Evelyn Garcia welcomes a debate on US Middle East policy — not smears and misrepresentation and hate mail

Evelyn Guy and grandchildren 0
Evelyn Garcia for Florida House District 88

We’ve done several posts about Evelyn Garcia, the Florida politician who had the guts to speak up for Palestinian rights but then had to resign from the Democratic National Committee when her emails were made public. Garcia is now running for statewide office. She sent along the following statement about her situation last night.

As was accurately reported in the Palm Beach Post on July 3rd, 2012, within a few hours of the publication of excerpts from my private, year old, email correspondence with Lauren Londner and Dan Liftman by Bizpac Review, the elected Party leadership accepted my resignation from the Democratic National Committee post to which I was elected in 2008. I resigned to distance the controversy from my candidacy for Florida’s State House District 88 seat as well as from the elected Democratic Party leadership and my friends and colleagues who had nothing to do with my emails. I will continue working hard to win the race for State House Dist 88 on 8/14/12.

In the meanwhile, some questions have been raised by my supporters in addition to those that come to mind. Why did Lauren Londner and/or Dan Liftman wait one year to release these private emails to members of an unelected Palm Beach County political action group? And, were whoever performed the deed directed or authorized to release private emails to the media–Bizpac Review? Was it Diana Demarest, former Palm Beach County Democratic Party Secretary or another member or surrogate of “the PAC”? What was their intended purpose? Was it to spur a debate about U.S. policy in the Middle East? Did they not anticipate the barrage of hate mail and threats I’ve been receiving from places as far away from Palm Beach County as Oklahoma? And, who are “they” anyway and what do “they” stand for? Did this unelected so-called leadership demonstrative sound leadership in contributing to tactics which appear to be pathetic attempts to silence or crush an opposing point of view? Don’t our loyalty and patriotism belong first to our country–the United States of America? Or, did they really intend a conversation among the wider electorate of the extent to which U.S. taxpayers are subsidizing an illegal occupation by Israel? And, who says it’s an occupation and illegal? Well, let me count the ways: numerous United Nations resolutions, J Street, Jewish Voice for Peace, the Presbyterian Church, CodePink, religious and political leaders and public opinion worldwide. And what I did was to express my views in private to a friend as it is my right to do under constitutionally protected free speech. Likewise, the hate-mail authors also have their right to free speech and I respect their courage in expressing their point of view. But I will not tolerate further threats to me and my family.

I hold this unelected political action leadership fully responsible for unleashing the barrage of hateful and dangerous threats against me from what I hope is a very small group of extremists. Who do they think they are fooling by accusing me of anti-Semitism? I believe they and the entire world know that criticism of U.S. foreign policy vis a vis Israel is NOT anti-Semitic and saying so doesn’t make it so. It just means that some extremists will intimidate and persecute anyone who doesn’t follow the company line. While they tried to punish me for my views, I think in so doing they have presented an opportunity for discussion on the issue in question, namely: how much longer will U.S. taxpayers subsidize the illegal, immoral occupation of Palestinian territories? How about conducting a discussion on that topic instead of persecuting one messenger? Don’t Palestinians deserve their homeland too? After conducting guerrilla warfare and with United Nations votes of nations worldwide, including The Republic of Haiti, Israelis established their homeland some 60 years ago.

The Jewish State of Israel is a legitimate, sovereign nation that I have long admired for its self-determination and generosity to others, including the recent victims of the Haiti earthquake. Haitians and Israelis have have excellent foreign relations ever since Haiti voted for Israeli statehood some 60 years ago. Personally, I’ve fought anti-Semitism starting in my high school sorority many decades ago and have never stopped championing freedom, human rights, civil rights, and the right to self-determination. I intend, in whatever role or position I may hold in the future, to remain true to these principles.

Happy Independence Day to all.

Sincerely, Evelyn Garcia

About Evelyn T. Garcia

Posted in Israel/Palestine | Tagged

{ 97 comments... read them below or add one }

1. thank you Evelyn.

i think it is unlikely there will be any distancing between this issue and your candidacy and therefore my opinion is you should not have resigned. but, that isn’t as important as the conversation and the opportunity to discuss ‘the controversy’ in your district.

while it may appear that israel/palestine isn’t that important to your district compared with other local issues that could be said about seats all across the country. furthermore, the democratic party should represent democrats not just democrats who support apartheid. there are many lifelong democrats who do not support the settlements, like the president who started out very firm on this issue and has since turned silent. it is the upcoming election forcing that silence. so we have to be the voice, not party officials who pretend to speak for every democrat.

yes! there’s a real opportunity here to debate this issue in your district and although you may get hate mail..you may also find supporters from unlikely places.

link to evelyngarciacampaign.com

• German Lefty says:

@ Annie:

I totally agree.

there’s a real opportunity here to debate this issue in your district
      Yes. This situation reminds me a little of the Günter Grass poem. At first, the newspapers didn’t dare to support him and his views. Then, when readers complained and the newspapers realised that the general public actually agrees with Grass, the newspapers got more “courageous” and published letters from readers as well as own articles in defence of Grass. It was somewhat of a liberation. However, the politicians still haven’t learnt anything.

@ Ms Garcia:
      the barrage of hateful and dangerous threats against me
      This is so terrible. I mean, there’s nothing wrong with writing someone to tell him that you disagree with him. As you said, that’s freedom of speech. However, when there are actual threats, then this goes way too far and is a matter for the police.

Yeah, sadly this generosity is very selective.
      In a 2010 poll, 50 per cent of Jewish Israeli teenagers between 15-18 years old believed that Palestinian citizens of Israel should not have the same rights as their Jewish counterparts. Some 56 per cent of those polled said Palestinians should be prevented from running for the Knesset, and 50 per cent of those who identified themselves as religious said they approved of the slogan ‘Death to Arabs’.
      link to aljazeera.com
      The “Jewish State” doesn’t like African refugees either.
      link to mondoweiss.net

2. Dan Crowther says:

Hey, Nice Work guys, on getting Ms. Garcia on MW. Feel empowered, Evelyn – you will have a strong wind of support behind you if you choose to take on this issue, and these clowns attacking you.

3. Evelyn – threats against you and your family are not protected free speech. You should report every single threat to the FBI.

4. FreddyV says:

Go Evelyn!

While this may seem like a bad time at the moment, I have a feeling that the timing of this could be very much the making of you and the breaking of the Zionist’s stranglehold of debate over the Israel / Palestine conflict.

Above all, I applaud you standing behind your convictions and for what’s right.

