Mr. Adelson, how do you think your money was spent?

Check out this video from the Norweigian newspaper Dagbladet. Doesn’t seem we can embed it on the site, but it shows a reporter from the paper asking Sheldon Adelson at the how he thinks his donations to the Romney campaign were spent. Adelson answers:

By paying bills. That’s how you spend money. Either that or become a Jewish husband, you spend a lot of money.

Max Blumenthal, who sent the video along, commented on Twitter:

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.
Posted in American Jewish Community, Media, US Politics

{ 28 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Citizen says:

Adelson is the tiny Master astride Blaster in Thunderdome. And that was in what town?

2. pabelmont says:

Max B is too hard on the old dear. For him, $100M (or whatever) is less than pocket money and of course he gives pocket money to his wife. He’s Jewish, everybody knows it, and he is her Jewish husband. QED.

• Dan Crowther says:

Yup.

We’re all Jewish husbands.

• Citizen says:

“We’re all Jewish husbands.”
        What do you mean? Is it the same as what Adelson seems to imply, what is schtick for Jewish stand up comedians? Husbands that dote on their wife’s every material whim? Or what?

• Mooser says:

So glad I was here to see this! Dan, with unerring and purposeful inaccuracy says “We’re all Jewish husbands”

And Citizen blows a gasket! No, why on earth would that line get in amongst him so?

Hey, don’t get on my case, Citizen, have some compassion. Can you imagine what it’s like to be a Jewish husband to a non-Jewish woman? I never get my way. She has a whim of iron!

• Dan Crowther says:

I’m saying Jewish wives hardly have a monopoly on spending their husbands money. Every married man I know says the same thing. I was joking around; in fact in most instances where people mention “jewish” in their description of their behavior, they’re really describing universal traits. “I’m an over protective jewish mother” or “i’m a jewish husband, which means my wife tells me what to do.” Who DOESN’T this describe?

• Citizen says:

@ Dan Crowther
          The matter of degree is very important, to say the very least. You’ve lived a very sheltered life it seems.

• Dan Crowther says:

Citizen says:
          November 10, 2012 at 1:04 pm
          @ Dan Crowther

—————-

That’s news to me. It takes a real arrogant you know what to make these kinds of sweeping generalizations. And we’ve been down this road before.

You do a horrible “jaded angry white man” Citizen – it’s a tired act. You don’t work harder than others, you’re not owed anything, no one screwed you over, your country hasn’t been taken from you, you aren’t the last true “Citizen” among us. You’re just an old white guy who thinks too much of himself. So head back down to the VFW and cry to your Nam buddies about how spoiled and sheltered others are, maybe they’ll care.

• Citizen says:

@Dan Crowther

So what do you enjoy most, watching sitcoms and comedians make fun of uncut penises? You started with the sweeping generalization, don’t you remember? Anybody can call it up here–about how we are all “Jewish husbands”? Sorry, count me out. And don’t expect me to apologize for my military service in a combat unit. And, no issue with you for not caring. Why should you be different than Congress?

• Citizen says:

Oh yeah, semper fi!

3. Shmuel says:

Is that the hired muscle Miriam was speaking to in Hebrew (“Excuse me, excuse me, we have to go.”)? Another way of spending money, I guess.

4. So someone actually wants to make this remark out to be anti-semitic?
    I think that anti semitic is a reprehensible accusation and ought to be reserved for race haters who commit violent acts upon those of said race.

5. Kathleen says:

Adam this made it up on Hardball tonight. They showed the clip of Adelson saying “pay the bills” and “become a Jewish husband” comment. Matthews, John Heilman and Micheal Isikoff all laughed uncomfortably about the “Jewish husband” comment. Overa at Hardball

• Citizen says:

@ Kathleen
      I didn’t get the feeling Matthews laughed uncomfortably; he appeared easily gleeful and totally at home with said comment. Isikoff showed no emotion, as I recall the incident.

• Kathleen says:

Not sure of exactly what Matthews was laughing at. “Jewish husband” spending lots of money. You are right that Isikoff showed no emotion but he seemed uncomfortable with it

6. RE: “Did an anti-Semite dream this guy [Sheldon Adelson] up?” ~ Max Blumenthal

MY COMMENT: Sheldon Adelson wasn’t exactly the product of someone’s dreams. Somewhat to the contrary, the anti-Semitic bully boys in his south Boston neighborhood apparently made him what he is.

