Busted by Goldberg, Klein now says commas caused war in Iraq, not neocons

Joe Klein
Joe Klein

Joe Klein’s short piece saying that Ron Paul is surging because Americans don’t want their kids to fight for Israel’s national security elicited a reprimand from an “incensed” Jeffrey Goldberg. Klein has now written a followup piece about 10 times as long as the original, explaining with Talmudic precision why he didn’t say what I thought he said. It includes an exegesis on commas. Attention!

A few hours ago, I received an anguished email from my friend Jeff Goldberg, who was incensed that I’d written this sentence:

“It’s another thing entirely to send American kids off to war, yet again, to fight for Israel’s national security.” [emphasis his]

Jeff had jumped to a silly conclusion. I was concerned about sending American kids off to war yet again. I separated the phrase with commas in order to emphasize the too-many-times we’ve sent our troops overseas in the past decade. It might have been more accurate if I’d written “to send American kids off to war yet again–this time, to fight for Israel’s national security.” Which I believe is what the warmongering against Iran is all about. But the thought that we’d gone to war in the past, especially in Iraq, to fight for Israel’s national security was nowhere in my mind. Nowhere. I don’t believe we’ve ever gone to war to fight for Israel’s national security. Period.

Kind of pathetic. And let’s be clear. This is a Jewish drama, sort of like Biff and Happy arguing at night upstairs in the desperate Loman household.

The next dozen paragraphs are much better. Including some talk about the Israel lobby, the Jewish portion of which has nothing on the Christian lobby. A catechism, Joe: How many Christian Zionists do you know personally? How many are in the Democratic party, or in the media, and how many have sent you sharp notes when you criticized Israel? What do you think of the spiritual advice that one should not criticize the mote in someone else’s eye when there’s a beam in your own?

More Klein:

I think any sort of pre-emptive bombing campaign against Iran would be more of the same sort of thoughtless, macho, neo-colonialism as we suffered during the Bush years…

I’ve supported Israel’s right to exist all my life–I even supported the Israeli strike into Gaza a few years ago; you simply can’t allow an enemy to continue lobbing rockets at your civilians. But I do have grave differences with the Netanyahu government, particularly when it comes to the illegal settlements on the West Bank. And I find that the tendency to dehumanize all Arabs, especially Palestinians, and all Persians to be un-Jewish in the extreme.

Jewish tradition and culture has always been about tolerance and understanding in a world too often hateful and barbaric. It’s very distressing when the thugs and barbarians turn out to be Jewish, but that, sadly, is what we’ve been seeing–especially since Barack Obama became President.

1. Gellian
    December 20, 2011, 8:31 am

This remark is really funny:

“And I find that the tendency to dehumanize all Arabs, especially Palestinians, and all Persians to be un-Jewish in the extreme.”

Not to be impertinent, but on the evidence of the last decade (at least) I find this tendency to be quintessentially Jewish in the extreme.

I wish it weren’t, though.

2. Bill in Maryland
    December 20, 2011, 8:40 am

Joe Klein has a conscience and earns my respect with his honest observation:

• dahoit
      December 20, 2011, 10:10 am

Well,one has to take mea culpas as they come,and this Klein episode is a sign that the overreach of Zionist politics in America has come to at least their attention if not a sign of retreat.
      Yesterday,here in NY,I got a robo call from a distressed woman’s voice telling that we made a big mistake letting Obomba be POTUS,and we should support Hillary Clinton(sheesh).At that I killed it,but maybe I should have let her ramble to the end to see what org.she was affiliated with.Maybe some Zio org that is unhappy with his total fealty to Israel?Insanity.

• pabelmont
        December 20, 2011, 12:47 pm

Dahoit, I got the same call and stopped it at the same point. Is Hillary thinking of running in 2012 (after she resigns as SoS)?

We on this web-site (those who mostly agree with Phil and Adam) are “enthusiasts” for a position and should not be surprised at the enthusiams of the other side, which has had, after all, a much longer gestation, generally.

