Nabi Saleh not allowed to bury their beloved son in peace

ActivismIsrael/Palestine

Mourners at the funeral of Mustafa Tamimi were attacked today with teargas, women were beaten and 8 people were arrested, 2 were Israelis and 6 were international solidarity activists, one of the activists at the funeral wrote the following:

“IOF soldiers were savagely beating anybody within their vicinity, three or four soldiers at a time grabbing men and throwing them to the floor, kicking them violently and stamping on their heads. As I stood back from the scene taking photographs, a soldier suddenly lunged towards us entirely unprovoked and threw one of the ISM activists I was with against the barrier of the road, doubling him over it as his body crashed to the ground.” Read more here

Also, an account of the violence in the Guardian here.

Pause for a moment and imagine the international outrage if this had occurred in Syria.  The UN would convene, the Arab League would impose more sanctions, Erdogan would make another speech. But alas it is Palestine and the only hope we have this will ever be addressed in any official capacity is for Matthew Lee from the Associated Press to bring it up with Victoria Nuland.  Nick Kristoff will ignore Palestine for the time being and reappear in a few months and ask if we found our Gandhi yet. Susan Rice will scowl down any attempt to criticize Israel over its insane violence. And, Obama will be increasing his financial and moral support to apartheid Israel on a daily basis until the election.

Yesterday activist Linah Alsaafin wrote an incredibly passionate piece on Electronic Intifada about the murder of Tamimi:

The images are tattooed forever inside my eyelids. A bloody pulp on one side of his face. The pool of blood rapidly increasing. (Mama, there was so much blood.) His mouth slightly open, lying supine on the cold road. His sister screaming, her face twisted in grief. The young men weeping, looking like little boys again.

I hate them for making us suffer

I loathe my enemy. I will never forgive, I will never forget. People who say such hatred transforms a person into a bitter cruel shell know nothing of the Israeli army. This hatred will not cripple me. What does that mean anyway? Do I not continue to write? Do I not continue to protest? Do I not continue to resist? Hating them sustains me, as opposed to normalizing with them. Their hatred of me makes reinforces the truth of their being murderous machines. My hatred of them makes me human.

I can’t sleep. The shock flows in and then dissipates, before flooding back in again. I see no justification is implementing such violence on a civilian population, no sense in the point-blank murder of a man whose rights are compromised, and whose land is colonized and occupied.

She was among those beaten today, she is pictured at the bottom of this pile of people that threw themselves on her to prevent her arrest.

tamimifuneral
(Photo: Activestills.org)

I recently told Linah that I felt Israelis now have her in their sights, she’s becoming a more visible and well known fixture at protests against Israel’s land theft. Here she is confronting Israeli soldiers on November 25, 2011:

I hope Linah makes a quick recovery from what transpired today, her anger is helping to sustain our struggle. Israel is right to fear her.

Below is a letter from activist Abir Kopty to Tamimi:

Dear comrade Mustafa

Last Friday, I wasn’t there… I couldn’t make it to Nabi Saleh and I regret.

I could not be there to stand with the brave people of Nabi Saleh in this difficult time, and I could not be there to say good bye.

Please forgive me Mustafa, when I first heard you were shot, and then saw the pictures, I had to struggle with my stomach feeling that you will not make it. And you did not. How would you survive tear gas canister shot in your face from 2 meters distance, and then delaying your treatment by the Israeli criminal army?

I remember your braveness during Nabi Saleh’s weekly rallies, facing the army with open chest. I apologize to you for not having your courage. Your life isn’t worth less than mine.

Today, Mustafa, we all cried during the protest we held in Ramallah. We decided first to make it silent, as a symbolic funeral. No one could remain silent, and we chanted like we never did.

It was the first demo I ever attended where most of the protesters were crying. Crying and screaming, crying and chanting, crying and singing.

Your murder Mustafa, made us feel so hopeless and powerless. We ask your forgiveness that we could not save your precious life.

