunayyer: Kerry to Abbas: I will make you an offer you can not accept., 2 hours ago
- RT @joshruebner: Phew...all done w/ 50-event fall book tour. Just saw nice write-up of talk at OSU hosted by @CJPOSU in @Mondoweiss http://t.co/QmKzIGEfoc, 2 hours ago
- RT @MairavZ: Another outrageous but entirely not shocking decision: IDF closes probe into killing of Mustafa Tamimi in Nabi Saleh http://t.co/7tALGs9DDD, 3 hours ago
- RT @4noura: Palestinian citizens of Israel appeal to Jewish counterparts to live w/ them as neighbors, not as colonial-settlers http://t.co/dz1nRLM8jS, 4 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Netanyahu’s ‘gift’ to Pope: book on Catholic church’s persecution of Jews (115)
- Infographic: 20 Years of talks Keep Palestinians occupied — with settlers and checkpoints (3)
- seafoid: Keep it up, Ramzi. Fantastic work. I think 14 m Jews need to get a mention in the next infographic
- Israeli ambassador’s present to Obama — settlement cufflinks! (56)
- Kathleen: So rude. Time to regift them to Israel’s Senator Schumer
- Romeo and Juliet in Palestine (5)
- Walid: The above mini-discussion on Darwish and on love in the desert atlaal brings to mind the interesting...
- American Studies Association national council endorses academic boycott of Israel (29)
- Chu: Fish on BDS: ‘But the idea that an academic becomes some kind of hero by the cost-free act of denying...
- Schumer says it’s a ‘mistake’ for Kerry to criticize settlements (5)
- Shingo: Kerry should tell Shumer’s constituents it was a mistake to elect him to the senate .
- Netanyahu tweets red-telephone picture, to show how happy he is with Kerry (19)
- Erasmus: EU denies that it would suspend aid to PA if peace talks fail ….The High Representative for EU foreign...
- Shingo: They do not accept then but Abbas is just a mini dictator and has the US financed security forces to keep...
- Shingo: I expect a Jordanian denial with the next hour. Can someone explain why the Arab Spring has not arrived in...