3. eGuard
    December 20, 2011, 8:53 am

Weiss, only yesterday: And Klein is a liberal Zionist! link to mondoweiss.net

And pop goes the “liberal Zionist”. He adds eight paragraphs of hasbare distractions (send in the Christian Evangelicals!). All within 24 hrs — that I had not put my money on.

4. Gellian
    December 20, 2011, 8:56 am

Another thing. Klein writes, “…I received an anguished email…” from Goldberg.

I challenge you, Mr. Klein: release that email for us your readers, and let us decide whether the tone is indeed anguished, or perhaps something else.

Release the email in its entirely.

• NickJOCW
      December 20, 2011, 3:04 pm

Yes I would like to see that too. Klein needs be more economical with his comma sprinkler. The use of the two commas expresses precisely the meaning Goldberg took from the sentence whereas without the first comma it conveys what Klein says he meant to write. Perhaps his distress is being caught flagrante in such grammatical inelegance.

• Les
      December 20, 2011, 5:48 pm

Yes. The world wants to know what was the message Corporal Goldberg dashed off to Klein.

5. Donald
    December 20, 2011, 9:25 am

“I even supported the Israeli strike into Gaza a few years ago; you simply can’t allow an enemy to continue lobbing rockets at your civilians. ”

More evidence that if you repeat a half-truth often enough it becomes true in the minds of the typical American pundit. Nothing of what the Israelis did to Gaza matters–Palestinian deaths don’t matter, the blockade doesn’t matter. Whenever any of these clowns (Friedman, Klein, etc…) says something that happens to be correct it doesn’t mean they’ve become honest–they are just acting as weathervanes.

• David Samel
      December 20, 2011, 9:48 am

I quite agree, Donald, though I would not characterize Klein and Friedman as weathervanes. I think they both occasionally (very occasionally) blunder onto a truth, and once they realize they inadvertently stuck their necks out, they try to pull them back in while minimizing the embarrassment, if possible. I think Phil sometimes misinterprets these events as a significant change in public discourse out of a rosy optimism that is often, but not always, a positive quality. Friedman and Klein did not recognize their heresy and courageously choose to defy the conventional orthodoxy. They simply failed to anticipate the shitstorm they were stepping into. I anticipate that both will be duly chastened, focus on their more “acceptable” opinions, and refrain from making similar mistakes in the near future. Klein already has started on that path, and looks rather silly.

• Donald
        December 20, 2011, 10:11 am

“I quite agree, Donald, though I would not characterize Klein and Friedman as weathervanes. I think they both occasionally (very occasionally) blunder onto a truth, and once they realize they inadvertently stuck their necks out, they try to pull them back in while minimizing the embarrassment, if possible.”

I’m not sure there’s much of a difference between your interpretation and mine. I don’t doubt that people do occasionally tell the truth, not realizing that it might get them in trouble because others in their political and social circles are saying these things in private. My guess is that Tom Friedman and Joe Klein are echoing what is said by people in the liberal Zionist camp in the Democratic Party. They are probably getting very impatient with Netanyahu, both over the Palestinian issue and Iran, and this is leaking out via people like Tom Friedman and Klein.

• Krauss
      December 20, 2011, 10:00 am

I think that is a bit too harsh. Klein was ambivalent on much of his commentary around the Iraq war(save for a one-off TV panel), but I think even he would agree that he was too afraid to stick his neck out, even if he held deeper doubts inside, and he shouldn’t have kept quiet, which we can now see.

The American media was in a frenzy. ‘Everyone’ was for the war. George Packer was the only one according to himself on the New Yorker staff who wasn’t, and that is a supposedly ‘liberal’ magazine.

Klein strikes me as a flawed human being, like the rest of us, but he tries to better himself and admits without apology that he was wrong. I don’t think he wants to be seen as a passive yes man in the run up of an eventual Iranian disaster, which would be far worse than Iraq was, like he in some ways was in the run-up to Iraq.

