Karmah Elmusa rocks Elle Magazine

US Politics

Elle Magazine published an autobiographical article by Karmah Elmusa, a young Palestinian-American journalist — and all heck broke loose in the comment section. In the article, I’m Longing for Palestine while living the American Dream, Elmusa writes about her background and her identity as Palestinian-American growing up in Washington DC. The escalation of violence in Palestine is understandably tugging on her heart in times such as these. Under the circumstances, the sentiments she expressed seem very normal:

[D]isparate emotions dart around inside me like pinballs, striking chords and hitting nerves. There’s the sadness, of course–​the sadness that I always feel when I think about Palestine—​that is now pulled to the surface and sharper than usual. Sadness that so many of today’s young people are lost to a struggle that is decades old. Sadness that it feels like it may continue for decades more.

It’s consuming, she’s a good writer. You can feel her anxiety bracing for what’s to come, like Palestinians all over the world. Is the Third Intifada before us now? I don’t know but I’m scared too.

Elmusa writes about grappling with her identity; split between her American side (Dixie Chicks and McDonald’s) and her Palestinian side (her cousin was sentenced to 9 years – “the rest of his youth in a cell” – for protesting the murder/torching of Mohammed Abu Khdeir, 16). She’s frustrated “how irreconcilable my two halves often seem” and asks “Who does that make me, exactly?”

On top of that she’s a blond:

I can seamlessly blend into a culturally white world, never being subjected to that split-second suspicion and judgment that so many Arab-Americans deal with daily. My complexion has afforded me a very privileged life here.

I hope Elmusa’s two halves can eventually seamlessly blend with each other. I hope American society can be a place where that can happen. But in all honesty, the comment section perfectly demonstrates what Elmusa is up against, what Palestinian-Americans and Arab-Americans have to contend with probably on a daily basis. And Elmusa has beautiful energy, she’s hopeful with an optimistic nature. And I don’t know if it’s because her article was published in Elle and their readership is particularly pro-Israel, but the racism directed at her by so many of the commenters was outrageously vile. One man, Yacov Yardeny from New York City, wrote:

she will be the first one to stab American’s back when she get a chance…The writer is an Arab, as an Arab should not to be trusted they have proven througout history not to be trusted

Writing about the occupation and hoping if Palestinians can ever live like normal people, Elmusa wasn’t asking too much. She just wants Americans to look at Palestinians and know “that all they want are the same basic things Americans demand for themselves—​like equal protection under the law. Like the ability to not only survive, but to really live.”

Another commenter wrote

most mmuslims in the middle east are blood gushing muderers ,thursty killers who wont kill from far ,just holding head with left hand and slowly slice it off with right hand with out even saying “ouch” after or some will walk near yah and plunge a knife in u with out knowing if anything happened

It goes on and on like this, just unbearable. Linda Levitan, a copy editor at Deaf Life magazine wrote Palestinians had “a psychopathic culture that would almost certainly execute her for being corrupted by ïnfidel values” and that if she went to Palestine “She wouldn’t survive there a week” because Palestinians’ greatest aspirations are to kill Jews and “Dissenters are quickly terminated.”

Ron Katz, a system architect at Cisco says he would “love to believe there are Arabs who can conduct a civilized conversation and not just talk with knives.” He should get out more!

So many of the accusations, expressions willing posted by people supporting Israel, one after another — so mean. And most don’t hide their identity, just showing their stripes and letting it all hang out. It’s as if they are unaware how abhorrent their bigoted voices are. It’s worrying but as Americans become more familiar with those angry bullying voices (becoming a trademark for pro-Israel activism), the more we become immune and understand your nature and who you really are.

Two people sent me this article, both alerted me to the comment section. One mentioned Elmusa’s background made an impression on her because it sounded “so similar” to her daughter’s.  She was delighted to hear a Palestinian voice in a mainstream publication. Then she wrote:

you’ll see how completely unhinged the Zionists get when they encounter Palestinians where they least expect them. The vitriol is unbelievable, considering how moderate and calm her essay is.

Americans are not accustomed to hearing Palestinian voices in mainstream publications. Elmusa has spirit, talent and fun written all over her. Does that makes her a threat? You be the judge.

Answering Karmah Elmusa’s question, who does that make you, exactly? It makes you a beautiful Palestinian-American who enriches our country, Palestine, and our world.