Dear Mustafa, for the time being I’m afraid to make promises, as we have learned not to make promises bigger than us. I can only promise you that I will continue going to Nabi Saleh, I will not give up the hope, exactly as you didn’t. I promise you that your courage will keep inspiring me and giving me strength.

Rest in peace comrade.

1. tree
    December 11, 2011, 10:43 pm

Let’s get this typical bit of Zionist response crap out of the way immediately:

“What were those protesters thinking? Don’t they know that the IDF has a history of violently interfering with Palestinian funerals? This is just asking for trouble. What a stupid and unproductive move on the part of Palestinian resistance! And taking pictures? More provocation. (Of course, if there were no pictures, the Zios would insist this was all made up to make the most moral IDF look bad.) Better they should have all stayed home (assuming they still have homes that haven’t been demolished yet).

We now return you to your regular broadcast.

2. dumvitaestspesest
    December 11, 2011, 10:54 pm

Outrageous. Those IDF people are savages.
    They are behaving like mad dogs.

3. ToivoS
    December 11, 2011, 10:59 pm

Another Palestinian hero. Linah versus the IDF thugs. That is one incredible act of bravery. Americans are taught to worship the bravery of USAF pilots that drop bombs from 20,000 feet on defenseless villagers in Afghanistan. The biggest threat that they face is lack of sleep. And here we get to see true bravery on the part of a young Palestinian woman. When will the people of the US realize what it is we are supporting in Israel. If this story ever hits the mainstream discourse, US aid to Israel would be history. In fact we would see federal prosecutors in the US frog marching Zionist fund raisers for the IDF and the WB settlements being arrested for abetting terrorism. May that day come soon.

4. RoHa
    December 12, 2011, 1:55 am

No shame.
    No decency.
    No humanity.

5. asherpat
    December 12, 2011, 2:59 am

As a background (JP):

“IDF sources said that Tamimi was injured during a violent demonstration against Israeli security forces near the village of Nabi Salah in Samaria. Soldiers and border policemen fired tear gas to disperse the demonstrations. Palestinians said that Tamimi was hit in the face by a gas canister.

IDF troops treated him at the scene and he was later evacuated to the Rabin Medical Center-Beilinson Campus in Petah Tikva, where he died.

IDF sources said that Tamimi had thrown a number of rocks at security forces and that a slingshot was found on his body when he was taken to the hospital.”

• Avi_G.
      December 12, 2011, 3:55 am

First off, “Israeli security forces” are in fact Israeli occupation forces.

The only “security” they serve is that of rabid colonists in the nearby colony of Halamish.

And if Israeli thugs can sail some 70 miles out into international waters, attack a ship that is not Israel-bound, murder 9 of the passengers on-board and still pretend as though its act was in self-defense, then Palestinians marching in protest of the occupation of their town certainly have a legal and moral right to resist armored military vehicles from which Israeli sadists have been firing tear gas.

Whether Mustafa Tamimi was throwing rocks or not is irrelevant. Israel has no business in Nabi Saleh. Its forces should not be there, and the nearby colony of Halamish — built on land stolen from Nabi Saleh — should certainly not be there.

Incidentally, that little backgrounder to which you linked somehow forgets to mention that Israeli thugs fired teargas into a protest that had started as a peaceful demonstration and escalated by none other than Israeli thugs.

link to aljazeera.com

But Israel’s attempt to lay the blame on the victims is par for the course because neither Israeli society, nor leaders, nor followers — useful idiots like you — have a molecule of human dignity or an ounce of honesty.

• LeaNder
        December 12, 2011, 7:15 am

Avi, weren’t there times (first intifada/the war of stones) when all funerals were forbidden, not sure, but as “political gatherings”?

• Shmuel
        December 12, 2011, 7:42 am

I was in the army during the first intifada, and I remember that the bodies of Palestinians killed by Israeli forces were generally held in the Israeli-controlled Palestinian hospitals in the OT “pending autopsy”, and were inevitably “stolen” by the families for immediate burial. I don’t recall any specific prohibition against funerals, although public gatherings of most kinds were indeed forbidden. Public funerals were definitely held (maybe not in all cases), and were often the scene of, or precursor to renewed violence.

