NYU pro-Israel group blocks public from IDF terrorism talk at last minute

Activism

The Israeli Prime Minister is in New York today trying to convince the world that the Israeli occupation is the front line against terrorism.

I expect from the international community a uniform standard in the war on terrorism.

The heroism of our soldiers, our police officers and our citizens, who are waging an uncompromising struggle against brutal terrorism.

The Prime Minister is not alone in these efforts. Pro-Israel students at NYU Law School put up a public notice for a talk by an Israel Defense Forces captain yesterday evening on his “long experience” battling terrorism– in the occupied West Bank.

“Lone Wolf Terrorism and Social Media.”
Please join the Law Students for Israel in welcoming Captain Nativ in a discussion of social media and lone wolf terrorism, based on his long experience in the Israeli Defense Forces. We will be serving kosher wine and light refreshments.

I wrote to the law student contact on the notice Monday to make sure I could go. She said:

Hi Phil, no need to register but I will put you down on our RSVP list – it helps us, and if there is any issue of getting in then it is helpful! Thanks and looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

But when I got to the law school at 5 o’clock, along with Todd Pierce of the New School, the guard told us we weren’t on the list and couldn’t go. I checked my email. My contact had sent her regrets three hours before, after I’d set out on the two-hour trip to NYU:

Hi Phil,

Unfortunately we have had to close the event to the public. Thank you,

“I’m here Sarah. Any chance I can get in after all?” I wrote to her.

I’m sorry but the event is only for students.

Oh well; had to pay for my own wine. But the defeat wasn’t mine. Here is the simple mission statement of the NYU Law Students for Israel:

Those law students just offered an important lesson in accountability. The heroic Israeli story of fighting terrorism is beginning to crumble, so much so that pro-Israel law students at one of our country’s premier institutions who are dedicated to “open” discourse don’t want to risk exposing that story to public scrutiny.

Thanks to Scott Roth.

philweiss

1. a blah chick
    a blah chick
    September 21, 2016, 10:07 am

“The heroic Israeli story of fighting terrorism is beginning to crumble, so much so that pro-Israel law students at one of our country’s premier institutions who are dedicated to “open” discourse don’t want to risk exposing that story to public scrutiny. ”

Apparently Truth is anti-semitic.

2. pabelmont
    pabelmont
    September 21, 2016, 11:06 am

Did you try to get any non-pro-IDF STUDENTS to go? Maybe it was closed to them, too.

3. Steve Grover
    Steve Grover
    September 21, 2016, 3:45 pm

“The mission of Law Students for Israel is to facilitate open and honest discourse and debate centering around legal and humanitarian issues pertaining to Israeli policy.”

oldgeezer
      September 21, 2016, 3:57 pm

@Grover

Spot on Steve. The Chicago Outfit doesn’t let DoJ prosecutors attend their meetings either.

Mooser
      September 21, 2016, 4:32 pm

“This is the reason why Weiss wasn’t let in. He infringes upon open and honest discourse and debate centering around legal and humanitarian issues pertaining to Israeli policy.”

Steve Grover
        September 22, 2016, 11:47 am

“That’s right “Grover” all Phil Weiss has to do is raise one eyebrow, and the entire Sabbatean schtik comes crashing back to earth.”

Sez my sock pupik.

talknic
      September 21, 2016, 7:31 pm

@ Steve Grover September 21, 2016, 3:45 pm

“This is the reason why Weiss wasn’t let in. He infringes upon open and honest discourse and debate centering around legal and humanitarian issues pertaining to Israeli policy”

How strange. The reason given by the law student contact was the event had been closed to the public and he isn’t a student

False accusations are against the basic common sense tenets of Judaism. Resorting to false accusations in support of the Jewish State’s illegal activities is really quite bizarre

Mooser
        September 22, 2016, 3:56 pm

“The fact that so many of Steve’s kind are willing to breaking the basic tenets of Judaism is indicative of just how low they’re willing to sink”

When I read that, my breakfast sausage turned to ashes in my mouth.

talknic
        September 22, 2016, 10:09 pm

Sure it wasn’t your tongue turning to ashes?

amigo
        September 25, 2016, 1:01 pm

“Thanks Steve for showing folk that idiotic supporters of the ongoing Zionist colonization of Palestine will say anything, no matter how bizarre or inaccurate. “talknic.

As they say, “show me who you hang around with and I will show you who you are “.

Hopknee,s only mistake is the choice of company he keeps. If he employed a more selective choice of company he just might be a perfectly normal person.Sadly , I suspect it is a tad late.

lonely rico
      September 23, 2016, 1:09 pm

> Grover does irony –

He (Weiss) infringes upon open and honest discourse and debate …

posted on Weiss’ site.

4. AddictionMyth
    AddictionMyth
    September 21, 2016, 6:44 pm

The anti-BDS rhetoric is becoming increasingly shrill and desperate. Among the talking points are that BDS is intimidating people and refusing to engage in debate and violating various state regulations on religious discrimination. So now it is turning into a witch hunt against them. Thanks again for exposing it. (Not that I support BDS – I just oppose witch hunts because they can lead to war.)

5. Boris
    Boris
    September 21, 2016, 10:46 pm

Why don’t you shlep to Berkeley? They would welcome you there with open arms. No RSVP required.

6. a blah chick
    a blah chick
    September 24, 2016, 11:40 am

The trouble with banning Steve (he’s a disgrace to the name) Grover is that his opinions are sadly mainstream in Zionist discourse. We have our work cut out for us.