Reality imitates the dream in the Rachel Corrie case in Haifa

The stage was set for the strangest of dreams but my dreams revolved around what was actually happening: I had arrived back on a night flight from a two-week pleasure tour of Andalucía and taken the train to arrive in Haifa at six in the morning. I got off at the central train station by the port and proceeded to walk around aimlessly till the district court opened its gates. I hadn’t wandered around these parts since my high school days when I used to tour the racy port area of Haifa with some local friends. At the time our inexperience and lack of funds limited the extent of our engagement in the area’s burgeoning sex enterprises to ogling the skimpily dressed professionals out on their hunt. Sadly, all that is but a vague memory now. Not a single hooker accosted me on this occasion. I wondered if it was my age, the hour of the day or the area’s dismal failure in terms of business, all thriving shops having moved up to the fancier sections of the Carmel Mount in recent times. I stopped at the one café that was open at this early hour. The host welcomed me in the best of local Galilee Arabic dialects but was equally proficient in Hebrew, English and German with other customers; he seemed to figure out people’s language preference by their looks. I sipped my coffee slowly over the next hour, paid my bill, answered the host’s questions about where I was from and what I did, and headed to the court just as the guards were setting up their security check apparatus and opening the doors. I directed my steps to the coffee shop for a second cup of coffee in the hope of keeping awake in court.

The Corries arrived and then their lawyers and the regular small crowd of correspondents, translators, American embassy staff and sundry Israeli leftists. As I chatted with Cindy Corrie, Rachel’s mother, I discovered to my absolute surprise that not everyone in the world is fully aware of the glorious history of the Arab rule in Spain. Who in the world but Arabs is to be credited with the original contribution of the Arabesque designs one finds in all kinds of Spanish-made tiles I wondered. In another millennium or two, when the whole Middle East is awash with the Star of David, will it be credited to Saudi Arabia for instance and not to Israel? Or would Saudi young women dancing the Hora take full credit for it? Why then doesn’t the world credit the Arabs with evolving the Flamenco? I was on the verge of launching an exposé of the Arabs’ salubrious contributions to Europe’s renaissance and enlightenment for Cindy’s benefit. Alas, others arrived and interrupted our conversation. It occurred to me that, with a little stretch of the imagination, I could personally lay claim to having contributed, through my ancestors in Andalucía, to so many valued underpinnings of science, the arts and American culture from the invention of the zero and the introduction of the guitar all the way to the very name of such familiar landmarks as Guadalajara in neighboring Mexico. And what did we get in return through this incontrovertible romantic chain of historic events? The tobacco weed and Israel!

In the courtroom at the top floor of the modern building, the setting was dreamlike: The morning sunrays shone through the tall windows on either side of the judge’s elevated platform rendering his seat not unlike what I imagined King Solomon’s throne would have looked like. The session started with a faux pas by the Corrie’s lawyer that left its damaging effect on the entire uninterrupted four-and-a-half-hour session: When the judge was finished with a minor procedural issue in an unrelated case he called for Hussein Abu-Hussein but was informed that the lawyer had gone to answer the call of nature. The Judge was visibly upset and stormed out to his adjacent private quarters. When he came back, the stenographer, who with the advent of the electronic recording equipment apparently has taken on the added task of modulating the judge’s mood, seemed to attempt to assuage his anger with one teacup after another till he returned to his usual level of tense normality. The session then proceeded with repeated angry outbursts at Abu-Hussein for not comprehending the witness’s answers the right way. I was not fully convinced that this all was because of the faulty start and theorized to myself between nodding in and out of light sleep about an alternative explanation. The judge had a ruddy tan and I hit on the explanation that he must have spent his Passover vacation in some resort on the Red Sea and was aggravated by the Egyptians’ new-found sense of dignity after their Spring uprising. The judge missed Mubarak, I figured.

