Viral IDF dancing video unwittingly reveals reality in Hebron

The above video has been an internet sensation. Originally called "Rock the Casbah in HEBRON," it’s been viewed over 1.6 million times, and was featured today on Yahoo’s homepage.  It has also drawn the wrath of IDF officials who say the soldiers involved could face disciplinary action.

Funny enough, it seems the video might be raising questions for casual viewers about where exactly these soldiers are, and why there is no one on the street? The annotations on the video explain:

Well, Palestinians are not allowed to use Shuhada street, the main thoroughfare of Hebron, which is restricted to settlers.

Israeli settlers, who make up less than 1% of the population of Hebron, are the only ones allowed walking to this street.

The annotations end with a link to another youtube video about the situation in Hebron. Hopefully it gets at least half as many views. Here it is:

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.

No Responses Yet

1. potsherd
    July 7, 2010, 12:35 pm

Of course making them leave all the houses is the idea. Ethnic cleansing.

Yet the perpetrator of this atrocity is invited to the White House to sit in a comfy chair, and Obama walks him back to his car.

• Avi
      July 7, 2010, 7:19 pm

course making them leave all the houses is the idea. Ethnic cleansing.

But, Posherd, it’s not ethnic cleansing. All Israel did was weld the door to that woman’s home shut so that she is forced to climb rooftops to go about her daily life. If she chooses to leave her house for good, that’s her prerogative. The same goes for the Palestinians of the old city in Jerusalem who consistently get a plastic bag full of feces thrown at their balconies or on their windows by the Jewish settlers. And the same applies to the sewage pipes that pour into the drinking water reservoirs of Palestinian villages below them. No one is forcing these Palestinians to leave. It’s not ethnic cleansing, certainly not harassment. It’s just an ….ummm inconvenience.

While we’re on the subject, it’s perfectly reasonable and certainly morally acceptable to take over a few Palestinian homes in Hebron –citing religious dogma as one’s deed — and then proceed to remove Palestinians from surrounding neighborhoods alleging that they pose a security risk.

• LanceThruster
        July 7, 2010, 9:50 pm

It’s such a common ploy. Insert hostile minority residents who are granted special rights, create a “buffer zone”, expand the buffer zone, and eventually the buffer zone will get its own buffer zone, allowing the previous buffer zone to be co-opted outright.

It’s almost as if they planned it that way, but I’m told it’s hateful to think so, worse to express it, and the ultimate outrage to actually establish that such is the case.

2. hayate
    July 7, 2010, 12:54 pm

The israelis party while Palestine bleeds and starves.

• Taxi
      July 7, 2010, 1:09 pm

Just call it the Apartheid Shuffle!

• hayate
        July 7, 2010, 1:12 pm

“Apartheid Shuffle”

There you go, Taxi.

3. Sumud
    July 7, 2010, 1:53 pm

Shuhada Street was only closed after Baruch Goldstein (a Brooklyn-born doctor) machine gunned 180 muslims at prayer in the Cave of the Patriarchs Mosque in 1994, killing 29 and injuring 150 more.

link to openshuhadastreet.org

Goldstein is a hero among certain settlers, his grave a site of pilgrimage and his life and actions celebrated. I’m guessing his supporters are mostly among the families of the 45% of religious students in Israeli schools that think “death to arabs” is a legitimate expression.

Say Barack, what values do Baruch & friends share with the US again? I wonder if the machine gun Goldstein used was gifted to Israel by the US as part of the annual (free) arms bounty.*

*Well, free for Israelis, but costing US taxpayers $3 billion.

• potsherd
      July 7, 2010, 2:32 pm

And they come to US sports stadiums to do fundraisers, taking back millions from US Jews, and no one seems to charge any of them with material support for terrorism.

• unverified__2l99f1a1
      July 13, 2010, 5:11 am

A very very VERY small percentage of Israeli settlers approve of Goldstein. They are called Kahanists and are branded terrorists by the Israeli government.

In fact anyone suspected of such association has their home demolished and is imprisoned from time to time. If nothing can be proved they are released and the whole process starts all over again.

Settlers in Hebron can be a problem, everyone agrees. In fact, post-Goldstein Hebron means much of what the IDF is tasked with doing is protecting the Palestinians from harm when they go into the Cave of the Patriarchs to worship. (the temple shared by both religions where this massacre took place).

The settlers /= the government. They are given a pretty hard time and are just as easily evicted as anyone else if they are living somewhere that isn’t 100% legal.

4. Eva Smagacz
    July 7, 2010, 2:34 pm

For settlers, Dr. Baruch Goldstein is a hero:

Here, settlers are singing a hymn praising him for killing Arabs, video with helpful English subtitles:

link to ynetnews.com

• unverified__2l99f1a1
      July 13, 2010, 5:12 am

For the settlers he is not a hero. For Kahanists, a small radical fringe of Israelis, he is.

Truth can be far more boring than lies, so I understand why you feel the need to make stuff up.

5. radii
    July 7, 2010, 2:46 pm

regretfully the 80% to 90% of viewers of this viral video (who see it on the news or the internet) will have no clue as to the subtext nor any inclination to research it … overall it humanizes israel (by portraying the IDF soldiers as having a sense of humor and hip timeliness) at a time when the public mood globally is to become fed up with israel’s serial war-crimes and inhumanity … such dancing soldier/prisoner vids are ubiquitous these days and this just adds to the din and does little more

• Richard Witty
      July 7, 2010, 3:27 pm

I tought it was funny, humble even.

