Ayub Asaliya was on his way to school last Sunday

535585097
Ayub Asaliya

My heart keeps breaking over him, the loving hand touching his face, the loss felt by the person cupping his cheek for the last time. Is that his father? Ever since I first saw his photo, I cannot recall where but there was no name for him, he symbolized all the martyred children of Palestine for me. I didn’t know who he was but I kept his photo on my desktop and have been looking at it for days.

Today, for no particular reason I came upon Shayna’s blog, and a post she had written titled Ayub Asaliya:

Ayub was a little twelve-year-old boy on his way to school who was killed by the IDF “shelling”. Hearing about little Ayub really hit me hard. I think it is because he was on his way to school. The little boy was doing the “right thing” headed to school, and his life here was taken from him by dudes conducting war in a civilian population.

I don’t like when people use emotionally charged words to convey their message. But I think about it, it really is like little Ayub was murdered on the way to school. I don’t think a child deserves that.

I don’t know when I will stop crying over Ayub. I think what happened to him, speaks to the wrong of conducting war on a civilian population.

I wish I could find a picture of Ayub from when he was alive, because I would like to post it here.

I knew this was the boy in my photo. After googling his name I came upon another photo of him. Yes, it was the same boy. AFP says he was killed last Sunday.

Shayna’s blog is covered with pink roses, belly dancing and surfing. And Ayub too. If anyone finds a photo of Ayub when he was alive, could you please send it to @shaynaamour.

Shayna, thank you for expressing such beauty and purity of heart.

(Reports on Ayub’s death found here, here, and @mshafiquk )

About Annie Robbins

Annie Robbins is Editor at Large for Mondoweiss, a mother, a human rights activist and a ceramic artist. She lives in the SF bay area. Follow her on Twitter @anniefofani

1. justicewillprevail
    March 18, 2012, 3:23 pm

That photo is heart wrenching, the pathos is unbearable. It speaks more eloquently than a thousand diatribes against the monsters who do this with no shame or retribution. It should be displayed everywhere, except of course the Israeli smear machine will go into overdrive, such is the heartlessness of their ideology.

2. eGuard
    March 18, 2012, 3:59 pm

Please stop mentioning the IDF, and in such an accusing way. He fell from a swing. And, by the way, he fell from the swing on the flight. They all do.

• shayna amour
      March 19, 2012, 10:52 pm

God bless you. I have no idea what you are talking about, but what you wrote sounds so wicked. He did not fall from a swing, Ayub was killed by the IDF.

3. Sherri Munnerlyn
    March 18, 2012, 5:22 pm

There was a Palestinian American murdered in Texas, who spoke about the children who died in this conflict, his body found in a lake, after he was reportedly under FBI investigation. There certainly is huge resistance to speaking about these Palestinian children murdered by Israel, and publishing pictures of their faces. Their faces need to be plastered everywhere, on milk cartons, on billboards, we need to force the people everywhere to look at their faces, and to see it is not their children, it is our children being killed. All children, we need to see them each one as “our children.”

4. Sherri Munnerlyn
    March 18, 2012, 6:13 pm

The man who died in Texas in mysterious circumstances that I addressed in my last post, his name was Riad Elsohl Hamad, he was a teacher, he worked with Palestine Children’s Welfare Fund.

link to la.indymedia.org

• Annie Robbins
      March 18, 2012, 7:30 pm

i remember this very well sherri. very mysterious. i would say more about him but not now..not right now. thanks

5. Sherri Munnerlyn
    March 18, 2012, 9:08 pm

Over the weekend, my niece was sending all of her friends on facebook a link to a very effective You Tube video about Joseph Kony.

link to youtube.com

Joseph Kony has the honor/dishonor of being the number one man wanted by the ICC for war crimes, related to his abduction of children who are forced to become child sex slaves and child soldiers in his Rebel Army in Uganda and surrounding countries in Africa. What this video demonstrates is how people of conscience have been able to join together, taking on the cause of children, to bring the US government to send 100 soldiers to Uganda to assist in capturing Joseph Kony.

I believe the cause of the children being killed and injured and maimed in the Israeli Palestinian conflict could be used in a similar fashion to open the eyes of people in the US to the plight these children are facing, as well as other innocent civilians, and once presented with the facts of what is happening to these children and other innocents in Palestine, people, including politicians, would be forced to take a stand against these human rights abuses.

A problem we seem to have is people who try to bring up the plight of the children in Palestine are being attacked. And of course, we need a campaign organized along the same lines as that used to apprehend Joseph Kony.

