Why don’t you share all the good things about Israel?

“Why don’t you share good things about Israel?”

A few days ago, a very good Palestinian friend of mine shared a post on Facebook, about Israeli Skinheads. It referred to activists of the fascist Kahane Hai movement. Rabbi Meir Kahane, who was convicted in 1971 for a terrorist bomb-plot of the Jewish Defense League, became a member of Knesset in 1984, until his party was banned from Knesset in 1988. He inspired some of the most radical religious-nationalism in Israeli history.

A Jewish-Israeli kibbutznik contact responded with the comment: “Why don’t you share good things about Israel, we are many more than these few idiots?”

It is worth noting here, that my friend is actually involved in quite serious and close debate with prominent Zionist Israelis, including leading editors.

The response intrigued me because I was just planning to write this article, circling exactly around this question, which I had been asked in various forms over the past few years. This comes in various forms, but the nerve is similar – it is the suggestion that this is not representative of Israel as a whole.

Whilst I cannot reveal the sources of the following quotes, I would like to provide a few examples to demonstrate what I mean:

In general response to my writings over the past year, many of which concern the Israeli-Palestinian issue, I got this from a young Israeli responder:

“I believe the message would pass also if you moderate your words slightly….in my opinion there are far more grave issues, such as discrimination, racism, poverty, hate – which are more important for me to deal with before our political-military situation”.

Going further back in time, in July 2014, when I posted an article concerning Israeli Knesset co-speaker Moshe Feiglin’s (Likud) 7-point plan for the ethnic cleansing of Gaza  (notably, without further comment from my side), I got this response from an Israeli Jew:

What’s your point? That this is our point of view as Israelis? That this is what everyone here hopes for?

The man is a crazy extremist, with opinions that nobody takes seriously. Most Israelis would agree with you on this point. I don’t really understand what you are working so hard to prove in the past few days. That we are all hoping for the death of Palestinians? That we all want them gone? That we all think that war is the solution? Our hearts are torn apart in the past few weeks seeing all these young lives, on both sides, taken by this endless conflict. All this while trying to keep our own families safe from rockets flying above us or from terror attacks through tunnels, which go right under your family’s kibbutz in the south.

I assume you are doing this because you care about what’s going on here and because you feel connected, otherwise you might be more concerned about other conflicts such as the thousands dead in Syria, for example. But doing this, without actually being here and facing the situation, with your own children, feels patronizing and insults me personally, as it seems you are trying to show the world we are monsters.

You don’t know what people here actually want and hope for. Most of us want peace, want a diplomatic solution and want the Palestinians to be able to live peacefully and prosper as our neighbors. But yes, we also want our families to be safe. If you want to actually help, or make a difference, you are more than welcome to actually fulfill your democratic right to vote for government and come here and help us change this reality. Otherwise, the only thing you are helping is maybe clearing your own conscience”.

(It’s important to note, as I already did on the 4th of August 2014, in the wake of Siha Mekomit (Local Call) article in Hebrew that day, that the whole claim of Hamas tunnels reaching into nearby villages was a hoax at governmental level, deliberately made to stir hysteria and muster wide popular support for the ground invasion of Gaza on the pretext of what was portrayed as “terror tunnels”. See coverage in English from a week later on at 972.).

It is true that I have family in a kibbutz just near the border with Gaza. The response thus contained an emotional plea not only for national solidarity, but also family solidarity, as it were.
This was a long time ago, but I find it useful to copy here what my response was at the time:

“I’m happy you’re following and commenting my links, really. Yet I find your response a bit paranoid – no, I am not trying to suggest that everyone in Israel thinks the same or hopes for the same, why would you think I would think so? Have I ever expressed anything that even suggests that or anything close? And certainly not in relation to the subject of this post. You suggest that I don’t know what it’s like, but I’ve been in Israel in times of war and under rocket fire.

The views I bring are often linked to informative sources, and some of the most critical articles posted are actually by Israelis, for example Journalist Gideon Levy and [former] politician Yossi Sarid.

So now, why do I tend to bring so many articles and views which are critical towards Israel’s conduct and social tendencies? Is it because I want to hurt you, or destroy Israel’s PR for fun? Are my posts about military misconduct construed in order to weaken IDF morale and endanger the lives and security of my family near Gaza?