The witness was none other than the spokeswoman of the IDF at the time of the Rachel Corrie ‘incident.’ I was disappointed. I had imagined such a high-ranking officer, the woman once charged with justifying the nation’s entire struggle to implement the dream of greater Israel on grounds of security needs, to be armed to the teeth. And I imagined her to be a big fierce hussy of Germanic stock, trained in martial arts, dressed in military uniform, and ready to shoot me at first sight, plant the extra handgun she always carries on my corpse and issue a statement to the press regarding her action in self-defense. None of this! In fact the woman was a diminutive but spry middle-aged run-of-the-mill oriental civilian with salt-and-pepper shoulder-length hair ending in a breezy curl. The magic morning sunlight streaming from the windows framed her in profile from where I sat rendering her rather attractive. I was impressed by her apparent charm and self-confidence. She fit my mental image of queen Sheba of old.

Alas, the changing play of natural light and the constant chipping of Abu-Hussein at her display of self-confidence blemished her image despite the judge repeatedly coming to her aid. By noon she was diminished in my eyes to a mere shadow of her former charming self. The midday sun now emphasized her actual features revealing a dour menopausal white-haired damsel in considerable distress under the focused questioning of the bullying Palestinian lawyer trying to cast doubt on her former role and current credibility. Amazingly, in the process of dragging her through the mud of the IDF record of human rights violations, Abu-Hussein caused even the cute upturn at the neck of her initially fancily styled hair to slacken to a frizzle. He kept quoting to her from various press resources, managing in the process to call her ‘a liar,’ ‘Israel’s Goebbels,’ and more. The poor woman had to resort to some terrible means of verbal self-defense despite the judge’s obvious sympathy. At one point, when her opinion was asked regarding a statement to the effect that the IDF has a tradition of lying and manufacturing misleading information, she spit out the same venomous charges against the Palestinians.

By this time I had nodded off again to the domain of light sleep. In my dream I saw the women entertaining the troops battling at the borders of Greater Israel. She danced a wild Flamenco while holding a tray with Mahmud Abbass’s head on it over her head. I woke from the hilarious dream to find the woman still talking away at a-mile-a-minute speed about the antics of the Palestinian National Authority. A couple of times she stuck out her tongue in midsentence with a ghastly effect. As I dozed off again the image I visualized changed from a crow to a snake. I ran away in panic and the person next to me found it necessary to wake me up with a jab in the ribs. The judge was at it again admonishing the translators to lower their voices. “I am not sure in the USA they would extend the privilege of translating for the audience like I do for you,” he scolded. At this stage I dozed off again but this time into deeper sleep. My friend was there. She kept sticking her tongue at me. Except that it was definitely forked. It must come with the job description, I figured.

This post originally appeared yesterday on Hatim Kanaaneh’s blog, a Doctor in Galilee.

About Hatim Kanaaneh

Dr. Hatim Kanaaneh is a Palestinian doctor who has worked for over 35 years to bring medical care to Palestinians in Galilee, against a culture of anti-Arab discrimination. He is the author of the book A Doctor in Galilee: The Life and Struggle of a Palestinian in Israel.
Posted in Israel/Palestine

{ 73 comments... read them below or add one }

1. GuiltyFeat says:

“In another millennium or two, when the whole Middle East is awash with the Star of David, will it be credited to Saudi Arabia for instance and not to Israel?”

Where does this stuff come from? Weirdest prediction of the week.

Phil, you know how you say you struggle with your own misogynist feelings? You’re not alone. Hatim here thinks its OK to describe someone as a “dour menopausal white-haired damsel”. Genuinely unpleasant.

• Avi says:

GuiltyFeat May 26, 2011 at 11:28 am

More unpleasant than ethnic cleansing or less unpleasant than ethnic cleansing?

No comment from stinkyfeet about Israel’s murder of Rachel Corrie, of course. Diverting attention remains his number one priority.

• James North says:

Avi is right. GF criticizes words, instead of the hard fact that Israel murdered a young American woman and is now covering up.

• eee says:

James North,

So the end justifies the means? Nice to know that because of the Nakba it is ok for Palestinians to be misogynists.

The hard fact is that there is trial in open court in which an IDF representative is grilled by an Arab lawyer. The hard fact is that an Arab Israeli after a two week vacation in Spain gets to sit in court and write whatever filth he wants.

Israel is not a perfect society. If the Arab Israelis want a perfect society they should go live in Arab countries, like Palestine for example.

• Woody Tanaka says:

“So the end justifies the means?”

LOL. Coming from someone like you, that is precious.

• annie says:

your ramblings really get out there sometimes eee.

