Olbermann seeks non-IDF version of events

Keith did it last night. Had on as guest Edward Peck, the deputy director of the terrorism task force in the Reagan administration and passenger on one of the ships of the flotilla. Olbermann was skeptical of Israeli claims. Peck said the Israeli soldiers had boarded his smaller boat (not the Mavi Marmara, where the killings took place) with machine guns at the ready, plus helmets and night gear, though nobody on board had any weapon that he could see. They broke into the cabin where some passengers had retreated to protect the ship. He indicated that the soldiers used more violence than was necessary. Olbermann asked what Peck made of the idea that the IDF acted in self-defense. Peck replied that this was turning language upside down. The protesters were defending their ship; they had done nothing hostile to Israel. It was the IDF soldiers who attacked.

Olbermann: "In America now, it seems there are only two positions. If you support Israel, you have to support everything Israel does. If not, they say you’re against the existence of Israel. What do you think?" Peck replied that this either/or was wrong; some things Israel did were bad for the Palestinians, bad for America, and bad for Israel.

I never saw anything like it before on American TV: an interviewer criticizing Israel, person interviewed also criticizing Israel–both Americans.

1. Taxi
    June 3, 2010, 9:10 am

I know one should be grateful for small mercies, but I think I’ll start to get happy again with Keith if he covers the MV Rachel Corrie’s arrival to Gaza waters without prejudice. Indeed, if he gave his microphone to a member of the Corrie family for commentary – now THAT would impress me.

I need to see, as rightly commented on another mondo story, a “consistent” pattern of direct truth telling first.

Not to sound cynical though – I am very happy that Peck is being welcomed to do the rounds by the mean-spirited usual suspects.

2. Debonnaire
    June 3, 2010, 12:04 pm

Of course, if Israel were to nuke Milwaukee tomorrow, Rachel Maddow would devote the entire hour to “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”. The Mossad could kidnap her on Saturday, shear both her arms off with a machete and she’d wear a sleeveless dress with a mezzuzah around her neck. She’s quite the human rights activist.

• demize
      June 4, 2010, 2:45 am

Yeah, yeah, you’ve got that right. She irritates me to no end. She used to do some pretty good stuff in The Nation a few years back, now she’s just a DNC shil. Olbermann I kind of always liked, needs to stop with the day count of when Bush declared victory and start the count of how many days since Obama has kept troops in, Iraq, Afghanistan, but of course he won’t. His show has become tiresome since its not an oppositional platform, but nowhere near as annoying as what follows him.

• Chaos4700
      June 4, 2010, 2:52 am

I am somewhat disappointed in Rachel Maddow as well. She’s very hawkish for a liberal. Which I suppose is what made her perfect for migration to cable news, if they were going to tolerate any sort of liberal at all (Olbermann, after all, only “outed” himself as a liberal on his program after he got beat over the head for merely trying to be objective)

3. Chaos4700
    June 4, 2010, 2:50 am

I am compelled to also point out that Keith Olbermann is a Jewish American, to boot.

• demize
      June 4, 2010, 3:16 am

Is he really? Must be of German anscestry. He seems about as “Jewish” as I am, meaning not very. I mean his aspect for what its worth.

• Homer
      June 4, 2010, 4:36 am

Chaos, when I checked Olbermann’s Wikipedia entry a couple of weeks ago, it indicated that he was of non-Jewish German descent. Where did you get your info that he is Jewish?

I think it is still true that many “white” people you see on TV are not Jewish. I know I’ve seen several.

• Chu
      June 4, 2010, 9:29 am

Chaos, I checked and he was raised Unitarian, which is light protestantism.

4. thankgodimatheist
    June 4, 2010, 3:43 am

I guess one has to be content with as little as that. What an utterly disgusting environment..Whether in the US or Australia (or France for that matter).