Thanks to Elle for publishing this thoughtful article.

annie
About Annie Robbins

Annie Robbins is Editor at Large for Mondoweiss, a mother, a human rights activist and a ceramic artist. She lives in the SF bay area. Follow her on Twitter @anniefofani

1. Scott
    Scott
    November 2, 2015, 9:46 am

I haven’t looked at the comments, but there are hundreds of (paid) Zionist commenters who do this sort of thing; the ones who work mondoweiss are probably the creme de la creme. I doubt Yacov Yerdeny is a regular Elle reader.

eljay
      November 2, 2015, 9:54 am

|| Scott: … there are hundreds of (paid) Zionist commenters who do this sort of thing; the ones who work mondoweiss are probably the creme de la creme. … ||

Given some of the drivel they’ve posted here at MW, you’d never know they were the “élite” members of Team Zio-Hasbara…

inbound39
        November 2, 2015, 7:03 pm

I will second that motion eljay. Given some of the Zionists I ran up against on the thread I ran on Yahoo for three years the Hasbara dudes on here get cut to pieces fairly quickly and then go away until the next time. I have faced may in the past who stand their ground and persist with their lies requiring a line by line exposure of the lies before they disappear.

Kay24
      November 2, 2015, 11:32 am

You can just sense the hatred and bigotry in his comment. To me stabbing America in the back means bombing an American Navy technical research ship and pretending it was a mistake, when witness say it was deliberate, interfering in American politics including Presidential elections, manipulating and disrespecting an American President, by conniving with opposition members of Congress, and giving a defiant speech in congress criticizing that Presidents initiatives to make a nuclear deal with a nation you detest, and maybe envy, it also means using a Jewish American to spy on America, which ends up with him getting a life sentence in jail (and begging for his release afterwards), now THAT is what I call Back Stabbing zionist style. As if zionists are honest and trustworthy creatures.

Yardeny seems to be a racist, so what else can you expect?

inbound39
        November 2, 2015, 7:08 pm

The sad part about the Liberty is the torment and blame that was unleashed on the Captain. And then you also have the witnesses,members of the crew who still face being labelled liars and getting no support or justice from the Government it served. It illuminates brightly the infestation by Zionists within the American Government. American Military personnel should demand justice over the Liberty.

Marnie
        November 3, 2015, 12:08 am

You nailed that Kay24 –

RoHa
        November 3, 2015, 5:05 am

There is a story – maybe true – that is much loved in British legal circles. The master criminal broke into a scrap yard, and stole a magnet crane. He drove the crane across London and onto a building site. He then tore the roof off one of the temporary site offices, and was using the crane to lift out a safe when the police arrived.

When taken before the magistrate the next morning, he said, “My mind went all blank for a moment. I don’t know what came over me.”

Perhaps Zionists could offer the same excuse.

Kay24
        November 3, 2015, 9:52 am

RoHa, the zionists have justified all their violence, breaking of international laws, and show no genuine remorse nor have changed their ways, in fact they are getting WORSE.

Their excuses have no credibility anymore, and it seems the world has heard enough of it.

CigarGod
        November 3, 2015, 9:59 am

Good reason for Jews to back away from the explosive outward splattering of barbaric zionism…lest they be covered in it…and look to be part of it.

eljay
        November 3, 2015, 10:00 am

|| RoHa: … There is a story … ||

Good story!

|| … Perhaps Zionists could offer the same excuse. ||

It wouldn’t be any lamer than the “fear-scarred” / PTSD excuse they were pushing a few years ago.

jd65
        November 4, 2015, 11:41 am

@ RoHa: “Don’t get so worked up about the Liberty. Yes, it was unfortunate, but it was just one of those momentary mental hiccups I mentioned earlier. [etc…]” I just wanna say that I can’t tell whether this this post is supposed to be sarcastic or not. I know everyone has different ideas about humor, and comedy isn’t a science. But if this is supposed to be funny, we’ve got different ideas about what’s funny. And if the post isn’t sarcastic, that’s of course much worse…

Laurent Weppe
      November 2, 2015, 2:14 pm

I haven’t looked at the comments, but there are hundreds of (paid) Zionist commenters who do this sort of thing.