I’m amazed at how Pavlovian you guys seem, so predictably played by conditioned responses.

• potsherd
        July 7, 2010, 9:44 pm

Witty’s record as the perfect negative moral indicator continues unbroken.

• Donald
        July 7, 2010, 10:04 pm

What would humanize those IDF guys even more would be a refusal to serve as apartheid-supporting guard dogs. But failing that, dancing on a street that Palestinians who live in Hebron aren’t allowed to use is probably good enough, I suppose.

• James North
        July 7, 2010, 10:11 pm

Richard: Did you watch the other video, of the older Palestinian woman who has to climb over rooftops to leave her own house? What did you think of it? Was it also “funny, humble even?”

• Taxi
        July 7, 2010, 10:12 pm

Yeah right, Richard, the dancing nazis DO look like clowns with their stupid camouflage showercaps for helmets.

Humble or two-left-footed? This is the deep and philosophical question we should all be contemplating, right Richard?

The most moral, the most humble army in the world – what humility and kindness the Israeli IDF consistently displays. Three cheers now:
        Hip hip fuck-off!

Fuck off Israel for using and abusing not only the Palestinians but also their own youth, turning generation after generation into disposable cogs in their diabolical war machine – constant supply of fresh meat down the mincer-nation.

When Israel is eventually six feet under, Palestinians will flock from all over the world to dance on its rotten grave.

• Schwartzman
        July 7, 2010, 10:14 pm

The comment section on this blog is like a circle-jerk of hate.

July 7, 2010, 10:29 pm

“The comment section on this blog is like a circle-jerk of hate.”

The food here tastes like poison, and the portions are too small!

I wasn’t going to mention this, but remember the other day, I said that Zionism was like a nightmare perversion of the classic Jewish jokes? Well, I came across a 1940 American Humor Anthology, which had a section containg a lot of them, called “Jewish Logic”. Damn, I had no idea how accurate I was!

A Jewish man is walking down the street, when he is subjected to a tremendous kick in the butt, which sends him sprawling, and the kicker calls out “Hello, Finklestein!” The poor guy who got kicked says: “I’m not Finklestein, and is that the way you greet your friends, with a kick in the butt?” Of course the man replies “And who are you to tell me how to greet Finklestein?”

• Taxi
        July 7, 2010, 10:34 pm

You should be more appalled by Israeli White Phosphorous incinerating the flesh and vital organs of Palestinian children, Mr Schwartzman.

Your comment is directed at me personally and hey guess what? It ain’t exactly full of love either Mr passive-agressive circle-jerking hypocrite!

• Schwartzman
        July 7, 2010, 10:36 pm

I am appaled by Israel’s use of white phosphorous.

You are a vile hate filled person though, not really gonna get anywhere with all that hate my friend.

• Cliff
        July 7, 2010, 10:46 pm

yonira, why are you trolling under a different name?

• Taxi
        July 7, 2010, 11:07 pm

I loath war crimes, war criminals, their enablers AND apologists.

You obviously hate people just like me, Schwarzman.

And please enough with the crocodile tears – I don’t believe for a second that you TRULY are appalled by anything Israel does. If you really were, you would be calling Israel evil too – you know, for willfully incinerating helpless, fleeing and petrified children. But instead, all you want to do is point the level of ‘outrage/loathing/hate/etc’ on this blog, NEVER THE FUCKING CRIME that’s causing the loathing, you NEVER talk of that!

So let’s have you talk about Israeli crimes for a change. List them for us, please, my frigging ‘honest and loving’ friend. Tell me, tell us, what appalls you about Israel and how does it REALLY make you feel?

• Schwartzman
        July 7, 2010, 11:16 pm

What would be the point Taxi, so you can call me a liar again? no thanks.

Do you loath all war criminals? or just Jewish ones?

• Donald
        July 7, 2010, 11:23 pm

“The comment section on this blog is like a circle-jerk of hate”

I beg to differ. I like to think of us more as an axis of evil–with a circle, you see, you just spin your wheels and don’t get anywhere, but if you’re an axis everything revolves around you.

Seriously, not that your comment was serious, there’s a bit of hate here and there–welcome to the internet. But generalizing is fun, so don’t let me stop you from making inaccurate claims that make you feel better.

• Taxi
        July 7, 2010, 11:30 pm

Fuck off Schwartzman with your predictable and despicable insinuations. You don’t think we’ve seen your passive-aggressive fuckeries around him a zillion times before?

You are so transparently diabolical – pretending to be Mr. Nice Guy, Mr. Reasonable, Mr. Love!

You’re just another smartass troll who is ADDICTED to bringing up the holocaust!

• MRW
        July 8, 2010, 12:49 am

Yeah, Schwartzman, it’s a circle-jerk of hate. We hate hype. We hate bullshit. And we hate people who roll on here with their hasbara talking points rolled up like a joint.

Gotta problem with that?

• Sumud
        July 8, 2010, 3:40 am

“The comment section on this blog is like a circle-jerk of hate.”

You seem to have missed the point Schwartzman ~ where Taxi also expresses outrage at the indoctrination of Israeli jews by the zionist permanent-war machine. Hey, suicides in the IDF are way up in the first half of 2010.

‘Rise in IDF suicides’
        link to ynetnews.com

• andrew r
        July 8, 2010, 10:20 am

“And who are you to tell me how to greet Finkelstein?”