• Avi_G.
        December 12, 2011, 8:32 am

LeaNder,

I don’t recall funerals being forbidden as a matter of official policy per se, but Israeli forces often treated them as illegal gatherings. When I write “treated them”, I mean that even when funerals were somber and quiet peaceful marches, Israeli forces still found a way to provoke and antagonize people. In most cases it didn’t take much to provoke someone whose land was stolen and whose people were under occupation. Simple mockery of the funeral or the deceased often easily inflamed the atmosphere. Imagine seeing soldiers giggling and joking around while a funeral passed by. But such provocations were the ‘best case scenario’, if you will. Oftentimes, the military would arrest one or two family members of the deceased just to make the grieving process all the more painful and bitter.

Incidentally, Ben Lorber has just posted a series of photos that show how the — presumably — last military vehicle leaving was the one that fired the fatal shot that killed Mustafa Tamimi. The soldier by the door simply wanted to ‘teach those Palestinians a lesson’. He certainly didn’t have to shoot at anyone. They could have easily driven away. But, instead, they chose to show that young Palestinian that they are the final authority in that land as driving away could have given Palestinians the ‘wrong’ impression that their resistance was succeeding. But soldiers sitting in the back of an armored vehicle don’t always make these calculations. For them, it’s a simple case of lavi la-Arabush akhat ba-rosh, putting one (shot) in that filthy Arab’s head.

• LeaNder
        December 12, 2011, 8:54 am

Thanks Shmuel, I had an extensive correspondence with an Israeli (American Israeli) and the artist John Morita, after he was accused of being an propagandist and an antisemite on list on antisemitism. Unfortunately I lost it due to a PC crash without backup of the mails. It was emotionally highly difficult for me, but in the end I trusted John Morita more than Dr. x.

Reconstructing Memories

John Morita, by Aaron Kerner

John Morita

By now he has updated his site, but there were quite a few photos taken at funerals. The most difficult part for me was, and still largely is, my sparse knowledge of the (old) martyrs as some kind of photo inside the photo next to the (new) martyr’s heads.

But he told me he was interviewed for hours before he was allowed to come along to photograph the funerals. He seems to have taken these images down by now. And I seem to remember some were taken after dusk or at night. Which at the time suggested restrictions to me.

• LeaNder
        December 12, 2011, 9:11 am

Thanks Avi, see my response to Shmuel, about why I asked this question.

Yes, that’s what much from the Israeli side felt like to me. But I also have to admit I never really understood the way Palestinians treat their martyrs.

What exactly does “found on the body” suggest. It doesn’t say he used it, but were should he have hidden it. Not that it matters in context, but why do they say so?

• Avi_G.
        December 12, 2011, 9:17 am

That could very well have been the result of military curfews. During the first Intifada, curfews were usually imposed during the night, but their implementation was random to the extent that there were also many daytime curfews. Anyone who went out during curfew hours risked getting shot by the army. In addition, curfews were heavily used on refugee camps, to include many in Gaza and the northern West Bank.

• Avi_G.
        December 12, 2011, 9:55 am

Perhaps the term “body” was mistakenly used by whomever wrote the report. The point is that Israeli authorities are implying that since a slingshot was found on his person, then he clearly had intention of throwing stones and therefore his shooting was justified. That’s Israel’s rationale, as if to say, without even looking into this case, we can outright tell you right now that the guy had it coming. We rest our case. Case closed. Move along.

Though there is no comparison, one can think of it as the we-found-a-gun-on-him scenario that police officers in the US sometimes use in justifying their shooting someone 52 times, for example.

In Israel’s case, it’s simply a way to whitewash yet another incident as Our soldiers act according to strict rules, and in this case their actions were justified.

• Shmuel
        December 12, 2011, 1:22 pm

As I mentioned, the bodies were usually held by the occupation authorities and “stolen” from the hospitals by the families. The funerals were then organised quickly and conducted immediately, for fear that the Israelis would interfere. This probably explains why many of the photos you saw were taken in twilight or darkness.