I seriously doubt it: why waste money paying racists nutjobs who don’t need pecuniary incentives to willingly spew their hatred/authoritarian-fantasies everywhere they’re allowed to do so?

annie
        November 2, 2015, 2:31 pm

because they are severely outmatched. and you’re just wrong if you do not think there are “hundreds” of paid zionist commenters out there. for one thing the gov of israel offers scholarships for hasbara agents. we wrote about it. http://mondoweiss.net/2013/08/covert-online-students-hasbara-units-directed-out-of-israeli-pm-netanyaus-office

and this budget from the israeli gov is a drop in the bucket. there are groups like tip (the israel project) who hire online activists. and never ever have i encountered one who admits to getting paid. that means there’s a policy to not self identify as a paid agent. but they are definitely out there. there’s no limit to funding for hasbara so the question to ask yourself is why wouldn’t they pay for it? they started actively recruiting during the lebanon war with the explosion of negative online commentary about israel. there are teams in many countries and in many languages.

Laurent Weppe
        November 3, 2015, 3:31 am

Propagandists who mail talking points to the faithful, sure, but I’m fairly certain that virtually all those who then copy-paste said talking points and mix these with shoddily constructed variation of the “Arabs are genetically inferior Untermenschen” theme are doing so for free.

2. CigarGod
    CigarGod
    November 2, 2015, 10:10 am

Sometimes you have a beautiful gracefulness in your writing, Annie.

annie
      November 2, 2015, 10:56 am

thank you so much cigargod. it means a lot to me you would think that.

W.Jones
        November 2, 2015, 11:25 am

Yes, Annie is a good writer. I like her mind. She is a good critical thinker who is able to see through hype. Not everyone can do that.

bintbiba
        November 2, 2015, 3:57 pm

I second CG’s comment. Not only do ….

…….” you have a beautiful gracefulness in your writing, Annie” ,

You are beautiful within and without !!

Sibiriak
      November 2, 2015, 11:05 am

CigarGod: Sometimes you have a beautiful gracefulness in your writing, Annie
      —————

Other times she has a beautiful ferocity and ruthlessness.

Other times its the sheer beauty of unassailable logic.

Sometimes, it’s all of it together!

CigarGod
        November 2, 2015, 3:23 pm

Got that right!
        The kid is a fricking Ninja.

jd65
      November 2, 2015, 1:26 pm

Yup. Another good article from Annie :)

A lot of stuff in the discussion on Palestine-Israel is on permanent loop. So for myself, the last sentence of your article was, in a way, the most meaningful and engaging/interesting: “Thanks to Elle for publishing this thoughtful article.” YES! Pardon my french but Elle has huge balls to publish this article. “Brass balls,” as Alec Baldwin might say. I’m not aware of any other major fashion magazine publishing anything like this article. It may have happened before, but I didn’t hear about it (I don’t really keep up on the fashion journalism world…). Giant kudos to them.

One could say, “It’s just a fashion magazine. It’s not a serious publication,” and write off their inclusion of Elmusa’s piece as inconsequential. And in a way, I’d say that’s partially correct. But in a more important way, it’s wrong. My assumption is that Elle has a huge readership. Elmusa’s piece is readable, short, and on point. It’s entirely likely that thousands (maybe tens of thousands…) of people who would have never seen such a thing otherwise, will read her piece. That’s important. I emailed Elle to support their decision to publish it. I’m sure they knew what they were getting into.

RoHa
        November 2, 2015, 6:14 pm

“YES! Pardon my french but Elle has huge balls to publish this article. ”

In the light of what “Elle” means in French, attributing balls seems slightly inappropriate. But I take your point.

gamal
        November 2, 2015, 7:47 pm

“attributing balls seems slightly inappropriate” they keep their husbands balls in their handbags and can deploy them at will, is there some confusion here. (leave the comma he’s not worth it)

jd65
        November 2, 2015, 9:44 pm

@ RoHa. Yeah :) I hear you. But it’s an expression, so I consider it relatively gender neutral in terms of its meaning and use it broadly (pun not intended). To cite an even more crude example of this type of cross-gender expression usage: Demi Moore in GI Jane, anyone? What can I say? My brain is packed w/ 75% film information, 22% Palestine Conflict information, and 3% miscellaneous. It’s funny this came up right now, ‘cuz I’m uploading a ridiculous iMovie edit of Colonel Frank Slade laying into Netanyahu to my youtube channel later tonight. Yes… I’m nothing if not ridiculous.

3. Chu
    Chu
    November 2, 2015, 10:15 am

Are Trolls still using the ‘windows megaphone tool’ to bombard comment sections today? It was certainly a great idea to skew polls and comments boards, although grossly distorts the general opinion.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
      November 2, 2015, 4:27 pm

I thought the GIYUS ‘megaphone’ was withdrawn a few years ago?