If only all politicians were this conscientious.

• Mooser says:

“I have a feeling that the timing of this could be very much the making of you and the breaking of the Zionist’s stranglehold of debate over the Israel / Palestine conflict.”

MS. Garcia says:
      “The Jewish State of Israel is a legitimate, sovereign nation that I have long admired for its self-determination and generosity to others”

No, I don’t think Ms. Garcia will be much help in “breaking of the Zionist’s stranglehold of debate over the Israel / Palestine conflict.”

5. Les says:

The UN is taking a new look at the settlements.
    By Agence France-Presse
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 9:31 EDT

The UN Human Rights Council has set up a panel to probe Jewish settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories, a move that further irked Israel which said it will bar its access to the sites of inquiry.

Israel severed contacts with the council in March after the 47-member body announced it would investigate the settlements, which are considered illegal under international law, and is blaming the UNHRC for “singling out” Israel.

The council is pressing ahead with the mission, with the appointment on Friday of three independent experts.

“Allow me to reiterate the council’s request to Israel … not to obstruct the process of investigation and to cooperate fully with the mission,” said UNHRC president Laura Dupuy Lasserre.

The all-female panel is tasked with carrying out a fact-finding mission “to investigate the implications of the settlements on the civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of the Palestinian people in the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem,” said Lassere.

The panel is chaired by Christine Chanet of France and includes Unity Dow of Botswana and Asma Jahangir from Pakistan.

“Each has a long track record of impartial, independent, and objective human rights work of the highest calibre,” Lasserre said.

“In times when (Syrian) president (Bashar al-)Assad’s regime massacres thousands of its own people, the UNHRC only dedicates it symbolic time … while turning its resources to obsessively focus on Israel,” the foreign ministry said.

The statement pledged that the mission “will find no cooperation in Israel, and its members will not be allowed to enter Israel and the (Palestinian) territories.”

According to the special UN rapporteur for human rights in the occupied territories, Richard Falk, at least 3,500 buildings were under construction in the West Bank in 2011, not including Israeli settlements in annexed east Jerusalem.

Falk said on Monday that such building on Palestinian land “more or less closes the book on the reality and feasibility” of a two-state solution to the conflict.

Peace talks between the Israelis and Palestinians have been on hold since September 2010, with the Palestinians refusing to resume the discussions without a moratorium on settlement building.

link to rawstory.com

• FreddyV says:

‘Israel’s foreign ministry reacted with anger to the mission’s establishment, calling it “another blatant expression of the singling out of Israel in the UNHRC and of the uncandid approach that characterizes the Council’s dealing with Israel.”

The ministry said on Friday that the “disproportionate focus” the UNHRC puts on Israel, while ignoring human rights violations elsewhere, “leads to the contempt and degradation of the important cause of universal human rights.”’

Is it really this purile?

It’s a bit like a kid who’s been busted saying that it can’t bust him without rounding up his accomplices.

Israel: You have been busted. Take it and learn from it.

I know you’re a new nation on the world stage (religious bullshit aside), but if you’re going to behave like a kid, expect the world to treat you like one.

Oh, and another thing:

Your stepdaddy, the US is listening to the whispers. It doesn’t like being labelled an asshole for sticking up for you.

Grow up before daddy realizes what a little shit you are.

6. American says:

Get a attorney and sue hell of them….the individuals that smeared you and the Ft.L DNC. You have the grounds in the material damage—-that you had to resign your position because of the smear of anti semitism–that they made it impossible for you to continue in that position by their slander.
    Until people start turning the tables on these cretins they will keep doing their sleezy crap.

7. Abu Malia says:

I just sent a fiery email to the Congressional Black Caucus urging them to speak out in support of Evelyn.

Now where do I find Al Sharpton?

8. The funny (well not funny) part about all this is that in Israel, they are able publish much more scathing commentary in their press than we are. Take this example from the Times of Israel:

link to blogs.timesofisrael.com

We’re a driven group, and not just in regards to the art world. We have, for example, AIPAC, which was essentially constructed just to drive agenda in Washington DC. And it succeeds admirably. And we brag about it. Again, it’s just what we do.

But the funny part is when any anti-Semite or anti-Israel person starts to spout stuff like, “The Jews control the media!” and “The Jews control Washington!”

Suddenly we’re up in arms. We create huge campaigns to take these people down. We do what we can to put them out of work. We publish articles. We’ve created entire organizations that exist just to tell everyone that the Jews don’t control nothin’. No, we don’t control the media, we don’t have any more sway in DC than anyone else. No, no, no, we swear: We’re just like everybody else!

Does anyone else (who’s not a bigot) see the irony of this?

• Daniel Rich says:

@ CloakAndDagger,

Nevertheless, it’s always ‘we’ versus ‘them.’

• Mooser says:

“My question would be: if we’re all equal, what are we supposed to do with bio-diversity?”

Dan, you must be joking! Please don’t tell me you can’t see the difference between the legal and hamunitarian concept of equality, and a uniformity of medocrity.
        And BTW, conflating the two is an old really old, tired trick of right-wingers, or do I have you mixed up with somebody else?

• Daniel Rich says:

@ Mooser,

I try to stay in the middle of the circle, for Lao Tzu predicted that that would be the place where all would be well. Any bird with one wing is doomed to fail.

9. piotr says:

This is unbelievable. A person runs for an office higher that dog catcher and exhibit some common sense? And courage?

She has to get some donations. Hopefully, running for State Representative in a minority community is not that expensive, and a heavy handed attack by the rich Jews and white Cuban-Americans can backfire.

If I understand correctly, in Latin America there is a surprising alignment between Zionism, imperialism and support of right wingers, and some while most of Cuban-Americans are aligned with the first group, majority of other people with Latin background, including Haitians, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans have other tendencies. A number of Jewish neocons started their carriers under Reagan, when the main issue was support of death squads and other terrorists who were fighting for freedom.

• FreddyV says:

@Piotr:

I have a bit of a theory on this. Christian Zionism really started gaining ground in the US due to the publication of the Scofield Reference Bible. For Zionism, the ‘money’ verse is very early on in Genesis 12:3

‘And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.’

The key word here is ‘thee’, or as is more commonly used in both UK and US English ‘you (singular)’ In Hebrew, the word ‘you’ has a number of different meanings, as it does in Spanish and Olde English.