Also, he has been taking on the neocons at a much earlier stage than most of liberal Jewry. These days even people like Leslie H. Gelb is warning against them(despite the fact that he is knee-deep in their circles). That shows how the wind has turned and it’s now okay to be skeptical of messianic bloodbaths, even if the usual howls of isolationism remains(and whiffs of self-hating Jew for the members of the tribe who dare to cross the bridge).

Klein doesn’t want to get that far, but as I delinate below, he doesn’t have much choice left. In the end, he has to choose. Truth, as journalism is supposed to be about, or bowing to the gatekeepers of the Jewish community, Goldberg.

But there may be a third way here. Friedman’s already on it, Remnick is drawing closer. Klein is there. The neocons are losing in strength, but they are still much stronger than the opposition. But for how much longer?

• Donald
        December 20, 2011, 10:15 am

Well, I won’t claim to be certain of Klein’s motives in particular, though back in the days when I occasionally visited his website I wasn’t impressed. But anyway, I think my general point is true–you can’t put much stock in most of America’s pundit class, liberal or conservative. The conservatives are largely insane and the liberals are cowards. It’s a self-selected world. If they weren’t the kind of people they are they wouldn’t have the jobs they have.

• seafoid
        December 20, 2011, 2:51 pm

This is awesome

Seumus Milne at the UK Guardian on the 7 rules of Western imperialism in the Middle East with Pathe newsreels as evidence

link to guardian.co.uk

And along the same theme via NYR coverage there is this

link to nybooks.com

“At a bridge leading into the town of Muwaffaqiyah, Fick’s unit is ambushed on three sides, and a sergeant, shot in the foot, begins to bleed profusely. The Marines then open up on their attackers, killing some and causing the rest to flee. Pulling back a couple of kilometers, the Marines again complain about the reckless way in which they’ve been deployed. Meanwhile, they watch as artillery batteries pummel Muwaffaqiyah. Exploding DPICM shells scatter lethal clusters over wide areas. A-10 fighter jets belch out deafening machine-gun fire. Cobra helicopters, low-flying and menacing, launch rockets and grenades. When the platoon is finally able to enter the town, they see that large sections of it have been leveled. On the rooftops are an undetermined number of bodies—victims of the shrapnel from the cluster rounds. “We had one guy shot in the foot, and we blew up their whole town,” a Marine tells Wright.”

Entering the city with the Marines, Wright gets to see just how devastating the impact has been. Smoke curls from collapsed structures, and houses facing the road are pockmarked and cratered. The corpses of Iraqi attackers are scattered on the road leading out of the city. Run over repeatedly by tracked vehicles, “they are flattened, with their entrails squished out.”

It is pure evil and the US and Israel are right at the heart of it. The rest of the West follows behind. But the Jewish state has defined itself by this system.

• Annie Robbins
          December 20, 2011, 2:57 pm

jeez, the opening of that link seafoid:

a civilian candy truck tried to merge with a column of our armored vehicles, only to get run over and squashed. The occupants were smashed beyond recognition. Our first sight of death was a man and his wife both ripped open and dismembered, their intestines strewn across shattered boxes of candy bars. The entire platoon hadn’t eaten for twenty-four hours. We stopped, and as we stood guard around the wreckage, we grew increasingly hungry. Finally, I stole a few nibbles from one of the cleaner candy bars. Others wiped away the gore and fuel from the wrappers and joined me.

war is so evil

• Dan Crowther
          December 20, 2011, 3:09 pm

I would recommend that everyone read that NYR article – that is about as close as it gets to the real thing….. part of being a Marine is constantly “adapting” to worse and worse conditions – starting with boot camp, infantry school, specialty school, unit work ups and deployment embarks all the way through real deployments…by the time a Marine leaves American soil, he is absolutely nothing like the person he was…took me a long while to re-discover my humanity…its not a sick and twisted version of the former person, just one that can literally “adapt” to anything without any emotional attachment, everything becomes a linear equation ( If x then y) and so on…..

