Gaza war gives rise to new Jewish group targeting Jewish institutions that support occupation

News
Ifnotnow poster from last night's organizing meeting

IfNotNow statement from last night’s organizing meeting, posted to its twitter feed

The Gaza war has given birth to a new Jewish organization of young people who are highly critical of the Jewish establishment’s support for Israel. Called #IfNotNow, the group held an organizing meeting in New York last night. Eighty people attended (by the looks of it, almost all of them young).

Its new website declares:

We are witnessing Israel’s third military operation in the Gaza strip in the past six years. We are alarmed and horrified by the death and destruction being committed in our name. This is a moment of truth for the Jewish community, a moment that demands action.

And Monday night to commemorate Tisha B’av, the holiday of the destruction of the temple, several hundred demonstrated at Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn, led by #IfNotNow. A poster at the front said, “Stop the War on Gaza.”

Vigil for Tisha Bav at Grand Army Plaza by #Ifnotnow

Vigil for Tisha B’av at Grand Army Plaza by #IfNotNow

As Alex reported, nine members of the group were arrested a week back in a civil disobedience action at the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organization. Here’s video from that “Kaddish action,” which included Jewish song.

KungFuJew went to the Brooklyn event Monday and describes #IfNotNow as coming from the heart of Jewish establishment life:

I lived in Brooklyn for seven years and I recognize so many of my colleagues in the photos: rabbinical students, young Jewish professionals, lay leaders of the Jewish social justice movement, and scions of famous rabbis. This is the center of New York young Jewry.

Rachel Sandalow-Ash, a leader of the Open Hillel movement on campuses, has also been working with IfNotNow; and she tells me:

From my experience organizing with IfNotNow DC these past couple weeks, it seems that If Not Now takes no position on Zionism/non-Zionism, but rather is focused on ending the war on Gaza and ending the occupation. I think the closest analog to this group is All That’s Left: Anti-Occupation Collective, a group of (mostly) diaspora Jews living in Israel/Palestine focused on ending the occupation and building the diaspora angle of resistance. Like “If Not Now,” “All That’s Left” utilizes direct actions and focuses on the unfortunate role that ‘establishment’ Jewish institutions have played in promoting violence and occupation.

Some impressions of the movement: it is of this moment; it draws directly on Jewish religious tradition; it has Jewish Voice for Peace’s blessing but is keeping its independence from existing orgs; it is reaching out to Jews who were indoctrinated in Zionism and embracing them and helping them to escape the snares and toils of that ideology without being aggressively anti-Zionist (as I am); there is nothing assimilationist about its messaging; it will have the effect of bringing mainstream Jews into the Boycott Divestment Sanctions movement on their own terms; and it is dedicated to direct action, thus the reference to Hillel’s famous statement If not now, when? and has the greatest promise of any Jewish movement of bringing Jews into an IDF office to spill their blood in the file drawers.

Following the hashtag #IfNotNow, I read Ophir Bruck’s recommendation for Michael Lerner’s excellent piece on Zionism’s hijacking of his religion, at Salon:

This. Israel has broken my heart: In mourning for a Judaism being murdered by Israel

And there’s a link to this  poem by Casey Tova Markenson, called UnAnthem, published today:

Blue fire rains explosive in my sleep.

Faces erased: Omar al-Fyumi.

Twenty three. Black shirts pray in protest streets.

If I am not for me, who will I be.

Hymns hum, my name softly knocks –

I wear no star but I’m a public Jew.

Blood wine spills, we offer mourner’s rocks,

My friend is cuffed and questioned on the news.

If I unlearn the lyrics to Hatikvah,

Can I relearn any Hebrew letters?

Flashbacks to erev my Bat Mitzvah,

A purple suit, a plain day in November.

How jagged are the myths that we call home;

Dagger tales, a place I’ve never known.

Josh Nathan-Kazis reported at the Forward that #Ifnotnow drew energy from people disaffected by J Street, the liberal Zionist organization that has found itself incapable of condemning the Gaza slaughter:

The [#IfNotNow] effort was launched by four activists, two of them former high-ranking J Street staff members: Carinne Luck, who joined J Street before its launch in 2007 and left in 2012, when she was the group’s vice president of field and campaigns, and Daniel May, director of J Street U, the group’s university arm, from 2010 through 2013. A third, Max Berger, worked as a new media assistant at J Street. He was arrested with eight other protestors during the July 29 action after entering the lobby of the Presidents Conference building and refusing to leave.

Some of the arrested activists were held until midday the following day.

Other former high-ranking J Street staffers attended one or both of the #ifnotnow protests, including J Street’s vice president of communications and new media from 2008 until 2011, Isaac Luria, who wrote the 2008 Gaza letter that Yoffie condemned, and Tamara Shapiro, director of J Street U from 2009 to 2010. Simone Zimmerman, the national president of J Street U’s student board in the 2012-2013 school year, is #ifnotnow’s media liaison.

We’ll have more on #IfNotNow in days to come. I wanted to get these notes up now; it’s news.

Philip Weiss

1. Pixel on August 6, 2014, 2:55 pm

I still don’t think this should be referred to as a war but/and…

… this is GREAT news!!!

2. bilal a on August 6, 2014, 2:59 pm

beautiful souls, thank you.

3. Dan Crowther on August 6, 2014, 3:03 pm

I’m comfortable with being an asshole, so here it goes: Yawn. Why in the world is this “news”? And once again, the blatant sectarianism (and frankly, self promotion) shown by jewish groups like this is just shocking. “Don’t worry, the entire rest of the world, we got this.”

• Donald on August 6, 2014, 3:13 pm

“I’m comfortable with being an asshole, ”

You could have stopped there. And no, it’s not shocking or sectarian or anything else except helpful to have Jews organizing to push back against those in their community who give a blank check to Israeli war crimes.

• Mooser on August 6, 2014, 3:33 pm

“And no, it’s not shocking or sectarian or anything else except helpful to have Jews organizing to push back against those in their community”

All they need to do is start a new, or another Jewish community. No one can stop them. Change the existing conditions from within the community, such as it is on this subject? That doesn’t scare the Zionists at all. It’s a bit of a pain in the ass, but no more. After all, how many times have they handled that sucessfully? Many, many times.
        But a freakin building, with “Non-Zionist Jewish Synagogue” over the door, that people go to (And even if for no other reason than to make a stance against Zionism)? That will scare them enough, I’ll wager, to merit a firebomb or drive-by. And then, you got it made!

