Why is Illinois congressman point man on Freeman attack?

Felson writes:
This leapt out at me in Ben Smith's coverage of Freeman's withdrawal:

But Rep. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.), one of Freeman's leading critics, said the appointee could have "withstood" the attacks on policy grounds, but ultimately was torpedoed by the fact that he headed an institute funded by Saudi royalty and sat on the board of a Chinese state oil company.

This is textbook. Kirk is running for the U.S. Senate in Illinois next year. It's a brutally expensive race, especially for a Republican, who has to deal with the state's Democratic bent. That he chose to take the lead on this issue, which matters next to nothing to the average Illinois voter, is telling.

Posted in Israel Lobby, Israel/Palestine, Neocons, US Policy in the Middle East, US Politics

{ 18 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Mike says:

Shouldnt Dennis Ross et al also have their positioned torpedoed because of their ties to Israeli think thanks or Israel for that matter?

This double standard is killing America.

2. Dan Kelly says:

Yes it is, Mike. Yes it is.

3. seethelight says:

RE: Rep. Mark Kirk

Because Kirk was a senior staffer to House International Relations Committee chairman Ben Gilman (R-NY) when the Republicans took over Congress in 1995 after the Gingrich revolution. Gilman was among the most virulent Zionists in the Congress.

4. Mikey likes it! says:

No, Mikey, Israelis didn't carry out the 9/11 attacks.

5. Mike says:

Mikey likes it, are you done sucking Liberman's **** yet, Schumer is waiting!

6. Chris Berel says:

Text book antisemitic treatment. Ross has done nothing for a potential enemy of the US, unlike working for the saudis (origination of 9/11?) and the Chinese (Harassing our navy ring a bell? Taiwan mean anything to you?)

And as for the interests of the people in illinois… Is Philip dictating their interests? Sounds a little fascist to me.

7. Jim Haygood says:

Mark Kirk isn't Jewish. But his Democratic opponent in the last election cycle was. And Mark Kirk — catering to his all-important Jewish constituency — had a proxy trash his Jewish Democrat opponent as 'anti-semitic.' No, I'm not making this up –

————

Mark Kirk is a Republican congressman from the Chicago area — the district he represents voted for Kerry in 2004 and Gore in 2000. A key reason he has been able to win re-election is that he has aggressively wooed Jewish Democrats and has succeeded just enough to win re-election three times.

This election cycle, Mark Kirk has a problem, and that problem is me. I'm running for his seat — and frankly speaking, I'm his worse nightmare.

I'm a Jewish Democrat, supportive of Israel's security needs and absolutely certain of the need for a much more intelligent national security policy than the one we have (the one Mark Kirk keeps rubber-stamping). I'm also a strong progressive on social and economic policies — I was raised by a single mom, so I know what it's like to live paycheck-to-paycheck and what it means to get even a small scholarship to college. A lot of people in the 10th district believe what I believe — plenty, I think, to turn the seat around next year.

What do all Republicans do when they can't beat you on the issues? They try to beat you with your own biography.

They did it to Max Cleland.

They did it to John Kerry.

And they are trying to do it to me.

Here's how it played out: Last weekend, I attended the YearlyKos Convention in Chicago — something I very much enjoyed. I saw many old friends there and I made many new ones. I saw a whole convention filled with people who are passionate about their politics and their country.

Let's face it: Considering the cynicism and disinterest in most corners of American politics, it was refreshing to see a convention hall full of people who all paid their own way to Chicago to meet and talk about the future of this country.

Just as the convention ended, one of Congressman Kirk's most ardent supporters, a guy named Andy Lappin, sent an email to a long list of recipients, calling me anti-Semitic for attending the YearlyKos convention. That's right — he said I wasn't Jewish enough. So what was that bris all about?

link to huffingtonpost.com

————

What can one conclude about Mark Kirk, from Jay Footlik's account — that he's a seedy, amoral panderer? Sounds close enough for government work. Let's go with it.

8. Dan Kelly says:

No, Mikey, Israelis didn't carry out the 9/11 attacks.