• MRW says:

Thanks, James. Well said.

• eee says:

Annie,

This is a clear case of an hypocrite who is holding Israel to a standard that the US does not attain, let alone any Arab country. Israel is not perfect, but which country is?

• Chaos4700 says:

So the end justifies the means?

Isn’t that your position on the Nakba, eee?

• patm says:

Stinkyfeet is a female, Avi.

Quite possibly a “dour, menopausal, and white-haired” one. It wouldn’t surprise me.

• GuiltyFeat says:

Really, Pat?

If I was, do you think this would be the right way to talk about me?

I have never and would never be this rude to you.

• James North says:

GF: A young woman is murdered, and you dwell on a stray comment in a post. You are either:
          a) deliberately trying to divert attention from the killing of Rachel Corrie, or
          b) trying to hide from your own conscience.
          My own guess is b).

• eee says:

James North,

Another low and hypocritical blow. Whenever an Israeli is killed by Palestinians your position is always well what did he expect being an occupier?

Well, what did Corrie expect standing in front of a bulldozer?

• James North says:

3e: You are a liar. I have never said

• eee says:

James North,

The liar is of course you. I am not quoting you verbatim. I have read your comments and that is basically your position.

• Mooser says:

“I have never and would never be this rude to you.”

Nothing rude about your complete fabrication of an identity and even a gender, nope, nothing rude about that.
          Of course, ZIonists have a God-given right to lie in the service of Israel, it says so in the Bible, and who are we to argue with the Holy Scrip?

• Mooser says:

“If I was, do you think this would be the right way to talk about me?”

Oh yes, if there is one thing Israelis are known for, it rhetorical forbearance and moderate language. Gosh, what an attractive piece of work you are, Guilty Feat.

• Mooser says:

“b) trying to hide from your own conscience.”

And why shouldn’t a person do what he’s (she’s?) best at? Why shouldn’t they do what they have been both personally and culturally (my apologies to the word “culture”) trained for since birth?

• annie says:

is basically your position

then perhaps you could basically back it up w/a quote.

whoops! you can’t.

• Woody Tanaka says:

“Well, what did Corrie expect standing in front of a bulldozer?”

To be treated as a human. Too bad she was dealing with an Israeli, too many of whom don’t have a moral bone in their body.

• Mooser says:

“I have read your comments and that is basically your position.”

Gee, “eee” why not just put quote marks around what you think he is saying? According to Wittypedia, that makes it all verbatim.

• David Samel says:

eee, James’s many comments are electronically stored and easy for you or anyone else to access. You are falsely claiming to paraphrase him when you are in fact making shit up. If you claim otherwise, find the comments of his that you are paraphrasing.

No one who reads this blog regularly has ever seen him utter such a sentiment. Your tendency to regurgitate stale and discredited hasbara has been well established, but this slimy personal attack makes you look like a sixth-grader just caught cheating and refusing to admit it. Obviously, you comment here hoping to sway a few minds your way, and your foolishness here is quite stupid.

• Chaos4700 says:

Bullshit, you’ve never been this rude, GF.

• Chaos4700 says:

Well, what did Corrie expect standing in front of a bulldozer?

Paraphrasing Goebbels: “Well, what did Jews expect?”

• LeaNder says:

Avi, he doesn’t notice it is an important part of the narrative.

I simply love his dream-reality-tale. Concerning his pick: There is a rhythm, the negative expectation, followed by a pleasant surprise and than this. Why not choose this:

Isn’t that even more suspicious, if related to an IDF officer?

• GuiltyFeat says:

“No comment from stinkyfeet about Israel’s murder of Rachel Corrie, of course. ”

What comment from me would satisfy you? I’m guessing none.

I think the word murder is inappropriate as it implies intent. Even if you could prove that the driver intended to murder Rachel Corrie, I don’t think you could prove that Israel intended to murder Rachel Corrie.

I think there is a case to be made that Israel is responsible for her death through negligence and through a series of dreadful and illegal policies of collective punishment including the bulldozing of homes.

So I would have less of a problem with you saying that Israel killed Rachel Corrie rather than Israel murdered Rachel Corrie, but then you’ll accuse me of being more concerned with words than facts.

I think Rachel Corrie’s death is a tragedy. I think Israel is responsible.

