UPDATE: Mustafa Barghouti stable after being struck in head at Qalandiya; Palestinian protester reports Barghouti attacked by fellow protesters

Update, 6:30 pm

Earlier today we reported:

Mustafa Barghouti was among 150 Palestinians injured at a Land Day demonstration at Qalandiya checkpoint in occupied Palestine this morning. A leader of the nonviolent movement and former candidate for president, Barghouti said that he was struck in the head by a teargas canister fired by Israeli forces. He spoke from a bed in Ramallah Hospital. He said he was not seriously injured but he is under observation for contusions to his head and back.

“Today is a great day because no one thought we would be able to mobilize thousand of people for nonviolent protest,” said Barghouti, a physician. “This is the peak of the Palestinian nonviolent movement, and it reflects Palestinian unity too.”

An Israeli government claim that Palestinians attacked Barghouti is the “most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Why would any Palestinian attack me? I’m a leader of the Palestinians.”

Since we first published this eyewitnesses at Qalandiya have reported that Barghouti was in fact attacked by fellow Palestinian protesters. Jalal Abukhater described what he saw to the New York Times‘s Robert Mackey over twitter, and sent us the following account:

As I arrived to Qalandia, first thing I saw was a large crowd of protesters with most carrying Red PFLP flags and orange PNI [Palestinian National Initiative] flags. As I walked down, I saw Mustafa Barghouti being evacuated into an ambulance at the Qalandia field hospital and Fateh guys were attacking PNI people. As Mustafa entered the ambulance, angry crowds continued to attack Mustafa and his group, a fight broke out between both sides. Mustafa was also beaten inside the ambulance. Weapon used in fighting was sticks which held flags. The ambulance which carried Mustafa had its rear glass broken and it rushed away. A while later I saw PNI organizers calling on all PNI people to leave the demo, clashes continued and hundreds remained present at the demo.

Reason behind all this, according to eye witnesses who were there before I was, is that PNI group acted separately and didn’t follow the general plan agreed upon by all groups, and they marched towards the checkpoint rushing during the prayer to beat all other groups and be first there. Also, non of them carried Palestinian flags..all carried PNI flags.

Only flags present were PFLP and PNI in large masses, Palestinian flags were held by individuals and Fateh flags weren’t present in mass.
Tear gas, Metal bullet projectiles, something called “exact impact”, Skunk truck, and the LARD screamer were used intensively by the army to crush the protesters, many were injured.

The New York Times story includes both Barghouti’s version and the counter claims:

At the Qalandiya checkpoint between the West Bank and Jerusalem, masked youths threw stones at Israeli troops and set tires alight. The troops responded with rubber bullets and tear gas. Mustafa Barghouti, a doctor and Palestinian politician, said one of the teargas canisters hit him, sending him to the hospital.

“I was hit with a teargas bomb on the side of my head and my back,” Dr. Barghouti said in a telephone interview from his hospital bed. “My scalp is injured, my right ear has problems, and they are checking to see if I have any spinal injury.”

The Israeli military spokesman’s office, in a set of Twitter messages and later over the telephone, said Dr. Barghouti had not been hit by an Israeli canister but had been attacked by other Palestinians. A few Palestinian witnesses offered a similar account.

A source with access to Barghouti says Barghouti stands by his version of events. We will continue to follow up on the story.

Original Post

From IDF spokesperson Avital Leibovich– a stupendous effort to misrepresent the truth:

I remind you: Barghouti was at the center of the J Street conference last weekend, soberly, eloquently urging American Jews to do all they can to publicize the nonviolent Palestinian movement.

Hugh Naylor responded to IDF:

I was there. He was attacked by plainclothes pple. His colleagues had no idea who they were. He was not calling for riot

Israelis smashed three ambulances and injured eight Palestinian aid workers, Barghouti said.

About Philip Weiss and Adam Horowitz

Posted in Activism | Tagged

{ 49 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Israeli primitive, ignorant tactics and stupid provocateurs unmasked again. What a bunch of lowlife wooden headed bigots and racists they show themselves to be. Terrified of a protest and a Palestinian voice being heard to counter their lies and propaganda – such a typical display of their own weakness and their own realisation of it, the result being the only Israeli response to anything is more violence and threats.

