Another Jew describes his journey away from Zionism

Another Jew walks away from Zionism, but it’s in the English press not the American press. This rambling, charming piece by Wayne Myers, formerly a vehement campus supporter of Israel who wanted to move there, was published in the Independent with an overwhelming number of readers approving the message. I’ve excerpted several of musician Myers’s personal milestone moments toward his late epiphany that if preserving a Jewish state involves massacring people in Gaza, it’s not worth it, and that Zionism as effected is racist.

Note two important moments on the way: Myers’s argument against Israel being a democracy, which is crucial to hasbara to demonstrate “our shared values”, and the importance of Cast Lead in 2008-2009 in shattering Myers’s attachment to Zionism.

[In 1987] while in Jerusalem I met and fell in love with Ayelet, an Israeli girl my own age. She was not long out of basic Army training and had taken up a post as a remedial Hebrew teacher at an Israeli Army school. We spoke only in Hebrew and were for a while very much in love, though she thought I was a complete lunatic not just for being a Zionist – among Israelis the word ‘Zionist’ means something somewhat different to its meaning in the wider Jewish community – but also for being on the Machon course at all [course at the Institute For Youth Leaders From Abroad in Jerusalem, run by an arm of the Israeli state known as the Jewish Agency] and for seriously considering moving to Israel permanently: her ambition at the time was to move to New York.

I remember joking then that the most potent form of Zionism was not Religious Zionism, Revisionist Zionism, Political Zionism, or Cultural Zionism, all of which we had been taught about in class at Machon, but was rather Sexual Zionism, which we had not been taught about even once. Looking back, I now understand why hardly anyone, Ayelet included, found my joke funny.

… My plan at the time was to get my degree from Oxford and move to Israel afterwards.

Once back in the UK, my obsession with Zionism continued. At Oxford I changed my degree from Maths and Philosophy to Oriental Studies (Hebrew), a course comprising Hebrew literature and Jewish history; on the history side I made a special study of Zionism up to 1948. …

By 1993, when I left Oxford, things in my personal life had changed. Ayelet, quite reasonably unwilling to spend three years of her early twenties in a long-distance relationship with a complete lunatic, had left me, and I was now romantically involved with Abigail, a rather posh Jewish girl from one of the old established Anglo-Jewish families from before the wave of immigration from Eastern Europe at the beginning of the 20th century that had brought my own great-grandparents to London. Abigail was about as likely to move to Israel as she was to grow feathers and a beak, and I found myself strongly reconsidering my decision to move there myself….

In 1994/5 I spent a further year in Jerusalem on the One Year Graduate Program at the Hebrew University. This was supposed to be my year to ‘check out’ whether or not I really wanted to go and live in Israel, before I made a final decision. Jerusalem is and was a miserable and tedious place for a young secular man in his early twenties; it soon became clear to me that I did not wish to live there after all, and I began drinking heavily…

I had by this time met Daphna Baram, an Israeli journalist and Guardian contributor effectively in exile in London for her anti-Zionist views…. Daphna was the first to put to me directly the astonishing proposition that the best solution for the Israel-Palestine problem was a single genuinely democratic state in which all citizens were treated equally regardless of ethnic origin. Currently, that is not the case. While the state of Israel makes just as reasonable a claim to be a democracy as, say, Belarus or Russia, the fact is that Jewish and non-Jewish citizens are not treated equally.

It is true that there are Israeli Arab Knesset members and that Israeli Arabs can vote, but it is also true that there are huge differences in the way that Israeli Arabs and Israeli Jews are treated by the state, ranging from whether or not they are required to join the army at the age of 18 to whether or not their home town or village gets a reasonable annual budget to cover municipal requirements. It is painfully obvious from available statistics that Israeli Arab areas get substantially less support from the Israeli state than equivalent size Jewish settlements, and that in general, while Israeli Arabs may not offically be second-class citizens of Israel, that is certainly what they are in practice….

Then, in late 2008, Operation Cast Lead began. Having previously largely withdrawn from Gaza in 2005 (though still keeping it surrounded and effectively cut off from the West Bank), Israel began in December 2008 to bombard it indiscriminately, in the name of ending rocket fire into Israel from within the Strip. For the life of me, I could not see how this was supposed to work. I could not see any way of defending this action. As the number of Palestinian casualties grew – far out of proportion to the number of casualties on the Israeli side – it just got worse and worse.