I think the report above is useless and misogynist. It brings no honour to Rachel Corrie’s memory for her to be associated with this kind of cro-magnon sexism.

• Woody Tanaka says:

“I think the word murder is inappropriate as it implies intent.”

No, it doesn’t. It merely requires malice aforethought. And, in a situation like the felony-murder situation, the requirement can be met by the desire to commit a felony in which the murder occurs, even if there was no subjective desire for the death to occur. It’s still a murder. Likewise the malice element can be met by an indifference to a high risk of someone dying, even without any desire that someone dies. Still murder.

• LeaNder says:

Look, we all know that the IDF could never, ever do such a thing. Why do you think it’s worth again, and again telling us? Any other nation on earth. But Israel, never! We all firmly trust that one of these day the whole world will be taken over by the superior spirit of the nation once chosen exactly for that aim. So why tell us? Are you a closet skeptic and it is only an exercise to convince yourself?

• annie says:

I don’t think you could prove that Israel intended to murder Rachel Corrie.

“israel” may not have intended to kill corrie but one of her representatives (if not more) knew damn well running over her with a bulldozer would kill her.

• seafoid says:

Israel did intend to kill Rachel Corrie. There have been too many activists killed for Israel to be given the benefit of the doubt.

The hatred that pours from the Israeli Government on the subject of Rachel Corrie leaves no room for doubt. Rachel Corrie was murdered “pour encourager les autres”.

Israel just picked the wrong family to f*** with.

• Avi says:

GuiltyFeat May 26, 2011 at 12:19 pm

What comment from me would satisfy you? I’m guessing none.

First off, it would be nice if you recognized my right to exist. And then, it would be nice if you recognized me as a Jewish man. That, too, would be nice.

Then, and only then, will I consider talking to you nicely.

• GuiltyFeat says:

seafoid. It’s a vicious claim, that you simply cannot back up with evidence.

My country, just like yours, has proven itself more than capable of assassinating its enemies without the need for a lengthy and embarrassing trial.

I admit my country’s responsibility in the tragic death of Rachel Corrie, but your claim that her death was the intention of the Israeli government “pour encourager les autres” is deranged.

Please give examples of hatred pouring from my government for Rachel Corrie.

• GuiltyFeat says:

@LeaNder

“Look, we all know that the IDF could never, ever do such a thing. Why do you think it’s worth again, and again telling us? Any other nation on earth. But Israel, never!”

You haven’t understood me at all. I have never said that Israel, like the US, the UK and Hamas, can’t and doesn’t murder its enemies. I just think we don’t back over them with bulldozers.

• Woody Tanaka says:

“I just think we don’t back over them with bulldozers.”

No, you fuckers drove forward over her.

• GuiltyFeat says:

My apologies. Of course you are correct.

And thanks also for illustrating exactly in which direction the hatred is pouring.

What proportion of Israelis (I assume you meant Israelis) do you include in your expression “you fuckers”. All of us? Just the adults? Just the Jews? Just the Zionists?

Your anger is righteous. Its target is too broad.

• Chaos4700 says:

Remind me again, was it our anger or your anger that sets babies on fire with white phosphorous?

• Mooser says:

Oh this is awful! I just thought a bad thought! How many Jews did I kill, Guilty Feat.

• Donald says:

“Its target is too broad.”

GF, okay, the target is too broad. But doesn’t it look like there is a a policy to show reckless disregard for the lives and/or safety of protestors sometimes? (Or all the time–I don’t know enough about how things go at every protest.) Somebody or some portion of the government would be responsible for this. It’s how someone like Emily Henochowicz lost her eye last year.

• GuiltyFeat says:

“But doesn’t it look like there is a a policy to show reckless disregard for the lives and/or safety of protesters sometimes?”

Yes. It does. I would say that there is a policy of disregard for protesters (prettied up somehow as primary regard for our soldiers while everything else is secondary). I would say further that such a policy of priorities and “regard” will inevitably translate into pockets of “reckless disregard” among the rank and file.

I don’t believe my government has a policy of harming protesters, but I do believe that the harm that occurs is the inevitable result of other policies when filtered through an army of teenagers. That makes my government responsible.