All the hundreds of thousands of words of Zionist commentary packed into one sentence. Obstinacy at its finest.

• unverified__2l99f1a1
        July 13, 2010, 5:04 am

Schwartzman, surely you are equally appalled by phosphorous being used by Hamas too? Maybe you forgot to chime in when the shoe was on the other foot. Now is your chance:

link to etaiwannews.com

• Avi
        July 8, 2010, 1:25 am

I tought it was funny, humble even.

I tought I taw a puddy cat.

Yes, very humble. Humble like a mafia kingpin driving around in a Bently with 24K gold-coated rims. Very humble.

P.S. Your ability to perfect cognitive dissonance is astounding. Would you consider donating your brain for science?

• Sumud
        July 8, 2010, 3:27 am

Keep telling yourself that Richard, we’re unthinking bots and you’re a paragon of reason..

Even completely ignoring the context it’s not funny. But how can you ignore the context. It’s Hebron for fucks sake, the most extreme and violent settlers in the West Bank, backed by the IDF. Not a word of criticism on the Nakba Israel has visited on Palestinians in Hebron? Would you be content if muslims or christians welded your mother’s front door shut and she was forced to climb over rooftops to leave her home? How about if your local city council declared the main street off limits for jews and then sprayed “death to jews” and Magen David’s all over the place? Good times?

‘”And when it’s all over,
        my dear, dear reader,
        on which benches will we have to sit,
        those of us who shouted “Death to the Arabs!”
        and those who claimed they “didn’t know”?’

‘Quote of the Week: Aharon Shabtai’
        link to lawrenceofcyberia.blogs.com

When are you going to join the dots Richard?

• Chaos4700
        July 8, 2010, 4:37 am

Those are loaded guns they’re whipping around in the middle of a Palestinian neighborhood. You do know that, right?

• dalybean
      July 7, 2010, 3:45 pm

I agree and I believe the IDF itself made it go viral. Makes me sick.

• Cliff
        July 7, 2010, 4:33 pm

I think that’s the point of the video. I doubt Israel cares about dancing soldiers if they don’t care about the countless acts of murder/theft/abuse/etc. by the IDF regularly.

July 8, 2010, 10:00 am

a circle-jerk of hate

So Shwartzman, why are you sitting in the center?

6. Oscar
    July 7, 2010, 4:06 pm

dalybean,

I was about to write a screed saying you and radii are wrong, but then I checked into the “linked” video of what actually happens in Hebron. Of the 1.9 million hits the IDF soldiers got, less than 1,000 clicked on to the documentary of the abuses of Hebron. You may be right, it’s an internet meme without context, like the &%$#@ cat who plays piano.

At least the poster referred to the soldiers as “douchebags.” That counts for . . . something. Also, Google disabled comments. I can only imagine what those comments were before Abe Foxman got on the batphone to YouTube censors.

• Oscar
      July 7, 2010, 4:11 pm

Watching it again . . . yeah, seems choreographed to humanize the IDF with a vapid Kesha song. Brand Israel — the same day they indict an IDF sniper for crimes against humanity for killing two Palestinian women, this “viral” video comes out. Truly sickening.

• Cliff
        July 7, 2010, 5:00 pm

The only thing Zionists care about is PR in the West.

The closer they get to Israel, the more narcissistic and self-loving they get. Hence, why it’s all about Jew this and that.

• potsherd
      July 7, 2010, 4:39 pm

The woman climbing out of her house isn’t cool.

• Avi
      July 7, 2010, 6:53 pm

You’re probably referring to this:

link to haaretz.com

• hayate
      July 7, 2010, 8:39 pm

“Also, Google disabled comments. I can only imagine what those comments were before Abe Foxman got on the batphone to YouTube censors.”

Likely the person, socksasgloves, who uploaded the video to youtube disabled the comments when they uploaded the video. You can elect to turn off the comments and you can also delete comments you want.

Usually what youtube/google does is delete the video, and sometimes delete the account. They never respond if you email them to ask why.

7. jayhawk against the occupation
    July 7, 2010, 6:12 pm

Yeah, when I viewed this video on yahoo, most of the comments amounted to this: “It’s cool that they’re having a good time.” Americans can be so stupid! The video of the palestinian woman makes me sick, and really angry!

The “nation” of Israel, today, and it’s “Jewish” inhabitants are the biggest fraud in the world. There is no way to trace the lineage of ashkenazi “jews” (which make up most of the Israeli population and the rest of the world)back to the Israelites of Bible times. If anything, these people are descendants of people who converted to Judaism. Anyone familiar with the Khazar theory? These people have no legitimate right to this land. Their homeland is Europe, not palestine. And to the people who insist being Jewish is a race or ethnicity, they’re thinking just like Hitler did! It’s a religion! At the most, it’s a culture. I was raised in a culturally jewish but secular home. The only religion I’ve ever practiced is evangelical/fundamentalist Christianity, which I practiced for over 10 years before I became an agnostic. Even though I was raised somewhat in the Jewish culture, I’m not Jewish! I’m an agnostic! My race is caucasian, and my ethnicity is American of eastern european descent. Sorry for the rant, which went off the subject, but I couldn’t help myself.

Did I mention that I hate Israel??? GRRRRR>

July 7, 2010, 8:22 pm

“Anyone familiar with the Khazar theory?”