Scofield took this verse and wrote footnotes over a number of pages claiming that Christians must support Israel for fear of Divine curse. Most Christians don’t see the problem in taking the blessing given to Abraham and applying it to an entire nation some 4,000 years later and our dropping of ‘thee’ and ‘thou’ and replacing it with the catch all ‘you’ has enabled this.

My theory is that because the Spanish language does carry this distinction of singular and plural, it’s difficult for Scofield’s exegesis to gain any traction.

Just a theory. I’d like to hear some thoughts of Spanish speaking Christians on this if there are any here.

• W.Jones says:

“Most Christians don’t see the problem in taking the blessing given to Abraham and applying it to an entire nation some 4,000 years later and our dropping of ‘thee’ and ‘thou’ and replacing it with the catch all ‘you’ has enabled this.”
        By the way, St Paul writes that Christians are also adopted descendents of Abraham. Presumably the same rule would apply to them.

• FreddyV says:

@W.Jones:

Yes, absolutely. Paul calls Christians ‘the adoption’, but as far the blessings of Genesis 12:3 is concerned, it is to one man, Abraham.

Paul also talks about all the families of the Earth being blessed and how this is fleshed out through Christ.

“I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore… and through your seed all nations on earth will be blessed…” (Genesis 22:17-18)

Galatians 3:16: Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

This particular verse stresses the singular nature of those blessings and promises made to Abraham.

As far any people being ‘God’s Chosen’, the Old Testament and the New makes it abundantly clear that lineage, nationality or religion is irrelevant. The defining factor is faithfulness. We see this time and time again with the words of warning from the OT prophets and from the Diasporas.

• W.Jones says:

Fred,

I think you’re making a good point about the “those who bless you will be blessed” being directed to Abraham in particular. The way you describe it is literally how it’s stated in this verse alone.

But I am not sure this really applies to Abraham only. For example, when it says Abraham’s descendants will be blessed through him, it seems to me it could suggest that this italicized blessing goes to the descendants too.

In any case, St Paul made a good point when he said the blessings would go to all nations, suggesting this really wasn’t a blessing given to physical descendants only, but to everyone.

And a contradiction within the CZ ideology especially is that the New Testament has St Paul saying that this blessing goes to Christians, not just Abraham’s physical descendants as the CZs portray it.

• FreddyV says:

@W.Jones:

The blessing discussed is Christ and the blessings are to those who are faithful. According to Christianity, those who embrace Christ are the faithful. This is the whole reason Christ’s lineage is so thoroughly detailed in the beginning of Matthew. Christ had to come from the seed (singular) of Abraham as per the Torah.

People really don’t realise the success of the early Church and how many Jewish converts there were in the 1st Century. The book of Acts talks about huge numbers being converted. The gentile element was comparatively small and the writings of the Apostles confirm this. Effectively, Christianity is Judaism under a New Covenant.

What CZ’s prefer to do is take the ethnic / national element of Israel which ceased to exist 2,000 years ago and apply it to the modern state, completely ignoring the ‘overhaul’ of the faith after AD 70 with Talmudic writings.

Purely from a Christian perspective, Talmudic Judaism, the same as Islam has steered off the path of ‘faith’ and Torah Judaism rejected the Messiah (I will add here, that from a Jewish perspective, both Christianity and Islam are cults off shooting from Judaism. I respect that view and those of many faiths here and don’t mean to start any religious debate or argument here, I’m just trying to explain from a Christian perspective).

So from a CZ perspective, they’re applying blessings and such stuff to a group of people who according to their own faith and scriptures, aren’t the recipients.

Many CZ’s would suggest my argument is what has been termed ‘replacement theology’, where Christians are the new recipients of God’s good grace and the Jewish people are those wretched people who rejected Christ and have paid through history for it. That isn’t the case. Christianity was successful throughout Judaism and continued to be successful throughout the world, as promised to Abraham. If people want to argue math or with their Bibles, that’s fine, but it stands to reason that if a religion is started within a small demographic and spreads throughout the world, then the original converts will eventually become a minority and will be absorbed into the new faith, and as Paul’s writings confirm, there becomes no distinction between Jew and gentile.

Going back to the ‘blessing and cursing’ thing, if this were anything other than superstition, would England have thrived in the way it did after persecuting Jews, or Spain, or Germany for that matter?

Scofield was bought and paid for by Zionists and wrote footnotes in the Bible to drive a long debunked exegesis which forced Christians to support the notion of a state of Israel for fear of Divine curse. I bought into this whole thing for a long time before I started having questions. Once I started looking into the whole CZ thing, I realised quite how flawed it all is, but more importantly, I started looking into it’s effect. I don’t have any problems with any religion and I completely respect people’s different viewpoints and in some cases I completely agree with philosophies and I enjoy finding the good in all faiths. I do particularly have an axe to grind with CZ’s because of the outworking of the faith. I know the general consensus here is that US support for Israel is firmly rooted by AIPAC’s influence on Congress, but I’m also of the firm belief that at ground level, the evangelical Church has been led to belief in a CZ agenda and Congress is being squeezed both financially and at the ballot box to tow the pro Israel line.

Sorry for the long diatribe. I hope it made some sense.

Regards

Fred.

• Mooser says:

“I don’t have any problems with any religion and I completely respect people’s different viewpoints”

Man, if you think religion is the same as a different viewpoint, you are in for a world of hurt. Oh, I guess you could call the idea that it’s alright to kill people because some guy told you God told him to tell you that a “different viewpoint” if you want, but it’s not the same as preferring chocolate to vanilla. And you can go ahead and respect it if you want, but me, I’ll just stick to stark naked fear of “viewpoints” like that.

• FreddyV says:

Hey Mooser,

I don’t have problems with religion and I respect the views of others. Only their views. Not the actions they take in support of their views.

This is why I have an big gripe with CZ’s. OK, if they want to believe that Israelis are God’s Chosen people, then fine, but it’s the outworking of their belief in supporting Israel when it’s wrong and Palestinian oppression in order to achieve the aims of how they interpret their theology and how they behave is directly informed by think their theology is going to play out . That’s the real sickener.

I can’t remember who, but someone here posted about religious belief and cognitive dissonance. You’re right. Many normal rational people can’t actually apply reason when it conflicts with their religious beliefs. I see this time and time again with CZ’s. One could even argue that this plays a big part in the Hasbara we see. We watch the likes of Dersh being torn apart by Finklestein and the bizarre thing is that Dersh still stands by what he’s said and I don’t think he’s even aware that he’s plainly full of shit.

You could almost say that religion can turn people into compulsive liars and turn a blind eye to the evil of others when it suits their beliefs.