Please note, I did not serve in the IDF and my children have not been called up yet, so my comments are my own opinion and not based on any knowledge of specific policies or military commands.

• LeaNder says:

maybe it all started with the Judaization of Arab food, which has been mentioned here. By now I discovered too that “Israeli salad” is exactly identical to the kind of salad, I know from Arab friends, among other things.

I have to admit I found it mildly funny. But that may have to do with the fact that I learned quickly in the post 911 US universe to mention the high level of Arab culture in Spain and it’s influence e.g. on the the European scholastics is absolutely verboten in the US. I was viciously attacked for daring to by the hawkishly-light-unto-the nation-mindset, like Daniel Pipe’s audience. But in that context I also noticed , for the English English Wikipedia it isn’t the basic historical fact it is over here. What happened to our British friends, have been taken over. Can’t they add a little European wisdom once in a while?

• Danaa says:

GF, You should have seen the not-so-flattering descriptions of DSK – ranging from short, fat, old man (by quintessential finance fellow, Ben Stein, who has something to do with finance, but one is never sure what), to once- imperious-reduced-to-just another stocky, dowdy-looking, sour-tinged middle-aged, past-his-prime male of the species, caught with his hand in the cookie-jar (that last one I had something to do with, knife-twisting female chauvinist that I am).

Don’t be too taken aback now – they throw “menopausal”, you throw balding, slack-jowled, tone-deaf gent right back. The rest is pure mud-wrestling trading accusations of middle-age-hood (which I always win, BTW – tips available)

Besides, not everyone had Phil’s very excellent sensitivity training deftly administered at home, in the halls of action and on his very own blog. That’s why I don’t have one (blog, I mean). I dread failing those sensitivity sessions….

2. Kathleen says:

One young man that I talked with as he was getting in the very long line of Aipac lobbyist going into see their Reps had been challenged by someone else about Rachel Corrie’s death. He shouted out the “Palestinians killed Rachel Corrie” I asked him to step aside to discuss his lie (called it a comment) The nerves along his jaw were twitching, he gulped and I quietly said Adam you know this is a lie. You know this is a lie. He finally admitted that he did not even know who Rachel Corrie was or anything about her. Just responded in his well trained way “always the Palestinians fault”

We went onto discuss Rachel Corries killing. As we parted I said to him try to keep your mind open and do more research and look for the facts

3. annie says:

thank you again Hatim Kanaaneh! wonderful wonderful!

i love it!

4. Taxi says:

Brilliant satire for such a grim and gruesome occasion.

5. Kathleen says:

“The judge missed Mubarak, I figured.”
    “. She kept sticking her tongue at me. Except that it was definitely forked.”

At the last event of the Move over Aipac conference. Prof Dorgan, the human rights attorney’s, Phillis Benning, Colonel Ann Wright all hammered the lack of response out of Secretary of State Clinton and other state Dept officials negligence in the deaths of American citizens. Colonel Ann Wright had several copies of letters that she had written to Clinton.

Hope Move over Aipac invites the Corries to speak next year?

They are incredibly remarkable and honorable people.

• Woody Tanaka says:

“Wonder how much support the Corries are getting from US officials in regard to accountability?”

Well, the article does mention that “American embassy staff” were present. Whether that staff was carrying the Israeli’s briefcase is left unsaid.

6. eee says:

Hatim Kanaaneh is an hypocrite. When was the last time he did something in support of a true peace, or was he too busy taking a vacation in Spain? These Arab Israelis are such second class citizens. Their vacations in Spain are only 2 weeks while those of Jews are three weeks! (I’m sure Avi can find this statistic)

• James North says:

3e: Your kneejerk defense of Israel has left you so humorless that you don’t recognize Hatim Kanaaneh’s brilliant sense of humor, including the wonderfully self-deprecating kind. One informal cross-cultural survey I read found that Ashkenazi Jews had one of the highest recorded senses of humor, but it looks like much of that has been lost in Israel.

• eee says:

James North,

Oh, how funny, Hatim vacations in Spain. The guy is not attempting humor. The guy is an hypocritical self aggrandizer that does not see how silly his whole position is.