• asherpat
        December 12, 2011, 10:45 am

I wonder who is the “useful idiot” among us two, Avraham/Avi…

December 12, 2011, 7:07 pm

“I wonder who is the “useful idiot” among us…”

Well, since there are two qualifiers, do you do anything useful, asherpat?

December 12, 2011, 7:31 pm

“I wonder who is the “useful idiot” among us two, Avraham/Avi…”

Asherpat, you need to talk to “eee”. You see, “eee” holds the keys to the kingdom, so to speak. He can get those “useful idiots” reduced to Amalekites in no time flat, and then of course, they are fair game. Don’t let the fact that they are Jewish hold you back. “eee” and his lynch mob (“the Jewish community”) know how to fix that!

• Chaos4700
        December 12, 2011, 9:25 pm

Only one of you two is an idiot, asherpat. I think that narrows it down some.

• seafoid
      December 12, 2011, 7:29 am

They found a slingshot on his body. Sure they did

• Chaos4700
      December 12, 2011, 9:36 am

..and then the IDF came back and started beating up on the man’s family.

So I guess to you guys, the only good Palestinian is a dead Palestinian, huh?

6. seafoid
    December 12, 2011, 4:35 am

Israeli autism.
    The only cure is BDS.

7. seafoid
    December 12, 2011, 6:13 am

When it is all over and the dust settles it would be nice if Rothschild Boulevard in Tel Aviv could be renamed Nabi Saleh Road

8. NickJOCW
    December 12, 2011, 9:22 am

Armies are necessarily hierarchical. Someone needs to be brought before an international court for this inexcusable and inhuman behaviour. Where does does responsibility rest, what is his name and rank or job title?

• Avi_G.
      December 12, 2011, 10:14 am

Nick,

It doesn’t work that way. What you describe works in a system that has a few criminals here and there, individuals. The Israeli army and the society that supports it, are both morally rotten to the core. You’re looking for accountability where the concept might as well not exist. And it goes for the rank and file, all the way to the top echelons in the cabinet room. Those who dare question any of it, are quickly and immediately marginalized, stomped and eradicated.

That goes for cases when the rules of engagement are followed or not. It really doesn’t matter. If the rules of engagement are illegal under international law in the first place, then there is no accountability. If they are within international law, then there are 101 ways for the army to circumvent them and for the system to cover its own behind. One hand washes the other to the extent that an entire country can be said to be in on it. And that is no exaggeration by any stretch of the imagination.

• asherpat
      December 12, 2011, 10:42 am

@NickJOCW – where in “this inexcusable and inhuman behaviour” is a crime that needs to be prosecuted? The man actively participated in a violent demonstration, himself using acts of violence (throwing rocks and potentially letal slingshot pellets), gets hit by a non-lethal and perfectly legal weapon and unfortunately dies. What crime exactly happened here?

• Woody Tanaka
        December 12, 2011, 11:16 am

Only in the warped, immoral mindset of zionists like asherpat is blowing off the side of someone’s head with a gas cannaster at close range an appropriate response to throwing a stone at an armoured vehicle. Filth excusing filth.

• dumvitaestspesest
        December 12, 2011, 11:35 am

Young, Jewish man was trying to get out of the Warsaw’s ghetto.
        He digged the whole under the wall, and tried to escape to the other side.
        German soldiers saw it, from the distance, an ordered him to stop this violent, highly illegal effort of civil disobedience, ( he had a small ,sharp metal shovel on him).
        He did not listen to them. The soldiers fired a few shots randomly , and one of the bullets hit the man ,and unfortunately he died.
        What crime exactly happened here??

• asherpat
        December 12, 2011, 3:10 pm

@dumbvitastpeset,

the following is wrong with your analogy:

1. Israel does not exterminate Arabs like the Nazis did to the Jews, I guess that u will raise the usual genocide points and in advance wud ask you to bring numbers and facts to back up your analogy. Pls.
        2. The Jewish man in your example was not attacking the soldier, or was it? The Arab man was attacking the soldiers.
        3. The soldier in your example fired live rounds, I presume. In Israel, if live rounds were used, hundreds more wud be killed.