its no wonder why they bring in marine drill instructors to fortune 500 company board rooms to give tutorials…..

semper fidelis,

D

• seafoid
          December 20, 2011, 3:58 pm

Iraq had a civil society in the 1910s. It had universities and trades unions and women who were educated. Nobody then could have imagined the hell that Zionism and oil would bring to the region.

link to haaretz.com
          The Arab attempt since the start of the 20th century to understand the Zionist movement has long produced mixed feelings. A new Arabic monthly, Lughat al-Arab (“the Arabic language”), began publication in Baghdad 100 years ago. The third issue, from September 1911, contains an investigative report by the editor called “The Founder of Zionism.” “Many talk about Zionism nowadays, but most of the people don’t know what it’s about,” he wrote.

• Woody Tanaka
          December 20, 2011, 4:33 pm

Thank you for that link seafoid.

My question: Where are the fucking trials?? This — “We had one guy shot in the foot, and we blew up their whole town,” a Marine tells Wright — is a confession to a war crime, at the least, and perhaps a crime against humanity. Where the trials?

• Dan Crowther
          December 21, 2011, 1:39 pm

Great Question, Woody…..

• straightline
      December 20, 2011, 2:27 pm

Just so that newcomers do not believe that canard about lobbing rockets. Apologies to the regulars who know the truth though eee and hophmi might need a reminder.

• Richard Witty
        December 20, 2011, 2:40 pm

link to en.wikipedia.org

Check your youtube postings numbers.

• john h
          December 20, 2011, 3:53 pm

Check your head, your heart, your partisanship, and your motivation.

• straightline
          December 20, 2011, 4:15 pm

Witty is not partisan – he told us so. And he believes the Zionist patrolled Wikipedia over Channel 4 and indeed Mark Regev who never lies of course.

• Richard Witty
          December 20, 2011, 4:42 pm

You prefer lying propaganda to candid discussion?

• Donald
          December 20, 2011, 4:55 pm

Your link actually shows what is well-known–Hamas observed the ceasefire. There were a tiny number of rockets and/or mortar shells fired, but nothing in there indicates that Hamas fired them. Rather, they couldn’t establish 100 percent control (more like 99 percent).

• Shingo
          December 20, 2011, 5:00 pm

Check your youtube postings numbers.

Which confirms ISrale broke the ceasegire in 2008. Thank you Witty.

• Woody Tanaka
          December 20, 2011, 5:37 pm

“You prefer lying propaganda to candid discussion?”

Okay. Candid discussion. About one-hundred times as many people die from traffic accidents per year as in rocket attacks. Discuss. (Perhaps there is a neat youtube video about the danger of Israeli roads…)

• straightline
          December 20, 2011, 7:34 pm

Thanks guys – your help is much appreciated. I thought that Mark Regev gave a suitable answer – but Richard appears to prefer Wikipedia. Strange!

6. Krauss
    December 20, 2011, 9:40 am

Klein is stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    Tell the truth or be Goldstoned?
    (I was ambivalent about his report, to put it mildly, but I’m talking about him being declared cherem by the wider Jewish community until he recanted)

It’s not an easy choice for a man with a deep conscience for truth.
    They’re trying to guilt him into silence and they have not been that successful so far.

He is, at once, admitting the truth of Friedman’s words but also trotting out the canard of the omnipotent Christian Zionists. As you rightly ask: how many of these people are in influential positions, like Goldberg, in the media? How many of these constitute the donor base of the Democratic party?

How many of these have perches on the Op-Ed pages ranging from the WaPo, WSJ, La Times and, yes, occassionally the NYT too(but less and less so since the election of Bibi)?

Did the Republican candidates pander to Israel in front of CUFI or the Republican Jewish Coalition? Which one was it? And for what reasons?

