Geraldo Rivera regrets not backing Palestinians in Second Intifada

US Politics

Another datapoint in the discourse’s march to the left. On Fox News, Geraldo Rivera says that the Israel Palestine conflict is the “original sin” of the United States, from which “a lot of our problems stem”. And his big regret is that he did not back the oppressed Palestinians during the Second Intifada.

Rivera, who was raised Jewish, appeared on the Fox show, The Five, on March 30, to promote a new book; and host Greg Gutfeld asked, “Did you ever regret a story that you did?”

Rivera responded:

That’s an excellent excellent question. Let me tell you what I regret. I regret in 2002 backing down from backing the Palestinians in their conflict with Israel, the Second Intifada. Because I saw with my own eyes how, and I know this is going to resonate very poorly with the people watching right now– but still, I have to tell you how I feel. I saw at firsthand how those people were– and now you just had 14, 15 people killed in Gaza. Palestinians killed by the IDF forces. I saw what an awful life they live under constant occupation and oppression, and people keep saying, “Oh, they are terrorists, or they are this or they are that.”

They are an occupied people and I regret chickening out after 2002 and not staying on that story and adding my voice as a Jew, adding my voice to those counseling a two-state solution. It’s so easy to put them out of sight, out of mind, and let them rot, and be killed, and keep this thing festering. And I think a lot of our current problems stem from – that’s almost our original sin, Palestine and Israel. I want a two-state solution. I want President Trump to re-energize the peace process.

Minute 27 below.

1. Citizen
    April 3, 2018, 12:07 pm

Nobody expected that, eh? America’s “original sin.” Not speaking up for the Palestinians, speaking as a Jew” ? I wish Gutfeld or another panel member, would have asked, “What precisely?” Lavishly funding Israel with 0 strings attached relative to Israel’s accountability for all that free cash? Lamely, Geraldo adds he wishes our governing regime start up the two-state solution peace process (again). I also noted he said he knew the Fox News audience would not like what he had to say. Well, he threw it out there, which was brave, all things considered. After a half century career, and reaching the status of being part of US pop culture, I guess he can afford to take the risk, eh?

2. Citizen
    April 3, 2018, 12:13 pm

Did he mean by “America’s original sin” the miserable life Palestinians lead under the occupation?

• festus
      April 3, 2018, 1:47 pm

Very glad to see Geraldo come out and say this but America’s twin original sins are the genocide of the American Indian and the enslavement of Africcans

• LHunter
        April 4, 2018, 8:51 am

Exactly. There are so many sins but the Original sin is the enormous brutal devastation that, once again, European invaders exacted on all the indigenous peoples of America. Geraldo must have been high to suggest anything else.

I guess brave moral Geraldo was more than well aware of how wrong his career could have went, and quickly, had he publicly spoke up against the Gaza massacre in 2002 – he chose well to chase mansions and nice rides – no downside for him.- and in keeping with the immorality of all Zionists

3. eljay
    April 3, 2018, 12:22 pm

Geraldo says:

… Erica and I are also great lovers of Israel, and Zionists to the core. …

But what I wish every Jewish visitor to Israel could do is spend one night with a Palestinian family, as I have done many times over the years. You can’t imagine how devastating it is to them to be second-class citizens in the land they claim a part of as their own, and for them to watch helplessly as the Israeli settlements continue to expand into the Palestinian territories, as they yearn for a nation and a passport of their own.

I believe that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is right to demand that Israel be recognized as the Jewish State of Israel or as the Homeland of the Jewish people. …

He’s a hateful and immoral Zionist…but in a “kinder, gentler” way.

• Citizen
      April 3, 2018, 4:00 pm

Dear Geraldo, if the Palestinians recognize Israel as the Jewish state of Israel, they thereby give up any claim to what was once their own homeland for generations. If you were half Palestinian, like you are half Jewish, would you do that?

• JLewisDickerson
      April 3, 2018, 7:36 pm

RE: He’s a hateful and immoral Zionist…but in a “kinder, gentler” way.

MY REPLY: Perhaps so, but remember what they say about the proverbial “gift horse“.

4. Kay24
    April 3, 2018, 9:18 pm

So was Geraldo pandering more to the zionist media masters, or was he too dense to realize that the Palestinians have been suffering, losing their lands, having their homes demolished, children kidnapped, youth killed, and blockaded, and that the brutal zionists were simply pretending that they were the victims? There are so many others of his ilk in the media.

5. Susan Abulhawa
    April 4, 2018, 12:30 pm

boy, they sure did change the subject after that admission. you can see how afraid they are of such opinions both by the stunned silence and then lack of follow up questions.

6. genesto
    April 4, 2018, 6:59 pm

Looks like Geraldo is trying to free his conscience, something a number of hard ore Zionists tend to do once they are retired and immune from damaging attacks on their careers by the Zionist pitbulls. He actually lost me long ago before I knew he was a Zionist when he hyped up ‘discovering’ the location of Al Capone’s secret vault, only to reveal an empty pit!

• CigarGod
      April 5, 2018, 11:05 am

Yep, where was the plan B?
      A dusty treasure map “found” on the floor, a disembodied Italian voice coming from the darkness that sent the crew running, a single bloody Tommy gun slug?