- Northeastern University SJP chapter suspended as members are subjected to … 2
- Six Palestinians killed in 24 hours by Israeli forces 7
- J Street cheerleading for Kerry features Congressman warning Palestinians will … 5
- Zirin challenges sportswriters to report Israeli violence against Palestinian soccer … 24
- Michael Ratner’s journey away from Zionism 25
- Israel is now attempting to ‘de-Arabize’ Palestinian Christians, but in … 29
- ‘This wall will fall’ (the writing on the wall, at … 7
- US Homeland Security investigates Israeli arms deal to Iran 29
- ‘Daily Beast’ labels Abbas ‘stubborn’ for refusing to recognize Israel … 0
- Thousands denied water in Jerusalem as California Gov signs energy … 0
- A model factory for a colonialism in trouble: the SodaStream … 0
- 2013 was record year in new settlement construction, and 2014 … 0
- On John Judis’s ‘Genesis,’ and its critics 0
- Conservatives for Palestine 0
- Robert Caro, Nakba-denier 0
- ‘Apartheid on the Hill’: Students transform Tufts campus to highlight … 0
- AIPAC reaches out to Christians with morphing Star of David 149
- ‘Daily Beast’ labels Abbas ‘stubborn’ for refusing to recognize Israel … 141
- Anti-anti-semitism: How did a movement against bigotry lend itself to … 119
- ‘Netanyahu is a Nazi’: Scenes from an Orthodox anti-military draft … 114
- Robert Caro, Nakba-denier 93
- Obama warns Israel about delegitimization, and Oren suggests annexation 93
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department ‘midwives’ democracy 92
- Pelosi calls Israel’s creation ‘the most spectacular political achievement of … 91
- The Latest from Mondoweiss for 03/12/2014 - http://t.co/a0R9du5SH0, 2 mins ago
- Six Palestinians killed in 24 hours by Israeli forces http://t.co/1Pd5ziFxW9, 10 hours ago
- RT @alexbkane: "How do we oppose a demand for one person, one vote?” Congressman Jerry Nadler summarizes the liberal Zionist quandry http://t.co/QtIemdtXzU, 11 hours ago
- RT @CornellSJP: Protect free speech on campus! http://t.co/RvdWb9G5UR @WRFIRadioNews @SJPNational, 11 hours ago
- J Street cheerleading for Kerry features Congressman warning Palestinians will demand the vote if two states fails http://t.co/LdipMdfzNR, 13 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Northeastern University SJP chapter suspended as members are subjected to police interrogation (2)
- Israel is now attempting to ‘de-Arabize’ Palestinian Christians, but in the 1950s it was Jews from the Middle East (29)
- talknic: And of course the notion that Israel has only 20% Arabs is a blatant falsehood. By 1950 the population of...
- Walid: “I am an independent person and a Zionist from my own free choice.” Spoken like other Iraqis that...
- Walid: “… the exilarch was greeted by the Muslims in Baghdad with the cry: “make way for our lord, the...
- Grindr in Hebron: A dispatch from the last debate (87)
- just: I guess you did not read the article. “I have not been able secure permission from the event’s planners...
- J Street cheerleading for Kerry features Congressman warning Palestinians will demand the vote if two states fails (5)
- Six Palestinians killed in 24 hours by Israeli forces (7)
Author Archives: Marc H. Ellis
Why doesn’t Netanyahu doesn’t break from his right wing pack and accept Mahmoud Abbas’s offer for an American-led NATO occupation of Palestine? He would take almost all of Palestine while leaving a cheap and subservient labor pool of millions of Palestinians for Israeli and Palestinian kingpins. Call it the SodaStream solution.
John Kerry seems to be talking about an “internationally funded ghettoized entity” for Palestine, says Marc Ellis
Progressive Jews have been arguing for a demilitarized Palestinian state for decades. It’s a staple of progressive Jewish discourse. I, for one, am not climbing on the demilitarized state bandwagon. It is a disingenuous act. It means you are giving away the right of Palestinians to be free.
Before she quit Oxfam, I’m sure Johansson thought about the issue deeply – with her publicist. No doubt Oxfam did as well – with its publicists. –Marc Ellis is cynical about the relationship between the celebrity and her (former) cause.