No, the answer is completely different, and I hope you will have the courage to believe what I am about to write:

It is because I care. I think that the way in which Israel is acting is endangering you, our families, the lives of Israeli civilians and soldiers, and is certainly causing death and misery for Palestinians. Besides, this conflict affects the whole world in no uncertain ways.

It is my educated view, that Israel needs a radical shift to alleviate this suffering, and that as internal pressures within Israel generally seem, in my view, to keep things either in a harmful status quo or worsen [it], then I choose to put my voice in.

Yes, I have the right of vote. But more importantly, I have my mind and ability to think, write and enter discussions also with various Israelis as well as non-Israelis.

These are my views, and as mentioned, they are not more critical than those aired by [other] prominent Israelis.

I wonder, If I were to forward the numerous official IDF and ‘support Israel’ propagandas that I get forwarded even by close family friends, whether that would go down better and I would be more popular with the family? Honestly, I think it would.

Yet whilst I am aware of the dismay and even hurt this might cause in you, and whilst I am aware of the possibility of losing friendships because of my views (and this has happened), I choose to express what I feel is essential.

I suppose I write a lot about Israel both because of my personal Interest and care, as well as my actual ability to engage in meaningful discourse about it with my various Israeli contacts, as well as non-Israeli ones.

I dare say that after 7 years of actual research intro the history of the Israel-Palestine conflict, as well as continuous follow-up up of news and currencies, I actually know more about these matters than the average Israeli.

If I can possibly contribute to greater understanding, to a more lucid debate, to possible changes and most of all to peace and freedom for the region, in my small ways, why would I not do that? Would that not be for everyone’s good, also yours?

If you or anyone else disagrees with my views, you are free and welcome to comment them. Mine are written solely for peaceful purposes, and I intend to continue, as my conscience bids me to.”

Indeed, the nerve of these comments either just asking to ‘moderate’, or even to ‘say nice things about Israel’ (rather than just negative, as it were), is about the PORTRAYAL that Israel gets by the focus upon its nationalist elements.

But returning to the first mentioned, recent comment, “Why don’t you share good things about Israel, we are many more than these few idiots?”, I would like to copy my own response which I had posted:

“I share things about very much else than the Kahana Hai or Lehava or Al Yahud Judeo-Nazis. I still note them sometimes, like when I focused on the murder rally, or the murder wedding. So does [my contact]. She’s even in touch with some pretty leading Zionist editors, and has a perspective on a wide range of matters regarding Israel.

But we cannot dismiss, that the genocidal ‘fringe’ as you would have it, is far from being a fringe really. I mean, it’s probably already cliché, but what would you say about government top, like Lieberman? Drowning and beheading Palestinians by thousands? Bennett? Killing lots of Arabs and having no problem with it? Shaked? Killing those “little snakes” [Palestinian children]?

I’m afraid it’s a matter of national ideology that is so egregious, that we have to relate to it with great thrust. I mean, there will be time to talk about nice things, but how can you chat about such stuff when such things are on the go? Yes, I know there should be space for “other things”, but isn’t it good to apply a major focus to affect this atrocity? I would love to be able to drop all such focus. It’s a torture to witness. But it’s also a responsibility to note.

The other matter is that when even the left warn of the danger of being perceived as “Arab lovers”, you begin to get that this is a state that has pretty much lost it. And who will change this, the same Israelis who for the most enjoy the privilege of this madness? I’ve given up on that. And I’m one of those Israelis. We should be so happy that there are those who still care enough to not resort to trivia in the face of crimes against humanity.”

In risk of repeating myself, I would say that the major problem of liberal Zionists today (a description which, I believe, encompasses all three responders), is one of perception – perceiving Israel as a more or less ‘normal’, ‘democratic’ country. It appears to me that the outcry is not so much about the fact that these extremist expressions are shared – but that they are ‘excessively’ shared. But I am an activist. I am not a PR spokesman for Israel. I have a political outlook, and a political motive. And in my view, the situation Israelis, and particularly Palestinians, are in, requires nothing less than a radical focus and radical change. This is not the kind of change that is bound to come from Israeli ‘democracy’, because that ‘democracy’ has been conditioned by ethnic cleansing and Apartheid to serve the needs of its ruling majority, with a minor ‘permission’ for representation of the ‘others’ on strict condition that they do not challenge the Jewish State. That is not democracy. That is a very dangerous construct. The acts that ensue from this construct and its growing fascism are its fruits, and evidence of its inherent danger. In the light of this grave danger, it is not ‘obsessive’ to focus upon these matters.

