104 young Americans reported to go join Israeli army

I can’t vouch for the source, but this item is getting a lot of airtime on American nationalists’ sites– 360 Americans immigrate to Israel, and 104 of them want to join the army. The airtime is itself a trend: Americans who are scratching their heads about the dual-loyalty issues involved in support for Israel right or wrong. (What we saw at Congressman Pat Meehan’s site, too….) Update: JTA has the story here. From Big News Network:

“It’s an honor to have you join the IDF (Israel Defense Forces) and the Israeli nation,” the Brig. Gen. [Eli Shermeister] said. “There are no words to describe my appreciation for you, your courage and the Zionistic values you hold. The State of Israel is coping with security threats every day and defending its security is the main goal of the IDF.”

…All 104 of the IDF’s inductees want to see action. The boys (61 of them) have applied to join Israel’s elite special forces units, while the the girls (43 of them) have asked to serve in either the combat canine unit, as medics, injury NCOs, education NCOs or as shooting instructors.

“My brother enlisted with the same program two years ago and he currently serves in the Givati Brigade. He told me a lot of stories and encouraged me to enlist,” Idan from New Jersey said Tuesday. “My mom lives in New Jersey and my dad lives in Israel so I’ve always had these two worlds and a deep connection to Israel. And now I am here, waiting to started my military service hopefully in the Paratroopers Brigdae.”

Posted in Israel/Palestine

{ 116 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Kate says:

This was in Ynet on 11 August, so the story is probably legit.

American olim seek combat service
    Ynet 11 Aug — Some 100 young Jewish adults from US, Canada to join IDF immediately after arriving in Israel next week; nearly all of them want to be combat soldiers … These young Jews are immigrating to Israel as part of a joint campaign launched by the Nefesh B’Nefesh organization, the Jewish Agency, Friends of the Israel Defense Forces (FIDF), Garin Tzabar of the Friends of Israel Scouts and the Immigrant Absorption Ministry.
    link to ynetnews.com

• Memphis says:

Annie, there is a great weekly blog over at foreignpolicy.com on dogs of war

link to foreignpolicy.com

It has some amazing stories of what dogs have done in combat.

Click the link and it links you to a photo essay, and the first one is of a dog sky diving out a helicopter. From there you can scroll thru and find interesting articles.

• Mooser says:

“and the first one is of a dog sky diving out a helicopter.”

Even more amazing, they debrief him after each jump, just like a human soldier! The Officer asks: “How was the landing, Lieut. Fido?”
        And of course the dog answers: “Rough!”

A visitor to the base exclaims: “You have sky-diving dogs? That’s incredible!” An official snaps back: “What’s so amazing about it? Half the time they forget to pull the rip-cord!”

• Mooser says:

“It has some amazing stories of what dogs have done in combat.”

And every one just as true as the Jessica Lynch saga! I mean, if you can’t count on the military to tell the truth about itself, what can you count on in this crazy, mixed up world?

• annie says:

And every one just as true as the Jessica Lynch saga!

the only thing wrong with jessica’s saga is her debunking of it. dogs can’t debunk hasbara.

2. annie says:

combat canine unit? gross. attacking people w/dogs.

• Dan Crowther says:

thats for finding bodies and such. the dogs sniff around for bombs, bodies etc.
      not involved in fighting, at least as far as i know – dogs were used in the US Marines as well. not a front line thing…….

• annie says:

thanks dan. maybe i got a little derailed by the ‘combat’ implications.

• dimadok says:

No you weren’t -there are actual attack dogs. To save soldier lives.

• annie says:

To save soldiers lives

ah, of course that explains it

• Chaos4700 says:

To save soldiers’ lives? Do you suppose that’s the same excuse that concentration camp guards used?

• dimadok says:

You sound surprised-do you prefer dogs over human lives? Or Israelis are not worth dogs dying for them? Every dog is trained and cared by the same soldier for the whole term of service and is discharged together with the soldier. Always after dog death soldiers receive counseling to cope with their grief and trauma. This is the ultimate bond between human and dog, and not some canine show for the bored ladies.

• annie says:

which human life? the one mauled by a dog? it isn’t enough they have bombers, tanks and guns vs children w/rocks. they have dogs to do their dirty work. i’m so over discussing this w/you. go bark up another tree. ciao

• Chaos4700 says:

How hard do you suppose it is for Israelis to train a dog to clamp down on a six-year-old Palestinian’s throat?

• Mooser says:

“Always after dog death soldiers receive counseling to cope with their grief and trauma. “

Aww, and I thought dogs were trefe.

• Mooser says:

I don’t suppose anybody ever asks the dogs if they want to do this…. oh, never mind, I just remembered the wonderful inversion of infant sexual mutilation into “practicing our religion”.