• Dan Crowther on August 6, 2014, 3:36 pm

A Jewish Voice For Peace (JVP)
        Jewish Unity for a Just Peace (JUNITY)
        Jews for a Free Palestine (JFFP)
        Jews for Justice for Palestinians
        Jews for Justice in the Middle East
        Jews for Peace in Palestine and Israel (JPPI)
        Jewish Peace Lobby
        Not in my Name
        JStreet, Jews Say No, If Not Now…..

There’s probably a shit ton more. How many groups like this need to be formed before folks say: Probably good intent, but wholly ineffective. And Donald, you’re sort of a Tom for groups like this. You’re always there to defend these groups, that are by definition sectarian given their titles.

• Donald on August 6, 2014, 3:53 pm

“And Donald, you’re sort of a Tom for groups like this. You’re always there to defend these groups, that are by definition sectarian given their titles.”

Yep. The heated reaction to this seems stupid and intolerant to me. No, not anti-Semitic. Just self-righteous crap. Everyone has to think just like you. They can’t identify with a community on the basis of religion or whatever. I don’t know what it means to be Jewish and don’t really care, but it’s no skin off my nose if it means something to others.

“These groups make me think – and I know I’m not alone here – that it’s as important for the only voices of criticism to be jewish as it is stopping the US/Israeli destruction of Palestine. And I think that’s horseshit.”

You’re probably not alone. And it’s more arrogant BS on your part. Maybe some people do think that way and others don’t, but you just assume the worst because you have a stick up your butt on this.

• American on August 6, 2014, 6:25 pm

The reality concerning Jewish groups effort is this:

They need to do it and they have “gotten out there” in front on P/I and got out there first.
        Although some of them arent exactly simeon pure and are doing a bit of gatekeeping.
        However as I said before, despite their best efforts I dont believe they are going to be able to do it alone with just Jews or mainly Jews.
        I can see them trying to keep the Isr- P/I- USA issue/problem mainly ‘in house’ for a variety of reasons.
        Some may think it is ultimately a Jewish responsibility.
        Some want to do it in a way that ‘still preserves’ US support for Israel.
        Some want to keep it in house to ward off non jews who want to go harder against Israel and demand US force against it and some may feel they will lose control of the movement if they actively seek more non Jews to get involved and get some anti semitism in the movement.
        Then there are a few who just think gentiles dont have any right to express any negatives opinions on the Jewish state.

But the fact is its gonna take a huge mass of people, more than jewish groups, to have any impact on the political powers that can rein Israel in.
        I see no attempts to coordinate Jewish and non Jewish groups like CNI and others for joint efforts.. Only thing I have noticed in non Jewish groups is the Summit on Israel where a few like Phil were invited. I havent even seen that effort on the Jewish side.
        Nothing is going to work without more critical mass, more people.
        Since the Jews have a leg up on the grass roots organizing and gentiles have been hampered or loath to do grass roots because of the A-S label–I think Jews should now put aside their fears of gentile takeover/infiltration or whatever and start trying to bring in gentile/other groups and individuals —-under a name or banner that isnt just jewish, thats more generic american—-for the numbers it gonna take to get to politicians.
        The Jewish groups have to take a chance on maybe being screwed if they do or definitely being screwed or losing in the end if they dont.

• Mooser on August 6, 2014, 7:52 pm

“They can’t identify with a community on the basis of religion or whatever. I don’t know what it means to be Jewish and don’t really care, but it’s no skin off my nose if it means something to others.”

It might even be that those who have separated themselves from Judaism generally because of Zionism, or because of the mess Zionism has made of Jewish religion who might come back if an alternative was offered.
        I can’t speak for others but just the idea of making an attempt to take Judaism back from the Zionists would be very motivating, as would a chance to meet and associate with others who felt mutual about it.

Schism, offering new or different ways to express a religion, is not unknown to the Jewish religion and culture. Had one as recently as the 1800s. An entirely new (and completely unwanted by the current establishment) variant, Reform Judaism was offered.

• Sibiriak on August 7, 2014, 3:22 am

Dan Crowther:

Publicity is what these groups are all about. If you want them to be effective , then, yes, you should publicize them, promote them, praise them to high heaven.

And it is critically important that there be such Jewish groups . It sends a clear message: opposition to specific Israeli policies is not “anti-Jewish”, “anti-Semitic”, or even necessarily “anti-Israeli”.

The problem isn’t that such groups are getting too much publicity; it’s that they are getting too little.

• annie on August 8, 2014, 12:41 am

american, ‘some are this and some are that and some are’ ….. well, the purpose is one specific thing. so let’s assume all of them have one thing in common, one objective> focused on ending the war on Gaza and ending the occupation. and they are organizing to do that by targeting institutions.

so, the more the merrier. or do we say, you’re not interested in dismantling israel, which doesn’t meet my standards so therefore i will reject your efforts targeting institutions that support the occupation?

well, what are you gonna do about it? attempt to coordinate Jewish and non Jewish groups for joint efforts?

well, as a matter of fact , there are quite a few other groups trying to end the occupation. this wasn’t organized by jewish groups. in cities across the nation, like austin for example, protests were organized, partly by groups on facebook and such, many non jewish groups. and there were masses showing up so perhaps you’re a tad out of touch.

• Mooser on August 6, 2014, 3:55 pm

Well, since you know that it’s horseshit, and admit it, stop thinking that.

• Dan Crowther on August 6, 2014, 4:09 pm

I wasn’t heated. And thanks Donald for not considering me anti-semitic. That means so much to me. I’m happy to have jewish folks start wholly ineffective, sectarian peace groups, I just don’t see why it needs to be congratulated, publicized and so on. I’d be even happier if these same folks could just join existing Palestine solidarity groups and, you know, blend in, but that’s probably too much to ask.

Also, how many times do people need to be duped around here? A peace groups started by Jstreeters? That’s “mainstream”? People with left tendencies never fail to be so incredibly naive. This might, might not be a brazen PR move, but no way am I giving it the benefit of the doubt.

• Keith on August 6, 2014, 5:21 pm

DAN CROWTHER- “I’d be even happier if these same folks could just join existing Palestine solidarity groups and, you know, blend in, but that’s probably too much to ask.”

Dan, I hear what you are saying and am somewhat sympathetic. However, two aspects of this give me reason to wait and see. First, most of the Jewish groups you listed have not been very successful. Joining them could well be a waste of time. Second, this new group’s approach seems to me to have considerable merit. Going after the core of domestic support for Israel hasn’t been pursued. I have long felt that AIPAC should be targeted for direct action. Throw in the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organization and you have two excellent targets. BDS is fine as an educational tool, but how much pressure can you really put on Israel when they can count on US government support? Support, I might add, strongly influenced by these two concentrations of American Jewish power. Sure, it could turn out to be another feel good distraction, but I don’t want to jump to that conclusion when they at least seem pointed in the right direction.