• JewishAnarchist
      March 19, 2012, 1:14 am

Here are some recommended links…

Kony screening provokes anger in Uganda (aljazeera.com)
      How Invisible Children’s Kony 2012 Will Hurt – And How You Can Help – Central Africa (huffingtonpost.com)
      KONY 2012, Invisible Children’s Pro-AFRICOM and Museveni Propaganda (blackstarnews.com)
      Kony 2012: growing outrage in Uganda over film (telegraph.co.uk)
      Joseph Kony is not in Uganda (and other complicated things) (foreignpolicy.com)
      Have Friends That Just Heard of Joseph Kony? (facebook.com)

All links via ICYMI (where I’m pretty sure that 2nd screen on the bottom of the cover graphic is mondoweiss.net).

• Bumblebye
        March 19, 2012, 9:15 am

Meanwhile, Jason Russell, founder of Invisible Children has meltdown and goes on a near naked rampage, sexual gesticulating. vandalising vehicles:
        link to guardian.co.uk
        which his wife blames on the publicity of the Kony 2012 film:
        link to guardian.co.uk

• Sherri Munnerlyn
        March 19, 2012, 9:28 am

JewishAnarchist,

I realize after reading a few articles myself that this campaign against Joseph Kony is controversial, but I think the point I made about how a campaign that focuses on stopping children being hurt and killed can be very effective is still valid. About Joseph Kony, I read his operations in Uganda have come to an end (but his operations against children in neighboring countries continue), and that children in Uganda are presently dealing with a mysterious disease called nodding disease.

About the Stop Joseph Kony campaign, I read:

“It’s not every day that a single name has an entire campus and world buzzing with questions, emotions, and calls for action. Before Spring Break, all social media outlets were flooded with links to the Invisible Children, Inc. 30-minute movie “Kony 2012.”

On Mar. 14, the video had over 78 million views worldwide. According to MSNBC, it is, to date, the most viral video ever made. The video highlights who Joseph Kony is, what Invisible Children, Inc. does, and how they want to make Kony “more famous than George Clooney.” The official day of the “Kony 2012” campaign will take place globally on Apr. 20″

link to videtteonline.com

• JewishAnarchist
        March 19, 2012, 12:45 pm

Hi Sherri,

The major problems with the IC video are: (1) it’s a misleading story that misinforms viewers; and (2) the solution IC (and the Pentagon) is pushing — US military intervention — will make things much worse.

That doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t help. There are organizations like War Child and The Voice Project that are doing amazing work in Uganda and surrounding countries that, unlike IC, are transparent with their finances and actually spend the money they raise on the causes they claim to support (IC raised more than $15,000,000 the week the video was released — only 35% of IC funds get used in Africa — the rest is used for IC salaries, overhead and marketing material).

• shayna amour
      March 19, 2012, 11:03 pm

Sherri Munnerlyn, Hi, I appreciate you mentioning Riad Hamad. He is not forgotten. Kony campaign is just a ploy to invade more of Africa.

If I may, I would like to post a tribute to Riad Hamad someone wrote. This tribute could also apply to little Ayub.

“They have murdered a dear friend who was like a brother to me, a good, kind and courageous man, who never rested from efforts to aid the poor, the children, the weak and the undefended. Cut him down in the prime of life because he would not bend to them. His name Esolh always sounded to me like the sun, who brings light and warmth and brightens this world. How can he be gone?”

from: link to groups.yahoo.com

Annie Robbins, Thank You for posting an excerpt from my blog on little Ayub. So many of these beautiful Palestinian children live in our hearts.

6. jimmy
    March 18, 2012, 10:13 pm

so the chosen r the chosen,,get used to it…

• shayna amour
      March 19, 2012, 11:11 pm

Jimmy, Oh boy. First, ask yourself what Jews were chosen to do. Jews were chosen to show the world God, but instead they got into idolatry and were sent into captivity. From what I can tell, there was a Babylonian captivity from about 587–538 BC and an Assyrian captivity around 740 BC according to wikipedia.

Sadly, nothing has changed.

• shayna amour
        March 20, 2012, 1:46 pm

Maybe I should clarify, “the nothing has changed comment”. The people who claim to be Jews are still off doing their own thing, not minding God (idolatry).

7. kalithea
    March 19, 2012, 12:09 am

Oh Goddddddddddd! What did Ayub Asaliya do to deserve being born into capitivity and oppression only to meet this end?????? WHAT DID HE DO, GOD???? Why should this child be denied what every Israeli child takes for granted? WHYYYYY?
    No more! Please end the Occupation and oppression with this generation; please God, NO MORE CHILDREN SACRIFICED TO THIS OCCUPATION!!! Free these people and return them to their land! Please stop foresaking them – PLEASE LET THEM BE BORN FREE.