No doubt the dogs just beg to be turned into targets.

Dimmy, have you ever considered running your comments past somebody who is actually aware of modern mores before hitting “submit”. Might help you look a little less like some kind of horrible relic from the age of racist colonialism.

• POA says:

I don’t understand the thrust of this aspect of the debate.

Of course attack dogs are employed, and Dimatok is correct, ALL fighting or police forces employ such dogs. AND he is also correct in pointing out that sending a dog into a dangerous confrontation is far more desirable than risking the life of a human.

Abusing the usage of attack dogs is another story altogether. One can assume that such abuses occur, but until you can present evidence as such, it is ONLY a presumption.

But to argue that it is not moral or ethical to send in an attack dog in lieu of risking the life of a human is simply asinine. I am a dog lover, and currently have two. But if you think I would put these dog’s safety or well being above that of a family member, neighbor, or anonomous man on the street, you are not thinking too straight.

Just because someone is on the “right side” of the Isr/Pal issue does not give them a free pass to argue idiotically. It certainly doesn’t buttress their credibility when they claim a respect for ALL human life.

• dimadok says:

Judaism and treatment of animals:
          link to jewfaq.org

• eljay says:

>> But to argue that it is not moral or ethical to send in an attack dog in lieu of risking the life of a human is simply asinine.

It’s asinine to speak on behalf of the dog, who is not responsible for – and who should not be expected to risk his life for – the violent and destructive affairs of men.

One can respect all human life without abandoning respect for non-human life, and vice-versa.

• Woody Tanaka says:

“Judaism and treatment of animals:”

What does Judaism have to do with it??? I thought we were talking about Israel… Aren’t you Zionists always going on and on about how conflating the two is anti-Semitism??? Please clarify…

• dimadok says:

I can’t believe what I’m saying, but thank you. That was my point exactly.

• dimadok says:

• Mooser says:

“AND he is also correct in pointing out that sending a dog into a dangerous confrontation is far more desirable than risking the life of a human.”

Nah, we should use children instead. I mean, if they are old enough to sign their names (5 or 6 years old, if they’re smart) we can say they volunteered!
          You just don’t get it, do you? Either that or you have never had a dog.

Oh, you do have a dog? Good, I need him for mine-clearing duties, hand ‘em over. Can’t you see he wants to?

• Dan Crowther says:

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mooser says:

“Judaism and treatment of animals”

Gosh, if you Zionists didn’t have Judaism for a whipping boy, human shield and to facilitate your con games, what would you do?

And I’m supposed to trust these people? People who would use my religion to try and justify mistreating an animal? Yep, I see a bright future for Zionism! And I sure as hell hope I can keep it away from me.

• Woody Tanaka says:

Okay. Fair enough. I was busting your chops, but you were right in that. I didn’t catch Mooser’s post.

• Mooser says:

“That was my reply to Moosers notion of dogs being “trefe”-meaning unclean animals from the Galacha perspective.”

You mean since you can’t eat them, it’s alright to make canine sheilds out of them? Yes sir, remind me to get all my religious perspectives from people who are using my religion to front a racist colonial project! I mean, who could be more disinterested or honest?

• POA says:

Oh, gimmee a break.

It has NOTHING to do with “abandoning respect for non-human life”.

Fact of the matter is, often times sending in the dog actually SAVES the life of the “antagonist”. If the suspect is armed lethally, the dog will simply attack. A human, confronted with a lethally armed suspect, will use deadly force to neutralize the threat.

I stick by my assertion that you folks are arguing like idiots on this one. If you put a dog’s life above that of a human, then I suggest you take a good long look into your child’s eyes, and do a little soul searchin’.

• POA says:

“Either that or you have never had a dog”

I’ve had dogs my entire life.

Currently have two of them. A five year old border collie/shepard mix, and a two year old basset/beagle mix.

And as much as I love them, if sending them into harms way would spare the life of a human being, I’d do it in a hot flash.

And if you’d do different, theres something wrong with you.

• POA says:

Uh, ok.

• eee says:

POA,

Those people are called “universalists”. They have a weird view of life. They value their kids just as much as they value your kids (hey, they would even willingly pay your kid’s college tuition) and they also value their dogs as much as their kids.

• POA says:

“I can’t believe what I’m saying, but thank you. That was my point exactly”

Well, Dimatok, thats the difference between you and I.

I will argue for any position I find to be a moral imperitive. I will NOT argue for a position I consider to be immoral.

Your constant defense of the indefensible separates you from any such claims.

