- ‘Forward’ piece on destruction of Palestinian neighborhood fronting Western Wall … 7
- Israel cracks down on American travel to West Bank by … 2
- Bradley Manning rally to feature, Ellsberg, Ann Wright, Dan Choi, … 0
- Another ‘NYT’ piece buys Israel’s al-Dura report– which PA spox … 1
- Jewish philanthropies stay away from org dedicated to Yiddish culture … 10
- Reporters Without Borders on the Israeli al-Dura investigation: ‘the nature … 2
- Obama’s secret wars in Muslim world make Americans vulnerable 2
- ‘Al Jazeera’ reposts Massad piece, after censoring it 0
- Israeli airport sorts passengers with ‘Jewish stickers’ and ‘Arab stickers’ 2240
- Washington state bus-ad campaign dares to state: ‘Equal rights for … 1716
- Two friends meet for 5 minutes in Jerusalem 1698
- ‘Newseum’ folds under pressure, will not include Gaza cameramen in … 1368
- Palestinian-American Raed Zidan plants flag on top of Everest, dedicates … 1358
- Christians denounce Israel’s manhandling of worshipers at Holy Sepulcher on … 952
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 809
- In photos: Gaza marches and rallies mark 65 years of … 442
- International Criminal Court opens preliminary investigation into attack on Mavi … 96
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 89
- Abulhawa declines to ‘balance out’ several Israelis in ‘Al Jazeera’ … 86
- Kennedy’s insistence on right of return prompted Ben-Gurion to rewrite … 75
- Washington Post’s racism map omits Israel 73
- Israeli airport sorts passengers with ‘Jewish stickers’ and ‘Arab stickers’ 69
- Uncompromising hope inspired by Ghassan Kanafani 63
- ‘Newseum’ folds under pressure, will not include Gaza cameramen in … 62
- RT @drones: Attorney General Eric Holder: We've drone four Americans, three by accident. Oops. http://t.co/R5NrBGPJfQ, 6 hours ago
- RT @grassfed: MT“@BPFF_Festival: #Palestinian film "Omar" by Hany Abu-Assad, receives 5 min standing O at #Cannes: http://t.co/xvCDQDwuDP” …, 10 hours ago
- ‘Forward’piece on destruction of Palestinian neighborhood fronting Western Wall not embraced by all ‘Forward’ readers http://t.co/a8nvXYynM6, 11 hours ago
- Israel cracks down on American travel to West Bank by requiring tourists to obtain military permit http://t.co/vNUagVufkS, 11 hours ago
- Bradley Manning rally to feature, Ellsberg, Ann Wright, Dan Choi, Sarah Shourd http://t.co/C1C7G1DXJ6, 11 hours ago
click link to see last 100 comments
- Mohammed Assaf, singing sensation out of Gaza refugee camp, torches Arab Idol competition (20)
- Annie Robbins: thank you Enass, that is what i suspected. and thanks very much for your translation upthread too....
- ‘Forward’ piece on destruction of Palestinian neighborhood fronting Western Wall is not embraced by all ‘Forward’ readers (7)
- thankgodimatheist: Nasty comments on a great article. Vicious, cruel. Total indifference to any but Jewish...
- DICKERSON3870: RE: “Here you will find a fabulous piece of reporting by the Forward’s Ben Lynfield on...
- kayq: The Temple Mount was nothing but a garbage dump for 700 years until ‘Umar ibn Al Khattab (RA) conquered...
- Jewish philanthropies stay away from org dedicated to Yiddish culture because it doesn’t focus on Israel or the Holocaust (10)
- Israel cracks down on American travel to West Bank by requiring tourists to obtain military permit (2)
- a blah chick: “They’re killing something that would be to their great benefit because why? They can’t help...
- Biden says Jewish ‘influence’ behind American cultural politics is ‘immense… immense’ (23)
- RoHa: “Jewish influence on science and culture is staggering…” What is it that makes it Jewish?
- RoHa: Hold on! “…or stereotypical allegations about Jews as such or the power of Jews as a...
- Don: Half Jews? Half Jews? My goodness, Biorabbi, do you mean… A Mischling of the first degree, or half-Jew,...
- Mohammed Assaf, singing sensation out of Gaza refugee camp, torches Arab Idol competition (20)
- Philip Weiss
- Marc H. Ellis
- Annie Robbins
- Alex Kane
- Adam Horowitz
- Today in Palestine
- Allison Deger
Author Archives: Marc H. Ellis
“The Inheritance of Abraham” seeks high theological ground but perhaps it would have been better to simply start out: “My name is the Church of Scotland. I have been drunk on Israel for my own selfish reasons. I would like to share my story. I know it’s a day by day thing. I get sober, then I’m not….”