I’m guessing though that there is some mechanism (probably just Twitter feeds or something similar) whereby the hasbarists know when to rush to the rescue of Zion. Someone else mentioned how Guardian threads on Israel tend to be reasonable enough for the first hour or so, and are then suddenly inundated with hasbarists posting the same tired ‘arguments’. I also remmeber that on the Guardian, posts by certain hasbarists used to get huge numbers of ‘recommends’ – often in the hundreds – even when there were only a handful of people posting and most did not agree with them. It was comical – every time you’d refresh the page the ‘recommend’ count would go up exponentially!

You’d think it was an organised effort or something weird like that.

Chu
        November 6, 2015, 4:04 pm

Yes, of course there are plenty of other ways to use a new styled ‘megaphone’.
        But the megaphone shows the corrupt nature of skewing polls to favor
        apartheid-ville. Anything to outsmart, and lacks integrity to the greater populace is a win for Israel. Most people don’t get that this is how it works, but how else could such a minority win such great portions of support? It isn’t magic, but it’s definitely tricks.

4. John Douglas
    John Douglas
    November 2, 2015, 10:45 am

Thank you, Annie. Ms. Elmusa’s article accomplishes two things. It demonstrates the humanity of a Palestinian woman, despite all the propaganda to the contrary. And it attracts to the surface the racism that allows the rulers in Israel (and their American supporters) to treat Palestinians as they do.

CigarGod
      November 2, 2015, 11:17 am

Good points, John.
      As I read your comment my mind imagined a farmer’s market where vendors displayed their products. Karmah displayed beautiful and fragrant fruits with a girl next door smile and manner. Across the isle was a dark and unkept stall and man…turning over his fruit to hide the blotches…while loudly proclaiming to all who passed that they were the best. He could be heard whispering to people that the girl across the way was bad.

eljay
        November 2, 2015, 11:27 am

|| CigarGod @ November 2, 2015, 11:17 am ||

Watch out, Annie! It looks like you’ve got a contender here for your “Graceful Writing” title! ;-)

CigarGod
        November 2, 2015, 3:20 pm

Ha!
        I embrace the influence of a warrior like Annie.

5. DBRoss
    DBRoss
    November 2, 2015, 11:01 am

Will someone please explain Hasbara Fellowships to me and if it is them who put out the call for dozens of trolls to pile up on a story’s comment section and just open up a can of nasty.
    Is this a tactic? Do they think people with opposing views needs to be drowned out? And do they really think their vile language doesn’t reflect badly on Israel.
    I could be wrong. I commented early on in the publication of that article, and it seemed like there were varying voices being heard. Then, suddenly, it was 12-20 anti-palestinian comments in a row. And it just continued to be trolled for hours.
    Elle Magazine suddenly became Frontpage Magazine and Pamela Geller’s crew descended like a black cloud.

Laurent Weppe
      November 2, 2015, 2:16 pm

I don’t think it’s deliberate: it’s just the zealots taking over the asylum.

a blah chick
      November 2, 2015, 2:24 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me if someone has the job of putting out the word to “flood the comments.” You can get lessons in hasbara and there is even a manual. These people are organized.

annie
      November 2, 2015, 3:01 pm

DBRoss, one time i published (in a comment) a link to a job opening at tip or one of the other israel advocacy centers. they were looking for an online specialist and co ordinator. the way it likely works is they put out feelers for hasbara fellowships http://www.hasbarafellowships.org/ then cull the members for the most versatile and adept/dedicated or whatever ones talents are. these leaders are then (paid, it’s a job) assigned whole mailing lists who send out uniform talking pts likely on a daily basis (this is why the responses are so overused).

for example (hypothetically), the instance of the man who was killed in the synagogue last summer and recently succumbed to his wounds. jon inserted this into a comment thread countering the story. then he posted another comment about him but not in the same subthread. then again and again — all new subthreads. by doing this a long slew of subthreads again and again were about this man. therefore anyone commenting on the article’s content (the execution of dania, 17), would be posting below that. this is a tactic. and initiating the discussion of this man was likely done on the same day in many places in the same way. (i am just using this as an example) this is how it’s done. the point being to shift the focus and divert from the topic and flood the online community with sympathetic pro israel hasbara and then demand or elicit condemnation of palestinian violence. and this turns the onus on pro p supporters to either back down (not condemn – and be condemned for doing so) or step up to condemning palestinian violence. (like this : http://mondoweiss.net/2015/11/killed-palestinians-october/comment-page-1#comment-807496 ) see where the focus is? it’s a win win for israeli hasbara because the topic becomes the condemnation of palestinian (not israeli) violence. (and this is a repeat tactic used here, you should all be familiar with it)

also, extremely inflammatory discourse is very tactical and very deliberate because it incites the ‘opposing team’ to respond accordingly. to get them angry and use angry voices countering the incitement. like FU! or something like that. these kinds of (uber gross) inciting tactics, for the most part, can’t be used on MW because we have moderators. of course, it doesn’t mean all pro israel voices are funded — at all.

