Gaza Two Years Later: A little girl

Editors’ note: The following is the first entry in a series we’re running called Gaza Two Years Later. We have asked Gazan bloggers and writers to reflect on the two-year anniversary of the Israeli attack on Gaza in the winter of 2008/09.You can read the entire series here.

Sleep in here sleep little girl
I would keep you so warm
Sleep… darling I’ll hold you so firm
You’re here in my lap no need for fright
Keep on your happy sight
Sun will shine
Birds will wake the sleepy night
You’re my….

My Mom suddenly stopped singing and stopped calmly feeling my hair. Her hand also stopped shaking. She was keeping me on her lap, trying to keep me warm in that cold night. It was too dark that I could barely see her face. She was very warm, but she gradually lost that comforting heat. I tried to keep it, so I covered her with the small blanket she was covering me with and I stayed in her lap. Some minutes passed; however, she didn’t continue singing, and her body kept going colder. There was so much going on outside. I could hear a man weakly weeping. I thought she was listening to the sounds outside trying to know what was happening.

I sat beside her, for, then, she was so cold that I couldn’t stay in her lap. ” Mama, why is the man outside crying?”. She didn’t answer. She kept listening. I said no word afterwards. I may have slept for a short while after the noise was a little bit lower. When I woke up I saw my mother with her eyes closed covered with my blanket. I thought she must have been awake the whole time I was sleeping, that’s why I didn’t try to wake her up; she would get in a really bad mood if I do. I poured her some water and put it in front of her. She was still cold. I was cold too but I thought she was so much colder. I sat right in the opposite of her and kept waiting her to wake up and drink my glass of water and then thank me for it. Thinking of my dad and two brothers who got out of the house carrying a white shirt and how much noise happened after they got out, while my mother followed them so fast and came back so slow, with that noise frequently coming back, I kept staring at her cold body.

Now, two years later I understand it all, the cold, the whimper, my dad’s white shirt, my brothers, everything, even the mess outside. I understand why the men who came that morning took only me and why they wouldn’t listen to me yelling at them saying that my mother is still there feeling very cold.

Rawan Yaghi, 17, is a secondary school student in Gaza. She blogs at http://rawan-hp.blogspot.com.

About Rawan Yaghi

Rawan Yaghi is an English Literature student, blogger, and writer, living in Gaza. She is from Masmeyya- Palestine. Her blog is http://wresist.wordpress.com/

1. Kathleen
    December 27, 2010, 9:29 am

weeping
    In the search and creation of a homeland for Jews Israel and many Jews have become cold, calculating monsters.

Stop building and expanding illegal settlements or continue to confirm that a one state solution is all that is left

• seafoid
      December 27, 2010, 9:56 am

There can’t be any security for Israel while Gaza is treated like this.

• Kathleen
        December 27, 2010, 11:41 am

Or the illegal occupation of a great deal of territory in the West Bank

• seafoid
      December 27, 2010, 4:04 pm

Mark F posted this on the delegitimization thread.

“In this immensely challenging and complex time, AJC is the one Jewish organization with the track record of impact, access and know-how to meet the most urgent challenges we face today.
      I’m writing to ask you to make one final, end-of-year tax deductible donation, so that we can make our collective voice even stronger in 2011. Please donate now.

If you’ve read my writings in the past, you know that I preferunderstatement to hyperbole. That’s why this letter may alarm you: In my 20 years as AJC’s executive director, I have never seen a more dangerous time for the Jewish people.

It is alarming. Sadly, it’s true. The Jewish people face:

Existential threats: Iran poses a serious and looming existential threat to us all. Powerful groups seek to deny Israel’s right to exist. And anti-Semitism in both old and new forms has strengthened around the world.

In 2010, AJC actively advocated for the sanctions that now exist against Iran, vigorously defended Israel’s right to exist in peace and security, and worked to help protect Jewish communities globally.

In 2011, it’s vital for AJC to have enough resources to continue combating these threats. AJC will not be – can not be – silent. But we need your help. Please donate now.

Global power shift: Before our very eyes, we’re witnessing a redistribution of global power.

In 2010, AJC used its unparalleled diplomatic connections to build better understanding with more than 70 foreign governments, including the emerging powers. We also met regularly with a dozen Arab countries, most of whom have no diplomatic ties with Israel.

In 2011, it’s vital for AJC to use these diplomatic connections to help these nations continue to understand our needs. AJC will not be silent. But we need your help.
      Please donate now.

The world of ideas: We have entered an unprecedented era of the “world of ideas,” whereby the rise of digital technology, however unintentionally, provides an instantaneous, world-wide platform for those who would do us harm.

In 2010, AJC engaged tens of millions of people through weekly radio messages, countless blog postings, multilingual material, and social media to ensure that our voice – the voice of the Jewish people – was heard and understood. No other group has such a national and global reach.

In 2011, it’s vital for AJC to continue creating ways to counter harmful messages, using technology to advocate on the issues most important to the Jewish people.

AJC will not be silent. But we need your help. Please donate now.