9. Dan Kelly says:

Thanks for the info, Jim. The story gets more interesting…

10. KXB says:

Mark Kirk's opponent in November 2008 was a black Democrat named Dan Seals – not a Jew. What is depressing about this is that while Kirk won his district at the House level, Obama won that same district at the Presidential level – meaning voters split their ticket. I readily admit I was one of those split-ticket voters in Kirk's district. I have always believed in divided government, but I wanted Kirk to keep excessive spending by Obama in check, not blocking the appointment of stellar public officials to a region of the world where we are being ill-served by the status quo.

Kirk will not get my vote again in 2010.

11. Chris Berel says:

5 israelis as compared the the thosands of palestinians who danced in the streets, weeping for joy that the Americans were dead.

This is great! All of Phgil's phools secret antisemites announce themselves at one time. Will Kelly and Murray ever expect anyone to take any of their posts seriously? really? With a straight face?

12. USS Liberty survivor says:

After the attacks on New York and Washington, the former Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, was asked what the terrorist strikes would mean for US-Israeli relations. He said: “It’s very good.” Then he corrected himself, adding: “Well, it’s not good, but it will generate immediate sympathy [for Israel from Americans].”

13. PHIL: "Why is Illinois congressman [Mark Kirk] point man on Freeman attack?"

ME: "…[Max] Blumenthal further noted that the leader of the anti-Freeman crusade in the House, Rep. Mark Kirk, is Congress' top recipient of AIPAC donations…"
    SOURCE – link to salon.com

14. David T says:

Kirk's North Shore congressional district has a substnatial Jewish vote in such suburbs as Highland Park, Deerfield, Buffalo Grove, etc.

15. Rowan says:

"No, Mikey, Israelis didn't carry out the 9/11 attacks." They only filmed it, cheered as it happened, and went on Israeli TV and announced they were there to document to it. Posted by: Dan Kelly | March 10, 2009 at 06:26 PM

I tried to respond to this, but my response vanished. I shall try again, without mentioning any names this time, and just say, anyone who thinks that three skyscrapers fell down because they were hit by two planes is utterly and totally brainwashed. If I leave it at that, maybe I won't get deleted this time.

16. Dan Kelly says:

I agree. I have avoided delving into it here, because this isn't the proper forum for it, and I don't want to steer the conversations away from the important work Phil and Adam are doing (I've seen other sites where the initial conversation is just completely taken over by 911 bickering).

I was pretty involved with the investigations into 911 for some time, but I decided to turn my attention more towards this issue. I was also turned off by a lot of the "911 truthers" in that so many (including some of the more prominent authors on the subject) acted as if they knew exactly what happened, who was involved, etc. I never saw any overwhelming evidence that would lead me to come to such definitive conclusions.

What was overwhelming was the fact that the buildings, as you say, didn't come down due to the planes (building 7 alone is enough evidence to call for a new investigation).

I still check in with patriotsquestion911 and some other sites from time to time, and I am curious to see what comes of the 911 ballot initiative: NYC 911 Ballot Initiative

17. Take down Kirk! says:

Kirk can and must be beaten in 2010.
    Here is his district map:
    link to dansealsforcongress.com

The north shore burbs (Winnetka, Glencoe, Northbrook, Highland Park, Deerfield) are heavily Jewish. But the district also includes Arlington Heights, Prospect Heights, Waukegan, Libertyville – very large, middle class suburbs that are mostly protestant with a lot of immigrants. I think Dan Seals was too "elitist" – he was like the North Side Obama; a Northwestern professor, too moderate, not very authentic.

This district could probably be won by pressure from the right (by an independent or libertarian?) to weaken support from semi-serious Republicans, by highlighting Kirk's vote for the bailout and extreme views on the GWOT. This isn't a strong Republican district, but I don't think it's a strong "Obama" district. The Dems need to run someone who appeals to the middle class – tough, streetwise, vaguely european – like the democratic Judy Baar Topinka or the non-felon Rod Blagojevich.