Klein knows the answers to these questions, just like Tom Friedman(and frankly Jeffrey Goldberg too). But he isn’t supposed to notice, which is fine by me when it comes to most issues. But when it comes to Israel – and the clear links it’s domestic Likudnik allies have had to our disastrous neocon adventures, to pretend otherwise isn’t just cowardly – it’s a shanda.

7. Exiled At Home
    December 20, 2011, 9:54 am

I feel vindicated for my tirade against Klein yesterday. It’s been awhile since I’ve read him over at Swampland, so I felt just a tad bad about laying into him so hard. Not any more.

8. patm
    December 20, 2011, 11:19 am

A catechism, Joe: How many Christian Zionists do you know personally? How many are in the Democratic party, or in the media, and how many have sent you sharp notes when you criticized Israel?” Weiss

I’m guessing that for Klein the answer to all 3 questions is ‘none’.

But how much do any of us really know about Christian Zionists and their role as powerful lobbies in Canadian and U.S. politics?

Christian Zionists only watch and listen to church news we’ve been told here. We can’t reach out and talk to these folks; as a result we must concentrate our energies on their very un-Christian leaders, e.g. Haggee and company. Know thy enemies and follow their money, I say.

In order to get some idea of the actual number of Christian rapturists, it would be useful to find out how many Scofield Reference Bibles are sold each year.

Here’s an excerpt from Is the Pretribulation Rapture Biblical? by Brian M. Schwertley:

“The person most responsible for the rather widespread acceptance of Pretribulationalism and Dispensationalism among Evangelicals is Cyrus Ingerson Scofield (1843-1921).

C. I. Scofield published his Scofield Reference Bible in 1909. This Bible, which espoused the doctrines of [John Nelson]Darby in its notes, became very popular in Fundamentalist circles. In the minds of many a Bible teacher, fundamentalist pastor and multitudes of professing Christians, Scofield’s notes were practically equated with the word of God itself. If a person did not adhere to the Dispensational, Pretribulational scheme he or she would almost automatically be labeled a modernist.

Today there is a whole plethora of books advocating the pretribulation rapture theory and the Dispensational understanding of the end times. Given the fact that among professing Christians the pre-trib rapture is still wildly popular, a comparison of this theory with scriptural teaching is warranted. We will see that the typical arguments offered in favor of this theory are in conflict with the Bible.”

link to reformedonline.com

• john h
      December 20, 2011, 3:59 pm

Their news is Zionist Israel news; it is claustrophobic.

Surely what matters is not their number but their financial and/or spiritual influence on those elected or vying for election.

• lysias
      December 20, 2011, 7:04 pm

I once bought a Scofield Reference Bible. As a matter of fact, I still have it and use it — constantly. It sits on my desk right now, as I struggle through the Old High German translation of Tatian’s Diatesseron conflation of the Four Gospels, in an attempt to learn Old High German. My buying that Bible had nothing to do with my accepting Darby/Scofield theology. I don’t. I’m a Catholic. It was just the cheapest edition of the King James Bible available to me at the time I set out, many years ago, to buy a King James Bible.

• tombishop
      December 20, 2011, 8:42 pm

Those wanting to look into the origins of Christian Zionism may find this video interesting. (Note: It’s an hour long.)

“The Roots of Christian Zionism: How Scofield Sowed Seeds of Apostasy”

link to vimeo.com

9. W.Jones
    December 20, 2011, 11:30 am

Also from Klein’s piece:
    Update: In a perfect example of neoconservative thuggery, Elliot Abrams accuses Friedman and me of “blood libel.” I like Elliot. I think he’s a pretty smart guy. But sometimes, a feckless shmuck.
    Read more: link to swampland.time.com

I remember reading someone else here on M.W. recently and jokingly leaving a comment that they were expecting a “blood libel” charge against a dissident writer.

Also, I am confused about the “I like Elliot” part.
    Isn’t that like Jon Stewart saying “I like Neoconservative commentator X”?