For the first time in my adult life I began wondering whether the Jewish State was actually worth defending at all on any level if this was the price. I was watching a blatant and brutal massacre of Palestinian civilians in Gaza, utterly disproportionate to the attacks that had provoked it, which had in turn been provoked by earlier Israeli incursions, in an endless back-and-forth cycle, in order to defend what?…

On Machon, I’d had training in how to argue against the proposition that Zionism was racism, but no training in how to argue in defence of the indiscriminate massacre of civilian children. That one hadn’t come up.

I began to consider the possibility that I’d been misled…

I can no longer defend Zionism at all, not even in an abstract philosophical sense outside of any context involving the actions of the Israeli state. The Law of Return, under which I – an occasional tourist who just happens to be Jewish – can claim Israeli citizenship at a moment’s notice, while a Palestinian actually born in, say, Haifa, but subsequently exiled cannot – that is a racist law. The notion of a Jewish state? That is – as far as it has been put into practice since 1948 – a racist notion.

Is Zionism racism? It didn’t have to be. There were historical strands within Zionism that were not racist. Martin Buber – Zionist founder, in 1925, of the Brit Shalom organisation advocating a binational state, was not a racist, and nor were the pre-1948 Hashomer Hatzair.

But right now?

It’s really very hard indeed to argue otherwise.

And it’s such a blessed relief to feel that I am no longer obligated to attempt to do so.

No Responses Yet

1. pabelmont
    December 7, 2012, 1:59 pm

Thanks for publishing this quite reasonable reaction. All wavering Zionists should read it. Even the not-yet-wavering. The sexual-Zionists should go to NYC and London and wait for the Israeli-emigrant person of their dreams to come out.

2. Annie Robbins
    December 7, 2012, 2:50 pm

i recommend everyone read the entire article for the full effect, the end especially.

• Kathleen
      December 8, 2012, 7:19 pm

What an evolution. And now he does not have to defend the myth/lies any longer. Sounds like quite a relief for Wayne Myers. And by the way folks Happy Hanukkah to folks who celebrate. And may there some how some day be peace in this conflict for both sides.

• Annie Robbins
        December 8, 2012, 7:38 pm

hey it starts tonight! happy chanukah everyone.

3. Les
    December 7, 2012, 2:57 pm

The theory of Zionism is not racist. The practice of Zionism is.

• Jabberwocky
      December 7, 2012, 9:38 pm

A theory that believes in privilege for one group based on divine right is racist!

• kalithea
      December 7, 2012, 10:47 pm

And that proves the experiment is a monumental failure. And I refuse to believe the theory was in any way honorable when it involved hurting others. At best, it foolishly underestimated human nature and the needs of “others”; therefore the theory was totally flawed from the get-go.

4. Mooser
    December 7, 2012, 3:10 pm

All those lucky sojourners, and I got noplace to go. Always been stuck just about where I am, so what good am I?
    You know, it’s pretty much like the War on Iraq, isn’t it? I mean, to be taken seriously about criticising it, you have to have been for it, so people know you’re serious.
    “I thought it was horse-puckey as soon as I was old enough to understand what it was”. Can’t get an article out of that.

5. Mooser
    December 7, 2012, 3:12 pm

“Is Zionism racism? It didn’t have to be.”

I don’t care if it’s raining, any of you beggars wanna go horseback riding today? My horse, “Wishes” is very well trained.

6. eljay
    December 7, 2012, 3:39 pm

Very admirable, Mr. Myers. Thank you for your story.

7. marc b.
    December 7, 2012, 3:59 pm

i read the entire article. it was worth the read. but why were all the references to atzmon redacted from weiss’s post?

• Citizen
      December 8, 2012, 10:55 am

@ marc b
      I don’t think Phil likes Atzmon; he’s likely banned from this site. Maybe because Atzmon targets card-carrying anti-Zionists as well as Zionists? Phil ignored The Wandering Who? when that Atzmon book came out, although the subject matter of that book is intensely related to MW blog subjects. I get that Atzmon is very much an individualist and has no truck with any degree of tribalism. He hates hypocrisy of any sort; at times, it’s fair to say he has sometimes engaged in hyperbole over the years that’s not always fair to whomever he’s attacking.

• marc b.
        December 8, 2012, 2:53 pm

citizen, i don’t like atzmon, either. i was just making a comment on his editorial choices. it’s not as if myer’s lover letter to atzmon is an insignificant part of the piece. weiss is an odd duck to be sure.