Pls explain your analogy again using logic and rationale.

• Avi_G.
        December 12, 2011, 12:22 pm

asherpat says:
        December 12, 2011 at 10:42 am

You can start by actively trying to end the ongoing occupation for the violent act that it is. You can start by calling for an end to the theft of Palestinian land for the violent act that it is.

This is David and Goliath redux, and the world will continue to cheer on David for as long as oppression and injustice exist.

Instead, you twist and turn in order to manipulate reality to fit your ideology, to make Goliath the victim. It’s quite sad, vis-a-vis useful idiots.

• asherpat
        December 12, 2011, 3:44 pm

@Avi, love your David/Goliath analogy! hilarious.

Cos last time they met, the Jew beat the Palestinian!

• Chaos4700
        December 12, 2011, 9:22 pm

Cos last time they met, the Jew beat the Palestinian!

Back in the good ol’ days, when a Jewish army could just raze whole cities to the ground, slaughter fields of cattle, just execute whole communities who had the audacity to not drop dead on the spot and — oh wait. I suppose 1947 wasn’t that long ago.

You know, asherpat, some Jews aren’t actually as barbaric and primitive as their ancestors from thousands upon thousands of years ago. Thought you should maybe be informed of that.

• MarkF
        December 13, 2011, 10:25 am

asherpat said:
        “Cos last time they met, the Jew beat the Palestinian!”

And David decapitated him, and pranced the head around before bringing it to the king. Then David doinked a married woman, got her pregnant and killed her husband.

Even your liberal neocon fake Newt Gingrich wouldn’t do this, would he? But fake righties like asherpat of course thinks David’s actions are defendable, and asherpat takes pride for acts such as decapitation. I’m sure you wear a star of David in his honor, right?

• Woody Tanaka
        December 13, 2011, 12:13 pm

“@Avi, love your David/Goliath analogy! hilarious.

Cos last time they met, the Jew beat the Palestinian!”

David was a myth. Like the Zionist claim to Palestine.

December 12, 2011, 7:17 pm

“What crime exactly happened here?”

asherpat, you have got to answer a question which is torturing me. I’m just a Jew from America, and only familiar with American ways and mores. Do you consult with a Rabbi or other Jewish Leader concerning either the general thrust or even the specific wording of your comments?
        Or do you think using your own judgement on the premises, contentions and wordings of your comments is the best way to defend and promote the interests of Zionism?
        I am still completely mystified about this.

• asherpat
        December 13, 2011, 1:41 am

Mooser, if you know the Bible, you will notice the following reccomendation:

I dont need a rabbi to understand this saying and its relevance to the situation today. And the comment by Avraham_G, err, Avi_G about “useful idiots” is also relevant in your case.

Moser, you are a member of a new ethnicity – the “Asajews”. That is, those who say “As a Jew, I condemn Insrael for this and that”…

• Shmuel
        December 13, 2011, 2:32 am

Mooser, if you know the Bible, you will notice the following reccomendation:

That’s Midrash not Bible, and the right to self-defence is universal. Believe it or not, even Palestinians have the right to defend themselves against their heavily-armed and armoured occupiers.

• Hostage
        December 13, 2011, 4:36 am

if you know the Bible, you will notice the following reccomendation: “Ha-Kam lehorgekha, hashkem lehorgo” [Wake-up or get-up] early to kill the one who gets up to kill you.

The residents of Nabi Saleh weren’t rising up to kill the members of the IDF. They were protesting the theft of village lands by the nearby Jewish-only settlement. So, the law of breaking in (Sanhedrin 72a) would be more appropriately applied to the actions of the Israeli thieves:

MISHNAH. [THE THIEF] WHO BURROWS HIS WAY IN IS JUDGED ON ACCOUNT OF ITS PROBABLE OUTCOME. IF HE BROKE THROUGH AND BROKE A JUG, SHOULD THERE BE ‘BLOOD-GUILTINESS FOR HIM, HE MUST PAY [FOR THE JUG], BUT IF THERE IS NO ‘BLOOD-GUILTINESS FOR HIM, HE IS NOT LIABLE.