10. W.Jones
    December 20, 2011, 11:39 am

Klein writes: “It might have been more accurate if I’d written “to send American kids off to war yet again–this time, to fight for Israel’s national security.” Which I believe is what the warmongering against Iran is all about. But the thought that we’d gone to war in the past, especially in Iraq, to fight for Israel’s national security was nowhere in my mind. Nowhere. ”

OK, so this time he thinks going to war on Iran is about Israeli security, rather than WMDs (Iran’s wouldbe nukes), Democracy, or Iran’s oil.
    But he nowhere even considered that the invasion of Iraq wasn’t about democracy, WMDs, or Oil, and was about Israeli security.

In my opinion, oil is an important issue in the Iraqi invasion, but anyway, the logic here isn’t convincing for me because of the similarities in the reasons for war.

11. yourstruly
    December 20, 2011, 11:52 am

quarrels over who gets the blame for an unpopular u.s. war? is this a first? as iraq descends into civil war, though, expect the topic once again to shift to “who lost iraq”, reminiscent of the accusations, post-communist takeover of china, as to who lost china.

12. W.Jones
    December 20, 2011, 12:00 pm

Wikipedia’s entry called “Joe Klein” says that he already clearly said the Iraq invasion was at least partly stimulated in the media and politicians because of Israeli security:

In 2008, Klein caused controversy with comments on the motivations of neoconservatives, when he said:

“ The fact that a great many Jewish neoconservatives – people like Joe Lieberman and the crowd over at Commentary – plumped for this war, and now for an even more foolish assault on Iran, raised the question of divided loyalties: using U.S. military power, U.S. lives and money, to make the world safe for Israel

13. Kathleen
    December 20, 2011, 12:06 pm

Sorry to hear that Klein supported Israel’s war crimes in the Gaza. Is that a liberal zionist?

“It’s very distressing when the thugs and barbarians turn out to be Jewish, but that, sadly, is what we’ve been seeing–especially since Barack Obama became President.”

Wolfowitz, Feith, Addington, Wurmser, Micheal Rubin, plenty of Jewish thugs heavily involved in the run up to the invasion of Iraq. Involved with the false intelligence. Plenty of non Jewish war thugs too.

• eGuard
      December 20, 2011, 5:06 pm

Kathleen: Klein … Is that a liberal zionist?

Whatever. A zionist he is. And Phil expected his ilk to liberate Palestine.

Klein, as quoted: … barbarians turn out to be Jewish, [...] especially since Barack Obama became President

See, it’s his fault.

14. Jeffrey Blankfort
    December 20, 2011, 12:21 pm

Klein is clearly running scared, not just from Goldberg or Elliot Abrams who he could have reminded of his Iran-Contra past, but of being Goldstoned by the entire Jewish establishment which, we can be assured, is still mightily concerned over Friedman’s comments and the obvious fact that it is the pro-Israel establishment and only the pro-Israel establishment, plus the bootlicking pols anxious for its largesse, that is pushing for a war on Iran.

There was no mistaking the meaning of what Klein wrote and separating “yet again” with commas was merely applying proper punctuation.

• W.Jones
      December 20, 2011, 1:01 pm

Reading it the first time, I thought he was saying that Israeli security motivated the Iraq war.

Since the commas are on either side of the phrase “yet again”, I think it isn’t clear to which part of the sentence it belongs. Removing a comma on either side of “,yet again,” would clarify it. (Try it!)

But in any case, he does think that some politicians and media were motivated by Israeli security, as he says elsewhere.

15. dbroncos
    December 20, 2011, 12:32 pm

As journalists, Klein and Freidman want to be out in front of big stories and sea change moments. It seems that both of them recognize the growing undercurrent of contempt for Israel and her supporters and they want to break the story. As liberal Zionists, however, they’re easily cowed by Israel’s militant defenders. Still, their recent columns are telling and an important sign of the times.

• Chu
      December 20, 2011, 2:39 pm

Now that Klein’s original statement was said, it can’t be denied of what he thinks and what many of us agree with; the Operation Iraqi Freedom was encouraged by neoconservatives to help defend the state of Israel, because Saddam was paying suicide bombers, etc.
      With Iran now in the cross-hairs, is it any more obvious that the Iraq War was just the first domino to fall in the Clean Break Strategy?