8. asherpat
    March 19, 2012, 6:04 am

To all commenters on this post, especially Annie and Kalithea,

I wonder if you were so distraught when Hamas shot a guided anti-tank missile at a clearly marked school bus in Israel and killed a Jewish boy last year? If yes, please can you point to the posts or responses?

• justicewillprevail
      March 19, 2012, 10:14 am

Oh that makes it alright then what the IDF does on a daily basis. Partners in terror and crimes against children. Sick. Of course the IDF has access to infinitely more resources and ingenious ways of killing, so their score is far higher. And they suffer no punishment or reprisal – if anything they are supported by feeble excusers like you.

• asherpat
        March 19, 2012, 11:21 am

I hope that justice will prevail.

• kalithea
        March 19, 2012, 1:36 pm

Justice for WHOM exactly???

I wasn’t aware of that tragic incident from last year you so cleverly injected into this context, so I looked it up. Yes, I know you won’t believe this, but my mother took a fall last year around this time and if you notice from my comment history; I made no comments in the month of April 2011 as my time, mind and concern were otherwise occupied closer to home.

So, after looking it up now, I found out Israelis got their “justice” by killing 19 people and injuring 45. Included in the revenge slaughter of Palestinians were civilians and specifically, a mother and daughter and a 10-year old boy.

The U.S. State Department, Ban-ki at the U.N., the EU’s Catherine Ashton, the French government, the British government, the Israeli President and Israel MPs all shed tears for this boy and condemned his killing forcefully. NO, NOT on behalf of the Palestinian boy, THE ISRAELI ONE. Not one of them sheds a tear when a Palestinian child is murdered; NOT ONE!!! And hundreds upon hundreds of Palestinian children have been MURDERED on behalf of ZIONISM, i.e. lust for Palestinian land; the theft thereof; ethnic cleansing, Apartheid oppression and the murder of resistors to such crimes!

So excuse MEEEE if I want to mourn the death of THIS child right now whose MURDER was NOT CONDEMNED by Global leaders who would rather not mourn THIS child whose life is apparently worthless to them next to that SINGLE Israeli boy’s life taken last year, and one more thing, whose death everyone profusely addressed. I know it bothers the hell out of you that we care so much about Palestinian children, that we let the world know that they are actually HUMAN beings who existed and who matter too!!! And because I’m not the fool you played me for, because I know what you were REALLY up to, I have no problem telling you this: take your attempted self-righteous play and effort to diminish this moment and SHOVE IT!…YOU KNOW WHERE.

• justicewillprevail
        March 19, 2012, 5:34 pm

+1, kalithea

• Annie Robbins
      March 19, 2012, 3:09 pm

can you point to the posts or responses?

asherpat, the monthly archives are available on the top row of every mondoweiss page. you can either go to the monthly archives and check the posts around that date or you can click on the posters name and do a search. or just go to google and search under ‘mondoweiss bus’, or something like that.

9. seafoid
    March 19, 2012, 6:36 am

Israel’s dehumanisation of the people of Gaza continues. There’s no other way to make killing civilians easier.

10. seafoid
    March 19, 2012, 9:12 am

3 Jewish kids were on their way to school today

link to guardian.co.uk

11. kalithea
    March 19, 2012, 12:26 pm

Last lines in the article: ” “Whatever the motives, the perpetrator of this hateful crime can never justify, nor make anyone forget, that he is the murderer of children.””

-Ditto for ISRAEL.

Unfortunately, who will tighten security around Palestinian children; and which Israeli Parliamentarian will speak out against their terrorist government that has killed hundreds and hundreds of children?

12. Sherri Munnerlyn
    March 19, 2012, 2:01 pm

What if pictures were obtained of children killed by Israel in the Occupation and about 20 or more photos printed in color on a sheet and a caption written under the photos that said something like this: “These are pictures of Palestinian children Israel has killed in her unlawful Occupation of Palestine. Since the First Intifada began, Israel has killed over 1000 Palestinian children and their names and how each one died can be read about on the website of Israeli human rights organization, Btselem. link to btselem.org. Contact your Congressmen today and tell them to act to end Israel’s Occupation in Palestine. All children in Palestine are “Our Children” and we must all act to give them all life and freedom.”

What if the page printed above was copied in the hundreds, the thousands, and distributed all over my communty and surrounding communities?

What if others did the same thing, all over our country?

We cannot make anyone do anything or believe anything, but we can do all we can personally think of to do to get the Truth out to others around us about what is happening to children in Palestine.