2. Bumblebye says:

I think you got the IDF spokesperson’s name wrong.
    It should be Leibobitch.

3. ritzl says:

I wish Dr. Barghoutti well, and all the courageous people, Palestinian and Israeli alike, that confront these tactics. The flipped-out, fact-free press statement by the IDF shows it’s having an effect, but with that level of divorce from reality I fear that much worse is to come from the IDF.

They shot 1976 Nobel Peace Prize recipient Mairead Maguire with a rubber/steel bullet a few years ago, in the back of the leg.

link to blog.beliefnet.com

Out of control.

When an indigenous people want to be free you either have to kill them all or acquiesce, because the desire will never go away and the resistance will only build. Israel’s probably not in the “kill them all” mode so one would think that they’d recognize the “acquiesce” part and get on with embracing the path to a just, durable, and peaceful resolution.

4. RE: “I was there. He was attacked by plainclothes pple. His colleagues had no idea who they were…” ~ Hugh Naylor

SEE: “The First Word: A day in Jerusalem”, By Yehudah Mirsky, Jerusalem Post, 05/07/09

(excerpt) Nobody who has lived in Jerusalem in recent years needs any educating about the sword from without. A week ago Thursday I discovered the terror within. It coils through Jerusalem’s streets, and us…
    …As I came out of the plaza, right across the street from city hall, I saw four men jump, stomp and kick the daylights out of several others (Lord knows why) and run off.
    I called for the police and waited for them to arrive as people ran out of the surrounding pubs to help the crushed victims, whose blood ran down the sidewalk.
    First ambulances came – some of the EMTs were haredim, and some were women. Then came the police, and I reported to them what I’d seen. After the police left, some young haredim came up to me, hungry for details: Did you see fists? Did you see a knife?
    I told them how earlier in the day their comrades had nearly done the same to me.
    “There was action at the demo? We missed it?”…
    …When I finally got home, at about 2:30 in the morning, my wife was, luckily for me, awake. I told her something that I had been thinking and scared to say for a long while: that the Jerusalem of my dreams, the Jerusalem where heaven and earth kiss, the Jerusalem of my father’s childhood, is finally dead. . .

ENTIRE COMMENTARY - http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1239710892040&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

• P.S. Between yesterday (when I first posted the above Mirsky excerpt in a comment here at Mondoweiss) and today, the entire 05/07/09 commentary by Yehudah Mirsky has been “disappeared” from the Jerusalem Post website. Israel “shares our values”, NOT!
      Nonetheless, I am truly flattered.

ANOTHER INTERESTING COMMENTARY BY MIRSKY: The Russian wave, By Yehudah Mirsky, Jerusalem Post, 05/07/09

(excerpts)…behind the Iron Curtain lay not millions of Natan Sharanskys and Ida Nudels yearning for Zion, but millions of men and women, rightly suspicious of all ideologies, whom decades of Soviet policy had alienated from Jewish tradition and history, and who simply sought better lives and opportunities…
      …Soviet Jewish dissidents and refuseniks had generally been either democratic political activists who made common cause with non-Jewish dissidents like Andrei Sakharov, or cultural activists focusing on the preservation and transmission of Jewish ideas; there were also some religiously inspired figures, like Yosef Mendelevich. None prepared the Israeli and Jewish public for the peculiar mix of attitudes that characterizes the later immigrants, and is personified in Israel’s current foreign minister, Avigdor Lieberman.M
      As Ze’ev Khanin documents in the Israel Affairs collection, early attempts at creating a centrist, wide-tent Russian political party (Yisrael Ba’aliya) foundered as the immigrants went either Left or, more often, Right. Today, three-quarters of Israel’s Russians are either with the Likud or with Lieberman’s Yisrael Beiteinu party. Their rightward orientation springs from a well-founded suspicion of state institutions, reinforced in many cases by their having been directed on arrival to peripheral development towns. Perhaps as a consequence, they have tended to look for strong leaders, which may explain how many ended up voting for Ehud Barak in 1999, while his military decorations still glistened.
      IN PERHAPS the most interesting article in the journal, Julia Lerner observes that Lieberman is a paradigmatically “post-Soviet” figure of the sort increasingly familiar in the FSU: ethno-national, authoritarian, committed less to ideology than to “the rational management of a national collective and its elements based on ethnic and cultural hierarchies, and accompanied by a taken-for-granted distinction between ‘civilized’ and ‘uncivilized.’”…