• Obviously, as POA points out, risking the life of a dog is an appropriate alternative to risking the life of a person. Even IDF soldiers. Yes, Israelis are people, too. As much as many of us might find the policies of Israel abhorrent, or the actions of a great many of its soldiers reprehensible, I do not think any of us should expect the IDF to choose canine life over the life of its soldiers.

On the other hand, Annie, of course, is right to expect the worst. I’m sure the dogs in the canine units have been turned on unarmed, non-threatening Palestinians on occasion. While the use of canine units in the military is commonly for non-combat and defensive roles, given the Israel Defense Forces’ track record, it is safe to assume that dogs will -or have been- used as merely one more means of terrorizing Palestinians.

In any case, we likely have more important issues to debate than this speculation.

• Mooser says:

SO you think that if we value the lives of dogs less, we will value the lives of children more? You know, I’ve read that varmint psychosis or killing of animals often precedes serial killing. Maybe if we just gave those guys enough animals to kill, they won’t go after people?

• Shingo says:

Judaism and treatment of animals:

Yeah, here it is folks.

Animal abuse on the streets of Tel Aviv
          link to haaretz.com

link to ynetnews.com

How animal abuse Impacts Israeli society
          link to ferris.edu

• Ellen says:

“canine show for the bored ladies.”

What exactly does that mean?

Real men have war dogs and the rest are “bored ladies?”

• Memphis says:

dimadok. Alot of times teh dogs have more than one handler and are not always able to be adopted by their handlers family once combat is over. But alot of times they are. CLick the link I gave to annie, there are some great stories about dogs in war

• Mooser says:

“They have a weird view of life. They value their kids just as much as they value your kids (hey, they would even willingly pay your kid’s college tuition)”

You mean they try to love others as they love themselves? I’ve never heard anything so disgusting! That’s something like that religious traitor Jesus used to say, huh? Very un-Jewish, very!
          Everybody know the real truth, and of course it’s only common sense: if I kill your kids, my kids will have a much better life, since it’s all just a zero sum game, huh?
          And of course, if I can kill you are your kids and your dogs, I’ve won the jackpot, cause after all, I’m going to live forever.
          I’ve only got one question, eee, and you are just the guy to answer it: After I kill them, do I need to decapitate them, shrink their heads, and do a dance around the shrunken heads to insure I won’t be troubled by their evil spirits? It’s an awful lot of work.

• Mooser says:

“They have a weird view of life. They value their kids just as much as they value your kids”

Well, don’t stop there, eee! Please, give us all the relevant biblical, Talmudic and Apocryphal references which show that loving others as we love ourselves is very, very heretical, blasphemous in fact, to the observant Jew!

Hey, eee, you know what I just figured out? I bet anti-Semitism springs from the fact that people have the wrong idea about Jews. I’m sure when you tell them the true basis of Judaism (your kids are less important then mine) all anti-Semitism will disappear.
          But still, I get so mad when I think that people spread those kind of disgusting lies about us. You know, accusing us of loving others as ourselves. What kind of a person would spread lies like that about us?

• Mooser says:

“two year old basset/beagle mix.”

Frankly, I can’t believe you would countenance such barbarity! However did that to that poor dog’s legs should go to jail!

• eljay says:

>> Oh, gimmee a break.
          >> It has NOTHING to do with “abandoning respect for non-human life”.

Right, it just has to do with respecting non-human life until you need it to die for you because you and other humans created some fucked up shit that you don’t want to have to deal with yourselves.

Be prepared to die – or to send your kids to die – for the shit you create. Don’t volunteer an animal to die for you.

I stick by my assertion that you’re arguing like an idiot on this one.

• Mooser says:

“If the suspect is armed lethally….”

…he drills the hound right between the eyes, or gut shoots him. Whoops, sorry, poor doggie.

Only a coward makes animals do his dirtywork.

• Mooser says:

“canine units have been turned on unarmed, non-threatening Palestinians on occasion.”

“On occasion”? Please, grow up. You yourself just just gave all the reasons why dogs should be used for Palestinian crowd control, after all, have you ever looked into the eyes of a young, batshit insane settler?

• Mooser says:

“are not always able to be adopted by their handlers family once combat is over”

That is a very nice way of saying they pretty much have to be killed because they are a danger to people, isn’t it?

• Mooser says:

“OK, so we have a bunch of people on here that think their child’s well being and safety is worth no more than a dog’s well being and safety.

I am sure all armies show dogs the same respect and care they once showed horses and mules. If there’s one thing you can count on the military for, it’s respect for life.