That they never should have merged with Nash? I agree. My Dad had a Khazar-Nash and it stunk. It was hard to start, and always parked itself in the neighbor’s driveway.

“My race is caucasian,”

Wow, you’ve got everything all figured out! And that little switch from 10 years evangelical/fundamentalist Christianity to agnosticism? Don’t worry about it, happens all the time.

But look , jay, just so we can feel at ease, there are some things you’ve settled on, right?

• jayhawk against the occupation
        July 7, 2010, 10:19 pm

Mooser, I notice that all you do in your post is mock me, but you offer no refutation of any of my points. That’s saying something right there.

Oh, so have you never changed your mind before? I was a born-again fundie for over a decade. That’s a significant amount of time.

• Schwartzman
        July 7, 2010, 10:29 pm

Jawhawk, this might interest you. After you read them maybe you should dust off your copy of the Protocols, get your hate on….

link to nature.com

link to cell.com

July 7, 2010, 10:39 pm

Jay, I hate to tell you this, but there is no such thing as “Caucasion”
        Hey Jay, why would I refute anything, I love you just the way you are. You’re just not used to it. So you abandoned the faith of your father, whoops, mothers in it’s time of greatest need? Don’t sweat it, it’s happened to me, it’s happened to everybody.
        “The only religion I’ve ever practiced is evangelical/fundamentalist Christianity”
        I’ve heard their music. No thank you.

But anyway, you stick with Schwartzman, from what’s what he knows and how. He won’t steer you wrong.

July 7, 2010, 10:43 pm

Aw, C’mon jayhawk! Khazar-Nash? Gotta love it! You be serious, I’ll be Roebuck, we’ll start a store!

• Taxi
        July 7, 2010, 10:47 pm

Shwartzman,

Are you like a human hate-o-meter?

I suspect you are and you believe it to be your very own ‘special’ power, right?

• Cliff
        July 7, 2010, 10:50 pm

From Joachim’s blog:

Dr. Mazin Qumsiyeh of Yale University addresses the flaws in Zionazi racial science in a letter to the Society of Histocompatibility and Immunology. (More material can be found at THE AMBASSADORS – OPINIONS – Vol. 5, Issue 1 (January 2002)
        link to ambassadors.net).

=================

Dear President Bray, President-elect Zeevi, and Society of Histocompatability and Immunology Officers:

I am asking that you print this in the journal as a response to the unfair treatment of Dr.Arnaiz-Villena et al. following publication of their paper and to read and act on my comments.

Arnaiz-Villena et al. published a paper in this journal titled “The origin of Palestinians and their genetic relatedness with other Mediterranean populations (Human Immunology. 62(9):889-900, 2001). It is one of at least 13 papers published in this journal by Dr.Arnaiz-Villena and colleagues (hundreds published elsewhere). The paper demonstrated with ample evidence the similarity of certain Jewish populations to Palestinians. After some pressures because the data appears inconsistent with Zionist ideology and mythology (including the preposterous claims that Palestinians are recent immigrants to the “land of Israel” and Jews as a distinct race), the paper was pulled from web pages and the society took an unprecedented and in my humble opinion illegal action of penalizing an author (removing him from the editorial board) to satisfy a political constituency within the society.

The data provided by the paper is ironically consistent with data published in the same journal by Israeli scientists (Amar et al. “Molecular analysis of HLA class II polymorphisms among different ethnic groups in Israel” Human Immunology, 1999, 60:723-730). Amar et al. showed that “Israeli Arabs” (Palestinians who are Israeli citizens) are closer to Sephardic Jews than either is to Ashkenazi Jews. The data also showed that Ethiopian Jews are genetically very distant from all. Yet, Amar et al. incredibly concluded that “We have shown that Jews share common features, a fact that points to a common ancestry.” Amar et al also failed to include Slavic populations in the study which would have revealed similarities between Ashkenazi and these populations in the areas around the black Sea (see below).

Unfortunately, misuse of genetics is not new. Francis Galton coined the term eugenics in 1883 (Greek; eu means “good” and genic derives from the word for “born”). Galton defined it as “the science of improvement of the human race germ plasm through better breeding.” At the height of the eugenics movement in the 1920s, the Encyclopedia Britannica (1926) entry on eugenics emphasized that the term connoted a “plan” to influence human reproduction.

Between 1907 and 1960 in the United States at least 60,000 people were sterilized without their consent pursuant to state laws to prevent reproduction by those deemed genetically inferior (especially mentally retarded or those with psychological problems). At the peak of these programs in the 1930s, about 5,000 persons were sterilized annually. Based on the American development (especially the works of the American champion of Eugenics, Harry Hamilton Laughlin), the Eugenics of the Nazis grew to eclipse and the American system and then to become even much more and contribute to the mass murder of Jews, Gypsies and others. These examples (& Lysenkoism in the Soviet Union) are well studied by societies determined not to repeat these horrendous laws. Few now believe it is useful or desirable to limit diversity and enhance ideas of racial purity or protecting the gene pool of a particular population. So how is this relevant to Zionism and Jewish nationalism?

The founders of Zionism were Eastern European Jews (Ashkenazi) who argued that they are fulfilling the ingathering of the Jews to “their ancestral homelands.” Many argued that assimilation and interbreeding with communities where Jews exist were very dangerous. Many worked feverishly to establish links (however tenuous) between Ashkenazi Jews are and the ancient Israelites (and named their new country Israel) as evidenced by the published works of Bonne-Tamir and others. Much was spent to explain away the physical differences between Ashkenazi Jews (light skins, fair smooth hair), and Sephardic (oriental) Jews and massage the data to fit the pre-ordained conclusions. Here is an example.