ENTIRE COMMENTARY – link to jpost.com

• RE: “Between yesterday (when I first posted the above Mirsky excerpt in a comment here at Mondoweiss) and today, the entire 05/07/09 commentary by Yehudah Mirsky has been ‘disappeared’ from the Jerusalem Post website.” ~ me, above

CORRECTION: After reviewing my browser history for the last few days, it does not appear that I checked the link that I had for the article when I posted the excerpt yesterday at Mondoweiss (as is my customary practice). Consequently, since I copied the link several years ago when I originally excerpted the article, it is not really surprising that the old link is no longer good. I finally managed to find the article using Google and it now has a different http. Self-flattery be gone!
        NEW LINK – link to jpost.com

5. Chu says:

calling for riot? come on. This is bad propaganda, even for Israeli standards. Anyone who has listened to at least five minutes of discussion from Barghouti, knows this is complete bullshit. But at least they will provide Pam Gellar with some red meat, to howl at the full moon this week.

6. adele says:

The NYT’s coverage by Ethan Bronner of the Land Day protests leaves alot to be desired, some quotes from article below:

The article mentions Mustafa Barghouti episode and states “Palestinian witnesses offered a similar account” as the Israeli claim that he was attacked by “other Palestinians”. Bronner doesn’t back it up with any direct testimony:

At the Qalandiya checkpoint between the West Bank and Jerusalem, masked youths
    hospital.

ear has problems, and they are checking to see if I have any spinal injury.”

And of course, the piece de resistance is the closing paragraph:
    At the Qalandiya rally in the West Bank, a set of posters and a map put up for the rally
    showed Palestine consisting of all of Israel as well as the West Bank and Gaza. A demon-
    strator, Yusuf Abdulrahman al-Turk, when asked if he favored a two-state solution,
    replied, “We want all of Palestine. The Jews have no right to even one inch.”

At least we can be thankful that Bronner gives some historical context as to why there are
    protests on Land Day!

link to nytimes.com

• the only thing we can be thankful for wrt bronner is that shortly he will not be the jerusalem bureau chief for the grey lady anymore.

• Woody Tanaka says:

This article is exactly the problem. Here you have the father of an I”D”F’er, a partisan who simply should have no business writing on this subject.

As anyone with 3 minutes of familiarity with this place knows, it is festooned with maps from Israeli governmental and Jewish non-governmental sources showing Israel consisting of the same land and more. Yet, is Bronner going to find some “Yakob ben-Judah” to discuss how the Palestinians are not entitled to one inch of Eretz Yisrael?? Doubt it.

7. Cliff says:

The IDF lies so effortlessly, especially Leibowitz. She’s the same sadist who was smugly spewing textbook hasbacrap during the Gaza massacre. In fact, she was indignant that people were trying to take her to task for the rising civilian deaths at the time.

Absolutely horrid wormy woman.

• seafoid says:

What would you expect from an IDF spokesperson? Integrity?

• Cliff.
      Apparently, Mr. Bargouti was beaten by fellow Palestinian protestors and not shot with a tear gas canister. Nor was he beaten by IDF provocateurs.

• Bumblebye says:

So, if Liarbitch sez the sky is green and grass is blue, you’ll believe her before you’ll believe a Palestinian who says the opposite?
        And there ARE fairies at the bottom of your garden if she says so.

• seafoid says:

“Apparently, Mr. Bargouti was beaten by fellow Palestinian protestors and not shot with a tear gas canister. Nor was he beaten by IDF provocateurs”

Yes. And the flotilla last year was full of murderers. And Barak made a generous offer at Camp David. And Israel wants peace.

8. giladg says:

The bluff continues. All 300 supporters of a non-violent struggle turned up today.
    I have a video clip from Lebanon of them packing the chairs away, and believe me, no way was there more than 300.
    Now what percentage of the Palestinian population supports non-violence?
    The bluff continues.