• eee says:

Mooser,

You probably do not have kids. Anybody that tells you that she values her kids exactly the same as someone else’s kids is a liar. I love my kids, and am willing to do pretty much everything for them. I can’t say that for other people’s kids. What you don’t understand is that FOR ME my kids are more important than other people’s kids and I of course accept the fact that FOR THEM their kids are more important than mine. That is the nature of the world and why universalism is bogus.

• RoHa says:

“between you and I. ”

Wrong. It’s “between you and me”.

• POA says:

So, Mooser. Lemmee see if I’ve got this right. You think that dog, mule, and horse handlers in the military mistreat their animals, just by merit of the fact that they are in the military.

Ah yes, they reached out for the opportunity to work with animals because they just couldn’t wait to torture the dirty beasts.

Yeah, Mooser, yer makin’ alotta sense now!!! You get any more sensical, and we’ll hafta play “Bray along with Moose”.

• POA says:

Mooser, may I presume to suggest that if you feel the need to comment further, you do so with a series of he-haw, he-haws?

I see no reason for you to be commenting here in a second language, and am quite sure that you would be much more comfortable commenting in your native tongue.

• POA says:

“How (Who???) ever did that to that poor dog’s legs should go to jail!”

I don’t know ’bout that.

When the little guy gets his nose on a cottontail’s spore, you’d swear those stubby little limbs were actually wings.

• POA says:

“Right, it just has to do with respecting non-human life until you need it to die for you because you and other humans created some fucked up shit that you don’t want to have to deal with yourselves”

Yeah, like some PCP smoking maniac holed up in a crawl space, armed with a knife. By all means, send in some kid’s father or mother, in lieu of sending in a trained dog.

You people are thinking before you type some of this crap?

• Danaa says:

POA, what your are is a specist. What makes a human, an arbitrary human, better than the least of my cats? (since I don’t have a dog)?

Some would say that animals are in many ways superior to humans (OK, some animals). Domesticated breeds like cats and dogs (yes, I know, horses too) have adopted humans and rendered them great service through the ages in quadzillion ways. We owe them, and then some.

From my limited experience I noticed that people who have little concern for animals, have not much of it for kids either. many times, their own included. It’s not a coincidence that in NYC if you want people to be nice to you, just walk a dog (borrow one if you must). Nothing like an urban jungle for people to look for symbols of kindness.

And no, I don’t eat flesh, and when I did – back some many days ago, it would never be something that was slaughtered kosher style, which – as everyone knows, is highly abusive to animals. A barbaric practice that should be outlawed, just like certain voodoo rituals.

Totally OT, I know. Couldn’t resist – didn’t like the callousness displayed towards other species. No wonder we always dread them nasty alien invaders (hollywood style). Suspect the nastiness of ‘aliens’ – and their ugliness is probably because we project the same specism on them that we are guilty of ourselves (in the aggregate; all the good animal loving individuals exempted – may we all be safe from them alien marauders).

• tree says:

I’m surprised no one else has mentioned this from the Goldstone Report. IDF soldiers sent in dogs AFTER they sent in Palestinian civilians. Starting from page 222.

1050. The soldiers brought Majdi Abd Rabbo a megaphone and told him to use it to call the militants. He initially refused but did so under threat. As instructed, he told the militants to
          surrender, that ICRC was present and they could hand themselves over. There was no response.

1051. By then, night had fallen. Majdi Abd Rabbo was again handcuffed and taken back to the house of the HS/09 family. Thirty to forty minutes later, he heard shooting and a huge explosion. Soldiers came to tell him that they had bombed HS/08’s house and ordered him to go in again and check on the fighters.

1052. The Israeli armed forces had floodlit the area. Majdi Abd Rabbo found both his and HS/08’s house very badly damaged. He could not use the roof of his house to enter HS/08’s house, as it had collapsed. He went back to the soldiers, who again made him strip, this time to
          his underwear. He asked where his family was and said that he could not reach the fighters because of the damage to the houses. He accused the soldiers of destroying his house. The officer said that they had only hit HS/08’s house. Majdi Abd Rabbo was then handcuffed. Until this time, he had been given no food or water, and it was very cold. After a while, his handcuffs were removed, he was told to dress and taken back to the HS/09 family house, to the room where
          he found that other people were being held. All the men and boys in this room were handcuffed and their ankles were tied. A soldier came with some drinking glasses and smashed them at the entrance to the room where they were being held. After smashing the glasses, he left again.

Majdi Abd Rabbo had developed a severe headache. Another detainee, who spoke Hebrew, called a soldier to say that Majdi Abd Rabbo was sick and needed medicine. The soldier told him to keep quiet or he would be shot. A woman tied a scarf around Majdi Abd Rabbo’s head to ease the pain.

1053. At around 7 a.m., Majdi Abd Rabbo was taken back to the soldiers outside. He was questioned about the number of fighters in the house. He confirmed that he had seen only three.