8. MHughes976
    December 7, 2012, 4:19 pm

See also and also from the British scene ‘The Making and Unmaking of a Zionist’ by Antony Lerman.
    Something depends on what we mean by ‘racism’ but contrary to what Myers says Zionism always had to be about special status, nothing else, conferred by race and ancestry, nothing else – which is ‘racism’ in a certain sense. Buber’s binatinationalism makes the claim for special status based on ancestry just as emphatically as does Zionism in other forms.

• Jabberwocky
      December 7, 2012, 9:44 pm

Let’s be clear ‘Jewish’ is based on a religion – Judaism and has nothing to do with race.

There is no Jewish race, ethnicity or however you wish to define it. The ancestry of Jews is all people who have practiced Judaism – including the vast numbers of converts – especially Khazars who are the foundation of the Ashkenazi Jews (a significant minority of Ashkenazi have a maternal mitochondrial gene of Caucasus origin).

• Citizen
        December 8, 2012, 11:03 am

@ Jabberwocky
        “Vast number of converts”? Compared to what religion? Since the theoretical time of the Khazars? The mother’s loins are key traditionally, and traditionally, where do you think all the Jewish jokes come from about the difficulty of converting to Judaism? And, isn’t the child of a Jewish mother and Gentile father considered a Jew traditionally, no matter if he or she believes or does anything–except convert to another religion?

• Jabberwocky
        December 10, 2012, 4:30 am

Citizen,

Not sure why there has to be a comparison with other religions, but the distinct ethnic groups that practice Judaism show considerable conversion. The Khazars are not theoretical there are historical records – Shlomo Sand provides plenty of references. They are the source of the large Jewish communities that inhabited Poland and the western areas of the former USSR as they were pushed west by the invading Mongols – much like other tribal groups in the Europe / Asia boundary area.

You actually confirm my point regarding the maternal lineage. As the Caucasus was the home of the Khazars and the maternal gene for up to 40% of Ashkenazi originated in the Caucasus this demonstrates that they came from that area and not the Levant.

• MHughes976
        December 8, 2012, 1:35 pm

I must admit that I think that race is an altogether unscientific idea.
        Ancestry is real enough, of course. I meant that Zionism attributes rights to those who can show, or make a show of showing, that they have ancestry, in certain degrees, which was Jewish. That set of ancestors was indeed a set of people distinguished by practising the Jewish religion. The claim of right is not dependent on each individual’s professing or following the same religion personally: ancestry will do. I’m writing rather laboriously here, must admit.

9. kalithea
    December 7, 2012, 5:05 pm

Here’s what needs to be questioned: Why does this individual have to change girlfriends three times to finally get in touch with his HUMANITY??? For someone who actually lived in Israel and no doubt visited regularly, he certainly didn’t need a Cast Lead wake up call or AHA! moment after TWENTY YEARS to understand what was going on there! Was he deaf, dumb and BLIND for TWENTY YEARS (1987 to 2008)?

“I made a final decision. Jerusalem is and was a miserable and tedious place for a young secular man in his early twenties; it soon became clear to me that I did not wish to live there after all, and I began drinking heavily…”

While Palestinians were being driven from their homes, while bulldozers were busy up and down the West Bank, while Palestinian men, women and children were lined up in cattle cages at checkpoints and at the very same time that Baruch Goldstein slaughtered unarmed Palestinians while they were in prayer not to mention the numerous state-sponsored massacres–he was miseraaaaaable, bored and feeling sorry for himself, ohhhh, poooor privileged thing!

I feel so overcome by his existential crisis!

10. Mooser
    December 7, 2012, 6:19 pm

kalithea, let me explain it to you. See, if a person is immediately and completely, for many very apparent reasons rejects Zionism, it’s got to be because they just don’t like things Jewish very much. But a person who has been a Zionist for many years and then switches? Now there’s moral gravitas! They are the only ones who are really qualified to say things like: “Is Zionism racism? It didn’t have to be.”
    And now former Zionists can bring all the energy, committment and ethical principles of Zionism to non-Zionism, not-a-Zionism, and maybe even anti-Zionism. I can’t wait. Certainly, their should be no penalty for once having embraced Zionism, as long as you get a clean bill of health from the ICC, of course.