• seafoid says:

What percentage of Israeli Jews serve in the IDF? How many Israeli Jews have killed Arabs ?
      Israel has a chronic addiction to violence. Remember too that domestic abuse rates are far higher in Israel than in Continental Europe.
      And the biggest fear of Israel is Palestinian non violence.

• Dex says:

Good point Seafoid. If virtually every Israeli Jew serves in the military, then it is likely safe to assume that just about every Israeli Jew has either killed, injured, imprisoned, or humiliated a Palestinian.

How many Israelis believe in non-violence Giladg? I wonder how many generations of your family were born in historical Palestine?!

• Cliff says:

Palestinians have a long documented history of non-violence.

Giladg, why did the US State Dept. cite NGOs who said the IDF acted as DEATH SQUADS during the First Intifada?

Why did the IDF beat up Palestinian children during the First Intifada?

This was before suicide bombing. So your blanket generalization and other excuses are inapplicable unfortunately.

link to mondoweiss.net

9. mig says:

giladg :

Now what percentage of the Palestinian population supports non-violence?

Doesn’t matter. International law says that it’s according to the International law to resist alien occupation, even with armed strugle.

• giladg says:

Tell that to Barghouti who tries to tell the world how Gandhi like the Palestinians are. What a joke. And yes, we know about the double standards and the automatic majority the UN has supporting anything anti-Israel.

• Cliff says:

giladg,

The UN is not biased against Israel. Israel is simply a law-breaking State and the resolutions reflect that fact.

Barghouti advocates non-violence. Ghandi supported the Palestinians.

The only joke is the Israeli propaganda that justifies incinerating 300 Palestinian children with white phosphorus using the security pretext.

10. asherpat says:

Chant to the rhythm of “From Gaza to Bil’in, ta taa ta taa, ta ta taaa.”:

“From Haifa to Jerusalem/Israil’s always to blem”

11. giladg says:

Throwing stones and Molotov cocktails does not class as non-violent.

• Cliff says:

Firing a missile into a crowded street to kill a supposed terrorist, anticipating many civilian casualties but doing it anyway – is not ‘self defense’.

Showering white phosphorus on civilians is not ‘self-defense’.

Expanding Jewish only colonies on someone else’s land and territory for 45 years is not ‘self defense’.

De-developing the Gazan economy is not ‘self defense’.

Shooting protestors in the face with high-velocity gas canisters is not ‘self defense’.

etc etc etc

• giladg says:

When terrorists are planning attacks, taking them out is self-defense, especially when having them detained or arrested is absolutely impossible.
        Israel has developed specialized missiles especially designed to take out such terrorists in their cars and at the same time minimizing damage to those nearby. Now what other nation in the world has and would go to these lengths which are also financially very costly for the country. There must be some bad Palestinians out there to warrant such action. The IDF is the most moral army in the world and please don’t try and compare the IDF to armies that have seen little or no conflict. Then it is easy.

• assassination of someone not engaged in combat is a war crime.

When terrorists are planning attacks

yeah, israel uses this excuse to kill people all the time. it’s called preemption. problem is, like on nov 6th 2008, there is no proof hamas was planning to kidnap a member of the idf. israel can’t just keep claiming they are killing someone on their way to attack them. people are not that stupid. and don’t forget the family they murdered on the beach in gaza that broke the ceasefire, they claimed (after lying and saying they didn’t make the hit) they misfired and were aiming for some car on their way to attack them.

seriously, just stop with all your crap.

• giladg says:

So the killing of Osama Bin Laden was a war crime?

• ask someone who believes he was assassinated because i don’t.

12. CTuttle says:

Tis a shame that the advocates of violent resistance, the PFLP, along with the IDF/IOF, would seek to silence the nonviolence means advocated by Bargoutti’s PNI…! 8-(

• ritzl says:

Total shame. Don’t the Palestinian factions know how close they are to global acceptance and maybe action on the Palestinian cause? If Hamas could have resisted the urge to retaliate in 2008, Cast Lead (planned in advance by most accounts) would have met with overwhelming international condemnation. As it played out, it was sadly arguable.

I can understand the skepticism (and resulting anger/power politics) at the ground level, but Palestinians are So close to throwing Israeli violence into high, indisputable relief. So very, very close.