An article titled “Jewish and Middle Eastern non-Jewish Populations Share a Common Pool of Y-chromosome Biallelic Haplotypes” was published in PNAS, vol. 97, no. 12, June 6,2000 (link to pnas.org). The article is from the laboratory of Dr. Bonne Tamir in Israel and is co-authored with 11 other authors. PNAS publishes articles based on communication from respected scientists and not by the traditional peer review process (although those communicating the article are encouraged to have them peer reviewed). This particular article was communicated by Arno G. Motulsky.

Of course Ashkenazi Jews would be closer to Arabs than either is to the Europeans studied in the PNAS paper. But Ashkenazim are also clearly closer to Turkic/Slavic than either is to Sephardim or Arab populations. The authors avoided studying Slavic groups that researchers have identified as closely related to hypothetical Slavic ancestral populations of modern Ashkenazi communities. The article seems to have avoided discussing this particularly problematical issue and insisted in the conclusion to reiterate the contention made in the introduction that Jews of today are by and large descendent from the original Israelites. As Daniel Friedman wrote (link to khazaria.com ):

“The relative abundances of specific haplotypes within the Ashkenazi population included in Hammer’s study appear to have significant differences from the reconstructed “ancestral Jewish population” and “Separate analysis is also necessary to determine the genetic contribution of the various central Asian Turkic tribes which so strongly influenced European history.”

Italian researches studied many more populations including more diverse Turkish and Eastern European populations (American Journal of Human Genetics, 61:1015-1935). The study looked at Y chromosome polymorphisms (genetic variations) in 58 populations including European, Asian, Middle Eastern, and African. That study clearly shows that Ashkenazi Jewish samples clustered distinct from Sephardic Jews and closer to Turkic samples. Overall, the genetic data in that study were congruent with linguistic distances. The authors concluded that genetic data do not justify a single origin for the currently disparate Jewish subpopulations (Ashkenazi and Sephardi). It seems odd though that authors who are accepting of Zionist claims or are Jewish make conclusions not even supported by their own data while authors from other backgrounds based on similar data (showing clear links of Ashkenazim to Turkic populations) make differing conclusions.

The claims of a “single Jewish origin” flies in the face of incredibly rich data from historical and archeological sources including: language (e.g. Yiddish origin and history and absence of use of Aramaic in ancient Khazar Jewish sources), the conversion of Yemenite Arab populations to Judaism and Christianity. There is ample historical evidence that Levantine people and Eastern European Jewish people do share ancestry as well as evidence for significant population mixing. Greek and Turkish populations exported their people throughout the Balkans, Eastern Europe and Asia Minor and the Levant (e.g. the Ottoman Empire and the Hellenistic periods). Similarly Slavic populations have exported people into Asia Minor and the Levant. There was thus tremendous mixing of populations.

Some studies on Eastern European Jewish people have been used to support the idea that the Zionist colonization of Palestine represented a return of a race of Jewish people to their homeland. Valid scientific research must not be shunned by political pressure groups intent on preventing any rational discussion and stifling apparent conflict with the aims of Zionism. Similarly, scientists should not be allowed to publish statements and conclusions not supported by the data simply because they appear “politically correct” at the moment or do not generate an outcry. A statement such as that by Amir et al. that “We have shown that Jews share common features, a fact that points to a common ancestry” should not be allowed to stand. The correct statement from their own data is that some Jews (Sephardim) are more similar to Palestinians than either group is to other Jews (Ashkenazim or Ethiopian Jews).

Of course the transition from any kind of genetic evidence to justify dispossession of the native Palestinians by Ashkenazi immigrants from Europe is in no way justified regardless of population genetics. After all, one would have to be totally immune to basic elements of justice to allow dispossession of people who are native in every sense of the word and whose ancestors farmed the land for hundreds of years (if not thousands) based on any kind of perceived separatedness/uniqueness of gene pools of the new immigrants/settlers. To use “genetic” tools (regardless of their distortion or validity), to justify denying Palestinian people the right of self-determination is of course a travesty of justice. Genetics and eugenics has been used successfully in many other instances to justify the unjustifiable. Distortions of the science of genetics was used for racist and ethnic cleansing many times before. Unfortunately this particular use may not be the last one either.

Sincerely,

Mazin Qumsiyeh,
        Ph.D.Associate ProfessorDepartment of Genetics
        Yale University School of Medicine
        Email: [email protected]

• Schwartzman
        July 7, 2010, 11:01 pm

I don’t follow, I guess I call them like I see them. You appear to be full of hate, just an observation. I could be wrong and if that is the case I apologize.

• Cliff
        July 7, 2010, 11:08 pm

When in doubt – call everyone a Jew-hater!

• Schwartzman
        July 7, 2010, 11:21 pm

Who is Joachim? is he is someone I should know? Also where did I call anyone a Jew hater? Do a google search of Khazar and Jew Cliff, you tell me if you find anything anti-semitic in that search.

• Schwartzman
        July 7, 2010, 11:22 pm

Here is one of my favorites Cliff, enjoy.

link to bibliotecapleyades.net

• Schwartzman
        July 7, 2010, 11:24 pm

Cliff, I did a google search of Joachim and Jew-hater. Any chance you are referencing an article on Joachim Martillo’s blog?