I have also been asked by Israeli responders why I write so much about the occupation. Left-center leader Yitzhak Herzog also chided Gideon Levy for “obsessing” about the occupation. But it is not the focus that is the problem. The problem is the problem. And as long as you think the problem is just a ‘little problem’ amongst many other ‘little problems’, you’ll have a problem with that.

About Jonathan Ofir

Israeli musician, conductor and blogger / writer based in Denmark.

1. bintbiba
    June 4, 2016, 1:19 pm

Thank you , Jonathan , for your clear thinking and fair mindedness !

2. Laurent Weppe
    June 4, 2016, 2:00 pm

Because these few violent idiots have subjugated you.

3. Angel
    June 4, 2016, 2:45 pm

Smug, arrogant, condescending, know-it-all, holier-than-thou, all and more apply to this article. To sum it up, no, the problem is not that it is deluted in a bunch of other problems, the problem is that on a scale of 1 to 100 of all the problems the world is currently facing, you choose to obsess to such a degree about one that deserves at most a 10 while preferring to ignore the many that are much higher in terms of human misery, urgency, catastrophic humanitarian disasters (e.g. Syria), etc. That’s the huge hypocrisy of your type (and the whole “Human Rights” crowd): the only people worthy of your attention are the Palestinians. The rest? Well, who cares? You don’t have any time for them, sorry. Too busy obsessing about the Palestinians. Have a good life, people, if you can keep it.

• Annie Robbins
      June 4, 2016, 3:53 pm

angel, sometimes solving a problem requires consistent effort. i think you are correct in assessing there are, currently in terms of human misery, catastrophic humanitarian disasters occurring on a given day that may be worse, and there will always be days like that. for example, when a tsunami occurs more humans may die on a given day than the 51 days of war on gaza. but when you have a long time festering problem, like the longest running refugee problem in the world and a specific people without rights (that we all take for granted) over generations, literally decades — it doesn’t make much sense if your goal is to solve that problem to drop everything every time another disaster occurs somewhere on the planet. that becomes just a recipe for shoving the problem down the road. which is why this has persisted for so long.

that’s not a very difficult idea to perceive. besides, we have governments that focus their power and resources on these other countries at the expense of solving the palestine/israel issue for many years now — it’s not as though those human disasters are being ignored.

our civil rights movement would never have happened had americans focused solely on the most radical human disasters happening in the 60’s (like the vietman war which many more people were dying). we were able to multitask wrt our activism.

we get it, you want us to ignore your pet project: zionism. not going to happen. with consistent pressure we will bring about change. it will be slow going sometimes, but we’ll get there. no sense ignoring palestine (ongoing nakba for 68 yrs) because of syria (crisis for 5 yrs), yemen, libya or wherever. there will always be other human disasters.

“look over there” she said!

• WH
        June 4, 2016, 4:24 pm

Good response Annie, better than the original post deserved.

• MHughes976
        June 4, 2016, 5:18 pm

I think that the overall situation in the ME is the worst thing in the world, at least of that aspect of the world that is under human control. It poisons everything because it is so intimately connected with our most important material commodity, oil, and even more because it is so intimately connected with our most important moral and spiritual influence, the Abrahamic religions. Within this situation, and very important in maintaining it, there is a falsehood, the most widely believed falsehood (quite unlike ‘Islamism’, which is generally opposed) in the Western world where I live, ie Zionism. So I think it very important, if you live in the West, to oppose Zionism, a political belief which is not only false but never stood a chance of being put into practice without extreme and daily cruelty, which the West abets.
        That the people involved in operating and benefiting from the Zionist system are often very happy and sometimes do things from which humanity in general benefits doesn’t make the falsehood less false. These matters – from the old blooming deserts to the super hi-tech startups of now – don’t even begin to moderate the basic falsity of Zionism, are not really relevant to it. Nor do they set limits to its cruelty.

• ritzl
        June 4, 2016, 6:12 pm

Well said, MHughes.

• Sweetling
        June 5, 2016, 3:15 pm

It’s also wrong for scientists and philanthropists to focus any attention on Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. It affects only 1 in 2,500 people in the U.S., while type 1 diabetes affects closer to 1 in 300, and even that pales in comparison to breast cancer, hitting 1 in 8 U.S. women over their lifetimes.

Any time I read about people raising money and awareness for people living with rare diseases, I get angry. What makes them think they deserve our attention?

