- Watch: 9 Jewish activists arrested after occupying Friends of the … 8
- You are not Alone: To Palestinians on July 20, 2014 9
- Mr. Modi– do not court apartheid Israel in my name 8
- Arab reporters come under attack from Israelis 74
- ‘Telegenically Dead’: Israel’s crumbling media war 38
- US Jews occupy Israeli army support office in NY in … 21
- Gaza onslaught is p.r. problem for Israel’s ‘moral authority’ — … 21
- Naomi Wolf walked out of synagogue when they had nothing … 41
- Video: Outraged constituents confront CT Senator Chris Murphy over support … 0
- Arrests without charge of American beating victim’s relatives in Jerusalem … 0
- Nicholas Kristof on how to end the Israel/Palestine conflict 0
- On the defensive, Barney Frank accuses Clemons and Kornacki of … 0
- Mr. Obama, spend one night with us in Shifa hospital, … 0
- The heart of the problem with Israel: The mass expulsion … 0
- Gaza City resident Amal Sarsour: ‘There is no place to … 0
- Israel warns media they are at risk of ‘injury or … 0
- Massacre in Gaza: At least 60 killed in Shuja’iyeh, over … 363
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 229
- ‘We are moving from Iron Dome to an iron fist’: … 216
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 214
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza … 193
- Understanding Hamas 160
- Israel is in a pickle 138
- The trojan horse of liberal Zionism 105
- RT @deep_beige: If you've got a killer joke always keep it circulating or it may get lost amid the tweets about victims of airstrikes http://t.co/UoslWYsild, 23 mins ago
- RT @YousefMunayyer: FAA decision forcing change in Israeli narrative. Yesterday it was "we are under siege" today its "hey come back its totally safe here", 26 mins ago
- RT @Belalmd12: After @caseysjournal tweets this bullshit, IDF retweets and Ofir quotes him. I hold him responsible for my safety. http://t.co/TRZCaVcImj, 2 hours ago
- RT @markperrydc: Air raid sirens in Tel Aviv yesterday forced IDF soldiers and civilians into the same shelters, so civilians were human shields, no?, 3 hours ago
- RT @RobertMackey: Palestinian Family Finds Missing Son in YouTube Video of His Shooting http://t.co/lAHf8jWh5b cites @ISMPalestine @m_alqattawi @jncatron, 3 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza beach (120)
- Kay24: Yes seafoid, no investigations needed for that either. Strange when their criminals do something evil, there...
- Kay24: BBC is breaking News reporting that Israel has announced a comprehensive cease fire from tomorrow (Friday)...
- Inanna: Thanks for the link Denis. I’ll provide a quick translation but nothing will really translate the...
- The trojan horse of liberal Zionism (90)
- MHughes976: Just to revert to the question of the Trojan Horse. The Troy in question might be left-wing opinion in...
- seafoid: Beinart on why liberal Zionsim is no different to the regular version http://www.haaretz.com/opin...
- Mich Levy: The metaphor of the Trojan horse does not imply that there is a Zionist HQ that deploys the Zionist left;...
- Hamas has agreed to a ceasefire, says senior Palestinian official (Updated) (50)
- Walid: More elaboration by Jonathan Cook on the “Egyptian” cease-fire scam involving strings pulling by...
- Following missile attack last Saturday, al-Wafa Hospital receives warnings of new round of bombings (14)
- Joe Catron: “Do you think that missile attacks on Israeli cities and towns are war crimes?” As far as I...
- Report: Hamas offers Israel 10 conditions for a 10 year truce (79)
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza beach (120)
Author Archives: Philip Weiss
“As a father,” both Barack Obama and John Kerry state, in expressing condolence over murders of Israeli teens. “As a mother,” says Susan Rice. Here is a Mondo wrapup of statements of sympathy and outrage by American political figures and Jewish groups. Some sought to score political points.
NYT coverage of Israeli teens murders repeatedly blames Hamas for the killings, when a rogue splinter group is thought to be responsible. The Times carries water for the Israeli government and leaves Hamas’s denial of responsibility till the 9th paragraph, in passing
Jodi Rudoren steps out of her comfort zone, and good for her, to portray a Palestinian mother of a boy killed by Israeli soldiers. But her article will leave readers thinking, Why can’t Palestinians and Israelis just get along? It all-but-ignores the occupation, and restrictions on Palestinian freedom.
The neoconservatives are on the run. The latest upheaval in Iraq has further discredited them for destabilizing the country in the first place; and they are being called out in the mainstream media. But the neoconservatives’ partners in crime have gone largely blameless: American liberal interventionists and the Israeli right. When will they come in for criticism? Until they do, it seems that the neoconservative agenda is alive and well.