• piotr says:

I wanted to reply, I noticed that FreddyV below took care of it. Those of us who are agnostic etc. do not care, but nevertheless seeking the Divine blessing through good services to Jews is a major heresy in less eccentric Christian denominations. And pretty much contradicts Galatians.

My private theory about Christian Zionism is that some Christian do not feel fulfilled without some Holy War, or more precisely, without some supremacism, and nowadays it is next to impossible to bash Colored savages, or priest ridden Irish, or Jews, and even with homosexuals it is not easy. Israel allows to achieve supremacy over Muslim heathens vicariously and let us join in the last possible Holy War. With that motivation, we can scour Old and New Testaments for verses, start breeding cows to get an unblemished heifer and so on.

Military industrial complex also needs a war, and if this is not for Freedom against Commies, anti-Jihad Jihad will do. (As long as AIPAC does not kwetch about arms sales to Gulf Arabs, that makes grand poobahs of MIC rather testy).

• Citizen says:

US has memo of understanding with Israel that no arms sales to Gulf Arabs will be authorized unless US also gives Israel more cutting edge stuff than we sell to any Arab state. Congress always complies. Very lucrative for our military-industrial-security complex. Have never read of any Arab state, such as Saudi Arabia, objecting to this double-double standard favoring Israel by twofold. Guess even the oil-rich tyrannical Arab sheik clans must be happy with second rate US war goods (which is probably all they need to defend against Iran and assure suppression of their domestic masses).

• Daniel Rich says:

@ piotr

side note: this might be of interest in the overall picture link to atimes.com

• Mooser says:

“a number of Jewish neocons started their carriers under Reagan”

And some others got nuclear submarines.

10. Dutch says:

I’m with you all the way, Mrs. Garcia. Just one point bothers me, which I paste below, taken from the first MW-post on topic. Have you really apologized for your point of view, or did I understand wrongly? Would you mind clearing this up?

Quote from MW:
    In a separate statement emailed later Friday to The Palm Beach Post, Garcia said: “My comments were not only inappropriate and hurtful, they are exactly the kind of ugly rhetoric that is not conducive to the overall atmosphere needed to create a prosperous peace and security for both parties. I apologize to anyone I offended and to my friends in the Democratic Party, in particular, members of the Jewish faith whom I have worked with for years.”

11. Dutch says:

“The Jewish State of Israel is a legitimate, sovereign nation that I have long admired for its self-determination and generosity to others, including the recent victims of the Haiti earthquake.” – Garcia.

No. The ‘Jewish State of Israel’ is not legitimate. It exists, it has official backing up to a certain point, but one thing it is not: legitimate. To become shortlisted for this status Israel will have to work through a long list of fundamental changes, including the return of all refugees to their original homes, and embracing international and humanitarian law.

In the highly unlikely case that the supremacist Israeli people can live up to these basic elements of humanity, Israel won’t be a ‘Jewish State’ anymore. So whatever the outcome, the ‘Jewish State’ and ‘legitimacy’ will never be able to live together, Mrs Garcia. Propagating this ‘Jewish State’ crap is accepting bloody violence, ethnic cleansing and apartheid as tolerated means.

• biorabbi says:

Dutch.

Does the Saudi Arabian treatment of woman and Shia make it legitimate?
      Is the killer of 15,000 in Syria, day in and day out, is he legitimate?
      Does the Iranian post-electoral treatment of Iranian students deem it illegitimate?
      You make no mention of North Korea and her police state; legitimate?
      Is Mr. Mugabe legitimate?
      Yemen? Bahrain? Jordan? Do they respect the rights of religious minorities? Are the Shias treated with respect in Saudi Arabia? Are Christians?

Dutch. Any opinion on legitimacy? based on ‘fundamental changes’ that Assad would have to do to regain ‘legitimacy’? or is it just Israel that has to live up to your aspirations? I’m sure the North Koreans and Syrians are quaking in their boots.

• Dutch says:

Well, you got a whole list of things bothering you, but no trace of an opinion on them, nor a reaction on my opinion. Weird. I hope your next post shows a bit of progress.

P.S. The ‘aspirations’ that you mention are called international and humanitarian law.

• biorabbi says:

My opinion of them are they represent human rights abuses far worse than those catalogued concerning Israel. My reaction to your opinion is Israel is legitimate if your context is the history, behavior of her neighbors.

• Mooser says:

biorabbi, Israel’s human rights abuses and illegalities have nothing to do with its illegitimacy. They are just icing on the crap-cupcake. The illegitimacy of Israel is more basic than that.

And you can close your Talmud or Torah now, it’s neither a land-deed nor is it a carte-blanche.

• Dutch says:

I agree with you that the countries mentioned, as probably others as well, are in breach with human rights and int’l law. Unlike Israel, they are not doing that in my name, neither is my country providing ‘exclusive support’ for any of their crimes.

I do not agree with your second opinion, because int’l law doesn’t give me that space. There is no context that would allow Israel the ethnic cleansing of 750.000 Palestinians, neither is there a context for the colonisation that has been going on since. Any state based on such facts is illegitimate.

• Mooser says:

Dutch, but Hitler killed 6,000,000 (estimates differ somewhat) Jews! Or something like that, anyway, it’s different. Jews are white!
          (Just thought I’d save “biorabbi” the trouble of composting another comment.)
          And speaking of biology, hasn’t Israel been great for the ecology! Maybe that’s why he calls himself “biorabbi”!

• biorabbi says:

I don’t read the Talmud nor the Torah, but I do love The Prophets =).

Mooser, is it legal and legitimate when a religious minority in a country, say with 15-20 % of the pre-state population to take control, then ethnically cleanse the country for many years, with periodic bursts, spasms of mass murder. Then when the majority religion finally asserts their rights, they are culled. This may sound like Palestine, but it is Syria. Is the illegitimacy of Syra any more basic than that? Is the mass murder now occurring in the eastern Shia provences of Saudi Arabia legitimate? Is the state legitimate?

I’m curious which standard you find where the “illegitimacy of Israel is more basic than that.” Can you explain why/what standard you would find Israel to be illegitimate and how such standard would fare compared to Jordan, Saudi, and Syria. Educate me, or am I being too talmudic.

• piotr says:

biorabbi: “ethnically cleanse” in Syria? really?

In any case, while definitely the most energetic killer in history, Israel is unprecedented in the scope and perseverance in doing “minor shit”. They even invented a synthetic liquid to spray on people to make them stink. Let us apply it once a week to the front yard of biorabbi, and to the whole building too from time to time, and see how minor this nuisance will seem to be.