• Marnie on August 7, 2014, 7:41 am

Zionists, evangelicals, any extreme in any “religion” has done more to turn people away from God than anything else and I think that there is no God in any of these fanatical “religions” or political movements at all. It’s all been a hoax. What does that have to do with this? Not much. Personally I’m sick to death of Jews for this, that or the other thing; why always the self-aggrandizement?

• Mooser on August 6, 2014, 4:00 pm

“There’s probably a shit ton more. How many groups like this need to be formed before folks say:”

Don’t you any faith in Zionists, Dan? I do! I don’t think too many groups like this need to be formed before Zionists react violently, even murderously. I have faith in them, they are devoted to their ideology and principles.

• gamal on August 6, 2014, 7:05 pm

yes it is important to maintain calm and all the requirements of clubable decency while opposing this endless genocide, you are beautiful, and had you a significant member I assure you i would felate it, but you Donald are a worthless prig, i would not, if you were on fire, give you the steam of my piss, fuck you and your nice little conversation, till Jews are willing to fight and die and for their anti-zionism, fuck the whole worthless crew, no wonder Lieberman laughs at you dick heads, God aint going forgive your cowardice, Jesus got nailed to wood, you self satisfied prat, why dont you just go back to being Christian Zionist your self righteous bullshit is tedious, worthless and flecked with insincerity.

the God of white men is dying, I reckon because of you, He hates you, didnt you read the book, John Brown is going to great you when you die with one big backative slap.

whited sepulcher.

• Donald on August 6, 2014, 11:23 pm

“I’m happy to have jewish folks start wholly ineffective, sectarian peace groups, I just don’t see why it needs to be congratulated, publicized and so on. I’d be even happier if these same folks could just join existing Palestine solidarity groups and, you know, blend in,”

I’m not very clear on what makes a person identify himself or herself as Jewish. Sometimes it’s religion, sometimes a cultural thing or just who their parents were. Anyway, people who identify as Jewish might very well be ashamed and outraged that their religion (or cultural heritage or whatever) is used to support war crimes. So some form groups to speak out against it. It seems perfectly natural to me. Liberal Christians do or did the same sorts of things to fight the Christian Right. They didn’t necessarily join other already existing groups on the same issue. This isn’t some nefarious sectarian plot–it’s just common human behavior. Part of the motivation would be to convince other Christians that we should be siding with the poor and not with the rich or whatever the social justice issue happened to be.

There’s nothing stopping these people from joining other groups, and some might, but they might think they have more chance to reach other Jews with a Jewish group, or being human with only a certain amount of time in the day, they might just participate in one. Now if they try to shove the Palestinians out of the picture, so that only Jews are allowed to talk about the issue, then yes, that would be ugly.

• Frankie P on August 7, 2014, 1:01 am

@Donald “J Street, as I recall, showed its true colors fairly soon. Or the leadership did. I vaguely recall reading (maybe at this blog) that some of the rank and file were not in line with the leaders, but if I were them, I would move on to some other group, Jewish or not, if I cared about the Palestinians.”

Well Donald, if the old quick display of true colors is accurate, why did it take so long for these two to jump ship. (see quote below from article) @Dan Crowther, you Sir, are certainly not an asshole, although your sarcasm at being considered one on this site for expressing your reservations evokes a broad smile. There is an inconvenient fact here that people don’t talk about, perhaps because we are not allowed to talk about it on this website. Thou shalt not equate Jewishness and Jewish political identity with Zionism (unless you’re a Zionist Israeli or supporter), thou shalt not question or comment on Jewish identity politics in any way; what a conundrum, since Zionism and all its trappings grew out of Jewish identity politics, and Zionism is supported blindly by the vast majority of Jews in the diaspora. These groups, from the list that Dan Crowther provided to a whole host of others, are gatekeepers of the discourse. They allow criticism of Israel, they criticize Israel, they allow criticism of rich, powerful American Jews who are “dual loyalists” (I put that in quotes because they really only have ONE loyalty, and it isn’t to the US.), they even criticize old Shelly Adelson and his ilk. However, even Phil and some of the most ardent anti-Zionist Jews on this site refuse to address and admit the fact that they act in many ways out of a concern and worry that all of this BFM (big fucking mess) in the Middle East may end up with a boomerang that will smack Jewry as a whole in the US. And it may; it has worked that way for centuries, why would it change now? Has human nature changed?

FPM

“Carinne Luck, who joined J Street before its launch in 2007 and left in 2012, when she was the group’s vice president of field and campaigns, and Daniel May, director of J Street U, the group’s university arm, from 2010 through 2013.”

• Mooser on August 7, 2014, 4:29 pm

“I’m not very clear on what makes a person identify himself or herself as Jewish.”

Oh, that’s nothing to worry about. Neither are most Jews, and it really doesn’t seem to matter.

• annie on August 8, 2014, 12:15 am

well that’s funny frankie because i am a moderator here and i’ve never even heard of this. i don’t even really know what “Jewish political identity” really means, other than a group like this organizing as jews. (which sort of messages i’m might not be invited to the party. and makes me wonder why, if the target is non specific wrt ethnicity >institutions supporting occupation.) but then i’m not really familiar with the specifics of ‘jewish values’, no one sat me down and taught me.

anyway, when you say ” Thou shalt not equate Jewishness and Jewish political identity with Zionism ” when you say ‘equate’ do you mean they are the same thing? do you mean everyone who has ‘Jewish political identity’ is therefore a zionist? because that doesn’t sound true to me. anyway, you’re wrong. we do not have a policy of ” thou shalt not question or comment on Jewish identity politics in any way”. not that i’ve heard of.

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 12:06 pm

“well that’s funny frankie because i am a moderator here and i’ve never even heard of this.”

Thank you. His contentions were absurd, ridiculous, and intentionally insulting.

• SQ Debris on August 6, 2014, 9:03 pm

Here’s kind of a sad funny. Ran into a JVP member at a demonstration last weekend and asked him, “IS THERE an active JVP chapter in town?” He says, “Well it’s kind of tough. All the members here are non-Jewish.”

• annie on August 8, 2014, 12:18 am

what town?

• RoHa on August 8, 2014, 4:08 am

“What really matters is when other people identify you as a Jew. That’s when it starts to matter.”

So you can call yourself a Jew as much as you like, but you are only a really Jew if other people think so? Then if we all said “There’re no such things as Jews”, there wouldn’t be any, regardless of how many people thought they themselves were Jews.

Simple, painless, yet solves the problem at a stroke. If there are no Jews, there is no basis for a Jewish state.