Screw CMT sufferers. We have bigger fish to fry — although, on second thought, steamed or baked would be healthier.

• Annie Robbins
        June 5, 2016, 3:42 pm

sweetling, i can’t recall getting angry about people trying to end rare diseases. i recall being irked reading about a guy who left his entire inheritance (over a million) for canine cancer research in the name of his dog and writing his son out of the will. i thought that was weird, but then in the service of ending canine cancer research they might discover things about cancer in general they didn’t know. i also, i recall being offended during the iraq war when the spca was raising money (lots of it) to rescue dogs from iraq and find them nice homes. it was on the front page of their website. 6k per dog. i thought that was gross considering all the iraqi kids orphaned and living desperate lives because of our invasion/occupation.

• Kay24
        June 5, 2016, 4:20 pm

Annie you make good points. There are millions of refugees all over the world, and especially in the Middle East, the result of Israel’s violence, and our interference in other nations. We have caused so much of human suffering by our greed for oil, and world dominance. Between Afghanistan and Iraq there are millions of poor people who fled their homes, left their belongings and living in poverty, we should be so ashamed. We have been criticized for not doing much for the Syrian refugees, taking a small number and not working fast enough to save lives. Even Canada has done better than us. Assad the dictator is primarily to be blamed for this, but we, together with Israel and Saudi Arabia, made it worse for the Syrians. Our leaders love to wage unnecessary wars, and it is always the colored people who belong to another religion that pays.

• Kay24
        June 5, 2016, 4:26 pm

To your point, I also wanted to add was you never hear the same outrage, or the same media coverage, when suicide bombs go off in Iraq, killing hundreds of men, women, and children, as we did when the Paris bombings occurred. Both horrible, horrible tragedies, and the same loss of lives. Aren’t we selective in our sympathy?

• Annie Robbins
        June 5, 2016, 7:47 pm

kay, i recall when the attack in brussels happened and everyone all over the world responded and a day (or 2) later one happened in lahore, pakistan and know one hardly blinked an eye. awful and devastating.

• Sweetling
        June 5, 2016, 5:21 pm

As long as you understand, Annie, that I was having a bit of fun at Angel’s expense. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

• Annie Robbins
        June 5, 2016, 7:40 pm

wink!

• Kay24
        June 5, 2016, 9:49 pm

Annie, it also is the fault of the media, who hardly cover these mass killings in nations that are not deemed “western”, and also the attitude of the people. It is as if the lives of those who live in these unfortunate nations, do not count. This may be another reason why Palestinian lives are treated as cheap and of no consequence . ISIS has killed more Muslims men, women, and children, in brutal ways, and yet no one takes any notice of these murders in this part of the world, unlike the outrage we hear when it is close by.

• Vacy
        June 7, 2016, 11:16 pm

BAM!! Great shot Annie bringing down a zionist in angel clothing.

• Annie Robbins
        June 7, 2016, 11:30 pm

thanks vacy!

• Brewer
      June 4, 2016, 6:20 pm

Angel.
      It is that “bunch of other problems” that focus me on Palestine for, without Palestine, far fewer would exist – Iraq, Libya and Syria in particular – but let us examine your point of view.

In Israel, around 400 persons die in motor vehicle accidents annually, about 2 persons are killed by Palestinian rockets. By your reasoning, Israel should ignore rockets – yes?

Have a good life, if you can keep it. (No apologies if that seems to you to be smug, arrogant and condescending – it is.)

• ritzl
        June 4, 2016, 6:53 pm

Ouch!

• ToivoS
      June 4, 2016, 7:27 pm

Angel is right that there are worse tragedies going on in the ME than the simple daily oppression that Israel deals out to its Palestinian subjects. I can name four.

1) The chaos and civil war in Iraq. Now that began with the US invasion of Iraq in 2003 that was vigorously supported by Israel and its neocon backers in the US

2) The war in Syria. This was largely promoted by the US, the Saudis, Israel and Turkey. The forces in the US were, yet again Israeli aligned neocons and R2Pers.

3). The destruction of Libya. Again an enemy of Israel whose backers in the US pushed for that war (anyone remember Hillary’s role)’

4) The dismantlement of Sudan. Anyone paying attention will know that the South Sudan rebels were provided with arms by the Israelis going back to the late 80s as well as groups inside the US that have loyalty to Israel. All of this was going on during the Darfur rebellion that has US and Israeli fingerprints all over.

