Open Letter from NY Jews to Mayor de Blasio: ‘AIPAC does not speak for us’

The following letter was shared with Mondoweiss:

An Open Letter to Mayor Bill de Blasio:

We are Jewish residents of New York who read, in the leaked transcript of your private speech to a meeting of AIPAC leaders, the following:

“City Hall will always be open to AIPAC. When you need me to stand by you in Washington or anywhere, I will answer the call and I’ll answer it happily ’cause that’s my job.”

We understand that the job of mayor of New York is a complex one that often calls for your participation on the international stage, and we would not presume to define your job for you. But we do know that the needs and concerns of many of your constituents–U.S. Jews like us among them–are not aligned with those of AIPAC, and that no, your job is not to do AIPAC’s bidding when they call you to do so. AIPAC speaks for Israel’s hard-line government and its right-wing supporters, and for them alone; it does not speak for us.

Sincerely yours,

Rebecca Vilkomerson
Rabbi Burton Visotzky
Peter Weiss
Jack Willis
Eugenia Zukerman

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.
Posted in American Jewish Community, Israel Lobby, US Politics

{ 28 comments... read them below or add one }

1. pabelmont says:

Thanks to those who organized this letter. Please make it possible for other New Yorkers to sign on as additional signatories. I’d sign in a NY minute. The universities must be full of people — faculty and students — who’d sign. Etc.

We need to sign. And deB needs to have us sign and publicly. Anti-AIPACism is no good in the closet.

2. seafoid says:

Open letter from money in bank accounts of Jewish onepercenters in NYC

We are the dollars of Jewish onepercent residents of New York and Miami who cannot read but we heard in the leaked transcript of your private speech to a meeting of AIPAC leaders, the following:

Good boy. That’s the way we like it
    And if you dare change we’ll break your ass.

• pabelmont says:

seafoid: Depends on who needs whom more. But in politics it makes sense to make nice with potential (and past) donors. Are these the guys he wants Albany’s permission to tax more heavily? Bring back the commuter tax? Etc.? Gee, NYC needs money! Please — and I’ll support Israel all you want. OTOH, if they say “no”, what’s his next move? Stay tuned.

• seafoid says:

What good is “Isreal” to NYC? Honestly.

Say it was a Djibouti cult that ran a food monopoly in Gotham and in order for people to eat the Mayah had to bend over and swear allegiance to Djibouti.

Would that be natural ? Would it be way out in the open ?

3. Great people! Thank you!

Where was this open letter published at first?

4. John Douglas says:

It’s a positive development that de Blasio’s first political blunder and first political lesson is that there are limits to the extent to which one can suck-up to the Lobby. It’s only recently that limits appeared on the scene. Let’s hope that Cory Booker is given the same lesson.

• Citizen says:

Cory Booker has been played by the othrodox rabbis who surround him; I gather he’s an earnest, spiritual fellow, not simply one who calculates political gain, although he does that too–what I don’t understand about his thinking, from what he has said in public, is… why doesn’t he think Palestinians are as human as he is?

5. Lucas says:

It is very notable that there are not many more signatories to this letter. It means that mainstream Jewish Americans, even progressive and/or entitled New York Jewish Americans, believe that AIPAC speaks for them, no?

• there’s probably a few people reluctant to place their names on something like this for other reasons. like parents, grandparents, friends relatives, employers (currentand future) employment/job opportunities, just to name a few. i wouldn’t chalk it all up to “believe that AIPAC speaks for them”. and, chances are there are other people who have just not heard of this letter..perhaps?

• Lucas says:

When it really mattered to stand up and be counted, so many opted to not do so.

• Citizen says:

I wonder too who all has heard of this letter. I do want to thank those few who did sign it, and I wish to state my admiration for them, and hope others follow suit. Does this letter appear anywhere besides MW? If so, where?

• Dutch says:

I think this is not so much about numbers. It’s everyone’s guess that there are lots of people who would sign on to this statement. It really starts with standing up. Others will follow, no doubt.