• kalithea
      December 7, 2012, 10:00 pm

Yes, in this case you’re the good cop, and I get it, but allow me to be the bad cop as it’s still well-deserved. After all, if he and more like him would have experienced their “epiphany” sooner or rather would have been less self-absorbed and more concerned with humanity around them regardless of religious persuasion and color, then maybe, the slaughter of over a thousand Palestinian children, the massacre of thousands more Palestinians and the demolition of tens of thousands of Palestinian homes (i.e. the ongoing Palestinian nightmare) happening while he was dating and embracing the Zionist dream could have been prevented; and that is the worst tragedy of all. Can he live with that fact???

So forgive me if I don’t feel like welcoming him into the light with open arms just yet. First, I’ll want to know he’s thrown himself into this cause with deep conviction in order to fully trust his ephiphany, thanks. Because with awareness comes responsibility. But yes, I totally get your point: unfortunately, because Zionist perception is so compromised; alas, only the “converted” have the effect of pissing Zionists off hopefully to the point that they snap out of their delusion.

• Citizen
        December 8, 2012, 11:23 am

@ kalithea

Hey, give the kid a break! Aren’t there late-bloomers? Remember Goldhagen’s thesis! Or does that only apply to Germans? Seems more and more Jewish Americans are seeing the light; one day we will see them telling us how it was a mistake in hindsight, but they could only operate with the intelligence data available at the time–a la Iraq War. I mean, looking at history, how many White Roses have there been? And see the thread here a few day ago on teaching history to K-12 right here in USA. And get ready for armed war on Iran while you are at it, not just Draconian economic sanctions punishing those Persians.*

*See Shahs Of Sunset reruns on BRAVO for the meaning of “Persian.” Especially the episode with the old grandmother giving her half-breed son the stink eye. Earlier episode distinguishes between the rich Persians who escaped during the beginning of the Iranian Revolution, and those poor ones who came to USA later.

• piotr
        December 8, 2012, 9:19 pm

I think he is Anglo-Jewish, and as you could see, Zionism was never as strong in those parts as in USA or Canada. Even so, it took a year of saxophone lessons from Atzmon, we are talking about industrial strength de-programming.

Of course, it is an interesting and well written story. Atzmon angle is indeed worth some reflection.

• Dutch
      December 7, 2012, 11:04 pm

Kalithea,

As for Mooser’s gravitas: when even the big chuncks of granite come loose, we’ve got a hell of a landslide underway. I understand your criticism, but don’t forget to enjoy the ride.

• Citizen
        December 8, 2012, 11:27 am

Hey, Mooser’s not a tiny pebble of loose granite, he just doesn’t see very well, but he can hear and smell to compensate.

11. chinese box
    December 7, 2012, 7:14 pm

@Kathleen and Mooser:

I agree this guy is way late to the party. The idea that he was over there while images of children being brutalized during the first intifada were being broadcast around the world and didn’t notice anything wrong strains credulity to the breaking point. But I think we have to welcome people like this and be content with ending this and realize that others may get the credit for it even if they did little. When and if Zionism collapses there will probably be some new American myths spun out of whole cloth that ignore the support this country gave to Israeli regimes for decades.

• Citizen
      December 8, 2012, 11:30 am

@ chinese box
      You can bet on it. Americans are no different than old Germans in this respect.

• MLE
      December 8, 2012, 2:10 pm

How old was he? If he was 10-13, I don’t blame him for not really recognizing what was going on. Especially pre Internet days of the 1980s. I didnt really understand what was going in Israel until I was in my late teens when my parents stopped shaping the environment I was exposed to

• chinese box
        December 9, 2012, 10:44 am

@MLE

It says he met and fell in love with an Israeli soldier in 1987, so I’m assuming he was at least 18 yo. at that time.

• Kathleen
      December 8, 2012, 7:45 pm

“When and if Zionism collapses there will probably be some new American myths spun out of the whole cloth that ignore the support this country gave to Israeli regimes for decades” And that the real support and bullying came from the I lobby and the majority of the American Jewish community. That is why I hammer on the point that folks should acknowledge this part first and then bring the changes that are happening among the Jewish community now up. But do not try to make it appear that this is the way it has always been. Which I heard some from the Young Jewish and Proud group doing at the Occupy Aipac events in DC. Trying to spin it and make it appear that Jews have always been involved with this critical issue…which is a flat out lie. Some more myth making attempts. The changes are wonderful but don’t lie about the past support. I know for some folks trying to be on the right side of history when it is getting much easier to make these stands is partially why they get involved.

12. ritzl
    December 7, 2012, 11:31 pm

This is a good piece, so maybe it doesn’t need repeating, but I will anyway, if only to highlight the crime, and support the rationale for change within the Jewish community, from an outsider.