GEMARA. Raba said: what is the reason for the law of breaking in? Because it is certain that no man is inactive where his property is concerned; therefore this one [the thief] must have reasoned, ‘If I go there, he [the owner] will oppose me and prevent me; but if he does I will kill him.’ Hence the Torah decreed, ‘If he come to slay thee, forestall by slaying him’. link to halakhah.com

• asherpat
        December 13, 2011, 4:42 am

@Shmuel,

• Shmuel
        December 13, 2011, 5:05 am

The distortion of reality is the claim that armed soldiers sent to enforce the theft of Palestinian land merely act in self-defence when confronted by unarmed* protesters (on the protesters’ own land!). Your ideas of cause and effect, attacker and victim, are severely warped.

*On the “life-threatening” potential of stones, see tree’s link to Haaretz. For some strange reason, stone-throwing settlers (inside an army base!) are not only not shot on site; they are not even arrested.

• Hostage
        December 13, 2011, 5:20 am

Oh for goodness sakes, your soldiers are helping a bunch of thieves steal their land, destroy their homes, and kill their friends and neighbors. They have a perfect right to defend themselves against all of that. You only make yourself look ridiculous to civilized people when you come here and try to make us feel sorry for the goon squads that Israel deploys to brutalize the victims of your apartheid policies. Fah q.

• asherpat
        December 13, 2011, 6:41 am

Shmuel – if protesters with stones and slingshots are “unarmed” and if stones and slingshots are not “life-threatening”, then why do they always protest using these useless things? Why not protest by throwing say, roses (even if thorned) at the soldiers? After all, they don’t mean to harm the soldies, do they?

Pls explain, it will be interesting to hear.

• Shmuel
        December 13, 2011, 6:51 am

Asher,

The reason the IDF (and the Israel Police and Border Police) kills Palestinians is because they are Palestinians. Were it because of the rocks, there would be a lot of dead settlers and Haredim as well. There aren’t.

• Donald
        December 13, 2011, 6:56 am

There’s a double standard on stone throwing. The revolt which overthrew Mubarak involved stone throwing by protestors and street battles with the police and most people (with the exception of many Israelis and some of their supporters) cheered them on. You even see Egypt’s revolt described as “nonviolent”. This is because it was far less violent than the reaction of the security forces, which was lethal. This isn’t hard to understand. What is hard for a pro-Israel racist to understand is that the same logic should apply to people oppressed by Israeli thugs.

• asherpat
        December 13, 2011, 8:22 am

@Shmuel,

Pls bring statistics – i.e., so many violent protests by Arabs and so many by Jews, and perhaps then we will cry-out in indignation, or more likely, we will realise that there are 100 times more violent protests by Arabs.

• Shmuel
        December 13, 2011, 8:38 am

Pls bring statistics …

Really, Asher. Please be serious. You know as well as I do, that Israeli forces have never opened fire on or used “non-lethal” weapons in such a lethal fashion against Jews behaving at least as dangerously as the protesters at Nabi Saleh. The situations are analogous, but the orders are different. It’s as simple as that.

I have had stones thrown at me both by Haredim and by Palestinians. Believe me, there is no difference.

• asherpat
        December 13, 2011, 12:19 pm

Shnuel, you mean you were a soldier in IDF and were thrown stones by both Haredim and Palestinians?

• Shmuel
        December 13, 2011, 12:35 pm

No, I was not carrying a weapon, travelling in an armoured vehicle or wearing protective gear at the time.

• MarkF
        December 13, 2011, 1:21 pm

“As a Jew…”

Please, look who’s the useful idiot. Israel shakes us down for cold hard cash right before Yizkor service when we memorialize our loved ones. I’m sure you’ve passed the bond card down the isle a time or two. I’d argue that makes you one of the useful idiots. Israel uses you for money and political cover, and your concern is not for American Jewry, but for Israeli Jewry.

