We’ve almost reached our fundraising goal–please kick in!

saccoexcerpt
Every donation of $100 or more will get matched by an anonymous donor and get you a copy of Joe Sacco’s book Footnotes in Gaza. (Image: Joe Sacco)

Dear readers,

Our fundraiser is coming to a close in four days and we need a little bit more help! Thanks to the generosity of our incredible readers, we’re close to our goal (see the counter on the right), and this is your chance to get us there, and get a tax-deduction to boot

This website doesn’t run on fumes. We need money. It used to be a labor of love. The two of us were willing to sacrifice sanity and health and lavish lifestyles for the sake of a cause–getting Americans to talk about a central foreign policy issue. But the site is nearly six years old and we still keep it fresh seven days a week and none of seeks a lavish lifestyle but we need to make this place more professional. That’s why we have our new A team (Alex, Allison and Annie, all helping out) and why we are trying to keep saner hours and why we are trying to make the posts more substantive than ever.
We need you to help out. We don’t bring a gray donation curtain over your reading experience. We don’t have popup ads with hard-to-find exit-clickers. We just run fundraisers twice a year to try and raise $40,000.

Thanks,
Phil and Adam
Posted in Israel/Palestine

{ 20 comments... read them below or add one }

1. patm says:

I’m starting do some fundraising for mondo. I hope it pans out.

For anyone who wants to pitch in, the most important piece of information imo is this:

“Here is Phil Weiss writing about the current fundraiser:

I also added:

The site has grown since I joined, and the level of discussion in the comments sections is often astonishing. I mostly read and learn, but I do make the odd comment under the handle patm.

When I wrote to a longtime friend asking how to reach their Jewish friends in NY, I added:

I’ve no idea if they are anti-Zionists or ‘liberal’ Zionists; it is the latter group that needs to get on the bandwagon, and pronto.

2. Kathleen says:

Will link the fundraiser around.

3. MHughes976 says:

Trying to donate from the UK – it worked last time, but this time it seems I need to belong to an American state and to have a zip code.

• Thanks, we’ve heard about this issue and are looking into it.

• patm says:

FUNDRAISING, ANOTHER SUGGESTION

During the last fundraiser, I contacted the offices of two of the wealthiest men in America, through windows on one of their web sites.

I knew I needed an attention-grabber, and that I would be talking to staff. So I typed in these two sentences:

Is Mr. X concerned about the growing power of the Israel lobby in American politics?

If so, would he consider making a donation to Mondoweiss? (I used the url, not the word.)

I thought this was still a bit skimpy, and I didn’t want to leave the impression that this was an official mondo message, so I added one of my seemingly inexhaustible supply of English idioms:

I am a commenter on Mondoweiss, and I am writing to you off my own bat. After a thank you, I typed my name.

***
        I don’t know if either man gave a donation, but I do think my attention-grabber was pretty good.

• Eva Smagacz says:

Couldn’t make a donation on the website, so went to networkforgood.org website and donated from there.

4. ritzl says:

I donated a little two weeks ago. Does that count? :)

Keep up the good work.

5. Mooser says:

Oy! I lost my gold star, which, unfortunately was applied to my name in error. But now that I’ve had it, my name doesn’t look right without it. But I know how to get it back, and I will.

• LeaNder says:

Not in error, but done by a technical nitwit.

I seem to be always slightly ahead of the official fundraiser. Paypal doesn’t connect to the software for the stars, sad as it is. This time I used the wrong option. Someone must have attributed the two stars manually for a short time, but after that they were gone again.

Maybe the stars are only connected with the top two buttons, if you choose 120 annually, as I did, and then add one subscription for Mooser one for me, as I did, it can’t work technically. It feels the supporter star should be connected to every recurring donation from 60$ on at least as long as it isn’t canceled.

But it seems the number of supporters has disappeared too, maybe they are having an afterthought about the stars? But it feels it was a good decision.

Did I solve your riddle?

• lobewyper says:

Just one more piece of evidence that the moose will inherit the earth…

6. JanetB says:

Okay I gave this to myself as my Xmas present again.

7. Saleema says:

Last time I donated, I was supposed to receive a gift. Two books, I believe, because I made donations twice–different amounts. I never got them. :(

8. patm says:

MONDOWEISS Winter FUNDRAISER: More Suggestions

For commenters and readers who want to pitch in and do some fund raising, the most important points it seems to me are these:

Mondoweiss Objectives: 2011 Winter Fundraiser

1. To stop the atrocities perpetrated daily against Palestinians by violent and brainwashed IDF youths, and by murderous, land-thieving, illegal settlers who live on the hilltops.

2. To help Palestinians win their 100-year old struggle to free themselves from the Zionist invaders who occupy their lands.

3. To make citizens aware of the growing political power of the Israel Lobby, as in its growing ability to influence votes in the U.S. Congress. e.g. the 23 standing ovations for Netanyahu. Provide url to Friedman quote re “buying votes.”

4. Money Target, winter 2011: “Our target is $40,000. And half of that is matching funds from generous large donors. So we need $20,000 from readers during this holiday season. Our reader fundraising drives account for nearly half our yearly budget, the rest comes from individual donors. We do not receive finding from foundations or organizations. All contributions are tax-deductible, thanks to our sponsor, the Center for Economic Research and Social Change.” Phil Weiss

The Mondoweiss website is growing by leaps and bounds and the level of discussion in the comments sections is often astonishing. Check it out!

AND MAKE A DONATION

9. patm says:

A fundraiser appeal wherein I take a tough stand on Israel Lobbyists.

The other day I posted this comment on the “Why did it take 6 years to talk about the Israel Lobby?” thread:

“Newcomers may be interested to know that hophmi is a lobbyist for the Israel Lobby. He accuses me of “playing dirty” by announcing this on Mondoweiss. My answer to him: We are not engaged in a game on this site.”

“The Israel Lobby is a cancer that must be excised from the body politic in countries around the globe. The ill-conceived Zionist colonial project in Palestine has put people everywhere in grave danger.”

“You’ll find another Israel lobbyist (“eee”) on this thread. Phil and Adam might consider insisting that all lobbyists identify themselves as such in their commenter profiles, and that they make a donation to Mondoweiss before they start spewing their propaganda”

I encourage all newcomers to make a donation to Mondoweiss, and consider doing some fundraising. In the short time I’ve been here, the site has grown by leaps and bounds, and as Phil states in his fundraiser appeal “it doesn’t run on fumes.”

10. I LOVE MONDOWEISS!

just had to say that
    ;)

you rock my world

11. lobewyper says:

Anyone planning to deduct their Mondoweiss donation from their 2011 taxable income must donate by December 31st of this year.

12. MHughes976 says:

My latest attempt to donate from the UK was successful!