Yet it is Iran’s non-existent nukes that continue to obsess the west. Diplomats have spent so long trying to stop Iran that I get the impression they no longer even ask themselves why it is such a high priority. Press them, and you will get explanations about the dangers of a Middle Eastern arms race and Iran’s regional ambitions.
Interestingly, few seem to take seriously the idea that Israel often evokes – that Iran might actually commit nuclear genocide.
Western concerns are valid. But, in themselves, they do not seem compelling enough to explain the desperate focus on Iran. The main reason the Iranian dossier is so urgent seems to be the fear that Israel will soon attack Iran’s nuclear facilities, provoking a wider war. American and European diplomats are reluctant to put it quite that directly, since this carries the uncomfortable implication that western policy is driven by Israel. But when people say “time is running out” over Iran, it is the prospect of an Israeli attack they are usually thinking about.
- Biden says Jewish ‘influence’ behind American cultural politics is ‘immense… … 0
- The etymology of anti-Semitism 0
- Exile and the Prophetic: My name is the Church of … 0
- Israel blocks UNESCO fact-finding mission to investigate assaults on holy … 0
- Video: Paterson, NJ raises the Palestinian flag over city hall … 10
- Princeton students ‘come out’ for Palestine to overcome shame attached … 4
- Jim from Newport Township, Illinois asks the wrong question 8
- There’s been a sea change in US opinion on the … 23
- Israeli airport sorts passengers with ‘Jewish stickers’ and ‘Arab stickers’ 796
- ‘Newseum’ folds under pressure, will not include Gaza cameramen in … 314
- Two friends meet for 5 minutes in Jerusalem 230
- In photos: Gaza marches and rallies mark 65 years of … 149
- Washington Post’s racism map omits Israel 111
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 103
- Washington state bus-ad campaign dares to state: ‘Equal rights for … 100
- Guatemalan genocide got assist from US, Christian Right, and Israel 75
- International Criminal Court opens preliminary investigation into attack on Mavi … 96
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 87
- Abulhawa declines to ‘balance out’ several Israelis in ‘Al Jazeera’ … 86
- Washington Post’s racism map omits Israel 73
- Kennedy’s insistence on right of return prompted Ben-Gurion to rewrite … 72
- Israeli airport sorts passengers with ‘Jewish stickers’ and ‘Arab stickers’ 69
- Uncompromising hope inspired by Ghassan Kanafani 63
- ‘Newseum’ folds under pressure, will not include Gaza cameramen in … 62
- RT @KatieMirandaArt: The etymology of Anti-Semitism: my cartoon published in @Mondoweiss: http://t.co/A1ybqMPMvx, 7 mins ago
- Tuesday night Joe Biden struck a high-water mark in philosemitism http://t.co/SyvxQwliKt, 9 mins ago
- Biden says Jewish ‘influence’ behind American cultural politics is ‘immense… immense’ http://t.co/SyvxQwliKt, 9 mins ago
- The etymology of anti-Semitism http://t.co/qPjChvnK4e, 18 mins ago
- Exile and the Prophetic: My name is the Church of Scotland and I am a recovering….. http://t.co/lVhVWgPgTT, 26 mins ago
click link to see last 100 comments
- Kennedy’s insistence on right of return prompted Ben-Gurion to rewrite history: They fled ‘of their own free will’ (72)
- Both Massad, and ‘Open Zion’, ignore the experience of Middle Eastern Jews (30)
- There’s been a sea change in US opinion on the conflict (23)
- David Samel: Avi, without viewing the piece again, I just don’t remember that from four years ago. I agree...
- Press Release: Isabel Kershner chosen to reveal future Israeli exonerations (7)
- Hostage: Will this, if it occur in real life, actually keep the ICC off Israel’s back? This speculative report...
- Video: Paterson, NJ raises the Palestinian flag over city hall for Palestinian-American Day (10)
- Ramzi Jaber: Simply beautiful!!! Way to go Paterson!!!!!! Hopefully soon more to come.
- Lapid says ‘Israelis want peace and security and Palestinians want peace and justice’ (19)
- Ramzi Jaber: Also “misslim” is sometimes used in colloquial Arabic in Palestine.
- Abulhawa declines to ‘balance out’ several Israelis in ‘Al Jazeera’ forum on Nakba (86)
- Donald: German Lefty–I agree with many of your points, but given how crappy the show apparently was from both...
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack (87)
- Ramzi Jaber: James and Woody, I’m afraid you’re right.
Our WritersMore Writers