Anyone such as yourself who blindly follows the pack is the real useful idiot. After all, without you, who else could take 3 billion a year in welfare from the mouths of us Americans?

Useful for Israel? Yes. An idiot for what you’re doing to Americans? Yes.

Maybe you could be called a “WhateverJew”. Whatever Israel wants, you say YES no matter what or at what expense.

• Hostage
        December 13, 2011, 1:40 pm

Pls bring statistics

Okay here is just one example. A list of children that were either shot or stoned by settlers and a video of settlers stoning school kids in Hebron right in front of the IDF:
        Settler Violence Against Palestinian Children 2008-2009: Summaries
        link to dci-pal.org
        Settlers stone Palestinian school kids in Hebron

• tree
        December 13, 2011, 4:37 am

Compare and contrast what happened to Tamimi and what went down yesterday at an army post in the West Bank. Violent protesters broke into an IDF military base, threw stones, burned tires, vandalized military vehicles, and injured a soldier there. No arrests were made and none of the protesters/rock throwers were killed or injured by the IDF. What explains the different outcome? The violent protesters were right-wing Jews. This proves that the IDF knows perfectly well how to restrain its violent impulses when protests are held by Jews, including protests that are several orders of magnitude more violent than the Palestinian protest in they own village. Jews can even infiltrate an army base and still there there wasn’t even a single arrest.

Some 50 settlers and right-wing activists entered a key West Bank military base early Tuesday morning and threw rocks, burned tires, and vandalized military vehicles.

The settlers were acting in response to a rumor that the IDF would act to evict a West Bank settlement in accordance with an August Supreme Court ruling.In the attack on the Efraim Regional Brigade’s base near the West Bank city of Qalqilya, right-wing activists threw stones at region’s brigade commander and his deputy after forcefully opening the door to their jeep. The brigade commander was lightly wounded after a stone hit his head.

In addition to the attack on the IDF base, right-wing activists blocked a main West Bank road and threw stones at passing Palestinian vehicles and IDF soldiers in the area.

Around 100 right-wing activists and settlers came to the area of the base before 50 of them enetered the base, according to the IDF spokesman.

The youths were repelled by security forces. No arrests were made.

link to haaretz.com

• Cliff
        December 13, 2011, 7:00 am

NO ARRESTS WERE MADE

lol

Let that be an end to all the inane verbiage we are hearing from the Zionist crew.

A Palestinian, on his land, protesting the creeping ethnic cleansing and on-going colonization of his land is murdered at point blank by the colonial goon-army.

He is later mocked by the colonial army who present a picture of a slingshot as justification for blowing his face off.

The next day, the colonial army violently breaks up the funeral procession for the murdered Palestinian protester.

No real investigation will take place. No reprecussions.

Meanwhile, the land-stealing illegal Jewish colonists GO TO AN IDF MILITARY BASE and RIOT.

No arrests made.

End of story.

There is no parity between the occupier and the occupied.

• eljay
        December 13, 2011, 8:13 am

>> … indeed, the Arabs have every right to defend themselves as they see fit. What they dont have, is a right to distort reality and whine when they are hurt when attacking soldiers.

Hmmm…so, Palestinians have “every right to defend themselves as they see fit” against Israeli Occupation Forces, but if they use rocks to do so, they are suddenly “attacking” those Israeli Occupation Forces.

(Straight out of RW’s playbook: The rapist’s victim is also an “aggressor” because she dares to slap and punche the rapist – rather than shower him with roses – as he continues to rape her.)

So, the onus is not on the Israeli Occupation Forces to stop occupying, it is for the Palestinians to “play nice” with their brutal occupation overlords.

Zio-supremacists sure are hateful and immoral.

• Memphis
        December 13, 2011, 10:33 am

What Crime? Murder.