The Cast Lead slaughter was planned during, and initiated after, an enforced (by Hamas, that “terrorist” org) five-month lull in rocket fire. Instead of trying to exploit the opportunity presented by the acknowledged lull (by MoD Barak) to reduce rocket fire to actual zero through negotiations based on good faith gestures, Israel killed 1500 people, made homeless another many thousands more, and destroyed Gaza economically, and radicalized all the dead people’s families.

Why? What’s the point except killing for killing’s sake. Why not solve the problem given the obvious opportunities to do so?

The end result (over the last few years) was more rockets, so Cast Lead had Zero strategic and/or tactical military effect. Less than zero actually.

Israel almost always attacks/kills first.

Eventually this will catch on as NOT a preferred way to be for most normal people, among whom there are many, if not a majority of, Jews.

Maybe my wish for an alloying (i.e. risking an assimilation of sorts, from what I understand to be the anti/non-zionist Jewish perspective that this site represents, into the rest of us millions that want to see actual peace in the P/I conflict) of normal people is presumptuous on my part, but the opportunity is there. It’s very much the same as the opportunity presented by Hamas, pre Cast Lead. There’s a lot of good faith out there. Embrace it.

FWIW.

• kalithea
      December 8, 2012, 12:59 am

“Why? What’s the point except killing for killing’s sake.”

I like it when people ask WHY, but hope as well that they search for the answer. IMHO, the answer is this: Zionism needs to provoke in order to maintain the illusion of the “terrorist Palestinian born every day” to survive. Because Zionism is so inherently unjust, racist and supremacist it requires a sensational COVER and that front is the false image Zionists project to the world: “we are the eternal victims and in Israel we are the victims of those terrorist Palestinians”. Therefore whenever Zionism is threatened by a lull in Palestinian resistance or peaceful protests or some change in global perception, Israelis do something to provoke a violent reaction from their “savage” captives. Of course, then the Diaspora Zionist network moves into full gear in the political arena, the media and on the internet to ensure control of narrative and perception.

• Citizen
        December 8, 2012, 11:33 am

@ kalithea
        I agree, ritzl missed that completely. Looking closely at the time lines involved in historical context from the available documented evidence would cure him of having such evidence fly by over his head.

• ritzl
        December 13, 2012, 11:23 pm

@Citizen No, with respect to you and kalithea, I didn’t miss anything. It was a completely rhetorical question. The rhetorical answer, that kalithea outlined, is that provocation and killing is self-serving to Israel, and to be honest, but to a vastly lesser extent, to Hamas. A VASTLY lesser extent (that dynamic may be changing with this cease-fire, where Hamas and the PTB in Gaza now seem to have made enough of a comparison that a COMPLETE stoppage of rocket fire unless attacked is the unified way to draw contrast and proceed).

So, absolutely killing and provocation is the Israeli strategy. The question is how abhorrent or obvious (two different things, sadly) does this policy have to become in order for it to be recognized as either, and acted against internationally.

I mean the Israelis are completely off their nut, and the question is when will that have import or even effect in the eyes of the proverbial “international community.”

Cheers.

13. yrn
    December 8, 2012, 6:40 am

Welll………. I read it first in “Gilad Atzmon” blog and then I have seen the Tony Greenstien copied the same article and now after a few weeks you discovered it.
    Well looks like its hard to find Jews that describes their journey away from Zionism……

Consult Atzmon and Greenstien first…. they are always digging to find those lost souls.

• Citizen
      December 8, 2012, 11:36 am

@ yrn
      As I commented above, for some reason MW ignores Atzmon. He’s very valuable; I’d like to see MW give credit to Atzmon, and if Phil doesn’t like Atzmon for whatever reason, he could still say why. I’m not aware he has ever done so.

• piotr
        December 8, 2012, 4:20 pm

This is part of what Wayne wrote on Atzmon: “His views are, nonetheless, extreme; for example he is against the concept of secular Jewish anti-Zionist organisations, and believes them all, along with any concept of secular Jewish identity, to be a stalking horse for Zionism itself.”

In my opinion, the decision to ignore Atzmon was correct, and taken openly with deliberation. The problems with Atzmon go deeper than this short characterization indicates. He is an interesting and often compelling character, but also a trouble in a bad way. Radicals should cause trouble, and non-radicals should recognize the universal benefit from challenging, even irritating, the existing order, “upseting towns in slumber”. But too much of a good thing is not always marvelous.