1054. Two young Palestinian men from the neighbourhood were brought over. A soldier gave them a camera and told them to go into the house and take photos of the fighters. The two tried to refuse, and were beaten and kicked. The soldier showed them how to use the camera and they went into HS/08’s house through the damaged main entrance. About 10 minutes later, they came back with photos of the three fighters. Two appeared to be dead, under rubble. The third was also trapped by rubble but appeared to be alive and was still holding his firearm. A soldier showed Majdi Abd Rabbo the photos and asked if these were the same people. He confirmed they were.

1055. A soldier took the megaphone and told the fighters that they had 15 minutes to surrender, that the neighbourhood was under the control of the Israeli armed forces and that, if they did not
          surrender, they would hit the house with an air strike.

1056. Fifteen minutes later, a soldier came with a dog, which had electronic gear attached to its body and what looked like a camera on its head. Another soldier had a small laptop. The dog handler sent the dog into the house. A few minutes later, shots were heard and the dog came running out. It had been shot and subsequently died.

1057. At around 10.30 a.m. on 6 January 2009, a bulldozer arrived and started to level the house. The bulldozer moved from east to west, demolishing everything in its way. Majdi Abd Rabbo watched it demolish his own house and HS/08’s house. He and the two young men were told to go back to the HS/09 house. They heard shooting.

1058. At around 3 p.m., he was taken back close to the site of his and HS/08’s house. He told the Mission that he saw the bodies of the three fighters lying on the ground in the rubble of the house.

1059. The soldiers then forced him to enter other houses on the street as they searched them. All the houses were empty. The soldiers forced him to go into the house alone initially and, when he
          came out, sent in a dog to search the house.
          During the house searches he managed to find some water to drink, the first drink he had had for two days. At midnight, the soldiers took him back to the HS/09 family house.

link to www2.ohchr.org

Brave, brave IDF soldiers. Sent in 2 young Palestinian men, a dog and a bulldozer to face an injured fighter trapped under the rubble. What heroism! (and yes, that is meant as snark.)

• American says:

Yea I agree…there are some people I wouldn’t risk my dogs life for. Dogs are more special than humans come to think of it.
          I have an attack horse, Red’s Royal, he tries to trample anyone that get between me and him….do attack horses count?

• American says:

“OK, so we have a bunch of people on here that think their child’s well being and safety is worth no more than a dog’s ”

Get a grip, no one said that.

• American says:

Didn’t I read some time ago about some Rabbis in Isr wanting to kill a stray dog outside their temple because they though he was evil or bad luck or something?

• GuiltyFeat says:

I’m not a fan of dogs or cats, but I’ve never hated them enough to buy one, castrate it and decide on a daily basis when it’s allowed to eat and shit while calling it “my pet”.

Not a big fan of horses either, but I’ve never despised one enough to put a bit in its mouth and ride on its back.

• Danaa says:

Why, GF, it’s clear you are no friend of animals, period (eating them doesn’t count). But you are kind of religious no? Judaism – as practiced in the holey land – has a very conflicted relationship with pets. So how many kippa wearing pet possessing people do you know in israel? I’m especially curious about cats (because I actually know one such who has a dog, but none I heard of with cats).

Based on the totality of comments here, your problematic attitude – and understanding – of animals – and their relationship to humans, is second only to the questionable attitudes you display towards people not sharing in your illustrious religion.

Perhaps a little less religion and a bit more empathy towards other creatures who share the planet with you would be in order? just suggesting, you know – out of pure concern for your mental state (which seems to have been a bit shaky of late).

• Lightbringer says:

You see, there is more to every Jewish law than an ignorant observer might ever notice.

Well, whatever -dogs are barking but the caravan still goes on after few millenniums.

• Cliff says:

Oh i see now, gf. We are no better than idf soldiers for keeping dogs as pets!

• Donald says:

I agree with POA that human life is more important than an animal’s life, while also loving animals. I’m not sure that spraying insults around is the best way to argue that position, but whatever.

But while everyone is arguing about dogs vs. people, we’ve got eee once again displaying a pretty common non sequitur right here–

“What you don’t understand is that FOR ME my kids are more important than other people’s kids and I of course accept the fact that FOR THEM their kids are more important than mine. That is the nature of the world and why universalism is bogus.”

That last sentence is absurd. Of course people value the lives of their own children, relatives, and friends more than those of strangers. But any progress people make in morality depends on the recognition that this doesn’t justify tribal morality. Universalism is what keeps us from thinking it’s okay to steal from others or kill them because their lives aren’t as valuable as ours.