I was going to mention 5 and 6 in this list but Israeli fingerprints are not that clear in Yemen and Somalia. Of course, it is not necessary to mention the Yinon plan to readers of Mondoweis, but perhaps Angel has not heard of it.

In summary, Israel is the root of most of the violence in the ME today and this will not be resolved until Israel comes to a just settlement with their Palestinians living under Israeli occupation and in exile.

• ritzl
        June 4, 2016, 10:29 pm

Don’t forget the ongoing Congo genocide and Israel’s arms sales to Rwanda/Kagame.

• Pixel
        June 4, 2016, 11:33 pm

@TovioS @Ritzl

Critical points that need to be constantly emphasized and reemphasized.

• Annie Robbins
      June 4, 2016, 7:32 pm

Smug, arrogant, condescending, know-it-all, holier-than-thou, all and more apply to antiangel’s comment. To sum it up, the problem is that on a scale of 1 to 100 of all the problems the world is currently facing, she chooses to obsess to such a degree about protecting one criminal state that deserves no sympathy, while preferring to ignore the human misery, urgency, catastrophic humanitarian disasters caused by that state she protects as well as other disasters on that scale of 1 to 100 (many of which Israel is complicit e.g. Syria), etc. That’s the huge hypocrisy of her type (and the whole “Zionist” crowd): the only people worthy of her attention are the perpetrators of the longest running human rights violation on the planet. The rest? Well, who cares? She doesn’t have any time for them, sorry. Too busy obsessing about protecting Israel. Have a good life, antiangel, if you can keep it. –

;) i just had to post that

• eljay
      June 4, 2016, 7:53 pm

|| Angel @ June 4, 2016, 2:45 pm ||

Murderers exist, so it’s OK to rape.

No Zio-supremacist has ever said anything like that before! ;-)

• Rodneywatts
      June 5, 2016, 3:39 am

In reference to Angels thread regarding our hypocrisy, just listen to ‘ expert’ testimony given by one Mr Netanyahu to Congress in 2002

Quite clearly the current prime minister of Israel along with a majority of the population are a root cause of the very troubles in the ME that Angel et al would have us address. Who are the hypocrits now?

Thanks again Jonathan for your timely piece.

• Marnie
      June 5, 2016, 5:57 am

“That’s the huge hypocrisy of your type (and the whole “Human Rights” crowd): the only people worthy of your attention are the Palestinians. The rest? Well, who cares? You don’t have any time for them, sorry. Too busy obsessing about the Palestinians. Have a good life, people, if you can keep it. ”

Your post is positively drowning in self-pity and jealousy. Of whom? The Palestinians who have no army, no wealthy supporters who buy congresspeople, senators and heads of state to keep them on top of the heap. They can’t even get electricity 24/7 or drinking water that’s fit for human consumption. The zionists have them on a “diet”.

Could you explain how the existence of their israeli counterparts is so much worse?

You can’t, because it isn’t. I don’t wish that on anyone. I do want to see Palestinians have the same opportunities, rights and freedoms as the israelis who’ve stolen their land.

Have a good life Angel. Why do some of you folks do your damndest to make sure no one else can?

• CigarGod
      June 5, 2016, 11:02 am

Hasbara tactics.
      Insult
      Delegitimize
      Divert
      Run away while shouting your superiority over your shoulder.

Activist tactic
      Focus on one part that you are passionate about.
      Swat away the flies.

June 5, 2016, 11:22 am

“Angel”, don’t let these people bother you! You are trying to do the right thing, you just lack a few pointers.

Here you go:“How to make the case for Israel and win!”

You go over there and read that article, and then come back here and give these people what for!

• amigo
      June 5, 2016, 2:26 pm

So Angel , are you saying we should drop the concern for Palestinians , say for 5 to 10 years and when we return to check on Israel , there will be two states living side by side in peace and security for all concerned .Are you saying , I and all the other antisemites and Jew haters will be able to visit Palestine without having to get permission from the GOI and will be able to travel without let or hindrance .

Wow , how innovative .Hell , why didn,t we think of that.It,s positively brilliant.

Pull the other leg .

• Sulphurdunn
      June 5, 2016, 6:12 pm

Relative privation fallacy

• Misterioso
      June 6, 2016, 3:08 pm

Angel

Classic Hasbara, i.e., deflection. It doesn’t work.

