Pinkwashing in the ‘NY Jewish Week’

You’d think the title, Confessions of a Gay Zionist, would include some racy bits, right? Well I didn’t find any. There was some talk about his struggle with his sexuality early on, but by a few paragraphs later, Jayson Littman has reconciled his faith and sexuality, no problema. Maybe the real confession is the word, Zionist?

Fast forward 10 years: I am now an out gay man. Many times people ask me, “Do you think it’s nature or nurture?” I always respond by telling them it really doesn’t matter, because either Hashem “natured” me to be gay or put me in the environment that nurtured me to be gay.

I decide to return to Israel, and as soon as I board that El Al plane, I already have a feeling of hope and a closer connection to God. I imagine Israel in 1948 and think about how it is a country built on hope that still offers hope to many Jewish people around the world. I’m not exactly sure what Zionism means today, but when I’m in Israel, I feel the unconditional love of a God to His Jewish people, and my connection to that people.

Posted in American Jewish Community, Israel Lobby, Media, US Politics

{ 8 comments... read them below or add one }

1. seafoid says:

“I feel the unconditional* love of a God to His Jewish people”

*Offer not available in all areas . Forget it, you ethiopian Jews
    *subject to ongoing US political support

And on another note :

There is great scope for anti Zionist placard work – look at these
    wonderful gay creations

link to guardian.co.uk

2. MHughes976 says:

‘A God’ – this is polytheism.

3. kungfujew says:

I don’t see how every piece in the Jewish media that features a gay person is pinkwashing. Sometimes, gay Zionists talking about their identity is just gay Zionists talking about their identity.

4. hophmi says:

So now, any story that contains the words gay and Zionist is pinkwashing? I don’t see anything there about Israel’s attitude toward gay people.

5. marc b. says:

how quickly you glossed from ‘jewish media’ to ‘gay zionists talking about their identity’. does every ‘gay zionist talking about his/her identity’ publish a synopsis of that conversation in the local press? you do see the inherent differences between ‘talking’ and a published article, right? and forgive my cynicism, but i seem to have read this story before, what with the familiar trajectory of casual jew to self-discovery in the levant to heart-on-his-sleeve zionist. (“my israeli god made me love jewish men!” oy.) its the uni-dimensional plotting of this ‘confession’ that raises eyebrows more than the pairing of ‘gay’ and ‘zionist’ in the title.

6. RE: “I imagine Israel in 1948 and think about how it is a country built on hope…” ~ Littman

EXCERPTS FROM “The Origin of the Palestine-Israel Conflict”, Published by Jews for Justice in the Middle East:

(excerpts). . . “In 1938 a thirty-one nation conference was held in Evian, France, on resettlement
    of the victims of Nazism. The World Zionist Organization refused to participate, fearing that resettlement of Jews in other states would reduce the number available for Palestine.”
    ~ John Quigley, ‘Palestine and Israel: A Challenge to Justice’
    “It was summed up in the meeting [of the Jewish Agency’s Executive on June 26, 1938] that the Zionist thing to do ‘is belittle the [Evian] Conference as far as possible and to cause it to decide nothing… ~ Israeli author Boas Evron, ‘Jewish State or Israeli Nation?’
    “[Ben-Gurion stated] ‘If I knew that it was possible to save all the children of Germany by transporting them to England, but only half of them by transporting them to Palestine, I would choose the second — because we face not only the reckoning of those children, but the historical reckoning of the Jewish people.’ In the wake of the Kristallnacht pogroms, Ben-Gurion commented that ‘the human conscience’ might bring various countries to open their doors to Jewish refugees from Germany. He saw this as a threat and warned: ‘Zionism is in danger.’” ~ Israeli historian, Tom Segev, ‘The Seventh Million’
    Roosevelt’s advisor writes on why Jewish refugees were not offered sanctuary in the U.S. after WWII
    …“[Roosevelt] proposed a world budget for the easy migration of the 500,000 beaten people of Europe. Each nation should open its doors for some thousands of refugees…So he suggested that during my trips for him to England during the war I sound out in a general, unofficial manner the leaders of British public opinion, in and out of the government…The simple answer: Great Britain will match the United States, man for man, in admissions from Europe…It seemed all settled. With the rest of the world probably ready to give haven to 200,000, there was a sound reason for the President to press Congress to take in at least 150,000 immigrants after the war…
    “It would free us from the hypocrisy of closing our own doors while making sanctimonious demands on the Arabs…But it did not work out…The failure of the leading Jewish organizations to support with zeal this immigration programme may have caused the President not to push forward with it at that time…
    “I talked to many people active in Jewish organizations. I suggested the plan…I was amazed and even felt insulted when active Jewish leaders decried, sneered, and then attacked me as if I were a traitor
    …I think I know the reason for much of the opposition. There is a deep, genuine, often fanatical emotional vested interest in putting over the Palestinian movement [Zionism]. Men like Ben Hecht are little concerned about human blood if it is not their own.” ~ Jewish attorney and friend of President Roosevelt, Morris Ernst, ‘So Far, So Good’

ENTIRE “ORIGIN” BOOKLET – link to archive.org

7. yourstruly says:

how to imagine what israel was like in 1948d?

use of one’s imagination not necessary. just check out on mw what it’s like today to be a palestinian in gaza or in any of the wb villages now under siege.