My father, Herbert Moore Ellis, died yesterday. There is darkness in my mind. There is also light. My father’s memory lives on.
Al Jazeera pulled Joseph Massad’s article – “The Last of the Anti-Semites” – from their website yesterday. Massad’s article is disappearing. Like disappearing Palestine, it will reappear. Neither are going away.
Is there any other identity analyzed from inside and out as much as Jewish identity? The Jewish Identity Network (JIN) is like 24/7 cable news. It never shuts down. Marc Ellis, at Mondo
When an individual can’t locate her resistance somewhere beyond her individuality, she needs to broaden her search. Without a rooted identity, there is no resistance. So sayeth Marc Ellis. At Mondoweiss.net
Joseph Massad’s contribution to the 65th anniversary of the Nakba, published on Al Jazeera’s website, is called “The Last of the Semites.” The subtitle is telling: “It is Israel’s claims that it represents and speaks for all Jews that are the most anti-Semitic claims of all.”
Exile and the Prophetic: While the Church of Scotland dallies, the United Church of Canada forges ahead
While the Church of Scotland dallies, the United Church of Canada forges ahead. Even with the pressures, setbacks, go-aheads, one step forward, two steps back, the proverbial handwriting is on the Interfaith (In)Justice Wall(s). Stick a fork in it. The interfaith ecumenical deal which demands Christian silence on Israel because of the Holocaust and anti-Semitism is dead.
Have you noticed that over the years, the celebration of Israel by Jews around the world which uses its own narrative of suffering, struggle and independence has diminished precipitously? Like it fell off a cliff.
BDS movement has presented a “radical credentials challenge” to everyone on the left — Marc Ellis
When Peter Beinart says, “I love Israel,” he sets himself up: He’ll either have to go all-in for the Jewish state in the ongoing ideological conflict, or leave the field
Remembering Otto Maduro, Venezuelan theologian active in liberation theology
Jews used to be known for challenging the codes of the powerful. Not in the era of the Jewish establishment
At the Middle East Policy Council event, Siegman declared that the Middle East peace process is “probably the greatest scam in modern diplomatic history, and future historians are going to be absolutely in awe in how that was pulled off.” For Siegman, this isn’t a recent development.
Leaving Palestine behind is a strategic choice to keep the lid on Israel’s history vis-à-vis Palestinians and the dubious part Middle Eastern states have played in their history as well.
I have argued for years that Israel’s only route for integration into the Middle East is through Palestinians. Without a just resolution of the Palestinian issue, Israel will forever be isolated, turning to the West for support and living in its “dangerous neighborhood” as a militarized pariah. Contra my argument, what if Israel’s way into the Middle East is through its military dominance and becoming a significant cooperative player in the “stabilization” of the Middle East – without a real Palestinian state?
I love it when American pundits talk about American intervention just shy of American boots on the ground – as if everyone else’s suffering is unimportant in comparison.
As Israel strikes Syria from the air, Prime Minister Netanyahu is affirming that discussions about the Arab League’s proposal aren’t about so much about land swaps. The recognition of Israel as a Jewish state is more important. Of course, it helps that Israel already has a solid lock on the land it wants. Now it’s time to wrap up the Jewish state idea.
The Church of Scotland declares settlements illegal and calls for int’l pressure to end the occupation
Marc Ellis writes: The debris of history keeps piling up – this was Walter Benjamin’s understanding of history. What is our view of the long range.
If we place our faith in Google Universe, we’re in for a big surprise.
John Kerry says the US is taking “more steps” for peace in the Mid East. But decades of “more steps” have only led us backwards. Israel continues to expand. Palestine continues to shrink.
Doesn’t the land-swap business in the Middle East strike you as political corruption in the international market place? The Arab League presented its amended “Land Swaps for Israeli-Palestinian Peace” plan yesterday and presented it to the US administration in Washington D.C. Secretary of State John Kerry heralded their plan as a “big step” toward peace in the Middle East. Swapping land in Israel/Palestine, where Israeli settlements stay in place and Palestinians receive land Israel doesn’t want, is a scam.
To be a Jew without borders – the poet, Adrienne Rich’s desire – and without state violence – the philosopher, Judith Butler’s desire – is the ideal. But since we have borders and state violence; since we benefit from both; since we can’t build a future worth bequeathing to our children unless we dismantle both; since we won’t be able to dismantle either in our lifetime or beyond, we are left with our haunting present. What is to be done?
Psychologist/novelist Noam Shpancer seems to be hiding the Israeli origins of his material in his acclaimed debut novel, The Good Psychologist
Why did Noam Shpancer leave Israel for Columbus, Ohio, and do lessons about Israeli militarism play any part in his meditations on collective trauma?
Why should double amputee from Boston marathon bombing have her hat in hand to get support for her injuries? And meantime we think all we owe her is “remembrance-speak”