SEE: “Washington Post front page: Adelson demanded that Romney ‘join him in steadfast support of Israel’”, by Philip Weiss, Mondoweiss, 10/24/12

[EXCERPTS] On its front page today, the ‘Washington Post’ has a personality profile of Sheldon Adelson . . .
    . . . There’s a lot in this piece about motivation, and ethnic resentment, and Israel being at the heart of that motivation . . .
    . . . And Fisher links it with generational Jewish identity issues, involving the Holocaust and anti-Semitism in the U.S.:
    As World War II raged across the ocean, in a neighborhood of south Boston that was home to more Jews than any American city outside New York, kids like Sheldon Adelson learned that being a Jew in America both put a target on their backs and gave them a blessed refuge.
    Like other Jewish teens in Dorchester, young Sheldon was occasionally beaten up by Irish kids full of anti-Semitic vinegar . . .

SOURCE – link to mondoweiss.net

P.S. “FREE DON” SIEGELMAN PETITION – link to change.org

• P.P.S. PETER GABRIEL, 1992:

Something in me, dark and sticky
      All the time it’s getting strong
      No way of dealing with this feeling
      Can’t go on like this too long

[Chorus]
      This time you’ve gone too far [x3]
      I told you [x4]
      This time you’ve gone too far [x3]
      I told you [x4]

Don’t talk back
      Just drive the car
      Shut your mouth
      I know what you are
      Don’t say nothing
      Keep your hands on the wheel
      Don’t turn around
      This is for real
      Digging in the dirt
      Stay with me, I need support
      I’m digging in the dirt
      To find the places I got hurt
      Open up the places I got hurt . . .

Peter Gabriel: Digging In The Dirt [VIDEO, 05:30] – link to youtube.com

• Citizen says:

More on Adelson’s youth and how he’s made his money, and where most of his charity goes: link to bostonglobe.com

BTW
      You don’t have to have been born Jewish in a lower class neighborhood to be bullied by an ethnic group of youths or two. Bullying is so common in High School that now we have laws against it.

• aiman says:

“Sheldon Adelson wasn’t exactly the product of someone’s dreams. Somewhat to the contrary, the anti-Semitic bully boys in his south Boston neighborhood apparently made him what he is.”

There are two types of humans: ones who will grow to empathise with others after facing persecution and others like Adelson who will lash out at others after garnering power. At the end it’s all about the individual who indeed has a choice in how to live.

7. piotr says:

The bad news is that a recent SCOTUS decision allows unlimited contributions to campaigns with some minor legal alchemy. The good news is that lots of that money is spent stupidly, including a nice chunk of Adelson’s money.

I read a bit about campaign of Allen West. Not only he got 1.5 million from Adelson, but altogether he collected 17 million. On a Congressional race. Allegedly, huge portion of that was spent on ads featuring his opponent, Patrick Murphy, being arrested 9 years ago for a brawl, under aged drinking and a fake ID. However, Murphy, a young accountant, got 3 million dollars for his campaign, which is by itself an astounding number (or used to be!) and his ads featured West performing a mock execution that ended his military carrier. The district is mostly Republican, and West alienated some moderate Republicans, underperforming Romney quite a bit.

So yet another Irish kid beat up poor Adelson.

The larger scheme is that totally loony people like Walsh and West get unbelievable amount of money for their campaigns (not merely from Adelson) and often win as a result. However, quite often they are too loony to pull it off.

By the way, I also read a comment on the biggest win of Mr. Adelson, senatorial seat of Nevada. A commenter complained that the looser was actually a Congresswoman with a totally pristine record on Israel (I suspect, pristine in the usual way) and the only reason Adelson was after her was that she supported casino workers in a labor dispute.

8. flyod says:

adelson spent his money wisely guaranteeing israel’s voice be heard loud and clear should there have been the republican victory. an insurance policy if you will . no different than the big money spent on obama by the likes of saban, rosen, et al. the game is rigged right from the start and the palestinians come out big losers either way.

9. Betsy says:

is this misogynist? putting the blame on the woman (rather than his own self)? Isn’t this a weird tying together of ethnic & gender biases — to stereotype Jewish women?

10. Citizen says:

@ Betsy
    Sure. He thought he was being cute. Haven’t you ever read any Jewish American novelists, or watched any Jewish American stand-up comedians? Never saw old clips of the Catskill comedians? Or more recently, watched satiric cartoon embedded with such stuff second hand, such as Family Guy or American Dad, or, gee, haven’t you watched shows like The Nanny or the plethora of old TV comedy serials with the stock Jewish man or woman character (less clearly defined, than say, on Seinfeld, where nobody but Jerry is declared Jewish)? Get a gander at Larry David’s best buddy’s wife on Curb Your Enthusiasm?

• Mooser says:

“Never saw old clips of the Catskill comedians?”

Those interested in testing the validity of Citizen’s comment or, like me, rendered lachrymose with “nostalgie de la Jewe” can start here.

11. Les says:

If you declared him to be sexist for the claim of being a victim as is a Jewish husband, you would be charged with being an anti-Semite.