• Donald
        July 7, 2010, 11:33 pm

Joachim, if I remember right, got banned from this blog.

The whole Khazar thing is pointless–pointless that is, from the pov of someone who thinks it’s silly to care about whose ancesters lived where 1000 years ago. It’s no doubt of interest to historians, anthropologists and the population genetics crowd, but it’s got little to do with achieving a just solution to the I/P conflict.

• jayhawk against the occupation
        July 7, 2010, 11:36 pm

Schwartzman, so are you trying to make the case that the Jews are a race after all? You have more in common with Hitler than I thought! Even if “Jews” from around the world, and for example, America, do share common genetics, are you saying that a Jew from New York has the right to settle on land in Palestine that Palestinians have lived on for generations?

Oh, and I speak the truth about today’s “Jews”, and you come back with a cheap shot that I own a copy of “The Elders of the Protocols of Zion.” Is that the best you zionist fascists can do?

• jayhawk against the occupation
        July 7, 2010, 11:39 pm

“And if you were born Jewish, you ain’t one. But you seem to be laboring under another miconception. You stopped being Jewish? Can’t be done pal, not without extensive re-modeling! Before they made us, they broke the mold!”

Huh? What are you talking about?

• Cliff
        July 7, 2010, 11:42 pm

It’s a letter written by someone unrelated to Joachim Martillo’s political blog. Joachim just had the letter there. So I cited him just to state where I found the letter. I recalled all this genetic stuff from a couple years back. The name of the professor eluded me so I typed in ‘Jewish ancestry’. I couldn’t find him but I remembered that on Anna Baltzer’s YouTube page, his name was mentioned somewhere.

I found it eventually, so then I googled the two keywords. I think Joachim’s blog entry is the first hit. Anyways, I don’t think Joachim is a Jew-hater. He’s very well-read (my own superficial take on him) but I could be wrong.

Then again, since a clown like you is flinging the allegations around, I’ll remain neutral on that note (I think Mooser and him used to go at it when he posted here regularly).

The author is a Palestinian-American, Yale professor.

• Taxi
        July 7, 2010, 11:42 pm

To the Arabs of the region, Donald, ancestry DOES matter, a great deal in fact. Without it configured into the peace and war equation, there is no peaceful solution to be had.

• Schwartzman
        July 7, 2010, 11:45 pm

What would you consider a peaceful and just solution Taxi?

• Taxi
        July 7, 2010, 11:57 pm

You actually think I’d engage on a serious level with your tepid gray matter?

Fuck off time waster!

• Cliff
        July 7, 2010, 11:57 pm

I don’t know much about Jewish ‘DNA’ arguments. I cited the Yale Prof. because I felt his skepticism might get a discussion going.

Although, one part of that article you listed that sounded outright ridiculous was how they just assume 2500 years worth of a connection. Big surprise, that happens to be the time when Jews were expelled from blah blah? How can someone estimate that much time?

In any case, I think if Jews kept marrying one another in their own communities wherever they were – then these findings aren’t that surprising right? What is a ‘race’ and what is an ‘ethnic group’?

One thing this genetic stuff reminds me of is Zionist archaeology. There are a couple of Israeli archaeologists I came across who talk about how ideology pervades the field. Of course it will.

I wouldn’t be surprised if ideology pervades this notion of a ‘Jewish race’.

I’m going to look back to Esau’s Tears soon. I recall Lindemann saying some aspects of Judaism were a kind of “protoracism.”

• Schwartzman
        July 8, 2010, 12:02 am

Jayhawk,

the the truth about the Jews is they are Khazars? what truth are you talking about?

Did you learn about the Khazarian myth while you were a born again:

link to catholicvoice.co.uk

• Taxi
        July 8, 2010, 12:26 am

Special delivery to Schwartzman, direct from jewish Khazaria:

link to khazaria.com

July 8, 2010, 10:08 am

“Huh? What are you talking about?”

You shouldn’t know from what I’m talking about, so don’t ask!
        But wow, jayhawk, you caught on to Shwartzman fast enough!
        Don’t share genes with him, you’ll get crabs.
        I feel myself warming to you as to a long-lost bother, Jayhawk! You and I have a lot in common, actually, and I hope you will comment regularly.

July 8, 2010, 10:20 am

“Did you learn about the Khazarian myth while you were a born again:”

I’d rather be a born-again than a bore again!

• andrew r
        July 8, 2010, 10:34 am

Why Joachim’s blog? Why not Mazin’s blog? The latter doesn’t write anti-semitic dog doo.

July 8, 2010, 10:10 pm

Oh, jayhawk, it’s just persiflage. You see right through Shwartzman, and to me, that’s all that matters.
        So keep commenting, already, and I’ll be looking forward to them!

“Before God made the Jews, He broke the mold” was the text for my Bar-Mitzvah oration. I think that’s what Shwartzman had in mind when he posted those links about “Jewish genes”.

8. VR
    July 7, 2010, 8:20 pm

In fact, these Israelis think Americans are so dumb, that they treat them like their children telling them stories about “moving into the neighborhood” –

OPERATION MOVING VAN

While we are on the subject of children, here is what it like for Palestinian children to go to school in Hebron –

THE SCHOOL RUN

• unverified__2l99f1a1
      July 13, 2010, 5:06 am

Where is your stories about Jewish children having to go to school on buses with bulletproof glass? I guess you passed that one up.