The soldier fired the tear gas cannister in such away that did not follow IDF regulations when shooting a tear gas cannister

Stones are not lethal weapons, and pose no threat. THere is the issue of proportionality.

The occupation is illegal, and any act that occurs as a result of that occupation is a crime

Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association. And these demonstrations are peaceful until met with a violent response from the IDF

As my boy Tupac said

They call me militant, racist cause I will resist
        You wanna censor somethin, motherfucker censor this!
        My words are weapons, and I’m steppin to the silent
        Wakin up the masses, but you, claim that I’m violent

• pjdude
        December 13, 2011, 4:27 pm

tear gas is only non lethal when you know your not shooting the cannisters at people

9. Mooser
    December 12, 2011, 7:21 pm

Avi, Shmuel, can you tell me? Do they actually believe they are helping to advance either the cause of Israel or the cause of peace, or do they just get a kick out of throwing my helplessness in my face, as long as they have the advantage?
    And these are the people who tell me they are better Jews than me, and I should listen to them, and give them money? Why shouldn’t I assume they will treat me like an Arab, or a woman? And why shouldn’t I assume (after all, it’s always been true before) that they will whine and blubber, then run away, when they lose the advantage?

• Chaos4700
      December 12, 2011, 9:27 pm

There were Nazis who literally stomped on people with their thick soled boots, just because they could and that satisfied some animalistic need for them.

The same principle applies here. Think of that when you look at asherpat. It may help you understand what motivates him. Because it isn’t sympathy for his fellow man.

• Shmuel
      December 13, 2011, 2:39 am

You’re just another mo(o)ser in their for-or-agin-us reactionary world.

• LeaNder
        December 13, 2011, 8:39 am

Interesting Shmuel:

In Germany.

Worse than in Spain were the conditions in German countries, where the governments protected the informers. The expulsion of the Jews from Augsburg, Nuremberg, and Ratisbon, and the persecutions in Posen, Frankfort-on-the-Main, and Wormsare traceable to informers. A certain Hirschel Meyer, through his denunciations, caused his coreligionists much trouble previous to their expulsion from Vienna in 1670.

Yes, informers are always helpful in authoritarian structures, I noticed this a couple of years back in a art-project in the huge forensic psychiatry. It’s the core of the Nazi system too. Interesting, I’ll look at the source: Allgemeine Zeitung des Judentums, Vol. 61, no. 35, 27 Aug. 1897, p. 413-416.

• Shmuel
        December 13, 2011, 8:51 am

Yes, informers are always helpful in authoritarian structures

Israel too has used informers to great advantage. It’s sometimes hard to judge people who turn informer (real informers that is, as opposed to the products of over-active paranoid imaginations), or even those who seek revenge for harsh and unforgiving treatment at the hands of their own community. On the other hand, when the danger is real, it is equally hard to judge communities subject to external, authoritarian control for trying to protect themselves.

10. Mooser
    December 12, 2011, 7:58 pm

I think I see what I am groping towards. I can very easily see even American Jews who are Zionist, who basically believe in the “haven” argument or the “self-determination” argument coming to believe that the Zionists, as we know them, are simply not the people who can be trusted to carry this out, to create a “haven” instead of a hell, or create a “Jewish democracy” instead of a Zionist oligarchy and militarised expansionist state.

11. NickJOCW
    December 13, 2011, 4:38 am

This is becoming like a gangrene spreading through the world.

If the UN can investigate the flotilla debacle why can they, or some other body, not investigate atrocities like this? It might not change anything but it would extend awareness.

Also, why is there no accessible memorial to these victims? Imagine a series of granite slabs with names carved and an option for people, collectively or individually, to sponsor slabs or the carving of names. Cairo would be a good place for it since the Israelis would hardly dare desecrate it there, and it is accessible place of pilgrimage. BDS is fine and worthwhile but out of the hands of most ordinary sympathisers like me. Such a memorial would be something we could support as well as being a significant place for better known people to visit and pay their respects.

12. seafoid
    December 13, 2011, 10:01 am

Israel is powerless in the settlements

link to haaretz.com