• Pixel
      December 21, 2011, 12:20 am

Interesting assessment.

• jewishgoyim
      January 2, 2012, 7:00 pm

Right on! And to some extent, Mondoweiss, in a more honest and much less snicky way is riding the same wave. Except Phil is ten years ahead and has taken real risks…

16. straightline
    December 20, 2011, 3:37 pm

It seems that Klein has joined Friedman as an “existential threat”. How many does that make?

A disgusting Caroline Glick article from JP is posted by Antony Loewenstein here:

link to antonyloewenstein.com

It makes me almost feel sorry for Friedman – looking forward to the next instalment on Klein. No wonder that Goldstone wilted.

• W.Jones
      December 20, 2011, 3:56 pm

In my opinion, a bunch of negative press by itself shouldn’t be “no wonder” that it would make someone “wilt” after making a very deep and detailed report.

That is, there is still a “wonder” whether it was fear created in him by the negative press, feelings of closeness to the community that he didn’t want to be disrupted, or perhaps other forces acting on him.

• straightline
        December 20, 2011, 4:27 pm

I agree W.J – I was just being facetious.

• W.Jones
          December 20, 2011, 7:52 pm

Obviously they feel that they are criticizing something many times more powerful than they are, and are fearful how the phenomenon may react. But it probably isn’t the only story. If the person is brave enough and strong enough in his/her beliefs, he/she shouldnt be deterred from speaking the truth.

Unfortunately not all of us are so strong as we would like.

• jewishgoyim
          January 2, 2012, 7:02 pm

Yes. And there are consequences. Utter the truth 20 years too soon and one gets mercilessly rolled over! Be warned!

17. kalithea
    December 20, 2011, 3:42 pm

Not surprised; I pretty much dismissed the previous article because I knew he’d backtrack. With Zionists, deception and the cowardly tribal affiliation always ends up prevailing.

On another note, a serious discussion should be had on how the U.S. is funding and arming the Egyptian military who are bold enough to make statements like this.:

link to thelede.blogs.nytimes.com

If the Egyptian military is clinging to power; you can bet the U.S. benefactor is lurking in the shadows pulling their strings. Unfortunately for the Egyptians, they’re unintentionally foiling PNAC; Shia Iraqis might end up turning on the U.S. too, and I live for that day!

18. straightline
    December 20, 2011, 5:17 pm

If I may indulge in a flight of fancy – well the holiday season is nigh – suppose that Paul did win the Republican nomination. It’s a long shot but judging by the polling in Iowa not impossible. Who will they support – the Israel-firsters and their like? Paul’s nomination would significantly strengthen Obama’s hand in his game with Netanyahu – he’s on a long losing streak, though he has managed to hold the line on Iran so far. On the other hand I’m sure Bibi is onto this – expect dirty tricks in the coming weeks. Ron Paul should be very careful. Even without his nomination it is clear that Paul’s message is resonating with a significant part of the American public – something that other candidates might heed.

19. mudder
    December 20, 2011, 6:38 pm

Clearly Klein is more fearful of Jeff Goldberg’s wrath than Phil Weiss’s wrath. Goldberg is merely a writer for the Atlantic. His gigs are over at more influential NY Times, Washington Post, and Jerusalem Post. Why the fear? Is the Atlantic even relevant today? Monthly and weekly print periodicals are nearly dead, victims of instant information and opinion on the web. Their web sites will die too when the paying print subscriptions disappear.

20. RoHa
    December 20, 2011, 9:59 pm

Bad punctuation causes wars.

This is why I am so pernickety about correct grammar.

• patm
      December 21, 2011, 9:47 am

Bad punctuation causes wars. This is why I am so pernickety about correct grammar.

Is there a way to giggle and frown simultaneously? I may have just found it.