12. American says:

“A second question would be what (Jewish) faith has to do with this? If you mean to apologize to ‘Jewish people’ in general is one, but apologizing to ‘religious Jews’ is something else. “…Dutch

Maybe she like many of us do, view Jews “as members of a religion” …..and not as the zionist version of some kind of third way people.

• Dutch says:

Thanks, American, but over here the groups you mention would be the same, as opposed to a non-religious group that is very much anti-Zionist. Hence my question.

What I would like to learn most of all is why Mrs Garcia apologized at all for her e-mails?

13. MHughes976 says:

You say, Evelyn, that an unrepresentative minority among the supporters of Israel is persecuting you. Are you aware of a majority or even of a rival minority among those same people which is defending you amid all this anger and accusation? If so, then it would seem that you have not given offence among reasonable people and therefore have no need to apologise.

14. Ellen says:

Well said.

I suspect you were attracted to politics with most honest and sincere motivations. Welcome to the realities of the US political machine. It is not for honorable people such as yourself.

• Citizen says:

I conclude Ms Garcia was very naive about how the Israel First 5th Column, orchestrated by AIPAC above all their myriad of organizations, actually works, beginning with the seminal case of 1948 Truman (unless you want to start with Woody Wilson and his two key Zionist consultants). She has expressed total surprise that her emails criticizing Israeli conduct and the US enablement of it, were leaked by someone she totally trusted was a true friend and fellow advocate for justice and the American way.

15. Abuadam says:

1. There was no need to apologize for telling the truth !!!!!
    AND
    2. What exactly was offensive, in that you called out the ZIOBOTS on their bigotry!!!!

16. Newclench says:

• Citizen says:

To be sure, her two Democratic opponents will get tons of Zionist cash donations, press OP-Ed favor, local Jewish votes; it’s been done like that since Truman won over Dewey; the rabbi who pounded on Truman’s desk made that clear to Truman–if Truman did not go along with the Zionist program, Dewey would get that cash; the result? Truman beat Dewey and signed and sent letter of recognition to newly self-declared state of Israel within 11 minutes–against the well-considered advice of his administration’s entire State Department and Diplomatic Corps.

I applaud Ms Garcia for her integrity and courage but it was a mistake to resign from the DNC–she gained nothing from that move, nor from retracting the objective truth she displayed in her private emails. For the Zionist machine, she’s a marked woman–but times are a changin’ as Dylan once said. Ms Garcia has a good shot in her community despite the Zionist funnel of cash and bashers rounded up from across America to kill her chance at election. I will, and we all must do all we can to spread the word in this matter, do our best to stop this pattern of making an Israel right or wrong policy a litmus test for election to public office; otherwise even dog-catcher will be subject to it.

• Mooser says:

“Just donated to her campaign. That’s how you make a difference in the United States.”

I’m sure you pulled out your checkbook and offered up to half your kingdom, as soon as you saw the words:

17. ToivoS says:

Now this is one candidate that deserves support. I understand her resignation from the DNC for this is one group that demands party unity. And we all should know what the DNC stand is on Israel. This means that she is willing to run on her own without any party backing and therefore will be relying on independent contributions.

18. dbroncos says:

Mrs. Garcia,

Thanks for speaking out. However, don’t live with any illusions that apologizing will improve your chances at the ballot box. Zionists will do everything in their power to make you say the magic words: “I’m sorry” and then they will do everything in their power to tear you down anyway. Your criticism of Israel will win you the support of voters who recognize the injustice of Israeli Apartheid but apologies won’t win back the good opinion of Zionists.

19. Henry Norr says:

In addition to sending a supportive email, I just made a donation on Ms. Garcia’s website, and I urge all MW readers who can afford to to do likewise!

In my note I promised her another, larger donatio soon if she sticks to her guns and doeesnt cave in to the thugs.

20. Hello Evelyn Garcia,

As a supporter of Israel and as a reader of Mondoweiss, I wish an open debate occurred on the subjects you raise, but unfortunately that is not the case. Although most of the commentators and indeed the editors here do not agree with your, “The Jewish State of Israel is a legitimate, sovereign nation that I have long admired”, I was glad to hear it.

If I can briefly explain: Jewish survival as exemplified by Zionism and Orthodox Judaism lifted persistence to the commanding motto of Jews conscious of the battle to survive. In fact, in my opinion particularly on the issue of the West Bank, change rather than persistence is the necessity and the motto of persistence does not serve Israel or Jews well. But change is scary and persistence is much more dependable and natural and that is the force that changers are up against.

Again, welcome to the conversation.

• German Lefty says:

Right. That’s because we understand that ethnic nationalism inevitably leads to injustice.

Jewish battle to survive? Yeah, right. Because nothing has changed within the last 75 years. Everyone hates you for your Jewishness. So, you need to kill the gentiles before they kill you.

• eljay says:

>> The Jewish State of Israel is a legitimate, sovereign nation that I have long admired …

“Jewish State” is a supremacist construct. The Jewish State of Israel is an oppressive, colonialist, expansionist and supremacist state, born of terrorism and ethnic cleansing, and maintained by means of a 60+ years, ON-GOING and offensive (i.e., not defensive) campaign of aggression, oppression, theft, colonization, destruction and murder.

It’s not something Ms. Garcia – or anyone else – should admire.

• German Lefty says:

“[The Jewish State] is not something Ms. Garcia – or anyone else – should admire.”
        Well, Europe’s right-wing extremists admire the “Jewish State” very much:
        link to guardian.co.uk
        Marine Le Pen was assiduously courting Jews, even while her father and founder of the National Front, Jean-Marie Le Pen, was last month convicted of contesting crimes against humanity for saying that the Nazi occupation of France “wasn’t particularly inhumane”. Marine must disassociate herself from such sentiments without repudiating her father personally or alienating his supporters. To do so she’s laced her oft-expressed Islamophobia (parts of France, she’s said, are suffering a kind of Muslim “occupation”) with a newfound “philozionism” (love of Zionism), which has extended even to hobnobbing with Israel’s UN ambassador.
        Almost all European far-right parties have come up with the same toxic cocktail. The Dutch MP Geert Wilders, leader of the anti-immigrant Freedom party, has compared the Qur’an to Mein Kampf. In Tel Aviv in 2010, he declared that “Islam threatens not only Israel, Islam threatens the whole world. If Jerusalem falls today, Athens and Rome, Amsterdam and Paris will fall tomorrow.”

link to guardian.co.uk
        The results of last week’s parliamentary elections in Israel brought to the surface some of the most rotten fruits of a debate that has been going on throughout the state’s existence: the idea that a mono-ethnic Jewish state is feasible, legitimate and desirable. In other words, it enhanced the predicament of the moral and practical consequences of the Zionist state ideology. [...]
        The Arab citizens of Israel, traditionally ignored by left and right Zionists as a “barely tolerable” minority, embody the impossibility and futility of the attempt to achieve ethnic purity by means of division. A few years of rising racism inside Israel turned its Arab citizens into a “ticking bomb” of the “demographic danger”, and unleashed unprecedented attacks against them by the right wing, with little to no response from the Zionist left.