• GuiltyFeat says:

Jeepers, Danaa, reread my comment. It was meant to be a joke.

I don’t like dogs, but I’ve never hated one enough to castrate it and make it my pet, geddit? I grew up with a beagle called Kelly who “went to live on a farm” when I was young. Later my mum adopted a number of cats that came to the back door looking for food.

At my office at הנמל תל אביב there are 25 people and 5 dogs. I find Israel to be a very pet loving culture. I guess by nature I am more of a dog person than a cat person, but these days I have no interest in picking up another creature’s shit. I changed enough diapers in my life, I’m done with cleaning up poop, no matter what species it comes from.

My children would love us to get a dog as they think all the walking would be good for me.

Most of the frum families I know have pets. Dogs, cats, parakeets, guinea pigs, whatever. Perfectly normal stuff. I really wonder sometimes if you’re a little bit crazy with your bizarre and unfounded generalizations about Israelis and dati’im.

And thanks for your concern about my mental state. I was beginning to think you didn’t care.

• Chaos4700 says:

It was meant to be a joke.

Do you wonder why almost nobody takes you seriously and credibly, GF? You really shouldn’t.

At my office at הנמל תל אביב

Oooh, I didn’t study Hebrew in school. Can you give the name of that place that it was originally called in Arabic? I’ll have better luck with that. ;)

• GuiltyFeat says:

נמל תל אביב is simply Tel Aviv Port a few kilometers north of Jaffa, originally opened in 1938. Sorry for the confusion.

I don’t believe the port of Tel Aviv ever had an earlier Arabic name. I’m sure you’ll tell me if I’m wrong.

• Danaa says:

So, GF, next time when I am in Israel will you introduce me to a frum family with cat(s)? I promise to revise my opinion(s) about attitudes to animals instantaneously. But they have to be authentic datiim (as certified by yours truly), and the cat(s) will have to have been with them for at least 6 months, litter and all. Oh yes, one more caveat – could they please be of the genuine israeli variety (rather than the recently-arrived from US/other Anglo country)? That for obvious reasons (once Anglo, always anglo…)

The reason for my not-so-measured response was that you seem to have focused on animal waste. I don’t know how to tell you that, but for most people who keep and/or foster animals, there’s more to them than natural elimination functions. Kind of like kids – what most of us remember about our kids when little are things other than diapers. But you seem to have been profoundly affected by all that bodily waste. Traumatized even?

As your cyber-therapist (and a stand-in for the Rabbi), I recommend that you listen to the kids and get that dog pronto (a Labrador would fit the bill – you need one of those badly – a puppy should do the trick). Kids are right about the walking too – clears the mind, which, how can I say it nicely? needs some attick airing. I know all that walking and waste shoveling may cut into MW posting time, but hey, most of us manage –

• Lightbringer says:

I really could not understand why to send in dogs and civilians.
          It would be much easier just to bomb the shit out of them.
          As of international community – no-one appreciates Israel’s efforts to save any lives, so why bother at all?

• POA says:

“combat canine unit? gross. attacking people w/dogs.”

this is a thread on young american’s volunteeering to serve in the IDF, annie. i’m not sure how this opinion is relevant to this thread

• Mooser says:

POA, when the dogs line up to volunteer, and sign their names to a recruitment form, I’ll be okay with them being in the army. And I really don’t see how expanding war to include coerced animals does any good for children. In fact, quite the opposite.
        But like I said, I need your dogs for mine-clearing duties. Naturally, I can’t be too fussy about where they go, or if they get blown up, their only dogs, and I’ve looked into the eyes of children.

• eee says:

Of course, you also want cows to sign up to be food also, right? The chances of the dog surviving are much higher than the cow in the feed lot. You are an extremist.

• Shingo says:

Of course, in Israel raising cattle for food means abusing and torturing them.

The chances of the dog surviving are much higher than the cow in the feed lot

So raising a cow to be used as food means havign to treat it like this?
          link to youtube.com

Now remind us who is the extremist.

• eee says:

What are you talking about? Are you saying all cattle in Israel are cruelly treated? That is a bigoted generalization and of course not true. Your hatred of Israel is such that you cannot even concede an obvious point.

• Shingo says:

You’re welcome to prove me wrong eee, but you won’t because you can’t.

If you treat other human beins like animals, then what reason do you have to treat animals any better?

• Lightbringer says:

You are the extremist.
          Cow slaughtered in such manner is not kosher.

“You are an extremist.”

How dare you, sir, how dare you? An extremist? Why, if I wasn’t so crushed, so hurt by an Israeli fascist calling me an extremist I’d, well, I’d become an “atheist Jew”.

• Mooser says:

“Cow slaughtered in such manner is not kosher.”