Not a word on tyranny in Egypt, and barely a line about Syria’s descent into extremism, as Obama champions the U.S. role in the world.
The charade is empowering – for the powerful. The charade is a disaster – for the suffering.
Democracy wears military fatigue, not just in Egypt, but in the US and Israel. Can’t Jews understand that they were wrong about the “liberation” of 1948?
Is Kerry pursuing regime change in Syria or is he posturing for the world community? Kerry should get off his anti-Iran soapbox and get on with helping to end the suffering of the Syrian people.
News reports say that John Kerry has the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia signed up to provide housing for Palestinian refugees in foreign countries
The New York Times promotes Israel’s “bad neighborhood” reason for never making peace with Palestinians. But the castle and the ghetto have always failed Jews
Trivializing Nazi and the Holocaust. Ethnically cleansing a people to create a state, placing permanent settlements to expand the state and then building a wall around the remaining occupied population – that’s the ultimate trivialization of Jewish suffering.
Call and response from the altar: a litany of Israel’s human rights violations. Never again, we say. Yet there is no ending, even after Sharon
Ariel Sharon’s Lebanon adventure in 1982 precipitated the isolation of Israel in the international community, as well as a civil war within the Jewish community over Israel that continues to divide Jews today. That war was an instigator for the new Israeli historians and their subversive narrative of Israel’s origins which is now accepted around the world. In the long run, Sharon diminished support for a Jewish state even among mainstream Jews. That support will never be recovered.
At Sharon’s funeral today, not a word was heard about how progressive Jews loathed Sharon, and how he did not belong in “our” dream of a Jewish state. Israel has conquered Palestine– that is what Sharon left behind. And he left Jews the debris of a religion and a culture that once wrestled with the ethical.
Miko Peled on Sharon: He possessed an insatiable appetite for power, glory and fortune. His tendencies as a cold-blooded, merciless killer were evident from early on in his career. Says Marc Ellis: Simply put, Sharon was a thug.
Israeli soldiers are the Jewish boots on the ground. But the larger question is often deflected. Who sent them on their mission? What is the American Jewish community’s responsibility for Israel’s wars and occupation? Marc Ellis asks at Mondo.
The question before BDS is whether there is an occupation tipping point. If so, Israel would have to admit defeat and withdraw at least to all the places it now controls. That is, Israel will get everything it has but will be unable to get everything it wants. Whether BDS can get what Palestinians need is debatable.
Not long ago, Jews were seen as infiltrators. Jews were the prototypical fifth column, Marc Ellis writes at Mondo. Now it’s critics of Israel who are infiltrating
The Dormition Abbey is enabling the occupation so long as the abbot there fails to rail against the occupation with the Israelis who are attending midnight mass
oday mainstream Christian denominational support is for various forms of BDS. This shift has to do with the unintended consequences of Israel’s military success. Large parts of the Christian world have undergone a de-colonial shift precisely at the time that Israel has become a major colonial power.
If John Kerry’s latest reported proposal to truncate Palestinian freedom doesn’t cause the Palestinian Authority negotiators to walk, well not even Jesus can save them, the man Mahmoud Abbas has called “a Palestinian messenger”
Check out this London church’s “Bethlehem Unwrapped” happening. They built a real Wall – in the middle of London – with a series of events to boot. Quite an undertaking. Talk about going on record.
I just couldn’t resist, after my own Jewish Christmas message, another unexpected Christian message – from Edward Snowden no less.
But if politics is the place for (un)thinking salvation, this means our journey is ongoing. Signing away Palestine isn’t the place to begin. Rather the opposite. On Christmas let us begin again. Reverse the process of fragmentation and division and began to think how Jerusalem and the rest of Israel/Palestine can be shared.
It’s the Sunday before Christmas. Pope Francis has already delivered his Christian message to the world. Some have described his message as a “tongue lashing.” He wants to get the church’s house in order. Rather than Christmas cheer, I wish him the best of luck. I have a Christian message as well, or rather some random thoughts about the season that drives me – and some Christians I know – bonkers.