13. Michael W. says:

Thanks for the correction.

14. As it played out, it was sadly arguable.

not really.

• ritzl says:

Agree Annie. Cast Lead was an unwarranted and deliberate massacre, but on the international stage, given all the media power that Israel commands, the minor rationale was/continues to be made to be an existential argument. Wrongly so.

• given all the media power that Israel commands, the minor rationale was/continues to be made to be an existential argument.

existential argument? i do not even know what that means. what argument?

the minor rationale remains a minor rationale. the media will justify it, the US gov will justify it the goi will justify it but the people know.

this is why if you google ‘gaza massacre’ it has 15 million hits whereas if you google cast lead it only has 13 million. and the 13 million is only because of the msm and people like you. it was a massacre carried out against the gazans, the palestinian people, it wasn’t a war. israel’s ‘deligitimization’ took off after that massacre. that’s the reality. you can make claims about existential argument til the cows come home. there is only one way that massacre is going down in history, as a war crime and one of the nails in israel’s coffin. a very big nail in fact, it woke up the world. not a slumbering world because many many people woke up during israel’s war on lebanon 06. israel screwed any hope of its image for a whole generation of folks. get used to it. there’s no turning back.

‘palestine’ is the universal call for freedom and human rights.

• ritzl says:

Again, I agree, except for the “people like you” part.

One rocket is a rationalization for a Cast Lead-like event in US media. That is absolutely not a justification in real terms, but it is a saleable justification by Israel in the context of a broader audience that is receptive to that kind of bulloney. The existential argument is Israel’s meme, reality aside. The receptiveness is why it is arguable.

• peeesss says:

‘Palestine’ is the universal call for freedom and human rights.

That says it all. Right on , Annie

• ritzl says:

And to be clear, when YOU attack people like ME that agree with you in almost all aspects of this dilemma, you highlight why Barghouti was attacked, IF the update proves to be the accurate recounting of events.

• ritzel, sorry you read that as an attack. when i said ‘people like you’ i meant people like you who call the massacre by how it was officially named by israel. that can be a broad range of people (including anyone speaking in an official or formal capacity), it just doesn’t include people who have decided against calling it that because it feels more honest to call it what it was, a massacre against gazans. my point was there have been tons of msm articles about it and plenty of regular people who call it by it’s official name and still those referencing it otherwise exceed the former. referencing it the way most people do, as a massacre. that is the pt i was making.

wrt what is or is not ‘saleable’, israel will dress up and sell anything and their followers will repeat it, it doesn’t matter what it is. what i find confusing is when you suggest Hamas could have done nothing when israel broke the ceasefire and murdered a bunch of their soldiers, and it was their response that rendered the massacre ‘arguable’.

the only people arguing that massacre was justified was people who always support israel no matter what (not meaning you). no one else supported israel for that because there was nothing arguable about who was responsible. gazans shooting off rockets is entirely predicable, as i have argued before it is human nature when you are being attacked to react to that. if there was another way for them to attack that included targeting military infrastructure i am sure they would, but israel doesn’t set up bases within firing distance of gaza, they leave it for civilians to take the brunt and then use that to cry to the world.

it is all so predictable but i don’t think it is realistic for the weaker oppressed party to be just laying down and taking it while being attacked. which i am sure why israel keeps attacking. there will always be an element of society who reaches their own limit.

this is not a personal attack, it’s just my opinion and i tend to argue my point vigorously at times.

15. ritzl says:

Three things:

• Why would Barghouti lie? He, perhaps more than anyone else involved in seeking justice for Palestinians (media spokesman), knows how damaging, internationally, it would be if he was proved to be sticking to a story that wasn’t true. For himself and for Palestinians. It’s possible that he is at his absolute limit (as most Palestinians are) on a variety of fronts. If so, Israel wins. He knows this. Why?

• There’s more to this story/update. It so completely folds into the methodical media message that Palestinians can’t control themselves given all that’s at stake, that it has to be suspect. I want to know why any Palestinian would attack Barghouti, given his eminently positive media presence.

