National summit to re-assess the special relationship — Friday in D.C.

Raimondo

Raimondo

Just when Washington is calming down from the AIPAC circus, on Friday critics of the Israel lobby will be holding a national summit to re-assess the special relationship between Israel and the U.S. at the National Press Club.

It’s an all-day affair, and among the speakers are Janet McMahon; Karen Kwiatkowski; Mark Perry; Stephen Walt; Grant Smith; Michael Scheuer; Cynthia McKinney; Justin Raimondo; Paul Pillar; Scott McConnell; Ray McGovern; Allan Brownfeld; Jeff Blankfort; and Geoffrey Wawro…

It’s quite a lineup of writers and thinkers who have been unsparing critics of the lobby’s influence over US policymaking. And I’ll be on a panel myself, talking about the media, how it’s changing and why.

I know that some in the Palestinian solidarity camp aren’t enthused about this gathering, regard it as American nationalist; for my part, this is how I came to the issue. Folks like Raimondo, Walt and McConnell forced me to look at Israel/Palestine from an antiwar national-interest perspective. That’s still an important part of my perspective; as Pete Seeger told HUAC, “I love my country very deeply.” Though I wish there were Palestinians on these panels, I am sure that human rights will be an important theme.

It’s going to be a fascinating day. And Washington should be hungry for us after the locusts of AIPAC have carried off so many congresspeople. Let’s see how much press we get. I will be sure to report on the event myself.

philweiss

1. CitizenC
    CitizenC
    March 4, 2014, 12:57 pm

Our system of govt expresses the democratic sovereignty of the American people, however corrupt and attenuated that principle is. Israel’s influence is fundamentally a usurpation of our sovereignty as US citizens. The foreign policy establishment and
    left democrats can agree on that. The establishment may or may not be allies in the class struggle, but they are allies in the medieval-modern struggle where Zionism operates, and their insights and influence are essential.

The real story here is the failure of the left to develop any critique
    of the “Israel lobby”, by the same people who sniff at “nationalism”

2. Pamela Olson
    Pamela Olson
    March 4, 2014, 1:23 pm

Wish I could be there! If I hadn’t just moved, I would be.

Tear ’em up.

3. Krauss
    Krauss
    March 4, 2014, 2:01 pm

Make sure to record video. Transcripts, especially incomplete second-hand ones, are not great. Summaries are even less attractive.

I think most people would be most interested in what you, McConnell and Walt have to say.

irmep
      March 4, 2014, 5:14 pm

Professionally recorded embed-capable video of all panels/speeches will be posted at http://NATSummit.org after the event. Nobody will miss anything.

We’re kinda hoping attendees, rather than doing only “social media”, actually do some “socializing.” Many interesting attendees signed up…

Pamela Olson
        March 4, 2014, 6:44 pm

That’s great to hear! Please do let us know how it goes — hopefully there will be more than one write-up on Mondoweiss.

Susie Kneedler
        March 6, 2014, 10:35 pm

C-SPAN3 will show the Summit live:

“FRIDAY March 7, 2014 9:00AMNational Press Club: Re-assessing U.S.-Israel Relations 8 hours, 0 minute
        A diverse panel of experts examines the relationship between the U.S. and Israel, and the impact of lobbying groups on U.S. policy in the Middle East.”

Hooray: thanks, C-SPAN.

Susie Kneedler
        March 7, 2014, 5:44 am

C-SPAN3 will also stream the Summit here:

Thanks very much, C-SPAN3–and to host Alison Weir, If Americans Knew, for confirming C-SPAN3’s live coverage and streaming.

just
        March 7, 2014, 5:51 am

Many thanks to Susie and to CSPAN.

(I hope that it is archived– I have to/am lucky enough to work! )

Go get ’em Phil et al!

4. Citizen
    Citizen
    March 4, 2014, 2:44 pm

I fail to see why any Palestinian would not be in solidarity with this first American national summit to reassess the US-Israeli “special relationship,” wherein they have been the biggest factual victims and the world’s only super power’s highest values proclaim the top priority of liberty and equal rights for all under the law. Will somebody explain this?

5. kma
    kma
    March 4, 2014, 3:08 pm

AlJazeera’s Ukraine live blog http://live.aljazeera.com/Event/Ukraine_liveblog has live tweets from a Haaretz journalist in Crimea that shows footage of unarmed (uniformed) Ukrainians marching up to a military base and confronting soldiers guarding it with guns that they fire above their heads….
    How can it not make you wonder why Haaretz journalists can’t live tweet footage to AlJazeera of protests in the West Bank being met with shooting soldiers EVERY WEEK?
    Especially ironic is that Israel wants this Crimea confrontation to spark a western conflagration with Russia SO THAT Israel can CONTINUE to violently occupy and ethnically cleanse what’s left of Palestine without any significant political entity (Iran/Syria/etc) to so much as provide moral support to the Palestinians.
    The two images of soldier-protest confrontation are welded together by entirely opposite treatment by Israeli journalism and western press.