Come on, all together. One, two, three …

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 12:09 pm

Excellent! Even if it’s not exactly true, I’d like to think it is. Or was a condition which existed because of circumstances temporarily or something. Heartwarming. People care.

• AbigailOK on August 7, 2014, 11:41 am

@Donald. Exactly. And more: it’s high time that Jews organize and protest loudly and clearly that there are Jews who want the cruel and inexcusable occupation to end as well as open their mouths against the Gaza genocide (mowing the lawn after having put the Gazans on a diet= not against Hamas but against civilians because they are Arab (Palestinians).

It is exactly necessary that Jews open their mouth loud and clear publicly all over the world, not only in the USA. Only then something will shift and maybe bring other Jews to open their mouth and take a moral stance – Jews who are now afraid for retaliation and vicious repercussions within their own non-democratically thinking and acting Jewish communities, e.g. not getting a Jewish burial, being ostracized if not attacked in the UK, the Netherlands, and elsewhere. So much for antisemitism on the rise? Yeah right….

• W.Jones on August 6, 2014, 5:07 pm

If the group is formed for a religious reason, or has a religious aspect, then it has a good reason for making what you consider to be sectarian. It’s worth having organizations like JVP that can formulate and promote an antiwar or non-nationalistic religious perspective on the conflict. JVP, for example, has a religious council. It is worth having Christian organizations in South Africa, for example, that could give a Christian viewpoint promoting equality.

On the other hand, should an egalitarian dissident organization chose to be explicitly secular and dedicated to one nationality if it believes that this nationality is oppressing another nationality and that the goal should be an egalitarian society for all its citizens? For example, if your goal was to advance the rights of French Canadians under British rule in the 1930’s, would it be better to make an English-French “all-Canadian” advocacy organization, or to just make an explicitly “English” Canadian organization that advocates for the rights of the Quebecois?

So if your goal is for Israeli society to integrate itself, wouldn’t it be best to make a dual “Jewish-Palestinian” organization, unless you intend to give a religious perspective, in which case a simply Jewish organization (like JVP with its rabbinical council) would make sense too?

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 12:13 pm

W. Jones, I don’t want to shock you, or change your world-view, but I really doubt they exclude anybody. The title of “Jewish” doesn’t imply that. And I’m pretty sure JVP is at pains to make that known.

4. Mooser on August 6, 2014, 3:21 pm

They need to rent a building, and start holding services, on a regular basis, if they aren’t already. Just give people a “Jewish” place to go that is free from Zionism, and watch what happens!
    At the very least, at the very least, it will shatter the illusion of Jewish unity on Zionism.
    And no, it’s not a matter of “excluding” Zionists, they are welcome to come and learn something. But they will need to remember they are not in their own building. Might be a new experience for them.

I’m probably wrong, but I’ll say it again, if ham and clams were important enough to split over, I don’t see why Zionism shouldn’t be.

• Sycamores on August 6, 2014, 4:04 pm

it will shatter the illusion of Jewish unity on Zionism

i agree everything helps.

but i can’t help being weary IF NOT NOW sounds like a disaffected J Street splintered group considering two of the founding members were high-ranking J Street staff members. i hope they will aspire to something better.

• Mooser on August 6, 2014, 4:48 pm

Well, there’s my suggestion for “something better”. But nobody will have anything to do with it, because it’s cheap, practical, and can be put into operation within a month.
        So let’s forget all about it, it’s way too doable. Like I said, to eat ham, we will schism, over Zionism, eh, really not that important.

• RoHa on August 7, 2014, 3:44 am

Mooser, to my inexpert eye, you seem to be a genuinely religious Jew. Hell, I’ll even say a more a man of God (not that I believe in God) than many of those beardy types with the funny hats.

So you do it.

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 12:23 pm

I am by no means a genuinely religious Jew. And I am not, by stretch of the imagination, a man of God. In fact, to quote a man many people have compared me to: “I haven’t decided yet what I am or who I am.”

I’d sure as heck go if there was one, a non-Zionist Jewish Temple within reach! I’d have to!

• AbigailOK on August 7, 2014, 11:44 am

I hope they won’t do galas and invite Livni or another Israeli war criminal like they did years ago having Olmert as guest….So much for J Street.

• annie on August 8, 2014, 12:23 am

what’s wrong with being disaffected by j street? let’s toast to that, not be weary of it. it’s a j street convert! being lured to the other side…

• ritzl on August 6, 2014, 7:45 pm

Great comment, Mooser.

5. W.Jones on August 6, 2014, 3:27 pm

A recent Gallup poll showed that many young Americans are very critical of Israeli militaristic policies. another poll showed 90% support among Israelis for their attack on Gaza. Is there a reliable poll surveying young Jewish Americans on the Israeli system or on the attack on Gaza, particularly as their opinions compare to their parents’ generation?

6. Mooser on August 6, 2014, 3:42 pm

“helping them to escape the snares and toils of that ideology without being aggressively anti-Zionist (as I am)!!”

7. Kay24 on August 6, 2014, 3:56 pm

I know there are many moderate Jewish folk around the world, who will agree to what is being said. Just like the majority of Muslims who condemn acts of violence by extremists they are drowned by the voices of extremist Jews, who are stupid enough to think violence will solve problems. May all the moderate Jewish folk unite and stand up to what is done in their name. Voices like Moshe Feiglin, a despicable extremist, should be drowned and ignored. Good luck to those who do good work for humanity.

• Mooser on August 6, 2014, 5:01 pm

“May all the moderate Jewish folk unite and stand up to what is done in their name.”

They need a place to unite and stand up. Somebody will have to provide that space, it won’t appear out of nowhere. Somebody will have to stand up and show them there is a way to be Jewish without being Zionist. After all, people managed it for a long time.

You know, there is the set-up for a great comedy skit here:. After a huge, years long struggle, American Judaism finally rejects Zionism. This wrenching struggle sets brother against brother-in-law, and takes years to resolve. Finally, the resolution is worded, printed up and voted on. It passes, amidst much cheering.
      The resolution is presented to the Prime Minister of Israel. He glances at it and says: “I’m sorry, Israel is a democracy, and he can’t have out political process favor or be influenced by religion!”

8. Kay24 on August 6, 2014, 4:06 pm

Jake Tapper on CNN questions Israels timing and secretiveness when it came to the killing of the 3 Israeli kids. Asking why they did not report that they had arrested someone for that three days into the bloody attack on Gaza.

Something always stinks in Telaviv. This seems to be a deliberate, well planned attack on Gaza, maybe to split the unity government, maybe to kill more Palestinians while hunting Hamas. If the zionist occupiers arrested someone (pity him if he was innocent) why didn’t they stop the war. Such a devious lot. Now thousands are dead or injured, because of their damn lies.