9. Richard Parker
    July 7, 2010, 9:37 pm

This video of Israeli soldiers rap-dancing in a major Hebron street that has been ‘ethnically cleansed’ for 10 years is, simply, disgusting.

I have great admiration for the Palestinian woman who remains, obdurately, in her own home, but has to get out of it by climbing over roofs. Thank God for her courage.

10. iamuglow
    July 7, 2010, 9:40 pm

with all the ‘real’ news about Israel out there it is something how this story gets so much press.

the radio station 1010 wins in NY was plugging it incesstantly on the holiday this Monday and now theres a flood of stories of it online. It seems to me like the plugging in the news preceded it going viral. It feels more like PR than honest news.

• MRW
      July 7, 2010, 10:05 pm

No different than this article being the 06/2006 start-flag for the anti-immigration movement (and Haim Saban buying Univision.)
      link to forward.com

11. MRW
    July 7, 2010, 10:02 pm

They welded them into their homes? And this isn’t barbarity…because?

12. Dan Kelly
    July 7, 2010, 10:37 pm

It has been suggested by some that this was a Mossad operation intended to create the most popular search result for the term “dancing israelis.”

Most people are familiar by now with the “dancing Israelis” who were caught celebrating the destruction of the towers on September 11, 2001. Upon their capture by the NYPD, one of the five men said, “We are Israelis. We are not your problem. Your problems are our problems. The Palestinians are your problem.” (ABC News 20/20)

After spending 71 days in FBI custody, the men were quietly allowed to return to Israel. They appeared on an Israeli talk show where, astonishingly, one of them proclaimed, “We were there to document the event.”

link to todayscatholicworld.com

• Dan Kelly
      July 7, 2010, 10:55 pm

As of now, the search term “dancing israelis” entered into google returns 6 hits pertaining to the undercover Mossad agents (the first three being youtube (2) and google videos).

The 7th hit, under the heading “News for dancing israelis,” contains both a Haaretz article and a Thaindian (Bangkok news portal) article on the IDF Hebron video. The video itself is nowhere to be found on the first few pages of google results – all pertain to the undercover Mossad agents who were celebrating the destruction of the towers on September 11, 2001.

• Schwartzman
        July 7, 2010, 11:10 pm

All conspiracy sites (you forgot to mention). Are you a truther Dan Kelly? Do you believe the NWO and the ZOG were responsible?

• Dan Kelly
        July 7, 2010, 11:18 pm

I don’t engage with sayanim, Schwartzman. This will be my only correspondence with you. Goodbye.

• MRW
        July 8, 2010, 12:41 am

Schwartzman,

Dan Kelly doesn’t need me as his personal bodyguard. But he’s been on this board for years and you haven’t. Your taunt, “Are you a trooother, Dan?” as if anyone with half a brain idiot would believe the ‘official’ story is true, is way out of line. As Mooser said, “Planes goes boom, all fall down, ain’t going to cut it.”

So do us all a favor and add a digit to your IQ: read the archives.

• MRW
        July 8, 2010, 12:45 am

Sorry for outrageous typo, but something happened because I wasn’t logged in before commenting. I dunno.

• Avi
        July 8, 2010, 1:52 am

All conspiracy sites

Do you object to the source, or to the content? Regardless of the content, your interpretation of it or the implications such an interpretation may carry, the incidents in question did happen. They did take place.

Alas, you seem more concerned with dismissing the source as lacking in credibility, rather than discussing the incidents in question.

The dancing Israelis on 9/11 (the ones who were high-fiving each other) and the van of an Israeli moving company that was pulled over later in the day were both reported by countless news organizations around the US, including the Associated Press, CNN, Fox, CBS, ABC. Heck, I watched the felony arrest of the van occupants live on TV.

• MRW
        July 8, 2010, 2:11 am

Heck, I watched the felony arrest of the van occupants live on TV.

Me too. And dont forget there were two white vans. One was reported downtown with a license plate that the police located on a bridge. Wasn’t it the GW Bridge?

• MRW
        July 8, 2010, 2:24 am

The most damning evidence was from three of the five themselves in Israel trying to claim, months later, that they were in the US to “document the event.”

That’s why they had video cameras on the roof of the white van before the FIRST TOWER FELL. “Our purpose was to DOCUMENT THE EVENT.”

link to youtube.com

They said it. Not me. “We were there to document the event.”

• Sumud
        July 8, 2010, 3:55 am

Even FOX opined that Israel had prior knowledge of 9/11, and that hundreds of Israeli had been detained for spying before and after the event:

‘Israeli Spying – Part 1 of 4′
        link to youtube.com

‘Israeli Spying – Part 2 of 4′

• Sumud
        July 8, 2010, 3:57 am

‘Israeli Spying – Part 3 of 4′
        link to youtube.com

‘Israeli Spying – Part 4 of 4′

• LanceThruster
        July 9, 2010, 4:32 pm

You know who else says the official version is made up of lies? The 9/11 Commission itself.

from: link to salem-news.com

The 9/11 Commission now tells us that the official version of 9/11 was based on false testimony and documents and is almost entirely untrue. The details of this massive cover-up are carefully outlined in a book by John Farmer, who was the Senior Counsel for the 9/11 Commission.