• Citizen
        December 9, 2012, 12:07 pm

I don’t see how MW should ban Atzmon’s independent notions from the discussion here, when many Mondoweissers think Chomsky’s POV (root evil is leftover colonialism and imperialism–don’t be distracted by obvious success of Israel Lobby in USA) leaves much unattended.

• W.Jones
        December 8, 2012, 10:25 pm

MW posted two open letters by Atzmon’s critics this March:
        link to mondoweiss.net

MW’s main editors did not sign it, however. There were alot of comments criticising the letters on the thread, and the thread was locked, although I don’t know why.

14. David Samel
    December 8, 2012, 10:37 am

To those like kalithea and Mooser who question why this guy is so late to the party, better late than never. It is a universal human phenomenon that children grow up with their parents’ values and it’s awfully tough to switch. How did so many generations of whites grow up in South Africa, convinced of their own racial superiority? Why do so many Amish kids, even after experiencing the outside world for a year, return to the fold and live a simple life from centuries past? There is nothing unique about Jews being brought up to support Israel with the powerful idea that it is the Jewish phoenix risen from the ashes of the Holocaust. For a similar reason, there was near 90% American support for the Gulf War and Afghanistan War in the early stages. For that matter, there are billions of people around the globe who believe in a divine being who is omniscient and omnipotent, because they are taught that as kids. Even though they never see proof of a deity when they reach adulthood, they still believe, often more devoutly.

Mooser, you sum it up yourself when you claim that you’ve always been stuck where you are (an anti-Zionist). Obviously, despite your Jewishness, you were not raised as a Zionist. It’s easy not to have to move from your upbringing. My kids grew up without a racist bone in their bodies. But if you see a six year old white kid using the word “nigger,” wouldn’t you pity the child and fear he will grow up racist because of his environment? Hopefully, he will change as an adult, but change is difficult, and whenever he does, he should be welcomed, not chastised. People like Myers should be embraced, not faulted for their “late” conversion.

I speak a little from self-interest, since I made the same journey as Myers, as did other people like Phil and Shmuel and Avi (I think). And the change is gradual. It took me longer than Myers.

• Donald
      December 8, 2012, 11:16 am

“I speak a little from self-interest,”

Actually, you speak as a normal human being who is aware of being fallible.

• Citizen
        December 8, 2012, 11:46 am

Yeah, David Samel’s point is well-taken, Donald. And I said essentially the same thing up this thread. By the way, I don’t recall Mooser ever saying how he was raised by his parents, and whether or not he grew up in a relatively insular sub-culture in America up to K-12, etc. Was, e.g., the word “goy” used around the house in a more or less pejorative way, etc. Sort of like lots of American kids who grew up at home with the use of “nigger” or “spear-chucker” etc, or, in the sandlot. with expressions like “Don’t try to jew me down!” These days it’s still happening, but the terms are different, e.g., “rag head, camel-jockey” etc.

• GJB
      December 8, 2012, 11:21 am

Thanks, David. Without “converts” of some sort or other being welcomed there would probably not be many of us on this site. Growing up in the Secular Jewish Left, I was fortunate not to have been exposed to much of the propagandistic drivel that many others I knew were indoctrinated with. But even in my circles, true information about the reality of Israel/Palestine was hard to come by, and it is not hard for me to understand how so many well meaning people could be taken in and not see what was happening. The vision of those “socialist” kibbitzim was often celebrated, none of us realizing that many of them were built atop destroyed Palestinian villages. While I have opposed the Occupation from the beginning, it was only recently that I have become aware of the situation, both historically and in the present, regarding the Palestinian citizens of Israel. It’s information that one often has to seek out, not always obvious unless it’s pointed out. Even when I had the opportunity about 30 years ago to speak to some members of the PLO Observer Mission to the UN (who I met at a party), conditions within the Green Line never came up as we discussed the Occupation. If I wasn’t going to hear it from them, how was I to hear it? (It actually took until I discovered this site, and links to books such as John McCarthy’s, “You Can’t Hide the Sun”). And “converts” from Zionism are often the most credible people to learn the truth from; one of the best examples, probably THE best, is Miko Peled (“The General’s Son”).

15. American
    December 8, 2012, 11:51 am

Well I don’t care if Myers came late or early to the anti zionist party.
    There is STILL something wrong with people….maybe temporary or long term insanity, some mental maladjustment…….when they fall for ” justifying ” some crime like taking another’s land and home for the ‘greater good of their own”.
    Lucky for Myers he recovered and left the cult.