Steve Israel a NY congressperson, right now in Israel kissing Bibi’s ring, seems unconcerned that Israel attacked Gaza knowing well the 3 kids were already dead, and did not reveal it to the press. Jake Tapper did a good job with the questions.

• Atlantaiconoclast on August 6, 2014, 4:52 pm

Its also crucial that the media tell the truth about the timeline of events. How the media parroted the bogus claim by Israel that its bombardment of Gaza was only in retaliation for Hamas rockets, when it bombed Gaza BEFORE that, and killed Palestinians, drives me nuts!

• kalithea on August 7, 2014, 12:22 am

On Monday, I believe it was, after Wolf Blitzer returned from his paid vacation in Israel; I heard him complain that there were few people on the beach and in other words, almost no one frolicking in the water because of the threat of Hamas rockets. Just imagine, Gaza militant resistance is spoiling Zionists’ fun at the beach, because apparently there should be more Zionists on the beach and having a grand ol’ time while Palestinians are being slaughtered on their behalf. I mean, shame on Hamas for pooping on their beach party!

• AbigailOK on August 7, 2014, 12:03 pm

@ Kay. I am sure when this state spouts its usual roll of mud about doing every evil thing in the book “against Hamas” it is lying as it is lying that it is a democracy as it is lying it represents the Jews in the world. (I am a Jewess and israel does not represent me, God forbid even).
      Mowing the lawn = deliberately attacking the defenseless civilian population squeezed within a concentration camp with high-tech weaponry to test them on these people.
      Putting them on a diet = starving aforementioned population to stunt their children’s mental and intellectual development a.o.
      Someone tell me whether this has anything to do with Judaism, whether this is not demonic and basically out to slowly kill off an entire population including their history and culture. This is not genocide? Israel cannot use gas chambers or say it wants to wipe out the Palestinians. But if you really take a detached look at it. What else can it be? The West Bank Palestinians nor those inside the state cannot even commemorate the nakba. Suppose we as Jews were forbidden to commemmorate the shoah? And how many western and non-western countries don’t earn money from this occupation?

9. french_jew on August 6, 2014, 4:11 pm

Very interesting initiative.

10. just on August 6, 2014, 4:49 pm

Yeah!

Gideon Levy on CNN! One of my favorite humans!

11. tokyobk on August 6, 2014, 5:52 pm

Good for them. And I hope they don’t listen to hazers who want to protect their own vaunted Jew-whisperer status and haters who don’t to anything but grouse in comment sections. And most of all not listen to those who while insisting Judaism is a Zionist monolith are nonetheless hostile to any Jew who wants to say “not in my name” or “never again means never again for everyone” in an organised fashion. And really its rich for people to complain about Jews who want to speak as Jews on a website inspired by Jews wanting to speak as Jews.
    Kol ha Kavod, good on you, INN.
    I will make a donation in honour of the haterz.

• gamal on August 6, 2014, 7:08 pm

“hostile to any Jew who wants to say “not in my name””

yeah say it loud and say it proud

” I’d rather you didnt”

• Mooser on August 6, 2014, 7:37 pm

“Good for them. And I hope they don’t listen to hazers who want to protect their own vaunted Jew-whisperer status and haters who don’t to anything but grouse in comment sections.”

I’m with you, tokyobk. If there’s anything I can’t abide, it’s a hazer who wants to protect their own vaunted Jew-whisperer status. In fact, that type of event should be forbidden outright at fraternity initiations. It reeks, frankly of anti-Semitism.

• tokyobk on August 6, 2014, 9:21 pm

That is actually a good snark.

I give it 5/5 on my Mooser scale:

1 point) germane to what I actually said 2) clever spin -key to wit which you are hit miss these days. The old Mooser was wittier. 3) pithy 4) Jewish absurd (you know what I mean) 5) good timing –did not take you all day to retort.

• Mooser on August 6, 2014, 10:40 pm

Gosh, I hoped you would explain what a “hazer” is, and most fascinating of all what a “Jew-whisperer” might be. Or even more mysterious, this “vaunted Jew-whisperer status”? Maybe if you explained these things, my response would be more to the point.

• Raksha on August 7, 2014, 11:10 am

Okay, I’ll bite. Could you (or someone) please explain what a “Jew-whisperer” is, and also what a “hazer” is? I’m new around here, and my Yiddish vocabulary seems to be more deficient than I thought.

–Linda

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 12:34 pm

“and also what a “hazer””

Okay, it took me 18 hrs., but I finally did the sensible thing and said “Oh, there’s a “c” missing, that “ch” spelling is always variable isn’t it? So I think it’s probably Chazzer or “pig”.
        Now, I’m used to being called a “dirty animal” but perhaps we should take into account the words of Marx: “The pig is the cleanest animal there is! Except for my father, of course” (Groucho thereupon, according to the man who heard the remark at a Chinese restaurant “dropped like a falcon into his plate of chop suey

Anyway, yeah chazzer or “hazer” I think it’s supposed to be “pig”.
        As to the mysterious and arcane subject of “Jew-whisperers” I haven’t a clue.

• Dan Crowther on August 6, 2014, 9:10 pm

Hey Benny – I hope you don’t think I believe “Judaism is a Zionist Monolith” that’s not at all what I think.

Part of the reason I think groups like these are misguided is precisely because they indirectly blame Jews and really Jews alone for what Israel is. My frank opinion is that Jews in Israel and their Jewish supporters worldwide are being took, by Uncle Sam and the West generally. I’m sure you’ve seen this quote before:

“There are people (the Arabs, Editor’s Note) who control spacious territories teeming with manifest and hidden resources. They dominate the intersections of world routes. Their lands were the cradles of human civilizations and religions. These people have one faith, one language, one history and the same aspirations. No natural barriers can isolate these people from one another … if, per chance, this nation were to be unified into one state, it would then take the fate of the world into its hands and would separate Europe from the rest of the world. Taking these considerations seriously, a foreign body should be planted in the heart of this nation to prevent the convergence of its wings in such a way that it could exhaust its powers in never-ending wars. It could also serve as a springboard for the West to gain its coveted objects.”

British Prime Minster Campbell Bannerman 1907 – The Bannerman Report

[Dan Bar-On & Sami Adwan, THE PRIME SHARED HISTORY PROJECT, in Educating Toward a Culture of Peace, pages 309–323, Information Age Publishing, 2006]

————————————

The Zionists were convenient. No one really cared about their beliefs or their “claim” to the land, they didn’t get hoodwinked, they knew what life was going to be like for Israelis – it would be never ending war for as long as they could stand it. They were of course dooming the entire region to this kind of fate – along with wholesale economic exploitation and dictatorship, but the Imperial powers weren’t really doing “The Jews” any favors, at least if you ask me.