Gee, I wonder what the kosher way to slaughter people is?

• Lightbringer says:

People are only kosher if consumed alive.

3. Dan Crowther says:

Extreme cowardice is rarely as obvious as it is here. they’re own country is “at war” thanks in large part to the Israeli’s but, instead of joining the US military (where they might be engaged in real combat against an armed enemy) they join the “lets shoot some rock throwers” brigade. Cowards, Cowards, Cowards.

For the record, Im not advocating joining ANY military.

• dimadok says:

These cowards who train US Marines….?
      link to idf.il
      link to rpdefense.over-blog.com
      link to marinecorpstimes.com

Reality check,please and some water.

• Chaos4700 says:

Yeah, American Marines can do without training from specialists in torture and assassination. I think WW2 proved that Americans are quite capable of fighting a war without help. ESPECIALLY from fascists.

• Dan Crowther says:

Dimadok,

Im a former Marine myself. Ive done several joint trainings with the IDF. “training” is a bit different than “combat.” And let me make something abundantly clear – the IDF does not and did not “train” US Marines at that installation – they just run the facility. They are like the custodian who opens the gym up for the kids to play. And the US paid for it, per your article from marinetimes

“Built by the Army Corps of Engineers and funded largely from U.S. military aid, the 7.4-square-mile generic city — balad, in Arabic, means village — consists of 1,100 basic modules that can be reconfigured by mission planners to represent specific towns.

The IDF couldnt hold our jockstrap, nevermind training already combat tested US Marines. The Marines doing some of their training there is a political thing a photo op for Israel, which they obviously took advantage of; and the whole bit about “it being better than what we have etc” is nonsense. Their trying to justify the cost to US taxpayers.

• dimadok says:

Marine combat training and IDF training are quite different in their approaches, same goes to the warfare tactics and operating procedures.
          If you are a former Marine, you may see the differences, same is comparing Vietcong and Marines, Taliban and Marines, or SAS and Marines. Every location has it’s unique military profile and smart people don’t make a pissing contest out of it.

• Woody Tanaka says:

“the IDF… just run the facility. They are like the custodian who opens the gym up for the kids to play.”

LOL. I guess making the IDF do it is cheaper than flying in American janitors. I guess that the members of “the world’s most moral army” are real good at wielding a mop.

• Dan Crowther says:

Dimadok,

You said the IDF trains Marines. I know for a fact they dont. That seems to be the end of the pissing contest. your right about one thing, each has a “unique military profile” The Israeli “military profile” is getting their ass kicked by 1200 Hezbollah fighters in southern lebanon – the US Marine profile is “the single greatest fighting force on earth.”

• The Israeli “military profile” is getting their ass kicked by 1200 Hezbollah fighters in southern Lebanon…

Thanks, Dan!!

• Mooser says:

“the US Marine profile is “the single greatest fighting force on earth.”

And that’s not all! About 30 years ago I went (by invitation) to a drag ball at the San Francisco Hilton, held to inaugurate the “King”, “Queen” and subsidiary royalty of San Francisco (sponsored by the Tavern Guild, bless their public-spirited hearts)
          Besides being a great fighting force (just ask them), Marines also look great in Empire gowns.

• Ellen says:

dim, you are weaseling and beginning to sound like Witty.

You linked to propaganda sites. Dan called you out on it. Then you blather.

• Mooser says:

Ellen, I think Dan Crowther really hurt dimadok’s feelings when he disclaimed a brothers-in-arms relationship with the IDF.
          Dimadok got a bit non-plussed. Crowther should have let eee down easy, spurning his proffered love like that was harsh.

• dimadok says:

IDF And US Marines Train Together In Urban Warfare

link to liveleak.com
          link to guardian.co.uk

• Dan Crowther says:

HAHAHAHA!!!! YEA WE DO!!!

Cheers Mooser!!

• Shingo says:

IDF And US Marines Train Together In Urban Warfare

As Dan already told you Dim, these are simply photo ops for Israel.

• Shingo says:

Thanks for that great post Dan.

• Shingo says:

Marine combat training and IDF training are quite different in their approaches

No shit.

The IDF shoot unarmed protesters and treat rock throwers as an existential threat.

• Chaos4700 says:

Do you have to wonder how many US Marines cringe when the IDF trainees shoot the popups of the little girls and the elderly, and then pat themselves on the back and boast about how they shot more targets than the Americans?

• American says:

Yes thanks Dan!

• pjdude says:

true the US marines are trained to fight people who can legiatimately fight back unlike the IDF which is trained to fight against poorly armed and poorly trained rabble.