• Mooser says:

Do you guys think you are at an anti-Zionist website? Cause you’re not.

• German Lefty says:

Do you guys think you are at an anti-Zionist website? Cause you’re not.
          What’s your point, Mooser? I don’t see why this is relevant.
          Anyway, one of the aims of the site is “[t]o offer alternatives to pro-Zionist ideology as a basis for American Jewish identity.” That pretty much sounds like an anti-Zionist website.

• American says:

Obviously Mooser you are not infected with internet insanity.

Beware everyone of too much…
          link to thedailybeast.com

Actually there is some truth in this, you can get addicted and if your iffy anyway you can go over the edge.

• Mooser says:

“What’s your point, Mooser? I don’t see why this is relevant.”

Well, you have a point, it may not be relevant to a lot of readers. Certainly if someone was new to an “alternative” (for lack of a better word coming to me right this second) look at the I-P situation MW would be a revelation, and the finer points of the website’s orientation irrelevant. But there seems to be quite a bit of confusion among commentors about it. There’s a difference, I think a crucial one between “offering alternatives to pro-Zionist ideology” and being anti-Zionist, thinking that the Zionist regime must be wiped from the pages of history.

• German Lefty says:

But there seems to be quite a bit of confusion among commentors about it.
          Mooser, what I meant by “irrelevant” was that even if the website is not anti-Zionist, then I am still free to disagree with the website’s political view and to post my opinion here, in the same way pro-Zionists make comments on here although the website is clearly not pro-Zionist.

Mooser, please explain this difference to me.
          As far as I am concerned, there are three main approaches to Zionism: (1) pro-Zionism, (2) anti-Zionism, (3) indifference. I assume that people who don’t clearly support or reject Zionism wouldn’t bother to run or read this website or to comment on it. And as MW is clearly not pro-Zionist, I must come to the conclusion that it’s anti-Zionist. However, if there are any other approaches, then please enlighten me. And indeed, I think that the Zionist regime must be ended, but not by war or violence.

Mooser, you equate “The Jewish State of Israel is illegitimate” with “Israel is illegitimate”. However, these two statements don’t have the same meaning. Israel can be defined as either “the Jewish state” or “the Israeli state”. I, for one, consider Israel as a Jewish state illegitimate, but I believe that Israel as an Israeli state would be legitimate. And even if there are people who deny Israel any legitimacy, then this doesn’t mean that they want to extinguish or expel the Jews who live in Israel. Statehood and people are two totally different issues, just like statehood and regime.

• Citizen says:

Jewish state survival has not been an issue since mid-1948 (if even that); all its “preemptive” and causa belli wars and occupation and land-grabbing since then have been properly characterized by Jewish historians with access to declassified documents and by a significant number of credible public and historic Israeli leaders, as the acts of an aggressive, rogue state–one that does not deserve the slavish donations and UN SC vetoes America has lavished upon it with no strings attached. America is not Israel, and Israel is only a democracy like ours for its Jewish citizens.

• Mooser says:

“Although most of the commentators and indeed the editors here do not agree with your, “The Jewish State of Israel is a legitimate, sovereign nation that I have long admired”, I was glad to hear it.”

Another words, Yonah Fredman, you are telling us that the “about” section of Mondoweiss, and instead of “offering alternatives to the pro-Zonist ideology” the site is dedicated to destroying Israel? Oh. BTW, that makes the site owner a liar and a very bad man. At the least, he’s completely dishonest, and is misleading his audience to minipulate them.
      Would you kindly point me to the place on Mondoweiss where the editors say that Israel is illegitamate, or do we agree that you are a goddam liar, and nothing but?

The “About” section at Mondoweiss:

Mondoweiss is a news website devoted to covering American foreign policy in the Middle East, chiefly from a progressive Jewish perspective.
      It has four principal aims:

To publish important developments touching on Israel/Palestine, the American Jewish community and the shifting debate over US foreign policy in a timely fashion.
      To publish a diversity of voices to promote dialogue on these important issues.
      To foster the movement for greater fairness and justice for Palestinians in American foreign policy.
      To offer alternatives to pro-Zionist ideology as a basis for American Jewish identity.

Gee, funny, yonah, I don’t see anything there saying that Israel is “illegitimate”. So did you make your weaselly insinuating statement:
      “Although most of the commentators and indeed the editors here do not agree with your, “The Jewish State of Israel is a legitimate, sovereign nation that I have long admired” out of Ziocaine omniscience? I mean, who cares what it says in the “about” section, and what Phil and others have said in posts a thousand times, you don’t have to ‘wonder’ about it, you know.
      Man, what a sleazy little punk you are rhetorically speaking.

21. Theo says:

I never praise someone for doing the right thing correctly, because he or she gets paid to do it!! You must be better to earn a praise.

Ms. Garcia spoke up against the unjust treatment of the palestinians, however her “courage” left her very fast when she faced unexpected pressure. Appologizing for being a decent human being shows the same cowardness that is tipical to most, if not all, politicians we have, including showpersons and journalists. A little pressure and they back down and start kissing boots.

Our founding fathers faced death by hanging if the british could catch them, what happened to our so called “leaders” today? Turn off the money spigot for just a few days or send a few nasty e-mails and they suddenly do the dead cockroach act!
    Ms. Garcia could earn a praise by ignoring the treaths and standing up for her rights guaranteed by our laws. Such act is beyond an average american, therefore earning a praise for courage.

Israel and the jewish associations use our courts to suppress any critic on their wrong doings, how about paying back with the same currency? Call in the police, the FBI and the HS and file charges against all those who can be identified for sending the e-mails.
    I know, it takes courage to stand up to the mad crowd, however it is a good practice to get ready for the cesspool called DC.