• piotr says:

I am a little at loss here. Yes, Hatim is guilty of taking vacation in Spain. He is also guilty of long meandering anecdotes and somewhat peculiar sense of humor. But at which point his vacations contribute to the charge of “hypocrisy”? The last time I checked, it was documented that even such pillars of rectitude like PM Netanyahu enjoy vacations (of course, certain below-high income people can enjoy vacations only when their friends are paying but this shows only how hard it is not to fall from the straight and narrow of a principled narrative into shoals of meandering anecdotes).

Sadly, Hatim does not summarize the latest of Corrie’s case. What I recall, IDF blame was soundly refuted: nobody have seen Corrie and all tried to warn her. Plus, nobody has any recollection of anything. Which actually explains a lot (with sufficiently low mental capacity, one can easily confuse a chicken farm or a UN facility for an ultra-dangerous piece of the terrorist infrastructure).

• LeaNder says:

Sadly, Hatim does not summarize the latest of Corrie’s case.

Piotr, he went there, thus he must be interested in the case. If he uses falling-asleep-as-a-tool-of poetic-license to make his point, doesn’t this tell us that maybe there wasn’t anything to report? …

He tells us some things. Doesn’t he? He tells us who the main witness was, he tells us that he has mixed feelings about that witness. That he initially is hopeful when the women enters. He obviously hopes she will add something new. …

The second to last paragraph tells you all he can tell you. Both sides hurl the usual stereotypes at each other:

Could he have used the dream metaphor, for his initial expectation that the whole process maybe would be different?

• Woody Tanaka says:

LOL. Writing about this trial, borne of the murder of another who was working for true peace, is, I’m sure, more than you’ve done for peace in your whole god-foresaken life.

• Mooser says:

Woody, I don’t think “eee” is a “peace” kind of guy. In fact, he’s all soldier! And I happen to know he’s received a medal from the IDF for marksmanship (he can spit further and more accurately than anybody else in his unit). And brave? Oy, such bravery! You should see him when he’s confronted by an old Palestinian women at a checkpoint! Why, he shows no sign of fear. His UZI barrel never wavers. He’s not even scared of rocks! Only from Zionism such bravery you get.

7. Bumblebye says:

I sincerely hope the good doctor doesn’t snore, or he may suffer the wrath of the grumpy judge and we may be deprived in future of his wonderful tales!

8. Mooser says:

I’m telling you, Phil and Adam are going to get in big trouble for kidnapping all those hasbaratchniks, forcing them to read Mondoweiss, and forcing them to comment.
    How dispicable, forcing those highminded young men (women? And I thought Judaism had such well-defined gender roles! Turns out Hasbara is androgynous!) to read a blog full of offensive hypocritical lies and bigotry, and then forcing them to comment, instead of letting them go away. Gosh, I don’t know how he gets away with it.

• annie says:

if only they could leave on their own volition will they’d be singin’ “i’m so miserable without you it’s almost like having you here”

• Mooser says:

Well, it’s not fair. Considering how low their opinions are of Mondoweiss, its posters, its commenters and its owners it is inhuman to force them to read and comment continuously on it.
        I think Phil and Adam should loose their bonds and let them crawl, slither, ooze or sneak away to freedom, as their nature dictates.

• piotr says:

I really resent your neologism. -nik is a distinctly Slavic ending which is also used in Yiddish, but hasbara seems to be a Semitic word, so we should stick to Semitic suffixes.

I thought hasbara -> hasbarat (he) and hasbarata (she) -> hasbaratim but my knowledge of Semitic tongues is scant. But -nik? Please! We could as well have hastarateira, or hasbarois, or hasbaratinos (or los esbaratinos)?

Moreover, as long as we do not see their faces and not too much schlepping outside the house is involved, women should be perfectly welcome as hasbaratim. Some are wives of rabbis!

9. straightline says:

No annie – we need them – irritating as they are with their constant repetition of the same old lies. This blog is also being read by those who have not yet understood, who have until now been fed on a diet of MSM misdirection. We need the hasbaratchniks. By demonstrating – as the wonderful contributors to Mondoweiss do time and time again – the humourless, inhumane, hypocritical, inconsistent, misleading, and desperate nature of the hasbaratchnik arguments we win those readers to our cause. Kanaaneh writes a beautiful piece of prose replete with allegory and metaphor and humour and the hasbaratchniks respond with vitriol.