With your support, we can achieve so much. And we can continue to live up to what French President Nicolas Sarkozy said about us: “AJC is the most effective, most influential, and most respected of American Jewish organizations.”

Help us help each other. Please donate to AJC now.

I wish you and your loved ones a happy and healthy New Year.

David”

no happiness or health for Gaza.
      The people who bring death to Gaza now want to do the same to Iran.

• Potsherd2
        February 13, 2011, 5:12 pm

No death for Iran now, thanks to Egypt.

2. Kathleen
    December 27, 2010, 9:31 am

“twp years later” Not one MSM outlet has addressed or even whispered about the Goldstone Report

3. Susie Kneedler
    December 27, 2010, 9:44 am

So, so terrible. Rawan, I’m eternally sorry. I send you all my love.

4. Susie Kneedler
    December 27, 2010, 10:02 am

Rawan, I started to add: I hope you’re okay now, but felt how puny that question might sound. Then I looked at your website. Only a glance, so far: so beautiful, really inspiring: you’re a wonder–what evocative, true art and poetry. Thank you!

I’m heartbroken at all our government has paid and done and not done to allow another outlaw regime to hurt you and kill your dear, loving family.– But permitting these crimes means that we are responsible, too.

Thanks for your shining spirit that shows us again what we need to do: stop the money, halt the theft, create Peace by telling truths.

Bless you, Rawan!

5. seafoid
    December 27, 2010, 10:06 am

“Rhetoric, yes, but a society needs a narrative. Otherwise its symbols are empty.” Joe O’Connor

Israel’s narrative is broken

6. annie
    December 27, 2010, 3:21 pm

at first i was speechless. i knew phil was going to start posting the mondo awards entries soon but i didn’t expect to wake up this morning to find these incredible words from gaza, from you Rawan.

you take my breath away. there is a lump in my throat as i write. from my little perch here in california i am visualizing my energy traveling thru the atmosphere and all the physical and invisible and imaginary boundaries between us and it is landing in gaza and finding you and swirling around you. i am listening and i can hear you, i hope you can hear me..in solidarity.

7. seafoid
    December 27, 2010, 5:06 pm

I think Israel and the wider Jewish treatment of Gaza say a lot about organised religion and its capacity to deal with the problems of today. Behind all the rhetoric about goodness organised Judaism has no answer to the suffering of the people of Gaza.

It is not alone. I went to mass on Christmas Day and was listening to the priest talk about the word made flesh thinking the catholic church has no answer to the forthcoming environmental collapse of planet earth driven by our economic system which is out of control. None of your priests or rabbis, imams or pandits have anything to say about the chaos that is only a few decades away.

Because all religion is ultimately human in its imaginings and as a species we cannot understand that we are destroying our own future .

8. Citizen
    December 27, 2010, 7:02 pm

This is not on topic precisely but if I put it on the posts concerning it of a few days ago or more, I’m afraid it won’t be widely read–it’s Seatle Metro explaining its decision to breech its contract for the 12 bus ads on War Crimes in Gaza funded by US Taxdollars:

Dear Friend,

I wanted to let you know that Executive Constantine has decided to reject a proposed ad from the “Seattle Mideast Awareness Campaign.” An interim policy will now take effect that will halt the acceptance of all new non-commercial advertising on King County buses. This means the “Israeli War Crimes Your tax dollars at work” ad will not be featured on Metro buses.

As I said in a statement last Thursday, I commend the Executive for taking action. The outpouring of concern regarding this bus ad is unlike anything I’ve seen. The Executive rightfully understands that this is nothing short of an international incident and I’m pleased to see that he responded positively to my letter last week. I look forward to working with him, and my colleagues on the Council in coming up with a legislative solution that works for the entire community.

Again, thank you for voicing your concern on this issue. I’ll continue to keep you updated if anything else arises.

You can read the Executive’s entire statement here:

link to kingcounty.gov

Sincerely,
    Jane
    Jane Hague
    King County Council – District 6
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 206-296-1006
    link to kingcounty.gov

link to facebook.com

9. Justice Please
    December 27, 2010, 8:48 pm

test

10. eGuard
    December 27, 2010, 9:58 pm

So, two years after the start of the attack on Gaza, no “liberal Zionist” posts today. How so?

11. Philip Munger
    December 28, 2010, 3:28 am

I wrote to Rawan Yaghi Monday, through commenting at her entry for this account at her blog. She wrote back:

Rawan,

I posted your story at my blog, Progressive Alaska. I’d also like to post it at the American blog, firedoglake, but they probably won’t let me print your entire story, unless you say that it is OK.

I’ll pray for your successful future as a writer, and as whatever you want to be.

Her reply:

Mr Philip Munger, I can’t but thank you for your great effort publishing Palestine and letting others know the truth. of course I don’t mind posting it at the American blog it will be an honor for me to have told just a little about what Palestinians have been through in here. Thank you for being here. I, we all appreciate it deeply.

The result was diaries at firedoglake and Daily Kos.

My daughter cried as she read Rawan’s story this evening.

12. annie