Dexter Filkins, Richard Engel and Brooke Gladstone all see the secret Sykes Picot agreement of 1916 as fueling religious extremism in the Middle East today. When will they turn to the role of the Balfour Declaration of 1917, another construction of the imperial west that ignored self-determination
The surprises will end in the World Cup as of today, predicts Mondo soccer non-expert Phil Weiss. Brazil will get past Chile and France to go to the Finals. And the Netherlands is too strong for Mexico, Argentina and the U.S. But a politically-correct bracket sees Chile, Mexico, and Algeria advancing. And guess who wins between Algeria and France?
‘I was a Zionist till 2008. Can you believe it? I hate myself’ Tzvia Thier, who helped organize a demonstration against Israel’s “rampage” through the West Bank, explains how Zionism indoctrinates even leftwing Jews like herself. Jews must meet Palestinians, to understand how wrong their beliefs are.
“Big change is down the line,” writes Jonathan Katz, a young Jew deeply involved with the American Jewish community: The facts on the ground say that Israel cannot undo the settlement project, and a binational state is an inevitability. Let’s prepare ourselves, because nationalism is nothing to be supportive of.
Reform Jewish leader Eric Yoffie calls Jewish Voice for Peace a radical group for supporting divestment. JVP says Reforms have offered no idea how to end the occupation
Halting and almost tearful, Gary Oldman apologizes to his fan base on Jimmy Kimmel Live for saying that Jews run Hollywood, hours after the ADL suggested he do so. The farcical drama has made even the Washington Post raise an eyebrow over what’s really going on here.
Rabbi Shmuley Boteach dismisses the “rotting corpse of the Presbyterian Church” following the vote for divestment– language that if a Christian used about Jews would draw attacks of anti-Semitism– and howler alert, says that 60,000 Americans have been “murdered” by Palestinians in Israel.
Presbyterians anticipated accusations of anti-Semitism. Jane Eisner of the Forward now says that the divestment measure will “hurt Jews.” But many Jews supported the measure. And Eisner’s argument that things are not so bad in Palestine rings hollow.
Gary Oldman says Jews ‘run’ Hollywood in a Playboy interview then apologizes in full-on theatrical mode: “The Jewish People, persecuted thorough the ages, are the first to hear God’s voice, and surely are the chosen people.”
Dorothy Zellner was a staffer for SNCC in Mississippi and is now active in Palestinian solidarity. “We are winning, we have turned the corner,” she says. No one predicted that the civil rights movement would explode following the sit-ins of 1960, transforming the country, Zellner explains; many actions had taken place before then to make that possible. The lesson? Struggle is everything.
The New York Times coverage of the Presbyterians’ divestment decision noted Jewish support for it. The Washington Post leaves that out in suggesting the vote was aimed at the Jewish community. And the Israeli Embassy suggests the Presbyterians support terrorism.
The US already gets too much, it dominates the world in culture and finance, and soccer isn’t even a major sport here. A few reasons why Phil Weiss pulls against the US in the World Cup, and for Ghana, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Costa Rica, and Iran
Nearly 30 years after it divested from corporations complicit in South African apartheid, the Presbyterian Church voted 310-303 to divest from three corporations involved with the Israeli military and its occupation. The historic vote came after an hours-long debate that was spirited and wide-ranging.
Israel has offered no proof that the three missing teens were abducted, even as the government uses the case to rampage across the West Bank cracking down on Hamas and killing two Palestinians
The south Jerusalem village of Battir is targeted by Israel for construction of the separation wall. It is renowned for its agricultural terraces, ancient olive trees, and springs. Today the World Heritage Committee of UNESCO, meeting in Qatar, voted to declare the village a world heritage site in danger.
After ADL says opera is ‘biased’ toward Palestinians, Met cancels broadcast, citing rising anti-Semitism
More evidence of the Jewish community committing intellectual suicide. The Metropolitan Opera has cancelled a broadcast of the 1991 opera The Death of Klinghoffer because the ADL says it is biased toward Palestinian terrorists and will stoke rising global anti-Semitism
In another breakthrough in mainstream discourse of the conflict, Max Fisher at Vox says that indefensible and “illegal” Israeli occupation put the settler teens who were abducted on the front lines. And p.s., he doesn’t use the words two-state solution in this report
You could not be having the sweep of marriage equality across our country if nobody changed their mind, Hillary Clinton says, congratulating the activists who were “out front.” The same dynamic now applies to the issue of Palestinian human rights
Bill Kristol calls for the United States to reinvade Iraq to stabilize the country and keep Iran out of the picture. But John Kerry and Lindsey Graham are for working with Iran to quell the crisis
NYT grants a platform to Bill Kristol and Rob’t Kagan, who pushed the Iraq war. Why no profiles of John Mearsheimer and Juan Cole? They were right.
Presbyterians meet this week in Detroit. Archbishop Desmond Tutu calls on them to divest from 3 companies in Israeli occupation. Apartheid will lead to tragedy for both peoples there, he says, and only economic pressure will force the stronger party to abandon the policy