• Mooser says:

Straightline, the thing that keeps me fascinated with the “hasbaratchiks” (thanks, piotr!) is the question of who on earth they think they are appealing to? Do they really think that people will read them and say to themselves ‘Oh boy, this “EEE”(or whichever one you choose) is hot stuff, just like Mother makes. I want to be just like him, and I can’t wait to turn my kids over to any system which produces fine, straight, clean-limbed and classy guys like that!’
      I realised, although it took me till early this year, that wasn’t at all what they were trying to do.
      In fact they want to do the opposite. Their self-appointed (I’m being generous) job is the opposite; they want to convince people that Jews are violent, bigoted, hateful and ignorant.
      If they can do anything, no matter how slight, to convince people that Jews can’t be lived with or reasoned with, or most especially, appealed to, that is what they will do.
      Their dream, of course, is that the world will reject the Jews as fellow citizens, and Jews will be turned over to the Zionists. Then Jews who can act as fellow humans will be turned over to them, and they can punish them for it.
      Crazy? Maybe, but you got a better explanation? Or maybe Phil immediately deletes the thousands of comments pouring in saying ‘Thanks to reading “eee” and Richard Witty, I have seen the light and now totally agree with Israel, where do I sign up to kill Arabs?’
      Yeah, that’s it, Phil must be deleting those letters. No, I bet Phil makes “EEE” and Guilty Feat delete those letters while they are tied up and forced to read and comment on Mondoweiss. My God, what sophisticated cruelty!!
      “EEE” use the eye-blink code to tell me where your being held. Me an’ the Litvaks will bust you out of there, sure as my name is Derbig Mooser!

• Mooser says:

I don’t now, maybe I’m just jealous. After all, my comments wander hither and thither, they shill and shally, while our trolls adhere to a consistent formula:

1. Israel Rocks!
        2. Arabs Suck!
        3. You Suck!
        4. Okay, the Whole World Sucks!

• Taxi says:

Hey Mooser,

Ever thought of setting up a zio-detox center on Capitol Hill?

Or maybe something 12 step-ish like A.A.

Z.A.

Zionist Anonymous meetings would be such a hoot for you to host!

It’ll be good for mankind too.

• James North says:

Mooser: Wheels within wheels, you never know. There is another explanation; Phil and Adam actually remunerate Richard Witty and certain others, recognizing that their intemporate and incomprehensible comments drive more and more people into the anti-Netanyahu camp. What do you think?

• annie says:

their intemperate and incomprehensible comments drive more and more people into the anti-Netanyahu camp. What do you think?

this has been a theory of mine for awhile. i’m revving up for a real show over on the ‘eternal rights’ thread. should be fun.

• Mooser says:

James, as far as I know, Phil and I share the same basic religion. Why on earth would he pay for something he can get for free?

10. Cheryl says:

I think it is important to note that it may go beyond “protesters”. In a six week period of time in the same area of Gaza -a two mile stretch (so the same battalions/commanders could be involved) three people who were documenting IDF activity were killed: Writer Rachel Corrie, Photographer Tom Hurndall (died later), and HBO DocumenterJames Miller. Interestingly, Rachel wrote of the concern that under the media intensity surrounding the invasion of Iraq, Gaza would be forgotten and with eyes averted toward Iraq, Israel would make a change the facts on the ground move.

11. Cheryl says:

I think it is also important to note in reference to this trial that the U.S. government is already on record as stating that the investigation carried out by the IDF and signed off on by Military Adjutant General Finkelstein finding no fault with the IDF, that this investigation without equivocation did not meet the standard of a thorough credible transparent investigation. It is also important to note that when Prime Minister Sharon spoke to U.S. representatives he placed the investigation under Dov Weisglas, his chief of staff to oversee. Again, the bulldozer driver and bulldozer commander have contradictory statements regarding whether the bulldozer ran over her. But in the trial, the company commander, situated in a nearby APC states that it was clear to him as he approached Rachel’s place of death with the bulldozer still sitting nearby and tracks readily observable that the bulldozer had run over her.
    My point is that the Sharon government at the highest levels put forth a narrative to anyone interested, but especially to Congress, that ignored contradictions and knowdedge from those on the ground.