• Early assertion/acceptance that Barghouti is lying, per the update, is a big part of the overall problem of an imbalance in the Narrative. He may be, but again, there is more to this story. Early acceptance HAS to be examined, for better or worse.

16. Dex says:

Off topic:

Did anyone see that clown Peter Beinart on The Colbert Report last night? What a joke this guy is. He has so little knowledge of the conlict, it is embarrasing — but is representative of the level of discourse in this country. The way he portrayed Zionism as a noble cause was sickening. This guy — a white American — talks like he has some claim or rights to the land. What nerve!

No offense, but Jewish folk living outside of historical Palestine: you have NO rights to that land, and should have NO say in the matter.

17. seafoid says:

Interesting, even fascinating, Haaretz piece on Zionist paranoia

link to haaretz.com

“Professional (Jewish Israeli) politicians know the watch-words and dog-whistles, have an instinctive feel for the tone and inflection that enable them to channel all the terror of survival, persecution, and the fear of assimilation and loss of identity.”

Smearing Barghouti is just the machine at work. The Palestinians must be presented as evil and barbarian. They are the enemy . Just in case you didn’t get that here it is in marketing language

link to judaicawebstore.com
    “These beautiful and meaningful gifts were painstakingly sculpted from metal recovered from actual Kassam rockets fired into Israel by our enemies”

How many Israeli Jews have the balls to stand up and say ‘I will not be afraid. The Palestinians are not my enemy” ?

18. kma says:

the IDF is more hasbara than an army. American forces who have been assigned to training IDF soldiers have said that they are pathetic and no one believes they would take on one of the their neighbors without hiding behind the US on the front lines.

so, it is to be expected that they will show the entire extent of their physical “valor” fighting with unarmed Palestinian protesters (and bombing a besieged Gaza and “defending” settlers in Hebron) while they probably pride themselves more on their propaganda techniques. I’m sure they did LOTS of prep work for Land Day and have much more in store for upcoming protests, anything related to BDS, etc.

19. RE: “The info I have regarding Mousteffa Bargoutti injured,is that he was hurt by a Pales,as he was trying to convince youth in #Kalandya to riot” ~ IDF spokesperson Avital Leibovich

PARAPHRASING GROUCHO*: IDF “facts” are to facts what military “music” is to music!

* “Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.” ~ Groucho Marx (also attributed to Mark Twain, and perhaps first used by Georges Clemenceau in referring to the Dreyfus case)
    SEE – link to talkleft.com

20. asherpat says:

So, what do we have here? Al-Dura II? Khulood Badawi III? Actually, “Al-Dura 10,000″.

Like so many libels against Israel, first, Israel is slurred first, then mainstream media buries the retraction in small print on page 19.

But this time, the shame is great, not only Israel is not to blame, the slur was to hide troubles in the “peaceful resistance” paradise. If I were Mondoweiss, I wud be strong enough not to try and hide the shame under heeps of convoluted explanations and quotes. But I am not Mondoweiss.

• chrisrushlau says:

You have exchanged your heritage for a fleshpot.
      kma’s comment about the IDF being a bunch of wimps matches exactly what Kenneth O’Keefe said after the attack on the Turkish aid flotilla: the IDF soldiers he disarmed wilted like ferns (my term).
      link to ynetnews.com
      kma supplies the reason for the weakness of the IDF, one recognizable to military historians: occupation duty rots out an army (never mind enforcement of racism). This is no surprise to a supporter of Israel. You don’t go to Disneyland and expect Mickey Mouse to leave foot-long droppings in his path. You know it is an illusion. You know there is a real latrine somewhere for the person inside the Mickey suit. You know someone must pay the theatrical expenses. In the case of Israel, you know the actors who perform the part of slaves (“terrorists”) must be coerced. Over in the US, you know the media must be similarly coerced and the people in general intimidated into looking away. So how do you expect this all to end? In a big glorious holocaust. So, one wonders, why do you bother? This is your Judaism? Why not think of God as a God of justice? That would even include exemption for ignorant enthusiasm which did not traceably lead to hurt or death. But remember Aesop’s fable about the captured bugler. Do you think that day is impossibly far away, or that there are too many buglers to deal with? Another way of saying that God is just is to say that people are not stupid. You can even use that as an argument for the existence of God.