• Giles says:

Maybe we need a letter from the millions of non Jews who live in NYC that probably do not think defending Israel is in the Mayor’s job description

6. Baldur says:

This is an excellent initiative. It’s crucial to make your voice heard in this type of matter, and speaking directly to De Blasio in this fashion is the best way to do it.

7. Les says:

An impressive list of names though none own any of the New York City area print or broadcasting outlets, everyone of which supports Israel’s ethnic cleansing of the Palestinians. De Blasio wasn’t speaking to Jews but rather to the Jewish owners of that media.

8. MRW says:

Good for them. I like the brevity and clarity, makes it much more powerful than the endless litany of the ‘values’ the dissent is representing. They’re basically telling de Blasio to suck face.

9. alipep says:

Let me know how to sign on and distribute this letter. You’ll have thousands of signatures in a week! I was very upset by DeBlasio’s lack of understanding on the issue and assumption that AIPAC is the partner to affiliate with. There are many progressive voices he needs to hear from now.

10. Erica Jong, Gloria Steinem among the signers..

11. Scott says:

Lucas, It’s not a numbers of regular people kind of letter. It’s a letter representing a certain slice of the New York artistic-literary elite. A lot of names of those who have been prominent both professionally and in various liberal causes for many years. I’m not a good person to do a who’s who guide, but one could be done. I’m very sure that smart people in the de Blasio circle will recognize this as a culturally weighty and influential crowd. And AIPAC, which I think has never been called out so directly by a lot of famous and semi-famous people. The letter is a milestone.

• Citizen says:

Is that why Phil and Adam signatures are not on the letter? Did they get asked to sign it? Why keep it so NY artsy precious? Somebody contacted these particular people to sign the letter? Who was contacted that did not sign? Who? Maybe MJ Rosenberg knows?

12. jayn0t says:

What’s the point of Jews saying “AIPAC does not speak for us”? Does anyone else claim that a racial supremacist organization does not speak for them? Did anyone ever say the South African apartheid government, or the KKK, does not speak for us?

13. Nevada Ned says:

I recognize some people on the list.

Emanuel Ax, famous musician
    Peter Beinart, author
    Jane Hirschman, author
    Erica Jong, author (Fear of Flying)
    Alice Kessler-Harris, dstinguished historian @ Columbia
    Pogrebin (Letty), author, political activist and co-founder of Ms. magazine.
    Michael Ratner, attorney and director, Center for Constitutional Rights
    Anne Roiphe, author
    Alisa Solomon, Journalism prof at Columbia
    Gloria Steinem, feminist author
    Rebecca Vilkomerson, Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP)
    Peter Weiss, I goofed here, I thought it was the playwright and author of Marat/Sade, but that person died in 1982.

They could get a lot more signatures. JVP has a mailing list of 100,000, but this petition didn’t even have signatures of all the JVP staffers. Still this is a milestone, as Scott says.
    A lot depends on whether or not the signatories can become a permanent organization.
    They also need some younger people. A lot of the people that I recognize are in their 60′s and 70′s. Gloria Steinem is 79.

14. charlesfrith says:

Most excellent. Feels like the Cavalry arriving.

15. NYIronweed says:

Bravo!! This letter helps restore my faith in all of those brave, just Jewish people that taught me so much about human rights and human dignity when I first moved to NYC 45 years ago. But then that was before the Age of AIPAC in America. I never thought I would live to hear the first progressive Democratic Mayor of NYC in years swear allegiance to the inequalities of Apartheid Israel. Shame.

• jayn0t says:

NYIronweed: “45 years ago… that was before the age of AIPAC”. 66 years ago, the US government caved in to the Zionist lobby, as Phil Weiss explained just 3 days ago: link to mondoweiss.net

“I never thought I would live to hear the first progressive Democratic Mayor of NYC in years swear allegiance to the inequalities of Apartheid Israel.” You aren’t really that naive, are you?

16. Lucas says:

When it really mattered to stand up and be counted, so many opted to not do so.