a lot can be learned by reading ‘Common Dreams’ website traps Hasbara troll spewing anti-Semitism – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2014/08/hasbara-spewing-semitism#sthash.90eg9mdM.dpuf

imho this person was most certainly a paid agent. now note that even tho he was jewish and pro israel his voice spewing anti semitism could be inserted into a conversation as if it was countering the inciting zionist voices (which were also his). it creates a ‘both sides’ are jerks narrative but mostly it’s used to demonstrate how vile bds activists are and things like that. plus to completely discourage regular (pro p) voices from entering into the fray. but elle requires a Facebook identity to post there which other sites don’t do, so that makes it much more challenging to get away w/this crap.

i am sure there are many many people who do not get paid, but many do.

annie
        November 2, 2015, 3:11 pm

one last thing. extremely hostile, lurid, insulting and angry pro palestine advocacy is very damaging to the movement. the worst of it gets censored here and there’s nothing that make me more suspicious (psyops agents) than anonymous jew haters. like that common dreams article. fake pro palestine agents exist.

a blah chick
        November 2, 2015, 3:27 pm

“…this person was most certainly a paid agent. now note that even tho he was jewish and pro israel his voice spewing anti semitism could be inserted into a conversation as if it was countering the inciting zio voices (which were also his)”

I’ve encountered these suspicious “voices” on twitter as well.

MaxNarr
        November 4, 2015, 2:42 am

eljay
        November 4, 2015, 8:37 am

|| MaxNarr: … People always accuse Jews of being in a cabal, a conspiracy, paying others to do their dirty work … ||

1. No, some people sometimes accuse [all] Jews of being in a cabal, a conspiracy, paying others to do their dirty work. This is wrong, and I condemn it.

2. Some Jews sometimes accuse [all] people of being anti-Semitic and Jew-hating. This is also wrong, and I condemn it, too.

3. Some Jews – Zio-supremacist Jews, for example – are in fact in a cabal, a conspiracy, paying others to do their dirty work. Some Zio-supremacist Jews do their own dirty work, while other Zio-supremacist Jews merely “hold their noses” and cheer on their hardier co-collectivists.

4. Non- or anti-Zionist Jews, by contrast, advocate justice, accountability and equality.

|| … Your people are murderers, your co-conspirators are Jew haters … ||

See what I mean?

|| … Jerusalem, the eternal capital of the Jewish people. ||

But it isn’t. It’s a Free City, currently under military occupation by an oppressive, colonialist, expansionist and religion-supremacist state.

jd65
        November 4, 2015, 11:58 am

@ MaxNarr, who writes this:

“@Annie, the fact that you had to dedicate so many paragraphs to this shows the mental gymnastics you have to do to repress the natural feeling of remorse for your words and deeds. People always accuse Jews of being in a cabal, a conspiracy, paying others to do their dirty work, JIDF and megaphone shills.

The fact of the matter is, no matter how many paragraphs you use to try to suppress it: Your people are murderers, your co-conspirators are Jew haters, and you can’t even bring yourself to condemn the murder of the elderly and children for the “crime” of living in Jerusalem, the eternal capital of the Jewish people.”

It’s a given that on any given day, one can go to the internet and find limitless nonsense written on the Israel-Palestine conflict. Some days it gets to me, others I can somewhat let it go and realize a posting on an internet forum is likely not something to get too worked up over. And I guess I’m having a pretty mellow day today, because right now, reading that post from MaxNarr is actually making me laugh. That shit is so ridiculous you just gotta laugh. I mean just off the charts. What a goof…

John O
      November 2, 2015, 3:12 pm

I’m sure that it is deliberate. Here in the UK we have Zionist websites such as Media Watch targeting the Guardian newspaper and the BBC. I take part in some of the BTL “discussions” (deliberate use of ironic quote marks) as “secretarybird”, and I know you’ve got to get your posts in early to make your points before the hasbaristas wreck any chance of reasoned debate.