To me, the great failure of Zionism is that it didn’t break the Jewish – Western Elite
      relationship. For centuries Jews were like the bailiffs for the ruling classes, doing a lot of the dirty work. Seems like not a lot has changed. So, if anything that rallying cry should be: We’re getting taken for a ride by the same crowd that incited anti semitism when it suited them and were indifferent to the Holocaust.

• tokyobk on August 6, 2014, 9:16 pm

Hi Dan, I did not mean you personally. I have seen hostility towards any self-conscious Jewish organizing from people who nonetheless consider the Jewish community a culpable monolith.

• Mooser on August 6, 2014, 10:45 pm

You’re not gonna tell me what a “vaunted Jew-whisperer status” is, are you?
        Oh well, another thing I won’t know.

• seanmcbride on August 7, 2014, 9:25 am

Dan Crowther,

Which sinister non-Jewish parties in the West are manipulating and victimizing ADL, AIPAC, the Conference of Presidents, Haim Saban, Jewish neoconservatives, Mossad, NJDC, RJC, Sheldon Adelson, etc. — coercing them to be passionate Jewish ethnic and religious nationalists? Demanding that Israel continue to expand settlements into Greater Israel against the wishes and will of Western governments?

Please be specific — names of groups, organizations and individuals.

• libra on August 7, 2014, 3:10 pm

@Dan Crowther

British Prime Minster Campbell Bannerman 1907 – The Bannerman Report

Good grief Dan, this means that Professor Ellis was right after all. It is all the fault of the Presbyterians.

12. Baldur on August 6, 2014, 5:55 pm

It gives me hope to read this. I wish them the best of luck!

13. CitizenC on August 6, 2014, 5:57 pm

The Jewish establishment will be threatened when these groups include gentiles in their protests. Until that happens, these efforts function as Jewish public relations, s and implicitly accusing the gentiles of anti-semitism. These efforts also imply that the activities of the organized Jews are an intra-Jewish matter, not one for the rest of the population.

14. Kay24 on August 6, 2014, 6:53 pm

Obama quite loudly and firmly defending Israel’s brutality by crying about those pesky rockets, that really killed 3. Strange the side that slaughtered nearly 2000 people gets away with murder, where the US is concerned. I guess when the US hands over the ammunition to kill those civilians, it is hard to be honest and not try to justify the massacre. Not a mention about the occupation, or the blockade.
    We must protect the 51st state at all cost, even if we have to look like fools doing it.

• SQ Debris on August 6, 2014, 9:09 pm

I wonder how many Israelis died in car accidents during Operation Human Sacrifice. I’ll bet is was way more than three. Maybe Israel should launch pin point strikes on car manufacturers and leave the bottle rocket crowd to their light shows.

15. joshkarpf on August 6, 2014, 7:10 pm
  16. American on August 6, 2014, 7:16 pm

This is new low even for the hag Rudoren—-I am pretty sure people didnt take time out to kill each other in domestic violence spats while being bombed by Israel.

@Max Blumenthal

Jodi @Rudoren hypothesizes that domestic violence caused some of the civilian deaths in Gaza: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/06/world/middleeast/civilian-or-not-new-fight-in-tallying-the-dead-from-the-gaza-conflict.html?_r=0&referrer= … pic.twitter.com/25GwfRSANI

17. atime forpeace on August 6, 2014, 8:48 pm

From the Forward website.

The last time Israel invaded Gaza, in 2008, the activist group J Street took a hard line against Operation Cast Lead. J Street framed Israel’s attack as collective punishment and demanded an immediate end to the conflict.
    The organization was pilloried by American Jewish leaders.
    This time around, J Street has taken a radically different position, sticking close to other mainstream Jewish groups. J Street has asserted Israel’s right to defend itself, and has condemned Hamas while expressing concern for Palestinian and Israeli civilians.

Read more: http://forward.com/articles/203111/j-streets-gaza-war-support-wins-moderate-praise–/?p=all#ixzz39f9aTpvG

18. clenchner on August 6, 2014, 10:23 pm

As someone who was part of this group’s first action, I can tell you it was refreshing how many were making snarky references to both J Street AND the hard core BDS folks.
    These are sane, progressive Jews who know Israel and the OT, the Jewish community, and themselves. As I experienced them (I guess I’m one of them) they would be denounced endlessly on this site if they expressed themselves.
    Reading Phil’s optimistic report, I feel like paraphrasing on his behalf:
    “Dear group that would be savaged by the insane choir on my site for failing to fully endorse BDS or repudiate Zionism: Good job!”

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 12:40 pm

Newclench! Bubbele Thanks for repeating my meme. Not that I want ownership of it or anything, but it’s nice to see it entering the vocabulary so fast. Yes, “repudiating Zionism”, you’ll be seeing a lot of that. Try to remember, if the concept doesn’t appeal to you, that it will not harm, or even effect Israel or a single person in it.
      But above all, thanks for repeating and in some small way, perhaps, validating it.

19. crone on August 6, 2014, 10:25 pm

Phil, thank you for covering this new group… and for posting right up front their mission. I disagree with two of the premises in the comment sections.

First, that another ‘group is not needed’ etc.

There can never be enough people motivated to bring about a resolution to the I/P issue. INN is a group of mostly young people ~ statistics show that particularly in USA, it is the young people who are turning wrt approval of Israel’s tactics against Gaza/Palestine. INN’s members are disenchanted with the inaction of some of the existing groups ~ particularly iirc J Street, who has yet to criticize Israel. It is heartening for me to see that early on they observed a Vigil for Tisha B’av ~ just the day before you may remember, Rabbi Michael Lerner, in his eloquent article at Salon, called for Jews to do just that… I’m also pleased that they have established a goal… an objective… “to withdraw the consent & participation from institutions that uphold it ” (occupation). Kudos to INN and blessings on them. Granted there are many existing groups, but there objective is vague ~ “peace” ~ they demonstrate, etc. I participated in an anti-war demonstration back in the 80s –
    actually it was a trek from the west to the east coast… I joined in a week before they reached their objective, Washington DC. I remember walking in DC with a few others after we had finally arrived… we passed a homeless woman, sitting on the pavement… she raised her head and asked “what are all you people doing here” and we answered, “we have been marching across the country for peace.” And she looked squarely at us and asked “Did you find it?”