• German Lefty says:

“I never praise someone for doing the right thing correctly, because he or she gets paid to do it!”
      I agree.

“Ms. Garcia spoke up against the unjust treatment of the palestinians, however her ‘courage’ left her very fast when she faced unexpected pressure.”
      Please don’t be too hard on her. Unanimous pressure by media and politicians can be really intimidating. When you constantly hear that your views make you an anti-Semite, then sooner or later you probably start doubting yourself and think, “Perhaps all these people are right.” At least, that’s how I sometimes felt before I discovered Mondoweiss.

• Mooser says:

“Our founding fathers faced death by hanging if the british could catch them”

Yes, those awful British would have kept “our Founding Fathers” (including the “Father of our Country”) from killing the Indians or stealing their land as quickly as they wanted to, or possibly, at all.
      So they really had no choice in the matter. Who could live under such oppression. My Freakin God, the British might have outlawed slavery!

• ColinWright says:

An interesting point to all this came from one of my mother’s books.

Paul Revere’s Ride. ‘Should I bother to keep this? Well, nice ‘n glossy. Good reviews on the back…okay — shove it in the bookcase until the next purge’ (I take a decidedly Stalinist approach when it comes to literature).

Pull it out and read it one sleepless night — not bad. One point that is made is that initially, the colonists had no sense of nationhood at all. In fact, one of the rallying cries in the Lexington and Concord period was ‘an Englishman’s home is his castle.’

Indeed, the Zionists have made their own little monster — a Palestinian people. Cook up what you like about the past, it’s there now.

Put down Ben Gurion and Ariel Sharon among the founding fathers. Whatever. They’re there now: and Palestine is where they are from.

22. -” with United Nations votes … including The Republic of Haiti, Israelis established their homeland some 60 years ago.” -

Why did Haiti (and the rest of Latin America) vote for the establishment of Israel in 1948? – What was their motive? Any humanitarian concern for Jewish suffering?
    Is that vote something one can be proud of?

• American says:

@ Krauss

How?…the same way they got other UN countries to vote for them….threating to use US power against them and bribes. ..same things they still do today.

Pro-Israel Pressure on General Assembly Members

When it was clear that, despite US support, the partition recommendation did not have the two-thirds support of the UN General Assembly required to pass, Zionists pushed through a delay in the vote. They then used this period to pressure numerous nations into voting for the recommendation. A number of people later described this campaign.

Robert Nathan, a Zionist who had worked for the US government and who was particularly active in the Jewish Agency, wrote afterward, “We used any tools at hand,” such as telling certain delegations that the Zionists would use their influence to block economic aid to any countries that did not vote the right way.

Another Zionist proudly stated: “Every clue was meticulously checked and pursued. Not the smallest or the remotest of nations, but was contacted and wooed. Nothing was left to chance.”

Financier and longtime presidential advisor Bernard Baruch told France it would lose U.S. aid if it voted against partition. Top White House executive assistant David Niles organized pressure on Liberia; rubber magnate Harvey Firestone pressured Liberia.

Latin American delegates were told that the Pan-American highway construction project would be more likely if they voted yes. Delegates’ wives received mink coats (the wife of the Cuban delegate returned hers); Costa Rica’s President Jose Figueres reportedly received a blank checkbook. Haiti was promised economic aid if it would change its original vote opposing partition.

Longtime Zionist Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter, along with ten senators and Truman domestic advisor Clark Clifford, threatened the Philippines (seven bills were pending on the Philippines in Congress).

Before the vote on the plan, the Philippine delegate had given a passionate speech against partition, defending the inviolable “primordial rights of a people to determine their political future and to preserve the territorial integrity of their native land…”

The delegate went on to say that he could not believe that the General Assembly would sanction a move that would place the world “back on the road to the dangerous principles of racial exclusiveness and to the archaic documents of theocratic governments.”

Twenty-four hours later, after intense Zionist pressure, the Philippine delegate voted in favor of partition.

The U.S. delegation to the U.N. was so outraged when Truman insisted that they support partition that the State Department director of U.N. Affairs was sent to New York to prevent the delegates from resigning en masse.’

link to councilforthenationalinterest.org

• Thanks American. I was actually wondering what could have been the reasons for supporting the Zionist resolution in 1947.

• Miriam says:

Not to forget the scathing statement that India’s first PM, Jawaharlal Nehru in his (published) journal during that period, which I read about in Najma Heptulla’s book “Indo-west Asian relations: the Nehru Era” (1991). “Events at the UN and on the ground in Palestine had disappointed Nehru so much that he”spoke with anger and contempt of the way in which the Palestine vote had been lined up. The Zionists had tried to bribe India wiht the promise of millions and at the same time his sister (Vijayalakshmi Pandit) had received daily warnings that her life was in danger unles she voted right. Despite the pressures exerted on him by the carrot and stick policy of the Zionists, Nehru stood firm and refused to dilute the Indian stand in any way. The Arab League (2/48) threatened withdrawal of oil concessions if the US continued to support the partition of Palestine. (the US had acquired exclusive long term oil-prospecting concessions in West Asia along w/British and Dutch corporations. Owning about 42% of the oil resources in W.Asia, the US had much to lose if the Arab threat became reality. As a ‘safety’ measure the US did a strategic withdrawal of its position on Palestine. Its delegation to the UN withdrew support in the GA and supported the proposal for a temporary trusteeship for the whole of Palestine.” There is much more to this manipulation but the words of Nehru sum it up quite well: “I must say that the US government have handled the Palestine question with quite extraordinary Ineptitude and Opportunism.”

• ColinWright says:

Them’s was the days.

Aside from everything else, the career of Israel should match the trajectory of American power.

We were spoiled. Already a major power, we came upon a world that was otherwise wrecked — and in which the major competition was Russian Stalinism.

Gee — we’re global hegemon! How nice…

But between one thing and another it’s fading, and however much control Israel may establish over us, there’s one thing they can’t control.

Our decline.

• Blake says:

Klaus:
      The Real Story of How Israel Was Created
      by Alison Weir, October 11, 2011

In reality, while U.N. General Assembly recommended the partition of Palestine, that recommendation was non-binding & never implemented by Security Council. Second, the GA pas sed that recommendation only after Israel proponents threatened & bribed numerous countries in order to gain a required two-thirds of votes. Third, U.S. administration supported recommendation out of domestic electoral considerations & took this position over strenuous objections of State Department, CIA, & Pentagon.