“Do they think people with opposing views needs to be drowned out?” They most certainly do. How else can you defend the indefencible?

Maximus Decimus Meridius
        November 2, 2015, 3:20 pm

“Here in the UK we have Zionist websites such as Media Watch targeting the Guardian newspaper and the BBC ”

Which is bizarre, as both outlets are now thoroughly Zionist. Did you see the ‘editorial’ in the Johnathan Freedland Guardian a few days ago? It basically read like an Israeli government statement, down to blaming the ‘Arab’ attacks on Facebook, and excusing the deaths of all ‘Arabs’ as self-defence.

These days, I don’t bother to comment – the censorship is so absurd that you could spend ages writing a carefully worded post and seeking out links to support it, and then 10 minutes later you’ll find it has been deleted, even though it did not violate their ‘community standards’. I don’t even read the comments anymore, as I know I’ll get so angry and feel the urge to comment, and then get sucked into a pointless hasbara ‘cycle of online violence’.

John O
        November 2, 2015, 4:16 pm

@MDM

“you could spend ages writing a carefully worded post and seeking out links to support it, and then 10 minutes later you’ll find it has been deleted, even though it did not violate their ‘community standards.'”

I know what you mean, MDM.

My solution is not to spend ages on a carefully worded post, but to have relevant links bookmarked and get in a short post with links ASAP. A lot of what the hasbaristas post is so predictable, you can refute it easily – but you’ve got to be, as the US civil war general said, “the fustest with the mostest”.

straightline
        November 2, 2015, 7:09 pm

Agreed MDM –

Read the entire article to see names of more former and existing BBC employees who are openly pro=Zionist.

Imagine the uproar if a BBC employee signed a letter in support of Palestinians. The BBC has totally lost me for news.

Talking of comments – if you want a laugh (I laughed anyway) – go and read the comments here:

They make the local hasbarists appear relatively sane. I use the word “relatively” advisedly. I

traintosiberia
        November 2, 2015, 8:02 pm

The comments Guardian used to block or delete in and around 2001-2003 now frequently do make it to the comments sections . Still it has a long way to go. It deletes even the quotes of Churchill with links and doesn’t allow even those references which are sourced in British archives!

CigarGod
      November 2, 2015, 3:31 pm

My guess is someone sends the story out to a group of known flying monkeys. These known monkeys are known to be associated with groups of other known unknown flying monkeys. The monkeys then compete with each other in a one-up’s-man-ship feeding frenzy. This accounts for bloody, but nonsensical, zombie-like sounds coming from each monkey…deposit.

homingpigeon
      November 3, 2015, 10:23 pm

This article really did crank up the hasbara machine. Here’s a link to the confessions of a hasbarist: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=703_1395673895 This article got about 20 hasbarist comments before getting the first supportive one. What I notice is that what they lack in sophistication of argument is made up for with the sheer volume of barrage. There are several people who come across as having a compulsive disorder, spending what must be the entire day watching the site to pounce on any supportive comment. I checked the profiles, and some are real people and some really do look like fake individuals who exist only to carry out this sort of work.

• November 4, 2015, 1:32 pm

Nah, these people in their hearts have no idea or appreciatian of a homeland. The moment Israel govermnent collapses most will scurry to the US UK or Australia.

As for the remaining poor Israeli fools who will be stuck there clueless and directionless after the fall, I believe they should be given a conditional offer to remain in Palestine. They can stay only if they explicitly and formally denounce every tenants of Zionism and proclaim the Palestinians as the indigenous people of Palestine.

6. Ossinev
    Ossinev
    November 2, 2015, 11:54 am

Kay24

Thank you . A timely reminder that it is not not long now until the 50th anniversary of the attack on the USS Liberty and hopefully the survivors and relatives of the survivors are planning a major commemoration which will serve as a testimony to the “special” nature of the relationship between America and poor old fallible to” mistakes” Israel. They will I hope continue to question the lack of a Congressional inquiry, leading up to and beyond the anniversary date, and here at Mondoweiss we can help them by consistently raising the issue nearer to the date.

As for poor old misunderstood,victimised ” I did for the Love of Israel and not for the money” Mr.Pollard things have gone quiet recently. Am really looking forward to the day he is released and particularly his return as a feted hero to to his beloved ” homeland”. Just fascinating to contemplate how the NYT and the US TV media will spin that particular little hot potato.