Palestinians and other Arabs have been under the brutal boot of fascistic/racist/expansionist Israel for 68 years while due to ignorance of the conflict brought on by a predominantly pro-Israel biased media, most of the world looked the other way. Those days are over.

Thanks in large measure to the Internet, the truth is now easily available. Ever increasing numbers of people (including more and more enlightened, righteous Jews), especially all important youth, are waking up and realizing that for the good of us all, the horrors that Zionism has perpetrated against Palestine’s indigenous inhabitants and other Arabs must end. The handwriting is on the wall. Unfortunately, Israel and its supporters, such as you, refuse to read it. Time is running out for Israel.

4. Rodneywatts
    June 4, 2016, 2:49 pm

Thanks Jonathan for your succinct piece here. I like your summing up:

‘I think the problem is that the problem is diluted by those who would rather have it disappear than directly challenged. That’s not what I’m about. And there is absolutely no need to apologise for that.’

Quite right!! Next week I am being interviewed with a view to taking part in a debate with a Christian zionist who has a monthly slot on a Christian internet radio station. His program is called ‘Shalom’, but a better word would be ‘Hasbara’

5. MaxNarr
    June 4, 2016, 4:43 pm

• Annie Robbins
      June 4, 2016, 5:49 pm

we just expose, israel is destroying itself.

• Steve Grover
        June 4, 2016, 6:05 pm

They expose like a flasher in nothing but a rain coat.

• xanadou
        June 4, 2016, 7:15 pm

Touché, Annie.

June 5, 2016, 11:26 am

“They expose like a flasher in nothing but a rain coat.”

Cut Grover some slack. He skipped English classes, but he knew the hell out of his Halftorah. And an entire half Torah is a lot!
        And he never, ever forgot the smell of those MB leather seats.

• Misterioso
        June 6, 2016, 3:10 pm

Annie

BINGO!!!!

• Talkback
      June 4, 2016, 6:36 pm

I don’t think that Israel needs support in this categories. ROFL.

June 4, 2016, 6:51 pm

“MaxNarr doing “the Israel”

“MaxNarr” is a brilliant parody-Zionist! He still gets to me, before I remember he’s not real.

• Kay24
        June 4, 2016, 7:14 pm

True that. Israel is doing a “wonderful” job by itself.

• echinococcus
      June 4, 2016, 7:18 pm

That would be good, Narr.

That’s exactly how it must be. I have no idea if this is the stated aim.

You decided me: I’ll make a donation to MW this time instead of buying more of Alison Weir’s book.

• eljay
      June 4, 2016, 7:56 pm

|| MaxNarr: The answer is the only aim of this website is to weaken, demonize and destroy the Jewish state. ||

“Jewish State” is a religion-supremacist construct. No state has a right to exist as a supremacist state of any kind.

Anyway, you Zio-supremacists are doing a damned fine job all on your own of slowly destroying your supremacist “Jewish State” fantasy.

• Misterioso
      June 6, 2016, 3:14 pm

MaxNarr

What “Jewish state” are you referring to?

I remind you that the entity known as “Israel” has yet to officially declare its borders and have them formally recognized as such by the international community.

6. Talkback
    June 4, 2016, 4:44 pm

Meanwhile in real existing Israel the number of the “few idiots” who want to see Nonjews expelled is almost 50%. And the few idiots who support medics to murder wounded Nonjews is even more than 50%. More than 70% of the few idiots don’t see Palestine as occupied. Israel seems to have the fewest idiots on this planet.

7. ritzl
    June 4, 2016, 6:01 pm

“The problem is the problem.” (!!!)

Words to live by. Thanks.

8. lonely rico
    June 4, 2016, 6:56 pm

> Angel

… you choose to obsess to such a degree about one … preferring to ignore the many that are much higher in terms of human misery, urgency, catastrophic humanitarian disasters …

How to compare human tragedies, which – worse ? less ?

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Pinochet … came and went.
    The Palestinian suffering, on-going for 70+ years,
    according to a vicious plan, used to establish a racist state in Palestine.

Like Annie, I will not “look over there”.

• Dutch
      June 4, 2016, 8:55 pm

Don’t forget that for decades we were told, no ordered, that there was only one place on earth that mattered. Maybe Angel has missed that part.

He also seems to forget that we (Europeans and Americans) are responsible for this mess, right from the start. After 70 years the day has come to clean it up. You read that well, Angel: 70.

Plainly disappointing is the fact that Angel makes zero mention of his own efforts or initiatives to fights all these other injustices. No website on Syria or Iraq, …, nothing.