The second theme running through this thread is … “And once again, the blatant sectarianism (and frankly, self promotion) shown by jewish groups like this is just shocking. ” Sorry for the direct quote… not my intent to single out anyone commenter. For me, a non-Jew, the interpretation of efforts by Jews to “do something” as being self promotion is totally off the mark. From my pov, far too many Jews are taking responsibility for what Israelis are doing/have done. And that is because – imho – it is zionism… nationalism… which is motivating Israel ~ but because Bibi reminds the world every opportunity he gets that “Israel is a State for Jews” ~ Jews across the planet ‘feel’ whatever Israel has done to Palestinians is their fault, they feel guilty. And what does one do when one feels guilty? One tries (well usually anyway) to compensate… change things. It’s wrong to accuse Jews of self promotion when they are attempting to atone for the sins of others. (imho, ymmv)

Recently I have come across a fascinating article by the French intellectual, Thierry Meyssan, called “Who is the Enemy?” wherein he gives the long history of zionism – not the short version from Herzl forward. Meyssan’s premise is that zionism was originally an Anglo concept… expressed by Cromwell. Couple of excerpts:

“… Until nearly the end of the nineteenth century, Zionism is therefore exclusively a puritan Anglo-Saxon project to which only a Jewish elite adheres. It is strongly condemned by the rabbis who interpret the Torah as an allegory and not as a political plan.

Among the current consequences of these historical facts, we must admit that if Zionism aims at the creation of a state for the Jews, it is also the foundation of the United States. Therefore, the question of whether policy decisions are all made ​​in Washington or Tel Aviv has only relative interest. It is the same ideology that is in power in both countries. Furthermore, Zionism having enabled the reconciliation between London and Washington, the challenge is to tackle this alliance, the most powerful one in the world.”

“… It is the theology of Reverend Blackstone which served as the basis for Washington’s unwavering support for the creation of Israel. And this long before AIPAC (the pro-Israel lobby) was created and took control of Congress. In reality, the power of the lobby derives not so much from its money and its ability to finance election campaigns as from this ideology still present in the USA [6].

“… Zionism has thus never had the goal of “saving the Jewish people by giving them a home,” but the triumph of Anglo-Saxon imperialism by associating them with it. Furthermore, not only is Zionism not a product of Jewish culture, but the majority of Zionists has never been Jews, while the majority of Jewish Zionists are not religious Jews. Biblical references ubiquitous in Israeli public discourse, reflect only the thought of the believing part of the country and are primarily intended to convince the U.S. population.”

Here’s the link to Meyssan’s piece. http://www.voltairenet.org/article184973.html

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 1:28 pm

And the fact that, as the Ottoman Empire crumbled, Britain came into what they call a “Mandate” to rule Palestine. The Zionists could fit into the English plans to administer the area.

20. palijustice on August 6, 2014, 10:29 pm

This is a great movement and very important to see. Israel is ruining Judaism, people like this can save it.

21. michelle on August 6, 2014, 10:59 pm

young people trying to make the world a better place
    lovely effort bravo
    big issues such as this one will require all hands on deck
    G-d Bless

22. kalithea on August 6, 2014, 11:29 pm

Brian Eno’s letter to America:

I Saw a Weeping Palestinian Man Holding A Plastic Bag of Meat: It Was His Son

So he’s writing about America’s support for Israel saying it makes no sense it just makes us look bad.

But I would say in stronger terms that Americans are complicit with evil even merely by remaining silent, ignoring the suffering of Palestinians or trying to somehow explain it away as benefitting Jews who were once victims.

But the worst complicity of all is the complicity that Jews have with Zionism; indeed, Zionism makes Jews look very bad. There is no reason on earth and in heaven that justifies what Zionism is doing to the Palestinians. ENOUGH!

23. Pixel on August 7, 2014, 1:07 am

I just watched, what I consider to be one of the best interviews I’ve ever seen with Norman Finklestein (RT, 8/6/14?).

Norman Finkelstein on Gaza conflict, Hamas goals and Iron Dome myth

He was relaxed, not rushed, and he’s the only interviewee. For a straight 50 minutes, he did what he does best. He took the highly complex, exceptionally detailed situation occurring in Gaza over the past weeks and distilled it all down into something so simple and clear that it boggled my mind.

After listening to him, it seems possible that almost anyone could understand his perspective about what happened in Gaza, it’s causes, what it did/didn’t accomplish, and where things may go from here.

I was disappointed that he didn’t mention the murder of the young Palestinian who was burned alive but/and I thought it was oversight rather than intentional. The same might be said about his not trulyemphasizing (beyond using the word “horror” once, I think) the ABSOLUTE HORROR of the death and destruction experienced by the Palestinian people in all of this. He does feel that way so I don’t know, I guess he just got too caught up in making other points.

Just as interesting to me, if not more, was what I perceived to be the steadily changing demeanor of the interviewer as the interview progressed. In the beginning, the young woman appeared to believe (take for granted) that the hype/hasbara pumped out by Israel and the MSM over the past few weeks was accurate. However, the more she heard from NF, the redder and more blotchy her face looked to me, and the stiffer her body appeared. Near the end, as the scales continued to fall from her eyes, she looked like she might actually throw up.

Was I witnessing the first moments when the TRUTH about the BIG LIE was finally dawning on this young woman?

24. Pixel on August 7, 2014, 1:29 am

It was worth my 50 minutes just to hear him call Obama a spineless, cynical, narcissist.

25. jayn0t on August 7, 2014, 1:32 am

“A new Jewish group targeting Jewish institutions that support occupation”. What, another one? Aren’t there enough already? Why would you organize a “Jewish group” to oppose Jewish supremacy? Were there specifically white groups to oppose apartheid in South Africa? Aryans Against the Nazis? Proud White People Opposing Segregation?

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 12:47 pm

“Why would you organize a “Jewish group” to oppose Jewish supremacy”

I don’t think the word “Jewish” is supposed to in any way imply exclusivity.

Of course, we could ponder if the appellation “Jewish” seems to imply notions of exclusivity in people who might otherwise be open to the message.
      The word Jewish does not belong to anybody, it isn’t a registered trademark, it can, and does, mean almost anything people want it to mean.

26. jayn0t on August 7, 2014, 1:38 am

“We are alarmed and horrified by the death and destruction being committed in our name.” Why are they concerned about it being committed “in our name”? Is their first concern the death and destruction, or the fact that it appears to give Jews a bad press? I was never specifically horrified by the crimes of apartheid because its organizers claimed to be standing up for the interests of white Europeans. Maybe I was wrong.

27. Yosef26 on August 7, 2014, 2:37 am

You pretty much had me up to BDS, which even Norman Finkelstein says is ridiculous.

But, but, but, as an American Jew with an Israeli passport, I’ve been very conflicted about everything going on lately. Heat without light from Likud, and pretty much a complete descent into nihilism on the part of the Israeli Street.