John O
      November 2, 2015, 3:16 pm

Yes. The 50th anniversary of the six-day war is certain to produce a deluge of books and documentary films exposing the lies and distortions of the Israeli narrative that has hitherto held sway.

homingpigeon
      November 3, 2015, 10:31 pm

It has come to my attention that there is an unfortunate stream of thought in certain segments of the peace and justice community that the Liberty incident is not worthy of mention, and one can get badly dissed for doing so. It seems to be based on the notion that these were just imperialist tools anyway and deserved whatever fate came their way, be it deliberate or accidental. And as some militarist and nativist types and anti-Semites have taken up the cause of the Liberty, decent people should not. I have found myself arguing for empathy for the predicament of the sailors on a Palestine Solidarity site against some infantile leftists.

jd65
        November 4, 2015, 12:04 pm

Keep at it homingpigeon. You’re doing the right thing.

7. Citizen
    Citizen
    November 2, 2015, 12:48 pm

When I read that article on the Elle Magazine website I was so happy somebody actually put out the fresh girl-next door face of this charming yet ordinary young Palestinian-American–torn inside as anyone would be if standing in her shoes. Then I read the comments below it. Truly frightening, and oh, so ugly, so hate-filled. I doubt any low level Nazi thug could match them. And they grow up in America just like the wonderful girl they despise.. How can this be?

amigo
      November 2, 2015, 3:00 pm

Citizen, one commenter reminded her , she is an American and should act like one and if not she should f–f to Palestine .T he same commenter had denied the existence of Palestine just a few posts earlier”.It,s a bit rich to hear a zionist Jewish American spouting off about “Dual Loyalty” to a Palestinian.

annie
        November 2, 2015, 3:14 pm

one person flat out said she wasn’t arab! there were so many ugly comments to choose from.

amigo
        November 2, 2015, 3:39 pm

Indeed Annie.

I checked that Linda Levitan –Deaf Life .I wonder if those in her care know what kind of a person they have in their midst.She is pure evil.

annie
        November 2, 2015, 6:39 pm

i agree, she’s really repugnant amigo. but alas, i don’t think she’s pure evil. i don’t endow my ideological opponents that much psychological or (anti) spiritual power. i think of them as very low power beings infested with psychological scabs and wounds (metaphorically). just on another level of consciousness. whereas, a pure evil type being would have more darth vader like qualities, emanating a power and strength that engender fear. needless to say, i can’t imagine ever fearing ms levitan. although i might consider pitying her, if i were a more gracious being or on one of my better days.

RoHa
        November 2, 2015, 8:31 pm

“one person flat out said she wasn’t arab!”

I would agree. She is an American of Palestinian ancestry and with current family connection to Palestine. I can’t see anything wrong with saying that.

But loyalty to America does not prevent her from having a concern for Palestine, and being American does not require her to act like an American Jew whose real loyalty is to Israel.

Kay24
      November 2, 2015, 4:07 pm

The viciousness in many forms is obvious. The nazis did not have the internet, and mostly operated from within parts o Europe. The hasbrats and rabid zionists, have occupied many websites all around the world, and operate from all four corners of it, which is much worse.
      To think some of them are being PAID to be so vicious!

8. DaBakr
    DaBakr
    November 2, 2015, 2:25 pm

this has got to be an online version of this magazine. someone close to me is in the fashion biz and i get to see most EU and US women/mens fashion rags on monthly basis and never would a print editor allow such garbage to be posted in letters section. Online however? Any garbage flies. All it proves is there are ranting and raving ignoramus’s trolling the internet. They are by no means restricted to the I/P conflict and branch out to everything from gender to brand loyalties. People are evil or idiots or both.

John O
      November 2, 2015, 3:24 pm

“…never would a print editor allow such garbage to be posted in letters section”

True but irrelevant, as the North Vietnamese general said to the American general who told him that the NVA never defeated the US Army in a pitched battle. If you choose to publish online, then you must accept that you will have a level of feedback undreamed of in the print era.

BTW – If you consider fashion magazines to be “rags”, what are you doing reading them in such forensic detail?

DaBakr
        November 2, 2015, 9:47 pm

@jo

1) “rags” are just the euphemism that many mags (printed from paper mash-or rag) they are referred to. Its not pejorative. haute couture is referred to as ‘rags’ or the ‘rag business’ in an another affectionate euphemism.

