The HSRC commissioned an international team of scholars and practitioners of international public law from South Africa, the United Kingdom, Israel and the West Bank to conduct the study. The resulting 300-page draft, titled Occupation, Colonialism, Apartheid?: A re-assessment of Israel’s practices in the occupied Palestinian territories under international law, represents 15 months of research and constitutes an exhaustive review of Israel’s practices in the OPT according to definitions of colonialism and apartheid provided by international law. The project was suggested originally by the January 2007 report by eminent South African jurist John Dugard, in his capacity as Special Rapporteur to the United Nations Human Rights Council, when he indicated that Israel practices had assumed characteristics of colonialism and apartheid . . .
Regarding apartheid, the team found that Israel’s laws and policies in the OPT fit the definition of apartheid in the International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid. Israeli law conveys privileges to Jewish settlers and disadvantages Palestinians in the same territory on the basis of their respective identities, which function in this case as racialised identities in the sense provided by international law. Israel’s practices are corollary to five of the six ‘inhuman acts’ listed by the Convention. A policy of apartheid is especially indicated by Israel’s demarcation of geographic ‘reserves’ in the West Bank, to which Palestinian residence is confined and which Palestinians cannot leave without a permit. The system is very similar to the policy of ‘Grand Apartheid’ in apartheid South Africa, in which black South Africans were confined to black homelands delineated by the South African government, while white South Africans enjoyed freedom of movement and full civil rights in the rest of the country.
The Executive Summary of the report says that the three pillars of apartheid in South Africa are all practiced by Israel in the OPT. In South Africa, the first pillar was to demarcate the population of South Africa into racial groups, and to accord superior rights, privileges and services to the white racial group. The second pillar was to segregate the population into different geographic areas, which were allocated by law to different racial groups, and restrict passage by members of any group into the area allocated to other groups. And the third pillar was “a matrix of draconian ‘security’ laws and policies that were employed to suppress any opposition to the regime and to reinforce the system of racial domination, by providing for administrative detention, torture, censorship, banning, and assassination.”
The Report finds that Israeli practices in the OPT exhibit the same three ‘pillars’ of apartheid:
The first pillar “derives from Israeli laws and policies that establish Jewish identity for purposes of law and afford a preferential legal status and material benefits to Jews over non-Jews”.
The second pillar is reflected in “Israel’s ‘grand’ policy to fragment the OPT [and] ensure that Palestinians remain confined to the reserves designated for them while Israeli Jews are prohibited from entering those reserves but enjoy freedom of movement throughout the rest of the Palestinian territory. This policy is evidenced by Israel’s extensive appropriation of Palestinian land, which continues to shrink the territorial space available to Palestinians; the hermetic closure and isolation of the Gaza Strip from the rest of the OPT; the deliberate severing of East Jerusalem from the rest of the West Bank; and the appropriation and construction policies serving to carve up the West Bank into an intricate and well-serviced network of connected settlements for Jewish-Israelis and an archipelago of besieged and non-contiguous enclaves for Palestinians”.
The third pillar is “Israel’s invocation of ‘security’ to validate sweeping restrictions on Palestinian freedom of opinion, expression, assembly, association and movement [to] mask a true underlying intent to suppress dissent to its system of domination and thereby maintain control over Palestinians as a group.”
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 89
- Cornell student government puts the kibosh on divestment debate 2
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an 11
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel 43
- American citizen, translator and student—Mariam Barghouti arrested and detained in … 10
- NY Times profile of Gazan long distance runner reveals reality … 6
- Let God’s people go — and return, too 2
- Roger Ailes demands NY village official take down ‘Facebook’ post. … 3
- Why are two Republican congressmen doing a walkabout on the … 0
- About that special relationship… 0
- Two desperate anti-Semitism charges, from Foxman and Boteach 0
- Israel to annex 1,000 dunam of Palestinian land; Peace Now … 0
- A prayer for Passover 0
- It’s time to reveal the Israeli role in the US … 0
- ‘Secret’ London conference seeks to link BDS to… terrorism 0
- To reach the ‘moveable middle’ in Jewish life, you must … 0
- Simon Schama’s Israel whitewash 158
- ‘Poof’ — Kerry blames Israel for breakdown of talks (Updated) 144
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 110
- 66 years ago today 42 members of my family were … 107
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 104
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 100
- 6 DC heavyweights tell Kerry, Netanyahu in West Bank is … 99
- The Jewish community must not embrace Ayaan Hirsi Ali 97
- RT @aptly_engineerd: My friend's cousin, a US citizen, has been arrested by Israeli police for translating at protests. What democracy? http://t.co/EOVKhaPvry, 3 hours ago
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: The smears leveled at me & others this week were not an assault, but a desperate defensive action by those terrified by the arc of history., 3 hours ago
- Updated: Remote-control weapon installed atop wall near Bethlehem may shoot water/skunk water instead of live ammo http://t.co/c2gMBYyA4J, 5 hours ago
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an http://t.co/c2gMBYyA4J, 5 hours ago
- RT @henrystreetedit: Israel arrests and detains US citizen, translator and student Mariam Barghouti http://t.co/wuB1Uusib4 #FreeMariam, 5 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an (11)
- Henry Norr: From “Remote-control machine gun repairs just got quicker” Jerusalem Post 5/24/2013...
- Sumud: Thanks Henry I was going to mention Cook’s article myself. FYI the original version at The National is...
- talknic: Most likely device like a water cannon http://www.maannews.net/images /PhotoViewer/275053.jpg
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link Max Blumenthal to KC shooter suspect (89)
- Philip Munger: My exchange with MJ today: Philip Munger @PhilipMunger @MJayRosenberg Is there a place in your heart...
- Donald: “If you want to limit the power of Zionist activism, then you have to change the paradigm for activism...
- talknic: yonah fredman Your concerns are so touching…. Say, Is anyone gonna die because of anything Max...
- NY Times profile of Gazan long distance runner reveals reality of occupation (6)
- David Samel: Just to add one thing. The Times headline reads “Mideast Tensions Sideline a Gazan Marathon...
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel (43)
- Sumud: Friedman has to maintain the fairy tale about the apartheid wall for 2 reasons: - Palestinians are savages...
- Roger Ailes demands NY village official take down ‘Facebook’ post. She says no (3)
- dbroncos: … Watergate hit him “like a stomach punch” A punch that disappeared up to the elbow.
- American citizen, translator and student—Mariam Barghouti arrested and detained in West Bank (10)
- talknic: Copies of the Privacy Act Waiver can be signed and safely in the hands of your family in advance.
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an (11)