9. Pixel
    June 4, 2016, 11:28 pm

It doesn’t matter if a rabid dog has nice fur.

10. Talkback
    June 5, 2016, 6:03 am

“Why don’t you share all the good things about Israel?”

He did. But it only took him a couple of seconds when it came to the good things regarding Nonjews.

11. ahadhaadam
    June 5, 2016, 7:51 am

Israel is the last remnant of Western settler colonialism which is still openly and egregiously engaged in the dispossession of the natives of Palestine. It is a flashpoint between East and West and a constant source of conflict. Its crimes are anything but minor considering that both Apartheid and Ethnic Cleansing are considered Crimes Against Humanity. For as long as “Israel” (i.e. occupied Palestine) exists as a Jewish supremacist state, it will continue to be a source of misery for the Middle East, because of its great influence among Western Powers, which it uses to stir and prod for interventionism, anti-Arab incitement and generally speaking, to keep the the Middle East divided and weak.

Much like S. Africa under the rule of White supremacists was a source of conflict in the region , there is no reason to expect that a state ruled by Jewish supremacists will ever be peaceful. We should all work to abolish the Zionist supremacist apartheid regime and replace it with a Democratic one.

12. Kay24
    June 5, 2016, 7:51 am

This is not good news, it can be called provocation, arrogance, and meanness, nasty habits of Israelis. They can dish out, but cannot take it when those they provoke hit back.
    Occupying a people and stealing their lands can never be called good news, but they keep acting like sadists too.

Court Rejects Petition to Bar Jerusalem Day March From Muslim Quarter
    State, parade organizers agree to hold parade 15 minutes earlier, so marchers would leave Old City’s Muslim Quarter before Ramadan starts.
    read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.723176

13. amigo
    June 6, 2016, 8:57 am

Slightly OT but almost funny if it wasn,t so hypocritical.

From Mario Cuomo

““New York stands in solidarity with Israel today and always. This state will not stand for the politics of discrimination in any form, and we will continue to demonstrate our unwavering support for the people of Israel in the fight for freedom, liberty and democracy,” said Cuomo. “I’m proud to sign this nation’s leading executive order, which will help protect Israel from the threat of divestment.”
    read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.723240

If Israel is in a fight for democracy then they are going then wrong way about it.As to freedom , what about the liberty and freedom of Palestinians.These people are verifiably insane.

• Kay24
      June 6, 2016, 9:16 am

The liberty and freedom of Palestinians do not matter for these politicians with ambitions. It is absolutely hypocritical to be spewing zionist propaganda about BDS being anti-semitic or discriminating, while defending an occupier who DISCRIMINATES those they are occupying and stealing from. It is unbelievable that these cheap politicians talk like the Palestinians (the true victims) do not matter when protecting an aggressor.

• eljay
      June 6, 2016, 9:19 am

… ““New York stands in solidarity with Israel today and always. This state will not stand for the politics of discrimination in any form and we will continue to demonstrate our unwavering support for the people of Israel in the fight for freedom, liberty and democracy,” said Cuomo. …

New York stands in solidarity with the rapist today and always. This state will not stand for criminal activity in any form and we will continue to demonstrate our unwavering support for the rapist in the fight for freedom, safety and justice.

In addition to being hateful and immoral hypocrites, Zio-supremacists are a truly bad joke.

14. Paul Larudee
    June 6, 2016, 9:29 pm

I would venture to say that pretty much everything that is good about Israel has nothing to do with its being Israel. They would be just as good if the place ceased to be Israel.

15. rosross
    June 6, 2016, 11:09 pm

It is called ignoring the elephant in the room. Similar views were expressed in apartheid South Africa and no doubt in Nazi Germany and were not considered relevant, given the enormous gravity of the injustice and horrors the State was perpetrating so why should Israel be let off the hook?

16. Elizabeth Block
    June 7, 2016, 10:15 am

Zionists keep telling me that Israeli Jews want peace. Well, if that is true, why does no Israeli politician who is willing to do what is needed to make peace have a ghost of a chance of being elected?
    And why do the Israelis keep doing things (building more settlements, stealing more land, stealing more water, etc.) that make peace less and less of a possibility?
    Pay attention to what they do, not what they say.

17. mcohen.
    June 8, 2016, 10:40 pm

e block……..wise words

“Pay attention to what they do, not what they say.”