I truly believe that if most Jews in the Diaspora knew the dehumanizing daily reality of life for your average Arab – within or without the 1967 borders – they would not give such blanket approval to the program of the Revisionist Zionists currently in power.

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 1:10 pm

“Revisionist Zionists”

Uh-oh, tribal unity alert! Who are this small splinter group of Revisionist Zionists who is ruining it for everybody? We can have Revisionists, this is a one-for-all-all-for-one effort!

Wait a minute, so this is what they will get if they try to deal with the Zionists, a constant them of ‘You must save us from ourselves’ and ‘It’s those damn revisionists’

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 1:20 pm

” they would not give such blanket approval”

Yes, that was a dramatic moment in the K’nesset when the Liberal Zionist member asked “But do we have the blanket approval from Diaspora Jews?” And the Revisionists, among much pomp and cheering, brought out the actual blanket, and spread it out on the dias!. That satisfied the Liberals, and “Protective Edge” got started.
      Because without that blanket approval, Israel could do very little.

28. Nevada Ned on August 7, 2014, 7:25 am

FWIW, I am perfectly fine with the formation of yet another Jewish group that is critical of Israel’s racism and militarism. If there’s a proliferation of such groups, fine and dandy.

You also find a proliferation of groups that support Israeli racism no matter what: AIPAC, ADL, CAMERA, Council of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, Foundation for Defense of Democracies (FDD), Emergency Committee for Israel, J Street, Washington Institute for Near East Policy (WINEP), Christians United for Israel (CUFI), a lot of synagogues and Jewish Community Relations Councils around the world, etc. Some of these groups have interlocking directorates with other groups. They also find it useful to have a proliferation of such groups.

The new group #IfNotNow is named after the famous saying by a famous rabbi Hillel, “if not now, then when?” . This group will likely attract Jews for whom being Jewish has an important ethical aspect, as opposed to the supernatural aspect of religion (ANY religion).
    I think the potential audience is significant, and chips away even more at the once-nearly-monolithic blind support for Israel.

29. Kay24 on August 7, 2014, 7:40 am

I wonder if Scarlett Jo is having any sleepless nights wondering why the side she chose to support, slaughtered so many children….nah I guess not.

BDS video:

30. Mooser on August 7, 2014, 4:41 pm

Well, seems I couldn’t push the discussion towards starting a non-Zionist Jewish community, no matter how hard I tried. I think it’s doable especially if young people decide to do it. Actuarial tables can be used to demonstrate this. We may be seeing the beginnings of it here.
    I don’t think there is any alternative for those who feel they can or must be Jewish without Zionism. They may not be able to change the course of Israel, but Judaism, we can attempt to seize back from the Zionists if we want it.

31. jon s on August 8, 2014, 4:41 am

I just wrote to this new group:

Message: I’m writing this from Beersheva , in the south of Israel. I fully support Palestinian rights, and oppose the occupation and settlements, and I’m very much concerned for the survival of Israeli democracy. I would like to see you address these questions: 1. How should we respond to the rockets and mortars raining down from Gaza on our civilian population? 2.Considering that the Hamas uses schools, mosques, hospitals and civilian residences as arms depots and launching sites, in a cruel, calculated strategy meant to cause death and destruction to their own people, while their own leadership are protected in fortified shelters- what should the Israeli response be? 3. This morning Hamas ended the ceasefire and resumed firing. Israel had agreed to extending the ceasefire. What should our response be? 4. How should we respond to the rising tide of Anti-Semitism? thank you Jon

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 12:50 pm

JON S, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, JON S, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 12:56 pm

“I fully support Palestinian rights, and oppose the occupation and settlements, and I’m very much concerned for the survival of Israeli democracy”

Gosh, JON S, I’m so happy we can allay one of your concerns. One less thing to worry about, you know?

See, JON S doesn’t have an archive, his real views aren’t plainly known, his wide-eyed ingenuousness is completely authentic, and I’m just ridiculing him out of nowhere.

32. Citizen on August 8, 2014, 8:52 am

Phil and many here have expressed the issue of banning here, around the time Phil put out his comments policy back in 2012:

Blankfort, Atzmon, Witty. On linked article’s comments, Hostage brings in Hannah Arendt, I think decisively re her analysis found in her two key books on Eichmann and origins of totalitarianism. One jestful response is MW would’ve banned Arendt.

Marc Ellis’s latest article here refers to universalism and a Jewish universalism that always circles back to Jewishness, or Jewish identity politics; this in turn makes me think of the actual content of Atmzon’s book on this subject.

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 1:02 pm

“Marc Ellis’s latest article here refers to universalism and a Jewish universalism that always circles back to Jewishness, or Jewish identity politics;”

And, of course, we all know the Jewish identity and identity politics, is an immutable thing, remaining constant in all circumstances, has always been exactly like it is now all over the world, going back 3 thousand years, or something, without changes. And that’s the nice thing, you can count on the Jews.
      And, of course, any Zionist would agree with me on that.

33. seanmcbride on August 8, 2014, 12:36 pm

Mooser,

How many non-Zionist Jewish Temples are there in the United States currently? Do they have any representation at the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations?

34. Mooser on August 8, 2014, 12:52 pm

“How many non-Zionist Jewish Temples are there in the United States currently?”

You Sean, if you had the Internet, you could answer questions like that for yourself, instead of exposing yourself to my brittle japes.

35. seanmcbride on August 8, 2014, 1:04 pm

Mooser,

Your “brittle japes” tickle like cotton candy — one barely notices them.

Would it be fair to say that a large majority of Jewish Temples in the United States are Zionist? Since the lead organizations of Orthodox, Conservative and Reform Judaism are members of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, that would seem to make sense — CoP is a Zionist outfit.

• Chu on August 8, 2014, 1:20 pm

“Would it be fair to say that a large majority of Jewish Temples in the United States are Zionist? ”
      ~of course they are. It’s where they organize birth-right trips to Israel.

I think the question that would bring back a quicker and shorter results:

‘What synagogues within the US are non-Zionist?’

36. Mooser on August 8, 2014, 1:14 pm

They’re secret. Known only to the few. Or they might be on the Internet, not sure.

“Your “brittle japes” tickle like cotton candy — one barely notices them.”

Most of the time, yes, but that one about “I think I’m being thoughtful” got right in amongst you, didn’t it?

• seanmcbride on August 8, 2014, 1:21 pm

Mooser,

Your response to: “Regarding Robert Morgenthau: to what views of his on Zionism were you referring?”

So that’s it in the way of a response?

We know that he was a passionate Zionist who worked closely with Mossad. Anything else on this topic you can share?