[email protected]#%k the US State Department and their “special relationship”.

6. American
    American
    March 4, 2014, 5:07 pm

You can relay my position on US-Israel–which is treat Israel just like we would treat any other country like it.

7. seafoid
    seafoid
    March 4, 2014, 5:54 pm

Is Jeffrey Blankfort still persona non grata here ?

“Special relationship” is BS.
    Power doesn’t have relationships. It has interests
    The US will shaft Israel after it outlives its usefulness.

Ellen
      March 4, 2014, 6:07 pm

During the Cold War Israel was perceived as useful — to maintain a sphere of influence in that part of the world, or a land-based US Aircraft carrier as Gen. Haig referred to Israel (or something like that.)

Is Israel useful at all?

Qatari and Saudi puppets, and the Egyptian military provide greater strategic support than a nuclear armed theocracy run by Russians.

seafoid
        March 4, 2014, 6:20 pm

Israel has no oil

It’s very like Violet Elizabeth

You do like me don’t you ? You’re making me cwy

JeffB
        March 5, 2014, 5:12 pm

@Ellen

Is Israel useful at all?

Yes. The last decade has been terrific for Israel. Its been running the MEK in Iran, setting off a virus in Iranian reactors and assassinating Iranian scientists. That’s rather strong pressure on a major objective. In Syria the ties with the Kurds have been a useful source of access for the CIA. And of course in Kashmir the USA and India are very happy to have people who can capture and kill Al-Qaeda members without the internal blowback that India would suffer.

Israel is becoming an effective extension of the CIA. Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Egypt can’t be trusted to that extent. Obviously Saudi Arabia has oil and is more important. The Egyptian military has greater influence but outside of Egypt it can’t really be deployed. And I’m not sure why you think Qatar is a big player.

CitizenC
      March 5, 2014, 7:38 am

Jeff Blankfort is alive and well. See this in re his presentation at the summit

See the several Mondo items on John Judis’s new book showing (after Michael Cohen et al) the quasi sovereign power of the “Israel lobby”

8. mjordan
    mjordan
    March 5, 2014, 12:18 am

There’s not one Palestinian on any of the panels? Were any Palestinians invited? I thought it was a bad thing when The Nation and NYT didn’t have representation.

And no – what to do about it/plan of action/role of BDS type of panel? Would seem to be a lot more relevant than anything supreme rendition chief Michael Scheuer would have to say.

9. DaBakr
    DaBakr
    March 5, 2014, 1:04 am

Cynthia McKinney….oh what a “thinker” she is. not a dyed-in-the-wool politician and now anti-Israel lobbiest/consultant…and ‘statesperson’ as well. you lie down with dogs and you get fleas. you also loose credibility among those you hope to persuade…big time. not the fence-sitters who are suckers for the big billion dollar Palestinian PR campaign that MW, EI, and other BDS proponents are part of. the people you really need to convince are going to be assured that their opposition to your views are continued and with vigorous support. at least thats how i see things.

talknic
      March 5, 2014, 3:11 am

DaBakr “the big billion dollar Palestinian PR campaign that MW, EI, and other BDS proponents are part of”

Evidence? Any? I’ll wait …. http://wp.me/aDB7k-188

RoHa
        March 5, 2014, 4:42 am

Where’s my share of the billion dollars? I’ve been posting pro-Palestinian comments here for years now! C’mon, pay up, Phil!

Citizen
      March 5, 2014, 9:38 am

@ DaBakr

Re “big billion dollar Palestinian PR campaign that MW, EI, and other BDS proponents are part of. ”

Evidence?

I don’t see any evidence of pro-Palestinian dollars here, in this

list of #AIPAC-orchestrated zionist $ going to specific US congress persons in 2011-2012:

Where’s the pro-Palestinian (aka anti-Zionist) version of George Soros or Sheldon Adelson?

10. March 5, 2014, 8:16 am

What is there to reassess. Cut off the welfare queen, outlaw AIPAC, demand repayment of the tens of billions of dollars in gifts from the US taxpayer to Israel, and put sanctions on Israel to she conforms to international law and UN Resolutions. Sixty-five plus years of this crap is enough data to see what needs to be done.

11. Nevada Ned
    Nevada Ned
    March 5, 2014, 10:05 am

Ali Abunimah should have been invited.
    Here’s his take on Netanyahu’s speech to AIPAC.