Mooser
        November 2, 2015, 10:44 pm

“haute couture is referred to as ‘rags’ or the ‘rag business’”

No, not at all. It’s ready-to-wear and cheaper garments, referred to as “schmattas

Mooser
      November 2, 2015, 3:29 pm

“People are evil or idiots or both.”

So, uh, where do you fit into those categories? Never mind, I’m already sorry I asked.

DaBakr
        November 2, 2015, 9:51 pm

@ms

you should be. I’ll let it pass this time.

Mooser
        November 2, 2015, 10:37 pm

Gee, is that as clever as the Mods will let you be?

amigo
      November 2, 2015, 3:31 pm

“this has got to be an online version of this magazine. someone close to me is in the fashion biz and i get to see most EU and US women/mens fashion rags on monthly basis and never would a print editor allow such garbage to be posted in letters section. – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/11/karmah-elmusa-magazine#comment-156486” dabakr.

Pro Palestinian commenter’s posting facts is not garbage dabakr.Even though you think it is.

DaBakr
        November 2, 2015, 9:52 pm

@am

i understand you are confused so i forgive your discombobulation .

Mooser
        November 2, 2015, 10:39 pm

“i understand you are confused…”

I’ll explain. Dabakr is saying that all the comments from rabid Zionists disparaging the Palestinian girl are the “garbage”.

Next he will tell us that all of those people don’t exist, it’s only Palestinians trying to make Zionists look bad.

ckg
      November 2, 2015, 7:58 pm

…ranting and raving ignoramus’s trolling…

DaBakr, I think you’re projecting again.

annie
      November 2, 2015, 11:25 pm

dabkr, elle has this article prominently featured in one of only 5 top slots on it’s culture/politics home page http://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/

take a look. and as you scroll down the page you can read about hillary clinton, trump, Amy Schumer Calls for Stricter Gun Control Legislation, obama, oprah.. it goes on and on. but karmah elmusa’s photo and the link to her article is right up with the top stories. paul ryan, china …etc.

elle magazine has a strong online presents with a global ranking of 2,156 and a US ranking of 924 . http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/elle.com

do you now what that means? it means the online traffic is a LOT more than their monthly paper circulation (1 mil total — 44k delivered subscriptions monthly).

and you know what else, i think it’s so cool you have a friend close to you in the fashion business. you read a lot of fashion magazines (and for free!). that’s impressive.

inbound39
        November 3, 2015, 12:03 am

I think many perhaps will now grasp dabkr’s problem. Lights on…no-one home.

CigarGod
        November 3, 2015, 3:48 am

Haaaa! Tears of laughter.
        The revolution is over and digital won in a landslide, in every way.
        Our print paper has 3000 subscritions per week. Online, 20,000 hits a day.
        Get with it, DaBakr!

9. Marnie
    Marnie
    November 3, 2015, 12:20 am

Karmah Elmusa sure knows where she lives – “I can seamlessly blend into a culturally white world, never being subjected to that split-second suspicion and judgment that so many Arab-Americans deal with daily. My complexion has afforded me a very privileged life here” – and the resultant struggle with the reality of that privilege. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of the vitriol she received was because of that comment too. Too many Americans choose to ignore or play down this very significant point and become angry when this fact is pointed out to them. Whereas Israelis are now “proud to be racist”, which is the obvious outcome of zionist ideology.

10. Peter in SF
    Peter in SF
    November 3, 2015, 2:01 am

Ron Katz, a system architect at Cisco says he would “love to believe there are Arabs who can conduct a civilized conversation and not just talk with knives.” He should get out more!

Or just look at his own employers. Cisco’s new Vice President, Growth Initiatives and Chief of Staff to its CEO is an Arab. A Palestinian, no less.
    Needless to say, she’s used to this kind of bigotry. And as Mr. Katz knows, nothing will happen to him as a result of posting it.

11. Kathleen
    Kathleen
    November 3, 2015, 12:51 pm

The majority of comments in support of the piece. Alex is sure busy over there trying to hold back the wave of support. Someone with the expertise and time could easily deconstruct what Alex is over there repeating Pile on…links to mondoweiss, UN resolutions…another opportunity to pile on and educate with the facts

Yes racist, bigoted comments however the majority in support. About time Elle opens up…better late than never…yes!

Avalanche of justice has to come…eventually

Thanks Annie and those who alerted Annie. G

12. Kathleen
    Kathleen
    November 3, 2015, 12:52 pm

Avalanche of justice has to come…eventually

Thanks Annie and to those who alerted Annie.