• The Marines are part of an army. The IDF are conscripted kids who learn how to occupy, humiliate and dream up new ways to make life hell for farmers, women and children. The are an occupation military police force, whose mollycoddled lives and deluded fantasies about their ‘rights’ would send them running home to their mothers in the event of real combat. Breaking The Silence are the only people with real balls.

• Mooser says:

Thank You Dan! It was a great night, I (and my wife) had a wonderful time. I still miss “Char Cole”, “Nora Neat”, “Ruby” and the rest of the girl… guy…. well, whatever, they were tremendous fun, tougher than nails, and back then on both sides of the sexual divide joy was unconfined.

And I think you really hurt dimadok’s little feelings, he’s still sending in links to prove the Marines and the IDF sleep together.

4. Woody Tanaka says:

I don’t have a problem with this. (So long as they leave their US citizenship at the shoreline.)

• yourstruly says:

how many would enlist in the idf if they knew they’d lose their u.s. citizenship?

• Woody Tanaka says:

I’m sure that the thought of not being able return to the US after a Wanderjahr of stealing Palestinian land and oppressing Palestinian people would dissuade most of these pukes.

But my issue isn’t just the idf. I would apply it to any country. My issue is that if you’re an American, you’re an American. If you want to run off to some other country, then you’re not an American anymore. Simplistic? Perhaps.

• eljay says:

>> My issue is that if you’re an American, you’re an American. If you want to run off to some other country, then you’re not an American anymore. Simplistic? Perhaps.

Makes perfect sense to me. If you’re a soldier willing to fight for (and perhaps die for) Country X, or a politician putting Country X’s welfare before the welfare of your own country and the citizens you represent, it’s time to move on and become a citizen of Country X.

• Shingo says:

Well put Yourstruly.

These people are brave when they know they’ll be facing unarmed protesters or sitting in the cockpit of an F16.

Let’s see them face down a rea fighting force on the ground, and like you said, without the security blanket of a US passport.

• Ellen says:

Under US law US citizens are only able to participate in COMPULSORY military service when they hold duel citizenship.

It is a big gray zone and not advisable if you want to keep us citizenship:

Although a person’s enlistment in the armed forces of a foreign country may not constitute a violation of U.S. law, it could subject him or her to Section 349(a)(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1481(a)(3)] which provides for loss of U.S. nationality if an American voluntarily and with the intention of relinquishing U.S. citizenship enters or serves in foreign armed forces engaged in hostilities against the United States or serves in the armed forces of any foreign country as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer.

link to travel.state.gov

• RoHa says:

When I registered my son at the British Embassy in Washington, they warned me that he could lose his US citizenship if he enlisted in the armed forces of any country other than the US.

5. How would this be reported if it were American Muslims joining the resistance movement in Palestine? Like this: US imam urges muslims to join Hamas for jihad

So much for that BS about muslims in America wanting to integrate and leave the barbarism of the middle east behind.

6. Shingo says:

Im scrating my head wondering why they call it dual loyalty. There isn’t any loyalty to the US that I can see.

7. Memphis says:

I would definetly, no question about it, save my dog before the life of stranger.

Humans are evil, vile creatures, hell, this site reports this vileness on a daily basis. A bit nihilistic, I know. But I dont’ care, my dog will save me before most humans would. He would not hesitate to save my life, so I grant him the same respect

• POA says:

“I would definetly, no question about it, save my dog before the life of stranger”

Well, than the IDF has some enlistment papers for you to sign. If you don’t wanna move, you might wanna consider contacting the CIA. They have a place for you. Definitely desirable, you are. They looooove people like you.

And, uh, I understand Lindy England is looking for a spouse. You might consider applying for the position.

• Mooser says:

“But I dont’ care, my dog will save me before most humans would.”

You’re a lucky person, and have a wonderful dog! I was cleaning out my dog’s kennel yesterday when I noticed she had a big blow-up of a picture of me on the wall, that she seemed to have colored in. I looked closer and it was divided into steaks, roasts and chops!

• Memphis says:

Lmao, Mooser, my dog is a vegetarian.

• Mooser says:

“Lmao, Mooser, my dog is a vegetarian.”

Seriously, there’s a lot of new attitudes about feeding dogs and cats, they actually consume a lot more vegetable matter than you would think. I’ve been seeing non-meat dog foods in the pet store.
        I’m without a dog right now, I lost poor Shirley about a year ago to old age, and haven’t got a new dog yet. One will come, either from the pound, or we will adopt a stray or unwanted dog.

8. American says:

I was going to make a serious comment but I laughed so hard at Woody and Mooser I can’t think what it was.

So I will just say if those guys want to go serve in the IDF let ‘em go.
    No lose to us.