13. Schwartzman
    July 7, 2010, 11:49 pm

Where is the outrage!!
    link to collegehumor.com

• tree
      July 8, 2010, 2:09 am

The Air Force cadets in the video you posted are in Colorado Springs at the Air Force Academy. They aren’t dancing in Falluja, supporting the ethnic cleansing of Iraqis, which would be the equivalent of what the IDF soldiers dancing in Hebron were doing.

Your outrage-o-meter is seriously out of whack. As the saying goes, “Its the occupation, stupid,” and the disparate solicitous IDF treatment of the illegal Jewish settlers in the occupied territories versus the harsh treatment of the native Palestinians. Why is it even necessary to explain this to you? Are you really that dense, or are you just desperate to posit an equivalence that doesn’t exist.

• Chaos4700
      July 8, 2010, 2:30 am

Um, how many civilians had guns aimed at them and their homes in order to make way for the video you linked?

That’s why there is no outrage.

• ddi
      July 8, 2010, 3:58 am

Nothing wrong with that, US servicemen on US territory.

July 8, 2010, 10:17 am

“Where is the outrage!!”

You used it all up, Shwarztman! None left! Nothing except disgust, cynicism, and disbelief of anything a hasbaratchnik says.

Don’t worry, I understand, Shwartzman, I’m a Jew myself, born, bred, brissed and Bar Mitzvahed. It’s so awful, the way 2000 years of persecution convinces you that some omnipotent authourity will put the kibosh on anyone who so much as raises their voice against you.
      Say, Shwartzman, you wanna trade genes? I got a nice pair bell-bottoms I could get for you wholesale.

• potsherd
      July 13, 2010, 10:29 am

Look here, Schwartz? Find any outrage?
      link to haaretz.com

14. djagre
    July 8, 2010, 11:37 am

“Sterilized.” That’s the term Israelis use–including, in my experience, those in the peace movement–for the areas of Al-Khalil/Hebron where Palestinians are forbidden to go.

• LanceThruster
      July 9, 2010, 11:18 am

Those language memes reveal the depth of the dehumanization. Afterall, if you’re dealing with “untermenschen”, standard rules governing behavior need not apply.

15. sherbrsi
    July 8, 2010, 5:22 pm

This viral video is definitely the product of Hasbara and Brand Israel. After the diplomatic and PR stains that were the flotilla massacre and the Gaza slaughter, there has been increasing pressure on the propaganda organs of Israel to mobilize support for Israel using the new social media.

These petty people are just desperate for attention. Amusingly, the joke may be on them:

Fortunately, the re-uploaded video, entitled ‘It’s easy to laugh at the occupation when you’re the oppressor (and a douchebag)’, has received over 2 million hits. Its annotations provide some context and reframes the video, ridiculing the ridiculers.

link to pulsemedia.org

16. Mooser
    July 8, 2010, 10:21 pm

Nothing enrages your true Zionist like not deferring to them, not accepting them immediately as moral arbiters in all things. Drives ‘em nuts.

17. Zorro
    July 10, 2010, 3:50 pm

Doesn’t anyone wonder if this wasn’t a bit of disinformation? A story purposely planted to make the IDF troops look like just “good, wholesome boys?” (Aw, shucks, fellows.) An attempt to defuse the negative perception toward the IDF growing throughout the world?

This reminds me of the story about Bill and Hill’s outrage at being “caught” dancing privately on the beach.

• unverified__2l99f1a1
      July 13, 2010, 5:07 am

It could be disinformation.

It could also be just some bored soldiers dancing. I love conspiracy theorists. You should really read about Occam’s razor.

• potsherd
        July 13, 2010, 10:30 am

Why don’t the bored soldiers go dance in front of the Herodian wall? Maybe they could drop trou as a finale. Lots of good clean fun!

• slagbom
        July 13, 2010, 2:17 pm

They danced here because that is where they were stationed. They get moved around an awful lot.

18. unverified__2l99f1a1
    July 13, 2010, 5:00 am

Uh, I didn’t know annotations on a youtube video were considered a citation for research.

I am a Christian and I have been to Hebron many times and I am not a settler and can walk the street with no restrictions. Also in H2 there are many Palestinians. I saw them their in the pottery shop and crossing into checkpoints.

This whole idea of Jewish only roads is a lie, but I don’t think anyone here cares about the truth.

• Taxi
      July 13, 2010, 10:23 am

unverified,

Just shut it troll!

You’re just like an ostrich – eyes bigger than brain!

• potsherd
      July 13, 2010, 10:25 am

How many stones did you get to throw at the Arabs?

Christian tourists, if they are not Arabs, are honorary Jews because they help keep Israel green. Go ask a Palestinian Christian if he can walk freely down that street.

• Chu
      July 13, 2010, 10:32 am

spoken like a true christian zionist. the most useful idiot of the lot!

• lysias
      July 13, 2010, 10:40 am

This whole idea of Jewish only roads is a lie

Do you mean it’s a lie because American Christians are also allowed to use them?

• potsherd
        July 13, 2010, 12:46 pm

That seems to be it.

• slagbom
        July 13, 2010, 2:15 pm

So let me get this straight. For having gone to Hebron I’m a Zionist. For talking about it I’m a troll. For having been born Christian (something I have a hard time undoing) I’m somehow throwing rocks at Arabs and colluding with a settler?

When I say I’m Christian that doesn’t mean I go to church morons, that is the ‘box’ I fall into.

There are no Jewish only roads. You people are insane.