When it was clear that the partition recommendation did not have the required two-thirds of the U.N. General Assembly to pass, Zionists pushed through a delay in the vote. They then used this period to pressure numerous nations into voting for the recommendation. A number of people later described this campaign. Financier and longtime presidential adviser Bernard Baruch told France it would lose U.S. aid if it voted against partition.

More: link to original.antiwar.com

• Mooser says:

Well, it may not have been, in the classic definition “self-determination”, but you gotta admit it, they sure were determined.

23. The UN vote was on the Partition Plan in November 1947. But it’s an irony of history that the UN members helped to establish the State of Israel, a state that they subsequently passed endless resolutions – to this day – criticising it.

24. ahadhaadam says:

Why is this apologetic tone? The vile people who support Israel’s apartheid should be apologetic, not you. Those “supporters of Israel” are nothing but Apartheid and ethnic cleansing supporters. Israel is a racist, colonial, illegitimate entity that was created through the ethnic cleansing of Palestine and continues to oppress and dispossess non-Jews for generations.

Those who object to Israel’s despicable policies should never apologize for stating the truth. If you do, they will want more and more contrition and feel vindicated, whereas they are the ones who should be hiding in shame.

• ColinWright says:

“…It’s time that those supporters of that apartheid state moved on the defense, not you.”

This is something I’m inclined to agree with. Why strain your brain figuring out how Zionists can live in security in a land that isn’t theirs to begin with? Was the equivalent a concern when we demanded that whites give blacks the vote in South Africa?

Just demand what is right. Let the Zionists try to come up with the acceptable compromise. They created the problem, and they can fix it — to everyone’s satisfaction.

Or go away. That’s okay as well.

25. lyn117 says:

Hey Evelyn, your kids are so cute, and they look smart, too. I hope you win. I hope to address you next as “Honorable Representative Garcia” or whatever is appropriate.

I don’t think you should have backtracked on your statements regarding Palestinians though (I don’t think you should have resigned either). And as far as Israel sending it’s team to Haiti after the earthquake, while I’m sure the doctors involved were well-meaning and the help was needed, it was also a publicity stunt. My money goes to Doctors Without Borders, they give medical help without stamping a flag on it or otherwise seeking some profit for some illegitimate nation.

26. Dutch says:

So this leaves us with two unanswered questions:

- Why did Mrs Garcia apologize for her e-mails?
    - And why is she trying to slip in the notion of Israel being a ‘Legitimate Jewish State’?

• Daniel Rich says:

@ Dutch&Blake

Agreed.

• Mooser says:

“And why is she trying to slip in the notion of Israel being a ‘Legitimate Jewish State’?”

That seems to be pretty boilerplate for affairs of this type. It’s a necessary rung on the back-down ladder. It’s the ‘Some of my best friends are…’ of I-P issues.

• Daniel Rich says:

@ Mooser,

Q: … It’s the ‘Some of my best friends are…’ of I-P issues.

R: Yep. I’m always deeply touched when I read those lines and for a shallow mind like mine that’s quite a feet … er … blink … blink … feat!

27. Blake says:

Although I feel sorry for her she is way too apologetic and in my opinion only she is playing to their tune. She has nothing to apologize for.

28. Citizen says:

Hey, Jews do control our minds, but its all good: link to blogs.timesofisrael.com

• Mooser says:

Well, I don’t know about you, Citizen, but it’s true: A Jew does control my mind.

• Citizen says:

Yeah, funny. So, what do you think, Mooser, about the content of the article I linked to?

• “A Jew does control my mind.”
        ———————————————
        Mooser – now I understand, why I often don’t understand what you say.

As Miles Davis said: “Hell, if you understood what I say, you’d to be me!”

• ColinWright says:

If you’re married, two of them do.

• Mooser says:

“If you’re married, two of them do.”

Gosh, I never thought I would find out in the Mondoweiss comment thread that my wife converted. Never thought it would happen, she’s pretty devoted to Christianity, thinks quite highly of it.

• Keith says:

CITIZEN- If the Jews control my mind, they have done a piss-poor job of it so far and have a lot of explaining to do, although I doubt that they will willingly accept responsibility.

29. Daniel Rich says:

Q: “My comments were not only inappropriate and hurtful, they are exactly the kind of ugly rhetoric that is not conducive to the overall atmosphere needed to create a prosperous peace and security for both parties. I apologize to anyone I offended and to my friends in the Democratic Party, in particular, members of the Jewish faith whom I have worked with for years.”

R: I don’t think anyone is going to say this and it surely isn’t meant as offensive, merely an observation: either you make comments and stand by them [why would you otherwise make them in the first place] or you bend over backward to cling on to whatever it is you desire to cling on to.

I, personally do not respect the latter. They come a dime a dozen.

30. The Jewish State of Israel is a legitimate, sovereign nation that I have long admired for its self-determination and generosity to others, including the recent victims of the Haiti earthquake.

I think you may not be completely unaware that Israel’s “generosity to others” mostly consists of sending aid to disaster sites for clearly PR reasons. The giant prison for African asylum-seekers being built inside Israel gives us a more accurate picture of what the country’s generosity looks like.

31. “The Jewish State of Israel is a legitimate, sovereign nation that I have long admired…” This is really the only part of the article which I disagree with, but boy is it an important part. The “Jewish State of Israel” is not a “legitimate sovereign nation”. What’s funny is that this woman represents nothing more than liberal zionism. Tell me what the difference between her position and that of Jeffrey Goldberg? There is a slight rhetorical difference, but the position that Israel is legitimate as a Jewish-only state, provided the occupation is ended, is their shared position. This position is untenable in 2012 and it is the furthest thing from brave. The tide of the 1 person 1 vote movement for democracy between the river and the sea cannot be held back forever.

32. ColinWright says:

Grovel, grovel.

It doesn’t matter. When the chips are down, Israel will discover it’s got another real friend.

33. Kathleen says:

“I hold this unelected political action leadership fully responsible for unleashing the barrage of hateful and dangerous threats against me from what I hope is a very small group of extremists. Who do they think they are fooling by accusing me of anti-Semitism? I believe they and the entire world know that criticism of U.S. foreign policy vis a vis Israel is NOT anti-Semitic and saying so doesn’t make it so. It just means that some extremists will intimidate and persecute anyone who doesn’t follow the company line. While they tried to punish me for my views, I think in so doing they have presented an opportunity for discussion on the issue in question, namely: how much longer will U.S. taxpayers subsidize the illegal, immoral occupation of Palestinian territories?”

You go gal…we are right behind you. Keep speaking truth to power. Stick to the facts!